4.0

1. Sep 29, 2011
    Gameplay that would feel right at home in the early 90's are the most forgivable of this games many faults. The campain and skirmish modes lack all that made the books so great. The ai is terrible, the political and underhanded side of the game is insulting after reading what the devs/publishers had to say...I know this sounds stunted and isn't much of a review but this game actually made me angry, that's how bad it is the graphics match the 90's gameplay and yet the load times are terrible. The skirmish mode's victory conditions can't be altered so you will lose over and over again for no apparent reason often related to your kingdoms "prestige" stat...bah just don't buy it it's awful. Not only because it plays and looks bad but because the books deserve far far better. hopefully someone makes a total war nock off with the promised deep political system that cyanide would have us believe is in this game, now that would be worth $40. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    Some people here must be joking. Cyanides own forums is teeming over with people who are literally pissed off at this game for not delivering what it promised.
    Basically what it is, is a very shallow world, if we take the HvH mode. No location or city or town got any names assigned to them. Your own capital town is called Feudal home. Very rich, very immersive. The game itself bases around
    gathering 100 presige points, which you have many ways to get but many fewer ways to lose. Generally speaking a game is rather short, since 100 prestige points isn't hard to achieve. When you've got them you won, game's over byebye cya next time. The only reason they label it "Brute military force is not the only way to win" is because brute military force can't win the game. By the time you get to tedious wars, the game is over. The game is really a capture the node game. Start with a base, send out envoys, noble ladies, spies and god knows what, and "ally" surrounding towns to gain income. You send out a peasant to manage the fields and 1-2 merchants to every town and gold mine to gain money. Essentially it's just a capture the node game dressed up and labelled as something creative. Unfortunately they failed to deliver. There are no hotkeys, no way to assign armies, the minimap is rubbish and the instructions and information is either wrong or contain typos. Unlike my review, their text should be flawless, the least to expect from a company. Nonetheless it's not. You can find "loose" instead of "lose" along with information that the minimap is on the left side while it's on the right. It could've been done so much better. In fact with a lot of tweaking it's a promising concept, just drop all the focus on the neutrals and increase the diplomacy and underhanding with the other houses. Give it a decent combat system, not combat focused, but you should atleast be able to fight your way through a game if you'd like that. Add more options. For heavens sake there's not even a way to change the victory requirements in HvH.
    No spend your money elsewhere and don't let those "I rank this game 8 because I've never played any other strategy game and I think this is kind of good" fool you. There's a flood of better Strategy games out there. Europa Universalis 3, The Total War series, Civilization etc etc.
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    Very disappointed. Thought I was buying a fun wargame which uses the Game of Thrones lore, and instead it ended up looking like a very generic boring type of game with little combat and slow-paced diplomacy with no real depth. Just send your envoy, capture a random "town", gain more gold, rinse and repeat. I stopped playing after about an hour, I'm just really disappointed with this game, a good strategy wargame based on the Game of Thrones universe would have been awesome but alas that's not the case here.

Note: You might like it if you enjoy slow-paced strategy games with a lot of repetetiveness and little combat, but if not then you'd probably be better off not spending your 40 bucks on this.
  4. Oct 1, 2011
    The realm A Game of Thrones takes place in is wondrous, exciting, imaginative and unique. Regrettably, the same cannot be said for the game--mainly due to the fact that it does not immerse you in this world and the game mechanics are not polished. In retrospect, it seems as if the game fails to deliver because of lazy developers. If you desire a strategy game, get Total War (any of them), a Civ game, Europa Univ or, if unit driven battles are your fancy, Star Wars: Empire at War. Whatever you do, don't be like me and buy this game for the lore, because it fails to deliver miserably in that respect. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2011
    SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!! I downloaded this via Steam hoping to find an exciting RTS based on the wonderful Song of Ice and Fire story. What I received was a snooze-fest of a game. My roommate also played the game and we are in full agreement it sucks on a massive scale. First off I've seen better graphics on my smart phone. The character movements are extremely slow. The first few missions make me feel like I am Bill Murray in Groundhog's Day. Send envoys, send spies, send assassins and repeat... ZZZZzzzzzz. My roommate suggested I wait for a professional review and game play footage before purchasing, damn I wish I would have listened to him. I thought how bad could it be? I wasn't expecting cutting edge graphics and I was fine with that as long as it had a cool storyline and decent game play. I strongly suggest that you do not purchase this game. The graphics are very poor, the characters are absolutely tiny even when fully zoomed in. There is little sound effects or music during game play. I can't believe I just blew $40 on this game. The graphics somewhat remind me of Age of Empires II which came out almost 10 years ago. The only upside to this game is that you may catch up on sleep. If the sheer boredom of the game does not send you into unconsciousness the ridiculous load times will. My roommate is a huge fan of the series of books that this game is supposedly based on and he is as disgusted with it as much as I am. That being said don't expect good graphics, good story, or good game play. Do expect less money in your pocket and a frown on your face. Expand
  6. Sep 29, 2011
    FUUUUUUUUUUUU, what is this crap??? Anyone trying to make the argument that this is anything but a garbage television ripoff has never played a good game before. Please keep your useless comments to yourselves so you don't confuse people and trick them into giving money to this dreadful developer, who should be burned at the stake for this desecration of GRRM's universe.
  7. Sep 29, 2011
    This game exhibits a stunning lack of depth. It is as though it were produced for play on machines from 3 generations ago and after they had implemented the lackluster graphics they decided that they should limit additional features to ensure that players could run it. More ridiculous then even the lack of depth is the publisher's decision to use tages, the most draconian of antiquated DRM schemes. I am sad for those who are genuine fans of GOT lore, because this game will certainly dash their hopes Expand
  8. Sep 29, 2011
    As a fan of the Game of Thrones series, I was enthusiastic about the release of this game and the boasting of his in depth gameplay. I was immediately smacked in the face with reality upon loading this game for the first time. First, the opening cinematics wouldn't display and the PC would just hang a black screen. This turned out to be because the game couldn't handle 1900x1200 graphics, so I had to edit the config file to disable the cinematics just to get the game to load.

Upon starting the game for the first time, I was filled with nostalgia as the games graphics and feel reminded me of the original Age of Empires game from the late 90's. The graphics aren't much more up to date than that.

Ignoring the look of it though, I pressed on through a bit of the campaign and a few skirmish modes, hoping that the game play would reflect something more meaningful. Unfortunately, it did not.

The "political intrigue" that was promised is nothing more than an annoying game of cat and mouse between your Envoy, Spy, Rogue, and Assassin characters. The entire political/underhanded sub plot to the game isn't anything new or exciting, it's just a tedious boredom.

The "armies" are made up of generic looking units who follow the typical rock paper scissors approach to combat, and the combat itself doesn't feel very satisfying. Even after a massive battle between multiple units I was left feeling disappointed. Games such as Warcraft were able to capture the frenetic pace and feel of a large scale fight, while Game of Thrones was barely able to capture my attention to them.

My love for the book and TV series drove me to continue playing, in hopes of finding a bright spot in the game. In the end though, I realized I had simply wasted $40 and a whole lot of time on a game that should have been relegated to the top shelves of Wal-Mart alongside the old $10 games.

Don't waste your money or your time on this. The game is an injustice to the world that George RR Martin built, and a sadly outdated addition to the RTS world.
  9. Sep 29, 2011
    I'm sorry, this is not a "political simulation" nor a "diplomacy-heavy" game. Europa Universalis is, Civilization is to some extent, but this is not. The "diplomatic and political" aspects of this game involve capturing towns with envoy characters and using crappy rock-paper-scissor mechanics for all other units. The graphics are atrocious, there are no hotkeys for an RTS game, the movement and revealing of units is bugged, and the game even got rushed out without any voice work for the tutorial (but enough crappy voice work for the characters themselves, huzzah).

I am rarely angry about purchasing a game, but GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire is a great series soiled by a horrible game. At least there's some precedent in it -- the first Star Wars games were pretty awful too, right? Graphics 0/10
    Sound 0/10
    Gameplay 1/10

Final score: 1/10
  10. Oct 1, 2011
    This game is pure garbage, and I wish I had saved my money. Controls are antiquated,with no hotkeys, Nothing of note or groundbreaking, just horrible game that you feel like came from 1995 era RTS explosion.

Even the Encyclopedia is light, with very limited and not very detailed information.

Save your money, and time and play rock, paper, scissors, because this is what this game is
    about, and has very very poor mechanics and adaptation of the George RR Martin world. Expand
  11. Sep 30, 2011
    Of all the GoT characters that GRR Martin should have already killed of, this is surely the most worthy of being put out of our collective misery.
    Cyanide has a history of shoveling out games with extremely low production values, and Genesis is no exception. The company's only well-received game is the medicre (but acceptable) 'Pro Cycling Manager', although most gamers who even know they
    exist will know them from their tragic adaptation of Blood Bowl (by Games Workshop).
    It would be possible to enjoy GoT:G, but there is no reason to even make the attempt - this game will not stand on it's own merits, and the only reason it may undeservedly turn a profit is the bizarre slapping of the GoT name on this abomination.
  12. Oct 6, 2011
    I enjoy RTS games, not as much as RPG's but being fed the tactical base building warcraft style from a early age. One can appreciate a much different approach. However, despite my intrigue A Game of Thrones just doesn't intrigue. The game is not superficial with the a song of ice and fire universe. It's clearly more of a tribute to George R.R. Martins works. Rather than a glorified immersion, which only the books (so far) can deliver. The issue isn't so much in the gameplay, be it lacking in uniqueness. No the real issue is how technically ill-fated this product is. Obvious to anyone with moderate knowledge of game design, this RTS was not ready for release. Cyanide studio attempt to create a simplistic graphical game, only hindered their programming, and localization. A great percentage of games bought simply just didn't work on systems. Be it loading, single-player or Multi-player. Cyanide studio, shouldn't be happy with how porous their release was. They've engineered buggy video games in the past, Loki and Blood Bowl. I can personally live with a few kinks here and there, but having a product, that doesn't function for many users across the spectrum of present technology is absurd. I can live in this DRM era that we gamers have been albeit at times reluctantly pushed into. I cannot live with non-functioning, irresponsible development. Thus we have A Game of Thrones, I do hope the issues are worked within the quagmire of code lies a different take on the RTS gen. I would've liked to have tested this product for Cyanide before it's shoddy release. 4/10 Expand
  13. Oct 3, 2011
    I thought I was back on my Compaq Presario in the 90's playing a C&C clone, all dreams aside...I did expect more from this game, all the complaints are true bad graphics, rotten interface, sad fact of not being able to save the game when, or where you want....because no one has a RL from time to time, the small family banner every unit has looks almost the same as all the others. Did they not look at any of the books? It would of been nice, you know to have names to the towns, castles, or mines. Please don't waste your hard earned money on this game...the owner of the GoT name really needs to find a software company that will do justice for the series, unfortunately I heard the same company is also working on a RPG GoT title.......oh say it ain't so. Next time I even think of running this game I need to remember I have Civ 5...........I had to change my rating after playing this abomination longer. Expand
  14. Oct 2, 2011
    First off you can tell this game is a waste of time cause their is no major critic reviews an its been out almost a week now, Tells you that even big names like PCgamer,IGN,Gamestop wont even waste their time reviewing this Heep of **** Save your money game is worth maybe 5-10 dollars at the utmost, Just padding the pockets of people who release crap like this an as far as I am concerned feel they can slap the faces of their customers by allowing **** like this to go live for sale. Expand
  15. Oct 8, 2011
    This would be a decent $10 bargain bin type of gain. Unfortunately for those of us who have spent $29.99 on it, it isn't. What we got was a lifeless game with outdated graphics, coupled with no support or documentation whatsoever.
  16. Oct 2, 2011
    an interesting "newish" approach to the RTS genre - which does not work that well. insultingly outdated graphics and nearly unusable navigation and interaction elements: soldiers are so tiny that your main game challenge will be figuring out where who or what is running around. the all too narrow zoom level on the cramped and tiny maps isnt helping either.
    as a game concept prototype and
    test candidate for, say, a game theory university: solid, if yet wanting. as a "a song of ice and fire" franchise game: insulting.
    has no game of thrones flair whatsoever. no castle has any other name then "feudal home" which leaves you guessing what things and locations are supposed to be - even if you are a die hard fan of the books. all in all: this game is sadly a total fail. especially when charged 40 euros on steam,. which is 54 USD.
  17. Oct 13, 2011
    For the saga fans just a premier of what we are waiting for. For the people who don't know the novel an weak option full of programing mistakes, slow and low graphics. Disappointing...
  18. Jan 10, 2012
    Well, what can I say. I give it a 2 out of 10, because while it does make some reference to the novels, which I have enjoyed, the gameplay and graphics are so terrible, they make the whole game appear to be little more than a feeble attempt to rip off the growing fan-base of the series with an expensive impulse buy. Do not buy this game, no matter how good the sale, it is a waste of money, and whats more, time. That being said, if you like games with simple graphics that are absolutely not fun or enjoyable save for a few references to a book series, then by all means, waste your life playing A Game of Thrones: Genesis, and leave the fun games to the rest of us. Expand
  19. Oct 10, 2011
    This game is rubbish, it lasted one hour on my hard drive. It is a terrible game and you'd be well advised to save your money. I should have read the reviews here before I purchased it.
  20. MJR
    Oct 13, 2011
    Do not let this game spoil A Song of Ice and Fire for you, as this in no way represents the books or TV series. I had a feeling in my gut that this was going to be terrible and unfortunately I was right. I didn't buy it but I did play and, well, it sucked a**. I really have no idea why they would make a game for the series in this particular way. If you were going to do a RTS style song of ice and fire game make it like total war or something. Better yet make an awesome RPG. Just not this garbage. Expand
  21. Oct 20, 2011
    Worst way to spend your money, i mean this is a robbery this game would be a hit at the late 90's but come on...30 Euro? 10 Euro and it would still be expensive. Sometimes it reminds me the legendary Z (you must be at least 28 years old to remember that game) but this one sucks big time. The battles are boring,the dialogs are lame, no feeling and especialy those who are fan of the book and the TV series they will be disappointed. Expand
  22. Oct 30, 2011
    OMG I truly hate wasting money on games that steal titles from actual quality works of art. George R.R. Martin should feel personally violated that this hunk of excrement uses the same title as his books. Oh wait, he contributed to this? This does not look positive for him ever finishing the series...

Overall the game sucked incredibly - I sure wish steam gave refunds!
  23. Nov 6, 2011
    The major point for me is it is just so boring i can see positives in the game it is just really underdeveloped. Bad graphics and bad gameplay and what totally destorys it is the terrible animations.
  24. Dec 15, 2011
    This game... is just disgusting. the game play is the more dull and static thing i have ever seen. not only does it put you to sleep, but if you actually want to win its VERY tedious and annoying. its just an obnoxious game of who can spam the most diplomats and spies and rush them into surrounding territories. the graphics look like theyre from 2002, and to be honest, i woldnt even take this game if it was FREE, its not even worth the time or memory on my hard drive. Expand
  25. Dec 23, 2011
    1 out of 3 The story to this game is attrocious given what they had to work with it genuinly felt like your basic 1990's strategy story
    1 out of 3 gameplay is slow and basic at best just build the army send them down to siege the enemy and watch thats it very little in terms of real strategy in this game
    1 out of 3 for graphics yes it has them so it gets 1 point are they good or even
    decent god lord no
    0 out of 1 replay value , Me personaly I regret buying it a Game of Thrones RTS you would think could be done so well in fact you wander how they managed to mess this up as badly as they did, it fails to deliver the atmosphere of the seven realms or the houses you will honestly find yourself at times just zoneing out while playing it it requires very little real strategy to play graphics do not make up for it neither does the single player story it MIGHT be interesting in multiplayer depending on who your playing against but even then given its severe lack of variety with units and strategy elements I doubt it
  26. Apr 11, 2012
    The controls are horrific, unresponsive, or just plain broken. You simply do not have the information you need visible when you need it. Things happen with your units, and you're never notified. It's extremely frustrating when critical unit dies, and it isn't until late in the game when you happen to notice its not where you left it, and you have no idea what happened to it.

The combat is
    ridiculous. For such a slow-paced game, I feel that the combat is virtually uncontrollable and even large engagements are over far too quickly. No formations, no tactics, not even the ability to actually see what's going on during a fight. Mass up a bunch of army guys and throw them at an enemy target. Hope you win. Where is the fun in that? It takes so long to get to this point that it's even more disappointing that the end-game basically turns into a roll of the dice / mash fest.

Lastly, the bugs. Oh...the bugs. Units getting permanently stuck and refusing to move. Enemy armies walking right through each other without attacking. I love it when the entire land map flashes black--really immersive. And what is up with the levels reloading from the beginning after you beat them?

Also beware - Cyanide astroturf posters - paid posters - are on Steam on Metacritic trying to game the score and convince more suckers to buy. Don't be fooled by these scum - this game is rubbish shovelware.
  27. May 4, 2012
    Really, really, painfully bad. A tragic abuse of the GoT IP, although this abomination would be unforgivable under any name. Terrible, late-90s graphics? Check. Lack of any sort of compelling storytelling (including no cinematics)? Check. Horrible, boring "gameplay" mechanics? Check. Avoid this at all costs.
  28. Feb 29, 2012
    This game was created by a troll to steal our money, bigger **** i ever seen. I tried this game by 3 hours,, everyday i cry until fall sleep thinking at the poor people that buy this ****
  29. Mar 13, 2013
    Game of Thrones: Genesis somehow manages to make rock-paper-scissors mechanics overly complicated. You've got spies, which can see guardsmen, and guardsmen protect against envoys, who ally with towns, unless the town has a secret agreement with your enemy, because then it's only a FAKE agreement, and you'll never know unless you send your own spy in, so you'd better clear out the guards with assassins, except make sure the assassin isn't a double assassin because he'll only fake assassinate people and then a princess comes in and makes out with your envoy who... yeah. If that gives you the impression that it's got deep strategy, I apologize, it's really not. Repetitive and needlessly confusing is a better description. It's got a terrible UI and hard to read font that make learning everything extremely difficult. There is some lore there which is interesting enough, but if you're looking for lore, just read the books a fifth time. The game isn't worth it. Expand
  30. Jul 19, 2012
    Dont buy this game.. just dont. Its a waste of money. gj cyanide.. The game doesnt really look like Westeros.. if you want a real strategy game based on song of ice and fire, play Westeros: Total War mod of M2:TW-Kingdoms. The alpha version is out and they are bringing something new to the previews every weekend!
  31. Sep 29, 2011

Sound 0/10
    Gameplay 1/10

Final score: 1/10

1. Dec 4, 2011
    Revisit the Stupid Ned Stark meme instead. It's much more entertaining. [Christmas 2011, p.68]
  2. Nov 29, 2011
    Genesis doesn't work for the people who had no idea about 'A Song of Ice and Fire' before the HBO TV series came out. But if you consider yourself a master strategist and miss Good Old Times – buy it. [December 2011, p.94]
  3. Nov 28, 2011
    With a long campaign, A Game of Thrones: Genesis will captivate fans of the original series in particular. It's not a particularly good-looking game even by strategy standards, though.