4.1

1. Nov 2, 2011
    Not a bad game once you get into it, but it did take a while to get past the learning curve. I think some RTS gamers might enjoy GoT:G approach to RTS genre quite a bit - but this is definitely not for everybody. It`s great to see someone is trying to do something different - and not just another Total War clone - however - they should have spent more time developing their ideas andNot a bad game once you get into it, but it did take a while to get past the learning curve. I think some RTS gamers might enjoy GoT:G approach to RTS genre quite a bit - but this is definitely not for everybody. It`s great to see someone is trying to do something different - and not just another Total War clone - however - they should have spent more time developing their ideas and gameplay.
    Visually the game is really nothing special - and it`s really hard to figure out what units are where on the map.
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    Well, I bought this game yesterday evening via Steam and expected a totally new approach to RTS games. Yes, this was, what i got and because i found not that much of tests or reviews, i write a comment:

Basics - Graphics: 4/10 (for a game released in 2011, it`s not much more than a joke, but it has, what it needs) - UI/Controls: 7/10 (intuitive and not much to explore - easy to learn and

Basics
    - UI/Controls: 7/10 (intuitive and not much to explore - easy to learn and master the controls of the game
    - Sound: 3/10 (nothing worthy to mention)
    - Loading time and Load screens: 2/10 (it really takes a while to get in he game finally - in the game though, nothing to load again)
    - Bugs: 9/10 (didn`t find any bugs but some clipping ..nothing to mention)

Game
    - Idea: 9/10 (I really think, the dev. did a good job, trying to be unique. It works for me and i like this kind of STRATEGY game)
    - Starting/noobfriendlyness: 5/10 (it`s very complex if u go further in the game, because all new inventions and diplomatic depth can be used to u`r disadvantage by u`r opponents. It seems to take some time to find a good way to win a game
    - tutorial: 2/10 (a joke, nothing with love :))

in general:
    - a game, which fits in every strategy collection and needs some time to learn. Well done idea and concept with "uurrrgghhss" graphics.

Recommended?
    - yes, IF u have some patience
  3. Oct 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Graphics dont make the game, although, better animations would definately help. I should also point out that I have never read the books, nor have I watched the series, so I have zero predetermined biased opinions of what I would expect from the game, and unlike most other strategy games Ive played, I actually found the story in this one to be rather interesting. There is little I can say that is bad about this game, you can see that tonnes and tonnes of thought went into the mechanics and to accommodate different playstyles, but with all this aside, there is something there I just cannot put my finger on. Balance is perfect between the different units, with most units having multiple functions. Here is where it lost another point for me though. There is just toooo much going on sometimes.. you need lots of units to be efficient, but then you end up having to directly control nearly all of those units individually to get what you want done, there was sooo many times that many of my guys would just be forgotten because I was too busy preparing a bribe on a wandering envoy while trying to assasinate a noble lady so I could influence village with my spy and to be efficient, you need to be doing this in 6 different areas all the while making sure no-one is using underhand tactics on yourself! A more automated option would be nice for some units (Rogues bribing nearby wandering envoys for example) akin to the assassins ambush would help to improve the illusion of life within the game. After a while I got bored because really I was only using one or two units to play trying to be sneaky with them when I *know* I could have been doing so much more.

The other thing I found is once war has begun, it cannot end, a nice ebb and flow to the game would have been for the war "timer" to increase with the hostilities, and then have some way for it to decrease over time again taking you back to a peaceful era. I felt that you invested so much time and effort into the peace time units only to have them rendered absolutely useless in war left me disapointed and also left me thinking "why didnt I just use all my resources on military and just kill stuff from the get go?" The answer to that question by the way is because the peace time gameplay IS a lot of fun and very sneaky.. just that war can be initiated at ANY time, which makes peope who prefer to play that way losing out big time.

With all this being said about Graphics etc etc bad etc etc.. no.. no they are not the best.. but the mechanics, and the gameplay, in the right hands, have the potential to open up a whole new genre of strategy games.. oh yeah.. and with a few animation tweaks, it would have been fine..

So in the end, One point gone for bad animations, another gone for somehow making me bored by giving me toooo many things to do, and another point gone for repetitive sound effects.. theres only so many times you can listen to your Assassin say "Im sorry" before you feel like slapping him in chains for sympathising with the enemy!
  4. Oct 27, 2011
    Not been a strategy game player but loving the world, the game fail s to deliver full perspective on the world and the campaigns fail to drag you into the world and immerse you in the lore and history of one of the greatest places ever written about. The true depth of this game will be found in multiplayer and if a strong base is found here the game will deliver its moneys worth. If likeNot been a strategy game player but loving the world, the game fail s to deliver full perspective on the world and the campaigns fail to drag you into the world and immerse you in the lore and history of one of the greatest places ever written about. The true depth of this game will be found in multiplayer and if a strong base is found here the game will deliver its moneys worth. If like me you are not much of a multiplayer strategy gamer, it is a diversion that really is worth about $20 not the $40 its been charged at currently, If you like multiplayer RTS games then this could be the game for you as it is unlike most strategy games out there as going to war is the wrong way to win the game..... Expand
  5. Nov 10, 2011
    What a waste of the license. Some nice ideas, but the game gets after a few hours of average entertainment very boring. If youre in hope for a dramatic story like in the TV series - forget it...

1. PC PowerPlay
    Dec 4, 2011
    Revisit the Stupid Ned Stark meme instead. It's much more entertaining. [Christmas 2011, p.68]
  2. CD-Action
    Nov 29, 2011
    Genesis doesn't work for the people who had no idea about 'A Song of Ice and Fire' before the HBO TV series came out. But if you consider yourself a master strategist and miss Good Old Times – buy it. [December 2011, p.94]
  3. Nov 28, 2011
    With a long campaign, A Game of Thrones: Genesis will captivate fans of the original series in particular. It's not a particularly good-looking game even by strategy standards, though.