A New Beginning - Final Cut PC

6.6

1. Dec 19, 2012
    I was drawn in my the promise of a mature story, but there handling of the premise was anything but. The eco-message in this game was so thick that it ironically polluted the whole game for me.Combined with the terrible and voice acting in this game and many of the characters were just unlikable. If you feel you can handle the "smog" the you might be able to enjoy this game, but I wouldI was drawn in my the promise of a mature story, but there handling of the premise was anything but. The eco-message in this game was so thick that it ironically polluted the whole game for me.Combined with the terrible and voice acting in this game and many of the characters were just unlikable. If you feel you can handle the "smog" the you might be able to enjoy this game, but I would not recommend this game. Expand
  2. Jul 8, 2013
    Huge potential reduced by a below average implemention is the best way to describe this game. This point and click adventure has an interesting story, and the visual aesthetic of delivering it is well executed. The puzzles are pretty entertaining and of casual difficulty most of the time, with a few exceptions of totally illogical sequences. Where this game fails itself is the sound. TheHuge potential reduced by a below average implemention is the best way to describe this game. This point and click adventure has an interesting story, and the visual aesthetic of delivering it is well executed. The puzzles are pretty entertaining and of casual difficulty most of the time, with a few exceptions of totally illogical sequences. Where this game fails itself is the sound. The voice acting is the worst I've encountred in a really long time- all characters have colourless, almost robotic voices that instantly kill any latent character development. The rest of the audio is also very weak- no memorable musical theme, zero ambience, no effort to create any atmosphere whatsoever. Last but not least, there's an annoying amount of bugs to be found, from delayed sounds to repeating cutscenes and events.
    All in all, A New Beginning is a game that an adventure fan will surely enjoy, at least with a bit of patience. It does however do surprisingly well at overemphasizing its' own weak points than promoting the good ones, thus failing to be noticeable near the genre's good games that tend to get ever rarer nowadays.
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    It's a great adventure game, when it comes down to it. I had to reference a walkthrough 3 or 4 times for puzzles that I either didn't feel like spending hours on, or for puzzles that were simply non-intuitive via the interface (like, actions or events that after I had read the answer made me think "gee, I thought of that 30 minutes ago, and it didn't work the way I tried to implementIt's a great adventure game, when it comes down to it. I had to reference a walkthrough 3 or 4 times for puzzles that I either didn't feel like spending hours on, or for puzzles that were simply non-intuitive via the interface (like, actions or events that after I had read the answer made me think "gee, I thought of that 30 minutes ago, and it didn't work the way I tried to implement it...").

The voice acting is mediocre, but I could care less about that. If this game had no voice acting, and consisted of text subtitles only, you would find that the dialogue and conversations are great anyway, and provoke the same human emotions and reactions from you, the player, nonetheless. So, I can't rightfully take any strikes against this game for the voice acting--it's just so superficial.

Bottom line, great story, great comic-art graphics, nice music, and absolutely worth playing!

1. Jan 6, 2013
    If you are truly desperate for good puzzles and sumptuous art, then you could do worse than play A New Beginning, but I found it impossible to look past the many issues and really enjoy the few things it manages to do right.
  2. Dec 17, 2012
    It's a back and forth battle, as it's an enjoyable experience, but one that falls short of the adventure game and technological standards many have come to expect. If there was only a little bit more polish, A New Beginning – Final Cut could have been a unforgettable adventure.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    I am glad to finally see an adventure game that uses its narrative potential to address some important ecological themes and ideas. Even though the conclusion of the sci-fi story seems a little unrewarding, I always had a good time playing the game. Puzzles are generally solid, the hand painted graphics are beautiful and most of the (German) voice acting is well done. A New Beginning may not be perfect, but it's mature, surprising and quite simply fun to play.