6.3

1. Jan 17, 2014
    It's hard to recommend this daft eco story that includes time travel and terrible dialogue. Clearly the makers think people 500 years into the future are whiney or rude, more often both. There are some plusses, the music is nice, the graphics are clean, and fans of comics will like the feel to it. The reason to play is to get to the end of the story. I'd recommend playing whilst watching TV beside you, so you can work through the story but without paying too much attention to much of the dialogue and character interactions. For diehard point-and-click fans only. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    At the beginning I was very sceptic to that game. I thought it would be just another mumbo jumbo about the ecology. But when I started the game it completely drew me in. The story was amazing and led me to the masterful ending.
    Story and ending aren't the only great thing in that game. It also has very climatic music, beautiful drawn locations and difficult riddles.
    I can't not mention
    about awesome characters with their unique and complex personalities and stories. I really liked Fay and Bent. Expand
  3. Dec 28, 2013
    It's a great adventure game, when it comes down to it. I had to reference a walkthrough 3 or 4 times for puzzles that I either didn't feel like spending hours on, or for puzzles that were simply non-intuitive via the interface (like, actions or events that after I had read the answer made me think "gee, I thought of that 30 minutes ago, and it didn't work the way I tried to implement it...").

The voice acting is mediocre, but I could care less about that. If this game had no voice acting, and consisted of text subtitles only, you would find that the dialogue and conversations are great anyway, and provoke the same human emotions and reactions from you, the player, nonetheless. So, I can't rightfully take any strikes against this game for the voice acting--it's just so superficial.

Bottom line, great story, great comic-art graphics, nice music, and absolutely worth playing!
  4. Ume
    Nov 21, 2013
    Beautiful hand painted art, good soundtrack and ambiance, and many puzzles (logical for most, a few really hard ones) to enjoy. Daedalic tries to send a socially conscious message while providing good entertainment, and for the most part it is well implemented. The more negative aspect is the technical problems, although still not enough to completely detract players from trying this solid adventure. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An adventure game! Immersive, memorable stories for those with the patience for good storytelling. Unfortunately, A New Beginning Final Cut failed to live up to my expectations. With dull characters and a poor story line, I had to drag myself along and convince myself the game would be over soon. It's a shame, there was the potential for so much more.

I will first cover some points that I liked about the game. I enjoyed the soundtrack. From time to time an impressive score drives the mood. I found myself just listening. Another thing I appreciate is the honest portrayal of the main character. The male protagonist shows us a life that is boring, but honest. I found it interesting to see a retiree who could barely find the motivation to do his own dishes come to life as he is reunited with his work. Perhaps I would have appreciated the story more if it merely revolved around a washed up, retired, old man finding his way back into a meaningful life. But, yeah.. that's not what A New Beginning stands for.

I will try to keep the bad points short, but there are some issues I'd like out there.

Let's begin with gameplay. It is linear. To be expected with adventure titles you could say. However, conversation options mean nothing because you (1) cannot fail and (2) cannot advance until you make the choice laid out for you. Sometimes you can't proceed until you pick that one infuriatingly dumb option. This illusion of freedom kills flow and immersion, but it is not the only thing to do so in this game.

The story is what drives an adventure title. Titles like Broken Sword and The Longest Journey have burned their mark in my brain with epic, awesome memorable stories. They are great. The story of A New Beginning Final Cut had me face palm in as soon as the first few minutes of playing. Time travel.. I'm not going explain why it's a bad idea to revolve a budget title story around time travel. Just know that I quickly braced myself for a bad story line because of it. Next: quick disposal of non-essential characters. Basically, the characters that don't die soon after their first few lines will make it through everything and face the end. It kind of reminds me of Mike Newell's take on The Sands of Time, in which all characters die the second they are no longer pivotal to the story. It's poor writing. And characters are disposed like this as quickly as the beginning of chapter one. As the story advances it becomes a race against the clock and a fight against all odds. Yes, we are still talking about a retired scientist. Too depressed to do his dishes moments earlier, now diffusing bombs on an isolated research facility. The good-vs-evil and we-are-the-only-ones-that-can-safe-the-world-but-!-can-your-friends-really-be-trusted ending to this tale left me with a smile to know that it would soon be over and I wouldn't have to play this game anymore.. It could have been so much more..

Characters. I really liked Barney, good voice actor, awesome personality. The interactions with Barney were awesome. The strong synergy between him and the main character really should have received more attention. Unfortunately, he is rather irrelevant to the story and makes only a short appearance. Apart from Barney, characters are not memorable, mostly because they are generic, predictable and horribly stupid. I don't know how a lead scientist can keep up acting like an egotistical teenager throughout the whole story, but apparently he can. Or how a freelance journalist with a private helicopter accepts a time travel story without argument..

Voice acting is a mixed bag, there are some painful, cringe-worthy moments here and there. Performances for the main characters are mediocre at best. And then there are some surprisingly good talents for some of the NPCs. I expected more but for an adventure title I don't find it as important as characters or story line.

I'm also somewhat neutral about the detective/puzzling elements. Progress felt relatively easy. Most uses of your items are straight forward. I did find myself stuck at times, but then I simply missed an item hidden in the details of the environment. Taking a small break and later revisiting the area always helped. The puzzle mini-games can be skipped although I never needed to.

To me, this game missed it's chance to be memorable. If its writing were better, characters more intelligent and the voice acting more immersive it would have become so much more. As it is, I would advice gamers to stay away from this title. If you like eco-thrillers, get it on discount.
  6. Jul 8, 2013
    Huge potential reduced by a below average implemention is the best way to describe this game. This point and click adventure has an interesting story, and the visual aesthetic of delivering it is well executed. The puzzles are pretty entertaining and of casual difficulty most of the time, with a few exceptions of totally illogical sequences. Where this game fails itself is the sound. The voice acting is the worst I've encountred in a really long time- all characters have colourless, almost robotic voices that instantly kill any latent character development. The rest of the audio is also very weak- no memorable musical theme, zero ambience, no effort to create any atmosphere whatsoever. Last but not least, there's an annoying amount of bugs to be found, from delayed sounds to repeating cutscenes and events.
    All in all, A New Beginning is a game that an adventure fan will surely enjoy, at least with a bit of patience. It does however do surprisingly well at overemphasizing its' own weak points than promoting the good ones, thus failing to be noticeable near the genre's good games that tend to get ever rarer nowadays.
  7. May 17, 2013
    The story in this game starts decent but the English version has voice acting that's far from great (Actors take weird stops between words and often speak without feeling).

However this game has some major bugs some are so big that you often can't continue the storyline. If this game didn't have those bugs it might be a decent game, maybe a 7. But when you can't complete the game then
    it's just a waste of money. So I give it a 3. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2013
    A New Beginning is an adventure game that is an incoherent mess thanks to abysmal translations and voice acting.

One of the most important points of an adventure game, besides the puzzles, is the dialogue. So if the dialogue is difficult to follow, illogical, or plainly incomprehensible, no matter how well put together the puzzles and how interesting the art style, the game will not be
    enjoyable. This is what A New Beginning suffers from, an incomprehensible dialogue that tries to tell what could have been an interesting story, while providing contradictory insight into how to solve puzzles (telling you to do one thing but you actually having to do the complete opposite), and developing unlikable characters, leaving you to wonder how such a game won the German game of the year award in 2011 (...lost in translation?). Collapse
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    I really really really wanted to enjoy this game. I really did. Unfortunately, upon starting the game and playing through the very first puzzle, the chump that designed it decided it would be hilarious if they hid one of the items that you needed to solve the puzzle inside of the most illogical and horrifically stupid places possible. The methodology in which the first puzzle was completed was pretty much the way that a human being would have solved it after drinking a gallon of bleach while boiling their head in a vat of prune juice. First puzzle aside, the second puzzle was more enjoyable and the storyline progressed interestingly. However, it was at this point that my sound suddenly stopped working. I checked to see if I had accidentally hit my mute button, I triple checked the in-game sound volume, and I restarted my game about six times to try to get it to work. Alas, the sound did not return and the game decided to add further insult to injury by somehow eradicating my autosave and all of the progress that I had made so far. So yeah. I really wanted to play this game. Unfortunately, I could not play it in the end and I would rather watch someone else play it on YouTube so I don't have to experience the frustration of not only solving irrational and illogical puzzles but solving technical issues as well. Expand
  10. Dec 21, 2012
    1. The problem with this game is that many if not most of the characters are either unlikeable, annoying or irritating, and there is no way to skip when they''re on conversation. This problem also have to do with those characters personality; they can be rude at one time but suddenly out of blue they can be somewhat friendly and vice versa. There is lack of consistency in character personalities. 2. For a game with 500-year to the future setting there are not many things from the future that are impressing enough making the game feels bland. 500 years from now human will surely have permanent settlements at least within the solar system; why should they stick to earth !?

3. I would love to see those unlikeable characters got unlucky or getting bugged by other annoying characters in the future releases - it will surely gives me satisfaction
  11. Dec 19, 2012
    I was drawn in my the promise of a mature story, but there handling of the premise was anything but. The eco-message in this game was so thick that it ironically polluted the whole game for me.Combined with the terrible and voice acting in this game and many of the characters were just unlikable. If you feel you can handle the "smog" the you might be able to enjoy this game, but I would not recommend this game. Expand
  12. Dec 15, 2012
    I'm not usually a big fan of adventure games (except maybe for the original Indiana Jones...). However the maturity of the storyline got me to buy it. I do enjoy the cartoony cut scenes delivery as well.

In terms of the story I was really impressed. It's twists and turns and you never really know where it's going. It's got this nice flash-back story thing going as well so you don't get
    bored in the same place/time too long.

There are a few quirks on the way the cut scenes are delivered. Sometimes you get audio spats in between scenes (probably loading / unloading sounds?) and some minor other bugs. Sometimes the characters have a bit of moon-walking action going on, in the close up scenes. Also some lip syncing is completely off in some cut scenes but that could be my computer... And I'm being picky. It doesn't take you out of the action which is the main thing... The puzzles between scenes can be a big gimmicky at times but I think that's just the nature of any adventure games. I did enjoy the skip button availability for complex puzzles. You get to the point where "ok I see where this is going but I've had enough of this" and you can skip. Cool stuff. I really dig the story, so it always gave me the incentive to see what's next and push through puzzles.

Overall very happy with this title and I'm not finished with it yet. So thumbs up.
  13. Apr 13, 2013

1. Jan 6, 2013
    If you are truly desperate for good puzzles and sumptuous art, then you could do worse than play A New Beginning, but I found it impossible to look past the many issues and really enjoy the few things it manages to do right.
    It's a back and forth battle, as it's an enjoyable experience, but one that falls short of the adventure game and technological standards many have come to expect. If there was only a little bit more polish, A New Beginning – Final Cut could have been a unforgettable adventure.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    I am glad to finally see an adventure game that uses its narrative potential to address some important ecological themes and ideas. Even though the conclusion of the sci-fi story seems a little unrewarding, I always had a good time playing the game. Puzzles are generally solid, the hand painted graphics are beautiful and most of the (German) voice acting is well done. A New Beginning may not be perfect, but it's mature, surprising and quite simply fun to play.