6.6

1. Aug 13, 2012
    Tom is the perfect blend of action and puzzler, creating a game that remains varied and exciting throughout it's play.

Each 'world' introduces a new component that can drastically change the type of challenge presented by the level - from basic puzzler to a race against the clock and enemy drones - whilst keeping the core concept intact. This helps the game stay fresh and exciting and
    there's always an area of play that one can improve upon.

Replaying to achieve gold medals in each level is also satisfying, and the co-op campaign creates some very exciting teamplay. While online play is still in the works, it's refreshing for a game to offer split screen again. Devs have also talked about implementing a level editor which will drastically enhance the game's replay value. As it stands now, for it's current price it's a steal.

One of my top games of the year. Try the demo.
  2. Aug 17, 2012
    I thought this game looked boring. Then I played it and it is so much fun! My wife & I can't stop playing the co-op. We've battled our way through every puzzle, but we re-play the levels for fun or for a better score. We can't help it! The puzzles are really well designed in both co-op and solo play. (54 levels of unique puzzles per mode.) There's always a new mechanic lurking around the corner. The further I progressed, the better it got. The cut-scenes are pretty humorous too. A really solid game. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2013
    A simple puzzle game bloated with painful controls and an arbitrary story line. Adding "action" to a puzzle game so often just makes it frustrating, and that's certainly the case with A Virus Named TOM.

It's just the old "Pipes" game annoying.
  4. Sep 14, 2012
    Tom is the amazing mix of puzzle and frantic action. Every new infection requires a different way of thinking about it. Truly one of the "Not-to-miss" Indie games available. Love how 90% of Indie games are light-years better than the big budget Dev-Houses.
  5. Sep 19, 2013
    Amazing music, nice theme but the game isn't anything new really. It's the classic pipes game with a few twists. After a while I got annoyed and dropped it. But this music. Wow... And the polishing....
  6. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is "Pipes" with a lot of time pressure and enemy dodging. Nothing more, nothing less. Injecting story and polish into the sort of game one might be tasked to put together as computer science midterm project is not enough to redeem the unoriginal concept and frustrating control scheme.
  7. Aug 16, 2012
    This game has a great collection of puzzles that are simple to understand, but hard to solve. It has a fast-paced nature that I have yet to see in many puzzle games, which was a pleasant surprise. Overall, if you're into classic arcade games and modern puzzlers, you'll enjoy it. Think SpaceChem on crack.
  8. Aug 16, 2012
    A nice, fast paced game that keeps you thinking the entire time. I like the way each level changes to create a different challenge. All in all, I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good puzzle!
  9. Aug 17, 2012
    If you are looking for a local co-op game for the PC, this is the game. The Co-Op mode is well made with great puzzles, art, and all, and is a must-play for any puzzle-loving group of friends. However, even if you don't enjoy puzzle games that much (or even if you do enjoy them), I can tell you that the price of the game is worth it just for the versus mode. It does require some strategy, but you are competing directly with your friends, and it is just amazingly fun. Try out the customization options if you do play the versus mode, as you can often make hilarious scenarios. Lastly, I bought it mainly to play with my friends, but it is also a great single player game. The co-op and single player levels are both at the same level of quality (which ranges from good to amazing). The story (which is portrayed to great animations and a few messages) is well-written. If you like puzzle games, you'll want to pick this up.

In conclusion, it is a must buy if you have a puzzle-loving group of friends, or if you just love puzzle games by yourself. The versus mode is still amazing even if no one likes puzzles, although I would not recommend the single player version of the game to anyone who does not like puzzle games.
  10. Sep 14, 2012
    A Virus Named TOM is a unique and thoroughly enjoyable action puzzler. The pipe-twisting gameplay combines with the positional play and enemy avoidance to create a unique puzzle experience. Some levels are harrowing trials to stay alive, while other allow for more relaxed examination of the optimal tile positions. Different play elements keep the game fresh over a large number of levels. Finally, the excellent puzzling experience is wrapped in a wonderful retro-futuristic presentation. Overall, a very worthwhile experience for anyone with an aversion to puzzle games. Expand
  11. Sep 22, 2013
    This game is bad, really bad. The controls are a pain, the gameplay is boring, there is no fun no real puzzle, it's pasted on with cheap angry inducing mechanics. There are much better puzzle games out there, much better timing games out there. This game is nothing new, nothing fresh, and nothing fun. Avoid.
  12. AWG
    Sep 29, 2013
    The worse thing is not that the game is bad and boring but that developers are sure this is a wonderful and funny game.
  13. Nov 12, 2012
    Very exciting indie game with a funny story. I can safely put the game 10 points, despite the fact that it sometimes looks boring. Playing in the top ten indie games that I've seen, the exact location can not define. I advise everyone to get this great indie game, play a cold winter evening at your leisure ...
  14. Sep 22, 2012
    A Virus Named TOM is a puzzle game, where you play as a virus trying to bring down a Jetsons-style "City of Tomorrow". You do this by connecting all of the lines to the source of the infection.

The game is very well made in almost every aspect. The puzzles are challenging, and require a combination of skillful maneuvering and careful planning. The game continues introducing a bunch of
    new elements as you play, taking time to introduce each, and it demonstrated the game's depth and its finesse in how it introduces each. The style of the game is really neat. I adored the game's art, and I laughed a few times at the humorous story.

This game has local multiplayer, both cooperative and competitive, which is something you don't see that often anymore. On top of that, it's pretty fun.

I hadn't heard much about this game before getting it, which is sad, because more people need to hear about A Virus Named TOM. This game is excellent, and it deserves a place among the best indie games.
  15. Sep 17, 2012
    The game is about a scientist vowing revenge on the company that took advantage of his genius and then kicked him to the curb. You take on the role of a computer virus that goes around messing with the circuitry of the scientists former creations. The game can easily be played single player, but the developers have included 4 player co-op and 4 player versus modes. The single drawback of the game is that it doesn't currently support online multiplayer. This is something that the developer is looking to add through a kickstarter campaign if he's able to rally enough support. I was going to mark the game down a point for the missing online component, but I realized that it might actually be a good thing at times. I have other games lacking that functionality and all it ended up doing was bringing friends over for a fun night of gaming. I have to say the game is refreshing because it is tons of fun and challenging at the same time. Many games today are only one of the two. Developers try to make a game challenging and instead make it frustrating. Other times they try to make something fun, and it turns out to be too easy. You can tell the devs took the time to balance this. The learning curve is just at the right point. Does the game get hard? Yes. Does the game get frustrating? Once or twice. Does it ever get too hard? Not in my opinion. The game had one moment of getting on my nerves, but I took a step back, thought about the puzzle, and then managed to figure it out. Someone else may have simply stopped playing, but again the devs were all over this problem. The game rewards you with the ability to skip stages after you successfully complete a level. Thus, after level 1 (which is practically a tutorial) you are given 2 skips. You can use these on any stage in any of the following levels. After beating level 2 you are then awarded with an additional 2 skips. I really thought this was a cool idea, but I was worried about using my skips and then running out at a REALLY hard part. Well, I found on level 3 I had to use a skip. After beating the rest of the level, I went back to beat my skipped stage. Upon beating that dastardly stage, I was given my skip back. I was shocked. I was stunned. But, most of all, I was impressed with the devs thinking ahead of a problem that could have come up. The game may also seem a bit short at first glance, but looks can be deceiving. The game difficulty ramps up in the later stages which will slow your progression through the game, but not really put a damper on the fun and excitement. If you like puzzle-solvers, I'd definitely suggest this game. I do believe the game is currently selling for $10. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Also, if you're into co-op (which is huge for me) this game has the makings of a really awesome co-op extravaganza. Don't take my word for it though. You can go to their site and view the videos for yourself. Then you can head over to steam and grab a copy. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2012
    Stepping straight out of Epcot Center at Disney World, the World of Tomorrow is replete with everything an advanced human society could want: Teleportation, loving robotic dogs that don't poop, and moving walkways allowing people to save precious calories by avoiding walking. It's a paradise until the creator of all these marvels, having grown increasingly mad, is unseated from his position as inventor in this technological paradise. Seeking the utmost retribution, he creates A Virus Named Tom with the sole intent of wreaking havoc against those who would have stifled his creativity. Thus begins a journey through the computer systems of the World of Tomorrow with the intent of unhinging it all with grim prejudice.

Presenting what could have been just another puzzle game, A Virus Named Tom quickly serves up a slightly different brand of challenges, keeping itself apart from it's contemporaries unexpected ease. Setting players loose in a computer system as Tom, a vicious little virus bent on infecting everything, the obstacles quickly become apparent. Players will need to be both quick of wit and steady with their hands if they want to move onto the next levels with any form of expediency.

Selecting single-player delivers an experience typical of most puzzle-style games. The player will begin with relatively simple mechanics and, as progression is achieved over time in the form of accomplishing levels, the difficulty curve will slowly become greater as additional tasks get layered on. Typically, this comes in the form of adjusting paths so as to allow Tom to infect with maximum efficiency in a way that is exceptionally close to Pipe Dream. Added to the mix however are anti-virus that will constantly stand in the way of accomplishing this task.

As time goes on however, things only get harder. Namely, that the anti-virus will become significantly more tenacious and the circuitry will become invisible unless connected to a source of infection. While this can get frustrating for players looking for an easy experiencing, causing them to walk away, there is a quality about AVNT that will keep most gamers coming back for more. Nevertheless, the description of the increasing difficulty stating, "evolving mechanics which ratchet up the difficulty from lollipop to soul crushing," proves an apropos omen. You will fight the urge to toss the controller repeatedly.

But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. While the challenge is intrinsically inherent to what A Virus Named Tom is at it's core, there are outs to prevent gamers from completely losing their minds. Primarily, this takes the form of the ability for players to skip levels, pending they have earned the tokens to do so. Essentially, should a player be foiled enough by a given scenario, they are able to move past that level a la 'Splosion Man sans the pink tutu for doing so. Granted, there are those who may find this to be a cop-out, given the gratuitous difficulty in certain sections of the game, this can prove to be a necessity for some.

Oddly enough, wrestling with how to describe A Virus Named Tom has plagued me, not just throughout the time drafting a preview, but since playing it for the first time. It seems to take cues from classic puzzle titles while forging ahead with distinctive qualities that set it on a path all it's own. Graphically, Tom and the levels each look distinctive and beautiful, leaving the player to happily focus on the tasks at hand. Controls are tight and require some snap movements at times, but will otherwise use those who prefer a keyboard in the dust. Otherwise, for all intents and purposes, AVNT stands to form it's own cult following complete with those who continue to hope for more puzzles once they infect their way through the first 50.
  17. Oct 19, 2013
    Extremely fun puzzle game. In basic it's much like the old and simple 'plumber' games. But it's the additions that make the game difficult and fun. Also worth to mention is that 'The Jetsons' look & feel of the whole game. Only MINUS I found so far is that the high scores are set pretty high and extremely hard to beat (I didn't beat any so far)
  18. Jan 22, 2014
    Most players will play this game for 60 minutes, have fun, then move on and never play it again, because by then you will have experienced all it has to offer. The overdone "pipes" puzzle gameplay is a classic but also extremely shallow. Fortunately, it's well polished with some care put into it.
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    I like to poke my friends and go messing around. 4 players on every level? No way! Not only on keyboard also knows how to handle controllers. And its not so CPU-demanding. Plus you can see where the virus is going and then what the machine does. Fun comedy.
  20. Jun 25, 2014
    A Virus named Tom is neither good nor bad game. At first you 'll find it interesting, solving those puzzles and trying to time your movements. After a while it gets boring, as the levels progress, there is no variety. The strengths of the game is the sense of humor and the funny story. It was the only reason I wanted to finish the game.
  21. Aug 7, 2013
    A very fun puzzle game that will have you rooting around in the ol- grey-matter and trying to put together how to solve each puzzles. Some easy, some almost impossible. I highly recommend this to any fan of puzzle games, plus there is a ton of comedy in the story too.

This interesting and funny arcade game mixes a couple of genres together and offers a fast-paced multiplayer option. [Oct 2012]
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    Like trying to solve a cryptic crossword whilst blind and being repeatedly stung by mosquitoes. [Oct 2012, p.82]
  3. Sep 19, 2012
    The extra frills don't add thrills to the tried Pipemania template. [Oct 2012, p.90]