6.0

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Worst Ace Combat game I have ever played. I will first start by saying the positive and that this game is pretty solid and bug free, runs well, even for a console port. However my gripe is with the god awful gameplay. This whole game is on rails. Not sure how you can manage to put a aircraft game on rails, but they do. First off the mission maps are small (The ones where you can actually fly around.) I am not expecting a flight Sim, this is Ace Combat, but basic flight characteristic should be present as in other Ace Combats. 2 speeds, Stall and afterburners. Oh you think you can fly and dog fighting using your own tactics like in other ace combats??? LOL No. Everything forces you to use this stupid (DFM) mode. Which is pretty much a roller coast auto pilot, where your airplane pulls UFO maneuvers as you try to try to shoot down the enemy... and your pretty much not even flying the plane. So you can fly through Hollywood explosions... Plus for some reason some targets dont even die and 8 direct hits unless you enter Rollercoaster on rails Mode. So stupid! Think you can fly a stealth aircraft and fly through radar undetected? lol... According to Ace Combat you need to fly at low altitude through a radar screen.... Why? I have a B-2 that can fly through it at high altitude. In fact, you would be more vulnerable to be detected from your engines being heard from that low... I dont mind Arcade aircraft games, but that DFM Rollercoaster-cant-kill-anything-without-using-it mode is by far the worst idea to be used in a aircraft game! Expand
  2. Aug 2, 2013
    Kombinacje pomysłów zawsze nie wychodzą na dobre. Namco miesza samoloty, helikoptery, AC 130 i zwykłe strzelanie, tak aby wyszła z tego papka, za przeproszeniem, gówna. Słaba grafika, niedopracowana, nudna, i trudna.Tak można opisać 3/4 gry, co więc jest w tej 1/4? Samolot. Sterowanie samolotem, uniki, to jest coś co chciałbym widzieć przez całą tą grę. Twórcy muszą jak zawsze jednak pokombinować i zrobić coś co wychodzi innym twórcom znacznie lepiej w innych samodzielnych grach. Muszę przyznać że to jedna z najnudniejszych gier w jakie grałem. Proszę Namco, następnym razem wpakujcie tylko elementy z samolotami. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2013
    It irks me that i have to write such an unfavorable review to one of my favorite childhood games. I really wanted to like it and i did at first. But then came the "additions". Dogfights, Helicopters, loud and extremely annoying, somewhat-story-related nagging of the game NPC. Why? I mean, i REALLY don't get it, why would someone want to take a fan favored franchise, a guaranteed home-run, and turn it into what looks like a "Call of Duty Nightmare", only to cater to a mass of brain-damaged Top Gun aficionados? Whoever made this thing, should really sit down and think about what they've done. It's a travesty. I'm utterly disappointed by this development. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    Great to see an old and dearly loved franchise on the PC, though they did ruin it by incorporating ridiculous control schemes, and quick-time events. Ace combat is a fighter simulator.... stop trying to be everything else. It isn't working. I gave up halfway; the helicopter controls are unplayable on a joystick.
  5. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not this harsh on most games but it is not even worth paying 5 bucks for this game in the current Steam Sale. It's a step backwards for the Ace Combat franchise in every possible way. The flight controls have been atrociously dumbed down and every plane has the same cartoonish feel. The combat system constantly forces you into annoying pre-scripted quick time sequences. The story boils down to cliche American bros fighting evil Russian terrorists who somehow have a super advanced air force. Oh and the graphics are horrible. It would be like Activison trying to make "Call of Duty with Planes" and farming out the development to the most incompetent studio they could find. Expand
  6. Feb 8, 2013
    Terrible game.

Probably one of the worst I have ever played. To start with the idea of DFM is terrible, it is just on rails lock them on and shoot. There is no skill to it.

The flight model is a joke, the jets bend the laws of physics to their will a stupid amount. Missiles target you out of nowhere. The final mission is one jet shooting missiles backwards into you. Jets take a
    stupid amount of missiles to takes down, and it must all be done in DFM mode.

The story is me it's awful. Here's the entire storyline "YOU THE MAN NOW" followed by some russian chirping in "hue hue hue vodka".

If you consider this an anywhere near reflection of real flying just please kill yourself now and do the rest of the human race a favour, the game is a joke. Honestly it's not even worth the time to play it, I wouldn't even bother pirating it.

If you're willing to put aside it's flaws and just have fun, I doubt you will have even that. Honestly I would prefer my time back as opposed to playing this game. It will frustrate you to incredible heights as missiles from not existant enemies shoot you down for not using DFM. I have seen enemy planes literally warp in behind me, and ground units not appearing on the map, even though there's a green target reticle.

Ignore the marketers and other members of the team giving it 10s and 9s. The game is a joke, paying money for it would be even more laughable
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    A total disgrace to the entire Ace Combat series. Especially the DRM mode. I have no idea why they decided to put on that stuff. Plus the cut scenes of chase are absolutely linear and boring. Exciting in the first time but on the second time you go through the same chase cut scenes, it definitely bores me off. Ace Combat has always been known to me as a casual arcade air combat game where missiles can be fired off a distance at any styles or stunt but this new DRM feature, it certainly throws them off. I just can't seem to think how after I've gone all through the loops and stunts to shoot an enemy in DRM mode, the plane simply levels off perfectly flat as if there were no sense of logic at all. Totally ridiculous. And by the way, the story line sucks. I prefer to stick to the former story line of Ace Combat featuring the fictional continents. I find AC5's story line to be much better than this one. There are fewer missions in this game than previous one & again, it stresses me out having to use DRM all the time. That's the feature that threw me off this game. I gave a point for the graphics though. No doubt it's much better but the rest 9 points are lost due to game mechanics and story line. Expand
  8. Jul 24, 2014
    We are PCers either great simulations or nothing. keep your Xbox, PlayStation arcade games where they belong, on consoles........Long live IL-2 type games, now that's a game
  9. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a horrible mess from the start, you will be messing around with the controls constantly, i have been playing the game for 7 hours now, and still i can't get the hang of it, and this is not even the worst of the game, enemy a.i will only attack you in the sky, they have unlimited flares while you only get like 4 or 5, and your friendly a.i is useless as well, during many missions you need to take out a transport plane or a missile, your teammates state every time they will keep the fighters off your back, NOT. You will be bombarded with missiles and bullets until you evade the enemy, meaning you will lose track of your target and it's game over.

And the worst thing about the game is, leaders of enemy squads cant be taken out in the old Ace Combat style, now you have to use a stupid dog fight mode. Another series ruined because people want more arcade hollywood action in their game.
  10. Mar 2, 2013
    This game is an experiment gone horribly wrong. I wonder what the developers were thinking, did they think we, loyal Ace Combat fans will like these new nonsensical additions? DFM especially, the scripted dog fights takes no skill at all. Adding DFM is bad enough, the game makes it worse by forcing you to use it, if you don't, you can't complete missions. Enemies that I could have taken down easily with missiles become immune to them, planes only susceptible to bullet damage, I say. Expand
  11. Aug 6, 2013
    this is just real garbage. I was excited about this game after watcihng some videos. But man, this is not a real plane game. It is ONRAIL SCRIPTED IMBA SUPER ARCADE CASUAL CRAP. What a deception. $7 wasted.
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the Ace Combat series. This installment was a step in the wrong direction. I am really disappointed by DFM. Seriously, what is the point? Dog fighting with machine guns like we are flying biplanes. Where is the fun in that? If I wanted to play a WW2 pilot game I would do that.
  13. Aug 10, 2014
    The worst Ace Combat by far. DFM mode is stupid, no skill involved in this game. It is a disgrace to all the other acecombats. This isn't call of duty FFS. No need for a NPC+hollywood **** story. I want my money back.
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    Having played all Ace Combat games for PSX and PS2 (but skipping PS3) on every difficulty, Ace Combat's migration to PC was too good to miss, right? Wish I hadn't bothered. The inclusion of other vehicles such as bombers and helicopters was a good idea, but poorly executed. Controls are clunky at best, imprecise and frustrating. Meanwhile air combat has taken giant leaps backwards, with semi quick-time events apparently passing as 'dogfights'. The old thrill of chasing and gunning down enemies has been cast aside. 50% of your enemies possess near infinite supplies of flares to render missiles useless, forcing you into 'DFM' quick-time events along pre-scripted flight paths, automatically flown while you aim an awkward reticule to gun and shoot your enemy. Refusal to conform to this 'DFM' mode is punished by almost every enemy in the sky locking on you with DFM themselves in what is only describable as 'exaggerated' flight maneuvers, in which all previous plane handling mechanics are now cast aside. Enemies miraculously remain locked 200m from your tail, no matter what, unless you conform once more to the rather awkward 'counter-maneuver' system, as missiles chase you in a similar fashion. I could go on but I think the impression comes across. Worth buying? For anyone who's ever enjoyed a true Ace Combat game - no. Not unless you want to see a good example of what NOT to include in an Ace Combat game. Expand
  15. Jul 3, 2014
    Ace Combat in name only.

Not set in the AC universe - instead you play as variety of American pilots and consequently character development suffers.

But worst of all 'Dogfight Mode' reduces A-A combat to a pathetic QTE.

Utterly awful.
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm flying a jet or i'm driving a boat after a mix of drugs? I won't finish the game, it makes me too disappointed, frustrated... I know the game is not a simulator, but there's a limit... Not funny at all, not like old Ace games, I won't write all problems, there are a lot of review about them! Simply don't buy this game...
    Ps. I'm talking to you Microsoft, to you and your "Games for
    Windows Live": Get the hell out of my games!!! Expand
  17. Oct 15, 2013
    I'd say very poor implemented console port.
    Graphics struck in 2008, controls....forgot about controls, plot is look's like composed out of mental clinic patients graphomany attempts. Require Windows Live.

I love Ace Combat series on PS3 and PSP, but that is insult for PC gamers.
  18. Oct 17, 2013
    Okay, this sham of a game is not worthy of an Ace combat title, it has pulled so far away from what it was to become a "modern" FFPS (Flight FPS). The gameplay is cringe-worthy, your actual skill means very little in a dogfight and as a result i lost interest very quickly. I played with controller and that worked as good as one can hope. But Pulling instant 180's and trying to maneuver a circle over an enemy will never be a flight simulator. I can't say as a game it is bad per se but if you were expecting a return and improvement of the games previous look elsewhere, this is a CoD fan-base grab and the lack of depth skill and story reflects that. Expand
  19. Jul 21, 2014
    I have been a long time fan of this series, but any true AC fan should avoid this game. The music is great as always. Graphics are good, but that isn't a qualifier of a good game. The main reasoning behind this awfulness is the implementation of a new combat system, DFM, or dog fight mode. Sounds cool right? Ace Combat has been around for a long time, they must know what they are doing! Wrong.

DFM takes control away from you. In the game, there are 'normal' enemies, and than there are 'leader', otherwise known as 'aces' in all the other games. The tough guys that took a bit more maneuvering and skill to take down in all the other games. In this game, the only way to defeat these guys is to enter DFM. Once you get close enough to them, you press a button, and your plane automatically starts tailing them. You have some control; your speed and limited movement. Just enough for you have to aim, but not enough to feel like you are flying. The only purpose for this is to make it look a bit flashier, but it wears off really quickly. Its poorly executed mechanics to excite children and CoD jocks. (which is probably the only reason there are some good reviews of this game)

The enemy also has the opportunity to initiate DFM with you as well. Once again, it misses the mark. It consists of speeding up, slowing down, and hitting a button.

The skill of this game has been replaced by cheap parlor tricks to make it look flashy. They dropped the focus on a great story, and put their efforts into changing the game so its not even recognizable a Ace Combat game. They changed the way the game is played after multiple titles, so its now just a shell of its former self that is riding on the coat tails of the franchise name. Its not the Ace Combat you grew to love. Its a cheap air combat simulator that stole the name of a great series.
  20. Jul 26, 2014
    not a good ace combat game this game was the end of good a good game that was alot of fun. the problem is this ace combat changes up the fighting and camra so much that it just ruined the game for me not to mention the story isnt the best it could be alot better seeing the past storyline. the combat in this game changed so much since ace combat 6. it changed into a more arcade type game were it just felt like point and shoot. in ace combat 6 the combat came down to skill,knowing your aircraft and would often have you replaying partss you messed up on or felt need work, it just felt like after completing the story you were fufilled with a sense of skill. the story in ace combat 6 speaks alot more were as in this ace combat its just action now story later. if you can buy ace combat 6 dont waste money on this even if its on sale its really not worth it Expand
  21. Jul 27, 2014
    I decided to play this game over the course of two days due to steam free weekend. Here's my take.

This is a shockingly bad game. To call it a game is being generous, it is an insult to my intelligence. The missions are entirely scripted, checkpoints are bafflingly placed at times, and I found myself repeatedly having to turn all sound off, because hearing the same bad Russian accent
    shout the same tired line for the 30th time was really getting on my nerves. The game's script faults lie in a number of places - events you only get one shot at, like doing a bombing run flawlessly first try, otherwise you have to reload checkpoints and do all the other bombing runs prior to it, over and over and over. Other areas are even worse, the final mission has you in dogfight mode until a certain number of scripted events happen. The enemy you are dogfighting is invulnerable, but you are not. Missiles come at you from all sides, but missiles you shoot at him will not hit until the whole script is over. I will not spoil the mechanic for how this happens, but I can assure you, actually outplaying the games AI only to have it cheat is immensely frustrating. I never finished the final mission as I just couldn't stand to repeat that script any longer. Frequently, enemies would double back and fly directly through my plane, probably breaking a couple rules of physics. This frustrated me for two reasons, some of the scripts are reliant on you remaining in dogfight mode, and I occasionally used one of my few special weapons, only to have the enemy double back immediately and pass right through them.

Sound is good. That's about the only thing that is, however. My graphics card is currently experiencing overheating issues, this game did not give me any problems. Why? Well, the game's not very pretty. It isn't very ugly, but it's not pretty. For some people who play action games on the PC, this matters. For me, I prefer the narratives and gameplay, gameplay we've covered. Well, the narrative. The narrative isn't bad. It isn't good. It's forgettable, which is arguably worse. Many missions I just tuned out the scripted voices of my 'co-pilot's. Some aspects are so cliche they made me cringe - low grade machismo underscored with cold war era racism and predictable twists. You get given control of your characters head in most areas, so you can look around, during some of the more cinematic moments but nothing more. It doesn't impact the game in any way and as pretty much everything is taking place in grey military bases, there isn't a lot to see to begin with.

I experienced an occasional crash to desktop, but the game is pretty good at returning you to your last checkpoint. I feel like this has been a waste of a couple days, and I did not pay money for the product. I would not recommend anybody else do so. If you do, play it on easy, because you really don't want to be playing this game for its aerial combat.
  22. Jul 28, 2014
    A disappointing watered down version of Ace Combat, dog fighting has been reduced to a rail shooter set up, planes can 'Heal' Damage. And a series that was once famous for a relatively realistic depiction of modern fighter combat now has me watching in wonder as a plane continually fires 6 missiles at me while I sit on its tail hitting it over and over to seemingly no effect.

The DFM
    mechanic was an unnecessary and unwelcome addition to the game that left me with headaches and no small amount of frustration, I am armed with heat seeking and radar guided missiles, why am I forced to continually close to guns range, this isn't exciting its tedious, there is no variation in the battles I found myself in. Be warned, there is no real control of your fighter in this game, there is no XYZ axis controls, you will be taking massive loops if you ever miss anything, there is no rudder or aileron control, you will be flying in straight lines until you get to the rail shooting and only the most basic moves will be available to you.

The quick time event DFM creates also seems a little buggy, sometimes it works, and sometimes I'll be hammering the button while my fighter gets shot to pieces. Some missions contain frustrating beginners traps forcing you to wade through it again and again until you figure out what you are supposed to be doing.

Story is lackluster and predictable, the Unsung War this is not not, the narrative is broken and disjointed, the characters are generally flat, and you know nothing about them. The attempt to build up the main villain is silly, either the main character is an honest to god psychic, or his opponent is beaming it into his mind. Otherwise this match up makes no sense, they have no reason to personally hate each other, they've never met. The final boss fight is a giant disappointment, teeth grindingly frustrating due to the forced DFM usage, there is no real climax, the plot just kind of meanders with no rhyme or reason.

Overall: Play the Unsung War if you want to play a good Ace combat game, leave this in the bargin bin

1. Feb 21, 2013
    A title you definitely didn't expect to see on PC, Ace Combat looks like a flight sim and plays like the vehicular sections of Call of Duty. It's a fun game while it lasts. The linear missions mean that the game holds no replay-value whatsoever. [Feb 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon is one of the best air combat games on the PC platform. If you can go beyond the limits of gameplay (due to the entire genre) then consider buying.
  3. Feb 15, 2013