5.9

1. Nov 16, 2014
    Ace Comat is nice to watch - but fairly boring to play. That is because it sort of plays itself ... either that.. or it runs on rails ( semi rails ). It felt much like a Call of Duty in the skies - and hardly ever did the sky feel ... that small.

Watching it is like watching an action movie - and like many action movies - they became a bit stale and repetitive. After the first excitement wears off though... one spots muddy ground textures under rather sparse enviromental modelling. In fact the places look like an older flight simulator.

The plane models are ok, but also do lack detail.

What bothers me the most is the flight models. - NEVER did it feel like flying a plane; there is no weight - and the agility of the jets is ridiculously over the top.

to top it even more - those "lead" planes can only be taken down in the dogfight mode - and while that mode spices the monotony up every now and then - there are simply too many lead planes - making that chase mode very very stale - very quickly.

to close that review - the story and characters are quite forgettable. It is sad that there are only really two games of that genre on PC - HAWX and this - and they are both fairly bad.
  2. Apr 28, 2014
    Combat is interesting for a while but is too repetitive and gets boring very quickly. While I appreciate the variety of game play types I find the only one entertaining enough to want to play over and over is the Apache missions. The fighter missions are the LEAST ENTERTAINING!!! I have no idea what they did wrong, perhaps its that whole chase sequence that the game requires. RegardlessCombat is interesting for a while but is too repetitive and gets boring very quickly. While I appreciate the variety of game play types I find the only one entertaining enough to want to play over and over is the Apache missions. The fighter missions are the LEAST ENTERTAINING!!! I have no idea what they did wrong, perhaps its that whole chase sequence that the game requires. Regardless way it failed to make its mark in the one aspect that SHOULD BE IMPORTANT! I recommend hawx (first one) and janes advanced strike fighters, to this. However, I really would like them to make a game that is all about gunships and have similar controls to this one... Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2014
    The only thing that stopped me from giving this game a lower rating was the simply fact that they don't have many flying games around, especially with modern planes. The series is an awesome one, but the last two titles they released have been the worst of the series by far. I wouldn't play this game if it was given to me for free, unfortunately I wasted money buying it without doing someThe only thing that stopped me from giving this game a lower rating was the simply fact that they don't have many flying games around, especially with modern planes. The series is an awesome one, but the last two titles they released have been the worst of the series by far. I wouldn't play this game if it was given to me for free, unfortunately I wasted money buying it without doing some researching before hand. Shame on me for assuming this game would of been great, since the graphic advancement I wanted so badly to play this game on PC.

The horrible thing is the DFM(Dog fighting mode) which on bosses means you have to get close to them to enter this mode and it just ruined it. I mean why would you tamper with a game which has been dominating flight games since PS1. I just don't get it, and for that I'd honestly have to say don't even bother playing this game. While the graphics are amazing, the game just is crap and they shouldn't of introduced that into a game, or rather they should of at least given an option to disable it if you didn't want to play with it on.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    It irks me that i have to write such an unfavorable review to one of my favorite childhood games. I really wanted to like it and i did at first. But then came the "additions". Dogfights, Helicopters, loud and extremely annoying, somewhat-story-related nagging of the game NPC. Why? I mean, i REALLY don't get it, why would someone want to take a fan favored franchise, a guaranteed home-run,It irks me that i have to write such an unfavorable review to one of my favorite childhood games. I really wanted to like it and i did at first. But then came the "additions". Dogfights, Helicopters, loud and extremely annoying, somewhat-story-related nagging of the game NPC. Why? I mean, i REALLY don't get it, why would someone want to take a fan favored franchise, a guaranteed home-run, and turn it into what looks like a "Call of Duty Nightmare", only to cater to a mass of brain-damaged Top Gun aficionados? Whoever made this thing, should really sit down and think about what they've done. It's a travesty. I'm utterly disappointed by this development. Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2013
    Worst Ace Combat game I have ever played. I will first start by saying the positive and that this game is pretty solid and bug free, runs well, even for a console port. However my gripe is with the god awful gameplay. This whole game is on rails. Not sure how you can manage to put a aircraft game on rails, but they do. First off the mission maps are small (The ones where you can actuallyWorst Ace Combat game I have ever played. I will first start by saying the positive and that this game is pretty solid and bug free, runs well, even for a console port. However my gripe is with the god awful gameplay. This whole game is on rails. Not sure how you can manage to put a aircraft game on rails, but they do. First off the mission maps are small (The ones where you can actually fly around.) I am not expecting a flight Sim, this is Ace Combat, but basic flight characteristic should be present as in other Ace Combats. 2 speeds, Stall and afterburners. Oh you think you can fly and dog fighting using your own tactics like in other ace combats??? LOL No. Everything forces you to use this stupid (DFM) mode. Which is pretty much a roller coast auto pilot, where your airplane pulls UFO maneuvers as you try to try to shoot down the enemy... and your pretty much not even flying the plane. So you can fly through Hollywood explosions... Plus for some reason some targets dont even die and 8 direct hits unless you enter Rollercoaster on rails Mode. So stupid! Think you can fly a stealth aircraft and fly through radar undetected? lol... According to Ace Combat you need to fly at low altitude through a radar screen.... Why? I have a B-2 that can fly through it at high altitude. In fact, you would be more vulnerable to be detected from your engines being heard from that low... I dont mind Arcade aircraft games, but that DFM Rollercoaster-cant-kill-anything-without-using-it mode is by far the worst idea to be used in a aircraft game! Expand
  6. Oct 31, 2015
    This is one of the sad cases where I actually enjoyed a game, quiet a lot even, but am still aware that it isn't much good and is actually not a game to recommend to anyone.
    I'll start by stating that I didn't play any other installment of Ace Combat and therefore I don't look at this game as a fan of the series, but simply gave this specific installment a try. I'm also not too experienced with flight games in general.
    Horizon Assault is a very arcadic game in almost every sense of the word.
    The story is, as you'd expect from this type of games, very predictable, generic, unsurprising, and not that vital for the game.

For a moment the game may seem like a flight simulator but it's definitely not, It's good at making you feel AS IF you're flying an aircraft, AS IF you're doing big stuff with the scripted explosions everywhere.
    And that's actually one of the strong points of the game, it's very good with BOOMING stuff, with making you feel that YOU are booming stuff, and it gives you an addicting sense of action and thrill, although with completely unrealistic mechanics at times (e.g. aircraft "heals" itself automatically while flying), but who cares, it's a video game.

The game's soundtrack also adds a LOT to the game, and as one who really cares about music in video games and is giving it a lot of attention, this game has one of the best tracks in video game soundtracks, in my opinion, with a combination of symphonic music with some electronicrock touches every once in a while. Splendid, really!

Unfortunately there are also reasons for you to stay away from Horizon Assault. Controls aren't most comfortable ever… Binding different keys won't help much. It can get confusing at times and at the beginning of the game I felt like quitting because I simply couldn't get hold of this DAMN helicopter. As soon as I got the hang of it, it started to get fun, though, but fun it really different and is a matter of perspective. And many people won't find this game fun at all.

The gameplay can get extremely repetitive and frustrating. The developers tried to keep it varied and in a way they succeeded in it, but it's still starting to feel generic and monotonous at times. Another thing which many people would hate is the Dog-Fight System, which is presented as an optional way to hunt your enemies but is actually your only way of getting through this game. And it can be horribly frustrating as well.

So, are you going to enjoy this game? That's really a matter of one's taste and expectations.
    I enjoyed it, mostly, and if you can enjoy some intense action sequences with things getting blown away with dramatic music in the background and some clichéd "saving America" story, it's possible you'd enjoy this as well.

It's possible you'd hate it, if that's not your kind …

Another note, out of the three times I've tried playing this game in multiplayer mode, I've managed to find other players to play with only once. So, my guess is that the multiplayer scene of Horizon Assault isn't very active. There's also no way to play over LAN, so, I could be wrong but I believe Horizon Assault pretty much leaves you with solely the single player missions. You should keep that in mind.
  7. Aug 2, 2013
    Kombinacje pomysłów zawsze nie wychodzą na dobre. Namco miesza samoloty, helikoptery, AC 130 i zwykłe strzelanie, tak aby wyszła z tego papka, za przeproszeniem, gówna. Słaba grafika, niedopracowana, nudna, i trudna.Tak można opisać 3/4 gry, co więc jest w tej 1/4? Samolot. Sterowanie samolotem, uniki, to jest coś co chciałbym widzieć przez całą tą grę. Twórcy muszą jak zawsze jednakKombinacje pomysłów zawsze nie wychodzą na dobre. Namco miesza samoloty, helikoptery, AC 130 i zwykłe strzelanie, tak aby wyszła z tego papka, za przeproszeniem, gówna. Słaba grafika, niedopracowana, nudna, i trudna.Tak można opisać 3/4 gry, co więc jest w tej 1/4? Samolot. Sterowanie samolotem, uniki, to jest coś co chciałbym widzieć przez całą tą grę. Twórcy muszą jak zawsze jednak pokombinować i zrobić coś co wychodzi innym twórcom znacznie lepiej w innych samodzielnych grach. Muszę przyznać że to jedna z najnudniejszych gier w jakie grałem. Proszę Namco, następnym razem wpakujcie tylko elementy z samolotami. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    I've always loved the Ace Combat series, this game is a bit of a stray. It is more cinematic and arcade than its former glory, which isn't a bad thing, but nothing to get excited about. This game is a great time killer when you need an adrenaline rush.
  9. Mar 30, 2013
    In order to play this game, you need to forget all you know about flight sims. This is not a flight simulator. If you treat it as such, you'll be very bored and very frustrated. Don't expect to lock you BVR weapons with a radar then letting them rip and you sneaking away by flying low to avoid radar. No, instead it will be up close and furious dogfights which have no resemblance toIn order to play this game, you need to forget all you know about flight sims. This is not a flight simulator. If you treat it as such, you'll be very bored and very frustrated. Don't expect to lock you BVR weapons with a radar then letting them rip and you sneaking away by flying low to avoid radar. No, instead it will be up close and furious dogfights which have no resemblance to reality. Once you get into a state of mind that this is but a silly arcade game, you'll have a blast. Where else do you avoid air-to-air missiles in a helicopter by performing a 360 flip?
    Leave reality at the door and you'll find a fun and over the top game.
  10. Oct 13, 2013
    Great aerial action shooter that strays from the traditional Ace Combat formula, which may not appeal to everyone--especially long-time fans. Personally, I had a blast, but I did miss the more hands-on approach of its predecessors. Everything is geared toward delivering frantic in-your-face moments, a la Call of Dookie, so realism takes a backseat. With a blistering sense of speed andGreat aerial action shooter that strays from the traditional Ace Combat formula, which may not appeal to everyone--especially long-time fans. Personally, I had a blast, but I did miss the more hands-on approach of its predecessors. Everything is geared toward delivering frantic in-your-face moments, a la Call of Dookie, so realism takes a backseat. With a blistering sense of speed and copious amounts of explosions, smoke, and shrapnel flying your way, it does manage to deliver its fair share of white-knuckle moments. So, if casual arcade shooting and blowing s**t up sounds like your cup of tea, then look no further. Assult Horizon is shallow, but also happens to be fairly pretty and fun to hang out with--so it's good for at least one date. It's also dirt cheap. Check it out. Expand
  11. Feb 4, 2013
    I have not seen dogfights since HAWX 2. I could tell that is a good game, well made ,nice graphics,realistic. It has variety of aircraft, missiles and other weapons. The multiplayer has more problems(connection problems) than the campaign. if you like simulation games the pick one.

It deserves 8
  12. Feb 8, 2013
    Terrible game.

Probably one of the worst I have ever played. To start with the idea of DFM is terrible, it is just on rails lock them on and shoot. There is no skill to it. The flight model is a joke, the jets bend the laws of physics to their will a stupid amount. Missiles target you out of nowhere. The final mission is one jet shooting missiles backwards into you. Jets take a
    Terrible game.

The flight model is a joke, the jets bend the laws of physics to their will a stupid amount. Missiles target you out of nowhere. The final mission is one jet shooting missiles backwards into you. Jets take a stupid amount of missiles to takes down, and it must all be done in DFM mode.

The story is me it's awful. Here's the entire storyline "YOU THE MAN NOW" followed by some russian chirping in "hue hue hue vodka".

If you consider this an anywhere near reflection of real flying just please kill yourself now and do the rest of the human race a favour, the game is a joke. Honestly it's not even worth the time to play it, I wouldn't even bother pirating it.

If you're willing to put aside it's flaws and just have fun, I doubt you will have even that. Honestly I would prefer my time back as opposed to playing this game. It will frustrate you to incredible heights as missiles from not existant enemies shoot you down for not using DFM. I have seen enemy planes literally warp in behind me, and ground units not appearing on the map, even though there's a green target reticle.

Ignore the marketers and other members of the team giving it 10s and 9s. The game is a joke, paying money for it would be even more laughable
  13. Mar 23, 2013
    Great to see an old and dearly loved franchise on the PC, though they did ruin it by incorporating ridiculous control schemes, and quick-time events. Ace combat is a fighter simulator.... stop trying to be everything else. It isn't working. I gave up halfway; the helicopter controls are unplayable on a joystick.
  14. Jul 24, 2014
    I'm usually not this harsh on most games but it is not even worth paying 5 bucks for this game in the current Steam Sale. It's a step backwards for the Ace Combat franchise in every possible way. The flight controls have been atrociously dumbed down and every plane has the same cartoonish feel. The combat system constantly forces you into annoying pre-scripted quick time sequences. TheI'm usually not this harsh on most games but it is not even worth paying 5 bucks for this game in the current Steam Sale. It's a step backwards for the Ace Combat franchise in every possible way. The flight controls have been atrociously dumbed down and every plane has the same cartoonish feel. The combat system constantly forces you into annoying pre-scripted quick time sequences. The story boils down to cliche American bros fighting evil Russian terrorists who somehow have a super advanced air force. Oh and the graphics are horrible. It would be like Activison trying to make "Call of Duty with Planes" and farming out the development to the most incompetent studio they could find. Expand
  15. Mar 25, 2013
    A total disgrace to the entire Ace Combat series. Especially the DRM mode. I have no idea why they decided to put on that stuff. Plus the cut scenes of chase are absolutely linear and boring. Exciting in the first time but on the second time you go through the same chase cut scenes, it definitely bores me off. Ace Combat has always been known to me as a casual arcade air combat game whereA total disgrace to the entire Ace Combat series. Especially the DRM mode. I have no idea why they decided to put on that stuff. Plus the cut scenes of chase are absolutely linear and boring. Exciting in the first time but on the second time you go through the same chase cut scenes, it definitely bores me off. Ace Combat has always been known to me as a casual arcade air combat game where missiles can be fired off a distance at any styles or stunt but this new DRM feature, it certainly throws them off. I just can't seem to think how after I've gone all through the loops and stunts to shoot an enemy in DRM mode, the plane simply levels off perfectly flat as if there were no sense of logic at all. Totally ridiculous. And by the way, the story line sucks. I prefer to stick to the former story line of Ace Combat featuring the fictional continents. I find AC5's story line to be much better than this one. There are fewer missions in this game than previous one & again, it stresses me out having to use DRM all the time. That's the feature that threw me off this game. I gave a point for the graphics though. No doubt it's much better but the rest 9 points are lost due to game mechanics and story line. Expand
  16. Jul 24, 2014
    We are PCers either great simulations or nothing. keep your Xbox, PlayStation arcade games where they belong, on consoles........Long live IL-2 type games, now that's a game
  17. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a horrible mess from the start, you will be messing around with the controls constantly, i have been playing the game for 7 hours now, and still i can't get the hang of it, and this is not even the worst of the game, enemy a.i will only attack you in the sky, they have unlimited flares while you only get like 4 or 5, and your friendly a.i is useless as well, during manyThis game is a horrible mess from the start, you will be messing around with the controls constantly, i have been playing the game for 7 hours now, and still i can't get the hang of it, and this is not even the worst of the game, enemy a.i will only attack you in the sky, they have unlimited flares while you only get like 4 or 5, and your friendly a.i is useless as well, during many missions you need to take out a transport plane or a missile, your teammates state every time they will keep the fighters off your back, NOT. You will be bombarded with missiles and bullets until you evade the enemy, meaning you will lose track of your target and it's game over.

And the worst thing about the game is, leaders of enemy squads cant be taken out in the old Ace Combat style, now you have to use a stupid dog fight mode. Another series ruined because people want more arcade hollywood action in their game.
  18. Jul 25, 2014
    Long time fan of the series here. When I heard about the PC port I almost pre-ordered it without checking. Glad I hesitated when I heard about the quicktime-like events. Now it's free-weekend on Steam, so I gave it a try. Sadly, it turns out to be as disappointing as everyone says. At first the assisted dog-fighting was somewhat fun, but it got boring and then annoying very fast. I triedLong time fan of the series here. When I heard about the PC port I almost pre-ordered it without checking. Glad I hesitated when I heard about the quicktime-like events. Now it's free-weekend on Steam, so I gave it a try. Sadly, it turns out to be as disappointing as everyone says. At first the assisted dog-fighting was somewhat fun, but it got boring and then annoying very fast. I tried to like it, but I just couldn't. Worst of all, it's pretty much mandatory to use, unlike the assistance-off & ERS modes in HAWX for example (which were actually fun to use). The sad thing is, the game is fine in every other way and deserves a much better grade for everything else. It's just the dogfight-assist that breaks the most important/fun part of the whole game: the one-on-one fights with skilled enemies. Expand
  19. Jan 29, 2013
    Very impressed with the graphical presentation. You really get some tense, vertigo inducing dogfights with a great arcade feeling. The controls are slick and smooth and planes shred apart in detailed explosions. This game is a must for any fan of arcade style vehicle shooters. Flight Sim veterans or people looking for any hint of realism or simulation may look elsewhere. Enjoy theVery impressed with the graphical presentation. You really get some tense, vertigo inducing dogfights with a great arcade feeling. The controls are slick and smooth and planes shred apart in detailed explosions. This game is a must for any fan of arcade style vehicle shooters. Flight Sim veterans or people looking for any hint of realism or simulation may look elsewhere. Enjoy the game for what it is. Expand
  20. Dec 14, 2013
    If you are willing to put aside gripes about not being set in the usual Ace Combat world and the total disregard for realism, this game can be a genuine enjoyment. My biggest gripe with the game is the fact that often, when you are chasing a high-ranking bad-guy, he will become unkillable until he leads you to a certain location, just so a cool killcam can occur. This bothered me because IIf you are willing to put aside gripes about not being set in the usual Ace Combat world and the total disregard for realism, this game can be a genuine enjoyment. My biggest gripe with the game is the fact that often, when you are chasing a high-ranking bad-guy, he will become unkillable until he leads you to a certain location, just so a cool killcam can occur. This bothered me because I feel it stifles your freedom as a pilot and negatively effects gameplay, just for the sake of showing off the visuals (which are fantastic btw). The controls take a little getting used to, especially if you've played past Ace Combat titles on the playstation, but should be no problem after a few hours of gameplay. Ace Combat Assault Horizon: Enhanced Edition: Fun, arcade mess with a disregard for realism, fan service, and gameplay. Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the Ace Combat series. This installment was a step in the wrong direction. I am really disappointed by DFM. Seriously, what is the point? Dog fighting with machine guns like we are flying biplanes. Where is the fun in that? If I wanted to play a WW2 pilot game I would do that.
  22. Jan 26, 2013
    I am a great fan of Ace combat series. I played in 2,3,4,5,zero,X(SoD and JA). And i can say, Assault Horizon is really good game. Great music, dynamic gameplay, nice graphic. I scored this game at 10/10, but multiplayer is not playable. Lags, hight ping, sometimes not find anyone.
  23. Mar 2, 2013
    This game is an experiment gone horribly wrong. I wonder what the developers were thinking, did they think we, loyal Ace Combat fans will like these new nonsensical additions? DFM especially, the scripted dog fights takes no skill at all. Adding DFM is bad enough, the game makes it worse by forcing you to use it, if you don't, you can't complete missions. Enemies that I could have takenThis game is an experiment gone horribly wrong. I wonder what the developers were thinking, did they think we, loyal Ace Combat fans will like these new nonsensical additions? DFM especially, the scripted dog fights takes no skill at all. Adding DFM is bad enough, the game makes it worse by forcing you to use it, if you don't, you can't complete missions. Enemies that I could have taken down easily with missiles become immune to them, planes only susceptible to bullet damage, I say. Expand
  24. May 22, 2014
    A truly amazing arcade flight sim, complete with gorgeous graphics and rather simple controls, which allows you to quickly jump into, without needing to configure massive amounts of settings, controls, etc.

Ace Combat : Assault Horizon (Enhanced Edition or not) gives you a fast, amazing dogfights with the new Close Range Assault system. The campaign also offers various types of missions, ranging from dogfights, attack helicopters, bombing runs, and even door gunners. Combat flight sim fans should give this one a try, and you gotta stay fly.
  25. Aug 6, 2013
    this is just real garbage. I was excited about this game after watcihng some videos. But man, this is not a real plane game. It is ONRAIL SCRIPTED IMBA SUPER ARCADE CASUAL CRAP. What a deception. $7 wasted.
  26. Jan 17, 2016
    It's a crappy game that plays itself. I bought because I own the 3DS version and that version is awesome. I also wacthed an AngryJoe and he said the game was excellent.

Well, turns out AngryJoe is just like any other reviewer out there: he gets paid by the publisher to review games. And the 3DS, that is great, is actually a remake of Ace Combat 2, so it's a completly different game.

Anyways, don't buy this piece of crap. There's ZERO gameplay in this game. You just to a cleck, select a enemy and the game kills it for you. Really, the game locks on the enemy and that's it, you got you kill.

It's pretty much an unplayable game in the sense that you don't play it.
  27. Nov 14, 2014
    if you are a fan of the Ace Combat series, Assault horizon is a Different kind of beast. so,since now,i warn you. Aproach this one with caution.

well,it feels like ace combat,plays for the most part like ace combat, but it has one mechanic that Kills it,DFM and ASM. those sections,when Scripted are Terrible,and makes the fights with aces,Especially the one with a certain shark nosed Plane Pilot, Unfufilling. At First,they are cool,but repeat them,over,and over,and over again,and you'll see what i mean. and this is agravated if you played other Ace Combat games on the consoles, that really demanded skills from you.

so,it's a Hard game?! Far from it. Easy,even on the Ace Difficulty,but it has it's B*SH*T moments.
    Is a Bad Ace combat game?! by my standards,Yes. Namco has done better with its franchises.
    But it's a Bad game?! HELL NO.

The better pros i gotta say is: the cutscenes that are awesomely made, the Aircraft Collor editor that even to this date i revisit, and the Awesome models,beautifull with full interiors made by Project aces.

But the Unforgivable Cons i gotta repeat: The DFM and ASM are not good systems when done Scripted like 60% of the game. some sections are not,but they fell a bit cluncky to control,and i tend to lose control quickly. another Con is that the control on this game is very sensitive,even on the most Non-Sensitive setting,so it doesn't feel like Ace 5,6,or Cross Rumble,and you get to have tighter reflexes to adapt on how the Jets fly on this game. they feel different,but horrible?! no... just,worse. and those aspects i'm glad that namcobandai got right on the next games of the franchise,that can and MUST keep going in the direction it was since Ace Combat 3 (jp)... that by the way i still wait for a remake of that game... but let's not get out of the tangent.

My final Veredict: 7/10. Is not a Bad game, i can recomend for you who want a Different Experience all togheter.
    But if you are a Ace fan,as a said Aproach with caution or Don't go for it.(or at least,wait untill the price drop if you want to experiment with this beast).
  28. Jan 31, 2013
    This game has impressed me so much I made an account just to rate this game. The graphics are outstanding from the realistic terrain to the detailed aircraft. But most of all it is just a blast to play it makes you feel like your a fighter pilot on a realistic mission. The controls are awesome I love the lock on mechanic it really sets it apart from other flight games and I've played a lotThis game has impressed me so much I made an account just to rate this game. The graphics are outstanding from the realistic terrain to the detailed aircraft. But most of all it is just a blast to play it makes you feel like your a fighter pilot on a realistic mission. The controls are awesome I love the lock on mechanic it really sets it apart from other flight games and I've played a lot of them. The only complaint that I have is that the missions can seem kind of long and this is the only reason I did not give it a 10. To me this is the next step in arcade flight games. I feel like racing games have come a long way over the years and now developers know how to fine tune the mechanics in the game to give the player the best experience and I believe that that is what this game has done for arcade flight games. Expand
  29. Aug 10, 2014
    The worst Ace Combat by far. DFM mode is stupid, no skill involved in this game. It is a disgrace to all the other acecombats. This isn't call of duty FFS. No need for a NPC+hollywood **** story. I want my money back.
  30. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is a pathetic excuse for an Ace Combat game. Dog fight mode is a stupid gimmick, forcing you to use helicopters is pathetic and not true to the series.

A real Ace Combat fan would delete this piece of **** from their hard drives and play the PS2 games over it. It's sad that a more recent, amazing looking game could have such a terrible story, terrible characters and overall

It's sad that a more recent, amazing looking game could have such a terrible story, terrible characters and overall poor quality. This game used to have a niche appeal and now they're trying to spread it out. It's not like I don't understand, I honestly do. You just did a very poor job with it.

I wouldn't give it a 1. I wouldn't give it a 6. The graphics make up a lot for the ****ness of the story campaign but it's still pathetic, mostly because dogfight mode takes away control of your flying so you can't even look at the nice scenery! That is its biggest problem... taking control away from the player.

Stick to the formula, guys. It's best to have a dedicated following than no following at all.
  31. Jan 26, 2013
    Having played all Ace Combat games for PSX and PS2 (but skipping PS3) on every difficulty, Ace Combat's migration to PC was too good to miss, right? Wish I hadn't bothered. The inclusion of other vehicles such as bombers and helicopters was a good idea, but poorly executed. Controls are clunky at best, imprecise and frustrating. Meanwhile air combat has taken giant leaps backwards, withHaving played all Ace Combat games for PSX and PS2 (but skipping PS3) on every difficulty, Ace Combat's migration to PC was too good to miss, right? Wish I hadn't bothered. The inclusion of other vehicles such as bombers and helicopters was a good idea, but poorly executed. Controls are clunky at best, imprecise and frustrating. Meanwhile air combat has taken giant leaps backwards, with semi quick-time events apparently passing as 'dogfights'. The old thrill of chasing and gunning down enemies has been cast aside. 50% of your enemies possess near infinite supplies of flares to render missiles useless, forcing you into 'DFM' quick-time events along pre-scripted flight paths, automatically flown while you aim an awkward reticule to gun and shoot your enemy. Refusal to conform to this 'DFM' mode is punished by almost every enemy in the sky locking on you with DFM themselves in what is only describable as 'exaggerated' flight maneuvers, in which all previous plane handling mechanics are now cast aside. Enemies miraculously remain locked 200m from your tail, no matter what, unless you conform once more to the rather awkward 'counter-maneuver' system, as missiles chase you in a similar fashion. I could go on but I think the impression comes across. Worth buying? For anyone who's ever enjoyed a true Ace Combat game - no. Not unless you want to see a good example of what NOT to include in an Ace Combat game. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    A title you definitely didn't expect to see on PC, Ace Combat looks like a flight sim and plays like the vehicular sections of Call of Duty. It's a fun game while it lasts. The linear missions mean that the game holds no replay-value whatsoever. [Feb 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon is one of the best air combat games on the PC platform. If you can go beyond the limits of gameplay (due to the entire genre) then consider buying.
  3. Feb 15, 2013