6.0

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Worst Ace Combat game I have ever played. I will first start by saying the positive and that this game is pretty solid and bug free, runs well, even for a console port. However my gripe is with the god awful gameplay. This whole game is on rails. Not sure how you can manage to put a aircraft game on rails, but they do. First off the mission maps are small (The ones where you can actually fly around.) I am not expecting a flight Sim, this is Ace Combat, but basic flight characteristic should be present as in other Ace Combats. 2 speeds, Stall and afterburners. Oh you think you can fly and dog fighting using your own tactics like in other ace combats??? LOL No. Everything forces you to use this stupid (DFM) mode. Which is pretty much a roller coast auto pilot, where your airplane pulls UFO maneuvers as you try to try to shoot down the enemy... and your pretty much not even flying the plane. So you can fly through Hollywood explosions... Plus for some reason some targets dont even die and 8 direct hits unless you enter Rollercoaster on rails Mode. So stupid! Think you can fly a stealth aircraft and fly through radar undetected? lol... According to Ace Combat you need to fly at low altitude through a radar screen.... Why? I have a B-2 that can fly through it at high altitude. In fact, you would be more vulnerable to be detected from your engines being heard from that low... I dont mind Arcade aircraft games, but that DFM Rollercoaster-cant-kill-anything-without-using-it mode is by far the worst idea to be used in a aircraft game! Expand
  2. Aug 2, 2013
    Kombinacje pomysłów zawsze nie wychodzą na dobre. Namco miesza samoloty, helikoptery, AC 130 i zwykłe strzelanie, tak aby wyszła z tego papka, za przeproszeniem, gówna. Słaba grafika, niedopracowana, nudna, i trudna.Tak można opisać 3/4 gry, co więc jest w tej 1/4? Samolot. Sterowanie samolotem, uniki, to jest coś co chciałbym widzieć przez całą tą grę. Twórcy muszą jak zawsze jednak pokombinować i zrobić coś co wychodzi innym twórcom znacznie lepiej w innych samodzielnych grach. Muszę przyznać że to jedna z najnudniejszych gier w jakie grałem. Proszę Namco, następnym razem wpakujcie tylko elementy z samolotami. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2013
    I've always loved the Ace Combat series, this game is a bit of a stray. It is more cinematic and arcade than its former glory, which isn't a bad thing, but nothing to get excited about. This game is a great time killer when you need an adrenaline rush.
  4. Feb 1, 2013
    It irks me that i have to write such an unfavorable review to one of my favorite childhood games. I really wanted to like it and i did at first. But then came the "additions". Dogfights, Helicopters, loud and extremely annoying, somewhat-story-related nagging of the game NPC. Why? I mean, i REALLY don't get it, why would someone want to take a fan favored franchise, a guaranteed home-run, and turn it into what looks like a "Call of Duty Nightmare", only to cater to a mass of brain-damaged Top Gun aficionados? Whoever made this thing, should really sit down and think about what they've done. It's a travesty. I'm utterly disappointed by this development. Collapse
  5. Feb 4, 2013
    I have not seen dogfights since HAWX 2. I could tell that is a good game, well made ,nice graphics,realistic. It has variety of aircraft, missiles and other weapons. The multiplayer has more problems(connection problems) than the campaign. if you like simulation games the pick one.

It deserves 8
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    In order to play this game, you need to forget all you know about flight sims. This is not a flight simulator. If you treat it as such, you'll be very bored and very frustrated. Don't expect to lock you BVR weapons with a radar then letting them rip and you sneaking away by flying low to avoid radar. No, instead it will be up close and furious dogfights which have no resemblance to reality. Once you get into a state of mind that this is but a silly arcade game, you'll have a blast. Where else do you avoid air-to-air missiles in a helicopter by performing a 360 flip?
    Leave reality at the door and you'll find a fun and over the top game.
  7. Mar 23, 2013
    Great to see an old and dearly loved franchise on the PC, though they did ruin it by incorporating ridiculous control schemes, and quick-time events. Ace combat is a fighter simulator.... stop trying to be everything else. It isn't working. I gave up halfway; the helicopter controls are unplayable on a joystick.
  8. Feb 8, 2013
    Terrible game.

Probably one of the worst I have ever played. To start with the idea of DFM is terrible, it is just on rails lock them on and shoot. There is no skill to it.

The flight model is a joke, the jets bend the laws of physics to their will a stupid amount. Missiles target you out of nowhere. The final mission is one jet shooting missiles backwards into you. Jets take a
    stupid amount of missiles to takes down, and it must all be done in DFM mode.

The story is me it's awful. Here's the entire storyline "YOU THE MAN NOW" followed by some russian chirping in "hue hue hue vodka".

If you consider this an anywhere near reflection of real flying just please kill yourself now and do the rest of the human race a favour, the game is a joke. Honestly it's not even worth the time to play it, I wouldn't even bother pirating it.

If you're willing to put aside it's flaws and just have fun, I doubt you will have even that. Honestly I would prefer my time back as opposed to playing this game. It will frustrate you to incredible heights as missiles from not existant enemies shoot you down for not using DFM. I have seen enemy planes literally warp in behind me, and ground units not appearing on the map, even though there's a green target reticle.

Ignore the marketers and other members of the team giving it 10s and 9s. The game is a joke, paying money for it would be even more laughable
  9. Oct 13, 2013
    Great aerial action shooter that strays from the traditional Ace Combat formula, which may not appeal to everyone--especially long-time fans. Personally, I had a blast, but I did miss the more hands-on approach of its predecessors. Everything is geared toward delivering frantic in-your-face moments, a la Call of Dookie, so realism takes a backseat. With a blistering sense of speed and copious amounts of explosions, smoke, and shrapnel flying your way, it does manage to deliver its fair share of white-knuckle moments. So, if casual arcade shooting and blowing s**t up sounds like your cup of tea, then look no further. Assult Horizon is shallow, but also happens to be fairly pretty and fun to hang out with--so it's good for at least one date. It's also dirt cheap. Check it out. Expand
  10. Mar 25, 2013
    A total disgrace to the entire Ace Combat series. Especially the DRM mode. I have no idea why they decided to put on that stuff. Plus the cut scenes of chase are absolutely linear and boring. Exciting in the first time but on the second time you go through the same chase cut scenes, it definitely bores me off. Ace Combat has always been known to me as a casual arcade air combat game where missiles can be fired off a distance at any styles or stunt but this new DRM feature, it certainly throws them off. I just can't seem to think how after I've gone all through the loops and stunts to shoot an enemy in DRM mode, the plane simply levels off perfectly flat as if there were no sense of logic at all. Totally ridiculous. And by the way, the story line sucks. I prefer to stick to the former story line of Ace Combat featuring the fictional continents. I find AC5's story line to be much better than this one. There are fewer missions in this game than previous one & again, it stresses me out having to use DRM all the time. That's the feature that threw me off this game. I gave a point for the graphics though. No doubt it's much better but the rest 9 points are lost due to game mechanics and story line. Expand
  11. Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a horrible mess from the start, you will be messing around with the controls constantly, i have been playing the game for 7 hours now, and still i can't get the hang of it, and this is not even the worst of the game, enemy a.i will only attack you in the sky, they have unlimited flares while you only get like 4 or 5, and your friendly a.i is useless as well, during many missions you need to take out a transport plane or a missile, your teammates state every time they will keep the fighters off your back, NOT. You will be bombarded with missiles and bullets until you evade the enemy, meaning you will lose track of your target and it's game over.

And the worst thing about the game is, leaders of enemy squads cant be taken out in the old Ace Combat style, now you have to use a stupid dog fight mode. Another series ruined because people want more arcade hollywood action in their game.
  12. Jan 29, 2013
    Very impressed with the graphical presentation. You really get some tense, vertigo inducing dogfights with a great arcade feeling. The controls are slick and smooth and planes shred apart in detailed explosions. This game is a must for any fan of arcade style vehicle shooters. Flight Sim veterans or people looking for any hint of realism or simulation may look elsewhere. Enjoy the game for what it is. Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    If you are willing to put aside gripes about not being set in the usual Ace Combat world and the total disregard for realism, this game can be a genuine enjoyment. My biggest gripe with the game is the fact that often, when you are chasing a high-ranking bad-guy, he will become unkillable until he leads you to a certain location, just so a cool killcam can occur. This bothered me because I feel it stifles your freedom as a pilot and negatively effects gameplay, just for the sake of showing off the visuals (which are fantastic btw). The controls take a little getting used to, especially if you've played past Ace Combat titles on the playstation, but should be no problem after a few hours of gameplay. Ace Combat Assault Horizon: Enhanced Edition: Fun, arcade mess with a disregard for realism, fan service, and gameplay. Expand
  14. Mar 2, 2013
    This game is an experiment gone horribly wrong. I wonder what the developers were thinking, did they think we, loyal Ace Combat fans will like these new nonsensical additions? DFM especially, the scripted dog fights takes no skill at all. Adding DFM is bad enough, the game makes it worse by forcing you to use it, if you don't, you can't complete missions. Enemies that I could have taken down easily with missiles become immune to them, planes only susceptible to bullet damage, I say. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the Ace Combat series. This installment was a step in the wrong direction. I am really disappointed by DFM. Seriously, what is the point? Dog fighting with machine guns like we are flying biplanes. Where is the fun in that? If I wanted to play a WW2 pilot game I would do that.
  16. Jan 26, 2013
    I am a great fan of Ace combat series. I played in 2,3,4,5,zero,X(SoD and JA). And i can say, Assault Horizon is really good game. Great music, dynamic gameplay, nice graphic. I scored this game at 10/10, but multiplayer is not playable. Lags, hight ping, sometimes not find anyone.
  17. Apr 4, 2014
    This game is a pathetic excuse for an Ace Combat game. Dog fight mode is a stupid gimmick, forcing you to use helicopters is pathetic and not true to the series.

A real Ace Combat fan would delete this piece of **** from their hard drives and play the PS2 games over it.
    It's sad that a more recent, amazing looking game could have such a terrible story, terrible characters and overall
    poor quality. This game used to have a niche appeal and now they're trying to spread it out. It's not like I don't understand, I honestly do. You just did a very poor job with it.

I wouldn't give it a 1. I wouldn't give it a 6. The graphics make up a lot for the ****ness of the story campaign but it's still pathetic, mostly because dogfight mode takes away control of your flying so you can't even look at the nice scenery! That is its biggest problem... taking control away from the player.

Stick to the formula, guys. It's best to have a dedicated following than no following at all.
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    I have been a fan of the series for a very long time. I am only about 6 hours into the game. I love how this time it is in real settings and not a fantasy world. Graphics on the pc are stunning. I have seen no lag or any issues what so ever so far. If you are a fan of the series i highly recommend picking this game up!
  19. Feb 5, 2013
    Excelente juego, algunos movimientos de los aviones son totalmente irreales, y el control del helicóptero es horrible, pero de resto buen juego, buen rendimiento en PC
  20. Jan 31, 2013
    This game has impressed me so much I made an account just to rate this game. The graphics are outstanding from the realistic terrain to the detailed aircraft. But most of all it is just a blast to play it makes you feel like your a fighter pilot on a realistic mission. The controls are awesome I love the lock on mechanic it really sets it apart from other flight games and I've played a lot of them. The only complaint that I have is that the missions can seem kind of long and this is the only reason I did not give it a 10. To me this is the next step in arcade flight games. I feel like racing games have come a long way over the years and now developers know how to fine tune the mechanics in the game to give the player the best experience and I believe that that is what this game has done for arcade flight games. Expand
  21. Feb 2, 2013
    Arcade game, very fun, repetitive stuff like dogfight flying on same zone, if youre a sim fan dont buy this game, but only for fun and win the war alone, nice try
  22. Aug 6, 2013
    this is just real garbage. I was excited about this game after watcihng some videos. But man, this is not a real plane game. It is ONRAIL SCRIPTED IMBA SUPER ARCADE CASUAL CRAP. What a deception. $7 wasted.
  23. Jan 14, 2014
    O Ace Combat que estou anallisando, é um ótimo jogo, com graficos maravilhosos e com uma história bem peculiar.

No 1° dia de Lançamento na Steam, eu comprei o jogo e fiquei ansioso para joga-lo, dito e feito, assim que baixou fiquei maravilhado com o mesmo, pois pela jogabilidade e imersão em seus graficos e história o game chama muita atenção e é uma bela obra de arte.

Eu recomendo
    totalmente, pois a série Ace Combat é realmente uma série para se levar em consideração e jogar sem medo algum de se arrepender, para os que gostam de simuladores que nem Comanche 3 e F-22 Raptor. Expand
  24. Jan 26, 2013
    Having played all Ace Combat games for PSX and PS2 (but skipping PS3) on every difficulty, Ace Combat's migration to PC was too good to miss, right? Wish I hadn't bothered. The inclusion of other vehicles such as bombers and helicopters was a good idea, but poorly executed. Controls are clunky at best, imprecise and frustrating. Meanwhile air combat has taken giant leaps backwards, with semi quick-time events apparently passing as 'dogfights'. The old thrill of chasing and gunning down enemies has been cast aside. 50% of your enemies possess near infinite supplies of flares to render missiles useless, forcing you into 'DFM' quick-time events along pre-scripted flight paths, automatically flown while you aim an awkward reticule to gun and shoot your enemy. Refusal to conform to this 'DFM' mode is punished by almost every enemy in the sky locking on you with DFM themselves in what is only describable as 'exaggerated' flight maneuvers, in which all previous plane handling mechanics are now cast aside. Enemies miraculously remain locked 200m from your tail, no matter what, unless you conform once more to the rather awkward 'counter-maneuver' system, as missiles chase you in a similar fashion. I could go on but I think the impression comes across. Worth buying? For anyone who's ever enjoyed a true Ace Combat game - no. Not unless you want to see a good example of what NOT to include in an Ace Combat game. Expand
  25. May 16, 2013
    while the graphics and sound are top notch )except for the ground and buildings) the controls are hopeless. pitch and yaw should be separate control's..instead i find i am unable to do an aileron roll and the handling suffers dramatically..ive died multiple times just because the controls are not up to standard of the old ace combat or the HAWX games.
  26. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm flying a jet or i'm driving a boat after a mix of drugs? I won't finish the game, it makes me too disappointed, frustrated... I know the game is not a simulator, but there's a limit... Not funny at all, not like old Ace games, I won't write all problems, there are a lot of review about them! Simply don't buy this game...
    Ps. I'm talking to you Microsoft, to you and your "Games for
    Windows Live": Get the hell out of my games!!! Expand
  27. Jul 19, 2013
    I am a fan of Arcade Aerial Combat games and I have played HAWX 1 and HAWX 2 before but nothing comes close to it. In this game you start off as a Colonel and you play other roles also during the game.
    I haven't completed the game so won't comment on the story yet but so far it looks good to me and to be honest you don't need a story to play a aerial combat game anyway. Its always the
    same, kill that, protect that and all so story is irrelevant really in these games, however gameplay matters a lot and this is where this game really shines. Yes the controls are sometimes awkward to me, I mean I have wasted many Flares because of weird controls but still the game offers you so much variety that you'll play the game anyway. You can kill the enemy from behind, enter Dogfight mode or Counter the missiles, all are there and enemies does that too so you have to be on edge specially on hard difficulty. I have a compaint that I am unable to roll my plane and do my favorite maneuvers but still I can't take away from this game that this game is darn good Arcade Aerial combat I have seen.

Graphics are top notch and damage details of the planes are amazing. When you shoot down a plane then you'll really think that yes I have nailed him. Although Buildings looks nice but damage details on them in not very good To be honest, also the ground doesn't look that good as compared to other details but be rest assured that it would be much better than HAW 2 or anything for that matter.

Talking about sound, I have nothing to complaint about and nothing to praise about also, I would say its nice and good but not that good that it would give you OMG or WTF feeling but visuals would for sure.

Also the game is very well optimized for PC and runs fine without lags which is a big relief considering some console ports being terribly bad lately, kudos to developers for achieving that.

All in all a very nice game which you should not miss by any chance if you like Aerial Combat games.
  28. Oct 19, 2013
    I have not played the previous games but I have heard they where realistic. I can understand why hardcore fans didn't like this game due to DMR and other unrealistic features.
    Personally I liked the game.. Alot! We already have MANY jet simulators so why not some AAA arcade games too. The game is really action packed and with DMR, that works really well by the way keeps the gameplay
    intense. The game also features a wide variety of high detailed jet fighters. The soundtracks are also good.

I think it isnt fair to vote down this game only because it is "too unrealistic". I don't think the developers actually wanted to create a simulator of this concept. They clearly wanted to create an arcade game wich everyone could enjoy. And for you who actually played the game: THIS PARTICULARY GAME IS NOT AN SIMULATOR IT IS AN ARCADE GAME. I would call this one a spinoff from the original games!

Summary
    The gameplay was fun and intense, and if you like mindless action and badass jet fights this is the game to get. If you want a simulator DO NOT GET THIS GAME!
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    I'd say very poor implemented console port.
    Graphics struck in 2008, controls....forgot about controls, plot is look's like composed out of mental clinic patients graphomany attempts. Require Windows Live.

I love Ace Combat series on PS3 and PSP, but that is insult for PC gamers.
  30. Oct 15, 2013
    This is the best flight combat game at this time and ive played alot of flight games but ace combat is #1. I hope they make a new one for 2014.
  31. Feb 1, 2013

1. Feb 21, 2013
    A title you definitely didn't expect to see on PC, Ace Combat looks like a flight sim and plays like the vehicular sections of Call of Duty. It's a fun game while it lasts. The linear missions mean that the game holds no replay-value whatsoever. [Feb 2013]
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    Ace Combat Assault Horizon is one of the best air combat games on the PC platform. If you can go beyond the limits of gameplay (due to the entire genre) then consider buying.
  3. Feb 15, 2013