5.0

1. Dec 24, 2012
    I saw this game advertised on Steam and through it'd be a great digital stocking stuffer for myself and my younger brother. It's a fun game to play but it has a fatal flaw; YOU CANNOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME! The developers instead have opted to host every server themselves.

For a game like this where there could be hours of fun on private servers; building elaborate bases before
    annihilating each other, the absence of this feature leaves this game feeling extremely lacking.

I've given this game a three as I feel it's really only a third of the game that it easily could have been.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is nothing compare to "original" version. Smaller, tighter maps, faster gameplay, No CTF mode, no Rifle, crap optimization, crap server browser. This game is a huge disappointment.
  3. Dec 14, 2012
    The beta of the game was very fun. I played it for nearly a year. But the current version.... it loses most of its charm.

It used to be a slower paced tactical shooter, which required strategy and team work to win. Now it focuses on the individual instead of the team, discourages building/destruction and overall makes it just your average run and gun shooter. Now don't get me wrong, I
    like a lot of games like that. But it doesn't really fit in with the blocky theme.

Altogether it looks like they were drunk when they made it, all these crazy features that are pretty much useless.

Also there are several problems with the game engine itself. I have a decent computer. Alienware x51 and the game runs at 20 FPS. I could run the beta of the game at a solid 60.
  4. Dec 15, 2012
    Now, when I buy a game I expect it to live up to its monies worth. For $10, this game did not even live up to that. There are no Australian servers. For three days now I have been browsing the servers just waiting for a server that has under 100 ping to no avail. It is literally impossible to shoot anybody because of the ping and lag issues. Where are the different game modes? Why have they changed the entire concept of Ace of Spades from a WW1 environment to some magical fantasy land? Unlike the beta, there is virtually no point in building your own fortresses/trenches etc because there is no room to do so nor is there any point. There is no team work whatsoever and everyone is an individual fighting for themselves. Overall, a poor result of a game that had so much potential to be great. Do not spend $10 on this game, It's honestly not even worth $5. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2012
    Even if you ignore the fact that Ace of Spades is no longer free, it's still vastly inferior now than it was before. Before, the worst thing you had to deal with was a shotgun and everyone would build massive tunnels and bases, and it was awesome. Now, what's the point? Someone will just come in with a jetpack and blow you up, or someone will just blow you up anyway, because every **** class has enormous explosives, which basically ruins the point of even building anything anymore. It's like they wanted to drive everyone away that wasn't ten years old. Completely ruined. Expand
  6. Dec 15, 2012
    Wow, to break a game this bad takes some amount of talent. I hadn't even played the beta version before this one, so I wasn't coming into this biased. I bought this on impulse on release and was immediately disappointed. Buggy, laggy, unbalanced, and just not fun. I couldn't understand why people were raving about this.. then I checked out the beta. It needed some polish, but there is an addictive quality to it. I can understand why people got hooked. The pacing in the beta version is just right. How the new developers could play that, and come up with this pile is baffling to me.

Even if you chalk up the bugs to first release issues, this game is horrible. Stay away. I wouldn't download this again even if it was free. One of the few times I wish Steam had a refund button.
  7. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is awful. It promises "Construction. Combat. Creativity." but delivers only combat, and does so very poorly. It's been three days since release and their servers still can't handle the game, making it essentially unplayable on full servers, but even if it was working the gameplay mechanics discourage building in every way possible:

People can jetpack over huge patches of the
    map quickly and weapons do little damage per shot, meaning people will never feel the need to build cover. This combined with small maps leads to COD style run in and shoot gameplay. You can often see the enemy spawn area from where you spawn in and fire on enemies within seconds. It's a waste of a great concept and most definitely a waste of money. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  8. Dec 14, 2012
    I bought the game immediately, since it looked so fun and intriguing and i loved the concept. Well, what can i say: I am a bit disappointed there. I thought i get to design whole maps to tear them down. I thought i could host my own game. But NO, said STEAM (or JagEx, the company behind the game). From what i read so far, the game was bought by them from a single programmer and then totally altered in a unpleasant way? Anyhow, here go my big let-down facts:

A) NO Editor whatsoever. There is said to be an editor to do that called VOXEL, but that thing is post-alpha pre-beta status, a pain in the ass to use and it is not delivered with the game. SO, YOU CAN NOT DESIGN OWN MAPS.

B) ah yes, the maps. THERE ARE ONLY 4-5 MAPS. for ALL the gaming modes. tedious as hell.

C) THE GAMING MODES: THERE IS LIKE 4 OF THEM. and Demolition is about the most fun. and that's it. D) YOU CAN NOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME. no possibility ingame to get a server running. i heard there is a tool delivered with the game to do that, but it is not to be found in the steam download and from what i read - a pain in the ass, just like the editor.

E) SERVERS ARE **** pings are enormous, you get timeout warnings all the time, lagging, what have you. F) building is totally not half as important as it is mentioned in the ad text. you CAN add own blocks to repair your base and such, but that is boring. Conclusion: i would love to give that game at least a 5 out of 10, since it is new on steam, can be patched easily and i hope that jagex will improve the game. but my gaming experience tells me: this game was released half finished of what it COULD have been to get the company a quick buck, and it will never see any more improvement. it's still not a total **** thanks to the demolition mode, it's fine for a quick round now and then, but yeah......as i said. i doubt it will see many patches and/or important and needed improvements as "setting up your own server" and "designing your own maps easily".
  9. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a good game... the only problem is that it isn't "Ace of Spades". I, too, snapped this game up way too hastily, thinking I was buying the same copy of the game that I so lovingly played not a few months ago. What Jagex have done to the original game is absolutely horrible and they have turned AoS into a much more commercial "Team Fortress 2" style game. The very heart and soul of the original has been stripped, and I seriously recommend that those who still want to play Ace of Spades, play the beta version, which is being kept alive on a website called "build and shoot".
    I'm giving this game 1 star for being fun to play, but it loses 9 because of how much Jagex stripped it of everything that made the game lovable.
  10. Dec 13, 2012
    This game does not even work properly , i wish i could give it a chance and try to enjoy it but their servers seems to have big issues , i keep lagging , rubberbanding , stuttering and getting connection warnings I have a fast connection with a high end gaming system , i play online games on a regular basis so the issue is not on my end i just have to accept the fact that i lost 10$
  11. Dec 26, 2012
    Once again, Jagex manages to **** things up. This time, it's a rip-off of another great game! Jagex CLAIMS to have been working on the game with the original creators for a year. NO, they jumped in on the project in November 2012 so that they would try healing the harmed souls from The Evolution of Combat.

You'd really expect Jagex to fix all the things they've done to Runescape and
    complete the new sci-fi MMORPG called Stellar Dawn that they were working on for years. NO, they spent the money on making this **** game right after CANCELING Stellar Dawn because they had to use their RESOURCES to work on RuneScape instead!

Really, I have seen several awful game companies, and I really thought The War Z had the worst game company I had ever seen. However, when I think back on it, Jagex has had the worst customer support of any game I have ever played! Never EVER have i received a message from a Jagex Moderator that was not computer generated. Why would you want to send them a support message though? Because they don't have any phone number you can contact them on if something happens to your game account.

Now the real question is, do they support the customers?

*drumroll*

No, they leave a first impression that slaps you in the face and burns into your brain.

Remember, stay away from Ace of Spades, stay away from RuneScape and STAY AWAY FROM JAGEX!
  12. Jan 4, 2013
    This game SUCKS. This comes from a great fan of Minecraft. I bought it recently on a Steam Sale for me and a bunch of friends. It is just BAD. It's NOT a good game. Everyone has a bunch of retardedly powerful explosives, maps are too big for the number of players, making it a pain to choose anything but rocketeer... building is lame and doesn't work right most of the time. Basically everyone takes sniper/rocketeer, with a few engineers digging tunnels and blowing up tnt...

Even in CTF, the game feels like there's no purpose, maps are lame and too empty... don't even get me started on no-dedicated-server approach.

JagEx is a one retarded company if you ask me. How the **** can you screw up such a great idea...

Not even mentioning the fact, that the trailers show weapons un-obtainable ingame (machine gun).

Overall, don't buy this piece of **** Buy minecraft, install tekkit and you have same thing.
  13. Dec 15, 2012
    I told players in the forums before it was out: "don't knock it till you tried it". Well, I've tried it for a few days now and here is my impression of the game broken down into points.

The game feels and looks as if it was made by a European toy company. It looks like Legos with guns aimed at a demographic of 8-12 year olds. It seems like a rushed production where the goal was to make
    it look attractive, promote it the same way you would toys, and sell as many copies as possible right after launch. They even use reviews from video game review websites/companies such as IGN, before a proper review could be made, leading to my suspicion, that as always, these sites/companies were paid for a positive review. IGN for example has been suspected many times of being paid to give a game a positive review.

The maps were made by artists and not level designers. In fact, level design seems to be non-existent in the maps. It feels more like artists took inspiration from levels from other games and made an attempt to make maps like them. With no destructible terrain, the maps might be half decent. No one that worked on the levels took into account how destructive the classes/weapons are and did not use that knowledge in designing. However, those who designed the levels themselves do not seem to have either the knowledge or experience to design proper maps. For example, the map: London Bridge, has spawn points for both teams somewhat perpendicular to the orientation of the bridge. In other words, rather than facing eachother from opposite sides of the bridge and thus the bridge would become a key element in map control, the bridge is nothing more than useless eye candy. Both teams spawn practically on one side of the bridge and face eachother over a curving part of river. Both teams also spawn on one side and corner of the map, rather than exactly opposite eachother.

Lastly, I understand at launch, every game has bugs in it that eventually get fixed. Ace of Spades 1.0 however not only has shoddy netcode, but it also seems to suffer from many memory leaks. The clientside to server side updating is some of the most horrible I've ever seen. Sometimes, it seems like the server can't decide if you hit an enemy or haven't or where you really are on the map. I can't count how many times I warped back and forth between 2 coordinates. The memory leaks are noticeable from the graphics. Even at the lowest settings on a fast system with a new card, more than adequate ram, high end processor, the FPS is still all over the place and gradually degrades as you play the game. From a programming perspective, I'm starting to be suspicious that they took the original engine and layered all the new elements in the game on top of it and hoped that it would be able to handle a heightened graphic level and many more effects such as increased particle effects. If this is true, the original engine is getting bogged down by all the extra work and was not originally designed to handle so much.

In summary, like I said, if feels like it was made by a toy company for the sole purpose of immediate profits. It really does look and feel like someone took Legos and weapons and threw them into pot and then pushed the digital version of that pot out the door as fast as possible. And I'm saying that while trying to be straightforward and give an honest opinion without hate or any negative intent.

I think it's going to take Jagex a lot of work to fix the list of problems with their game, if they would like to continue to make money off of it. I support any company that wants to sell a game. Game making is very hard work and takes a lot of resources. However, quality is what makes or breaks a game. Time will tell. Buyer beware. Buy the game if you feel that there is still promise there and that they can still improve to a point of being a quality game. Thanks for reading,

--Snow
  14. Dec 19, 2012
    As an avid Jagex support since Runescape Classic I was thoroughly excited they finally made it to a "platform" game available on Steam. I immediately bought the game as it was released on Steam and well...was very surprised of the LACK of readiness this game was for a mainstream market. I didn't even expect this game to have fancy graphics (which it didn't) I really was looking forward to a well-built game engine as experienced with Minecraft....but fell VERY, VERY short of my expectations and consistency in game play. I have never bought a game on Steam that I had felt like my $10 instantly burned up upon purchasing. Realistically this game should be .99 and believe they moved the decimal over once space was an insult to the original developer's product and open-source attitude. Expand
  15. Dec 15, 2012
    seriously,this game is way more bad than the classic ones,once in a while AoS is a free game,now,this game is turned out to be a crap,because of jagex.
  16. Dec 18, 2012
    What can I say. This enjoyable game with great potential has been utterly ruined.
    The flashy graphics on the promo page was a clue to what was happening. Truly awful.
  17. Feb 15, 2013
    When Ace of Spades was in its beta version, it was at its peak. When Jagex took over, they started doing 'shady' things to the game, to the point where it wasn't Ace of Spades anymore; it was just another FPS Minecraft clone. I purchased this game when I was lead to believe that there was a linux version coming out shortly by one of Jagex's employees, only to find out that they were NOT going to release a linux version. The game is dead, and is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH BUYING! Expand
  18. Dec 18, 2012
    Pretty good time waster when it was free but not really worth paying for.
    I would much rather play the far superior Guncraft instead.

I played this quite a bit when it first came out but it was basically featureless at the time.
    It's nice to see this game has made some progress, but it still has a long way to go before it's worth the price they are charging.
  19. Dec 15, 2012
    Should have read the reviews before purchasing this game, never played the original but i liked the concept Boy am I disappointed. I won't rip on the lag issue since I hope they are actually working on it but I will complain about the lack of private servers. It looks like Jagex wants to keep tally of all the users scores for competitions or something. This is an annoyance and Jagex should place the social media aspect on the back burner since this game has more then enough problems and I really doubt they will ever hit that point since this has all the feel of an inexperienced team taking on more then they can handle. The game can not decide if it is a team based game tactical game or a quick paced twitch deathmatch.
    Of course team play wise it's not there. This game just screams team play build forts and fight in them but no, combat happens to quickly and the pace is far to fast to actually consider doing anything with your team members. But don't worry all the classes and weapons are horribly unbalanced, despite the fact that none of them could hurt a wounded kitten, I'll give them credit for that should be considered a feat to make some guns suck that much less to stick out from the bunch. They tacked on the classes without thinking about how they will play in relation with other classes. The rocketeer and miner end up negating any reason to build fortifications. And even if they didn't the combat occurs at a fast pace that you will feel lucky if you know what is going on. The biggest problem I have with this game other then the lackluster guns and the poor attempt at recreating TF2 in minecraft is the fact that they neglected the construction and have made no attempt to actually build that into the game play or build the classes around this game play mechanic, Ok I lied some classes can build unique prefabbed structures while others can't but that means little when I noticed another problem. After playing one hour I noticed I wasn't building anything so I tried, and the placement mechanics are awful and after 3 attempts, Read get shot while I slowly move my mouse around to put down a green wall to cower behind I noticed it's pointless to do so when the whole map is covered with an even density of both teams equally everywhere and half of everyone is strapped with a rocket pack that allows them to ignore things like my obstacle while the other half is equipped with a death drill that treats my obstacle like a tissue. Have I mentioned if you are playing something other then rocketeer or miner you are looking for a long painful not fun slog. Yep it's true, the developer decided to place iron sights into this game (There should be something like a swear jar for developers and every time the think "Iron sights" they get punched) The pace of the game makes using them obnoxious, it's like you can tell the developer realized "Hey this should be a tactical game that should be of a slower pacing then normal shooters and focusing on teamwork and planning" but then proceeded to huff paint for the next hour while pretending to code Quake. Well I can rant more but I am getting tired, the biggest fault of this game is it doesn't break any molds. I know it has the blocks and destructive terrain but it never uses them in a fun or interesting manner. It's just a really poorly put together FPS and if they decide to remove the block destruction/construction (not like they were using it for anything good) I will consider giving it a score of 1 instead of 0.
  20. Dec 16, 2012
    The original Ace of Spades was great. The weapons felt good, the gameplay was fun, and it felt like the community was a big part of the game. I would have given that game a 9 or 10. This game does not deserve to have the same name. It deserves nothing. The classes are terrible, the gamemodes are boring, the maps are lame, the servers are laggy, the weapons all suck, etc. DO NOT EVEN LET THE THOUGHT OF PURCHASING THIS ENTER YOUR MIND IF YOU EXPECT SOMETHING FUN. Screw you, Jagex. Screw you for ruining an amazing game. Expand
  21. Dec 22, 2012
    Ace of Spades was a good freeware game that "Even your grandma can run", but now good players can't because of Jagex turning it into a entire new game.
  22. Jan 2, 2013
    The original game was really good. Right now it's a Team Fortress 2 wanna be. Shame on the new game developers who ruined the essence of this great game.
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    TL;DR Take the original, heart-driven Ace of Spades, commercialize it, and market it to 12 year old CoD fans.

Thats all that really needs to be said. When the original AoS was released, it had a neat little spirit and charm to it that made you feel like you were playing Minecraft: Trench Warfare, it was a game you could grab a cup of coffee, sit down and play, relax, have fun, and get
    excited with. Playing this feels like Call of Minecraft: Halo Warfare, and on that note, the game has effectively been killed. Expand
  24. Dec 31, 2012
    Not what it's cracked up to be, except when it is.
    First off, there seem to be a lot of reviews giving negative scores because it is not as good as the original, but reviews should be about the games themselves, not in comparison to anything else.
    Ace of Spades claims to be a mix between Minecraft and Team Fortress 2, but in practice it doesn't quite live up to this. It feels like a
    weaker version of TF2 with an added little destruction mechanic. Although you can build your own fortresses, no one does because there is no encouragement to and you usually don't get the opportunity because the maps are so small. So it is, in reality, only in a Minecraft themed world, rather than in a world encouraging creativity. This isn't Minecraft.
    Nor is it TF2, because the classes aren't as interesting and the shooting mechanics are plain bad. It does make up for this by having a jetpack class, but you enter the game having no idea how to use it because there is no tutorial. For anything. With all of that being said, it is important to note that if you make it fun, it can be fun. I demonstrated this to myself after a while of playing it by creating a little base on top of a hill and sniping out of the window, and it was thoroughly enjoyable as a lunchbreak sort of game. I certainly couldn't play the game for long periods of time, whereas the opposite can be said for Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft.
    For a few pounds, it does give you its money's worth, but until there is more of an incentive to build and destroy, it remains a bad TF2 clone.
  25. Jan 8, 2013
    ''Say hello to the creative shooter. Ace of Spades is the first-person shooter that lets you create your battleground, destroy it, then create it again''
    It wasn't the first game that was made with minecraft blocks.... That was Brickwars. Plus the game sucks
  26. Jan 9, 2013
    Ace of spades? More like space of aids, this game is absolutely **** which isn't a big suprise from Jagex. After all, these guys aren't about quality games, at least, not anymore. It's all about money money money, so what do they do to achieve that? Combine the favorite 3 things of every 13 year old: minecraft, guns and team fortress. And there you have it, the worst game out there.

27. Feb 25, 2013
    This game is a major disappointment. I had played the game when it was in beta, and it was fun due to being simple and encouraging digging and building. Now, they made it a class warfare game, similar to TF2. The difference is that TF2 is fun and has 9 classes. Ace of Spades has 4, and they aren't better than the 3 different primary weapon choices from beta. You cannot build because everything explodes. Rocket launchers, landmines, TNT, and so much more. Also, when someone dies, they turn into a tombstone (Which, if they were trying to be funny, is a pathetic attempt at a joke), which also explodes and destroys a small amount of blocks, making even killing your enemies ruin your buildings and trenches. The sniper rifle's accuracy is so bad, a broken flintlock pistol shot at a target from a mile away is more accurate, and that is just sad. Please do not buy this, even if you did play the beta, because it will never live up to it's beta. Collapse
  28. Jan 4, 2013
    The game Ace of Spades was a promising game brought up by Ben Aksoy. It had strategy, creativity, and the promise of always being free! But then Jagex bought the game and proceeded to mess it up. The games now a Terraria/COD/Minecraft mashup. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the servers are incredibly laggy, and building is not as much as fun as it was before, mostly due to the ease of destroying them now, and the snipers don't do nearly enough damage. It's defiantly got it's problems now. But for 5 American dollars it was worth it. Despite these problems I still had fun, though it could have been better. And hey, maybe Jagex will work to fix some of these problems. Expand
  29. Jan 8, 2013
    Let's get this sorted out first: Jagex completely shifted the playstyle of the game. For better or worse is up to you. The original was a cover-based tactical shooter, with the main focus on building, flanking, and teamwork. All three, unfortunately are lost with the new game. The game has turned into Quake, with the ability to jump incredible heights and sprint up hills, both of which were not present in the Original. If you like this kind of game, great. Go ahead and buy it. It's very polished and the gameplay is smooth. (Excluding he gun play) For me however, I'll stick to the old tactical shooter. Expand
  30. Jan 28, 2013
    Simply put, there is nothing this game has to offer that is worth your time, with poor balance, annoying controls and gun play. The original version seems better according to other people, so there is no reason to spend the money
  31. Jan 12, 2013
    No! No! No! This game is bad, the accuracy is very bad, the duration of jetpack is very very low, the graphics are fun but not for a FPS , aiming down the sight make this game worse!!
  32. Jan 18, 2013
    I saw the potential of this game when I played it in alpha/beta. It was lightweight, and outright amazing. Once they brought it to Steam, everything went downhill. The use of a master server was probably the worst idea they could have thought of so far, because all the servers lag and game play is almost impossible because you are always missing your shots, or getting sniped. Remind you of something? Oh yeah, COD. When I was buying the game, I expected something great like the standalone but instead I got this crap. I hope you guys are reading the reviews here and decide to use the $10 that we all wasted on this game to make it better.
    -Dsf190
  33. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is a mess and a showcase of lazy game design, the maps are pretty much unplayable at the moment with many maps being a bore to traverse if you don't have a jet pack. Lag plagues servers and the general feel of shooting and engaging in combat is a very flat one which leaves little impression.
  34. Feb 13, 2013
    I'm sorry, but no. I'm going to hate this game for the rest of my days. Allow me to explain: For those of you that only heard of this game when it was released on Steam, and still think it's bad, you can only imagine how the fans of the original game feel. And I myself am a fan of the original game. The reason it attracted so many people in its early days was that it was simplistic. Very simplistic. The map was entirely featureless, with only a few green hills and a river. The weapon was a rifle. There was no mini-map. It was a game based entirely on skill. The building elements actually made a difference, with walls actually holding off the enemy, and tunnels actually allowing you to infiltrate their bases. Then I played this new version. Buildings are essentially useless now, with the inclusion of bazookas and TNT and other explosives. There's now four classes. There's new weapons that make the rifle effectively useless. It got turned from a fun little "Minecraft with Guns" into "Call of Duty with Minecraft elements" and that makes me sick. Expand
  35. Jan 10, 2013
    Another reminder to check Metacritic review before jumping on Steam's sale bandwagon. I bought the 4 pack because it looked like a change of pace for the fam. I couldn't even start gameplay because (even though it is an option), LAN is disabled. There is no server app either (I understand there used to be one for older revs). My son played on the public server, and he said it was just ok. But I have no interest in that, since I want my own private server via local LAN. So, this was another $15 flushed.

That said, I still think this game could be saved. The dev just has some real work to do...
  36. Mar 4, 2013
    >No way to run your own server >Servers run by Jagex are of terrible quality >Jagex developers promised no paid DLC, later releasing paid DLC >Runs like trash on high end machines >No way to kick griefers from servers, no votekick >According to devs the game is hackproof, this has since been disproven, complete with youtube videos showing aimbots successfully operating Avoid this game like the plague. It's made by a bunch of incompetent liars desperate for your money. Expand
  37. Feb 14, 2013
    Sad clone of the original free version with flaws like destroying the whole trench warfare part of the original and thus making the game nothing more than CoD with blocky graphics.
  38. Jan 26, 2013
    When I played the free version it worked and it was fun but the new class system ruins the whole game! The whole building idea is pointless due to the jet pack class just fly's over the whole map and the rocket class just blows it up faster than you can build. Do not buy this see if you can play the free version.
  39. Feb 6, 2013
    I'm sorry, but this game is HORRIBLE. It has a HORRENDOUS frame rate (and no, my computer does NOT suck), there are NO dedicated servers, NO mods, very few game modes, overpowered classes, TERRIBLE new design on the Commando class model, DISGUSTING animations, an unresponsive, uncaring, non-listening, bad choice-making publisher (i.e. Jagex), NO point in building (it can all be torn down or flied over easily,), horrendous servers, terrible lag, no servers for many countries (though Steam still allows people from those countries to buy the game), bad shooting, and all in all, it's just not fun. Jagex ruined this once F2P game, and wasted its potential. Thanks for reading my review, and have a great day. -Animefreak Expand
  40. Feb 11, 2013
    The original game was fresh, well designed, and fun. The reboot misses just about every point that made Ace of Spades fun. It could have been so much better.
  41. Jan 14, 2013
    The game can be fun but there hasn't been any major updates or such yet and doesn't compare to the original free version. The description for the new snow blowing grief weapon doesn't even have a valid description. This game is disappointing.
  42. Jan 29, 2013
    A good idea based of an old MC mod, to create a stand alone game based on MC but more fighting and of course guns. Trouble is, it has been poorly executed. The game lacks features such as single player for practice and is very unclear on how to create games with friends if there is a way. The game play itself is not fluid enough to enjoy, with absolutely no balancing. Most of all is the abundance of hackers. Updates need to happen soon as people paid for this and deserve better! Expand
  43. May 20, 2013
    Fun Game-play, Laggy as Hell, Cheap Tactics, Clunky (Really annoying and hard to climb), No country separation (playing with people in Europe who don't speak English), Crappy Community, Not a whole lot to choose from, No server browse, only quick match which sucked at matching.

~Don't Look at the Critic Reviews They're Pointless~
  44. Jan 30, 2013
    Game is barely playable. Tombstones that explode, jetpacks that go super fast which you can't hit, buggy hitboxes for snipers, lack of dedicated servers. I looked over at Steam Discussions for Ace of Spades and found Jagex dodges requests for dedicated servers Regret buying this game.
  45. Feb 3, 2013
    The idea of this game isn't particularly new or original but it seemed like it might be fun and yeah it can be to a degree. I first tried this from the authors website and saw that it came with the ability to host your own dedicated server.. HATING BFx and CoDx games I thought this might tide me over until something a little deeper came along.. so I bought this from Steam was going to buy several copies infact. BUT the Steam version has no option to run as a dedicated server! Major no-no! If they fix this aspect I'll take another look and probably buy some more copies. Expand
  46. Feb 9, 2013
    Steam had lead me to believe this would be Minecraft with the elements of a FPS. It accomplished neither. I was particularly disappointed with the building aspects of the game. I appreciate the makers concepts, however the execution was with out many merits. Bottom line: not particularly fun to play
  47. Feb 12, 2013
    this this game suck, if you want a real game play Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 or Black Ops 2, but this it's only bad graphics like the graphics of minecraft that game sucks and its full of bug and there are only servers on australia, that game, you readers and you jagex
  48. Feb 11, 2013
    My friend told me about this game like a month before it came out, and at first I was really excited about it.
    But after I bought the game, which is only about 5-6 dollars (because of the steam winter sale), I was very disappointing. It's just plain not fun. The only reason I'm not giving it a terrible score is because it's a pretty cheap game.
  49. May 13, 2013
    I have never played the Beta, so I can not comment on how much better it was. I can, however, talk about how the game is today. When I first got the game, it worked... somewhat. It was fun, actually. The concept was great, the maps were good, but it crashed. A lot. In fact, the game crashed every 15-20 minutes! For a 'fully released' game, that is absolutely unacceptable! After uninstalling it, and leaving it sitting in my Steam account for a while, I decided to give it another try. I mean, the devs should have had the time to fix the bugs, right? Wrong. In fact, it is even worse now! After two crashes, the game won't even start. Literally, it just stops, right before even the black start-up screen! But the thing that really puts Ace of Spades in the hole for good is that instead of working hard to fix the bugs, Jagex is releasing DLC... Jagex is turning into EA, but without the eventual great game. (And the money) Expand
  50. Jun 7, 2013
    You're always left wishing there was more to the game. Lack of weapons, no campaign or even a plot and a lack of character suggestion. The music is ok but gets annoying after a while. However the game does require strategy and skill so that's a plus. Dlc offers minimum addition to the game and costs $5. In summary, I wish I had my money back
  51. Mar 7, 2013
    I think this game could be better, the game isn´t well executed, but the idea is good. Try to work more to get the public. This game could be better
  52. Feb 22, 2013
    Ace of Spades had a lot of potential and had incredibly cool ideas yet it fell short on almost every single aspect of a good FPS. Not only that but the scenery is hard on the eyes and easily makes the game less enjoyable. Long story short, do not buy this game, you will be wasting 10$.
  53. Feb 27, 2013
    after playing the free to play beta, this is a huge disappointment. It was action packed shooter goodness, along with the building style of Minecraft, and they were both combined in perfect harmony. Now they did improve upon some aspects, but in doing that, they ruined some, and even took some away. One of my favorite things to do in the beta was to tunnel under the map, but replace it with the same color block as the ground so no one would know. now, you place the same colored block as the team you are on, and gives away you position pretty easily. The classes is also a dumb idea, and it was better with just the three weapons. The classic mode fixes not having the different classes, but still, it has a lot of potential, that the developers did not capitalize on, and it is a huge disappointment in my opinion. Expand
  54. Apr 28, 2013
    This was not worth my time downloading it on the free weekend( (And it was like two minutes, Max). The game was disappointing and this is coming from a person who thought that it was a good game. (Minecraft and Team Fortress 2)
  55. Jun 15, 2013
    This game might be fantastic with a little more work, but as it stands, there are major bugs. Players are able to not only bring down an entire server, but make every player on that server have a client crash. Thus far, nothing is being done to the players abusing this bug and it has not been patched, not even in the latest update. Jagex is not paying enough attention to this game's major problems.

It's not all bad, though. If your game server isn't taken down, you'll find a twitch shooter in a world made from blocks. The blocks can be placed either individually, in a line, or as an instant "pre-fab" structure. They can also be destroyed, and structures with no support underneath them will collapse.

The previous complaints that you cannot set up your own game are now only half right. You still cannot set up a game server yourself. You can, however, set up a game on one of Jagex's servers with powers similar to a server host. You can set up the game type, player limit, password, and special rules, so this is at least a step in the right direction. You can also set up a match to only allow your Steam friends.

Other reviews claiming a lack of CTF mode or rifle are also false. Both are present in the current game. It has been a while since the last patch, but complaints from last year may no longer be valid. Instead, there is a new set of cons that continue to mar the game. However, the list is becoming more technical than match-based, so hopefully Jagex will continue to update and improve this game.
  56. Mar 15, 2013
    this game had a free weekend on steam this week, so i decided to give it a try. after about an hour, I have to say, this game feels almost broken. combat is boring, the building does not work half the time, and most objectives revolve around camping in an area and killing anybody who enters.

Only fun thing to do in this game is cutting down trees with your sniper.
  57. Apr 27, 2013
    The original was a good game... then Jagex ruined it with their shoddy coding, poor decisions, and bad advertising. Avoid at all costs and sign up for the Guncraft beta.
  58. Mar 15, 2013
    I played this game during a 'free weekend' on Steam. Opened the game, hit 'quick match'. It immediately errors out and tells me I need to buy something. Some free weekend.
  59. Feb 16, 2013
    OK, before I gave it praise, but I need to take that back. THEY KILLED IT. It was good, no it is complete and total, in laymen's terms, The freaking paid DLC doesn't help either. And the new Classic Mode doesn't save the game either, because it is NOTHING LIKE CLASSIC! Jagex took a great game and blew it to pieces. Do not buy this game, no matter what. I thought it could still be saved, but no. The community sucks too. That's adding insult to injury. It sucks because this game had great potential, but not anymore. I don't care if it's 10 dollars, 5 dollars, or even 2 dollars. It's a waste of time and money. Expand
  60. Mar 2, 2013
    game very awful, I bought it in having played some hours I understood that it is impossible to play it, despite that that game occupies about 500 mb it TERRIBLY with LAGS
  61. May 20, 2013
    So I got into this game after having done a little of the old ace of spades. If you played the previous one and haven't seen the train wreck yet, I'd avoid it.

Jagex wants to turn this into a cash cow like call of duty. That was clear with all their DLC plans. They didn't give it a month before trying to spring the valentines day stuff on people. Segregating maps almost instantly for
    those who bought it and those who didn't.

Its a class based shooter thats trying to be fast paced, Its minecraft with explosions, its trying to be a modern fps styled title, It really wishes it was tf2 in minecraft. (seriously just play the minecraft maps if you want that kinda fun).

The problems with this game are the following: Destruction is too easy, you can build but why bother when a single rocket can destroy an entire structure if fired right. Matches become almost instantly leveled and leave some classes at a supreme advantage: snipers, rocketeers.
    Snipers have been nerfed, this is largely due to the fact that spawns are locked, if your team is losing and getting spawn camped, you have no method of avoiding damage.
    Regarding the sniper issues, maps are asymmetrical most of the time. Meaning that one side will usually have a distinct advantage over the other.

Gone are the stealthy digging and listening for a tunnel in the first one, classic mode is a joke. Its barely even the classic mode from the original. Some may disagree, but prebuilt maps with interesting geometry kinda defeats the entire point of the build and shoot aspect.

Finally, Their servers are complete and total trash. East coast servers on east coast even with good ping is like 100+ms, anyone outside of that is going to get several hundred more. No private server hosting either, they have plans for players to pay a small moderate fee however, so you may be able to rent custom server space in this turd of a game.

1/10 Jagex once again smothers a game with desperate attempts to leech money in non subtle ways.
  62. Apr 2, 2013
    I hate every aspect of this game now, I use to love the original one with all of my heart, but this was just "What the situation, how do you go from simple rifles and smgs with trench warfare and such, to flying soldiers, snipers, bazookas....it is unbelievable.
    I did form this opinion before I actually played the new version, but then Steam lent it to us for free for a weekend so I
    decided to justify my reasoning for anger. The game was just as bad as I made it out to be.
    I have also heard that Jagex is working to get the sites where you can play the original version removed, if that is true; to hell with them. Just let us have our good game, and you can keep your little...play thing.
  63. May 14, 2013
    my friend got this is fore pack gave one to me I loved it now ITS TERI-BLE IF YOU DO-NT FIX THIS ME AND MY FRIEND WANTS A REF-UN HE GOT THIS FORE PACK OFF SALE SO IT COST MORE FIX OR PAY 30 DOL-ERS OH AND PLUS NO-CH THIS IS ALL ON YOU YOUR FAULT ANO-THERE -100,000,000,000 WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR POINTS
  64. Jul 11, 2013
    Well, the game sucks for a couple of reasons. Also, please remember I have NEVER played the beta but very much wish to do so.

1: Building Why should you build? There is no reason to do so if there's enough cover in the map already. I love the idea of being able to break stuff and dig, and possible build a little, but the building aspect is no fun. After building something you wana
    fell accomplished, and happy. The game doesn't really make that happen. Even when you build something nice it will most likely get blown up soon. If they implemented a game mode where you would have like 2-5 minutes to build and what you build couldn't get blown up instantly, that would be great! But no such thing exist.

2: The Classes There are 4 classes, Marksman, Miner, Rocketeer, and Commando. Each class kinds of does something different. Marksman is supposed to be support and help clear out enemies. It is way to effective. There is almost no reason to not just be Marksman, kill people from far away, and advance. It can kill ANYTHING with the bid maps that are usually outside. And the other classes can't deal damage from that far away. Next class, the Miner. He's supposed to build and dig tunnels and stuff. But why would you do that!?! Like I said before, building or digging isn't a very good idea and most likely thing to happen if you build or dig is someone comes and blows it all up. What could be able to do that you might ask? EVERY OTHER CLASS! The Miner should be specialized in building and digging and also destroying other enemie Miners stuff. Other classes shouldn't be able to easily come in and and shoot down what you build or destroy it with a grenade. Next class, Rocketeer. Rocketeer used to be quite OP with the old jet pack it had. Jagex saw this and looked for a solution. They should have nerfed it instead of removing it. Now all there is is a bad jet pack that makes you go up for 2-5 seconds. Yeah, that thing is useless. Next class, Commando. I think this is one of the best, most balanced class that does what its supposed to do. Kill everything in close range combat. Except other classes(Marksman) can easily kill you for this. Marksman can kill you from afar, witch makes sense, but can also easily kill you with its pistol. Yeah, that makes sense.

Well, I advise you don't buy it as the time of this post. The game has had some changes towards getting better, but still lacks in lost of things. It says that it you will be able to "Unleash your imagination in an ever evolving battlefield." The only thing it offers is bad, unbalanced combat, with OP classes and bad hit boxes. Its also not a surprise very few people seem to play it now.
  65. Jul 17, 2013
    When I first bought this game it was a very fast paced game. There was rocketeers, you could run in the water, you could build very easily. It was a wonderful game. I played it everyday and was excited to play it.

Over the patches that have occurred the game has gotten progressively SLOWER PACED and WORSE with each patch.

Some were actual game play patches that fixed certain classes
    from being enjoyable and I was ok with that, but once they completely removed the rocketeer class and changed reload times, how blocks are placed.

Now the game is nothing more than a very slow placed FPS with no interesting aspects to it. There are tons of game mechanic flaws in the game that if you use your break a little bit you realize the loopholes in the game mechanics. If you are an engineer now on demolition mode you can place blocks to keep your building up kill yourself, respawn and keep placing more blocks. It is nearly impossible for the other team to tear down your building.

Jagex loves to put this game on sale which reinvigorates the gaming community, but it doesn't last for long. Soon there after everyone that bought it on sale will realize the flaws and leave the game.

TL;DR: This game used to be a lot of fun. Patches ruined the game mechanics, hardly anyone plays this game anymore. DO NOT BUY.
  66. Jul 18, 2013
    This game is pretty much the worst FPS game I played. The game lags a lot even on low settings, the game has no level editor, like seriously this game has blocks in it so why not have a level editor? The Jet packs are useless because you still take fall damage while landing and it makes you have low accuracy, when your sights are aimed down you still have the reticule on so it makes iron sights worthless, they made a ripped-off version of Call of Duty's point system when you kill someone, the Double-Barreled Shotgun was too overpowered and what the heck is with having a Miner class in the game? Miner is not used for fighting! I un-installed my game after this, I was disappointed at the developers for making a game that was not decent. Expand
  67. Nov 30, 2013
    What do you get when you mix Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft? This, and quite frankly, mixing those two games absolutely does not work. It seems like a cool idea, right? Being able to build stuff when you have a fast action war going on? That isn't what this game is. This game is just a whole ton of snipers running around getting easy headshots on you, just because of how big your head is.

Sadly, the extremely over-powered Marksman class isn't my biggest complaint with this game. The spawns are. You spawn in the same place every single time, regardless of if enemies are right in your spawn. I'm always dying as soon as I spawn, making it nearly impossible to even play.

I don't reccomend this game at all, it's broken, and you will regret your purchase within half an hour or so.
  68. Mar 15, 2013
    The problem isn't that this game resembles mine craft. The problem is the game is a very poorly executed idea. The maps are very big and the characters are very small and fast. And everyone can instantly build giant piles of stuff anywhere on the map.
    If the gameplay wasn't bad enough, waiting for a server list usually not take forever, sometimes it hangs forever with no rhyme or
    reason. Also, attempting to play a gamemode called zombies really sucked because there were no zombies. The game no only let us play with no zombies, nobody could team switch to zombies.
    At its best this game is a semi-functioning terrible gameplay turd.
  69. Jun 11, 2013
    I didn't know how I felt about this game when I saw it on Steam. Initially I thought that the whole "TF2 and Minecraft mixed together" concept was interesting but probably would make a good combination, but after a while, I bought the game when it was on sale. I can safely say that I wasted my money. The classes suck, the game modes have been done before and done better in other games the maps are way too big and half the time I'm just looking for someone to shoot, the "Minecraft" concept is extremely lacking, and the game is just terrible overall. If done well, this could've been an interesting shooter, but you're better off jut keeping TF2 and Minecraft separate. Expand
  70. Mar 15, 2013
    There is just nothing about this game that is particularly fun (besides being a marksman and playing around with him). Classes are unbalanced, and the game, while it being a cool idea, is terribly flawed.
  71. Jul 26, 2013
    This game has potential but since the last Updates it became worse. I want the game back that i played 143 h. The graphic and especially the colors look ugly now. The system of the servers is bad (depends on the point of view). Some classes now have not their old gear and/or have a lower shooting-rate.

Pls make the game this what it was once.
    Excuse my english.
  72. Mar 25, 2013
    The only reason I was interested in buying the new version was because of the nostalgia I felt for the fantastic free version which Ben Aksoy developed by his self. It was a simple, fun little time waster which you could play on practically any computer, with a fantastic creative community.

This game however has taught me that I should always check a game's Metascore before I go ahead
    and waste £8.99.
    The new version is like a bad ripoff of TF2; they try to give personality to the different classes but I quite frankly didn't give a crap about them. I find it ironic that a game which originally had so much creativity now has the most unoriginal gameplay and game modes. The original only had one game mode, which was capture the flag, and there was a lot of potential for Jagex to come up with new ones to compliment the building and creative aspects of the game. In reality, what they give us are Deathmatches and CTFs with no original content and a completely dull zombie mode with terrible AI which basically makes it Call of Duty and Minecraft's ugly lovechild.

What was creative and fun about the original is now ruined. Building, which was the main aspect of the game, is now completely pointless because of the miner class being able to completely obliterate any blocks in a couple of seconds. Weapons are stupidly inaccurate, making it nigh on impossible to feel like you are getting a good clean shot at all and I had some terrible lag issues, with players jerking around all over the place and the weapons being even more inaccurate then they already are.

I find it insanely depressing how Jagex, a company with a huge dedicated team, could make a worse game than one guy who programmed the original by himself. What's worse is, this horrible FPS actually has a large amount of fans all over the world who defend the game to the very end. Jagex have completely taken a dump on a game I knew and loved a year ago. The only reason I'm not giving it a 0 is because the game features one good feature from the original, the graphics, and enhances it giving a nice visual feel to the game, but that is literally all I liked about it. Seriously, I urge you not to waste money on this piece of trash.
  73. Mar 2, 2013
    Ill start by saying i was a big fan of Ace of spades before jagex bought it, and had high hopes for the jagex version.

unfortunately they took a perfectly good engine and tossed it thinking they could do better, well they didnt.
    poorly optimized even a month since the first paid DLC runs poorly on most computers where the original engine ran smoothly of pretty much anything. the class
    types are gimmicky and poorly executed, and their classic mode is nothing like classic ace.

jagex took a great game that needed little work to improve especially since the latest version was just about to launch with more features, but now not going to see the light of day, jagex scrapped the great engine and gameplay that came with it, bullied the loyal community and ingored any and all feedback.

the jagex release lack much of what made the original great, the original had a smooth and effective building system, jagex version feels slapped together quickly so it can be called ace of spades, the original had balanced weapon types and a good WWII feel over a large map with crazy long play sessions, jagex has a generic class based system with no polish or balance on tiny maps and short game time. i recommend that anyone who is interested in playing ace of spades to stay well clear of the jagex release and save their money, and head over to buildandshoot dot com and play the original release in all its glory.
  74. Mar 2, 2013
    I saw this game on a steam sale and saw some videos on it. It seemed legit and I bought it. Big mistake. The game itself seems decent, but it was unplayable on my computer for some reason, poorly optimized. I can run minecraft just fine, which has just about the same graphics as this game, if not better.
  75. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a HUGE FAN of the old game from years ago was plenty better than the new one, first because you can actually BUILD without over-powered retarded fat kids taking a huge effing on you, Second ,because people are given THE WORST CLASSES so people fell like they are "MLg ProaT CouNterStAikeE GOIYs I OWWn U nEwbs OMG KilsSTreaK 3 "seriously the miner class just blows everything to with TNT and automatic drills whereas in the last game all you had was a SHOVEL AND A GUN Thats all you effing need! Even the graphic were better! PLUS they have gotten rid of the old game so no one can play it! Waste of money and time! Disappointed me beyond belief. Expand
  76. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. arreter de nous pondre des jeux horrible graphiquement ce truc tout carré est un insulte au 21 eme siecle je me croi revenu en 1980 sur une vielle machine de salon...c'est pas old school c'est juste moche et avoir un pc a 4000 euros pour ça?vous vous rendez compte le recul... Expand
  77. Mar 20, 2013
    I dont know why you would buy this when you could buy guncraft which right now is free and is only five dollars more and guncraft has better graphics and you can import minecraft worlds
  78. Jun 7, 2013
    Fun game if you play with friends but has very little gameplay and game modes all having just one I like. Besides the facilities are severely unbalanced, and is very easy to do or make you "Spown troping".
  79. May 27, 2013
    What this game was before it's release on Steam I can't comment on but I'm sure it was awesome to say the least.
    I started playing this game from when it was first released on Steam, a month later the game became a shell of its former self. Constant changes by the developer with what can only be assumed to be a complete disregard for their customer base.
    Every now and then I would launch
    the game hoping that the game's problems have been fixed but these days I'll be lucky to even find an open server (which are all developer hosted and controlled).

This review marks the end of any hope I have for this game. When it first came out (pre Jagex game updates) I couldn't stop playing the game.

36+ game play hours I think it's time to uninstall this title from my collection and forget it ever existed.

RIP Ace of Spades
  80. Jul 14, 2013
    I Don't dislike this game simply because it was costly, I dislike it for its just not near as fun as the old game. Some of the new weapons and jet packs make it seem more like a pay to win MMO that you already payed for. I honestly dislike most of the new content and found the old simpler version to be much more enjoyable. Not only is the new content punishing new players (Those who decided to wait until its on sale) But it just makes unfair balances and makes the game not very fun to start, which is very bad for a game. Somehow they even managed to ruin zombie mode! I just found a website hosting servers for the old game and play those and this is left deep in the depths of my steam list. Overall, its not a fun game and not worth $4.99 Expand
  81. Jul 20, 2013
    The developers need to think their own idea not to steal other games concept.

Seeing this game was f2p is a better idea than adding a price for it because game is not really complete.The company bought the original ace of spades the turn it into a tf2 and worms rip off.
  82. Aug 10, 2013
    This used to be a fun game. The alpha was very fun, albeit a bit flawed but I still played it for over 30 hours. Then the first parch came. For one they added a laser sight to the sniper rifle. Now the sniper rifle was OP but now whenever you scoped in EVERYBODY could see where you were. They added new skins which looked horrible and made the game iffy. The St. Valentines massacre DLC was horrible. It added some actually pretty cool maps that if other game modes were allowed on them they would have been fun. The game modes it added nobody played and it cost 4.99. That was the beginning of the end. The next patch ruined the game completely. For one they removed the rocketeer class and added the "engineer" class which was incredibly weak and jet pack took several minutes to recharge. The maps were already laggy but then you couldn't actually choose which server you'd be on so most of the time you would be matched to an empty server. Completely horrible. A few months ago I'd say go ahead and buy it and play the fudge out of it but now stay far, far away from it. All it will bring you is tears. It makes me sad to see such a good game ruined. Expand
  83. Aug 12, 2013
    Ive played this game a few times, but what is putting me off playing is the vast number of bugs & glitches, the number of aimbot users in the community and the recent(ish) updates which came out. Sounds like a great game and is fun for a bit, but really not a great long term investment imo
  84. Oct 10, 2013
    Jagex bought the game worked on it aaaaand it's now!
    I absolutely don't recommend anyone one to buy this piece of ****.
    The original one (before Jagex ruined it) is free and can be found on buildandshoot(dot)com.
  85. Oct 14, 2013
    This game at first was really fun. You had a TON of class variety and fun maps. It was really fun and at first was worth my money and I had a lot of fun with it.

But picking the game back up again I'm amazed on how much it has changed in just a few updates. They completely destroyed the engineer class by getting rid of his jet pack which allowed him to glide across the map, it was the
    best counter for sniper classes. I think the reason why they nerfed him was because of the ability to spawn camp really easily but all you needed to do was maybe not be able to go into enemy spawning points...or not being able to place turrets where enemy spawns.

This game has turned into a complete sniper game. You can't go into a server anymore without there being 5 or more people being a sniper, just because that class is now most over-powered. Miners make it easier to spawn camp also getting to enemy spawning points really easily and using the shot gun to one shot most classes. I try not to stay one class the entire game but I'm finding myself playing a heavy class or a sniper class just to get the enemy's from killing me the first few seconds of me spawning.

This game had a huge potential to be a great Minecraft like game just with guns, but they completely ruined it with just a few updates.

Jagex is turning into a complete JOKE of a game company and are now becoming known for ruining game likes Runescape and now Ace of Spades. After their recent update they released an entire DLC for free.. they completely ripped off the people who bought the DLC and acting like the DLC was some kind of contribution is what pisses people off the most, I wouldn't dare to buy a DLC from Jagex ever because of what they did.

I wouldn't recommend this game to ANYONE really. The only reason WHY it should even be bought is when it's on a big sale or something. Otherwise please don't play this game or else you will feel like you just got ripped off.
  86. Oct 26, 2013
    So apparently I can no longer find the beta, AKA the classic, as jagex have taken it down. They up a completely good game and replaced it with gameplay. I bought this because I loved the original, and regret spending a penny on this game. 1/10 would in no way recommend.
  87. Nov 5, 2013
    At first I was very impressed with this game. It was Minecraft Call of Duty. I would say the first few weeks were fun times in this game, but once Jagex continued to update the game until it was flawed and over/under balanced, I found it repulsive
  88. Jan 26, 2014
    A quick review about how this game evolved since late 2012, when Jagex Games Studios took over the development of the game. This is not an objective review, but I will try to give as many details as possible.

Whelp, this used to be a great game.
    I used to play that game during its beta and bought it on Steam. It used to be a really dynamic game with decent game modes, a decent balance
    and interesting features that allowed players to have a good time, until the developers strayed away from the original game. Now it is just a slow-paced, worthless mash up of Team Fortress 1 & Minecraft beta, except those were actually fun to play.
    The basics of the game: in most game-modes, there are 4 classes:
    •The Commando, who carries a rocket launcher or a minigun, the balanced guy
    •The Sniper
    •The Rocketeer/Engineer, who can use a jetpack and carries a SMG-like gun
    •The Miner, who carries a shotgun and works on modifying the environment to benefit his team

Here is a quick list of examples explaining how the gameplay changed for the worst over the past 8 months.
    •Dynamism is gone. The Rocketeer used to be able to fly across the map and actually do stuff. Now his job is to use a "jetpack", once every minute give or take, fly up for 2 seconds and wait for snipers to gun him down.

•Digging tunnels or just using your ability to change the environment is not worth it anymore. For one, snipers have been given a retarded beam that gives away their position when they aim down the sights, making sneaking around just useless. Some would say it's to avoid camping, but there are other solutions that don't imply making one of the 4 usual classes useless, unless they go for close combat.

•The specific game modes that do not involve the 4 classes depicted a few lines ago have not evolved a bit and the Zombie one suffered from the nerfs on classes so much it isn't even nearly half as interesting as is used to be.

•The community keeps being ignored and slowly decays (hence a series of awful changes to the game). Today, January 26th 2014, across the United States, Europe and Australia, less than 30% of servers overall had any players playing. It took Jagex a single year to destroy a community of 2 million players?

To sum up, Ace of Spades is now a shadow of what it used to be, and a half-assed map editor will not save this game from its terrible evolution
  89. Feb 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is absolutely hands down the worst game to play if you use your real name and address. These putzes have the worst database and protection programs to keep our information from hackers it's not funny. I tried so many times to get old accounts back from RS2 only to find out that Jagex, everyone’s favorite company, decided it would be ok to hand out my vital information to fake people claiming to be me. Cheers to Jagex for their lack of common sense. Suggestion since you don't have a box for these yet. Why don't you try getting a more "secure server" for your game so that accounts can't be easily stolen? Just because you have some fancy proofs for accounts and a useless remember my computer option... That doesn't mean a thing my friend. If you want your "Customers" to trust you more, Then try first by making a safer system! Expand
  90. Feb 4, 2014
    I had been playing runescape since mid 1999-2000 up to 2013 and ever since I have played this game... Jagex somehow manages to get my **** account hacked no matter how difficult or protected the account is, these bastards do no know how to keep your credentials safe even if they paid people to say falsified Bull **** about their **** ass game, people would still hate the holy living **** out of it. This game is so bad I don't think any other game can compare to the severity of how much this one sucks dick. The company as a whole is a steaming pile of **** and so are it's games and customer support. The customer support team is absolutely the most dumbest of idiots this world has to offer. If they actually gave a **** they'd actually have real things to say when they talk to you rather than reading from a **** script... Oh my **** jesus, I have never hated a company more than this **** stained entropy of a lame excuse for it's existence on planet earth. Make sure if you make an account not to pay for **** Once you see how absolutely stupid these **** sticks are, you'll tell them to eat **** and you'll go play better games!!!! I have been wanting to do this since I was wee young. I want you all to know that I hope my point is made **** clear against these rat bastards. Go to hell Jagex! P.S. Jagex, I got an idea! Why don't you go outside and play hide and go **** yourself? Expand
  91. Feb 24, 2014
    God dang horrible, dont buy it. ITS NOT WORTH IT MAN. Heres my review on steam: "Jagex wants more more more money! Last time i remember it, it was at 10 dollars. Nope, not no more. Sigh, guess i have to put my long list of crap about this game. Well heres a long run on sentence of why i hate it. Griefers, Hackers, Prefab Spam, Op snipers and the big hitbox, Miner is op with his huge drill cannon and big spade range, recently they turned rocketeer into an ugly engineer. Now lets talk about the terrible flawed votekick system. 1. Votekick usually wont work on loaded servers, it takes a decent few yes votes to kick a REAL griefer/hacker. 2. Few no votes and the votekick wont work. 3. Have a griefer on your team? Just leave, the base will be wrecked and the griefer will succeed in his dirty work. Why do they not have a metascore? Probably because it has terrible critic reviews and the score is 49. Don't buy DLC from this horrid game, ever, jagex sold a dlc and later made it free, ripping off anyone who bought it. Despite the complaints about that, jagex was happy, they got your money, they are happy. Don't waste your time on it, its not worth it. (Unless you love griefing, in that case get it just for the fun of that :)" Expand
  92. Feb 25, 2013

1. Mar 15, 2013
    There might be some good ideas in there somewhere but Ace of Spades has no game in it. In the Minecraft it was the beauty of it, but concept doesn't work if you will try to make a FPS. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    On paper it sounds like it could be a winning combination, and perhaps this will improve as the game evolves, but in practice the play styles don't mesh well together, seemingly diametrically opposed at times.
  3. Feb 18, 2013