Ace of Spades PC

5.2

1. Dec 14, 2012
    I bought the game immediately, since it looked so fun and intriguing and i loved the concept. Well, what can i say: I am a bit disappointed there. I thought i get to design whole maps to tear them down. I thought i could host my own game. But NO, said STEAM (or JagEx, the company behind the game). From what i read so far, the game was bought by them from a single programmer and thenI bought the game immediately, since it looked so fun and intriguing and i loved the concept. Well, what can i say: I am a bit disappointed there. I thought i get to design whole maps to tear them down. I thought i could host my own game. But NO, said STEAM (or JagEx, the company behind the game). From what i read so far, the game was bought by them from a single programmer and then totally altered in a unpleasant way? Anyhow, here go my big let-down facts:

A) NO Editor whatsoever. There is said to be an editor to do that called VOXEL, but that thing is post-alpha pre-beta status, a pain in the ass to use and it is not delivered with the game. SO, YOU CAN NOT DESIGN OWN MAPS.

B) ah yes, the maps. THERE ARE ONLY 4-5 MAPS. for ALL the gaming modes. tedious as hell.

C) THE GAMING MODES: THERE IS LIKE 4 OF THEM. and Demolition is about the most fun. and that's it. D) YOU CAN NOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME. no possibility ingame to get a server running. i heard there is a tool delivered with the game to do that, but it is not to be found in the steam download and from what i read - a pain in the ass, just like the editor.

E) SERVERS ARE **** pings are enormous, you get timeout warnings all the time, lagging, what have you. F) building is totally not half as important as it is mentioned in the ad text. you CAN add own blocks to repair your base and such, but that is boring. Conclusion: i would love to give that game at least a 5 out of 10, since it is new on steam, can be patched easily and i hope that jagex will improve the game. but my gaming experience tells me: this game was released half finished of what it COULD have been to get the company a quick buck, and it will never see any more improvement. it's still not a total **** thanks to the demolition mode, it's fine for a quick round now and then, but yeah......as i said. i doubt it will see many patches and/or important and needed improvements as "setting up your own server" and "designing your own maps easily".
  2. Dec 15, 2012
    Now, when I buy a game I expect it to live up to its monies worth. For $10, this game did not even live up to that. There are no Australian servers. For three days now I have been browsing the servers just waiting for a server that has under 100 ping to no avail. It is literally impossible to shoot anybody because of the ping and lag issues. Where are the different game modes? Why haveNow, when I buy a game I expect it to live up to its monies worth. For $10, this game did not even live up to that. There are no Australian servers. For three days now I have been browsing the servers just waiting for a server that has under 100 ping to no avail. It is literally impossible to shoot anybody because of the ping and lag issues. Where are the different game modes? Why have they changed the entire concept of Ace of Spades from a WW1 environment to some magical fantasy land? Unlike the beta, there is virtually no point in building your own fortresses/trenches etc because there is no room to do so nor is there any point. There is no team work whatsoever and everyone is an individual fighting for themselves. Overall, a poor result of a game that had so much potential to be great. Do not spend $10 on this game, It's honestly not even worth $5. Expand
  3. Dec 15, 2012
    Wow, to break a game this bad takes some amount of talent. I hadn't even played the beta version before this one, so I wasn't coming into this biased. I bought this on impulse on release and was immediately disappointed. Buggy, laggy, unbalanced, and just not fun. I couldn't understand why people were raving about this.. then I checked out the beta. It needed some polish, but thereWow, to break a game this bad takes some amount of talent. I hadn't even played the beta version before this one, so I wasn't coming into this biased. I bought this on impulse on release and was immediately disappointed. Buggy, laggy, unbalanced, and just not fun. I couldn't understand why people were raving about this.. then I checked out the beta. It needed some polish, but there is an addictive quality to it. I can understand why people got hooked. The pacing in the beta version is just right. How the new developers could play that, and come up with this pile is baffling to me.

Even if you chalk up the bugs to first release issues, this game is horrible. Stay away. I wouldn't download this again even if it was free. One of the few times I wish Steam had a refund button.
  4. Dec 26, 2012
    Once again, Jagex manages to **** things up. This time, it's a rip-off of another great game! Jagex CLAIMS to have been working on the game with the original creators for a year. NO, they jumped in on the project in November 2012 so that they would try healing the harmed souls from The Evolution of Combat.

You'd really expect Jagex to fix all the things they've done to Runescape and

You'd really expect Jagex to fix all the things they've done to Runescape and complete the new sci-fi MMORPG called Stellar Dawn that they were working on for years. NO, they spent the money on making this **** game right after CANCELING Stellar Dawn because they had to use their RESOURCES to work on RuneScape instead!

Really, I have seen several awful game companies, and I really thought The War Z had the worst game company I had ever seen. However, when I think back on it, Jagex has had the worst customer support of any game I have ever played! Never EVER have i received a message from a Jagex Moderator that was not computer generated. Why would you want to send them a support message though? Because they don't have any phone number you can contact them on if something happens to your game account.

Now the real question is, do they support the customers?

*drumroll*

No, they leave a first impression that slaps you in the face and burns into your brain.

Remember, stay away from Ace of Spades, stay away from RuneScape and STAY AWAY FROM JAGEX!
  5. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is awful. It promises "Construction. Combat. Creativity." but delivers only combat, and does so very poorly. It's been three days since release and their servers still can't handle the game, making it essentially unplayable on full servers, but even if it was working the gameplay mechanics discourage building in every way possible:

People can jetpack over huge patches of the

People can jetpack over huge patches of the map quickly and weapons do little damage per shot, meaning people will never feel the need to build cover. This combined with small maps leads to COD style run in and shoot gameplay. You can often see the enemy spawn area from where you spawn in and fire on enemies within seconds. It's a waste of a great concept and most definitely a waste of money. Avoid at all costs.
  6. Dec 14, 2012
    The beta of the game was very fun. I played it for nearly a year. But the current version.... it loses most of its charm.

It used to be a slower paced tactical shooter, which required strategy and team work to win. Now it focuses on the individual instead of the team, discourages building/destruction and overall makes it just your average run and gun shooter. Now don't get me wrong, I like a lot of games like that. But it doesn't really fit in with the blocky theme.

Altogether it looks like they were drunk when they made it, all these crazy features that are pretty much useless.

Also there are several problems with the game engine itself. I have a decent computer. Alienware x51 and the game runs at 20 FPS. I could run the beta of the game at a solid 60.
  7. Dec 24, 2012
    I saw this game advertised on Steam and through it'd be a great digital stocking stuffer for myself and my younger brother. It's a fun game to play but it has a fatal flaw; YOU CANNOT HOST YOUR OWN GAME! The developers instead have opted to host every server themselves.

For a game like this where there could be hours of fun on private servers; building elaborate bases before annihilating each other, the absence of this feature leaves this game feeling extremely lacking.

I've given this game a three as I feel it's really only a third of the game that it easily could have been.
  8. Dec 23, 2012
    This is a good game... the only problem is that it isn't "Ace of Spades". I, too, snapped this game up way too hastily, thinking I was buying the same copy of the game that I so lovingly played not a few months ago. What Jagex have done to the original game is absolutely horrible and they have turned AoS into a much more commercial "Team Fortress 2" style game. The very heart and soul ofThis is a good game... the only problem is that it isn't "Ace of Spades". I, too, snapped this game up way too hastily, thinking I was buying the same copy of the game that I so lovingly played not a few months ago. What Jagex have done to the original game is absolutely horrible and they have turned AoS into a much more commercial "Team Fortress 2" style game. The very heart and soul of the original has been stripped, and I seriously recommend that those who still want to play Ace of Spades, play the beta version, which is being kept alive on a website called "build and shoot".
    I'm giving this game 1 star for being fun to play, but it loses 9 because of how much Jagex stripped it of everything that made the game lovable.
  9. Dec 13, 2012
    Even if you ignore the fact that Ace of Spades is no longer free, it's still vastly inferior now than it was before. Before, the worst thing you had to deal with was a shotgun and everyone would build massive tunnels and bases, and it was awesome. Now, what's the point? Someone will just come in with a jetpack and blow you up, or someone will just blow you up anyway, because every ****Even if you ignore the fact that Ace of Spades is no longer free, it's still vastly inferior now than it was before. Before, the worst thing you had to deal with was a shotgun and everyone would build massive tunnels and bases, and it was awesome. Now, what's the point? Someone will just come in with a jetpack and blow you up, or someone will just blow you up anyway, because every **** class has enormous explosives, which basically ruins the point of even building anything anymore. It's like they wanted to drive everyone away that wasn't ten years old. Completely ruined. Expand
  10. Dec 14, 2012
    This game is nothing compare to "original" version. Smaller, tighter maps, faster gameplay, No CTF mode, no Rifle, crap optimization, crap server browser. This game is a huge disappointment.
  11. Dec 13, 2012
    This game does not even work properly , i wish i could give it a chance and try to enjoy it but their servers seems to have big issues , i keep lagging , rubberbanding , stuttering and getting connection warnings I have a fast connection with a high end gaming system , i play online games on a regular basis so the issue is not on my end i just have to accept the fact that i lost 10$
  12. Apr 28, 2013
    This was not worth my time downloading it on the free weekend( (And it was like two minutes, Max). The game was disappointing and this is coming from a person who thought that it was a good game. (Minecraft and Team Fortress 2)
  13. May 20, 2013
    So I got into this game after having done a little of the old ace of spades. If you played the previous one and haven't seen the train wreck yet, I'd avoid it.

Jagex wants to turn this into a cash cow like call of duty. That was clear with all their DLC plans. They didn't give it a month before trying to spring the valentines day stuff on people. Segregating maps almost instantly for those who bought it and those who didn't.

Its a class based shooter thats trying to be fast paced, Its minecraft with explosions, its trying to be a modern fps styled title, It really wishes it was tf2 in minecraft. (seriously just play the minecraft maps if you want that kinda fun).

The problems with this game are the following: Destruction is too easy, you can build but why bother when a single rocket can destroy an entire structure if fired right. Matches become almost instantly leveled and leave some classes at a supreme advantage: snipers, rocketeers.
    Snipers have been nerfed, this is largely due to the fact that spawns are locked, if your team is losing and getting spawn camped, you have no method of avoiding damage.
    Regarding the sniper issues, maps are asymmetrical most of the time. Meaning that one side will usually have a distinct advantage over the other.

Gone are the stealthy digging and listening for a tunnel in the first one, classic mode is a joke. Its barely even the classic mode from the original. Some may disagree, but prebuilt maps with interesting geometry kinda defeats the entire point of the build and shoot aspect.

Finally, Their servers are complete and total trash. East coast servers on east coast even with good ping is like 100+ms, anyone outside of that is going to get several hundred more. No private server hosting either, they have plans for players to pay a small moderate fee however, so you may be able to rent custom server space in this turd of a game.

1/10 Jagex once again smothers a game with desperate attempts to leech money in non subtle ways.
  14. Apr 2, 2013
    I hate every aspect of this game now, I use to love the original one with all of my heart, but this was just "What the situation, how do you go from simple rifles and smgs with trench warfare and such, to flying soldiers, snipers, bazookas....it is unbelievable.
    I did form this opinion before I actually played the new version, but then Steam lent it to us for free for a weekend so I decided to justify my reasoning for anger. The game was just as bad as I made it out to be.
    I have also heard that Jagex is working to get the sites where you can play the original version removed, if that is true; to hell with them. Just let us have our good game, and you can keep your little...play thing.
  15. May 14, 2013
    my friend got this is fore pack gave one to me I loved it now ITS TERI-BLE IF YOU DO-NT FIX THIS ME AND MY FRIEND WANTS A REF-UN HE GOT THIS FORE PACK OFF SALE SO IT COST MORE FIX OR PAY 30 DOL-ERS OH AND PLUS NO-CH THIS IS ALL ON YOU YOUR FAULT ANO-THERE -100,000,000,000 WILL BE TAKEN FROM YOUR POINTS
  16. Jul 11, 2013
    Well, the game sucks for a couple of reasons. Also, please remember I have NEVER played the beta but very much wish to do so.

1: Building Why should you build? There is no reason to do so if there's enough cover in the map already. I love the idea of being able to break stuff and dig, and possible build a little, but the building aspect is no fun. After building something you wana fell accomplished, and happy. The game doesn't really make that happen. Even when you build something nice it will most likely get blown up soon. If they implemented a game mode where you would have like 2-5 minutes to build and what you build couldn't get blown up instantly, that would be great! But no such thing exist.

2: The Classes There are 4 classes, Marksman, Miner, Rocketeer, and Commando. Each class kinds of does something different. Marksman is supposed to be support and help clear out enemies. It is way to effective. There is almost no reason to not just be Marksman, kill people from far away, and advance. It can kill ANYTHING with the bid maps that are usually outside. And the other classes can't deal damage from that far away. Next class, the Miner. He's supposed to build and dig tunnels and stuff. But why would you do that!?! Like I said before, building or digging isn't a very good idea and most likely thing to happen if you build or dig is someone comes and blows it all up. What could be able to do that you might ask? EVERY OTHER CLASS! The Miner should be specialized in building and digging and also destroying other enemie Miners stuff. Other classes shouldn't be able to easily come in and and shoot down what you build or destroy it with a grenade. Next class, Rocketeer. Rocketeer used to be quite OP with the old jet pack it had. Jagex saw this and looked for a solution. They should have nerfed it instead of removing it. Now all there is is a bad jet pack that makes you go up for 2-5 seconds. Yeah, that thing is useless. Next class, Commando. I think this is one of the best, most balanced class that does what its supposed to do. Kill everything in close range combat. Except other classes(Marksman) can easily kill you for this. Marksman can kill you from afar, witch makes sense, but can also easily kill you with its pistol. Yeah, that makes sense.

Well, I advise you don't buy it as the time of this post. The game has had some changes towards getting better, but still lacks in lost of things. It says that it you will be able to "Unleash your imagination in an ever evolving battlefield." The only thing it offers is bad, unbalanced combat, with OP classes and bad hit boxes. Its also not a surprise very few people seem to play it now.
  17. Nov 30, 2013
    What do you get when you mix Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft? This, and quite frankly, mixing those two games absolutely does not work. It seems like a cool idea, right? Being able to build stuff when you have a fast action war going on? That isn't what this game is. This game is just a whole ton of snipers running around getting easy headshots on you, just because of how big your head is.What do you get when you mix Team Fortress 2 and Minecraft? This, and quite frankly, mixing those two games absolutely does not work. It seems like a cool idea, right? Being able to build stuff when you have a fast action war going on? That isn't what this game is. This game is just a whole ton of snipers running around getting easy headshots on you, just because of how big your head is.

Sadly, the extremely over-powered Marksman class isn't my biggest complaint with this game. The spawns are. You spawn in the same place every single time, regardless of if enemies are right in your spawn. I'm always dying as soon as I spawn, making it nearly impossible to even play.

I don't reccomend this game at all, it's broken, and you will regret your purchase within half an hour or so.
  18. Jan 26, 2013
    When I played the free version it worked and it was fun but the new class system ruins the whole game! The whole building idea is pointless due to the jet pack class just fly's over the whole map and the rocket class just blows it up faster than you can build. Do not buy this see if you can play the free version.
  19. Jan 14, 2013
    The game can be fun but there hasn't been any major updates or such yet and doesn't compare to the original free version. The description for the new snow blowing grief weapon doesn't even have a valid description. This game is disappointing.
  20. May 20, 2013
    Fun Game-play, Laggy as Hell, Cheap Tactics, Clunky (Really annoying and hard to climb), No country separation (playing with people in Europe who don't speak English), Crappy Community, Not a whole lot to choose from, No server browse, only quick match which sucked at matching.

~Don't Look at the Critic Reviews They're Pointless~
  21. Feb 9, 2013
    Steam had lead me to believe this would be Minecraft with the elements of a FPS. It accomplished neither. I was particularly disappointed with the building aspects of the game. I appreciate the makers concepts, however the execution was with out many merits. Bottom line: not particularly fun to play
  22. Feb 11, 2013
    My friend told me about this game like a month before it came out, and at first I was really excited about it.
    But after I bought the game, which is only about 5-6 dollars (because of the steam winter sale), I was very disappointing. It's just plain not fun. The only reason I'm not giving it a terrible score is because it's a pretty cheap game.
  23. May 13, 2013
    I have never played the Beta, so I can not comment on how much better it was. I can, however, talk about how the game is today. When I first got the game, it worked... somewhat. It was fun, actually. The concept was great, the maps were good, but it crashed. A lot. In fact, the game crashed every 15-20 minutes! For a 'fully released' game, that is absolutely unacceptable! AfterI have never played the Beta, so I can not comment on how much better it was. I can, however, talk about how the game is today. When I first got the game, it worked... somewhat. It was fun, actually. The concept was great, the maps were good, but it crashed. A lot. In fact, the game crashed every 15-20 minutes! For a 'fully released' game, that is absolutely unacceptable! After uninstalling it, and leaving it sitting in my Steam account for a while, I decided to give it another try. I mean, the devs should have had the time to fix the bugs, right? Wrong. In fact, it is even worse now! After two crashes, the game won't even start. Literally, it just stops, right before even the black start-up screen! But the thing that really puts Ace of Spades in the hole for good is that instead of working hard to fix the bugs, Jagex is releasing DLC... Jagex is turning into EA, but without the eventual great game. (And the money) Expand
  24. Jan 2, 2013
    The original game was really good. Right now it's a Team Fortress 2 wanna be. Shame on the new game developers who ruined the essence of this great game.
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    As an avid Jagex support since Runescape Classic I was thoroughly excited they finally made it to a "platform" game available on Steam. I immediately bought the game as it was released on Steam and well...was very surprised of the LACK of readiness this game was for a mainstream market. I didn't even expect this game to have fancy graphics (which it didn't) I really was looking forward toAs an avid Jagex support since Runescape Classic I was thoroughly excited they finally made it to a "platform" game available on Steam. I immediately bought the game as it was released on Steam and well...was very surprised of the LACK of readiness this game was for a mainstream market. I didn't even expect this game to have fancy graphics (which it didn't) I really was looking forward to a well-built game engine as experienced with Minecraft....but fell VERY, VERY short of my expectations and consistency in game play. I have never bought a game on Steam that I had felt like my $10 instantly burned up upon purchasing. Realistically this game should be .99 and believe they moved the decimal over once space was an insult to the original developer's product and open-source attitude. Expand
  26. Jan 8, 2013
    Let's get this sorted out first: Jagex completely shifted the playstyle of the game. For better or worse is up to you. The original was a cover-based tactical shooter, with the main focus on building, flanking, and teamwork. All three, unfortunately are lost with the new game. The game has turned into Quake, with the ability to jump incredible heights and sprint up hills, both of whichLet's get this sorted out first: Jagex completely shifted the playstyle of the game. For better or worse is up to you. The original was a cover-based tactical shooter, with the main focus on building, flanking, and teamwork. All three, unfortunately are lost with the new game. The game has turned into Quake, with the ability to jump incredible heights and sprint up hills, both of which were not present in the Original. If you like this kind of game, great. Go ahead and buy it. It's very polished and the gameplay is smooth. (Excluding he gun play) For me however, I'll stick to the old tactical shooter. Expand
  27. Dec 22, 2012
    Ace of Spades was a good freeware game that "Even your grandma can run", but now good players can't because of Jagex turning it into a entire new game.
  28. Feb 15, 2013
    When Ace of Spades was in its beta version, it was at its peak. When Jagex took over, they started doing 'shady' things to the game, to the point where it wasn't Ace of Spades anymore; it was just another FPS Minecraft clone. I purchased this game when I was lead to believe that there was a linux version coming out shortly by one of Jagex's employees, only to find out that they were NOTWhen Ace of Spades was in its beta version, it was at its peak. When Jagex took over, they started doing 'shady' things to the game, to the point where it wasn't Ace of Spades anymore; it was just another FPS Minecraft clone. I purchased this game when I was lead to believe that there was a linux version coming out shortly by one of Jagex's employees, only to find out that they were NOT going to release a linux version. The game is dead, and is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH BUYING! Expand
  29. Dec 18, 2012
    What can I say. This enjoyable game with great potential has been utterly ruined.
    The flashy graphics on the promo page was a clue to what was happening. Truly awful.
  30. Jan 9, 2013
    Ace of spades? More like space of aids, this game is absolutely **** which isn't a big suprise from Jagex. After all, these guys aren't about quality games, at least, not anymore. It's all about money money money, so what do they do to achieve that? Combine the favorite 3 things of every 13 year old: minecraft, guns and team fortress. And there you have it, the worst game out there.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 15, 2013
    There might be some good ideas in there somewhere but Ace of Spades has no game in it. In the Minecraft it was the beauty of it, but concept doesn't work if you will try to make a FPS. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    On paper it sounds like it could be a winning combination, and perhaps this will improve as the game evolves, but in practice the play styles don't mesh well together, seemingly diametrically opposed at times.
  3. Feb 18, 2013