Advent Rising PC

8.8

1. Sep 18, 2015
    I was quite disappointed with this game. It has a pretty cool sci-fi setting, and the main characters from what I've experienced so far seemed decent enough. But the gameplay is just so rough around the edges that the game becomes a test of patience a lot of the time.

The combat seems fun and all. Some battles in the beginning were quite fun, especially with the whole chaos going on aboard the space station. However, that whole area was just gunfight after gunfight. And when you're not engaging in gunfights, you're crossing vast areas doing nothing but walking, like the first plains area right after the space station. I spent a good minute or so crossing it, then died in a battle, then had to cross it again, two more times.

And shortly after that there was a car driving section. The control for the car is quite awkward, and I ended up giving up when I kept failing to make it over a gap between the cliffs whilst trying to dodge enemy gunfire. It's not my idea of fun. If you thought controlling Mako in Mass Effect was bad, think again.

In addition to frustrations in the gameplay, the game also crashes a lot. You can't save when you want, and checkpoints are quite far apart, so every time the game crashes to desktop, you lose a lot of progress.

There are some good ideas present regarding the setting, and some of the mechanics are nice, like doing dodging manoeuvres during gunfights, but in general the game feels very rough and even unpolished, with no regard to the player's time, so I can't recommend it.
  2. Oct 13, 2014
    The story in this game is surprisingly good and the gameplay is not bad either. I didn't expect anything of this game, but I certainly got a good amount of fun out of it. Too bad there is no continuation as of yet.
  3. Oct 3, 2014
    One of my all-time favorite games. Amazing story and music, and such an amazing feeling of power as you blow away your enemies. The ONLY reason I have to dock it points is the sheer number of glitches. Between the freezes and the missed global triggers, you'll be forced to replay a few sections more than you'd ever like to, though at least it gives you a menu (great feature, believe itOne of my all-time favorite games. Amazing story and music, and such an amazing feeling of power as you blow away your enemies. The ONLY reason I have to dock it points is the sheer number of glitches. Between the freezes and the missed global triggers, you'll be forced to replay a few sections more than you'd ever like to, though at least it gives you a menu (great feature, believe it or not) to skip cutscenes. All in all, a very great game. [And don't miss the cheat codes ;)] Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2013
    Great game. Graphics is not super realistic but it is done very well in cartoon style (something like star wars clone wars). Powers are a lot of "starwarsish" but they are cool this game had best Jedi powers until Force Unleashed was unleashed;). Story is very nice and music is great. It has linear story but it is OK since it is complex (well not complete without 2nd sand 3rd game). IGreat game. Graphics is not super realistic but it is done very well in cartoon style (something like star wars clone wars). Powers are a lot of "starwarsish" but they are cool this game had best Jedi powers until Force Unleashed was unleashed;). Story is very nice and music is great. It has linear story but it is OK since it is complex (well not complete without 2nd sand 3rd game). I would like to play a sequel bu I know from practice that usually 2nd and 3rd part of the trilogy are dissapointment (well maybe sometimes 2nd are best but 3rd is never). I recommend this game! Expand
  5. May 3, 2013
    I played this game first...7 years after release, something like that. So i was surprised how haven't i played it before. Excellent gameplay, great soundtrack (especially menu song), pretty nice environments, overall epicness.

..and it took my breath, really
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    Should be the Halo for Majesco but unfortunately some problems with the game mechanics an bad advertising brought the stop. Vydanie: August 9, 2005. Mám za sebou víkendový rýchlik a musím povedať stálo to za to. Príbeh ako sa patrí HRDINA (Poloboh), LÁSKA, PRIATEĽSTVO, RODINA a hlavne veľa SCI-FI. Trochu hapruje kamera, budiš odpustené. Len škoda že sa nechystá 2/3. Aj keď MAJECO nehodláShould be the Halo for Majesco but unfortunately some problems with the game mechanics an bad advertising brought the stop. Vydanie: August 9, 2005. Mám za sebou víkendový rýchlik a musím povedať stálo to za to. Príbeh ako sa patrí HRDINA (Poloboh), LÁSKA, PRIATEĽSTVO, RODINA a hlavne veľa SCI-FI. Trochu hapruje kamera, budiš odpustené. Len škoda že sa nechystá 2/3. Aj keď MAJECO nehodlá ďalej robiť AAA tituly malá nádej v podobe STEAM-u tu je. Ak sa hry budú predávať možno TO BE CONTINUED. Expand
  7. Aug 7, 2011
    Generally a good game if not weighed down by a bum wrap. IMHO, the handling of its marketing and the not so well thought out 1 million dollar prize (and the fact it was later canceled) adds to its poor reception and the consumer backlash it received. This is a classic if not textbook case study on how not to advertise for and release a game. There have been poorer and unplayable games thatGenerally a good game if not weighed down by a bum wrap. IMHO, the handling of its marketing and the not so well thought out 1 million dollar prize (and the fact it was later canceled) adds to its poor reception and the consumer backlash it received. This is a classic if not textbook case study on how not to advertise for and release a game. There have been poorer and unplayable games that were better handled than this title. It is a testament of Advent Rising's worth, that it has not been easily swept under the carpet and forgotten by the gamers who enjoyed it.

With that said, the PC version of this game is a solid if not polished release. The production values are a little unbalanced. It has an excellent soundtrack, an interesting story that draws you in. It even requires you to make some difficult life and death choices about characters you might have become attached. The art direction can be described as stylized. The cut scenes are divided between pre-rendered and in game engine sequences that can feel a little jarring in contrast. Character models are often economical with the details and do not exactly stand the test of time, especially female characters with long hair and chunky hands. I found it disappointing that the PC version lacked the display/video options that come with the territory. The game failed to take advantage of many of the current graphics card features of the time, like anti-aliasing. This game really seemed to need the anti-aliasing because it seemed to always have a very grainy and pixelated look in game engine no matter how high the resolution.

On how it plays, it is a pretty solid third person shooter with decent melee combat options. However, many of the other interesting tactical options are overshadowed by poor control implementation. Many of the defensive telekinetic abilities like the one that allows you to take weapons out of enemy's hand to use it against them or the "flick" targeting system are not very usable. Since they are not consistent or difficult to master, I can imagine players would stick with the more effective attacks. The Jedi force push like telekinetic power comes to mind; it has a really cool refracting visual effect and is fun to use.

Although we are left with a story that has an inevitable cliffhanger which carries little hope in being resolved story wise, grabbing a copy of this game out of the bargain bin or conveniently purchasing it off of steam for 9.99 USD is just a no-brainer.
  8. Feb 19, 2011
    The best story line ever, probably better than FF7! the game was made for the 360 so theres no suprise no one picked up a copy, since they where just getting there hands on the 360 they wanted to play with the best graphics at that time, even though the graphics on this game is the best i saw for the original xbox, the company rushed it and made it flop. I just wish I could play the lastThe best story line ever, probably better than FF7! the game was made for the 360 so theres no suprise no one picked up a copy, since they where just getting there hands on the 360 they wanted to play with the best graphics at that time, even though the graphics on this game is the best i saw for the original xbox, the company rushed it and made it flop. I just wish I could play the last two games and find out what happens. the game play and the story line along with the graphics (kickass) Collapse
  9. Nov 23, 2010
    It's been a long time since I last played this game, but I enjoyed it like I've enjoyed few games since. What brought Advent Rising to life was the progression of the story, which kept you going, just to find out what would happen next. I have little patience for the critics who slammed the game for technical errors. If I read a great book, 2 pages into it I don't care what paper it'sIt's been a long time since I last played this game, but I enjoyed it like I've enjoyed few games since. What brought Advent Rising to life was the progression of the story, which kept you going, just to find out what would happen next. I have little patience for the critics who slammed the game for technical errors. If I read a great book, 2 pages into it I don't care what paper it's printed on; I just want to find out what'll happen when I turn over the page.
    Three parts were promised, one was delivered. I'm downright pissed, gentlemen, because I want to see the sequel coming out. Because of the story!!!!!!
  10. Oct 2, 2010
    Ahahaha.Good.This game stoles a lot.From games and movies.But stoles with style.Good enough.Nice graphics pretty weapons(some stolen from Halo) ai is kinda boring has some vehicles(buggy stolen from halo without succes it sucks) and pretty nice level design.The dual-wielding of rocket launchers and heavy weapons is cool.The friendly alien race is again stolen from Halo(elites) here withAhahaha.Good.This game stoles a lot.From games and movies.But stoles with style.Good enough.Nice graphics pretty weapons(some stolen from Halo) ai is kinda boring has some vehicles(buggy stolen from halo without succes it sucks) and pretty nice level design.The dual-wielding of rocket launchers and heavy weapons is cool.The friendly alien race is again stolen from Halo(elites) here with some nice additions.Their battleships are again stolen from Halo.But anyway good game with nice gameplay and controls.9 Expand
  11. geronimos
    Jul 16, 2009
    Have played many games in life and in pc. have played the stupid halo too.advent rising is in a class of its own.there are holes to be plugged i admit, but what game does not.if i meet those stupid reviewers they are history.i only play games that i enjoy, advent rising is one of them.hope the trilogy is completed. Amen.
  12. RyanT
    Jul 1, 2009
    The only good thin about the game is the storyline. The gameplay is choppy and riddled with bugs. The developers apparently could not make the decision if it should be an action/adventure game or a FPS. In my opinion most of the bugs that I dealt with should have been found during testing; although Majesco has no way to contact them about said bugs. I spent $10 on the game and I feel like The only good thin about the game is the storyline. The gameplay is choppy and riddled with bugs. The developers apparently could not make the decision if it should be an action/adventure game or a FPS. In my opinion most of the bugs that I dealt with should have been found during testing; although Majesco has no way to contact them about said bugs. I spent $10 on the game and I feel like I have wasted my money. Expand
  13. PerK
    Feb 14, 2009
    This is a GEM of a game, I'ts a long time sinceI finished it, and STILL remember it..if you're looking for good gameplay and not brainless fluff try this out.
  14. DustinP
    Oct 1, 2008
    ok ok every game has a few flaws however as far as a game that takes away bordom this is perfect a story line that is damn near better then Halo and a fun experience t be like a god without being a god its newish and exciting the PC version is the only one ive played the controls are simple and easy to use easy to learn i truly enjoyed this game and this is omming from someone who though ok ok every game has a few flaws however as far as a game that takes away bordom this is perfect a story line that is damn near better then Halo and a fun experience t be like a god without being a god its newish and exciting the PC version is the only one ive played the controls are simple and easy to use easy to learn i truly enjoyed this game and this is omming from someone who though COD4 sucked online play is ok for a bit and the offline play sucked hardcore however Advent Risiong beats teh majority of those games it is fun and not boring like the others and needs to have a sequel maybe change the physics engine make it look prettyer and set us up with some more powers more story and lets see the humans conquer lets see them find another planet with others that band togetehr to take out the seekers i think it was wonderfull and needs more much much more maybe say forget the trilogy lets go right for a series and keep it going there is no limit to the potential of this story. Expand
  15. stanleyf
    Jun 19, 2008
    Possibly the best game I've ever played. Sure some people wine about the controls, but i've played games with far worse controls then this. And it wasn't even half bad once you got the hang of it. Story wise, its probably on par with ff7/8 if not better and its definately an epic story and incredibly well written. GREAT voice overs! I rarely see good voice overs anymore but Possibly the best game I've ever played. Sure some people wine about the controls, but i've played games with far worse controls then this. And it wasn't even half bad once you got the hang of it. Story wise, its probably on par with ff7/8 if not better and its definately an epic story and incredibly well written. GREAT voice overs! I rarely see good voice overs anymore but the acting and voice were superb. Combat was also reallllllly fun, c'mon how many other games out there let you blow the crap out of anyone near you, let you throw balls of energy blowing up stuff, tons of other unique abilities that games still today lack. Even the graphics aren't that bad, its not gears of war but the game does a great job of making you feel immersed in the story and world. And to top it off, there lots of twists and turns that most games today simply can't pull off. This game is truly unique if you haven't played it I highly suggest you do so regardless of those incredibly stupid reviewers from those magazines. Those guys really need to stop expecting every single game to be completely new and unique. Expand
  16. ppt
    Mar 15, 2008
    The game is not finished :( you will run into problems including the objects you need to use do not function all the time. This requires you to restart the game possibly more then once. That said the story and soundtrack are so good that regardless of the problems the game is worth playing. If you are a gamer who likes a emotional engaging story then this is one you will not soon forget.
  17. ChrisN.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Absolutely amazing game. Really a departure from the norm, which in this case is a very good thing. The action is only interrupted seemlessly by gripping cinematics that move the story along perfectly. The action / gameplay can be a bit repetative, but pays off every time. I did notice that on a few occasions it was a tad difficult to figure out where to go next, but was never a major Absolutely amazing game. Really a departure from the norm, which in this case is a very good thing. The action is only interrupted seemlessly by gripping cinematics that move the story along perfectly. The action / gameplay can be a bit repetative, but pays off every time. I did notice that on a few occasions it was a tad difficult to figure out where to go next, but was never a major bother. If you are an action fan who even vaguely enjoys some RPG depth, check this game out!! Please lord, let there be a sequel. ;) Expand
  18. Przemek
    Nov 15, 2007
    One of the best games i've played. Orson Scott Card has done marvelous job creating this story... It was planed for a trillogy, but it's quiet about other two parts of the adventure... I'd realy enjoy futher doings of Gideon Wyeth :)
  19. VivekT.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Rating it makes no difference any more, since there will be no sequels on the basis of its popularity, and truth be told, the reviews let this fabulous game down in a major way. Nevertheless, AR has been one of the most mature game, with regard to story-telling, that it has been my pleasure to play. And why does one play a game at all? In my case it is in order to experience a story in Rating it makes no difference any more, since there will be no sequels on the basis of its popularity, and truth be told, the reviews let this fabulous game down in a major way. Nevertheless, AR has been one of the most mature game, with regard to story-telling, that it has been my pleasure to play. And why does one play a game at all? In my case it is in order to experience a story in proxy, like reading such an enthralling book, that one gets vicariously absorbed into the narration and the action, and experiences the excitement and the terror, and the unfolding of the story in a thrillingly personal way. Shame on you, Majesco, for not allowing sequels of this great story to be developed! Expand
  20. RobM.
    Jun 21, 2007
    An excellent attempt that hits a home run in some areas, misses in others. The gameplay can be clunky and a bit repetitive, however, the story is excellent, as is the voice acting. The graphics are above average in every regard, the one complaint I would have about this game is how fast it goes by. I would recommend this to anyone, I believe that this game was under-rated due to the An excellent attempt that hits a home run in some areas, misses in others. The gameplay can be clunky and a bit repetitive, however, the story is excellent, as is the voice acting. The graphics are above average in every regard, the one complaint I would have about this game is how fast it goes by. I would recommend this to anyone, I believe that this game was under-rated due to the issues it had on its Xbox launch (there were many bugs). The port to computer took care of many of them. I wish there was a sequel, the game was origionally planned to be a trilogy, however that may not ever happen. Expand
  21. JeremyK.
    Apr 13, 2007
    This game has a great soundtrack, amazing gameplay, none of the bugs reported on xbox and a story that will leave you begging for more. Only problem I was a small jump glitch that took me a few seconds to get out of. Overall this game was awesome and should definatly have a sequel.
  22. PatrickS.
    Feb 16, 2007
    The game was awesome and we need a sequel!
  23. GordonJ.
    Feb 2, 2007
    Excellent story and gameplay, graphics are a bit s***, but what can you expect from a console port.
  24. Yves
    Jan 14, 2007
    Great game, some flaws and glitches. The game crashed on me a couple of times but it isn't enough to detract from the story and gameplay which I enjoyed quite a lot. Overall it was worth the purchase and I wish they had not shut down production on the sequals as I was looking forward to them.
    Nov 27, 2006
    Excellent game. A great piece of interactive fiction! Great cinimatics; great story. I can't wait for the next one. If it runs too fast, google the game title and the words "too fast" for a fix.
  26. DeJhonM.
    Nov 8, 2006
    This game wants to be something... but keeps hitting nothing. The shere number of powers avaliable keeps me switching back and forth assigning 1 after another every few min. (I gave up on melee only recently... too many errors with the targeting and execution of certain attacks. And weapons don't hold enough power.) The problem is that the game tries too hard with its story rather This game wants to be something... but keeps hitting nothing. The shere number of powers avaliable keeps me switching back and forth assigning 1 after another every few min. (I gave up on melee only recently... too many errors with the targeting and execution of certain attacks. And weapons don't hold enough power.) The problem is that the game tries too hard with its story rather then the execution. There are more infinate enemy spawns then anything, and after killing the same guy 20x it really gets old... But it doesn't stop there... they add in a series of super enemies that can kill you in 2 hits because, by now, you should have overused your powers enough to fight them. I used guns for most of my game and got hit in the end for it. Eitherway, the gameplay is extreamly repetitive. And extremely dragged out. The story is great, as a story, but having the entire human race wiped out with only 3 survivors (and then 1 dies) is too cliche. Let alone the fact that sure as hell their ship could have held more passangers (and why the hell did they auto take off with only 2 people in the escape pod). The story seems adjusted to make a highly impossible game story... I mean, why bother throwing these mini astroids (and I beg 'mini) at a planet if you are going to magically demolish it with a large astroid? Hell, why even bother going at all? They killed more humans then they 'collected' In the end, the only part that sets the game right is the gameplay. This is exactally the type of gameplay I don't see enough of. (Third Person Shooter with acrobatics and phycic powers). Having him dancing all over the screen was rather fun and enjoyable. And the initial oppinion still holds fast in the game. Expand
  27. ScottB.
    Oct 29, 2006
    Overall one of the best games I have bought in a long time. The targeting system gives you fits untill almost the end of the game, but im sure that will be fixed by the next installment. The Storyline is one of the best in any sci-fi game, escpecially as a fan of Orson Scott Card's writing. The graphics were slightly behind the times, but the writing was enough to overcome the lack Overall one of the best games I have bought in a long time. The targeting system gives you fits untill almost the end of the game, but im sure that will be fixed by the next installment. The Storyline is one of the best in any sci-fi game, escpecially as a fan of Orson Scott Card's writing. The graphics were slightly behind the times, but the writing was enough to overcome the lack of eye candy. Expand
  28. DirkK.
    Oct 18, 2006
    This game is a bit dated in the graphics department, but makes up for that with an excellent soundtrack and an awesome storyline. To be honest I enjoyed Advent Rising more than Half-Life 2. Its just a better game. Well worth the money and time.
  29. EdwardG.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Although the gameplay doesn't reach the heights of the Half Life series, this suspicious PC Gamer was soon drawn into Advent Rising. The plot is compelling, and one even feels a sense of character development. The sci-fi is medium-soft in the style of say Babylon 5. The latter part of the game is too easy in many ways as you can simply avoid many enemies rather than facing them. But Although the gameplay doesn't reach the heights of the Half Life series, this suspicious PC Gamer was soon drawn into Advent Rising. The plot is compelling, and one even feels a sense of character development. The sci-fi is medium-soft in the style of say Babylon 5. The latter part of the game is too easy in many ways as you can simply avoid many enemies rather than facing them. But having this freedom is rather satisfying to be honest. However the skills based nature of weapons and powers does penalise the player for not using all that is available to them. At the price it is now this is worth a look. Especially if you enjoy Space Opera. Expand
  30. EliasR.
    Sep 29, 2006
    This is one of the best games I have played, alot because of the story, its really really good, took me 11 hours on easy, there is no blood in it, but im actually ok with that, if you play for a long time, it can catch you, so you really get hte feeling of, man i gotta save olivia ( from where you have to flee from the planet, you get told to leave, not get your girl and leave) ( could This is one of the best games I have played, alot because of the story, its really really good, took me 11 hours on easy, there is no blood in it, but im actually ok with that, if you play for a long time, it can catch you, so you really get hte feeling of, man i gotta save olivia ( from where you have to flee from the planet, you get told to leave, not get your girl and leave) ( could also be the brother) another thing i like, is that the rescourses is alot open, its ogg as music, and bik, I did also see they made 2 versions (brother or girlfriend) , the game plays like a story, it get cleared, and end, with this lose end, where you sit, and think what will the future give, on the same time its really anoying, so you get the credits to think about it in, and then, there are some extra levels, and thats is a big + cause , we know the begining, and got a path, so people as do, will stop thinking, oh that pilot and out man, is going to be the new adam and eva, and as I see, then are the game made on unreal engine, and thats not bad at all, especially because of the dynamic bullet system it got. Expand
  31. JamesK.
    Sep 24, 2006
    Great story, lots of fun! Can't wait for the rest of the trilogy.
  32. MooseMan
    Sep 22, 2006
    Great story, great game, great fun the most original shooter I've seen this whole year.
  33. CodyE.
    Sep 21, 2006
    Very good plotline...but kind of dinky objectives sometimes.Nice graphix for this type of game also.
  34. GF
    Sep 20, 2006
    The game is really fun to play and the graphics are very stylish. I really enjoyed this game.
  35. ThomasG.
    Sep 15, 2006
    It's absolutely enthrawling. I'm glued to it. Remindes me of the kind of sci fi movies I wish I was seeing in theater right now. Story line is great. Negatives are that some bugs exist resulting in getting kicked out of the game while playing however they don't start occuring till the first bounty hunter interaction for me and that's pretty far in the game.... I think.
  36. DavidS.
    Sep 15, 2006
    A very very amazing game, infact on my list of top ten games from NES to today, it ranks number two. The Story really hooks you in, and the actual gameplay is really fun, enough to over look a couple bugs. The dialog rocked and so did the action, this is well worth the buy.
  37. JohnnyM.
    Sep 15, 2006
    Wasn't as buggy as the Xbox release, well written dialogues and was a brilliant game for what it was supposed to be: The introductory leg of a three leg series.
  38. BenM.
    Apr 30, 2006
    Sweetest game ever. Unbelievably awesome storyline, amazing gameplay. I'm running out of adjectives. Anybody who gave this game under a 90% can and should go soak their heads.
  39. AdiS.
    Apr 27, 2006
    Amazing Concept and Execution and the easily best soundtrack in 2005.
  40. KylebJ.
    Mar 4, 2006
    I got this game based on the the feedback here and wished I hadn't. I'm an Orson Scott Card fan so I really wanted to like it--but It's just a terrible game. The psychic powers are so overwhelming they feel like cheats. With several of the powers you can clear the entire screen of baddies once every two seconds or so for the entire game, so the only way to have fun is to I got this game based on the the feedback here and wished I hadn't. I'm an Orson Scott Card fan so I really wanted to like it--but It's just a terrible game. The psychic powers are so overwhelming they feel like cheats. With several of the powers you can clear the entire screen of baddies once every two seconds or so for the entire game, so the only way to have fun is to intentionally weaken yourself. The weapons are unsatisfying and a confusing chore to select. About half the sound effects are flat out missing, so many actions have little impact. The story is kinda cool but VERY lightweight next to Card's novel. I'm all for fans taking on the critics to champion games they like, but the critics got it right with this one. If you're used to playing quality FPSs like H-L2, FEAR, Call of Duty, etc, you'll be sorely disappointed. Expand
  41. db
    Jan 20, 2006
    Learning new control themes was tricky at times but that is part of the fun. I wish it had been a little longer, and wish there would be more like this to come. The harsh critics of this game have tunnel vision and very little imagination I presume. Com,mon I need a sequel. This game was as much fun as any other I have played. Kind of a mix of Unreal and Deus Ex.
  42. AnthonyH.
    Jan 16, 2006
    The Best Game i've ever played. I couldn't put it down. The best storyline i've ever seen in a game, felt like you were in a movie. The ending had me stuned and wanting more. Usually this type of game would not intrest me much, but Orsen Scott Card does an amazing storytelling job.
  43. J.G.
    Jan 9, 2006
    such an awsome game, one of the best ones i've played. There may be some gliches every once in a while, but so what, what game doesnt have gliches. Im really mad hearing that there wont be any sequels made for it, because so many people complained about the game for no reason and bankrupted the company. i just hope that there will be a sequel or the entire trilogy in the future, such an awsome game, one of the best ones i've played. There may be some gliches every once in a while, but so what, what game doesnt have gliches. Im really mad hearing that there wont be any sequels made for it, because so many people complained about the game for no reason and bankrupted the company. i just hope that there will be a sequel or the entire trilogy in the future, cause its such an awsome game. Expand
  44. JasonK.
    Oct 24, 2005
    It is a very enjoyable game, but for some reason I cannot beat the very last part where you either face the main charator's brother or lover. It does have a lot of gliches. I know in certain parts you don't want to kill everything other wise the camra angle freezes.
  45. MortenB.
    Oct 5, 2005
    It is 100% linear game that you can complete in about 10 hours - the psychic powers you learn are almost identical to the force powers in the 3rd person action adventure starwars games more than foru years ago - if you think a short lifespan game using 5 years old gameplay, then then by all means buy this game. the only good thing you can say about this game is that the story is catchy,It is 100% linear game that you can complete in about 10 hours - the psychic powers you learn are almost identical to the force powers in the 3rd person action adventure starwars games more than foru years ago - if you think a short lifespan game using 5 years old gameplay, then then by all means buy this game. the only good thing you can say about this game is that the story is catchy, but playing a game just to unlock new prerendered cut scenes isnt enough to pull this game above 50% Too much linear hack and slash and too little rpg/freedom. Expand
  46. TimH.
    Sep 17, 2005
    Don't listen to the critics that don't seem to understand the art behind this science fiction masterpiece. It is every bit as good and probably better than Halo 2. Gamers and developers alike should be paying close attention to Majesco as they actually appear to have enormous inspiration to take risks and create original works of gaming art like Advent Rising, Psychonauts, and Don't listen to the critics that don't seem to understand the art behind this science fiction masterpiece. It is every bit as good and probably better than Halo 2. Gamers and developers alike should be paying close attention to Majesco as they actually appear to have enormous inspiration to take risks and create original works of gaming art like Advent Rising, Psychonauts, and Phantom Dust - keep up the good work guys. Majesco should be honored for breathing some fresh air into an often wrechedly stale gaming industry. The critics can zip their mouths and go back to playing games involving the hackneyed themes of viral mutation, zombies, and a variety of demonic entities. Leave this game to gamers that still possess an imagination and appreciation for good art and good story telling. I had a great time the first time through Advent and plan on playing it again before the next installment is released. Give it a try. Expand
  47. LandisT.
    Aug 24, 2005
    Great fun. Great game. Give us part 2!
  48. HughI.
    Aug 18, 2005
    Good story, good action and as stated above, a great ending. Had a few problems with the save game feature and a couple crashes to desktop. A lot of fun for the money and you'll be looking forward to the sequel.
  49. AlanB.
    Aug 16, 2005
    Gotta agree there, despite one or two graphical glitches I've seen, the gameplay is awesome.
  50. Mystic
    Aug 13, 2005
    Don't let stupid critics fool you. This game is phenomenol. I found it more fun than HALO and the ending is the BEST I have ever seen. Kick ass!
  51. Feb 19, 2011

1. Play Magazine
    A few rough edges aside, Advent Rising is gaming's latest and most promising future epic. [July 2005, p.74]
    It brings original ideas and a good dose of personality to a genre that often focuses too much on just shooting people in the face. If you are able to ignore some technical shortcomings and enjoy cut-scenes and character development, this title is worth a look.
  3. It's short but it's good. There are some flaws that you need to overlook but there's nothing here that will ruin the entire experience. The lack of a co-op or multi-player modes reduces the replay value but you can go back and experiment with different combinations of powers.