5.3

1. Nov 20, 2013
    This is such an odd thing. It's a very retro dungeon crawler (sharing some similarities with Roguelike games), but it's released on mainstream platforms, and aimed at kids. The problem with mainstream platforms (like the consoles) are that people believe that realistic psychopathy simulators with shooty-stabby elements (and often military uniforms) are the be all and end all ofThis is such an odd thing. It's a very retro dungeon crawler (sharing some similarities with Roguelike games), but it's released on mainstream platforms, and aimed at kids. The problem with mainstream platforms (like the consoles) are that people believe that realistic psychopathy simulators with shooty-stabby elements (and often military uniforms) are the be all and end all of videogaming.

The problem there is that introducing a modern mainstream gamer to retro gaming (which is so completely different) is kind of like taking a Nascar fan to the Louvre and asking them to 'review' great works. The results would be funny, but not exactly relevant. And whilst kids may be amused by the retro stylings due to its silliness, they just don't have any point of context since I can't imagine many kids are playing 8-bit video games any more.

So who, exactly, is this aimed at?

Well, me, yeah. I loved this. I loved that it's not as horribly stressful as Roguelikes often are, I enjoyed the charm, the wit, and the cleverness, I like Adventure Time, and I like old games. But am I a demographic? I kind of doubt it. So I think this game is going to get bad reviews due to the target demographic just being weird. Very, very weird. If you happen to fit into my particular demographic then you'll likely have a ball with this, and if you have a similarly minded friend then you're going to be as happy as a clam.

The demographic literally seems to be: Old retro gamers who like Adventure Time.

Perhaps it's for old retro gamers to play it with their kids? But again, I think without context it might confuse kids a bit. Or it might not and they might have a blast with it. Besides, if their dads happen to be retro gamers (like me), they might actually have played some retro titles. I know that's a thing that can happen from personal experience.

But, again, how big am I as a demographic?

It's nice that WayForward are making games for me, and this is a very good game, but I can't imagine it going over well with the majority. I can see this getting a lot of nasty attack reviews. Remember: Nascar fan in the Louvre, that's what a modern mainstream gamer being exposed to this is going to be like.

So it just depends upon what you like and what you want.

Are you an older person who plays old games and likes Adventure Time? This is for you.

Come to think of it, that description probably fits Pendleton Ward, too, going by some of the Adventure Time episodes. Hm.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jan 10, 2014
    The title sums the game up pretty accurately. It seems the developers didn’t know why they are making this game and how to make it. [01/2014, p.68]
  2. Dec 16, 2013
    This is a functional but mostly joyless and aimless game whose design maximizes the most tedious parts of its dungeon crawl, and not even local co-op for four can make things more palatable. Adventure Time deserves more respect than this.