5.8

1. Sep 1, 2012
    When Fallout meets Fight Club, and bits and pieces of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Doom, AvP, and Gears of War franchises are thrown in for good measure, you get a slab of festering meat titled Afterfall: InSanity.

I'm not going to rag on the voice acting, because honestly, I've heard worse, and enough people have pointed out the problems. Likewise, the melee combat and shaky camera effect are annoying but not a dealbreaker, because it's still manageable.

What makes Afterfall a shoddy game, is that it takes all the juicy bits from other games, and then throws them all together and overcooks them. It just doesn't know what it wants to be. It's got the horror feel down sometimes, even though most of the corridors are more or less exactly the same; you can look down a hallway and almost always predict where the monster is going to jump out and attack you. It then decides to become a puzzle game, with timed sequences with hardly a tutoral, that take you fifteen tries before you realize what the game wants you to do. The second half is strictly firefights, with the occasional "scare mixed in, and poorly executed action sequences littered with shoddy quick time events. It spreads itself too thin, and that ruins most of the game.

Here's the plot summarized: World War 2 ended differently, the cold war **** things up, nuclear war broke out, the world went to hell, you're locked in a shelter, or should I say vault, and when **** hits the fan, you're sent for completely unjustified and dubious reasons into the deep reaches of the shelter in which they've apparently ran out of lightbulbs, armed with a weak pistol and a flashlight that does **** all.

You'll almost never run out of ammo, because you'll never need a gun for the first half of the game, and that's good because every ammunition dispenser you run across is empty. I literally found four that gave me ammunition in the entire game. Despite having a melee inventory slot, only one weapon fits into it, and you'll only have that weapon for ten minutes in the first half hour of gametime. Every other melee weapon has to be dropped when you want to use your gun, and then picked up again when you're finished. That said, the only melee weapon you'll ever need is the fireaxe, everything else it either too slow, or too weak, and the axe is so common in the first half of the game that you'll never need anything else; if there's no fireaxe around, you're almost guaranteed to be entering a gunfight.
    In all, Afterfall doesn't do that much particularly bad, it just doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy, and prefers to float facedown in the shallow pool of mediocrity.
    On a side note, I've noticed more than a few sound bites have been borrowed from the 2010 Aliens vs. Predator, and the entire loading screen - visual effects and music - have been more or less ripped from from Duke Nukem Forever.
  2. Sep 11, 2013
    It isn't really a horror game but the atmosphere keeps suprsing me.
    The ending was just brilliant such a twist it's sad to hear like 75% off the people here didn't came that far. The problem is this games is pretty slow in the story at the beginning and that's why lot of people stop playing after 30 minutes,
    It isn't really a horror game but the atmosphere keeps suprsing me.
    The problem is this games is pretty slow in the story at the beginning and that's why lot of people stop playing after 30 minutes, while I actually loved it especially after u get out of the bunker!
    The DLC... Yeah way to hard almost nobody can get past the 1st round I tried 30 minutes without succes.
    I based this on the steam achievements so please make it easyer or just delete it gosh...
  3. ic1
    Nov 26, 2011
    Afterfall: InSanity originally started as an independent Fallout-like project, through the time it evolved into TPP survival horror. I admit that I am not a big fan of survival horrors and would rather see a post-apocalyptic RPG, but hey, before passing judgments let's try it first.

No big intros, weak cut-scene and you are good to go. The game teaches you rather smoothly how to operate, melee, shoot etc. as tries to present the circumstances you are in. Nothing really to catch your attention but as with lots of other games beginnings it not necessarily needs to be a volcano eruption. The bad is that more you are in the game it's not getting any hotter. The play is completely linear and dull. Nothing actually makes your heart beat faster â
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    The game is definitely low budget but it comes at a low price so I do not see how so many people are complaining. I have spent more money on many games that are not as good as this. The game does start slow and the controls can be a bit clunky. The hacking and puzzles are rather lame as was the boss fights. That being said, once I got a few chapters into the game, things did get betterThe game is definitely low budget but it comes at a low price so I do not see how so many people are complaining. I have spent more money on many games that are not as good as this. The game does start slow and the controls can be a bit clunky. The hacking and puzzles are rather lame as was the boss fights. That being said, once I got a few chapters into the game, things did get better and it kept my interest. The plot and the atmosphere of the game are good. The graphics are not great but they are pretty decent. Just to give you a reference, the graphics are slightly below those of the more recent Call of Duty games. It seems like the graphics got better and more detailed farther into the game. The game was not too short. I would have preferred having more shooting and less beating things over the head with a stick For an initial retail price of $20, it is a good buy. If you got the game for $1 in the pre-order special, you really lucked out. Expand
  5. Aug 9, 2013
    well, i got it for 2€ and started playing when i was bored.
    i didnt expect much after i saw the metascore and the bad reviews.
    to be honest, the graphics look average, even if the game is using the unreal 3 engine, the sounds are often out of sync and the animations are very bad... BUT after playing it a few hours, i have to say its much better than you might think. considering
    well, i got it for 2€ and started playing when i was bored.
    i didnt expect much after i saw the metascore and the bad reviews.

considering that its regulary sold for only 9,49€ on steam (im saying "only" because ive played much worse, for a lot more money *cough* metro last light *cough*)
    and an indie title, from a small studio-

the level design is interesting, it feels like a mixture of doom 3 and halflife.
    the controls are harder than at other games, but that makes it a challenge, i like it.
    it has some riddles to solve, quicktime moments, is somewhat creepy...

all together i would say that the developers made the best of their limited ressources and created a solid budget game.

for sure worth the price! (ps: there is also a FREE arena dlc)
  6. Dec 1, 2011
    I was skeptical about starting an adventure with this game. Now after passing game I can say that this game is worth your money. Animation may not be sensational in this game, but the story is good. This game is for Dead Space, Fallout fans but not only for them.
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    The game is great. Really scary, good, adequate to atmosphere graphic, interesting plot and sound effects. Good piece of survival horror with good plot and enjoyable.
  8. May 25, 2015
    I see a lot of very negative reviews, mostly undeserved. People, this is/was a budget product and should be considered as such. Comparing it to major projects (or even franchises) like Fallout or Dead Space) is like comparing shiny, gamma-irradiated apples to greenish oranges.

I myself got it at a clearance sale for 1 euro and honestly, it's more than money's worth. The sound is

The sound is frequently off, voice out of sync in respect to character animations and the combat system quite laughable. However, I did appreciate the graphics, suspense, very good touch on mental mambo-jumbos and slightly scary atmosphere. I did not expect shiny apples for 1 euro, though I still got myself an eatable orange :).
  9. Jun 24, 2015
    The game is... meh. It's not terrible, nor is it unplayable.

The story is not bad, the environmental backgrounds and graphics are actually pretty good and the music is very well done. The atmosphere is okay, but it is not a true horror game to what I have played, there are some scary scenes but not a game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent or OUTLAST which you will get some good scares,
    The game is... meh. It's not terrible, nor is it unplayable.

The atmosphere is okay, but it is not a true horror game to what I have played, there are some scary scenes but not a game like Amnesia: The Dark Descent or OUTLAST which you will get some good scares, but reminds me like I am playing Alan Wake or Eternal Darkness with their psychological horror.

But, there are some flaws, the sound effects are terrible, they sound like they were taken from a cheap sound website or from a cheap B-Movie, the voice acting is not bad, the main character's voice is awful, it's like the voice actor who voiced the main character was not bothered or was bored when recording, as it sounds pretty boring. The other actors voices are not bad, but still not up to good quality standards.

The combat is awful, it looks like everyone has problems like the exorcist having spasms and I have encountered some glitches and bugs, like doors won't open and I have to reload to the last checkpoint, and sometimes the game freezes momentarily which bugs me, but overall the game is not terrible and is quite a good game if you are bored from other games and feel like playing a game that has a mediocre gameplay and story.

Afterfall Insanity: Extended Edition includes the DLC with it. The DLC honestly is a waste, why on earth would you call it DLC if there is only two modes, Dirty Arena (in which you use melee weapons, and as you progress you use guns) and Second Strike (in which you use guns), which the gameplay just consists of wave after wave of enemies, then when you reach the fifth wave you get the boss. What a waste. Now I can understand if it was in Co-Op or Multiplayer, but not on your own!

I understand the story focuses on just one guy, but on the DLC, the player and his friends or other players could of played as the main character, Karolina, the colonel, anyone of the characters mentioned, but nope, just you all by yourself, hitting and shooting your way through five waves over and over again, boring. What a waste on a good idea for DLC. Don't try the DLC, unless you are interested in what the DLC holds (like me), then by all means, try it... just don't expect anything good out of it! And if this is what DLC should be, then thank god I don't waste my money of this type of "downloadable content"

Now to the recommendation, for its full price, I would not recommend it, BUT if it is either in a sale, price drop, giveaway, gift or even given to you as a free game like I got it (IndieGala's Giveaway - 25th May 2014) then I would recommend it.
  10. Apr 17, 2015
    I would start by saying that this game actually DOES worth those 5 bucks and even some more. Judging Afterfall:Insanity by it's production value, I'd say it's a 20 bucks game. Unfortunately this game is a big mess, and while I did enjoy it (somewhat) in a forced and bizzare way, I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't think many would enjoy this game. (Although. again. it *does* worth theI would start by saying that this game actually DOES worth those 5 bucks and even some more. Judging Afterfall:Insanity by it's production value, I'd say it's a 20 bucks game. Unfortunately this game is a big mess, and while I did enjoy it (somewhat) in a forced and bizzare way, I wouldn't recommend it, and I don't think many would enjoy this game. (Although. again. it *does* worth the current 5$ price tag)

So, basically this is the action-survival-horror post-apocaliptic kind of thing.
    Which can be rather good bad also a pain in the ♥♥♥.
    The story of Afterfall, or at least the idea of it, is interesting and could be something pretty good actually. The main character is a psychiatrist which is supposed to investigate a serious disease which causing the people around mental and physical changes. I won't spoil anything else about the story and the game's futuristic setting but I would say that they're basically great and have a lot of potential.

Too bad the execution is so bad... because that story doesn't go too far and doesn't develop that well.
    Is there a good climax at least...? I wouldn't say so.
    Also the script was pretty poor, and the characters' voice-overs even poorer.
    What could be a pretty darn good video-game story ended up being a nuisance.

A good gameplay can always save the situation, of course, because who gives a damn about story when there's a good game to be played, right?
    Well, the gameplay is also a tragedy, unfortunately, and is filled with mostly running around and with boring, not too fun, not too challanging, not rewarding at all- melee combat.
    There's a very low amount of weapons to choose from, and it all gets rather repetitive very quickly.
    Towards the end of the game it all got too annoying for me and I simply used a trainer just to finish this game and see how it ends.

The game's graphics were actually fine, BUT, about half of the game happens withing undergound shelters which are designed in a boring and repetitive way. And when you get out, IF you'll get to this point in the game, somehow it doesn't get too impressive, too.

The music and sounds are well done, but I felt it only when listening to the game's soundtrack outside of the game (being the video-game&soundtracks geek that I am) and I somehow felt that the soundtrack isn't integrated so well into the game, and gets way too repetitive and banal.

As I said at the beginning I did enjoy this game somehow, to some extent.
    It made me curious enough to go and try the sequel (Reconquest) which I download at this very moment.
    I still wouldn't recommend this game so much.
    Perhaps you should try it if you, too, like mysels, have some mysterious affections to certain bizzare andor mediocre games.
    And.. well, it's just 5 dollars.
  11. Sep 11, 2013

1. May 11, 2012
    The mission design is average at best and suffers from repetition. The puzzles are irrelevant and so is the action – mainly thanks to the ridiculous AI.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Mar 8, 2012
    Survival horror inspired by classics like Fallout or Stalker can not hide its fan-based roots. With the second-grade visuals, sounds, level design and story it ended way beyond our expectations. [Feb 2012]
  3. PC Master (Greece)
    Mar 1, 2012
    Despite the moody atmosphere that is elaborately built and the smart puzzles, knowing that you always have another mediocre battle around the next corner turns the game into a chore with no real incentive. [February 2012]