5.7

1. Jul 21, 2014
    The Dev's seemingly tried to take the best ideas of well known games and mash them together in a hit and miss approach. Bad voice acting and poor music score drags the atmosphere down to a lower notch. Is this game value for money and worthy of a sequel? Maybe...
  2. Jun 30, 2014
    I played this game just because it was free. Now I know that the start of the game was one of the biggest mistakes in my life. Why this game is so hopeless? Because: 1 brainless Al 2 Graphics dates from the PS2 3 Music ... One of the worst soundtracks in gaming history. 4.Playability does not exist. I do not need to exchange more minuses. If the game was not free would get zero.
  3. May 10, 2014
    I was unable to push past around two hours with this game, despite a promising beginning with excellent art direction, seemingly depicting a survival shelter designed during the fashionable sixties or seventies, reminiscent of old TV series like Space 1999, or Blake 7.

Unfortunately the English voice-acting is agonisingly poor, and in places illegible without subtitles due to poor
    quality recordings combined with overbearing background music.

Visuals are adequate, even pretty in places, including that rarity in action-horror - dark rooms are actually dark! Animations, particularly facial animations are extremely stilted and out of date, however.

The combat is the heart of the game, given that even two hours in there seems to be rather a lot of it, and this is what murders the experience for me - fights are simple exchanges of 'block' 'strike', 'block' 'strike' repeated until the enemy turns into a sluggish ragdoll with a snarl or a groan. Repeat ad nauseum. Firearms combat appears to do nothing to alter AI, and merely drills off enemy HP until they either slump, or experience a gory limb removal.

Default movement is a very slow, floating jog, giving the protagonist a manner both camp/effete and slightly creepy. You can slow this down further with a walk button, held constantly rather than toggled, but the walk is a sort of sleepy, unconcerned saunter more suited to a summer evening than a living nightmare. Beyond that is yet another reiteration of the Gears of War sprint, blurring and shaking as you hurl yourself like a charging bull into walls, using the local geometry to steer. Lacking any real physics implementation, you'll simply slide off the richly detailed but utterly static environmental clutter, and your stamina for combat and running will inexplicably recharge within half a second, almost rendering it irrelevant.

What can be said... Some opportunist took a promising indie game and turned it into a low-budget Polish Dead Space with poor localisation and crude features - and I'm talking about the updated version with 'significantly enhanced combat' here - I can't imagine how bad the original must have been.

A tragic waste, an overwhelmingly boring, formulaic copy-cat of a game, that fails to copy the best parts of its predecessors while slavishly mimicking the use of picked up notes (all irrelevant and boring), clunky third person melee combat and bland shooting. Cargo cult game design at its finest.

Play something else, but hope these developers get to use their skills on a better directed project one-day.
  4. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is unplayable because of dull story-line, horrible animations, and low quality textures. Maneuvering is near impossible, and the game in total is truly unrealistic. I do not recommend this game to anyone.
  5. Sep 22, 2013
    I enjoyed this game. Cinematic crafted setting and environment immersive. Do not expect a high Replay value as this game has a linear cinematic direction to it.

The post-apocalyptic environment did not get portrayed as shallow playground for vagabonds (the game actually parodies this with the post nuke holocaust simulator level)- the direction and set design portray an Earth transfored
    into an utterly bizarre and hostile planet.

The game's fighting mechanics were a bit repetitive but I don't expect white-knuckle strategy from AI opponents (regardless of the game) anymore. By playing the game on the "hard" setting the player does not have enough ammo to fight every encounter. the trick to winning "Hard" mode were making the fight-or-flight decisions which I found challenging.

The game was enjoyable overall. At $19 for 8 hours of immersive cinematic game play you can't go wrong.
  6. Sep 11, 2013
    If i want to compare this too a game I would call it a low budget Dead Space.
    It isn't really a horror game but the atmosphere keeps suprsing me.
    The ending was just brilliant such a twist it's sad to hear like 75% off the people here didn't came that far.
    The problem is this games is pretty slow in the story at the beginning and that's why lot of people stop playing after 30 minutes,
    while I actually loved it especially after u get out of the bunker!
    The DLC... Yeah way to hard almost nobody can get past the 1st round I tried 30 minutes without succes.
    I based this on the steam achievements so please make it easyer or just delete it gosh...
  7. Aug 29, 2013
    Doesn't even run. Many people have had this issue and it has gone un-fixed for almost a full year now. Avoid this game as there is a strong chance that you won't even be able to launch it.
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    well, i got it for 2€ and started playing when i was bored. i didnt expect much after i saw the metascore and the bad reviews. to be honest, the graphics look average, even if the game is using the unreal 3 engine, the sounds are often out of sync and the animations are very bad... BUT after playing it a few hours, i have to say its much better than you might think. considering that its regulary sold for only 9,49€ on steam (im saying "only" because ive played much worse, for a lot more money *cough* metro last light *cough*)
    and an indie title, from a small studio-

the level design is interesting, it feels like a mixture of doom 3 and halflife.
    the controls are harder than at other games, but that makes it a challenge, i like it.
    it has some riddles to solve, quicktime moments, is somewhat creepy...

all together i would say that the developers made the best of their limited ressources and created a solid budget game.

for sure worth the price! (ps: there is also a FREE arena dlc)
  9. Aug 2, 2013
    Giving this a 10, because this is the kind of game I want to see made. Is the fighting good? no, that really needed be worked on and less repetitive. The graphics are decent and there were actually a few creepy points in the game which is hard to find these days.

Mainly I want more games that have an interesting and creepy story line that is not cut and dry, most of what I don't like
    about this game could have been solved with a few more developers and a better budget. Turn the difficulty down and play through in a couple of sessions and you will get a good story experience for cheep. Expand
  10. Jul 26, 2013
    This game is bad, poor animations, bad gameplay, HORRIBLE voice acting, dated graphics, don't play this game or you will regret that, i'm telling you!
  11. Mar 3, 2013
    This is not an awful game and I suspect lurking in it somewhere is a good game waiting for a little more developer attention. However I cannot bring myself to like it because everything is just *off*. If you dig through these reviews there are already plenty of people (legitimately) complaining about the story, the combat, the general blandness so I won't rehash those points. What really irritates me is that the game won't leave my desktop alone. Every time I exit Afterfall I have to resize all my windows and move my icons back because the game won't allow to play it in my monitors native resolution. Guys it's 2013; this should not be a problem anymore. And for this I give it a 3 instead of a 5 Expand
  12. Dec 13, 2012
    I have really liked the story, and the mood of the game. It is a great first person shooter - horror story. The music, the sounds and the graphics perfect for the game. It is a long time I have played such a good game.
  13. Dec 9, 2012
    The game is definitely low budget but it comes at a low price so I do not see how so many people are complaining. I have spent more money on many games that are not as good as this. The game does start slow and the controls can be a bit clunky. The hacking and puzzles are rather lame as was the boss fights. That being said, once I got a few chapters into the game, things did get better and it kept my interest. The plot and the atmosphere of the game are good. The graphics are not great but they are pretty decent. Just to give you a reference, the graphics are slightly below those of the more recent Call of Duty games. It seems like the graphics got better and more detailed farther into the game. The game was not too short. I would have preferred having more shooting and less beating things over the head with a stick For an initial retail price of $20, it is a good buy. If you got the game for $1 in the pre-order special, you really lucked out. Expand
  14. Oct 3, 2012
    Un buen juego pero tiene fallas como juego de terror pero aun asi tiene muchas cosas positivas, gráficamente es bastante bueno, el sonido no es de mucho agrado pero es pasable, por ser un juego de bajo presupuesto y ser de una desarrolladora indie, es normal que tenga sus defectos pero en realidad me divertí mucho con afterfall..
  15. Sep 1, 2012
    When Fallout meets Fight Club, and bits and pieces of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Doom, AvP, and Gears of War franchises are thrown in for good measure, you get a slab of festering meat titled Afterfall: InSanity.

I'm not going to rag on the voice acting, because honestly, I've heard worse, and enough people have pointed out the problems. Likewise, the melee combat and shaky camera effect are
    annoying but not a dealbreaker, because it's still manageable.

What makes Afterfall a shoddy game, is that it takes all the juicy bits from other games, and then throws them all together and overcooks them. It just doesn't know what it wants to be. It's got the horror feel down sometimes, even though most of the corridors are more or less exactly the same; you can look down a hallway and almost always predict where the monster is going to jump out and attack you. It then decides to become a puzzle game, with timed sequences with hardly a tutoral, that take you fifteen tries before you realize what the game wants you to do. The second half is strictly firefights, with the occasional "scare mixed in, and poorly executed action sequences littered with shoddy quick time events. It spreads itself too thin, and that ruins most of the game.

Here's the plot summarized: World War 2 ended differently, the cold war **** things up, nuclear war broke out, the world went to hell, you're locked in a shelter, or should I say vault, and when **** hits the fan, you're sent for completely unjustified and dubious reasons into the deep reaches of the shelter in which they've apparently ran out of lightbulbs, armed with a weak pistol and a flashlight that does **** all.

You'll almost never run out of ammo, because you'll never need a gun for the first half of the game, and that's good because every ammunition dispenser you run across is empty. I literally found four that gave me ammunition in the entire game. Despite having a melee inventory slot, only one weapon fits into it, and you'll only have that weapon for ten minutes in the first half hour of gametime. Every other melee weapon has to be dropped when you want to use your gun, and then picked up again when you're finished. That said, the only melee weapon you'll ever need is the fireaxe, everything else it either too slow, or too weak, and the axe is so common in the first half of the game that you'll never need anything else; if there's no fireaxe around, you're almost guaranteed to be entering a gunfight.
    In all, Afterfall doesn't do that much particularly bad, it just doesn't do anything particularly noteworthy, and prefers to float facedown in the shallow pool of mediocrity.
    On a side note, I've noticed more than a few sound bites have been borrowed from the 2010 Aliens vs. Predator, and the entire loading screen - visual effects and music - have been more or less ripped from from Duke Nukem Forever.
  16. Jul 30, 2012
    After installation of the latest patch which gives Enhanced Edition to this game I think this game have a chance to be successful product! :) Check it out!
  17. Mar 14, 2012
    The game is great. Really scary, good, adequate to atmosphere graphic, interesting plot and sound effects. Good piece of survival horror with good plot and enjoyable.
  18. Dec 22, 2011
    Afterfall: InSanity is a good game, but it can't be judged by the same standarts as Call of Duty or Fallout simply because unlikely those games AFI was developed by enthusiasts on a much lower budget. Afterfall: Insanity is a good addition to any action gamerâ
  19. Dec 13, 2011
    Finally a post apocalypse game with some real depth to the story! Ignore all those people giving it a 0 they probably got scared & didnt get past the first 10 mins of the game, the ideas & themes portrayed in this game are certainly more adult than the average mindless FPS (ie: some listening & thinking required, fear of cannibalism helps too!)

The sound effects and music help to create
    a deep atmosphere which adds to the suspense & occasional shock horror. I couldnt put it down until I finished it. My only small moan would be that it ends too soon, the final areas unique gameplay with the shadows & light were fantastic.

Yes it has similar view perspective to Deadspace, yes it has a post apocalypse theme so people will instantly draw parallels between this and Fallout, but to me it actually had more in common with Condemned: Criminal Origins than anything else (because of the melee combat and sudden from the shadows leaps a crazy person armed with a pipe type gameplay).
  20. Dec 9, 2011
    Ok.Ok.Ok. I gave this game a new chance. But`s even more terrible than before. It just doesn`t work. You can see the developers tried an therefore i don`t give it a total zero. Please hire someone who knows things about dramatization (theater or film) Someone who knows how to tell a storyline. Sound and voice are just...........o man......so bad. I`ve tried to like this game (I did) But the only way to like it is to go back to a commodore64 for the next decade and then play this game. Expand
  21. Dec 8, 2011
    Afterfall: InSanity has problems in places, but you can't compare it to Dead Space or Fallout. The game is pretty good as for Indie developer and 100% worth money. Pros: original story, great graphics and music: cons: fails to scare, bad voice acting.
  22. Dec 7, 2011
    Worst game ever! my money aren't worth of it! Story isn't so bad but animations and AI are like from '99. I lost 7h of my life time. I'm waiting for a patch meybe it will repair something...
  23. Dec 2, 2011
    Very bad game I found this game to be pretty disappointing; as I only played about 30 minutes of it and then gave up. The story was uninteresting and bland, the voicing pretty embarrassing and the combat lousy. I really wanted to like this game, but don't go into it expecting anything. BTW I love the Dead Space franchise so don't expect the same game or you WILL be disappointed.
  24. Dec 2, 2011
    I wasn't convinced about buying this game first, but my love to post-apo made me get it. And I didn't waste my money. The graphic look awesome (details are really impressive), music emphasizes the atmosphere of the universe and locations are cool (not so unique, some of them refers to Dead Space). Gameplay is quite ok, but the story is... amazing! The last level **** me up like Inception did. The only really poor thing is animation, they should definitely work on it. Hope to see next game in this universe. Expand
  25. Dec 1, 2011
    graphics is great, the story and gameplay is really sweet in apo-style ! this is a good game for apo-fans. but yeah the cutscenes are horrible. the first segment wasn't that fun for me however after a bit of playing you are going outdoors and this is it ! the story is really keeping you in...
  26. Dec 1, 2011
    I was skeptical about starting an adventure with this game. Now after passing game I can say that this game is worth your money. Animation may not be sensational in this game, but the story is good. This game is for Dead Space, Fallout fans but not only for them.
  27. Nov 28, 2011
  28. Nov 28, 2011
    Game doesn't look bad. But animation is a joke, voice acting is horrible, fighting is bad, oponents are retarded, and cut scenes are making you laugh .. how somebody could give this 9 or 10 is beyond me, probably producers themselves.
  29. Nov 28, 2011
    this game is pretty impressive (graphic looks good, music builds nice atmosphere, character and monster sounds are on average level) besides the cut scenes which are kinda funny.
  30. Nov 28, 2011
    It's not a bad game. Simply put: It's broken. Only part which works is graphics but all the rest is below any standards. You have been warned! Do not buy this!
  31. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is great. It has few cool features that i haven't seen elsewhere (fearlock, shaking hands). Very nice locations and graphics itself. Music, like someone already wrote, does the trick. Another good game from Poland. Worth buying!
  32. Nov 27, 2011
    Why comments of ruby1234 and dino are basically the same? Is this NEG marketing tactic? About Afterfall, well it is not a good game. Bad intro, animation and horrible voice acting. The universe is pretty good ok, but I don't care about the main character. Don't like him and his friends at all. There are many better games available on the market at the moment. I think it's better to play DS1 or 2 once againg than to spend money on Afterfall:Insanity. Expand
  33. Nov 26, 2011
    This is a total rip-off of Fallout and Dead Space franchise. The plot is weak and boring, animations stiff. The game handles really wired, in spite of pretty good controls. Graphics are good use of Unreal Engine 3, but the studio cannot handle it properly, so game sometimes it freezes - always in the same locations, like you are being scanned for radioactive materials (it's also a proof of a rip-off locations when game loads the data). Audio are a two classes below Dead Space, but has it's moments.But in conclusion - don't but this game, it's a total waste of many and the creators had already done some games, but cannot do something really big enough to amaze the crowd. It's stiil too son, or they are just too weak. Afterfall Insanity - waste of many, good graphics only. Expand
  34. Nov 26, 2011
    Like a dead space 2.NEXT Polish super game. I think that the atmosphere in this game does it all. The sound effects are simply amazing and the enemies never stop to surprise me when I am playing
  35. ic1
    Nov 26, 2011
    Afterfall: InSanity originally started as an independent Fallout-like project, through the time it evolved into TPP survival horror. I admit that I am not a big fan of survival horrors and would rather see a post-apocalyptic RPG, but hey, before passing judgments let's try it first.

No big intros, weak cut-scene and you are good to go. The game teaches you rather smoothly how to operate,
    melee, shoot etc. as tries to present the circumstances you are in. Nothing really to catch your attention but as with lots of other games beginnings it not necessarily needs to be a volcano eruption. The bad is that more you are in the game it's not getting any hotter. The play is completely linear and dull. Nothing actually makes your heart beat faster â Expand
  36. Nov 26, 2011
    I think that the atmosphere in this game does it all. The sound effects are simply amazing and the enemies never stop to surprise me when I am playing.
  37. Nov 25, 2011
    very low quality of animation and poorly made as for the technical aspect.
    apart from this, total fallaut rip off , bothing creaitive.

seems like they tried but i didnt work out. lack atmosphere. creature that is supposed to scare, makes you laugh.

add poor voice acting and **** dialoges and it give you the idea of this crap
  38. Nov 28, 2011

1. May 11, 2012
    The mission design is average at best and suffers from repetition. The puzzles are irrelevant and so is the action – mainly thanks to the ridiculous AI.
    Survival horror inspired by classics like Fallout or Stalker can not hide its fan-based roots. With the second-grade visuals, sounds, level design and story it ended way beyond our expectations. [Feb 2012]
    Despite the moody atmosphere that is elaborately built and the smart puzzles, knowing that you always have another mediocre battle around the next corner turns the game into a chore with no real incentive. [February 2012]