6.9

1. Oct 18, 2013
    the game has a pretty interesting premise and the character and art are quite well done but the game play mechanics are just god awful. The game is a strategy tactics game that goes out of it's way to overcomplicated the game which not only frustrates you for the first couple hours you play it's compounded by how ridiculously slow the combat takes. Even with animations and movements offthe game has a pretty interesting premise and the character and art are quite well done but the game play mechanics are just god awful. The game is a strategy tactics game that goes out of it's way to overcomplicated the game which not only frustrates you for the first couple hours you play it's compounded by how ridiculously slow the combat takes. Even with animations and movements off you'll still be wasting several minutes on random mob encounters which are quite numerous not to mention the game has a quest location which also drags in random mobs. Luckily there's an autoplay for the combat which allows you to get by it without torturing yourself but what it ultimately leaves you with is reading a visual novel with large breaks in between to wait through the combat. Expand
  2. Oct 15, 2013
    Truth be told, Agarest isn't bad. It just isn't that good, either. The presentation is dated, but not quite dated enough to conjure up nostalgia. The battle engine is functional, but far from inspired. And the core concept (building a relationship with one of three female companions, which then determines the traits of your main character for the next generation) could be reallyTruth be told, Agarest isn't bad. It just isn't that good, either. The presentation is dated, but not quite dated enough to conjure up nostalgia. The battle engine is functional, but far from inspired. And the core concept (building a relationship with one of three female companions, which then determines the traits of your main character for the next generation) could be really interesting, but instead just feels tacked on as an afterthought.

Bullet point: for $20.00, you can do better.
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    This game is a Hardcore Strategy JRPG, which means it's not for everyone. So if you can't stand turned-based battle systems, pandering anime styles, Japanese audio, reading, or drawn out progression don't bother with this game. These are probably the major instant turn-off. If you like FFTactics you might enjoy this game.

Before I continue, I'd like to say I have played this game for 55

Before I continue, I'd like to say I have played this game for 55 hours on hard and still have not beat it.

About The Game (No Spoilers)
    -Story/Art-
    The Story telling itself is very slow and anime inspired. I personally like to think of it as an anime version of "The Lord of the Ring". The audio is in Japanese, so if you don't like reading subtitles you definitely won't like the story telling. I personally like that it's a Japanese "Lord of the Ring", but I will say the "Lord of the Ring" did it better. Sad to say, this story is not for everyone

The game is full of politics of it's world and a variety of races and enemies. Though, the politics probably could be done better, especially considering how slow the game burns. The story mostly focuses on the main protagonist, and the country politics are just one of many obstacles in his way. I wish I could say how, but I feel that it could have been done better. Perhaps if they gave us more political choices.

The overarching story doesn't have as much to do with particular warring countries as it does with miscellaneous politics of various countries. While the story instantly starts out with a country at war it quickly changes focus to the promise the main character makes, where he gives his life and the lives descendants to another character in exchanged for being rescued. Then throughout the generations you are fulfilling that promise and you need to pick a wife so that the next generation can fulfill his destiny.

To be honest, while every choice you make effect who likes you, there isn't that much dating-sim in the story. The artist uses a style that panders to the horney Japanese teenage boy, but it doesn't really shove that much of it in your face out side of some costume design. Out of the about 40 hours I've played WITHOUT GRINDING, I've maybe seen 5 minutes of cut scenes that shoved ecchi in my face

-Game play-
    I can break the game down into 5 parts: the over-world, combat, Dungeons (quests), town menu, and camp menu

=Over-world=
    The over-world has two purposes I've found. One, to progress the story, and two to have set enemies that you can farm from for particular items and objectives. Each area on the map takes up one turn, and the number of turns you take effects the game. I have yet to figure out how exactly for myself, but apparently it can effect the ending you get.

=Dungeons (Quests)=
    These are area where you can grind without increasing your turn count. They are in a 3D environment, and each one has significance to the lore. These are also the only place where you can find free loot and find certain monsters. For some reason the game calls them "Quests" but don't have quests in them.

=Combat=
    Combat is a simplistic turn based strategy, but if simplistic and turn based meant bad then chess would be bad. Like in most strategy games of this kind, each unit you control has a certain amount of actions he/she can do, and take its own turn pending on the AGI Stat. There is no plain "Attack" Action. You Equip each character with "Skills" and each skill takes up actions. Where the Combat really shines is in the variety of "Skills: and the ability to combine skill, especially of those of other characters. If you position your characters correctly you can use multiple characters on the same turn. Every time a character does something or is hit, it gains "SP" and SP is needed for some special attacks. The biggest down side is the amount of time it takes to execute your turn

There is an Auto-Combat option if you Press "Q" during combat, but I don't recommend it unless you're grinding in a very easy Dungeon. The plus side is that it makes decisions faster than you can navigate the battle menu.

=Town Menu=
    Here is where you can buy and make various items and skills. If you like getting loot and making stuff out of it there is a lot of that, and it's one of the stronger parts of the game. For most things, you have to make it at least once before you can just buy it.

=Camp menu=
    Basic menu where you manage your characters, items, and skills. There is a lot to manage in my opinion.

THE BAD (Art is personal preference)
    The worst thing about this game is it's pacing, the fighting takes a long time and there is more story progression than there is story. The game is begging you to use it's DLC and the DLC makes the game way too easy. On top of that, the act of grinding is very time consuming. The game Vanilla does not respect your time, on hard at least. Port problems, made for console, not much Ghostlight could do to better the port. Read manual from steam page for controls.

THE GOOD
    Great depth to the story, combat, and items
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    we need to j-rpg like agarest: generations of war for pc.This game is one of the best pc j-rpg's.final fantasy vii is other one.
    great art style, cool gameplay, good soundtrack.let's play AGoW
  5. Aug 22, 2014
    The game is not very good. Its basically a dating sim mixed with strategy and rpg. It has an interesting idea of going through generations of a family but its not done very well. Story is mediocre and combat gets boring, tedious and repetitive fairly quickly.
  6. Sep 12, 2014
    despite its generally low critic score, this game is decent and can be quite fun, especially for those who like the turn-based combat-strategy games and JRPGs (a la Orge Battle/FF). there is a fair amount of diversity in how you spec your hero and party. the game mechanics such as the upgrade system can be a little confusing and clunky in the beginning but do not really detract that muchdespite its generally low critic score, this game is decent and can be quite fun, especially for those who like the turn-based combat-strategy games and JRPGs (a la Orge Battle/FF). there is a fair amount of diversity in how you spec your hero and party. the game mechanics such as the upgrade system can be a little confusing and clunky in the beginning but do not really detract that much after a while. the combat/battle system is pretty much usual JRPG/turn-based fare but the linked combos do make them somewhat interesting. there probably needs to be a little bit more work on balance (some skills/moves are ridiculously overpowered while other seriously pale in comparison). the romance/relationship factor can be appealing to those who like those sort of things. the 'generation' concept is interesting and somewhat innovative. the big down-side to the game for completionists like me is that if you want to try to achieve the 'true end' (but don't want to do it through multiple play-throughs or through new-game+) then you have a limited time (i.e moves in game) to explore/hunt/capture/grund. all in all, a decent game with many layers and complexities. Expand
  7. Apr 10, 2014
    I love JRPGs, but this game just feels pointless.

Pros- *Good combat system. It is based entirely on grid type turn based combat, and does a competent job at it. *Crafting system is deep if not confusing. Why should I level up a dagger if I just want to remove it's blade for a separate recipe? *Characters are likeable for the most part. Some characters do however fall completely
    I love JRPGs, but this game just feels pointless.

Pros-
    *Characters are likeable for the most part. Some characters do however fall completely flat. The is especially true of the Gen 2 player character. He has the personality of a brick with Downs.
    *The capture system is oddly really deep. Sadly because of the out of place "true ending" and turn counter it falls by the wayside if you plan on following the "true path". It also isn't tutorialized well at all, and is way too complex.

Cons-
    *Starting at the second generation the game becomes incredibly padded. I mean REALLY padded. The game finds any excuse to put you into a 5-6 room dungeon. Some dungeons with no boss, and the groundbreaking challenge of calmly walking to the exit 6 rooms away. It also throws detours at you at every turn.
    *The turn counter is a terrible idea. This game really wants you to take your time, and embrace the crafting and capture system, but you can fail to get special cutscenes, and miss the true ending if you do stop to take your time.
    *Decisions do not just have a moral or romantic impact. Making the wrong decision can even prevent you from meeting people. This is NOT telegraphed at all. Unless you read a guide you would never know how or when you screwed up. They aren't even important decisions. The decisions that cause you to miss people are minor mundane decisions like which fork in the road to take.
    *The ending to every generation is LAME, and kills any sense of climax or accomplishment. Every ending is death, and a lame, unexplained, deus ex machina death too. Every ending is the same. Congrats! You are da bestest hero. Now pick your soulmate so we can kill both of you.

1. Jun 2, 2014
    If simply tossing many hours at a game is all that is necessary to deem it worthwhile, Agarest certainly qualifies. Then again, I could take a similar amount of time to watch videos of stupid things people have uploaded to YouTube and probably learn something useful, a claim Agarest cannot make.
  2. Oct 31, 2013
    Often, even if a game is flawed, there will still be an audience who can appreciate what it has to offer and look past its flaws. I would be hard-pressed to identify any such audience for Agarest: Generations of War.
  3. Oct 28, 2013
    Agarest: Generations of War isn't a bad game, it just lacks the courage to be clear in what it wants to be.