6.7

1. Oct 4, 2013
    If you are hardcore into strategy jrpgs then you will definitely like this, heavy on story and a good battle system, you will spend many hours playing this. And with difficulty options even casual players can speed through the battles to get through the story. The story system is like a typical Japanese Visual Novel, with a battle system similar to other grid based strategy rpgs. The PC port seems to have been done pretty well. mouse and keyboard controls are good, and you can still play the game via controller. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    To start off with, this is a Jrpg through and through; and is regrettably thus the focal point of a lot of negativity on Metacritic. Low scores based on "voice acting in Japanese" or "Old plot devices and predictable story lines" or "un-innovative gameplay" .

Prior to my review, I would like to debunk some of the negativity; "IF" you like j-rpgs, then you will find no fault with this
    title; the story is your tried and true save-the-world montage, however, a old story concept can be just fine as long as it is told RIGHT, and it is my opinion the writers did a fine job of integrating previously known plot devices and character personalities and making for a enjoyable experience. Despite it feeling glossed over at points (due to it taking place over many generations), there is a undercurrent through the whole story that adds depth and feeling to the long term characters. For example, the game feels episodic; but you can tell from their behavior how the characters grow and change from beginning to end; they are not as two dimensional as some characters have been in other stories.
    Also, as an afterthought the translated script is more or less accurate (some inconsistencies, but nothing major), but my favorite aspect is that conversations are mature and thoughtful, some philosophy mixed in at some points and humor at other points, but no-head-slamming-against-a-wall derp conversations that tend to occur in a lot of official translations (NA translators trying to appeal to younger, broader, audiences etc).

Diverging storyline based on choices, light/dark focus, provide for multiple playthroughs and provide some sense of "control" to the story (limited, but still some to an extent).

Gameplay is your standard fair nothing great, nothing horrible there is a large selection of skills, all with their own animations and can be combo'd and many turn into group skills etc, making for a diverse experience. For those that can't stand animations (esp. when you seen them a hundred times) you can turn them off to speed up the game play. The battle maps offer some variety through positioning of characters as each character has a tactical formation they can have others join in on (to creat combo attacks and chains) based on where on the grid you place your party members.

Not as polished as the Disgaea series, but comparing the gameplay of Agerest to Disgaea is just unreasonable as one is a accomplished developer with many big sales hits under their belt, whereas
    Agarest: Generations of War was the founding title for the devs; later titles show clearer progress, from the imports I have played.

But that is not to say the combat is by any means poor in Agarest: Generations of War, it is intelligent, tactical, and dynamic you need to think, plan, and adapt to every fight and unlike what people claim, grinding is not required to see the ending(s) of the game its all about placement, members, and skills chosen.

As for audio and visuals there are over 100 unique cgs, diverse sprite emotions for every character (the portraits that represent the characters), and you can tell effort was put into every character concept. Music is engaging, and effort was put into giving the tracks proper ambiance and feeling and not super-annoying the way a lot of other j-rpgs are (they mix up the battle musics so its not the same thing over and over). Voice acting is rich and emotional they feel "in character" and not just rehearsed lines, mind you these voice actors have tremendous experience under their belts from prior projects. (though bear in mind if you're a "English first" kind of person, you may have greivances but at least, everything but combat voices are subbed unlike what some other reviewer here wrote.

An amusing concern/gripe is the scantly-clad girls and innuendo, as there are many people that label this an "eroge" or "hentai" game. seriously? would this make it to Steam or port over to PS3 if this had "that" level of adult content? Get a brain people. The artstyle is a sales ploy through and through and personally i'm enough of a perv to appreciate those half-naked anime girls. :P (not just for horney teenagers!) Ultimately it's up to personal taste if your a prude or delicate sensibilities are offended by sexualized artstyles, move along.

The next point for me is there are multiple endings (varied, not cookie-cut like ME3 heh), and a "true" ending all based on wives married, the blance between light and dark by the end of the game- and other factors. And while each generation is fairly linear there are branching choices that add to replayability for new game+'s. And the obvious mechanic of creating your linage, and the skills/appearance they share amongst the parents.

Those are the core points I can think of at the moment; as for why this game should be considered more favorably; if you enjoy j-rpgs, I believe you will have fun with this game.

I'm glad I discovered this gem on Steam and hope they bring the rest of the serie
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    Good storyline, great battle system, and addictive gameplay, it's what shapes it up to be a great JRPG. I started playing and I immediately loved it. For those people who complain about all Japanese audio, stop complaining because what do you expect from a Japanese RPG? Sure there could be translations, but it adds to the mood... I mean, in my opinion. There's always Japanese class (Kidding). There may be better ones out there, but this one is close to be among the best, and it's certainly a great pick for any JRPG or RPG fans in general. Expand
  4. Oct 5, 2013
    If your looking for something to take with on a vacation, a.. Long vacation, Then this is it, This JRPG is in a league of its own. Every detail is finely crafted, from the story to the characters, to the setting and the features. It stands out as this year's finest JRPG.
  5. Oct 6, 2013
    I was actually very impressed with this game. The storyline is quite solid, the game play is fun. Its gripping and has enough intricate detail to keep your interests to the end of the game. Well worth the pick up.
  6. Nov 19, 2013
    I've been playing Agarest for only a few hours so far, but it's enough for me to decide I really like this game.

Agarest: Generations Of War seems to be all about the tactics, pretty much like some of the Shining Force games, specifically the game(s) for the GameGear and SegaCD (partly the same games packed differently). It means that generally, the game is linear. While you can move
    around and go back and fourth between locations you've already visited and cleared, it's not like you need to explore territories, pick up battles or find treasures or clues, with the exception of the specific locations with that exact purpose. Coming up on mere 6 hours in-game I've only come across one such location, but it's safe to assume there are more.

The back-story does seem rich and deep, although I admit I'm still kind of confused about what's what. There's that Light Darkness gauge, which is still a mystery for me.

The graphics and animations are sweet, japanese style. One thing that bothers me is that the characters' lips don't move when they speak. Also, the voice acting is all in japanese. The written text in all in english, though (obviously).

The battle system looks complex and deep, yet easy enough to learn (there quick and easy tutorials).

All in all, the game looks good, so far. If you like Japanese Tactical RPGs, you might want to get this one, it definitely looks promising. I'll update this review as I keep playing and have a better perspective.
  7. Jan 15, 2014
    Agarest: Generations of War is a great Jrpg game that has many different aspects in it, It has has strategy, puzzle solving, dating sim, and a great battle system. But if you do not like Jrpgs this game is not for you.
  8. Feb 5, 2014
    It´s a good game.
    Tons of features from jRPG over dating sim to Pokemon. It has so much stuff in it and plenty of good characters.
    The only negative aspect of the game would be the repetitive onworld battles imo.
    Move one step on the worldmap and you have to fight in order to advance the story.
    You could let them autobattle but doing so can result to one of your party members dieing
    unless you use dlc gear.
    The story can also be a bit cheesy at some times.
  9. Mar 30, 2014
    This is by far my favorite game on the PC, i logged 216 hours in it in the first month of its release. This is a game where you can shape your own here---- the game goes through a generation system, at the end of each generation you can marry one girl and the girl you marry and her affection for you determines everything about the child, from the hair and armor color to the stats and even the weapon they carry. It plays alot like Fire Emblem, FFTactics Advance Wars and games like that. if you like jrpgs i gurantee you will love this game. If you dont like jrpgs, avoid this like the plague, because you will hate this game. (i have logged 216 hours in it and am only on the 4th generation out of 5.) Expand

1. Oct 31, 2013
    Often, even if a game is flawed, there will still be an audience who can appreciate what it has to offer and look past its flaws. I would be hard-pressed to identify any such audience for Agarest: Generations of War.
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    Agarest: Generations of War isn't a bad game, it just lacks the courage to be clear in what it wants to be.
  3. Oct 17, 2013
    All in all, Agarest Generations of War is pretty bland, generic, and average. Factoring in pure gameplay, there are plenty of better JRPG to sample, and, hopefully, a brighter future for the genre above and beyond what this PC port would illuminate.