7.3

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Still one of the best PC games in the world. Might be the best RTS of all time. People are crying about the HD upgrade because they don't understand that its simply a small graphical update so it can play on today's larger computer monitors. The game will NOT look better than it did 10 years ago, but games like this stand the test of time regardless of graphics.

Sooo much better than
    Starcraft. This game requires strategy, while Starcraft is just a real time mass (whatever unit). Expand
  2. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Microsoft is probably running out of ideas so they thought of re-making an old game to get some money.
    I know it is a good game, but I thought an HD remake would have better graphics. However, the campaign was all-good, and some levels were long. However, I see a change in the cliffs, water, and fire.
    There were a few things I did not like, and that was with the El Cid Dead body in the final level; they should have at least made a new died character instead of re-using the alive model.
  3. May 10, 2013
    This is a great game! My favorite strategy of all time! I can't understand how many people speak against it... Some saying it's the same game, well what did you expect? It's written in a ancient program language, it was so hard for the developers to even do what they did and make it compatible with all the windows versions. Second of all, if it was changed, the same people would have been saying "ah it's not the same, they ruined it"... just the common trolls in the internet.. I am really happy that they did not change this classic in the strategy genre. For me the expansion The conquerors changed the original age of empires game too much and I was not happy with this, but I accepted it, and I'm really happy they did not do this again. For everyone who loves age of empires, and want to play it with players, I recommend buying it. It has 4-5k players in steam all the time, and it's great! it has a workshop, where you can change some of the skins like farms, mines, terrain, etc. Thank you for bringing my favorite strategy back to life!!!! Full respect!!! Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2013
    I am unsure why so many people are so negative about this game. It had more than a few updates, albeit calling it HD was a bit uncalled for.

For starters, I don't know how many of you tried to use your old AOE II disks recently but...unless you find a user-made patch on the internet, they don't WORK on modern machines. They also increased the resolution the game can run at, and
    reenabled internet play on AOE II, since GameSpy or whoever else originally hosted multiplayer connections does not do so, and has not for years.

Finally, they added steam support to the game, so that using "Join Game" from the friends menu would pop right into the game, which was a nice feature, and added Steam Workshop integration, which is AMAZING in comparison to the old style of manually installing files, finding them on different sites, etc.

Now that it is out of the way, let me move on to the actual review...

The game is exactly how it was, but with fixes to work on modern PC's which is what I wanted...but just not fro $20. It seems like a massive rip-off that they are selling a game that has a few tweaks and modernizations for the same price. $10 would have been a much more reasonable price, and I bet less people would be pissed off if it were re-sold for that price with the fixes included.

Overall, I liked AOE II when I was younger, and while due to their fixes I can play it on modern PC's...the price is very exorbitant, and it feels like they are just trying to use my nostalgia to make a quick buck. The game itself is perfectly fine however.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    Age of Empires II: HD brings back a heap of Nostalgia to me, playing this game reminds me of the days when graphics wasn't an issue, i like how they have kept the sprite style, some people are against that I know, some think it's for the better that they left it, others despise it probably just to try and get a tear-jerk'er, who knows, I don't care the game in my book is still 100% amazing.
  6. Apr 24, 2013
    Age of Empires II was and still is easily one of the best RTS titles of its time, rivaled only by Starcraft. Even after 14 long years, AoE II is still very playable. HD Edition offers nothing more than a way for Windows 7 users to play the game in full 1080p+ without visual glitches and uses steam integration to make connecting to other players easier. I enjoy the fact the title was untouched gameplay-wise, because I felt the original game was already very complete and well-rounded.

There was definitely some missed potential here... but that's not what I expected anyways. I just wanted a 1080p version of my favorite RTS game. Worth every penny.
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a great Strategy game just for $20 dollar's and if you are a long time fan of the game then i recommend because the game is really fun and feels just like AoE2 just like back then. And with gamesworkshop you can even get new maps new game modes and texture packs.
  8. Apr 9, 2014
    Despite how bad of a Metascore this got, great game. Great game indeed. The new textures are nice, and its so much easier to play with your friends now, with the old website being down and all. I absolutely LOVED the original, and I think this is a very good 'remake', if that's what I should call it. Good job, developers; go get yourselves a cold beer and pat yourselves on the back. You deserve it. Expand
  9. Aug 23, 2013
    Now most of the bugs have been fixed, this is a very good game, definitely worth the money. Compared to the original, it has some nicer textures (e.g. fog of war, water), Steam leaderboards, achievement, and a good multiplayer community. Patches are still being released, so I recommend it;.
  10. Dec 24, 2013
    Yes, when the game was first released, I'd say the $20 price point was absolutely not worth it. Now, the game has been updated a bit, and there are several reasons to buy the game when it comes on sale at the very least. One being the multiplayer support. Playing multiplayer matches where you can gain skill points or lose skill points based on wins/losses provides a much needed element to the game. Another reason to grab this game is the steam workshop support. There are many fantastic graphics mods that can be choosen, installed, and working flawlessly on any game mode, online or off. I bought the game on sale (its on sale all the time) for 4.99, and have already put 100 hours of gameplay into it. Online play is great fun. Expand
  11. Apr 10, 2013
    Well This game deserves to be a 9/10. Why? Lets go over with the basics: Age of Empires II was at a score of 92% while the Conquerors expansion is about 88% in total reviews. This game includes the actual Ages of Kings as well as the Conquerors. The gameplay in fact is the same as having those two games (nothing new except for the 500 population cap, widescreen support, Steam Workshop, Steam servers and leaderboard). The water, fire, cliffs, trees and effects have changed in order to make the game more HD. Single player is still the same but for the multiplayer, it was fixed before (last time, the players were out of sync). Well, this game deserves a gold. Expand
  12. Apr 15, 2013
    Age of Empires 2 was my favorite game growing up as a kid. I was so excited when I heard that it was coming to Steam with modern resolution support, matchmaking multiplayer, and steam achievements. $20 may seem like a lot because the game came out a long time ago, but it was updated and had a lot of work done to work on modern computers. $20 is nothing and seems like a fair price. I love this game, already dumped 50+ hours into it in the last 2-3 weeks. Expand
  13. Apr 29, 2013
    Lots of people are giving this game negative reviews because they are saying that this is exactly the same as the original. However, I am going to judge this as a separate game. The gameplay itself is extremely good, and the graphics are fine. The steam workshop support is nice. There are a few bugs, but I imagine that they will be fixed.
  14. Jun 9, 2013
    Nostalgia I always loved AoE II back in time. I think this AoE II HD Edition is a great rework of that great game. Why did you (people) judged the game before it was out? I had no problems with it, I loved it. Steam Workshop, better Multiplayer (The ranking system could be better, they are working on it!), remastered textures, more beautiful water (I liked that, my favourite improvement :D), resolution support to very high (I've seen someone who played it on 5 monitors), Steam Achievements. Others said it's full of bugs. But it isn't!!! I bought the game yesterday, no bugs or any problems at all so far (I played Singleplayer and Multiplayer, not for a single time). I think the 68 Metascore is too severe. It's much better than that. And the most important thing: THEY ARE WORKING ON IT! It's version 2.3, 2.4 is on the way, it will come out in 2-3 days. I recommend this game to anyone who played AoE 10-15 years ago! Expand
  15. Oct 28, 2013
    Of course the game is don't have that much new in it, it is called "AOE2HD Edition" because it is just HD of AOE2. But think about what the game have, much better matchmaking, so that people can play online without a worry in the world. And that is something I personally are very glad for, since I don't want to experience something like Crusader Kings 2 matchmaking/creating games online again. And we got the workshop, which have made people making mods again for the game, making the game better or just simply more fun with taunt packs. It is very well made, and I am glad that they didn't change much. It was good as it is. And now they are even giving out the "Forgotten Empires" expansion pack. Which is even more great news, since that just shows that they are continuing to improve the game. Just like the patches that we have gotten lately. Expand
  16. Mar 10, 2014
    Age of Empires is the best game i have played so far. Why ? The replay value is almost unlimited. I've been playing on and off since 1999 and i still learn new tricks after all those years. In random map match there are many ways to play, every game feels diferent, specially in team games (team games demand so much strategy), if you like single player, the campaigns are great. I understand some players don't like AOE. It's easy to learn and very hard to master. Some people think its slow because they don't know how to take advantage of each second of the game (exploring, scouting, balancing economy, planning strategys, placing buildings in the best way possible, micromanagementing economy and army). StarCraft is more like Checkers, Age of Empires is more like Chess. AOE focus a lot more on strategy. I like the first AOE a lot. AOE 2 (AOC) fixed lot of bugs and added cool recorded game option. in 2008 AoE 2 lost official multiplayer support, AoE 2 HD is the chance to revival this great game with a new multiplayer support and some new fixes. If you are a RTS fan you can't miss this game. Expand
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    This was amazing at the time the original released. The thing is, that hasn't changed. The game-play is that of a classic, simple RTS. Yes there are bugs, but the game isn't out yet, and they are being fixed.

The title is a bit misleading however. I would recommend it be changed to AoE Steam Edition, because the steam functionality is much sweeter than the improved graphics, but
    that's just my opinion.

If you are just looking for a fun game to play with friends, or a competitive RTS that isn't a Starcraft title, I would recommend this.
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    I played Age of Empires II last time, few years ago. What changed in HD Edition? Almost, nothing! Graphics, is not main thing in strategy games, but now, it became better. Only 4 resource icons became little bit unusual. I loved this game when played it first time, and now I feel the same, playing Age of Empires II: HD Edition! In map editor, nothing changed, still good for creating maps. Online gameplay still not good, always playing with: rushers, destroyers and as always, people with high ping... Main thing that I love in this game is: Nothing changed, only textures, added good soundtrack. Everyone wants same game with better textures: here it is! I love this game, playing for days! Expand
  19. Apr 9, 2013
    To start of this review, the score I would like to give is a 9. I give a 10 to compensate for people who judge before a game is even out. For the HD part: they managed to up the resolution to max and also retexture a 14 year old engine, which is pretty impressive in my opinion. Regarding the framedrops: when we got the privilege to play the game before it is officially out doesn't mean they will have every bug fixed, otherwise they could just release it for everyone at that time. As soon as they heard about this problem the devs posted on multiple multimedia sites and their own site that they are working on the problem right now. The game has been out for a few minutes now while people know that the devs are doing their best to work on the issues, so please show some patience. The real addition of this however is the online. The servers for the original AOE II were pulled long ago, and now we have new servers to play this still awesome game online with friends. Oh, and did I mention steam workshop? This means that we will see a lot more mods to keep te game alive even longer. All in all, a great idea worked out great, with some bugs at the start. It's also a nice way to show that for some games it doesn't matter how old they are, it's all about the gameplay, just like how you don't care about graphics when playing a cardgame. Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2013
    The Little Mod That Could.
    A Franchise Refurbished, Yet a Missed Opportunity.

The age of empires series is one of fame. After 13 years it can still be purchased (along with its expansion, The Conquerors) at Wal-Mart and Office Depot. This "new" title is an attempt at sprucing up one of the most beloved games of the franchise. It is amazingly rare to see an old property being brought
    back to life and updated, especially by a parent company that is only looking forward to the next big buck, and are willing to drop any title not making 500% profit (AOE Online was scrapped after a year in the wild, and much needed updates to many games still hang in limbo at EA). Only the bigwigs know what made them bring this one back, but we are glad to see some dust wiped off of our past every once in a while. Developer "Hidden Path" was contracted to shine up the series fav and bring it into the new age of gaming, they fixed important things and they didn't fiddle around where it wasn't needed, but they missed a couple of points that would have made it into a new age RTS diamond.

First of all, I must thank hidden path for finally raising the unit cap, but why only 500? While it is a good 2.5x higher than before, our machines are 250x more powerful than the Pentium II 200mhz it was originally designed for. I can only guess that much of the core engine remains as it was, and 500 was the highest they could go without breaking it. Even though the cap has been raised, you can still only select 20 units at a time. Was it something that was overlooked? not likely. Here is another notch in the theory of a stretched engine. They just couldn't do more without overhauling the back end.

While we are on the graphics, The reason it has HD in the title is the ability to hit 1920x1080, (and beyond for multi monitor rigs) whereas the original topped out at 1024x768. I agree with the general consensus in that the overhauled building and unit models are amazing, but once again the elderly engine comes through showing us no shadows, no zoom, and no visual effect updates. These are an almost standard feature of today's even bargain bin games that they missed completely. Does it detract from gameplay? Not really. Could they have spent a little more time bringing the graphics engine into this decade without effecting gameplay? yes.

The multiplayer. What can I say here? Game Zone worked (kinda) back in the day, but thankfully we have learned from those early days and have integrated the game wholly into Steam's online network with only a few launch bugs and some early lag issues (to be continued). What this means is a front row ticket to a beautifully seamless multiplayer before-game matching experience, but completely removes the LAN option that, like me, so many young geeks had permanently set up in their basements just for this. Inclusion with the Workshop will make mod and map finding a breeze, and I believe the good outweighs the bad here, but somehow there is still a bad taste somewhere in my mind from losing our offline multiplayer. (single play is still allowed offline).

The music score has been redone, but I can still pound the number keys for WOLOLOOO and "I Need Wood". No complaints there.

All-in-all it was well worth the $12 preorder, and it is the authentic Age Of Kings/Conquerors experience, but the lack of improvements to the gameplay, and the surface improvement to the graphics makes this game feel more like a decent mod than a blockbuster.

(For further fiddling- the mod "Forgotten Empires" does everything this HD remake does, plus adds hours of single player campaigns, and a good dozen fixes)
  21. Apr 9, 2013
    Great game since 1999. ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
  22. Jul 14, 2013
    Age of Empires HD is great because it is now on steam which makes it easyier to play multi-player and still experience the classic original components of the game which make it so worth while. BTW do any of you have a monk.. need a monk, rogan. LOL it still cracks me up yer way you should see the other guy".
  23. Jul 27, 2013
    excellent game, i appreciate that it was relaunched in hd so i can revive the moments playing on line. the only thing i dont like too much is that the LAN was eliminated and you need to purchase a game for any of your LAN friends, but that is normal this days...
  24. Dec 4, 2013
    An excellent game! I can't really add to what some of the other positive reviews are saying: It's classic, endless playability, yet quickly becomes familiar and easy to improve your performance. It's an incredibly satisfying game to play, and the option of allying with other players and combining your empires, armies and tactics is so fun. The random maps are all unique and cool to explore and use geography to your advantage. The economy military balance is extremely intriguing as well.

If you've played the original, it is not any different except some of the graphics are smoother, the max pop cap is at 500, and there is support for online multiplayer and a thriving community both in-game and in steam workshop.

Cons: There is an annoying unit selection limit, (like 30 units?) and the continuity when playing multiplayer online is dependent on everyone having a fast connection. If even one player has a slow connection or slow computer, the game will lag very badly, especially when many units are on the map. Even with adequate connection speeds, I wouldn't recommend setting the pop cap much over 300 in a 6 to 8 player game.

Redeeming fact: They are working on patches and continuing support for the game. Playability and technical issues have been improved and will hopefully continue to improve.
  25. Dec 6, 2013
    Hidden Path has done an excellent job bringing an approx. 15 year old game engine up to date. The game is very stable and is being updated regularly. Excellent choice, especially considering the price.
  26. Dec 12, 2013
    Even after a decade this game is a master piece.I recommend it to anyone who loves RTS games.As for the hd version,it's not much of a difference except the fact that structures has been redesigned to look better.Anyway if you ask me the game is worth it and I think you should buy it.
  27. Jan 6, 2014
    This game is a must-have for RTS players. It is a very well made strategy game which is pretty much the same as the older version.
    I don't understand the ratings saying that nothing was changed, when if there were changes there would be hate on that. The reason why this game came out with a HD version was because a lot of people loved the game. Not for there to be changes.
  28. Feb 18, 2014
    Awesome game, being away from it for sometime one forget how great it is. I will continue playing this for years once again. There is only one real competitor for this game and thats Starcraft. Both are great but in different ways.
  29. Mar 11, 2014
    Age of Empires II HD is a fantastic game. The best RTS ever created. I give 10 for graphics 10 for gameplay 10 for fun. I love this game ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
  30. Mar 13, 2014
    I don't know what people were expecting. It's an HD port of the greatest game of all time. They didn't add anything new (initially) because there was nothing that had to be added. With the Forgotten, easier matchmaking, and wider screen sizes: the game has surpassed its original. Now that we're a year past the release, they've fixed virtually every crippling bug and even released an exclusive scenario.

I can understand the metacritic rating at the terrible half-assed release, but the team has fixed all those errors at this point. AoE2 has truly aged like fine wine. And with beautiful 2D graphics, a top tier soundtrack, a wonderful comfy feel, and infinite replayability: Even the HD version can't ruin the king's spot at the top of all games.

Mixed emotions, overall. On the one hand we have the same graphics, not at all improved. On the other, Steam offers functional multiplayer and workshop support, that breathe life into an old game. [May 2013]
  2. May 13, 2013
    Let me make a list of all the changes introduced in the HD version of Age of Empires II - higher resolution. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.77]
  3. May 5, 2013
    Unfortunately Age of Empires II HD isn't a very impressive update. It disappoints graphically and not much has been done to improve or modernize it. The gameplay is still strong though, and Age of Empires II still shows how balanced and detailed strategy games can be. With the addition of the Steam Workshop there's enough potential here for the game to be given a new look. Too bad this is left up to the players though.