7.6

1. Mar 29, 2016
    I never really played AoE2 much. After the re-release on Steam I noticed a friend had the game and purchased it to challange him. So did my brothers and other friends. Many LAN party's and online plays later I can say the game is still well balanced and with many new civ's maps and an active modding community. I've got 600+ hours on Steam, but that will climb rapidly in the years to come.I never really played AoE2 much. After the re-release on Steam I noticed a friend had the game and purchased it to challange him. So did my brothers and other friends. Many LAN party's and online plays later I can say the game is still well balanced and with many new civ's maps and an active modding community. I've got 600+ hours on Steam, but that will climb rapidly in the years to come. AoE2HD revived the classic from 16 years ago (1998!) and gives it a home on Steam for decades to come. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2016
    HD remake of the best strategic game ever. There are not many major changes, just addition of HD resolution and few civilisations. There are some bugs and framedrops. Finally there is a large online community and you can easily find players online. In overall I am satisfied with this game.
  3. Feb 12, 2016
    Still holds up well and a blast to play, even 16 years later. Factions are varied and the diversity in playstyles is great. Still looks decent graphically. My favorite of the series.
  4. Dec 26, 2015
    A very good RTS/City Building/Human Management game. You have wide selection of start-up nations/groups to pick from and are not restricted doing anything you can have a huge population, city, etc. If it goes on sale again for a few dollars it's worth it. Also it has a lot of mod support which is a huge plus.
  5. Dec 24, 2015
    Overrated game, I barely liked it in the past, why would I like it now. They added HD to the name, which means they added slightly higher resolution textures which still look like **** Besides the fact that you can make unique units for every faction, I don't see anything good about this game. You want an actual strategy game where units aren't completely retarded, play Stronghold CrusaderOverrated game, I barely liked it in the past, why would I like it now. They added HD to the name, which means they added slightly higher resolution textures which still look like **** Besides the fact that you can make unique units for every faction, I don't see anything good about this game. You want an actual strategy game where units aren't completely retarded, play Stronghold Crusader for RTS and TotalWar series for RTS/actual empire/cities management.

I really tried to like this game, but I couldn't. Seeing units run after enemy cavalry like idiots, just makes you wanna burn your PC or switch to consoles, to play idiotic games, on an idiotic platform.
  6. Nov 20, 2015
    Age of Empires 2: HD Edition is exacly what you would exept it to be, its a remake of the original Age of Empires 2. AoE 2 HD adds support for mods and a new multiplayer, witch is a great thing since the original games'es multiplayer servers have been closed down. AoE 2 HD can also be put fullscreen 16:9 and also features two kinds of choises for the AI: Original AI and just AI, witch is aAge of Empires 2: HD Edition is exacly what you would exept it to be, its a remake of the original Age of Empires 2. AoE 2 HD adds support for mods and a new multiplayer, witch is a great thing since the original games'es multiplayer servers have been closed down. AoE 2 HD can also be put fullscreen 16:9 and also features two kinds of choises for the AI: Original AI and just AI, witch is a great thing since the original AI is over 10 years old and need updating. Is it worth buying? Well, the graphics arent that good, but its a big improvement over the original, if you would compare them right now, witch would be unfair since the original came out over 10 years ago. Buy it. Expand
  7. Nov 12, 2015
    El mejor juego de estrategia hasta el momento para mi,muchas civilizaciones,cada una con sus edificios,campañas excelentes,lo único que le falto fue la variedad de unidades,aun así sigue siendo uno de mis juegos favoritos.
    Posdata:Se merecia 90 :"c
  8. Nov 12, 2015
    Great game,
    Great game,
  9. Nov 6, 2015
    This is the best RTS ever, simple as that. There are so many possible strategies and possibilities for epic comebacks that you never get enough of it. Im not giving a 10 because i still think it needs some proper balance between civilizations and it doesnt make too much sense having japanese swordmen looking like a bunch of french folk. But still, this game is the best since 1997.
  10. Oct 16, 2015
    Its really insulting. Buy old AOE /some collector version with 1+2 and datadasics/ and forget about this cash grab. It looks worse than the original, music is weirdly increasing volume when it wants. With better resolution it just look bad, blurred or something. Old version is crisp, still great looking game even at 1024x768 resolution. I just uninstalled it from my steam and install oldIts really insulting. Buy old AOE /some collector version with 1+2 and datadasics/ and forget about this cash grab. It looks worse than the original, music is weirdly increasing volume when it wants. With better resolution it just look bad, blurred or something. Old version is crisp, still great looking game even at 1024x768 resolution. I just uninstalled it from my steam and install old original. Its working fantastic on W10, much satisfied than with this "hd" rerelease. Very sad, I even bough this hd datadisc, which is another insult of releasing some old mod. Expand
  11. Oct 12, 2015
    This is simply the best real-time strategy game of all time. If you don't like it, well, what can I say... The problem is you, not the game.

It had been years that original fans were asking for a remasterized version of AoE2, since all the other versions of the franchise didn't arrive at his feet. I must say THANK YOU for giving this wonderful game a new lease of life, THANK YOU!

And... TAKE MY MONEY!!! I'm buying it right now!!!
  12. Oct 1, 2015
    My favorite RTS from when I was younger re-released with all expansions plus a new one and higher resolutions. Very easy to learn very hard to master. Only thing it is missing is LAN play which is too bad because the original had it.
  13. Sep 7, 2015
    To me, this is the best RTS game ever. It has multiple possible strategies, is very diverse and almost any pc can run it. Some people dont like having to micromanage an army of like 80, but if you practice youll see this game rocks.
  14. Aug 12, 2015
    My memories of the game might be influencing my revitalized love for it, but even after all this years, the gameplay is still as enjoyable as I remember, and now in a resolution above 1280x1024!
  15. Jul 27, 2015
    It's exactly as one would expect - AoE II gameplay with updates, and a user-friendly multiplayer lobby. Hotkeys are improved, and all bugs have been fixed. This is a game that doesn't get old.
  16. Jul 15, 2015
    As someone who never played the original and came in as an RTS fan, I found this quite underwhelming in most aspects. While you can forgive the aesthetics due to age, the actual game play and AI leaves a bit to be desired. The pacing is a little average, units variety is actually very good and plenty of different buildings/upgrade paths for a variety of strategies. The worst part is theAs someone who never played the original and came in as an RTS fan, I found this quite underwhelming in most aspects. While you can forgive the aesthetics due to age, the actual game play and AI leaves a bit to be desired. The pacing is a little average, units variety is actually very good and plenty of different buildings/upgrade paths for a variety of strategies. The worst part is the AI, and it is so integral to all modes except Multiplayer. I tend to play Single more and for me it really lets down what would otherwise be a great game. Expand
  17. Jul 2, 2015
    I'm not one who writes tons of reviews but after seeing some of the negative reviews here I had to give my two cents. Age of Empires II is my absolute favorite game to play. I started playing the original Age of Empires and Age of Empires II soon after they first came out and have loved them ever since. It has been sold in Walmart stores until recently and there is a good reason. It''s aI'm not one who writes tons of reviews but after seeing some of the negative reviews here I had to give my two cents. Age of Empires II is my absolute favorite game to play. I started playing the original Age of Empires and Age of Empires II soon after they first came out and have loved them ever since. It has been sold in Walmart stores until recently and there is a good reason. It''s a classic! Anyone who likes strategy and matching their wits against a computer or multiple computer players should give this game a shot. The updated HD version is just that... High Definition. It is nothing less than what it claims to be. So for those who have given poor reviews to the game, I would look at the original intent that was behind releasing Age of Empires ii HD. I personally was delighted to see that there was a new version that was more compatible with current operating systems and was capable of running at a much higher resolution than the original. As a Huge added bonus Steam servers allow online game play for your multi-player games which is nice since the original games no longer had online servers for multiplayer games.
    Despite what some may say about no updates to the game besides better graphics, I would say look again. While staying true to the original game play for the most part, the creators of this HD version have made a few great enhancements to the game such as being able to put farms in queue so you don't have to keep replanting your farms every five minutes. There are other slight modifications similar to that. For those who wanted to revisit a classic game this is for you. For those who want more updates I think you're really wanting a completely different game and you should probably look elsewhere. Just another example of how awesome this game is... My wife and my sister who are not into video games at all were finally persuaded to give this game a try and after playing a couple of times they have both fallen in love with it and I have even come home from work or school to find out that my wife was playing it while the kids napped. This game has the power to convert people to it. Give it a shot!
  18. Jun 29, 2015
    My favorite RTS game of all time along with Warcraft 3. Also the online play is also making a comeback and is pretty stable. Everyone should play once and not be able to criticize until they can beat a hard computer.
  19. Jun 16, 2015
    Just as I had guessed, there was very little change in the gameplay or visual appearance of the game, other than what would've been expected: higher definition display and support for 60 fps. I've always enjoyed the fair and balanced challenge that this game provided to players, whether new or old, and I was glad to see that the same gameplay still existed more than a decade later. ThereJust as I had guessed, there was very little change in the gameplay or visual appearance of the game, other than what would've been expected: higher definition display and support for 60 fps. I've always enjoyed the fair and balanced challenge that this game provided to players, whether new or old, and I was glad to see that the same gameplay still existed more than a decade later. There were, however, problems with this edition.

I've had issues with frame rates dropping especially when starting up saved games with many units, which is rather disappointing, since my PC never had issues running more demanding games. At times, the frame rate never gets back up, rendering some maps virtually unplayable. Pathfinding wasn't great either, with units often times getting trapped and unable to find their way around lakes and rivers. For something that only offered a "revamped" version of graphics, it was surprisingly buggy, and I hope they plan to address these issues as soon as possible.
  20. May 23, 2015
    CZ:
    HD re-edice jedné z nejznámějších strategií všech dob nepřinesla prakticky žádné změny, kromě podpory platformy Steam a HD rozlišení. Ve výsledku je tak velmi těžké hru hodnotit, neboť hra jako taková přežila několik let a stále patří mezi špičky v rámci RTS žánru, na druhou stranu bych od vývojářů očekával trochu více snahy.
  21. Apr 30, 2015
    Excelente games, many bugs at the release time but now it is pretty stable.

I love the "new hd" graphics, of corse there is not any redesig, only best resolution textures and stuff
  22. Apr 5, 2015
    I've got to agree; this game isn't changed too much from the original. But it's the fun factor that kept me going. While the graphics look dated, the gameplay is still as solid as ever. It's simple, but in the same time sophisticating fun, and also the deep nostalgia that really makes this game great. If you never played the game, get it right now. But if you did, you can get it forI've got to agree; this game isn't changed too much from the original. But it's the fun factor that kept me going. While the graphics look dated, the gameplay is still as solid as ever. It's simple, but in the same time sophisticating fun, and also the deep nostalgia that really makes this game great. If you never played the game, get it right now. But if you did, you can get it for nostalgia purposes, but it isn't really different from the original version. Expand
  23. Mar 11, 2015
    AoE II is a 1999 2D isometric RTS game that marked an era on the RTS genre and this new version, luckily, just revamps it with widescreen/HD patches, a few bugfixes, reworked water/effects and steam workshop integration.

While widescreen/HD graphic support was a must have and there was no actual need for water or effects reworks, steam workshop integration is what makes this new version worth buying.
    On the workshop you're able to mod almost every part of the game, this increases even further the decennial longevity of this game. A few examples of currently available steam workshop items are: complete texture packs, water/coast mods, entire campaigns, extremely well made maps, ...

So, game system is exactly how AoE II was, one of the best ones ever among RTS games, extremely balanced and quite various, with slight but substantial differences between civilizations.

Graphic is good, not what you would expect from a 2013 game but strictly speaking about the HD port quality I couldn't think of any way it could have been done better.

Music got some nice remixes, most of them made it sound more "medieval", which as far as I'm concerned it really nice.

In the end I'd say that even at full price (which is maybe 30%~35% more than you may expect from an HD port of a 10+ year old game) I'd recommend buying this game, mostly because of steam workshop integration that really made (and still makes) the difference on my gameplay experience.
  24. Feb 26, 2015
    Microsoft is probably running out of ideas so they thought of re-making an old game to get some money.
    I know it is a good game, but I thought an HD remake would have better gameplay.

There were a few things I did not like, and that was with the El Cid Dead body in the final level; they should have at least made a new died character instead of re-using the alive model.
  25. Jan 24, 2015
    People don't seem to understand what HD means. I mean, maybe you enjoy playing the original at 1280 x 1024? I don't know why...? That would look horrible. Basically the HD remake allows for MUCH higher resolutions for bigger screens. Because 1280 x 1024 looks horrible on 1920 x 1080. Trust me. It'll be a weird box shape.

It also upgrades some of the art of the game. Which I did like the

It also upgrades some of the art of the game. Which I did like the originals art better... But it's not that noticeable of a change.

It also comes with online support. Which is great. So if you liked the original, I would definitely get this game.
  26. Jan 2, 2015
    There is nothing "HD" about this game. As far as I can tell, the only change that was made from the original was to make it widescreen, but the game still uses the same graphics it had in 1999. The game title is dishonest.

That said, if you enjoy classic RTS gaming from the 90's (games like the originals of Starcraft, Warcraft, and Command & Conquer), then you will appreciate this game. There is a lot of depth to this game, and most importantly, it uses most of the same hotkeys that have become standard in RTS gaming.

I cannot recommend this game at full price, however. $20 for a 15 year old game, plus another $10 for the expansion? No, **** that. Wait for a Steam sale where you can pick them up as a bundle for $7.50.
  27. Dec 19, 2014
    I have always loved Age of Empires as a series, and own 1, 2, and 3 on disc as well as having AoEII on Steam. And the Steam version only makes a classic masterpiece and improves upon it further! Never has it been easier to play multiplayer than now, and with The Forgotten Empires DLC included (in the bundle), there are new surprises awaiting. Steam Workshop is enabled for it, meaning thereI have always loved Age of Empires as a series, and own 1, 2, and 3 on disc as well as having AoEII on Steam. And the Steam version only makes a classic masterpiece and improves upon it further! Never has it been easier to play multiplayer than now, and with The Forgotten Empires DLC included (in the bundle), there are new surprises awaiting. Steam Workshop is enabled for it, meaning there is all sorts of awesome mods for the game now. If you are a fan of Age of Empires and are just itching to jump back in, or you're a lover of Strategy games, this is definitely for you.

The 9 scoring is only because it definitely isn't for everyone, and for such an old game it is hard to compete with the newer games out there. But for me, AoE is one of my favorite franchises. Now... to find the best opportunity to get AoEIII!
  28. Dec 8, 2014
    Age of Empires II HD proves that the AoE2 never gets old, the game is wonderful and now it adds new graphics and a greater resolution, the The Forgotten Expansion (very forgotten by troll reviewers) adds 5 new civilizations: Incas, Indians, Italians, Magyars and Slavs and many new technologies and units, new maps, new AIs and new campaigns, the game continues updating and adding new units,Age of Empires II HD proves that the AoE2 never gets old, the game is wonderful and now it adds new graphics and a greater resolution, the The Forgotten Expansion (very forgotten by troll reviewers) adds 5 new civilizations: Incas, Indians, Italians, Magyars and Slavs and many new technologies and units, new maps, new AIs and new campaigns, the game continues updating and adding new units, icons, graphics and campaigns.

The only thing I'd consider a drawback is that it adds another campaign focused on Spanish, when they already had a campaign back in Conquerors, I think El Dorado could've been a campaign focused on Incas instead, as they're one of the new civilizations in this expansion. Also, the Alaric campaign is a bit boring and all campaigns still don't have an intro movie-like story and narration. There could be more units (that I expect to see in their later updates). Other than that, it is all good.
  29. Oct 6, 2014
    Great game, Age of Empires ll HD repack is one of the most memorable and best strategy games available, this repack allows for HD resoloutons such as 1920x1080 for users in which were unable to obtain it in the first version of the game, hence the name "HD Edition" This game also has an exception ally fun multiplayer whether playing with friends or on Game ranger it always producesGreat game, Age of Empires ll HD repack is one of the most memorable and best strategy games available, this repack allows for HD resoloutons such as 1920x1080 for users in which were unable to obtain it in the first version of the game, hence the name "HD Edition" This game also has an exception ally fun multiplayer whether playing with friends or on Game ranger it always produces exhilarating action and fast paced action, definitely recommend to the lovers of the strategy category. Well done Ensemble Studios and Microsoft Games for a great series! Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2014
    So is Age of Empires II HD worth getting? If you're a newcomer to RTSs and want to experience a classic or you're a returning fan that enjoys the single player aspect of the game but want a copy that works on modern operating systems, then yes I would recommend giving Age of Empires II HD a try. For those wanting to play the game mainly for multiplayer, mileage may vary since from mySo is Age of Empires II HD worth getting? If you're a newcomer to RTSs and want to experience a classic or you're a returning fan that enjoys the single player aspect of the game but want a copy that works on modern operating systems, then yes I would recommend giving Age of Empires II HD a try. For those wanting to play the game mainly for multiplayer, mileage may vary since from my experience, games can become pretty laggy - almost to the point of being unplayable. Expand
  31. Sep 17, 2014
    Buggy mess. Pathfinding is by far its biggest issue (most obvious with villagers and rams), but there are plenty of others. In single-player, some maps may not unlock (and "Reign of Blood" can't even be won sometimes, must restart) and the visuals are barely any improvement. Trebuchets sometimes deploy before reaching their targets, game speed setting isn't remembered properly anymoreBuggy mess. Pathfinding is by far its biggest issue (most obvious with villagers and rams), but there are plenty of others. In single-player, some maps may not unlock (and "Reign of Blood" can't even be won sometimes, must restart) and the visuals are barely any improvement. Trebuchets sometimes deploy before reaching their targets, game speed setting isn't remembered properly anymore (defaults always to normal) and villagers keep getting in each other's way. Units sometimes stagger, and performance is very poor.
    I got this in hopes that I'd have no more compatibility issues, but didn't expect a such a big collection of new ones.
  32. Aug 18, 2014
    Yes, this game started badly: not polished at all, it was not much more than the old 2001 game slapped on Steam.
    For this and for the bad working multiplayer aspect of the game ratings were quite poor, with a 68 on metacritic.
    But now things are a lot different: the game is really mature, they are at patch 3.7 and works have not stopped! New champaigns, AI and everything are well polished and tuned.

The game is finally a nice improvement over the original, I find no reason to prefer the old version to the new one.

If you can afford AoE II HD for 15$ or less buy it: it worth that much!
  33. Aug 9, 2014
    This game takes after the original with few improvements. The game is essentially the same with more civilizations and maps added after initial launch with the new expansion. However the game does include the ability for online play and mod's which can be shared through the steam workshop.

The only aspect of this game that could use some serious improvement would be the play-ability. Often times the game will have bugs including latency issues and what seems to be video lag even on systems that could easily support it.

This game needs work but overall with the new maps, civilizations, and increased resolution I would say its a definite buy for AOE fans...
  34. Aug 2, 2014
    What they did with the HD edition is great. It's a simple refresh to a timeless classic. There is not much room for improvement on such a well crafted masterpiece, the higher resolution support is really all this game needed, and I look at the rest of the improvements as added bonuses. These negative reviewers are insane! Game is worth every penny.
  35. Aug 1, 2014
    I remember the old day's of age of empire's 2 but i couldn't find the disk. Then this amazing game came out remastered on steam and oh my god this was one of the best game's i have every played. I have spent 30 hour's on it so far there would be much more if i could play it on the holiday's but i can't. I love this game, the ai are amazing, the amount of buildings and units make this gameI remember the old day's of age of empire's 2 but i couldn't find the disk. Then this amazing game came out remastered on steam and oh my god this was one of the best game's i have every played. I have spent 30 hour's on it so far there would be much more if i could play it on the holiday's but i can't. I love this game, the ai are amazing, the amount of buildings and units make this game much more funner than age of empires 1 and 3. The game also give's you a scenario creator which is so amazing to create your own war's and siege's 10/10 love this game, must buy. Expand
  36. Aug 1, 2014
    I remember getting this game for Xmas the year it came out. It really took me back when I found out that the developers remade it. It really is your standard RTS. You have multiple factions you can choose to play as with their own unique units. There is a multitude of campaigns that follow the different factions and major leaders of the time. There is land and naval combat and the graphicsI remember getting this game for Xmas the year it came out. It really took me back when I found out that the developers remade it. It really is your standard RTS. You have multiple factions you can choose to play as with their own unique units. There is a multitude of campaigns that follow the different factions and major leaders of the time. There is land and naval combat and the graphics have been updated obviously in higher resolutions and it makes the game really alot more colorful. There are a multitude of upgrades correalted to your buildings and units and they are available as you advance into different tiers of technology. There is the Dark Age, Feudal Age, Castle Age, and the Imperial Age. Different technologies open up the higher you advance.

The reason I am giving this game a seven though is because of the less than entertaining combat that really bugs me. Alot of the time, one of your horsemen will go chasing after a peasant or something like that and will really make your attack unorganized. Defending siege equipment is also a task that is not fun and really does make the game lose it's replay value to me personally. Overall though, it still is fun and really takes me back. I might get Age Of Empires III if it's on sale at the Steam store if it's a deal I can't pass up.
  37. Jul 1, 2014
    Nice HD version of one of the best games ever. Still enjoyable today. Multiplayer games are laggy sometimes, if one of the clients has a bad Internet connection.
  38. Jun 16, 2014
    I got a giant flash of nostalgia of me and my family playing this when I was little it is an amazing game and capture many of the core elements that make this franchise great
  39. Jun 12, 2014
    Just overrated game, there is nothing HD in this game, its purely hoax and a big lie. it only zooms out that you cant even see any units and call it HD
  40. May 31, 2014
    It is AoE2.. so it gets a 10. The price tag is not crazy... you are basically paying for ease of service for Multiplayer. Those complaining about no LAN can just purchase a cheap copy of the original game to use. People pay a monthly service fee for this kind of service for other platforms/games.

AoE2 is what RTS should be and is. New RTS games are so simplistic with no real micro/macro skills required. I am ecstatic that they put this on steam to allow easy multiplayer games a reality once again.

The expansion that came from a modding community is nothing new. I am not sure why people are shocked/upset.
  41. May 17, 2014
    I loved this game since I started playing it like 11 years ago.
    I used to play it online with friends and we had a lot of fun.
    Now it's easier than ever to play online + Workshop with endless stuff to add + HD Textures + New campaigns
  42. May 16, 2014
    An epic collection of epicness. PLAY THIS GAME! It has everything the first one did, along with some glitch fixes and improved AI. Most of the ppl who rate this game poorly did so before the game left Beta.
  43. Apr 20, 2014
    Here is an honest review of Age of Empires 2 HD. The game did not have a good launch. This game however was what we expected. Age of Empire 2 that works on Windows 7. The great thing about steam and the remake is the steam workshop. There are pages and pages of mods. I got realistic farms and the original flames. The AI is smarter and presents a challenge on the higher difficulties. AlsoHere is an honest review of Age of Empires 2 HD. The game did not have a good launch. This game however was what we expected. Age of Empire 2 that works on Windows 7. The great thing about steam and the remake is the steam workshop. There are pages and pages of mods. I got realistic farms and the original flames. The AI is smarter and presents a challenge on the higher difficulties. Also being able to invite and play with friends on steam is awesome. Most of the negative reviews are about launch and the fact they were expecting a whole new game. They even added the Forgotten Empires DLC which adds a lot to the game. Even for a guy like me who has played since 2003. I quite enjoy those new civilizations. I would buy this game again. I bought a four pack and give 3 to my friends. I am sure it will go on sale this summer. I would definitely consider getting this. Expand
  44. Apr 9, 2014
    Despite how bad of a Metascore this got, great game. Great game indeed. The new textures are nice, and its so much easier to play with your friends now, with the old website being down and all. I absolutely LOVED the original, and I think this is a very good 'remake', if that's what I should call it. Good job, developers; go get yourselves a cold beer and pat yourselves on the back. YouDespite how bad of a Metascore this got, great game. Great game indeed. The new textures are nice, and its so much easier to play with your friends now, with the old website being down and all. I absolutely LOVED the original, and I think this is a very good 'remake', if that's what I should call it. Good job, developers; go get yourselves a cold beer and pat yourselves on the back. You deserve it. Expand
  45. Mar 13, 2014
    I don't know what people were expecting. It's an HD port of the greatest game of all time. They didn't add anything new (initially) because there was nothing that had to be added. With the Forgotten, easier matchmaking, and wider screen sizes: the game has surpassed its original. Now that we're a year past the release, they've fixed virtually every crippling bug and even released anI don't know what people were expecting. It's an HD port of the greatest game of all time. They didn't add anything new (initially) because there was nothing that had to be added. With the Forgotten, easier matchmaking, and wider screen sizes: the game has surpassed its original. Now that we're a year past the release, they've fixed virtually every crippling bug and even released an exclusive scenario.

I can understand the metacritic rating at the terrible half-assed release, but the team has fixed all those errors at this point. AoE2 has truly aged like fine wine. And with beautiful 2D graphics, a top tier soundtrack, a wonderful comfy feel, and infinite replayability: Even the HD version can't ruin the king's spot at the top of all games.
  46. Mar 11, 2014
    An underwhelming re-release of a fantastic game. Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's the 'HD Edition' tacked on at the end of the title which serves as misleading. It appears to be nothing more than the same game released back in '99 with two different display settings and a fancy new title. However, despite this it is still an incredibly fun and satisfyingAn underwhelming re-release of a fantastic game. Whilst there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game, it's the 'HD Edition' tacked on at the end of the title which serves as misleading. It appears to be nothing more than the same game released back in '99 with two different display settings and a fancy new title. However, despite this it is still an incredibly fun and satisfying RTS, that holds up nicely in 2014. Expand
  47. Mar 11, 2014
    Age of Empires II HD is a fantastic game. The best RTS ever created. I give 10 for graphics 10 for gameplay 10 for fun. I love this game ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
  48. Mar 10, 2014
    Age of Empires is the best game i have played so far. Why ? The replay value is almost unlimited. I've been playing on and off since 1999 and i still learn new tricks after all those years. In random map match there are many ways to play, every game feels diferent, specially in team games (team games demand so much strategy), if you like single player, the campaigns are great. I understandAge of Empires is the best game i have played so far. Why ? The replay value is almost unlimited. I've been playing on and off since 1999 and i still learn new tricks after all those years. In random map match there are many ways to play, every game feels diferent, specially in team games (team games demand so much strategy), if you like single player, the campaigns are great. I understand some players don't like AOE. It's easy to learn and very hard to master. Some people think its slow because they don't know how to take advantage of each second of the game (exploring, scouting, balancing economy, planning strategys, placing buildings in the best way possible, micromanagementing economy and army). StarCraft is more like Checkers, Age of Empires is more like Chess. AOE focus a lot more on strategy. I like the first AOE a lot. AOE 2 (AOC) fixed lot of bugs and added cool recorded game option. in 2008 AoE 2 lost official multiplayer support, AoE 2 HD is the chance to revival this great game with a new multiplayer support and some new fixes. If you are a RTS fan you can't miss this game. Expand
  49. Feb 18, 2014
    Awesome game, being away from it for sometime one forget how great it is. I will continue playing this for years once again. There is only one real competitor for this game and thats Starcraft. Both are great but in different ways.
  50. Feb 10, 2014
    Honestly, I don't know what you all were expecting. It's exactly the same game we were playing back on the Windows XP, except I don't know if you actually tried to play it recently. On anything higher than Windows Vista, it's loaded with compatibility errors. It's really just unplayable. On the other hand, you can buy this new version of the game priced starting at $20 ($15 if youHonestly, I don't know what you all were expecting. It's exactly the same game we were playing back on the Windows XP, except I don't know if you actually tried to play it recently. On anything higher than Windows Vista, it's loaded with compatibility errors. It's really just unplayable. On the other hand, you can buy this new version of the game priced starting at $20 ($15 if you preordered) and it has some new details and effects, smoothed out graphics, and more. Along with this, it has steam community support, which means easy game setup. It even comes complete with workshop so that rather than screwing up the textures, they just let the users easily download content for the game, such as texture packs. I mean, look at the changes they DID make... those cliff textures were the first to go.

However, I did notice that sadly, there were some changes that never happened. I think it would have been nice of them to change the models into actual 3D figures, rather than more detailed pixel-art. You can't rotate the camera or anything. You can't even zoom in at all.

All in all, I think it was worth it. It isn't the main exhibit of my steam library, but I'm still pretty glad I picked it up while it was on sale. To sum it all up, it isn't exactly Red Alert HD, where it has a different style of play from any other game that can compete with Company of Heroes, but rather a Halo 1 Anniversary. If you expect to see an amazing remake of the game that hit stores full force, you'll be mildly disappointed. If it hadn't been in legal limbo around 2008, maybe it would be something special. However, this is really just the compatibility update for a classic RTS, that you might enjoy from GOG in maybe 6 years or so.
  51. Jan 27, 2014
    I am going to start off by saying that I am a big fan of the Total War series and I like it better then age of empires so I am biased against this series. I had a lot of fun with this game but then I found the Total War series. Total War trumps this game in all ways except the AI is better in age of empire. If you want fun game get this but if you want a vary fun game get one Total war games.
  52. Jan 23, 2014
    Still one of the best PC games in the world. Might be the best RTS of all time. People are crying about the HD upgrade because they don't understand that its simply a small graphical update so it can play on today's larger computer monitors. The game will NOT look better than it did 10 years ago, but games like this stand the test of time regardless of graphics.

Sooo much better than

Sooo much better than Starcraft. This game requires strategy, while Starcraft is just a real time mass (whatever unit).
  53. Jan 15, 2014
    Age of Empires II: HD brings back a heap of Nostalgia to me, playing this game reminds me of the days when graphics wasn't an issue, i like how they have kept the sprite style, some people are against that I know, some think it's for the better that they left it, others despise it probably just to try and get a tear-jerk'er, who knows, I don't care the game in my book is still 100% amazing.
  54. Jan 6, 2014
    Its exactly the same old Age of Empires, NOTHING new besides the horrible multiplayer with tons of bugs, lag (sometimes about 2 seconds of delay) and connection problems. A lot of people cant play because 10 seconds after the game starts, every player get disconnected because someone is "out of sinc".

Dont buy it, just play the old Age of Empires with hamachi, there are not dedicated servers, so its really the same.
  55. Jan 6, 2014
    This game is a must-have for RTS players. It is a very well made strategy game which is pretty much the same as the older version.
    I don't understand the ratings saying that nothing was changed, when if there were changes there would be hate on that. The reason why this game came out with a HD version was because a lot of people loved the game. Not for there to be changes.
  56. Dec 31, 2013
    One of the weaker 'HD upgrades' out there. Certainly not worth the $20 asking price, and reasonable only when at $5 on Steam sale. It's the original game with bare-bones graphical adjustments for new monitors, but no real graphic enhancements to speak of. Basically a lazy product designed to milk money out of nostalgia. The game itself is fine. The enhancements are a joke.

Orctowngrot
  57. Dec 30, 2013
    I played Age of Empires II last time, few years ago. What changed in HD Edition? Almost, nothing! Graphics, is not main thing in strategy games, but now, it became better. Only 4 resource icons became little bit unusual. I loved this game when played it first time, and now I feel the same, playing Age of Empires II: HD Edition! In map editor, nothing changed, still good for creating maps.I played Age of Empires II last time, few years ago. What changed in HD Edition? Almost, nothing! Graphics, is not main thing in strategy games, but now, it became better. Only 4 resource icons became little bit unusual. I loved this game when played it first time, and now I feel the same, playing Age of Empires II: HD Edition! In map editor, nothing changed, still good for creating maps. Online gameplay still not good, always playing with: rushers, destroyers and as always, people with high ping... Main thing that I love in this game is: Nothing changed, only textures, added good soundtrack. Everyone wants same game with better textures: here it is! I love this game, playing for days! Expand
  58. Dec 24, 2013
    Yes, when the game was first released, I'd say the $20 price point was absolutely not worth it. Now, the game has been updated a bit, and there are several reasons to buy the game when it comes on sale at the very least. One being the multiplayer support. Playing multiplayer matches where you can gain skill points or lose skill points based on wins/losses provides a much needed elementYes, when the game was first released, I'd say the $20 price point was absolutely not worth it. Now, the game has been updated a bit, and there are several reasons to buy the game when it comes on sale at the very least. One being the multiplayer support. Playing multiplayer matches where you can gain skill points or lose skill points based on wins/losses provides a much needed element to the game. Another reason to grab this game is the steam workshop support. There are many fantastic graphics mods that can be choosen, installed, and working flawlessly on any game mode, online or off. I bought the game on sale (its on sale all the time) for 4.99, and have already put 100 hours of gameplay into it. Online play is great fun. Expand
  59. Dec 22, 2013
    Can't even set the resolution

If you own a 1280x1024 monitor then this game will not even run at the native resolution and will run at a lower (and much blurrier) resolution than the orignal game did. As such this fails at the first hurdle. There is no support for the game and it's little more than a hacked binary and some with some previously free mods stacked on top. As others have
    Can't even set the resolution

As others have stated, even if you put aside the fact that the game is actually less stable than the original there are no beneficial changes, this is literally a just very lazy cash grab.

The real icing on the cake is that whenever you launch the game it will load a launcher app containing an embedded Internet Explorer window with many invalid links and a script error that you have to cancel before you can actually play the game. Avoid this at all costs.
  60. Dec 12, 2013
    Even after a decade this game is a master piece.I recommend it to anyone who loves RTS games.As for the hd version,it's not much of a difference except the fact that structures has been redesigned to look better.Anyway if you ask me the game is worth it and I think you should buy it.
  61. Dec 6, 2013
    Hidden Path has done an excellent job bringing an approx. 15 year old game engine up to date. The game is very stable and is being updated regularly. Excellent choice, especially considering the price.
  62. Dec 6, 2013
    AOE2 HD is one great game and gives back the old school feelings. In april they gived us the same version of the game we had in 1999 but now buggy. In the last year they fixed almost all the bugs and glitches. This game is good but not the best.
  63. Dec 4, 2013
    Great game if you have played the original before and the forgotten expansion is great. However if you just buy the HD version without the expansion for the full $20 I would not recommend it as much. Otherwise a solid 9/10 with the expansion, but only a 7/10 for the base game. (Split the difference for my score)
  64. Dec 4, 2013
    An excellent game! I can't really add to what some of the other positive reviews are saying: It's classic, endless playability, yet quickly becomes familiar and easy to improve your performance. It's an incredibly satisfying game to play, and the option of allying with other players and combining your empires, armies and tactics is so fun. The random maps are all unique and cool to exploreAn excellent game! I can't really add to what some of the other positive reviews are saying: It's classic, endless playability, yet quickly becomes familiar and easy to improve your performance. It's an incredibly satisfying game to play, and the option of allying with other players and combining your empires, armies and tactics is so fun. The random maps are all unique and cool to explore and use geography to your advantage. The economy military balance is extremely intriguing as well.

If you've played the original, it is not any different except some of the graphics are smoother, the max pop cap is at 500, and there is support for online multiplayer and a thriving community both in-game and in steam workshop.

Cons: There is an annoying unit selection limit, (like 30 units?) and the continuity when playing multiplayer online is dependent on everyone having a fast connection. If even one player has a slow connection or slow computer, the game will lag very badly, especially when many units are on the map. Even with adequate connection speeds, I wouldn't recommend setting the pop cap much over 300 in a 6 to 8 player game.

Redeeming fact: They are working on patches and continuing support for the game. Playability and technical issues have been improved and will hopefully continue to improve.
  65. Dec 4, 2013
    I'd like to give this game a 10, for nostalgic reasons. Back then this was a great game and probably the best RTS out there. Today it is lacking a lot. I am not talking about graphics, allthough for a Full HD Version which costs 20 bucks I expect more. It is the gameplay which, in comparision to Starcraft 2, feels boring and slow. It is also the story and presentation which in no way canI'd like to give this game a 10, for nostalgic reasons. Back then this was a great game and probably the best RTS out there. Today it is lacking a lot. I am not talking about graphics, allthough for a Full HD Version which costs 20 bucks I expect more. It is the gameplay which, in comparision to Starcraft 2, feels boring and slow. It is also the story and presentation which in no way can compete with todays standards.
    So for me AoE II: HD is a classic, but not one that works well compared to todays standards.
  66. Dec 2, 2013
    Probably the worst HD edition ever. Don't waste your money on this. Obtain the original game with the patch.

The main menu displaces objects. The music is near the worst. The videos are not new nor better. The textures are not real HD.

Congratulations Microsoft.
  67. Nov 8, 2013
    This was my favorite RTS until I played starcraft 2.

This game is not worth it in its current state, EVEN 7 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!! Broken online mode means it's a lag fest, am I playing on a dial-up modem? Game has almost no changes from the original, no resolution options or anything like that or graphics options. Well why would it need graphics options? Well
    This was my favorite RTS until I played starcraft 2.

Broken online mode means it's a lag fest, am I playing on a dial-up modem? Game has almost no changes from the original, no resolution options or anything like that or graphics options. Well why would it need graphics options? Well f*** me but they managed to botch the port so bad I get 20 FPS online WITH AN ATI 7950 AND A CORE I7 3.5GHZ, CRYSIS 3 RUNS BETTER THAN YOUR GAME, HOW THE HELL.

Last but not least, it's 20 dollars, and 10 dollars for the dlc. Yeah, how about you instead by yourselves starcraft 2 for 10 dollars more mkay? The developers of the DLC should be commended but we paid 20 DOLLARS ALREADY, WHY NOT GIVE THEM SOME OF THAT MONEY AND MAKE THE DLC FREE, MICROSOFT. You know I love you guys under all this awful PR lately but COME ON.

I have never seen, a more botched port of an old game in my life, at least with a lot of ports today it makes sense because they are just larger games, but this, there is no excuse...

This game gets a 2 because of how much they make you pay for a broken game. A game that you can pirate guilt freely and get the FREE MODDED DLC TO WORK WITH YOUR SYSTEM. Also, the new update, CHANGED THE MUSIC AND BROKE MY SAVE FILES. The only thing this game has is that when it is fixed and lets me choose the original freaking music, than it will be a fun game, but guess what, SEVEN MONTHS WE HAVE BEEN WAITING aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the new update added more crashing issues.

Now I came to this games defense when it was coming out, people were going on about how you can get forgotten empires (the now 10 dollar dlc for HD) for free to work on modern systems and an original copy of the game for a small price (free if you pirate, which you probably would because you probably bought the game anyway if you were defending it so who cares?.) I defended the game saying that the online and the HD port is the reason why..... Yeah I feel pretty stupid now.

Also, it isn't out on mac or linux, despite the original being on mac. Which I find hilarious.

So to recap:
    Broken Multiplayer (after the new update to ready for the DLC, it actually adds crashes to everything)
    Changed audio
    Horrid performance
    Lack of options
    Overpriced

Do I sound angry? Yeah I am, because microsoft botched my childhood almost as much as they botched this game.
  68. Oct 28, 2013
    Of course the game is don't have that much new in it, it is called "AOE2HD Edition" because it is just HD of AOE2. But think about what the game have, much better matchmaking, so that people can play online without a worry in the world. And that is something I personally are very glad for, since I don't want to experience something like Crusader Kings 2 matchmaking/creating games onlineOf course the game is don't have that much new in it, it is called "AOE2HD Edition" because it is just HD of AOE2. But think about what the game have, much better matchmaking, so that people can play online without a worry in the world. And that is something I personally are very glad for, since I don't want to experience something like Crusader Kings 2 matchmaking/creating games online again. And we got the workshop, which have made people making mods again for the game, making the game better or just simply more fun with taunt packs. It is very well made, and I am glad that they didn't change much. It was good as it is. And now they are even giving out the "Forgotten Empires" expansion pack. Which is even more great news, since that just shows that they are continuing to improve the game. Just like the patches that we have gotten lately. Expand
  69. Oct 25, 2013
    As much as I would love to give a positive rating I can't! I grew up playing this game and have logged several thousand hours over the years. When I saw that it was remade for steam as an HD game I figured that they would have made some other important changes and added more to it. It's simply a repackaged game with the SAME coding as the original. The only positives are that the onlineAs much as I would love to give a positive rating I can't! I grew up playing this game and have logged several thousand hours over the years. When I saw that it was remade for steam as an HD game I figured that they would have made some other important changes and added more to it. It's simply a repackaged game with the SAME coding as the original. The only positives are that the online matchmaking is simplified and that I can tab alt or play in windowed mode. Other than that this game is a slap in the face to anyone expecting changes. The multi-player engine still lags with that 1999 style (even with cable modem and quad core) and the game still freezes at wait screen before and during game. It also still goes out of sync...If you're a first time player I'd save your money for something else instead of paying for a repackaged game from 1999. Expand
  70. Oct 10, 2013
    Uh, I know... there will soon be Donkey Kong HD and Super Mario HD. Should those microsoft guys think about Age of Empires 4 instead of raising the dead?
  71. Oct 5, 2013
    Do you know why there is a HD edition for the original AOE2? It is because the unofficial mod for the original AOE2, namely the Forgotten Empires, draw great attention upon its release. So, AOE2 still looks like a good CASH COW nowadays, and hence the born of this so-called "HD".

Original AOE2 with the unofficial mod already achieves what this $20 HD version offers, with the exception of only the minor graphic improvement. The unofficial mod is also becoming a official expansion for this HD version, may be another potential cash cow in future.

What a shame, this is only a cash-in product derived from the modding community.
  72. Sep 25, 2013
    I am unsure why so many people are so negative about this game. It had more than a few updates, albeit calling it HD was a bit uncalled for.

For starters, I don't know how many of you tried to use your old AOE II disks recently but...unless you find a user-made patch on the internet, they don't WORK on modern machines. They also increased the resolution the game can run at, and reenabled internet play on AOE II, since GameSpy or whoever else originally hosted multiplayer connections does not do so, and has not for years.

Finally, they added steam support to the game, so that using "Join Game" from the friends menu would pop right into the game, which was a nice feature, and added Steam Workshop integration, which is AMAZING in comparison to the old style of manually installing files, finding them on different sites, etc.

Now that it is out of the way, let me move on to the actual review...

The game is exactly how it was, but with fixes to work on modern PC's which is what I wanted...but just not fro $20. It seems like a massive rip-off that they are selling a game that has a few tweaks and modernizations for the same price. $10 would have been a much more reasonable price, and I bet less people would be pissed off if it were re-sold for that price with the fixes included.

Overall, I liked AOE II when I was younger, and while due to their fixes I can play it on modern PC's...the price is very exorbitant, and it feels like they are just trying to use my nostalgia to make a quick buck. The game itself is perfectly fine however.
  73. Sep 17, 2013
    5 months later and the game is STILL BROKEN! I STILL get choppy fps (i'm on a gtx 670 by the way),the steam workshop with the game is totally borked most of the time and they never fixed any of the problems that the vanilla version of AOE 2 had. I will NEVER buy another game from hidden path again in my life.
  74. Sep 6, 2013
    The game is excellent and graphics awesome, but it is SUCH a shame there is no Mac version. Come on, the game is on Steam, what is it it cannot be shipped to Mac
  75. Aug 23, 2013
    Age of Empires 2 is a fantastic RTS game which was a trendsetter in its genre and a entertaining time sink. So naturally with a remake of such a game there is very little to truly get wrong especially if the source material is a well liked game. However, Age of Empires 2 HD does not live up to the idea of a HD remake, especially not a release worthy of the price tag set which in allAge of Empires 2 is a fantastic RTS game which was a trendsetter in its genre and a entertaining time sink. So naturally with a remake of such a game there is very little to truly get wrong especially if the source material is a well liked game. However, Age of Empires 2 HD does not live up to the idea of a HD remake, especially not a release worthy of the price tag set which in all honesty is pretty steep for exactly what you get.

So what do you get for your money? Well the HD in the title seems pretty much exclusive to the better resolution support and improved water textures, as for other artwork it simply does not feel clear and crisp, as what one would expect from the title. This is not terribly surprising given the engine seems more or less the same, so there is only so much new artwork could do for it. If your expecting visuals to rival rts's of today then i am afraid you'll be sorely disappointed. But overall the game is not exactly ugly, but as i said above, it lacks what you would expect from a HD edition. As for it's gameplay it is pretty much identical to the original AoE2, the same strengths and the same flaws. The uninspired AI from the original is unchanged, and any attempt to change the mechanics of the gameplay go without notice, which may be a good thing if you consider that the source material is the main draw, yet is obviously negative to the goal of a remake. Multiplayer has been upgraded, giving the ability to play online through Steam and it's servers meaning no need for Hamachi or other internet lan based alternative to play. Though the multiplayer is improved, it should be mentioned that it has plenty of issues, namely in it's coding. There seems to be plenty of examples of errors and incompatibilities that make the experience unpredictable at best, especially in large games of 4+ people. There are client side fixes to some of these problems like port forwarding, but it is obviously not ideal.

Overall, in my opinion you do not get enough for your money with AOE2: HD, but if it is on sale or you happen to have the money to waste then i would advise to go for it if you enjoyed the original, the series or the rts genre as a whole.
  76. Aug 23, 2013
    Now most of the bugs have been fixed, this is a very good game, definitely worth the money. Compared to the original, it has some nicer textures (e.g. fog of war, water), Steam leaderboards, achievement, and a good multiplayer community. Patches are still being released, so I recommend it;.
  77. Aug 7, 2013
    I bought this remake to play it with friends online, but the game starts to lag after about 10 minutes and is unplayable. I thought it would have better graphics, but the only thing that changed is that it has a higher FOV.. and all this for only 20€
  78. Aug 1, 2013
    Age of Empires II: HD Edition is an upright and outstanding example of what strategy games used to be, and what they should be now. The original Age of Empires II had countless bugs, of which most are severe and do things like crash the game. The new HD Edition has barely any bugs and of which said bugs do nothing more than stop the game for a few seconds.

The old multi-player for Age

The old multi-player for Age of Empires II meant you had to have the IP address of participants to actually play a game, which means you could only get a game in with people once every few weeks (or for more if you're a budding AoE2 enthusiast); the new multi-player is brilliant; a list of lobbies to join, far more customisable features for the host to attract players and filters so the player find the game they want to play. What bugs me about this is that LAN has been completely stripped. Age of Empires II was probably one of the best games you could own for LAN parties. Although, no point beating the game up over LAN as you can simply just host a private game.

Steam Workshop is an amazing way to get modifications and good maps as well as custom campaigns around. There's been many amazing maps and essential mods that have come out in less than a month from release; Steam Workshop has evidently been implemented perfectly.

Although HD is good, there's more that could've made it better. The option to revert back to the original graphic quality at any time would've been great for when you want to mark a Battle of Nostalgia.

Overall, abundant quality of the new features outweigh the lack of new features.
  79. Jul 28, 2013
    I pre-ordered the game, but never able to run it. I following the forums, read the reviews etc. but still no solution for me, and I'm not alone with this problem. This game is simply an unfinished patchwork. This game is ready when the Community is finishing it, until then avoid it, and buy the original.
  80. Jul 27, 2013
    excellent game, i appreciate that it was relaunched in hd so i can revive the moments playing on line. the only thing i dont like too much is that the LAN was eliminated and you need to purchase a game for any of your LAN friends, but that is normal this days...
  81. Jul 24, 2013
    What really hurts this game is the nostalgia from years of aging combined with the delivery of modern day expectations.

First, I am disappointed on the (stated several times) textures provided to constitute as HD most of the textures such as the farms and fire do look better but they werent really needed. Second the price point for a game that is 10 years+ old is beyond disturbing, I

Second the price point for a game that is 10 years+ old is beyond disturbing, I would have probably turned a blind eye if it was 10 maybe 15 dollars but at 20 I feel that steam along with Microsoft is just capitalizing on an old product that was arguably one of their better in the Age series along with the hype brought on by the release of the fan "expansion" forgotten empires that brought about many changes to the game along with interest in the series.

Leading to my third point the fact that Forgotten empires will most likely never come to port on steam. The expansion brought about alot of bug fixes adding of new races and units and even included some updated textures for buildings, etc. I do realize that something that was added material to the original shouldnt affect my scoring for the HD port to steam but sadly it does weigh in to my experiences with current online play.

Thankfully the things I felt that steam did well into having this game added to their list is the ability for players to play online without the help of things such as Game Rangers ever since the "Zone" went extinct. I also like to believe that having more people buy into the franchise will eventually allow a new release that will mimic that same staying power as AoE and AoE2 etc.

tl;dr
    If you want to re experience this old gem with online play added back in the mix and historical campaigns go for it..
    If you are hoping this release was going to breathe life into an old series well, at least its not teaming with Brazilians and Italians!
  82. oso
    Jul 18, 2013
    This is just another attempt to squeeze money from a dead series. The title 'HD' is a joke cause its the same scaled up textures also it doesn't offer any new gameplay featuresat all. We quickly stopped playing it because of the serious performance issues it has. By that i mean constant desync and lag problems during multiplayer gaming.
  83. Jul 14, 2013
    Age of Empires HD is great because it is now on steam which makes it easyier to play multi-player and still experience the classic original components of the game which make it so worth while. BTW do any of you have a monk.. need a monk, rogan. LOL it still cracks me up yer way you should see the other guy".
  84. Jul 13, 2013
    The altered artwork is hideous. The farms and cliffs are downright grotesque (and look like they were drawn in MS paint, rather than matching everything else, which are 3D rendered models transformed into sprites), the fire is just ok, the water looks pixelated. AOE2, the original game, is a 10/10, and easily the best RTS to date... but this re-release, while doing some nice things likeThe altered artwork is hideous. The farms and cliffs are downright grotesque (and look like they were drawn in MS paint, rather than matching everything else, which are 3D rendered models transformed into sprites), the fire is just ok, the water looks pixelated. AOE2, the original game, is a 10/10, and easily the best RTS to date... but this re-release, while doing some nice things like increasing the resolution, marred as much, in way of the art changes. Expand
  85. Jun 29, 2013
    This is literally the exact same game as age of empires 2. LITERALLY. They didn't change anything except the graphics, which look the same anyway. Don't spend 20 dollars buying a texture pack.
  86. Jun 28, 2013
    AOE fans probably own two copes of AOE II: AOE II and Age of Kings. Then we get charged $20 for something that has already been done by the community? This is a joke. Dont waste your money, you can get resolution increases for free without the extra bugs.
  87. Jun 24, 2013
    AoE II is legendary game, but this HD edition is rushed cash in on legendary game. It is very buggy and almost no graphics update. If you already got AoE II this is total waste.
  88. Jun 15, 2013
    I love AoE2! This HD version after so many years should have been way better.
    As another user on Steam said:
    Adding "official" 1080p support HD and does not demand a price of 20 euros. Even people that loves this version of the game and is playing it happily had huge problems to make it run. For example, one of them told me on one of my posts at Steam about how he downloaded the game
    I love AoE2! This HD version after so many years should have been way better.
    As another user on Steam said:
    Adding "official" 1080p support HD and does not demand a price of 20 euros.

Even people that loves this version of the game and is playing it happily had huge problems to make it run. For example, one of them told me on one of my posts at Steam about how he downloaded the game like 5 times over 6 hours while he was troubleshooting it.

To be able to change the resolution you have to change the resolution of the computer. And if you have some problem in your eyes, forget it! the Texture/image of the units is so bad that that or you have your computer on 800x600 or you will get a headache. Is that really an improvement to put the game up to date with newer systems?

The "start" screen where you can select what to do (play, change options, etc) looks worse than the "start" screen of the original game. That such a basic thing hasn't improve tells you what the general state of the game is.
    I actually sent an email to the developers and so far the only thing I got is an email of them telling me they were told to resend all feedback to Microsoft.

The only thing they put up to date with this game was their pockets. This is a franchise that has a huge fan base, they realized that if they tried to revive the game lots of people would buy it out of nostalgia and in hopes of having a gaming better experience than with the original one. And they have used the community as beta testers.
    It is an insult to the consumers and other Studios that make a point of releasing quality games but don't have such big fan base to profit from.
  89. Jun 9, 2013
    The original AOE2 was amazing in that it had very historical campaigns that made me enjoy learning about history. The graphics and gameplay were up to date for the time and it was one of the best games I ever played. I and my eight year old son moved on to AOE3 long ago and have enjoyed playing that together a lot. I thought I'd try to get this AOE2 HD version so that he could learnThe original AOE2 was amazing in that it had very historical campaigns that made me enjoy learning about history. The graphics and gameplay were up to date for the time and it was one of the best games I ever played. I and my eight year old son moved on to AOE3 long ago and have enjoyed playing that together a lot. I thought I'd try to get this AOE2 HD version so that he could learn more about actual history as opposed to the "history lite" in AOE3.

Well I fire it up and my son says, "That looks terrible". The graphics really are not good. The interface stinks, just like the original AOE2. I was reminded of all the annoying micromanaging things that you had to do in AOE2 like create mining camps. The bottom line is that AOE2 HD seems just as dated as AOE2 does today. Will Microsoft please wise up and either create AOE4 or sell the rights to the franchise so someone else can? The fact that people are buying this polished turd is testament to how much latent demand is out there for this franchise.
  90. Jun 9, 2013
    Nostalgia I always loved AoE II back in time. I think this AoE II HD Edition is a great rework of that great game. Why did you (people) judged the game before it was out? I had no problems with it, I loved it. Steam Workshop, better Multiplayer (The ranking system could be better, they are working on it!), remastered textures, more beautiful water (I liked that, my favourite improvementNostalgia I always loved AoE II back in time. I think this AoE II HD Edition is a great rework of that great game. Why did you (people) judged the game before it was out? I had no problems with it, I loved it. Steam Workshop, better Multiplayer (The ranking system could be better, they are working on it!), remastered textures, more beautiful water (I liked that, my favourite improvement :D), resolution support to very high (I've seen someone who played it on 5 monitors), Steam Achievements. Others said it's full of bugs. But it isn't!!! I bought the game yesterday, no bugs or any problems at all so far (I played Singleplayer and Multiplayer, not for a single time). I think the 68 Metascore is too severe. It's much better than that. And the most important thing: THEY ARE WORKING ON IT! It's version 2.3, 2.4 is on the way, it will come out in 2-3 days. I recommend this game to anyone who played AoE 10-15 years ago! Expand
  91. May 31, 2013
    Now not many games are rated 100/100. But I do enjoy me my RTS games. This is a fun game, just better graphics. Like I said, it's not perfect, but, if you like RTSs, this is a great game.
  92. May 18, 2013
    It's a really bad game in comparison with both the original game and modern competitors. It introduced plenty of new bugs and the graphic quality is not improved at all.
  93. May 15, 2013
    They added a resolution fix, a couple of textures and a load of achievements, and they completely removed proper LAN support. Way to go!. Another kick in the nuts for AoE fans after AoEO.
  94. May 13, 2013
    Now I don't usually write reviews but i wanted to make it clear to potential buyers of the big issues this release has. The game is great but the lack of support the developers give to the game is shocking. Multiplayer is practically unplayable after 15mins due to lag/stutturing/desync and the support forum is ignored.

I would stay away till they give the game some love if they ever do.
  95. May 10, 2013
    This is a great game! My favorite strategy of all time! I can't understand how many people speak against it... Some saying it's the same game, well what did you expect? It's written in a ancient program language, it was so hard for the developers to even do what they did and make it compatible with all the windows versions. Second of all, if it was changed, the same people would have beenThis is a great game! My favorite strategy of all time! I can't understand how many people speak against it... Some saying it's the same game, well what did you expect? It's written in a ancient program language, it was so hard for the developers to even do what they did and make it compatible with all the windows versions. Second of all, if it was changed, the same people would have been saying "ah it's not the same, they ruined it"... just the common trolls in the internet.. I am really happy that they did not change this classic in the strategy genre. For me the expansion The conquerors changed the original age of empires game too much and I was not happy with this, but I accepted it, and I'm really happy they did not do this again. For everyone who loves age of empires, and want to play it with players, I recommend buying it. It has 4-5k players in steam all the time, and it's great! it has a workshop, where you can change some of the skins like farms, mines, terrain, etc. Thank you for bringing my favorite strategy back to life!!!! Full respect!!! Expand
  96. May 3, 2013
    AoE 2 HD is a re-release of AoE2 with a very slight face lift. Sadly, it doesn't do anything to bring the UI into the new millennium and is missing key features that should be in all modern RTS releases. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, but when asking a full price for this game, it should be updated more than it is.
  97. Apr 30, 2013
    This is a great Strategy game just for $20 dollar's and if you are a long time fan of the game then i recommend because the game is really fun and feels just like AoE2 just like back then. And with gamesworkshop you can even get new maps new game modes and texture packs.
  98. Apr 29, 2013
    Lots of people are giving this game negative reviews because they are saying that this is exactly the same as the original. However, I am going to judge this as a separate game. The gameplay itself is extremely good, and the graphics are fine. The steam workshop support is nice. There are a few bugs, but I imagine that they will be fixed.
  99. Apr 24, 2013
    The game doesn't work. Multi-player starts, then gets out of sync instantly. To me, this means it's defective. (Yes I have forwarded the ports.) Lame.
  100. Apr 24, 2013
    Age of Empires II was and still is easily one of the best RTS titles of its time, rivaled only by Starcraft. Even after 14 long years, AoE II is still very playable. HD Edition offers nothing more than a way for Windows 7 users to play the game in full 1080p+ without visual glitches and uses steam integration to make connecting to other players easier. I enjoy the fact the title wasAge of Empires II was and still is easily one of the best RTS titles of its time, rivaled only by Starcraft. Even after 14 long years, AoE II is still very playable. HD Edition offers nothing more than a way for Windows 7 users to play the game in full 1080p+ without visual glitches and uses steam integration to make connecting to other players easier. I enjoy the fact the title was untouched gameplay-wise, because I felt the original game was already very complete and well-rounded.

There was definitely some missed potential here... but that's not what I expected anyways. I just wanted a 1080p version of my favorite RTS game. Worth every penny.
  101. Apr 23, 2013
    I love, love, LOVED AoE2 and have owned it almost since it's release all those years ago. I like the fact that they brought out the defib to bring it back to life, but they really didn't do anything with it besides tack on a 20$ price tag. Everything the developers did with this release was already done with the Forgotten Empires mod, for free(Assuming you owned the original game). I can'tI love, love, LOVED AoE2 and have owned it almost since it's release all those years ago. I like the fact that they brought out the defib to bring it back to life, but they really didn't do anything with it besides tack on a 20$ price tag. Everything the developers did with this release was already done with the Forgotten Empires mod, for free(Assuming you owned the original game). I can't in good faith give this game the 7+ rating I sincerely want to give it.

What really irks me is that it's been completely stripped of LAN. AoE2 was /THE/ game to lan party it up. Anyone that played it when it was still fresh knows what I'm talking about. This reeks of sacrificing the game to hit piracy. Something pretty much everyone condemns EA and their ilk for. It's not even successful, the game is still piratable and pirates can still play with eachother.

I really hope the developers at Hidden Path have more in store for us than what's been presented so far. Perhaps the Steam Workshop will kick the game into overdrive? It's always been an amazing game and still is an amazing game, it's just disappointing how they had so many opportunities to fix some of the problems with AoE2 but didn't capitalize on any of them, and instead just implemented the exact same changes already done in Forgotten Empires(Unit cap increase, higher resolution support, etc etc)

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 5, 2013
    Mixed emotions, overall. On the one hand we have the same graphics, not at all improved. On the other, Steam offers functional multiplayer and workshop support, that breathe life into an old game. [May 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    May 13, 2013
    Let me make a list of all the changes introduced in the HD version of Age of Empires II - higher resolution. [CD-Action 06/2013, p.77]
  3. May 5, 2013
    Unfortunately Age of Empires II HD isn't a very impressive update. It disappoints graphically and not much has been done to improve or modernize it. The gameplay is still strong though, and Age of Empires II still shows how balanced and detailed strategy games can be. With the addition of the Steam Workshop there's enough potential here for the game to be given a new look. Too bad this is left up to the players though.