Age of Empires III PC

7.7

1. Oct 23, 2013
    Even though it feels familiar, it is a good sequel. Disappointingly, it doesn't revolutionize nothing, but it's a visual flare and a fun strategy game. It's a nice conclusion to an amazing trilogy.
    It follow relatively the same gameplay as it's predecessor, adding an interesting Home City system. With an awesome timeline, it kept me enjoyed with it's smoothness on overall making strategy and beautiful, just gorgeous visuals. It has you choosing the city and country you want to choose, making strategy and gathering resources with citizen and exploration. The flaw here is that it is rather too familiar to be anything revolutionary.
    However, the old AOE gameplay is fantastic and the visuals will blow you away. It's another great game of the series and it's remarkable. (Final Score: 8.77)
  2. May 12, 2015
    Graphics: 8.5 Sound: 8.0 Gameplay: 8.0 Fun/Story: 8.0

Solid and beautiful game. It lacks some innovation but still my favorite strategy game franchise.
  3. JonM
    Oct 26, 2009
    I thought this game was a great improvement from AOE2 because of the superior graphics (To AOE2). I am a little annoyed at the card system it made (That's why its an 8 of 10). Instead of all countries BASICALLY having the same units, there is a main spread. Each country has its own strength and are equally powerful if you use them the right way (AOE2 the pawning factions were was I thought this game was a great improvement from AOE2 because of the superior graphics (To AOE2). I am a little annoyed at the card system it made (That's why its an 8 of 10). Instead of all countries BASICALLY having the same units, there is a main spread. Each country has its own strength and are equally powerful if you use them the right way (AOE2 the pawning factions were was just Vikings, Tuetonics, Mongols, and Huns). The AI did not improve, that's not so bad because the AI is smart. Should be recognized as AOE's series "last game" (That I know of, besides War Chiefs). Expand
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    The realistic graphics is the first thing a player notice in the game. But as the game goes on, you find yourself trapped in the huge number of different tasks your must complete in order to grow your village, collect as many resources as you can and build a considerable defense so you don't get caught off guard, and eventually attack. This is the definition of RTS and this game has theThe realistic graphics is the first thing a player notice in the game. But as the game goes on, you find yourself trapped in the huge number of different tasks your must complete in order to grow your village, collect as many resources as you can and build a considerable defense so you don't get caught off guard, and eventually attack. This is the definition of RTS and this game has the best of it. You don't get bored, because you don't stop commanding your citizens for a second, and you don't get tired of doing the same thing over and over. Different nations allow different tactics, units, buildings keeps you playing and the language npc's speak can be fun. Also the campaign is very interesting, although it's not the best I've seen. Expand
  5. Yablo
    Jan 9, 2006
    I love thise game... no more wasting time on making buildings to get resources in faster. The cards add great new demension to the strategy of the game. The only thing that needs to be worked on is the hit points of buildings.. they go down a bit fast.
  6. NoahT.
    Mar 20, 2006
    I liked the diversity of the units and buildings including native americans. I cant wait for the expansion pack to come out.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    This is, in a few words, the best RTS among ''classical rts''. A game with an interesting, but not complex economy; a base to build and defend, your homecity to level up...Then i have to say i love mechanics like rock-paper-scissor in battles (i.e. cannons>pikes>horses>archers ...), and DECKS to build are a good way to break monotony even with the same ''nation'' used over and over.
    With
    With AoE3 i started playing online in a more ''serious'' way, if is it possible to say that ;)
  8. Jan 13, 2013
    Really Enjoyed the second game in this series, and I love this game even more, the campaign left more to be desired, and was too short in my opinion, in comparison to the other games in the series, but new features such as a home city add a new layer of strategy to the game which makes it a lot more enjoyable and easier to get involved with.
  9. Mar 25, 2013
    This was the game I grew up with. I had lots of fun playing this for hours and hours. Great game, Great campaign, almost great everything. The multiplayer was very fun, but I would often find lot of issues with the connection and the horrible lag. I also later discovered that when I played Age of Empires 2, it had a much better feel then Age of Empires 3. I felt something was stripped offThis was the game I grew up with. I had lots of fun playing this for hours and hours. Great game, Great campaign, almost great everything. The multiplayer was very fun, but I would often find lot of issues with the connection and the horrible lag. I also later discovered that when I played Age of Empires 2, it had a much better feel then Age of Empires 3. I felt something was stripped off of Age of Empires 3, that should of not been stripped off. Overall great game and I wish more people would play the Age of Empires franchise. Expand
  10. MorganC.
    Jan 3, 2006
    A solid game. A little repetitive, but well worth your money.
  11. LarryThompson
    Sep 29, 2006
    This game is really cool and i think it would be nice is they made age of empire 4:The cold war or word war two and Wold war one. Im 15 year's old and i say it's awsome! [some day i wish i can help you guy's desine one of my idea's or your's! But i dont have the game yet but i will get it soon. Please reture a response and what you think! Thank you!
  12. brian
    Oct 28, 2007
    for the regular gamer that well likes a good game aoe 3 is cool. i think "dan b" is too harsh. its an improvement on the previous aoe games, easier to play and more fun - thats what a game is supposed to be. if u dont like it then make a better one yourself!
  13. Mobius
    Oct 19, 2005
    Graphics are an improvement and if you liked age 1&2 then you will see they have kept the exact same gamepay in age 3. At first glance the game looks the same as age of mythology and sounds the same also. but overall its a good game and you should many hours of fun out of it.
  14. Christian
    Oct 19, 2005
    I don't see why people are so hard on this game, try the demo first if you're skeptical. It's great: super fun, great graphics, and amazing physics. It may not be genre-bending, but it's not meant to be. It's good at what it aimed to be good at.
  15. DarrenD.
    Oct 24, 2005
    A solidly entertaining game with nicely focused and satisfying gameplay. Ensemble Studios continues to polish the Age of Empires series to perfection, and this latest title is no exception.
  16. RobertN.
    Oct 24, 2005
    Although this game does not reach the height of the great AoE2 it is still a good example of a well made, fairly solid RTS. The game play is redesigned so that you can receive home city shipment which makes the game a little more fast paced than AoE2 and gives you plenty room to expand with tons of technologies and the ability for your Home City to gain levels. All Civilizations are very Although this game does not reach the height of the great AoE2 it is still a good example of a well made, fairly solid RTS. The game play is redesigned so that you can receive home city shipment which makes the game a little more fast paced than AoE2 and gives you plenty room to expand with tons of technologies and the ability for your Home City to gain levels. All Civilizations are very unique giving the player many playing style options. In spite of what many have said, the economical part of the gameplay has not lost its importance at all! The concept is exactly the same: the more settlers you have working on a resource the more of that resource you will collect. You also have many technologies that allow you to gain resources faster. You can NOT expect any RTS to exhibit real life scenarios perfectly at the expense of Gameplay. Even in AoE2, when a villager would build a house, they did not need to stop by the lumber mill to pick up wood. That would be annoying. I would just be supplied automatically. In a sense, AoE3 just eliminates another Expand
  17. SouravM.
    Oct 26, 2005
    This is superb. Much better than previous AOE. Vast attractive and very nice gameplay.
  18. BrianH.
    Oct 26, 2005
    Oh... god I love this game. I got the Collectors edition($70), and it was totally worth it. I got an art book, a poster, the soundtrack, along with a bevy of other AoE3 related goodies (and the game itself, of course) I love the systems of this game... There were a couple of things that bugged me a little (walls only upgrade once, little things like that) but the thing it kept the most, Oh... god I love this game. I got the Collectors edition($70), and it was totally worth it. I got an art book, a poster, the soundtrack, along with a bevy of other AoE3 related goodies (and the game itself, of course) I love the systems of this game... There were a couple of things that bugged me a little (walls only upgrade once, little things like that) but the thing it kept the most, was good old fashioned difficulty level! this game is hard... well wait, let me rephrase that, this game is EASY...on easy, average on normal, and HARD ON HARD!!! GOD ITS DIFFICULT!!! ugh... and I swear if anyone calls me a n00b... >.>. but yeah, i love it. The enemy AI is awesome, they will flank you, pincer you, do all sorts of fun stuff *shiver* they've gotten me with the pincer several times, BUT THATS NOT THE POINT!!!! this game rox... thats my story and Im stickin to it. Expand
  19. JoeyS.
    Nov 30, 2005
    Really enjoyed the game. The graphics were great. A few MINOR flaws, but still a great game. Recommended.
  20. MarkR.
    Apr 24, 2006
    A real step forward for the series in my opinion. I have come to appreciate the many strategies and depth this game offers which I was too young to appreciate in the previous games (making this feel like the best one). The Graphics and Sound are immersive and although there are some balance problems it is probably my favourite game of all time just ahead of Counter-Strike. Although not A real step forward for the series in my opinion. I have come to appreciate the many strategies and depth this game offers which I was too young to appreciate in the previous games (making this feel like the best one). The Graphics and Sound are immersive and although there are some balance problems it is probably my favourite game of all time just ahead of Counter-Strike. Although not tired of this I eagerly anticipate the expansion pack. Expand
  21. TransC.
    Jun 17, 2006
    A great game. If you take the most favorable review, and improve everything in it half over again, that's how I feel about AoE3. The one problem is a few bugs, but they can be easily fixed by patches.
  22. LPG.
    Sep 6, 2006
    it rocks. The graphics are smooth and realistic and the RTS part is brillant. A must for all age players!
  23. SergeyS.
    Dec 20, 2006
    Surprisingly addictive. Got this game free with my new PC and not expecting much from a free add-on I decided to give it a shot and ended up playing 5 hours straight. What really draws you in is the storyline, not the best I've seen, but gets you going.
  24. DanC.
    May 8, 2007
    Yes, it's not much of an update for the older ones, but it's classic AOE just with way cool graphics and physics. The storyline is excellent and very challenging on hard level. Multiplayer is good, me and my bro can play over our WI-FI network and the online function is awesome. Only problems are no multiplayer save and the scenario generator is hard to use.
  25. Tom
    Sep 20, 2007
    A great follow up to the other AOEs but definitly not as good as the 2nd AOE.
  26. RTSgamer
    Nov 13, 2008
    LAN playing is greatly enhanced in AOE3. Faster paced game; less focus on resource gathering, and more on battles. I have played AOE and AOE2, and ignoring the graphics, I dislike how slow troops train. It takes forever just to make an army. AOE3 offers much better graphics, and anyone who has decent hardware and actually gets into the game will have a blast. The rock, paper, scissors LAN playing is greatly enhanced in AOE3. Faster paced game; less focus on resource gathering, and more on battles. I have played AOE and AOE2, and ignoring the graphics, I dislike how slow troops train. It takes forever just to make an army. AOE3 offers much better graphics, and anyone who has decent hardware and actually gets into the game will have a blast. The rock, paper, scissors element is much more emphasized, and to beat your opponent you must utilize that. Expand
  27. ConnorM.
    Jan 27, 2010
    People that are making bad comments about this game are probably noobs because they keep getting owned, even if they're still in Age 1. So that explains why there aren't many people online. I also love the fact that you can also use CPUs online, and building limits is a smart idea, even on units. my message to you haters, get some skills and you'll change your mind on this People that are making bad comments about this game are probably noobs because they keep getting owned, even if they're still in Age 1. So that explains why there aren't many people online. I also love the fact that you can also use CPUs online, and building limits is a smart idea, even on units. my message to you haters, get some skills and you'll change your mind on this game. I don't care if you become hypocrites, I'm fine with it. Expand
  28. Jan 23, 2011
    It's a shame that Microsoft disbanded Ensemble Studios, they created a great game. The graphics are amazing, especially being a 6 year old game. The single-player campaign was decent, it was somewhat interesting but their were some awkward cut-scenes. What makes this game so addicting is its multiplayer. Yes, the game is slowly dying, like all old games do, but their are fan patches andIt's a shame that Microsoft disbanded Ensemble Studios, they created a great game. The graphics are amazing, especially being a 6 year old game. The single-player campaign was decent, it was somewhat interesting but their were some awkward cut-scenes. What makes this game so addicting is its multiplayer. Yes, the game is slowly dying, like all old games do, but their are fan patches and many other options. You shouldn't have a problem finding a game online. Overall, well worth your money. Expand
  29. Jun 6, 2011
    Awesome! I havent played aoe 2, and when i find it i will : ), but this is one of my favorite games. while living with several annoying people i managed to play this game so much, that i overheated my computer and crashed my hard drive. i bought a new one, and appearently my computer isnt compatable anymore.. anyways i loved it so much i gave it to a friend for his b-day(and $20)... backAwesome! I havent played aoe 2, and when i find it i will : ), but this is one of my favorite games. while living with several annoying people i managed to play this game so much, that i overheated my computer and crashed my hard drive. i bought a new one, and appearently my computer isnt compatable anymore.. anyways i loved it so much i gave it to a friend for his b-day(and $20)... back to the game, the single player is the biggest cob job i have ever seen, but the multiplayer is very addicting. this is almost like suited up stronghold 2 with other players. there are several strategies to win and overall, i would reccomend this to anyone who has the time to play a 2 hour long game of eco-based warfare. Expand
  30. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is awesome. It has nice graphics. It's great for LAN games. And it has excellent game play. I couldn't ask for more in an rts. And the home city system is awesome. It makes each game feel like you're building a colony.
  31. May 16, 2012
    It is a little disappointed, but still it delivers fun, and It is great. It is good looking, and haves some great units. The graphics are really good, and the new Home City system is a blast! But it isn't good as the sequel of the original game, Age of Empires 2. And you really want to know what disappointments it haves? It is with a poor campaign and with a not changed gameplay from theIt is a little disappointed, but still it delivers fun, and It is great. It is good looking, and haves some great units. The graphics are really good, and the new Home City system is a blast! But it isn't good as the sequel of the original game, Age of Empires 2. And you really want to know what disappointments it haves? It is with a poor campaign and with a not changed gameplay from the first. (8.5) Expand
  32. May 24, 2012
    The concept of the game isn't new at all. Sure, the graphics aren't that bad, but the biggest disappointment I felt came from the reduced unit and nation diversities, that can't be satisfied even though you bought the whole expansions pack.
  33. Jan 13, 2013
    A very satisfactory gaming experience. Good plot, awesome characters, exciting gameplay, and a very intricate level editor. The multiplayer is fun and engaging, and the maps are creative. A real winner.
  34. Sep 13, 2013
    First of all, I want to give Ensemble Studios my thanks for creating one of the most iconic and widely-cherished RTS series of all time. Second of all, I want to say I think this game has been pretty harshly treated in the user reviews. The main reason for this overcritical attitude is the large number of gameplay innovations and evolutions introduced by Ensemble in what was one of theirFirst of all, I want to give Ensemble Studios my thanks for creating one of the most iconic and widely-cherished RTS series of all time. Second of all, I want to say I think this game has been pretty harshly treated in the user reviews. The main reason for this overcritical attitude is the large number of gameplay innovations and evolutions introduced by Ensemble in what was one of their last games.
    I think the deviations in formula were a risky move but they definitely helped revitalize the series AoE II is still a solid game, but it epitomizes the style of pre-2000 RTS games. Ensemble needed to make some real changes or it was possible the series would become stale and outdated only its third full release. A couple of of these changes were definitely questionable (I'll mention them throughout the rest of this review) and they stop AoE III from being a 9/10 game but most of them are welcome additions in my eyes.
    Graphically, Age of Empires III is gorgeous. The unit models haven't improved a huge amount from Age of Mythology, but the textures are more vivid and crisp than ever. Damage animations on buildings look great, with realistic-looking explosions and chunks of debris adding to the chaos of battle. Overall the art-style is both rugged and colourful and it looks beautiful across the board I just wish I could zoom out further! Thankfully there is a great mod that lessens the restrictions on zooming but I don't get why Ensemble chose to lock you into such a small field of view.
    The card system is interesting, and both allows for and encourages experimenting with dynamic strategies. There's more differences between factions than ever and the card system adds even more variety in strategies. There are many viable playstyles in AoE III turtling is always an option because of buildings like the plantation, which are an unlimited supply of coin (replacing gold stone has been removed completely which is a bit of a shame) and really great fortifications. Outposts are effective and the wall placement system is just fantastic even more refined than Age of Mythology's.
    At first I wasn't a fan of the circular maps as opposed to the square and rectangular maps Age fans are used to, but after a while it really only bothered me when it came to using the map editor.
    A more sticking criticism is the simplification of the skirmish/random map options. You can have a maximum of two teams that's it. Your only options are playing FFA or a two-team battle, and it's pretty baffling that there aren't more choices.
    All in all AoE comes close to topping AoM as my personal favourite game developed by Ensemble, but it doesn't quite manage it.
    RIP Ensemble Studios and RIP AoE IV and V.
  35. DannyR.
    Oct 29, 2005
    Great game.
  36. SashaC.
    Oct 13, 2005
    Amazing graphics, unbeliaveable details, great AI and game playing.
  37. HansW.
    Oct 22, 2005
    Cool game absolutly brilliant.
  38. ScottM.
    Jan 20, 2006
    An inovative game with excelent graphics and gameplay that stands with the rest of the series. The Havok phisics make blowing your enemy off cliffs and across batlefields beautiful. The online is done quite well while it has a flaw. Only one online account can be created for every cd key and the account cannot be edited. The main game was ok but I would have rather seen it based on real An inovative game with excelent graphics and gameplay that stands with the rest of the series. The Havok phisics make blowing your enemy off cliffs and across batlefields beautiful. The online is done quite well while it has a flaw. Only one online account can be created for every cd key and the account cannot be edited. The main game was ok but I would have rather seen it based on real battles following Nepolian, war of 1912, seven years war or something like that, instead it portrayed a dull story about an old knighthood.Despite hte few quirks I still really recomend this game, it is beutiful and excellent for lans. Expand
  39. TomH.
    Jun 6, 2006
    10 out of 10, absolutely brilliant, superb graphics, superb gamplay, online play is the best out of all the games features. i regularly play online mulitplayer, i rarely play the storylines. This game is a MUST if you have broadband.
  40. BobB.
    Jul 4, 2007
    A must have for strategy game enthusiasts.
  41. Sep 3, 2010
    Fantastic, the definitive RPG that hasn't been beat since. With all the little quirks that just make a game come to life.. such as the settlers happy responses to your every will and command, to sending your soldiers into battle, really makes you feel like you're in the Age of these Empires and you are god.. what more could you want from a game? Must Play.
  42. GlenMcGor
    Sep 9, 2005
    From playing the demo, one can say that this might be the best Age series yet. Although some troubling issues with the Home City concept, and overall pathfinding issues might bring this gem in the making down. But let us wait for the final version, before we proclaim our verdict upoin ES.
  43. KevinR.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Anyone who thinks the game sucks is smoking somthing.
  44. Feb 24, 2012
    Great game really, different than othe AOE games, this game is based on building your colony in the new world with getting shipment from your home city, the system of home city is really great, building a deck and unlocking new shipment is very intersting and will keep you playing, there are a lot of ways to play for every nation in the game and they are vastly different, the skirmish modeGreat game really, different than othe AOE games, this game is based on building your colony in the new world with getting shipment from your home city, the system of home city is really great, building a deck and unlocking new shipment is very intersting and will keep you playing, there are a lot of ways to play for every nation in the game and they are vastly different, the skirmish mode is brilliant, maps and graphics are beautiful, the sound is very crisp and suitable, for such a game released in 2005, this game really lives on (graphics for example is better than the new rts SH3), go to multiplayer you will see a lt of people still playing, you wont find any new game like this style (Historic RTS) anymore so you just have this great game. Get the complete edition with the two expantions, and you will play it forever. Expand
  45. Aug 13, 2012
    Technically is amazing, and it haves a great campaign. Let's not forget about one of the most exiting parts, Skirmish. It's really addictive to level up and upgrade your city. And the Home City option is really good, but the gameplay seems exactly the same, so that's why It's not amazing. But still with the great story and worth adds, this game is a must buy. 87 out of 100
  46. Sep 18, 2012
    i used to be an AoE II player.now i play Aoe III quite often.i see the game was released in 2005.compared to other games in the same period,this game's the graphic was extremely outstanding.now people play games with a much stricker attitude since more games are available.
    some sections was cut in this game:theres no more the US,USSR,Spain (they do exist in mods though),etc.and there are no more airplanes no more more weapons.
  47. Nov 3, 2012
    I had a lot of fun playing this, With a total game play of 25 Hours to play the Complete Edition.
    The only issue i really had is that it did get quite repetitive after a while.

The details are still pretty good for a older game, The story was fun to for me at least.
    I did get this game on sale though, I'm not sure if i would spend the full price on it. (37 Euro).
  48. Jun 17, 2013
    un excelente juego con varias cosas por destacar entre estas la originalidad y hermosos mapas con cosas grandes por descubrir dentro de el, un buen tema musical.
    Lo que lamento es el pixelado pero no es algo tan grave para bajarle calificacion
  49. Sep 2, 2013
    EXCELENCIA Y PERFECCIÓN, esta gran combinación es mi favorita, en especial si se habla de un videojuego, si se habla de AGE OF EMPIRES, con esta tercera entrega el juego logra mejorar en varios aspectos, logra entretener y lo mas importante divertir al jugador, muy original y logra mostrar la capacidad que tiene MICROSOFT de impresionar.
  50. Feb 15, 2014
    best game ever. you can't compare it with aoe2, another world. i need the 150 words aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  51. Apr 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Game according to me.................is ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER, I have tried AoE2 (this is technically a venn diagram of the 2) and it is a mess, 1-Villagers must return to homebase or whatever building just to return resouces I mean, 1 second your villager is carrying resources, the next he gets creamed leaving you with a dead colony. Also for those ofyou who think the campaigns are lame, but atleast it combines a little myth, I mean it doesn't mean it's completely magic, in AoE2 you've got several short campaigns, with what? No interrelation Now I really don't have time to write all of this but here's a comparison of the 2
    AoE3/AoE2
    Fast Resource Collection/Slow Resource Collection
    Home Cities and Cards/No Cards nor Home Cities
    Good Skirmish Mode/Horrible Skirmish mode
  52. Aug 8, 2014
    The game is good for strategy game. The storyline history is the purpose of game. However the game is not very popular. Although the gameplay and graphic is good.
  53. Jan 7, 2014
    Played it for days but the game isn't so attractive. Age of 2 and 1 was more attractive because these two games chosen more interesting topics like Medieval and Civilizations of First Age.
  54. Jan 29, 2014
    Age of Empires III was such an amazing game, with fantastic graphics and a lot of new and cool features! And I know Age of Empires IV would be even better, I'll never stop believing!
  55. Feb 26, 2014
    Top RTS: Red Alert, Star Craft 1, Age of Empires 3

I know there are a lot of AOE2 fans out there who hate on this game....it is all misplaced hate. Villagers are still "weak points" that can be exploited and must be micro controlled. removing the Camp aspect of the game streamlines the whole system. The whole game is pushing you to pressure your enemy early and often in order disrupt
    Top RTS: Red Alert, Star Craft 1, Age of Empires 3

Villagers are still "weak points" that can be exploited and must be micro controlled. removing the Camp aspect of the game streamlines the whole system. The whole game is pushing you to pressure your enemy early and often in order disrupt their flows. It does make map control slightly less relevant, but it also means that troop positioning, flanks and tactical withdrawal makes a whole lot more sense. Establish forward troop production bases and enclaves.

AoEIII is a streamlined, highly flexible RTS that can punish or reward tactics.
    Like all RTS it has "cookie cutter" flavor of the month builds and some empires are less balanced, but you should really enjoy most any game you play of AOEIII.

Single player is weak, this is an online game to play with and against friends/foes.

AI is very good overall.
  56. Jun 30, 2014
    This is a really fun to play RTS, which was the most gorgeous at the time it came out and the water graphics today still surprise me for being made in 2005. The map design for random maps are decent, some are a little too low on food and sparse on trees so you feel like you are screwed if you spawn in certain locations. I'm reviewing basically the online portion, but I had played theThis is a really fun to play RTS, which was the most gorgeous at the time it came out and the water graphics today still surprise me for being made in 2005. The map design for random maps are decent, some are a little too low on food and sparse on trees so you feel like you are screwed if you spawn in certain locations. I'm reviewing basically the online portion, but I had played the campaign before and it was quite memorable with nice cutscenes as well. Other than French, all of the civilizations you get to choose from are quite even. I can play with Dutch, English or Russians and do just as good with different techniques. The unit design is good and the formations are quite easy to set up. I also like how you can toggle the amount of exp each player has online and if there are idle villagers. I wish that you had the ability to swap a medium/hard AI if someone dropped out of an online game because it happens a lot due to people with bad internet aswell.

If you are looking for a really solid classic style RTS, that has updated the farms/mills and ability to not have your villagers run back to a storehouse or town center every time to drop stuff off, ala warcraft 3 and AOE 2, then you are in for a real treat. There are so many types of home city drop offs for each city, so you will be choosing new decks frequently for each map or type of opponent you are facing. The ability to change things in your home city is quite cool too. I'd give this game an 8.5/10 for graphics, gameplay and replayability but I can't so I'll give it an 8/10. Don't think it deserves a 9.
  57. Oct 6, 2014
    Great Game t say the least, amazing graphics improvements from prior Age of Empires Games and addition of other features such as Home cites and leveling systems is awesome, another great feature in which adds another element of strategy's the "cards" system in which allows different civilizations to have specialty cards in which can be called in during game, thus adding a whole new elementGreat Game t say the least, amazing graphics improvements from prior Age of Empires Games and addition of other features such as Home cites and leveling systems is awesome, another great feature in which adds another element of strategy's the "cards" system in which allows different civilizations to have specialty cards in which can be called in during game, thus adding a whole new element of flavor in this already flavorsome game. Whether playing LAN with Friends or online it always proves to be an interesting and action filled experience, where strategy is key, well done Ensemble Studios and Microsoft Games for producing a series in which delivers every time, definitely would recommend this game to any strategy enthusiast or person interested in the genre of strategy. Expand
  58. Nov 13, 2014
    I must be one of the only people on Earth who prefers AoE3 to its predecessor. 2 is heavy on micromanagement and the mechanics highly favor a defensive strategy, whereas 3 streamlines many elements to cut down on micro; in that regard, I find 3 to be more accommodating of a wider range of strategies, including more high-risk and aggressive options.

AoE2 is for tactics lovers who want to

AoE2 is for tactics lovers who want to maneuver individual units in precise ways, exploiting the game's idiosyncrasies to their fullest. AoE3 can justifiably be criticized for offering fewer rewards for system mastery in this regard. However, I feel that this shortcoming is more than made up for by the new opportunities that are presented once the player's attention is no longer be focused on the minute details of individual soldiers' actions.

On its own merits, AoE3 is a gorgeous depiction of Enlightenment warfare. The greatest highlight is the Home City system, which adds a great deal of character and uniqueness to each civilization in a way that rewards extended play. I don't know how many hours I spent mastering the Dutch and the Russians - each civilization is unique in play style to begin with, and the Home City adds an entirely new and rewarding layer of depth to strategic decision-making each session. It's perhaps a borrowed feature from the grand strategy or 4X genres, but it blends seamlessly with the established RTS mechanics.

The second greatest talking point is the naval warfare system - the variety and utility of various ship classes is fantastic, as is the separate population pool for naval units. The only complaint I have is that there are few maps that really give the navy room to play a dominant role in earning the victory.

Of course, the fundamental gameplay mechanics set down in previous editions remain as solid as ever.

I must have spent hundreds of hours with this game in high school summers. Now that it's available on Steam, I may spend a few hundred more...

P.S.: watching your infantry chuck Molotov cocktails and flaming trash at enemy buildings, which are incrementally blown to smithereens in a truly spectacular fashion, is a treat. :)
  59. Jan 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 9 out of 10, and only because i won't give any game a 10 unless it changes my life so drastically that i will play it forever, anyway, let's get right into it. This game is living up to it's legacy, in being innovative and fresh, even now, all this time passed, it still my most played RTS game apart from the original stronghold, but this game I still play, even this very day I played 3 games, sadly however some bugs never got sorted out and the connection in online multiplayer isn't always stable, let alone not being able to join, but this can be easily fixed and forgiven, when enough research is put into it, you gotta port-forward !
    The campaigns are immersive and, not like the former aoe's are fictional and follow a single family in an epic struggle against the circle (a bunch of templars and fanatics on the lookout for the fountain of youth)
  60. May 23, 2015
    CZ:
    Fantastická real-time strategie ze staré školy. Nádherná grafika, fungující fyzika a celková myšlenka Age of Empires, která nikdy neomrzí. Dobové zasazení je perfektní, jako zbytečnost hodnotím systém domovských měst. Je také škoda, že ve hře je oproti druhému dílu menší možnost výběru ras.
  61. Aug 24, 2015
    Good game, nice graphics and will keep you playing for a long time. So if you like strategy games and war games you should definnitelly play this game.
  62. Oct 12, 2015
    If you're a fan of classic RTS games, this is definitely a must have because it is the best in the genre. It is a huge improvement over Age of Empires II with updated graphics and gameplay features. Even if you're not into playing games, this game is sure to entertain you for hours without a doubt. It also has good replay value.
  63. Nov 14, 2015
    Good solid RTS game. Very good, actually. However not up to par when compared with its predecessors. I would recommend Empire Earth 2 over this.
    Introduces some cool new concepts but as a whole it lets the amazing AOE series down.
  64. Nov 20, 2015
    Age of Empires takes the franchise into a great finish for Ensemble Studious. Better graphics, better campaign and more maps. Bu the cons are that there is only 3 resources to gather, witch makes the game easier and the AI is really passive on Easy and Normal. Now they added in Sandbox difficulty setting in witch the AI does nothing, its like its taunting me by easy it is. But on theAge of Empires takes the franchise into a great finish for Ensemble Studious. Better graphics, better campaign and more maps. Bu the cons are that there is only 3 resources to gather, witch makes the game easier and the AI is really passive on Easy and Normal. Now they added in Sandbox difficulty setting in witch the AI does nothing, its like its taunting me by easy it is. But on the otherhand, the harder you go, it gets nearly impossible on the highest settings. The biggest complaint is that the maps are really small and theres only 2 teams. Why? Only 2 teams on small maps? Well... it is still worth buying. Expand
  65. Feb 9, 2016
    I recently rediscovered this game, and it definitely is a fine successor to AoE III. Gameplay is somewhat different with the new card system but it kind of enhances the game. However, the online multiplayer system is full of people who know what they are doing and sometimes lack tolerance for noobs. Storyline is good but does not follow historical events in the same way AoE II did.I recently rediscovered this game, and it definitely is a fine successor to AoE III. Gameplay is somewhat different with the new card system but it kind of enhances the game. However, the online multiplayer system is full of people who know what they are doing and sometimes lack tolerance for noobs. Storyline is good but does not follow historical events in the same way AoE II did.
    Overall a good game with good graphics and dynamic gameplay in which you need to spend time and effort to be good versus other humans.
  66. Mar 10, 2016
    Este jogo é incrível! Eu recebi e ainda não posso parar de jogar. Os gráficos são tão detalhadas para um game e é desafiador, mas divertido e terá que jogar por horas! A história é complexa e profundamente pensado. O melhor jogo que eu já joguei de forma
  67. Jun 29, 2016
    Great strategy game. The campaign as well as multiplayer are fun and well designed. Can be played casually or more hardcore, it's fun either way. This was one of my first if not my first pc game ever and i have some amazing memories playing this with my friend.
  68. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 7
    Sound : 7
    Overall : 8

1. Those looking for a complex and interesting real-time strategy game with fantastic good looks and some historical flavor will find just what they want in Age of Empires III.
    Age of Empires III takes the conservative approach to the conundrum of how to craft a new experience that remains faithful to the original. While that ensures fans will immediately feel at home with an old friend, it's questionable whether it sets another standard, or merely follows its own.
  3. Age of Empires III would be a damn fine RTS if it came out five years ago. Instead, it's some impressive modern technology and bold gameplay ideas unfortunately saddled by an outdated take on the genre.