7.6

1. Nov 23, 2012
    This is, in a few words, the best RTS among ''classical rts''. A game with an interesting, but not complex economy; a base to build and defend, your homecity to level up...Then i have to say i love mechanics like rock-paper-scissor in battles (i.e. cannons>pikes>horses>archers ...), and DECKS to build are a good way to break monotony even with the same ''nation'' used over and over.
    With
    With AoE3 i started playing online in a more ''serious'' way, if is it possible to say that ;)
  2. Jan 13, 2013
    Really Enjoyed the second game in this series, and I love this game even more, the campaign left more to be desired, and was too short in my opinion, in comparison to the other games in the series, but new features such as a home city add a new layer of strategy to the game which makes it a lot more enjoyable and easier to get involved with.
  3. Mar 7, 2013
    The realistic graphics is the first thing a player notice in the game. But as the game goes on, you find yourself trapped in the huge number of different tasks your must complete in order to grow your village, collect as many resources as you can and build a considerable defense so you don't get caught off guard, and eventually attack. This is the definition of RTS and this game has theThe realistic graphics is the first thing a player notice in the game. But as the game goes on, you find yourself trapped in the huge number of different tasks your must complete in order to grow your village, collect as many resources as you can and build a considerable defense so you don't get caught off guard, and eventually attack. This is the definition of RTS and this game has the best of it. You don't get bored, because you don't stop commanding your citizens for a second, and you don't get tired of doing the same thing over and over. Different nations allow different tactics, units, buildings keeps you playing and the language npc's speak can be fun. Also the campaign is very interesting, although it's not the best I've seen. Expand
  4. Mar 25, 2013
    This was the game I grew up with. I had lots of fun playing this for hours and hours. Great game, Great campaign, almost great everything. The multiplayer was very fun, but I would often find lot of issues with the connection and the horrible lag. I also later discovered that when I played Age of Empires 2, it had a much better feel then Age of Empires 3. I felt something was stripped offThis was the game I grew up with. I had lots of fun playing this for hours and hours. Great game, Great campaign, almost great everything. The multiplayer was very fun, but I would often find lot of issues with the connection and the horrible lag. I also later discovered that when I played Age of Empires 2, it had a much better feel then Age of Empires 3. I felt something was stripped off of Age of Empires 3, that should of not been stripped off. Overall great game and I wish more people would play the Age of Empires franchise. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2010
    Fantastic, the definitive RPG that hasn't been beat since. With all the little quirks that just make a game come to life.. such as the settlers happy responses to your every will and command, to sending your soldiers into battle, really makes you feel like you're in the Age of these Empires and you are god.. what more could you want from a game? Must Play.
  6. Jan 23, 2011
    It's a shame that Microsoft disbanded Ensemble Studios, they created a great game. The graphics are amazing, especially being a 6 year old game. The single-player campaign was decent, it was somewhat interesting but their were some awkward cut-scenes. What makes this game so addicting is its multiplayer. Yes, the game is slowly dying, like all old games do, but their are fan patches andIt's a shame that Microsoft disbanded Ensemble Studios, they created a great game. The graphics are amazing, especially being a 6 year old game. The single-player campaign was decent, it was somewhat interesting but their were some awkward cut-scenes. What makes this game so addicting is its multiplayer. Yes, the game is slowly dying, like all old games do, but their are fan patches and many other options. You shouldn't have a problem finding a game online. Overall, well worth your money. Expand
  7. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is awesome. It has nice graphics. It's great for LAN games. And it has excellent game play. I couldn't ask for more in an rts. And the home city system is awesome. It makes each game feel like you're building a colony.
  8. May 24, 2012
    The concept of the game isn't new at all. Sure, the graphics aren't that bad, but the biggest disappointment I felt came from the reduced unit and nation diversities, that can't be satisfied even though you bought the whole expansions pack.
  9. Feb 24, 2012
    Great game really, different than othe AOE games, this game is based on building your colony in the new world with getting shipment from your home city, the system of home city is really great, building a deck and unlocking new shipment is very intersting and will keep you playing, there are a lot of ways to play for every nation in the game and they are vastly different, the skirmish modeGreat game really, different than othe AOE games, this game is based on building your colony in the new world with getting shipment from your home city, the system of home city is really great, building a deck and unlocking new shipment is very intersting and will keep you playing, there are a lot of ways to play for every nation in the game and they are vastly different, the skirmish mode is brilliant, maps and graphics are beautiful, the sound is very crisp and suitable, for such a game released in 2005, this game really lives on (graphics for example is better than the new rts SH3), go to multiplayer you will see a lt of people still playing, you wont find any new game like this style (Historic RTS) anymore so you just have this great game. Get the complete edition with the two expantions, and you will play it forever. Expand
  10. Jun 17, 2013
    un excelente juego con varias cosas por destacar entre estas la originalidad y hermosos mapas con cosas grandes por descubrir dentro de el, un buen tema musical.
    Lo que lamento es el pixelado pero no es algo tan grave para bajarle calificacion
  11. Aug 4, 2013
    Odlična grafika, odlične misije, pravo osvježenje poslije AoE2............................................................................................
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    EXCELENCIA Y PERFECCIÓN, esta gran combinación es mi favorita, en especial si se habla de un videojuego, si se habla de AGE OF EMPIRES, con esta tercera entrega el juego logra mejorar en varios aspectos, logra entretener y lo mas importante divertir al jugador, muy original y logra mostrar la capacidad que tiene MICROSOFT de impresionar.
  13. Jan 29, 2014
    Age of Empires III was such an amazing game, with fantastic graphics and a lot of new and cool features! And I know Age of Empires IV would be even better, I'll never stop believing!
  14. Feb 15, 2014
    best game ever. you can't compare it with aoe2, another world. i need the 150 words aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  15. Feb 26, 2014
    Top RTS: Red Alert, Star Craft 1, Age of Empires 3

I know there are a lot of AOE2 fans out there who hate on this game....it is all misplaced hate. Villagers are still "weak points" that can be exploited and must be micro controlled. removing the Camp aspect of the game streamlines the whole system. The whole game is pushing you to pressure your enemy early and often in order disrupt
    Top RTS: Red Alert, Star Craft 1, Age of Empires 3

Villagers are still "weak points" that can be exploited and must be micro controlled. removing the Camp aspect of the game streamlines the whole system. The whole game is pushing you to pressure your enemy early and often in order disrupt their flows. It does make map control slightly less relevant, but it also means that troop positioning, flanks and tactical withdrawal makes a whole lot more sense. Establish forward troop production bases and enclaves.

AoEIII is a streamlined, highly flexible RTS that can punish or reward tactics.
    Like all RTS it has "cookie cutter" flavor of the month builds and some empires are less balanced, but you should really enjoy most any game you play of AOEIII.

Single player is weak, this is an online game to play with and against friends/foes.

AI is very good overall.
  16. Apr 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Game according to me.................is ONE OF THE GREATEST GAMES EVER, I have tried AoE2 (this is technically a venn diagram of the 2) and it is a mess, 1-Villagers must return to homebase or whatever building just to return resouces I mean, 1 second your villager is carrying resources, the next he gets creamed leaving you with a dead colony. Also for those ofyou who think the campaigns are lame, but atleast it combines a little myth, I mean it doesn't mean it's completely magic, in AoE2 you've got several short campaigns, with what? No interrelation Now I really don't have time to write all of this but here's a comparison of the 2
    AoE3/AoE2
    Fast Resource Collection/Slow Resource Collection
    Home Cities and Cards/No Cards nor Home Cities
    Good Skirmish Mode/Horrible Skirmish mode
  17. Oct 6, 2014
    Great Game t say the least, amazing graphics improvements from prior Age of Empires Games and addition of other features such as Home cites and leveling systems is awesome, another great feature in which adds another element of strategy's the "cards" system in which allows different civilizations to have specialty cards in which can be called in during game, thus adding a whole new elementGreat Game t say the least, amazing graphics improvements from prior Age of Empires Games and addition of other features such as Home cites and leveling systems is awesome, another great feature in which adds another element of strategy's the "cards" system in which allows different civilizations to have specialty cards in which can be called in during game, thus adding a whole new element of flavor in this already flavorsome game. Whether playing LAN with Friends or online it always proves to be an interesting and action filled experience, where strategy is key, well done Ensemble Studios and Microsoft Games for producing a series in which delivers every time, definitely would recommend this game to any strategy enthusiast or person interested in the genre of strategy. Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2014
    I must be one of the only people on Earth who prefers AoE3 to its predecessor. 2 is heavy on micromanagement and the mechanics highly favor a defensive strategy, whereas 3 streamlines many elements to cut down on micro; in that regard, I find 3 to be more accommodating of a wider range of strategies, including more high-risk and aggressive options.

AoE2 is for tactics lovers who want to

AoE2 is for tactics lovers who want to maneuver individual units in precise ways, exploiting the game's idiosyncrasies to their fullest. AoE3 can justifiably be criticized for offering fewer rewards for system mastery in this regard. However, I feel that this shortcoming is more than made up for by the new opportunities that are presented once the player's attention is no longer be focused on the minute details of individual soldiers' actions.

On its own merits, AoE3 is a gorgeous depiction of Enlightenment warfare. The greatest highlight is the Home City system, which adds a great deal of character and uniqueness to each civilization in a way that rewards extended play. I don't know how many hours I spent mastering the Dutch and the Russians - each civilization is unique in play style to begin with, and the Home City adds an entirely new and rewarding layer of depth to strategic decision-making each session. It's perhaps a borrowed feature from the grand strategy or 4X genres, but it blends seamlessly with the established RTS mechanics.

The second greatest talking point is the naval warfare system - the variety and utility of various ship classes is fantastic, as is the separate population pool for naval units. The only complaint I have is that there are few maps that really give the navy room to play a dominant role in earning the victory.

Of course, the fundamental gameplay mechanics set down in previous editions remain as solid as ever.

I must have spent hundreds of hours with this game in high school summers. Now that it's available on Steam, I may spend a few hundred more...

P.S.: watching your infantry chuck Molotov cocktails and flaming trash at enemy buildings, which are incrementally blown to smithereens in a truly spectacular fashion, is a treat. :)

1. Those looking for a complex and interesting real-time strategy game with fantastic good looks and some historical flavor will find just what they want in Age of Empires III.
    Age of Empires III takes the conservative approach to the conundrum of how to craft a new experience that remains faithful to the original. While that ensures fans will immediately feel at home with an old friend, it's questionable whether it sets another standard, or merely follows its own.
  3. Age of Empires III would be a damn fine RTS if it came out five years ago. Instead, it's some impressive modern technology and bold gameplay ideas unfortunately saddled by an outdated take on the genre.