8.7

1. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is a classic! It is one of the first RTS games and it is one of the best, but not the best... the best RTS is Age of Empires II, the true sequel worthy of the name! Age of Empires has good graphics even though it's 15 years old now... It's really fun and it is the definition how an RTS game should be made! An RTS shouldn't be an MMO like Age of Empires Online.
  2. Thomas
    Dec 2, 2009
    I loved this game in 1997 and I still love it now. People will say the graphics have aged but I don't care, besides the elevations everything looks real, and though it does have some flaws (units standing around after they've completed something) it is still a great game.
  3. Disguised
    Sep 13, 2007
    Age of Empires is such a good game.Tthe reasons I like it is that it's just basic gameplay with many missions and map choices and good cheats.
  4. Hallowfax
    Oct 18, 2007
    AI was the worst thing of this game, but it was the best AoE in my opinion.
  5. Dec 18, 2010
    An outstanding example of what Ensemble Studios had to offer - it's such a shame that they no longer exist! The superb controls and expansive campaigns are only let down a little by the AI, which can be a little stupid at times.
  6. DesmondL
    Jul 14, 2009
    Age of Empires has little problem of AI. But is fun to play.
  7. Ben
    Jun 5, 2005
    A classic game. I have no objection with saying that this is the second best strategy game I have played since Civ2. Awesome game play, great AI, great sound, very addictive and I could go on and on.
  8. Lucsan
    Oct 27, 2005
    Excelent RTS.
  9. Aug 20, 2011
    Played this for many hours of enjoyment when it arrived on the scene. One of the best of its day and still a good game today. The graphics have, of course, become dated, but so what. This game is a lot of fun to play and is a whole lot better than some of the over-priced garbage which has hit the shelves in more recent times.
  10. May 27, 2012
    This was the first RTS I ever played and I was entirely engrossed with the game. I enjoyed playing every aspect of the game even with mates. Excellent game.
  11. Jun 18, 2012
    Although graphics are unimpressive, gameplay impressed me.Although there are 12 civilizations,are the same units.
    Pathfinder is awful.
    The campaign attract you in, but after a while you get bored.But in skirmish and multiplayer matches are great.Combination with elements of Civilization is great.

It's a revolutionary RTS!!!
  12. Nov 10, 2013
    The game that started the best RTS series to ever see the light of the day. The only things that can be criticized about this one are the stupid AI and 50 population limit. Otherwise, great at its time, still fun today. Really a shame that Ensemble Studios were dissolved.
  13. May 12, 2015
    Graphics: 7.8 Sound: 7.5 Gameplay: 8.8 Fun/Story: 8.2

A great entry to RTS genre. Very nice and addicted gameplay. Graphics should be better but overall it´s a nice game.
  14. Aug 2, 2014
    Its graphics are undeniably outdated today, but this game was a true masterpiece. I wouldn't play it today, there are many flaws in terms of today's standards in battle or diplomacy, but back then this was great. Besides this, its success spawned lots of sequels and the "Age of Mythology" spin-off. Without this superb collection of games, things in strategy games would be very different. AIts graphics are undeniably outdated today, but this game was a true masterpiece. I wouldn't play it today, there are many flaws in terms of today's standards in battle or diplomacy, but back then this was great. Besides this, its success spawned lots of sequels and the "Age of Mythology" spin-off. Without this superb collection of games, things in strategy games would be very different. A classic. Expand
  15. Oct 16, 2014
    I can still remember the demo version which came with Windows. It was really awesome game and I already bought full version. It's still my favourite strategy game.
  16. Nov 20, 2014
    A great game that popularized historical real time strategy games. A true classic with a wealth of innovative features. It had some user-interface issue which were subsequently remedied in its superior sequel AoE2.
  17. May 18, 2015

1. Despite its flaws, Age of Empires is great fun to play. The graphics and sound effects are of high quality, and the computer plays a respectable game. In fact, there is a very large selection of AIs to choose from in the scenario editor.
  2. Combines great graphics, real-time strategy and an intriguing plot (our own history!) to raise a phoenix from the ashes of wayside, ordinary strategy games.
  3. Gamers with an interest in history, and no aversion to a rather abstract rendition of same, should love the atmosphere and feel of the game. And anyone who appreciates a solid, lovingly-crafted work of design should appreciate the overall quality of this product.