Age of Empires PC

8.7

1. Dec 28, 2016
    It deserves the HD treatment of AoE 2.

A classic game that I revisit from time to time, however it suffers from archaic bugs and design philosophies which could be fixed with a potential HD Remaster.

Pls make this dream come true!
  2. Aug 22, 2016
    I first played this game when I was 6-7 years old; it was in 1997-98. Boy, was this game addicting, and fun, and awesome. I was both scared and excited at each level I come across. Scared because each stage, in each civilization, was difficult and that I often lose. Yet for some reason, I always come back and try them again, and no one was influencing me on this. I always come back,I first played this game when I was 6-7 years old; it was in 1997-98. Boy, was this game addicting, and fun, and awesome. I was both scared and excited at each level I come across. Scared because each stage, in each civilization, was difficult and that I often lose. Yet for some reason, I always come back and try them again, and no one was influencing me on this. I always come back, feeling that maybe I I try it again and learn my mistakes, I'll be able to win it. That was my approach at each stage when I was a kid.

As an adult, I was able to solve more battle problems easily. Yet, the game was still fun as hell. Sure, the graphics of this game isn't as beautiful as the nowadays. (what can you expect from a game in 1997 be compared to 2016). But in their time, their effects were considered great; it's still beautiful even now (just looks old, that's all). While the effects/CGI is debatable, the key is the game's content and strategy. Playing through this game teaches you and helps you develop a strategic mind, esp. to young children like I was when I first played them. Another good thing is their mode of difficulty: changing levels would change the A.I.'s intelligence level you're combating against, and that's vital for a real-time strategy game. You'd need that in order to develop your mind well, and the earlier you start it the better.

Another good thing about this game is the history education. At every battle, there's a mission objective, hints, and history about them. I've fact-checked their histories, and (unless I'm wrong) none of them are BS. What ever history you read, you're safe to absorb them and be convinced that they're true. Ages of Empires is not only educational in developing a smart, strategic mind for young children, but also good (and maybe interesting) history lessons.
  3. Nov 14, 2015
    Everyone played this game, everyone. So it needs no introduction. As far as skirmish type RTS games go, this is only second to Age of Empires 2. It now resides in the 'hall of fame' as a nostalgic masterpiece... probably hanging out with Starcraft.
  4. May 18, 2015
  5. May 12, 2015
    Graphics: 7.8 Sound: 7.5 Gameplay: 8.8 Fun/Story: 8.2

A great entry to RTS genre. Very nice and addicted gameplay. Graphics should be better but overall it´s a nice game.
  6. May 5, 2015
    This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This gameThis game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. This game sucks. I wrote a longer review before but i lost it. Expand
  7. Nov 20, 2014
    A great game that popularized historical real time strategy games. A true classic with a wealth of innovative features. It had some user-interface issue which were subsequently remedied in its superior sequel AoE2.
  8. Oct 16, 2014
    I can still remember the demo version which came with Windows. It was really awesome game and I already bought full version. It's still my favourite strategy game.
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    The game that started the best RTS series to ever see the light of the day. The only things that can be criticized about this one are the stupid AI and 50 population limit. Otherwise, great at its time, still fun today. Really a shame that Ensemble Studios were dissolved.
  10. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is a classic! It is one of the first RTS games and it is one of the best, but not the best... the best RTS is Age of Empires II, the true sequel worthy of the name! Age of Empires has good graphics even though it's 15 years old now... It's really fun and it is the definition how an RTS game should be made! An RTS shouldn't be an MMO like Age of Empires Online.
  11. Jun 18, 2012
    Although graphics are unimpressive, gameplay impressed me.Although there are 12 civilizations,are the same units.
    Pathfinder is awful.
    The campaign attract you in, but after a while you get bored.But in skirmish and multiplayer matches are great.Combination with elements of Civilization is great.

It's a revolutionary RTS!!!
  12. May 27, 2012
    This was the first RTS I ever played and I was entirely engrossed with the game. I enjoyed playing every aspect of the game even with mates. Excellent game.
  13. Aug 20, 2011
    Played this for many hours of enjoyment when it arrived on the scene. One of the best of its day and still a good game today. The graphics have, of course, become dated, but so what. This game is a lot of fun to play and is a whole lot better than some of the over-priced garbage which has hit the shelves in more recent times.
  14. Dec 18, 2010
    An outstanding example of what Ensemble Studios had to offer - it's such a shame that they no longer exist! The superb controls and expansive campaigns are only let down a little by the AI, which can be a little stupid at times.
  15. Thomas
    Dec 2, 2009
    I loved this game in 1997 and I still love it now. People will say the graphics have aged but I don't care, besides the elevations everything looks real, and though it does have some flaws (units standing around after they've completed something) it is still a great game.
  16. DesmondL
    Jul 14, 2009
    Age of Empires has little problem of AI. But is fun to play.
  17. Hallowfax
    Oct 18, 2007
    AI was the worst thing of this game, but it was the best AoE in my opinion.
  18. gbarules2999T
    Sep 19, 2007
    A little lame, I must say. While it is a fun little diversion and doesn't eat up your hard drive, the graphics have not aged well, the AI is very stale, and the game wasn't that groundbreaking ten years ago. While you can get the first and second game for ten dollars, just play with it to see where AoE II came from. Don't expect anything better. Go play Rise of Nations instead.
  19. Disguised
    Sep 13, 2007
    Age of Empires is such a good game.Tthe reasons I like it is that it's just basic gameplay with many missions and map choices and good cheats.
  20. LollaV.
    Jul 20, 2007
    Quite mediocre, especially if compared to the AWESOME, perfect-scored AoE II.
  21. Lucsan
    Oct 27, 2005
    Excelent RTS.
  22. Ben
    Jun 5, 2005
    A classic game. I have no objection with saying that this is the second best strategy game I have played since Civ2. Awesome game play, great AI, great sound, very addictive and I could go on and on.
  23. Anon
    Dec 24, 2004
    If you like the idea of building a city in historical times with average graphics then this is the game for you. This makes the game sound quite boring but it can become addictive. A 6 out of 10.
  24. May 27, 2012

1. Despite its flaws, Age of Empires is great fun to play. The graphics and sound effects are of high quality, and the computer plays a respectable game. In fact, there is a very large selection of AIs to choose from in the scenario editor.
  2. Combines great graphics, real-time strategy and an intriguing plot (our own history!) to raise a phoenix from the ashes of wayside, ordinary strategy games.
  3. Gamers with an interest in history, and no aversion to a rather abstract rendition of same, should love the atmosphere and feel of the game. And anyone who appreciates a solid, lovingly-crafted work of design should appreciate the overall quality of this product.