5.7

1. May 10, 2014
    Pretty sad bottom line for a remake. Adds nothing of value to the original. Having to pay $30 for the addition of community mods that are available for free is a disgrace. 8/10 for the game itself which is a pretty good RTS , 0/10 for the low move from MS studios. Buy the Gold Edition for less than $10 and save yourselves the trouble.
  2. May 11, 2014
    Let me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken since clearly no one bothered to test the game after they made their changes. Some missions on the campaign simply cannot be beaten without using cheats now because of broken units.

As for the changes themselves, the water does look pretty. But I probably wouldn't have even noticed changed it i hadn't already known. There is absolutely NO NEW CONTENT added, it is just a rehash. I would hope they would at least do something to the horrible path finding and unit commands but apparently they could not be bothered to do that much work.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
    10/10 for the original game
    1/10 for getting people to pay twice for the exact same thing
  3. May 15, 2014
    Age of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titans themselves, and a new campaign. I've been playing it until very recently, but unfortunately the multiplayer stopped working for me, and the support I could get couldn't explain the issue, so it was me against the A.I, which was a little boring.

Then I saw this announced and knowing what they initially did with age of empires II hd (which was barely functional on my then recently armed PC) I decided to take a look on the new features and I liked them: there was a little graphical improvement, optimization for the online system through steam, and a night-day cycle. The widescreen support followed by the steam matchmaking system and multiplayer should be enough to justify the remake, right? Well no when the game is 30$! Just like with AoE II HD, Microsoft seemed to be out on the hunt of cash again, so this time I wanted to know and seeing it had been already posted in several sites I downloaded it in order to see the technical issues it bore and if it was really a remake worth of being called a remake. Expecting the worse I booted it and... surprise! it run smooth as silk, had a bunch of new graphical options (FXAA, SSAO, High quality Shadows...), widescreen support, and the minimum changes were appealing (new terrain, and water textures, light rays, redone door textures to match the race they belonged to...) so... It's a nice remake... It runs nice... WHY ON EARTH DO YOU CHARGE IT FOR MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL GAME??! TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM BUYING IT?! AoM cost me 20 bucks when I bought it in the same year of its release, in a stand of my town, with the official box, officially labeled, perfect conditions, perfectly sealed... and the expansion cost me 7.99 bucks! it says it in the cover!! why in the hell do you charge 30 bucks for a game that 12 years ago cost me 27.99, if it was 10 bucks It would be on my possession right now, if it were 15, i would be thinking about it and i'd probably had bought it, but for 30 bucks? hell no!, maybe I'll buy it after it lowers down 10 bucks or less, or maybe I just wont buy it and keep playing the original, because you're starting to seriously piss me off after AoE II HD and "the forgotten empires"
  4. May 15, 2014
    Theoretically, anyone reviewing this game should be giving it two scores. One for those who have played Age of Mythology (AoM) before, and one for those who have not.

Keeping this in mind, I would give this game a 9/10 for those who have not played it before, and an 8/10 for those who have.

AoM:EE is simply an updated HD remake of the original Age of Mythology. Similar to what
    happened with Age of Empires II HD early this year. If you are not interested in a better graphics, then this game is probably not wroth your money.

EVERY single detail in this game is 100% the same as those in the original AoM. Nothing has been changed. This is simply a package that contains: Age of Mythology, Age of Mythology: The Titans and the Golden Gift Campaign. The only details that have changed are purely aesthetic.

Don't get me wrong though this game is excellent. The graphics are much better than the original one (since the original AoM was released in 2002, it's not that hard to make the graphics better). New features include: Improved Visuals, Time of Day, Improved water, Shadows, Bump / Specular maps, Global Lighting, Antialiasing & Ambient Occlusion.

Overall, if you enjoyed the original, you will enjoy this. If you have never played the original, this is a good game to buy (at least better than the original). You will find it much more pleasing.

The only person I would not recommend this to, is one who has recently finished the original game and has a small budget
  5. May 15, 2014
    I can understand the hate about the hefty price tag. I admit, $30 is a bit much for a 12 year old game with the only real difference being the graphics. To be honest though, if you were paying attention to its pre-release, you could actually get it much cheaper, I got it for $19 from GMG when I pre-ordered it.
    I do believe however, that this game is worth the price. The graphics in my
    opinion are noticeably better and the whole steam integration makes multiplayer a smooth experience with no extra account to log in to. There are also some decent mods already available in the steam workshop and some truly awesome ones are bound to drop by at some point.
    One of my all time favourite games receiving updated graphics and a streamlined multiplayer experience is worth the time and money in my opinion. The campaign is always a lot of fun too, even all these years after the release of the original game and the added steam achievements bring more fun to the game.
  6. Jun 15, 2014
    I didn't see too much of an improvement over the OLD original game, besides the mild update on the graphics. $30 is almost criminal to charge for this. You would have expected something for that like new maps, races etc.

MEH...
  7. Jun 18, 2014
    Fantastic game... for those reading the large bulk of these negative reviews, know that the game was released a bit before it was truly ready. However, the game is now completely functional and lag free. The new competitive ladder system is awesome, and the new graphics look beautiful.

I must repeat again, a month ago, these negative reviews are understandable. The game in it's
    current state is now patched and flowing extremely smooth making a wonderful competitive RTS for fans and new players alike. Expand
  8. May 25, 2014
    A great game, as the original AOM, but have a terrible multiplayer support, with a lot of lag, almost impossible to connect to a game, old bugs even worse and a bad rank mode. Also, the new graphics have no improvement (in my opinion, worse than the old one), except by the resolution.
  9. May 11, 2014
    Overall, it's a faithful remake of the original game. The visual improvements are pretty minor, but the new features (including league-quickmatches, achievements, ratings and some other stuff) are pretty good.

Some people experience bad performance and/or lag, but this is mostly related to either using unfitting hardware or playing with people who they have a bad connection to. The
    "laggy animations" are caused by the bad connections, because it seems like the framerate from the game is connected to the netcode. People who played p2p games like Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 and C&C Generals online might know this system (game "lags" at 22 frames/sec when a person with bad connection is ingame to avoid disconnection screens every few seconds).

I have had no problems so far except for having some bad connection games with animation lag, and quickmatches are quite fun to play.

I hope that the netcode will be improved with the next patches, and after that it'll be fine.
    As for people saying "30$ is a ripoff" - well, they're imo wrong. But that's personal opinion.
  10. Jun 13, 2014
    the people responsable for this travesty are doubtlessly a bunch of souless hacks fishing for a cashgrabb without having to do any effort whatsoever. they took a good old school game, made it worst and re-released it at an awfully high price. THIS IS A SHAMEFULL DISPLAY
  11. Jun 18, 2014
    I'm just glad to be able to play this game again because I have no idea what happen to my old copy of AoM. The game looks better and kind of makes me want a brand new AoM game.
  12. Jul 31, 2014
    What a waste, i just wasted my time and money, this game is not even close to be optimized for a new pc, i have a pc with core i5 4th generation 8 gb ram and intel hd 4000 graphics, and this game is just full of lag, they dont even care about the performance and the graphics are not HD, i just threw $30 dollars

1. Jul 25, 2014
    Extended Edition is addictive, but owes it to the brilliance of Ensemble (the developers of the original AoM), not SkyBox, who basically put their name under someone else’s work after introducing changes so marginal that you might not even notice them. [07/2014, p.70]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Such derring-do from developers. They grabbed an excellent strategy game, they broke the most important part of it, and they are selling its outcome for a ungodly price. A copybook remake of how to not redo the old games. It's a great disappointment indeed.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is an excellent strategy game in its core. The scanty treatment it got for this Extended Edition makes this pretty disappointing. A few additions and graphical updates don't justify the high price tag.