6.6

1. Jan 13, 2016
    This is an old RTS game from 2002
    I usually refrain from buying old games that were released before 2007 as most have been a terrible disapointment. Even though the graphics look old, out dated and haven't been improved much at all, the game is ok to play.
    This is an old RTS game from 2002

I find the game mostly enjoyable to play even though it is an ugly game with graphics from 2000. And with AOM Extended Edition, doesn't seem like much has been added or changed/improved. It says improved graphics, but it doesn't look like it, all that seems to have improved is a bit of water texture, shadow and some lighting and it's still ugly old outdated textures.

I like how there is a mythological aspect to the game, it makes it more interesting for me, to choose a god and have various powers you can evoke, though rather limited, powers such as call down a bolt of lightning to instant kill a enemy. And a devastating meteor that will destroy a small area. These powers are very limited though, only being able to use once per map, so should be used wisely.
    I also like that there are heroes and myth units, creatures like minotaurs and hydra that become stronger and grow another head after a kill.

I get bored playing too much, usually after a couple of hours, as all it is, is fighting and nothing much else. And I feel happy when I complete a campaign scenario and then feel disapointed that there's another one to complete. So I probably don't like the campaign game much as it drags on and on.
    The campaign takes way too long to complete, usually I like lengthy games, but not when the story involved is rather boring and the scenario missions don't differ much as every one is mostly just build your base up, build army, attack and defeat. I just want it to hurry up and be over already. The campaign should be 15 to 20 scenarios at most, not 32. I prefer to play just random maps in short bursts.

And it's frustrating when you get halfway through a scenario, only to have the game crash and you try and reload a recent save but the save file is stuffed and wont load so have to start the scenario from the beginning again.

I liked the game over all and say it's worth getting and playing at a discounted price for $10 or less, but not for full price as it's just an old rehashed game which has out dated graphics and not many improvements. Nothing that modernises or makes it feel worthy of the so called Extended title.
  2. May 25, 2014
    A great game, as the original AOM, but have a terrible multiplayer support, with a lot of lag, almost impossible to connect to a game, old bugs even worse and a bad rank mode. Also, the new graphics have no improvement (in my opinion, worse than the old one), except by the resolution.
  3. May 11, 2014
    Overall, it's a faithful remake of the original game. The visual improvements are pretty minor, but the new features (including league-quickmatches, achievements, ratings and some other stuff) are pretty good.

Some people experience bad performance and/or lag, but this is mostly related to either using unfitting hardware or playing with people who they have a bad connection to. The "laggy animations" are caused by the bad connections, because it seems like the framerate from the game is connected to the netcode. People who played p2p games like Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 and C&C Generals online might know this system (game "lags" at 22 frames/sec when a person with bad connection is ingame to avoid disconnection screens every few seconds).

I have had no problems so far except for having some bad connection games with animation lag, and quickmatches are quite fun to play.

I hope that the netcode will be improved with the next patches, and after that it'll be fine.
    As for people saying "30$ is a ripoff" - well, they're imo wrong. But that's personal opinion.
  4. May 7, 2015
    Ensemble Studios, the original AoM developer, was closed by Microsoft in 2009. Extended Edition is basically a cosmetic upgrade by SkyBox labs. I, fortunately, was given a leftover promotional copy from a friend in the industry. I mean fortunately because the price tag is pretty outrageous. This is basically like buying a loaf of bread for $2, then charging $10 a slice because youEnsemble Studios, the original AoM developer, was closed by Microsoft in 2009. Extended Edition is basically a cosmetic upgrade by SkyBox labs. I, fortunately, was given a leftover promotional copy from a friend in the industry. I mean fortunately because the price tag is pretty outrageous. This is basically like buying a loaf of bread for $2, then charging $10 a slice because you toasted it......just shameless.

5/10 because the game is still a great game, but can only give half points because it is neither original, nor is it truly the work of the developer taking credit.

1. CD-Action
    Jul 25, 2014
    Extended Edition is addictive, but owes it to the brilliance of Ensemble (the developers of the original AoM), not SkyBox, who basically put their name under someone else’s work after introducing changes so marginal that you might not even notice them. [07/2014, p.70]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Such derring-do from developers. They grabbed an excellent strategy game, they broke the most important part of it, and they are selling its outcome for a ungodly price. A copybook remake of how to not redo the old games. It's a great disappointment indeed.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is an excellent strategy game in its core. The scanty treatment it got for this Extended Edition makes this pretty disappointing. A few additions and graphical updates don't justify the high price tag.