6.1

1. Jun 13, 2014
    the people responsable for this travesty are doubtlessly a bunch of souless hacks fishing for a cashgrabb without having to do any effort whatsoever. they took a good old school game, made it worst and re-released it at an awfully high price. THIS IS A SHAMEFULL DISPLAY
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    I didn't see too much of an improvement over the OLD original game, besides the mild update on the graphics. $30 is almost criminal to charge for this. You would have expected something for that like new maps, races etc.

MEH...
  3. May 11, 2014
    Let me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken sinceLet me start off my saying that I am a huge fan of AOM, it is one of my favorite games of all time. This reboot, however, is simply pitiful. Lets start off on price point. Paying $30 for a game that is 12 years old is pretty steep, but they claim to have done some work to it so I decided what the heck, I'll get it. Bad choice. Unfortunately several important units are now broken since clearly no one bothered to test the game after they made their changes. Some missions on the campaign simply cannot be beaten without using cheats now because of broken units.

As for the changes themselves, the water does look pretty. But I probably wouldn't have even noticed changed it i hadn't already known. There is absolutely NO NEW CONTENT added, it is just a rehash. I would hope they would at least do something to the horrible path finding and unit commands but apparently they could not be bothered to do that much work.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT
    10/10 for the original game
    1/10 for getting people to pay twice for the exact same thing
  4. May 10, 2014
    Pretty sad bottom line for a remake. Adds nothing of value to the original. Having to pay $30 for the addition of community mods that are available for free is a disgrace. 8/10 for the game itself which is a pretty good RTS , 0/10 for the low move from MS studios. Buy the Gold Edition for less than $10 and save yourselves the trouble.
  5. May 25, 2014
    A great game, as the original AOM, but have a terrible multiplayer support, with a lot of lag, almost impossible to connect to a game, old bugs even worse and a bad rank mode. Also, the new graphics have no improvement (in my opinion, worse than the old one), except by the resolution.
  6. Jan 3, 2015
    Another low budget piece of junk from Ensemble Studio. I have computer science education and have near 20 year experiences playing RTS games and let me tell you why this is a low budget piece of junk. I have played so many RTS games and never have seen a game where the hardest level is unplayable to me. It is obvious the game designers have never played the Titan level because it is simplyAnother low budget piece of junk from Ensemble Studio. I have computer science education and have near 20 year experiences playing RTS games and let me tell you why this is a low budget piece of junk. I have played so many RTS games and never have seen a game where the hardest level is unplayable to me. It is obvious the game designers have never played the Titan level because it is simply not playable. This is due to the low budget nature of this game and the developers have not enough time to test the game's balance. Normally within 5-10 minutes of the game, you are rushed with pre-built(not built within time frame of the game) large group of enemies, which is all but impossible to beat due to the short time frame. What is worse, sometimes this large group of enemy appears within about 5 minutes, in which time you have built less than 10 workers! To make things worse, the AI has infinite resources and every 5 minutes it sends you a large group of enemies, but on your side, you have finite resources which means even if you manage to beat the first few waves, you exhaust your resources within less than 30 minutes but AI has infinite resources, the waves the AI sends you are infinite. The whole thing is ill designed.

Also, the games has appalling routing algorithm and units often get stuck on map. Also controlling the units are very clumsy, for example the "attack move" move which is the bread and butter of the RTS games does not seem to work. It either worked like normal move or gets the units stuck. From these details you can definitely tell this is a low budget rushed product. Age of Empire 3 from the same company is about the same type of low budget junk.
  7. May 15, 2014
    Theoretically, anyone reviewing this game should be giving it two scores. One for those who have played Age of Mythology (AoM) before, and one for those who have not.

Keeping this in mind, I would give this game a 9/10 for those who have not played it before, and an 8/10 for those who have. AoM:EE is simply an updated HD remake of the original Age of Mythology. Similar to what

AoM:EE is simply an updated HD remake of the original Age of Mythology. Similar to what happened with Age of Empires II HD early this year. If you are not interested in a better graphics, then this game is probably not wroth your money.

EVERY single detail in this game is 100% the same as those in the original AoM. Nothing has been changed. This is simply a package that contains: Age of Mythology, Age of Mythology: The Titans and the Golden Gift Campaign. The only details that have changed are purely aesthetic.

Don't get me wrong though this game is excellent. The graphics are much better than the original one (since the original AoM was released in 2002, it's not that hard to make the graphics better). New features include: Improved Visuals, Time of Day, Improved water, Shadows, Bump / Specular maps, Global Lighting, Antialiasing & Ambient Occlusion.

Overall, if you enjoyed the original, you will enjoy this. If you have never played the original, this is a good game to buy (at least better than the original). You will find it much more pleasing.

The only person I would not recommend this to, is one who has recently finished the original game and has a small budget
  8. May 15, 2014
    Age of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titansAge of Mythology, one of my favorite games of all time. When I tested it back then, I felt it's uniqueness and as I progressed further into the game, I loved it even more. Then the expansion came in... My god was it good: a new race, with three different titan gods and new minor gods for those, (apart from the unique units and game system of the new race), the ability to raise titans themselves, and a new campaign. I've been playing it until very recently, but unfortunately the multiplayer stopped working for me, and the support I could get couldn't explain the issue, so it was me against the A.I, which was a little boring.

Then I saw this announced and knowing what they initially did with age of empires II hd (which was barely functional on my then recently armed PC) I decided to take a look on the new features and I liked them: there was a little graphical improvement, optimization for the online system through steam, and a night-day cycle. The widescreen support followed by the steam matchmaking system and multiplayer should be enough to justify the remake, right? Well no when the game is 30$! Just like with AoE II HD, Microsoft seemed to be out on the hunt of cash again, so this time I wanted to know and seeing it had been already posted in several sites I downloaded it in order to see the technical issues it bore and if it was really a remake worth of being called a remake. Expecting the worse I booted it and... surprise! it run smooth as silk, had a bunch of new graphical options (FXAA, SSAO, High quality Shadows...), widescreen support, and the minimum changes were appealing (new terrain, and water textures, light rays, redone door textures to match the race they belonged to...) so... It's a nice remake... It runs nice... WHY ON EARTH DO YOU CHARGE IT FOR MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL GAME??! TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM BUYING IT?! AoM cost me 20 bucks when I bought it in the same year of its release, in a stand of my town, with the official box, officially labeled, perfect conditions, perfectly sealed... and the expansion cost me 7.99 bucks! it says it in the cover!! why in the hell do you charge 30 bucks for a game that 12 years ago cost me 27.99, if it was 10 bucks It would be on my possession right now, if it were 15, i would be thinking about it and i'd probably had bought it, but for 30 bucks? hell no!, maybe I'll buy it after it lowers down 10 bucks or less, or maybe I just wont buy it and keep playing the original, because you're starting to seriously piss me off after AoE II HD and "the forgotten empires"
  9. Jul 31, 2014
    What a waste, i just wasted my time and money, this game is not even close to be optimized for a new pc, i have a pc with core i5 4th generation 8 gb ram and intel hd 4000 graphics, and this game is just full of lag, they dont even care about the performance and the graphics are not HD, i just threw $30 dollars
  10. Jun 18, 2014
    I'm just glad to be able to play this game again because I have no idea what happen to my old copy of AoM. The game looks better and kind of makes me want a brand new AoM game.
  11. May 15, 2014
    I can understand the hate about the hefty price tag. I admit, $30 is a bit much for a 12 year old game with the only real difference being the graphics. To be honest though, if you were paying attention to its pre-release, you could actually get it much cheaper, I got it for $19 from GMG when I pre-ordered it.
    I do believe however, that this game is worth the price. The graphics in my
    I do believe however, that this game is worth the price. The graphics in my opinion are noticeably better and the whole steam integration makes multiplayer a smooth experience with no extra account to log in to. There are also some decent mods already available in the steam workshop and some truly awesome ones are bound to drop by at some point.
    One of my all time favourite games receiving updated graphics and a streamlined multiplayer experience is worth the time and money in my opinion. The campaign is always a lot of fun too, even all these years after the release of the original game and the added steam achievements bring more fun to the game.
  12. Jun 18, 2014
    Fantastic game... for those reading the large bulk of these negative reviews, know that the game was released a bit before it was truly ready. However, the game is now completely functional and lag free. The new competitive ladder system is awesome, and the new graphics look beautiful.

I must repeat again, a month ago, these negative reviews are understandable. The game in it's current state is now patched and flowing extremely smooth making a wonderful competitive RTS for fans and new players alike.
  13. May 11, 2014
    Overall, it's a faithful remake of the original game. The visual improvements are pretty minor, but the new features (including league-quickmatches, achievements, ratings and some other stuff) are pretty good.

Some people experience bad performance and/or lag, but this is mostly related to either using unfitting hardware or playing with people who they have a bad connection to. The "laggy animations" are caused by the bad connections, because it seems like the framerate from the game is connected to the netcode. People who played p2p games like Battle for Middle Earth 1&2 and C&C Generals online might know this system (game "lags" at 22 frames/sec when a person with bad connection is ingame to avoid disconnection screens every few seconds).

I have had no problems so far except for having some bad connection games with animation lag, and quickmatches are quite fun to play.

I hope that the netcode will be improved with the next patches, and after that it'll be fine.
    As for people saying "30$ is a ripoff" - well, they're imo wrong. But that's personal opinion.
  14. Sep 27, 2014
    Bull **** game
    after 12 yrs the game is super badly upgraded
    water is nice but land is 'lost'!
    Shame aomx is still better than extended edition
    I think i must learn animation and then do something good of this game
  15. Oct 19, 2014
    I don't know why there are so many bad reviews for this. Yes people may think MS studios are just re-releasing the same game with slightly better graphics but in my opinion, many developers do it and get away with it. For example, The Last Of Us "Remastered" there is almost no difference yet people don't care. (By the way AOM is way better than the last of us). I think the rest of theI don't know why there are so many bad reviews for this. Yes people may think MS studios are just re-releasing the same game with slightly better graphics but in my opinion, many developers do it and get away with it. For example, The Last Of Us "Remastered" there is almost no difference yet people don't care. (By the way AOM is way better than the last of us). I think the rest of the reviews should be on the base game rather than the re-releasing of it. Overall, Probably the best £20 you'll spend in a while. Expand
  16. Dec 22, 2014
    I was about to buy this until I read the reviews. I have bought loads of games from steam but these makeovers do tend to be very superficial and the games have serious problems as described. I liked the original but unless this game is patched I will keep my money as recommended by some critics here and on steam.
  17. Feb 5, 2015
    A timeless classic, one of the best games ever. But this "remake" is a joke. People have trouble getting multiplayer to work, the game doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly as it should, horrendous optimisation and NO noticeable graphics improvement. Basically a scam. Only buy if you really love the game or haven't played it before, and at very low price.
  18. Dec 17, 2014
    Big fan of this game when it was originally released and this re-mastering didn't disappoint me at all. I should clarify that I picked this game up during a Steam sale and well after the initial launch, so I didn't experience some of the same issues others may have seen. It's a solid update that was over-priced and buggy - pick it up when it goes on sale and try to enjoy classic RTS gameplay!
  19. Dec 21, 2014
    I played this game more times, because it is really funny. Campaign is not so funny, so what is funny? Playability is well-balanced, really very well! Everything goes fluently, there is not too much things to learn, it is easy and it comes with something new after longer moment of playing. I like it, I recommend it. Good strategy game, even today!

1. Jul 25, 2014
    Extended Edition is addictive, but owes it to the brilliance of Ensemble (the developers of the original AoM), not SkyBox, who basically put their name under someone else’s work after introducing changes so marginal that you might not even notice them. [07/2014, p.70]
  2. May 27, 2014
    Such derring-do from developers. They grabbed an excellent strategy game, they broke the most important part of it, and they are selling its outcome for a ungodly price. A copybook remake of how to not redo the old games. It's a great disappointment indeed.
  3. May 19, 2014
    Age of Mythology: Extended Edition is an excellent strategy game in its core. The scanty treatment it got for this Extended Edition makes this pretty disappointing. A few additions and graphical updates don't justify the high price tag.