6.4

1. Sep 23, 2013
    Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales is set in the 17th Century Caribbean, and is in my honest opinion, the BEST offline pirate themed game on the market. The only reason I did not give a score of 10 is because the main quest of the game is flawed.

You see, Playlogic didn't plan a main quest at all; It was added in shortly before release, as was the female character Beatrice, hence why she
    is treated like a man by many NPCs in the game. Any ways, the goal is to take over all the colonies of the Caribbean, however, through my experience playing the game, captured colonies have a hard time defending themselves. You need to take it very slow and only take one colony at a time and build it up to the max before trying to capture another one. A governor needs to placed in each colony who has good Leadership, Cannon and Accuracy skills. Leadership is the most important. Thus, after each colony is upgraded to highest level (Castle) and you have a good garrison of troops, the colonies will be able to defend themselves better, however, you still may need to aid in its defense.

Furthermore, and as many have stated, the game is very buggy, but fortunately, with a mod called, "Supermod," most of those bugs have been fixed, as well as many various additions, such as access to banks, churches, brothels and islands. I believe there is even a buyable house in Guadalupe. Now, if only the creator, "CyberOps" would have fixed the colony defense. Oh well, perhaps someone will give us a patch one day, maybe even Playlogic. We can dream, right? Now, even with SuperMod, the game may still crash on occasion, but if you save often, it won't be a problem.

So, despite the main quest being a bit broken, the rest of the game is incredible. The open sea scenery is jaw dropping, towns are well developed, and sailing through storms is so realistic, it's both scary and fun. You have your choice of two characters upon game start, Blaze Sharp or his step-sister Beatrice Sharp. Then, you have a second choice of which Caribbean Power to affiliate yourself with, England, France, Holland, Spain, or my favorite, the Pirates. You can receive missions from people on the streets, in the taverns, at the store, or from the governors. The pirate governor or "Pirate King" who is located on the Island of Isla Mona will only give you missions when you acquire a high enough reputation with the pirates. A high fame I believe also helps. Also, the missions are always available. They never end. So, if you get tired of sinking ships on the sea, trading, smuggling contraband with the pirates, or harassing the colony ports, there will always be a quest from someone you can grab. The game also keeps track of how many ships you defeat, be it through cannon fire, grappling, or surrendering. Replay value is high, because the game is open-ended, therefore allowing you to do something different each time, and from what I can tell, the trade goods which colonies import/export are also randomized upon game start, including illegal contraband. As your character levels up, there are many skills and abilities to learn. If you've ever played "Pirates of the Caribbean," the system is very similar. All in all, it's a fantastic and underrated game which everyone should give a try, again, despite its flaws and bugs. Great job Playlogic! 9/10.

1. Tense, drawn-out battles ahoy! Combat at sea has never been such fun. [Sept 2006, p.96]
  2. From the unfriendly, baffling set-up screen, everything is unwieldy and cobbled together. [Oct 2006, p.79]
    This game will make you want to spend your entire life at sea, watching the flowing waves, dodging water spouts, dueling with enemy ships, and plundering booty. The rest of the game, sadly, feels more like a chore than an adventure.