Age of Wonders III PC

8.0

1. Apr 1, 2014
    AOW3 its my first game in the series, but as big fan of Heroes series(3 was the best for me) and fallen enchantress, i can say AOW3 is what heroes should evolved, its play very same as heroesFE but this time you got much more units,spells,quests.

in the tactical combat there are couple of new new ides and when you play you feel the depth, every unit had its own abilitys, i not too much(only couple of hours) but still i see and feel to whare its go...

moreover the graphics are very good and the preformance is stay on 60FPS(my card is 660gtx ti 2gb, ultra settings)
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    So what are my thoughts on Age of Wonders 3? Let me just start by saying this is going to be a subjective review. There is two ways about it. I love TBS. I love tactical combat in TBS's. I love fantasy setting and I love unique and varied races and units. Age of Wonders 3 hit all these perfectly for me. This is the game I have been waiting for and wanting.

Let me underline that I have

Let me underline that I have been participating in the beta for 2 months and have over that time clocked 180 something hours (all within the limitation of real life) in both online and offline modes (yes, you can play offline). Over that time I have gotten a good impression of what the game is about, what it delivers, but more importantly, what it can deliver. The game has such a solid mechanic, that any additional content will just improve more and more on the game.

I am not a reviewer and I don't know how to write reviews, but what I can do is give you my thoughts on the game. It is complex, it is deep and it really covers the 4X expectations. You get to explore a beautiful map, you get to exploit treasure sites by entering them, fighting the guardians and taking their loot (everything from weapons/equipment to mounts, secret spells, resources, prisoners who will join you and more). You get to expand by building new cities or by having other cities join you through diplomacy, bribes, quests or just conquest! And you get to exterminate all who stand against you in a glorious tactical combat.

You have heroes who level up and can pick traits, skills and spells as they increase in power, decking them out in magical equipment and riding fantastic mounts from spiders to hell hounds and beyond. You have units who rank up and become stronger and learn new abilities, increasing their tactical value. You have access to great spells that can shape the land, makes cities riot, devestate armies on the strategic map and summon creatures from other places. Spells that can turn the tide on the battlefield and give your opponent a surprise he or she never saw coming.

There is this and so much more! I am quite horrified to see three votes giving 1 score even before the game is released knowing everyone who has participated in the game so far has been nothing but happy with it. For me, this is just the game I have been waiting for and it combines the best of master of magic, heroes of might and magic, civilization and fallen enchantress. Seeing the game as it is and knowing it is just so incredible fun and that with each addition to it, it can only get better, this is my highest rated TBS game of my so far life time, including all the oldies and classic.

I can't wait to see other people get to try the game and leave their thoughts on it. I look forward to reading other peoples opinion on the game and I feel confident that any TBS fan will find this game to hit the mark for them.
  3. Mar 31, 2014
    Finally the perfect game to scratch my TBS/4X itch! I have a feeling that in 15 years or so I will still be playing Age of Wonders 3. I make this prediction because once in a while I still play the original AoW and it came out in 1999. So unless they come out with an AoW4 or standalone expansion that is even better in every aspect I think this game will stay on my computer and my nextFinally the perfect game to scratch my TBS/4X itch! I have a feeling that in 15 years or so I will still be playing Age of Wonders 3. I make this prediction because once in a while I still play the original AoW and it came out in 1999. So unless they come out with an AoW4 or standalone expansion that is even better in every aspect I think this game will stay on my computer and my next computer and the VR headset after... a long time.

My favorite part of AoW3 is its focus on tactical combat while still including all the 4 Xs (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) plus RPG elements. There are cities to form into an empire, heroes to level up, spells to research, dungeons to loot, resources to manage, etc... On top of it all players are engaged in battles early and often. The battles are killer fun tactical experiences that take place on their own maps separate from the primary strategy map. When a hex is attacked on the strategy map the armies/stacks in that hex and all neighboring hexes get pulled into the tactical battle. This means there could be 42 units (7 hexes x 6 units/hex) in the same battle and they could even belong to several different players! The combat mechanics like attacks of opportunity, flanking, guarding, and 3 action points to use for movement, multiple attacks, or multiple reactions are very well done. When playing single player I almost always choose to fight each battle manually because they are so much fun, but there is an option to automatically resolve them if you wish.

One thing that is disappointing about AoW3 at first glance is the number of races. Past AoW games had at least 12 races but AoW3 is releasing with 6. However, this is made up by the new class system which did not exist in previous AoW games. The developers have done an amazing job making both race and class matter. An elven archdruid feels different than a draconian archdruid or an elven warlord. Thus, instead of having simply 12 races to choose from you have 36 race/class combos (6 races x 6 classes). There are also specializations/spheres that further customize your leader and playing experience, similar to previous AoW games. I expect more races to be added in DLC or an expansion and am fine with that.

The only bad thing I can say about AoW3 is that it feels like the morale systems need to be flushed out a little more. My wish for morale is that your starting/ruling race should have more influence on the morale of your cities and units and diplomatic relations with independent cities. It was important in past AoW games. These things will probably get improved with some patches, and should not stop anyone from buying the game.

There was a period of years where I played a lot of Civ4 and some Civ5. Eventually I found myself thinking - I wish there was more action in these games and battles were more realistic like... Age of Wonders. Before AoW3 was announced, I searched for recent games with gameplay similar to AoW but nothing seemed to be on the same level. Warlock was too simple and too Civ-y... Total War just didn't draw me in... Others didn't even look worth buying. Age of Wonders seems to fill a special niche that no others do.

Bottomline: AoW3 takes many of the best parts of its predecessors plus some new goodness to create a masterpiece of the TBS/4X genre.
  4. Mar 31, 2014
    Normally i dont write a review on day one. But after watching 60+ hours of content. Visiting the aow3 forums daily and reading most of the reviews on the internet. That have been written by people who spend some effort into analysing the game. I must say this game really has a smooth launch. The game is near perfect for this niche market and beginners and veterans will just love this game.Normally i dont write a review on day one. But after watching 60+ hours of content. Visiting the aow3 forums daily and reading most of the reviews on the internet. That have been written by people who spend some effort into analysing the game. I must say this game really has a smooth launch. The game is near perfect for this niche market and beginners and veterans will just love this game.

It has good graphics, solid/great AI, clear information, a tome of wonders to look things up. endless amounts of content, a great map generator, editor, good community, great strategical depth. The game is not rushed but ready to play from day one. I could go on and on and some people have done that out here.

Normally i would rate this game around 8.6/9.2. I dont usually give that high grades. But what would you ever want more out of a game that is cheap and could be one of the greatest games of its kind. Ill give it a 10 because of people who give this game a 1/0 for minor issues like fair prices on gog or minor launch problems on day 1 (i dont have any) .
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is great and was worth waiting for. Age of Wonders 3 brings the beauty of all the previous games re-envisioned with better graphics. I also love the ability to create new customized characters and gear.
  6. Mar 31, 2014
    AoW3 is for me the best fantasy 4x experience you can get to this point and in the near future.
    i loved age of wonders - shadow magic (AoW 2.5) and had clocked many hours into the game. this new entry is loaded with depth, known from older titles with all its beloved core features. it also adds some nice new mechanics like classes, some improvements to tactical combat (flanking, opportunity attacks, etc.) and wonderful 3D visuals!
    the AI right now is very good, which for me is one big factor if a strategy, more importantly a 4x game is worth the buy. lets be honest, multiplayer is nice but most 4x lovers play singleplayer because they like epic campaigns and that is exactly what you get here. the random map generator gives out maps which just look awesome and could very well be made by hand which shows the degree of effort they put into these feature to present organic and believable playgrounds.
    the customization in this game is wonderful, starting with the many options of customization for the maps to advanced gameplay rules and not even ending at the superb character designer where you can create your leader after your liking.

i really can't understand who would give this game a negative score. has it a deep diplomacy system like the grand strategy titles (europa universalis, etc.)? no, the game is more focused on exploration, tactical combat (one if not THE main meat of the game) and RPG elements loke leader / heroe classesk, itemization and leveling. has it 100 buildings which each give +x generic production or +generic modifiers? no, it doesn't try to be an town building / management game like civilization. what the game offers is great depth in parts of 4x fantasy which every fanboy was craving for over the last decade (since AoW:SM came out).

only reasin i imagine people giving this game a 0 / 1 is if

a) they believed it to being an egoshooter

b) an CGI filled adventure / RPG game

or c) if they are warlock 1 / 2 fanboys which feel threatened by this game somehow, even though its focus is more towards the 4x (hardcore) lovers. before someone cries "fanboy yourself" then yes, i love the AoW-series. warlock 1 was nice and warlock2 seems to become a decent game which is more focused on casual gamers and cheeky humour. people should stay calm and just enjoy these games instead of feeling butthurt over their own misperception.

or of course there is d) its the internet and people are just trolling.

i say it again, everyone who loves fantasy 4x or TBS games should consider this game a must buy! there already several lets play series on youtube duo to the developer handing out preview builds to many lets players cause they stand behind their product.

peace :).
  7. Mar 31, 2014
    Let me preface this review by saying that I don't have a lot of experience in this genre outside of the civilization series which I have played since Civ II. With that being said I find this game to be excellent. It is easy to pick up and play but has depth at the same time. I love the inclusion of a story based campaign mode. Downloading and installation was painless and after I set up anLet me preface this review by saying that I don't have a lot of experience in this genre outside of the civilization series which I have played since Civ II. With that being said I find this game to be excellent. It is easy to pick up and play but has depth at the same time. I love the inclusion of a story based campaign mode. Downloading and installation was painless and after I set up an account, verified the email (which came to me in like a minute), put the settings to ultra, and away I went. All in all I highly recommend this game to any tbs fans or anyone interested in trying the genre. Expand
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    Finally the return of this Dutch masterpiece. Almost 12 years after the latest installment Age of Wonders returns bigger and more intruiging than ever. This is a must buy for every TBS gamer. It's fun, it's deep and it's challenging. The tactical combat is imho the best to ever grace a TBS game. It's not overly complicated but has so many things to tinker with and most of all is satisfyingly fun!
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    Awesome return of an epic game! Looking at the new features, e.g. 3D-engine or class-race-combinations, I am excited to finally see this game returning. Had kinda lost all hope to ever see it again, but yay! :)
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    This is the best TBS game hands down I have ever played. I had played the old ones and have been actively looking for something that gives the same experience. The tactical battle there is no other game like it, its like table top battles, it takes that idea and brings it to life, using squads of a variety of things like archers, and cavalry and play on siege base scenarios or swamps andThis is the best TBS game hands down I have ever played. I had played the old ones and have been actively looking for something that gives the same experience. The tactical battle there is no other game like it, its like table top battles, it takes that idea and brings it to life, using squads of a variety of things like archers, and cavalry and play on siege base scenarios or swamps and bridges. Or if your into games like XCOM where cover and flanking can change the game and look after your units and heros as they gain metals.

It also has a great character customization, diplomacy, I like games where I can form alliances with other races to defeat enemies, and the best thing good old hotseat! so I can play with my GF and bro.
  11. Mar 31, 2014
    This game demands time,and end-turn strategies are not for everyone.All who liked Heroes,king's bounty and aow1,2 will adore this game.It's complex game,nice looking,pretty demanding on specs.Do not buy it if you don't want to invest time and good will,this is not 'relax mode' game,it's serious and will eat you alive on harder diff. 8(just casue it's for true gamers,not casuals).10 forThis game demands time,and end-turn strategies are not for everyone.All who liked Heroes,king's bounty and aow1,2 will adore this game.It's complex game,nice looking,pretty demanding on specs.Do not buy it if you don't want to invest time and good will,this is not 'relax mode' game,it's serious and will eat you alive on harder diff. 8(just casue it's for true gamers,not casuals).10 for hardcore gamers for sure. Expand
  12. Mar 31, 2014
    A beautiful game for core of pc player. Its very polished with a lot of content. This is real pc strategy gaming. It feels like the xhild of civ and homm but it really stands in his own.
  13. Apr 1, 2014
    A very solid game and polished game. Stable too! I have played for about 4 hours and have been amazed at the depth and beauty of the game. Its been a LONG time since I played a turn based 4x game of this caliber. It also ships with an editor that looks pretty darned sophisticated (I haven't been able to explore it too much as it also looks pretty complicated).
    A lot of the negative
    A lot of the negative reviews are complaining that you need an account to play the game. I can't understand their rage as their is a big checkbox on the front screen that says "Play offline/guest account". I have played for about 4 hours and haven't even tried to get an account yet. I am pretty sure that account requirement is just for multiplayer - but I concede that perhaps it could have been presented better.
  14. Apr 1, 2014
    Improves on almost every features of a.o.w.s.m and for those who're saying that races aren't as unique, please play this game for some more time, the races are very unique just give them some more try. there can be as many as 6*6 variations of races and classes in game.
  15. Apr 1, 2014
    Absolutely delivers on everything that made Shadow Magic one of the best TBS ever made and more. Combat significantly improved, increasing unit health and eliminating misses and adding flanking makes is a huge improvement in the way combat plays out. Character creation is rich, random map generator so far seems to be a great improvement as well. The tools are also fairly robust so IAbsolutely delivers on everything that made Shadow Magic one of the best TBS ever made and more. Combat significantly improved, increasing unit health and eliminating misses and adding flanking makes is a huge improvement in the way combat plays out. Character creation is rich, random map generator so far seems to be a great improvement as well. The tools are also fairly robust so I suspect we'll be seeing some amazing maps out of the modding community. Expand
  16. Mar 31, 2014
    Aside from the earliest reviews here... getting 10's from people who have one review (this game) before the game was even released...

I have been playing for about 20 hours'ish now. The button design makes me think something isn't in focus, but otherwise I am having quite a bit of fun. The first few hours were disorienting (spend the time to do the reading when learning something new), but it has since settled in nicely.

Save... a lot. Currently having a blast.
  17. Apr 1, 2014
    Great game and certainly the best of the series and the Enemy AI is one of the best i have ever seen making the game pretty challenging at times. There is a lot of quality for a 4x strategy game
  18. Apr 1, 2014
    What a gem AoW3 is! How beautiful and enjoyable! Satisfying my inner turn based strategy addiction and going further beyond...

Sid Meier is going to play AoW3 so hard, he will probably forget the release of Civ6 for 10 years! Alas another 10 years of wait till AoW4 and Civ6. What a terrible fate for all TBS lovers!

Take my 10 and let me play!
  19. Apr 1, 2014
    This game is the best in the series, and a fantastic turn-based strategy game. And the soundtrack is incredible! This should have been the music to Lord of the Rings :)
  20. Apr 2, 2014
    Age of Wonders, in a nutshell, is a series that combines the best aspects of a Civilization game, with the best aspects of a fantasy RPG, in the same vein as games like Dominions or Might & Magic.

I've been a fan of the Age of Wonders series since Age of Wonders 2: The Wizard's Throne, and like a lot of fans I looked forward with eager anticipation to the release of a new game in this series. Age of Wonders 3 does not disappoint. Combat is much tighter and faster paced than before, and there are more interesting things to do on the world map. Graphics are perfect, by which I mean that they spent just the right amount of time and resources on them - enough to look good, but not so much as to detract from gameplay or slow down your system.

The game isn't perfect - there are still a few bugs to work out (myself and the other beta testers tried our best, but sometimes you just can't fix all of these things by release), and there isn't quite as much content (in terms of races, classes, and the like) as there was in previous installments - for example, we're down to only 6 starting races as opposed to Shadow Magic's 15 races. The developers have, however, promised to keep updating the game, fixing bugs, tightening the gameplay even further, and introducing new content. So far we've been told we'll see the return of the Halfling race, as well as the introduction of a Necromancer class and a hinted-at Merchant class.

I would recommend this game to anyone. If you're a fan of the series, definitely check it out. If you're not a fan, go ahead and check it out anyway.
  21. May 7, 2015
    The game is under-rated in my opinion. It is difficult to get into, particularly if you played AoW and AoW2 a lo, because it is fairly different and the differences are not too well explained. I love the game, though. The battle animations are great, the races feel very different, and it keeps me thinking about it way too late at night.
  22. Jul 1, 2015
    Signed up to meteoritic just to write a review of this game. My first impressions were mixed. It has kinda a steep learning curve and the in-game instruction is somewhat lacking but once you begin to develop and appreciation for the game mechanics it is truly a fantastic game. I'd definitely put it among the best games of this genre that I have played. It's immersive and played online vs.Signed up to meteoritic just to write a review of this game. My first impressions were mixed. It has kinda a steep learning curve and the in-game instruction is somewhat lacking but once you begin to develop and appreciation for the game mechanics it is truly a fantastic game. I'd definitely put it among the best games of this genre that I have played. It's immersive and played online vs. other humans it's deeply strategic.

Rated a 9 because I feel there's some small features missing mostly in terms of usability that i've seen in other 4x games but would definitely recommend. Played 300+ hours.
  23. Apr 2, 2014
    Combining the best of it's prequels and blending 4X turn based strategy with RPG elements, makes this a wonderful masterpiece.

Easy empire management combined with a deep and complex tactical combat system makes this game a must have for fans of Heroes of Might and Magic and Fallen Enchantress or Warlock. It stands out in portraying a highly detailed and breathing fantasy world, it's lethal and thrilling combat and enchanting music score. The sheer number of units, abilities, spells and maps (thanks to a random map generator) makes this a game that will be played for years, decades. I still play the original Age of Wonders, which came out in 1999.

Humour has always been kind of a trademark of Triumph Studios, as is displayed in things like an outhouse or picnic table on combat maps, the witty unit descriptions and the animations of idle units like the Beholder (Watcher) or goblins.

A must have for fans of fantasy TBS games.
  24. Apr 3, 2014
    Amazing in every way so many customizable features from creating you hero to creating random maps and if that wasn't enough you can make your own with the editor free with the game great game play many, many hours of fun 10+
  25. Apr 23, 2014
    In Short:
    Pros:
    -great gameplay -high replayability -very good multiplayer -easy to get into, hard to master -low price -frequent updates (it looks this way so far) -good balance -a lot of customization -nice graphics -beautiful music Cons: -relatively long games (not for the genre) -not that many people playing multiplayer -rather bad tutorial -not the most challenging
    In Short:
    Pros:
    -great gameplay
    -high replayability
    -very good multiplayer
    -easy to get into, hard to master
    -low price
    -frequent updates (it looks this way so far)
    -good balance
    -a lot of customization
    -nice graphics
    -beautiful music

Cons:
    -relatively long games (not for the genre)
    -not that many people playing multiplayer
    -rather bad tutorial
    -not the most challenging AI (for veterans of the genre)

This game is a steal! I bought my steam digital download version for 75PLN (about $25) and if you look online you can by it this cheap pretty much anywhere in the world. For this price you get a brand new game with 2 campaigns, each with 6 missions + 1 for alternative choices made. I would say this is easily 40 hours of gameplay, at least. Then you also have scenarios and endless possibilities with random map generator.

The game is complex, but easier to get into than the likes of Europa Universalis, Total War, or even Civilization series. At the same time it offers plenty to more seasoned TBS and 4X players. It's different than almost anything else on the market. People compare this game to HoM&M, Civ, and Total War, but while it includes elements of all these games, it's still something totally different.

If you enjoy 4X games, you should definitely try it. If you like TBSs in general you might want to give it a go. If all HoM&M titles after HoM&M 3 (and maybe 4) disappointed you, buy this game!

For anyone who likes Civ, Gal Civ, HoM&M series this should be a definitve buy. People who like Paradox games should also consider it.

The random map generator in this game is like nothing I have ever seen before. The number of options is mind blowing. You can customize the number of cities, their size, number of treasures, resource, visit structures, starting army sizes, and much more.

There's plenty of strategy involved and enough variety to keep you playing for many hours. 6 classes, 6 races, and 14 specializations to choose from means you get to try out new things almost every game.

And finally, the multiplayer. I don't know how 4X games could have existed without simultaneous turns. I used to play some with classic turns and it was a thrill, but it also dragged on way too long and I would never play with strangers for this very reason. Here you can start a small map 1 vs 1 game with smallest starting cities and medium armies and finish it in about half an hour, it that's your cup of tee. You can still play epic large map games with mutiple opponents and save your sessions, in this case too, the simultaneous turns option will vastly speed up the game. I was worried about using this over the classic turns, but it works like a charm, I use it even against the AI, there's hardly any reason not to.

Buy this game! Even if you have never played 4X games before. This is a good game for beginners too and at this price it is worth giving it a go. The support for the game is amazing, the forums are very helpful and best of all there is more content to come in the form of dlcs and expansions, which are likely to feature new playable races, new scenarios, and maybe new campaigns.
  26. Sep 27, 2014
    Age of Wonders 3 is a gorgeous, amazing TBS. Like in previous games, engaging an enemy unit stack on the strategic world map zooms you down to a tactical battle map, based on the terrain and structures. And the tactical battles are rich! There were balance issues and bugs on release, of course, but Triumph has been consistently on-target with their patches, and now the Golden RealmsAge of Wonders 3 is a gorgeous, amazing TBS. Like in previous games, engaging an enemy unit stack on the strategic world map zooms you down to a tactical battle map, based on the terrain and structures. And the tactical battles are rich! There were balance issues and bugs on release, of course, but Triumph has been consistently on-target with their patches, and now the Golden Realms expansion. Bought it on GOG, so I'm not sure how much time I've put into it yet, but I'd guess 400+. Expand
  27. Apr 2, 2014
    Easily the best game as of right now in the genre(4X fantasy). I cannot name a single thing that was done badly here. The graphics are amazing, the optimization is flawless, the game play is truly fluid, enjoyable and engaging, the sound and music is cool and fitting. Easily 10/10, well done!
  28. Apr 1, 2014
    Age of Wonders III is a fantasy strategy game finally done right. It has great gameplay, great graphic, and great replaybility. I love how Triumph allow players to totally customize everything. In my first game, I chose to start at metropolis city, with units ready to war. I set the game with plenty independent cities and dwellings, but I can not build city. This provide me with a wholeAge of Wonders III is a fantasy strategy game finally done right. It has great gameplay, great graphic, and great replaybility. I love how Triumph allow players to totally customize everything. In my first game, I chose to start at metropolis city, with units ready to war. I set the game with plenty independent cities and dwellings, but I can not build city. This provide me with a whole new experience, very much unlike "regular" AoW experience with city spams etc.

One thing that I feel lacking is: diversity among racial units. Tier 1 and Tier 2 units are lacking uniqueness in my opinion. On the contrary, support units are quite different one from the other (High Elves' Storm Sisters are totally different than Goblin Blight Doctors), so do Tier 3 units or class units. I do hope that Triumph will release a patch that address this issue.
  29. Apr 2, 2014
    I started playing the day of release at night, I already have 17hrs into it and cannot wait to get home again to rock it some more!!

Deep and tactical combat, gorgeous and diverse setting full of different creatures and fantasy races, the music is epic and fits perfectly to immerse the player in the thick of the strategic experience. -Great combat mechanics+rich and vast

-Great combat mechanics+rich and vast world+awesome map and character customization=Worthy heir to the saga and one of the best strategy games I've played so far.

If you like turn based strategy, you've got a god damn must.
  30. Apr 7, 2014
    I just love how IGN clearly did not get paid from developer and fired lovest rating from all reviewers, when they give **** games 95% almost every time.

I werent fan of Age of Wonders 1 and 2 (preferred Heroes and discipless 2), but this instalment is really good. It feels like mix of heroes of might and magic and civilization. I dont think that this game should be compared direct-li to HOMMAM, both are very good games and both are very different. The game play of Age of Wonders 3 is very good and graphics and music are ok too. What is really good about this game is wast number of skills and abilities your hero and units have.

Aside from some minor problems in game play, the only major problem can be very bad tutorial. If you are fan of 4x strategy games you will know what to do in short time, but if this game is your first 4x game than you can have problem with it.

Still have to recommend this game. I really like the classic turn based game play and this game is very addicting.
  31. Apr 4, 2014
    This is a fun game that is easy to get to know, you have a bunch of races and classes to chose from and 2 campaigns to go through, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys playing strategy games
  32. Apr 2, 2014
    A very well put together game, and all signs point to the fact that they'll be working to improve the problems already in the game. Triumph once again knocks it out of the park with good game design coupled with amazing customer service.
  33. Apr 2, 2014
    Thank you THRIUMP! You are bright in night. :) You are one who never be another studio as you were ages. :)
    race specific units are missing me but the game mechanic and strategy are wonderfull as it was right always by your games :)
    So thank you really!!!!!
  34. Apr 2, 2014
    Age of Wonders 3 - combining some of the the best of Masters of Magic with Civilization and elements of Xcom and Total War, or Fall From Heaven. Thoroughly enjoyable and stable as it stands now. The only mild complaint I have is I want more - more races, more classes, more customization options for the leaders (particularly leader heads and outfits), more units, more victoryAge of Wonders 3 - combining some of the the best of Masters of Magic with Civilization and elements of Xcom and Total War, or Fall From Heaven. Thoroughly enjoyable and stable as it stands now. The only mild complaint I have is I want more - more races, more classes, more customization options for the leaders (particularly leader heads and outfits), more units, more victory conditions... just more. Don't get me wrong - there's a veritable dragon's hoard of content already -but the game already has me craving more.

Happily, the developer has strongly hinted at continuing to develop content for the game. It's an absolutely superb fantasy TBS as it stands and the prospect of more content to come make it all the better. Here's to hoping the developers continue to develop more content, races, classes, units and monsters, because I could just pack my bags and go live in the Age of Wonders. Definitely highly recommend this game to anyone with an interest in fantasy turn-based strategy games.
  35. Jun 30, 2014
    Its everything AoW1 was and more,and also its everything Fallen Enchantress tride but failed to be. As an old fan of HOMM, MOM AoW1, I am entirely satisfied to my own joyful amazement.
  36. Apr 2, 2014
    I have been waiting 10 years fos this masterpiece to come back. And it has made a glorious reappearance! The game is incredibly beautiful and the gameplay just flows. The soundtrack is once again epic and there are many races to play with, with more to come. I will be playing this game for a long long time and i am sure i will enjoy every minute of it.
  37. Apr 1, 2014
    This is a worthy successor to the series. Very innovative class mechanics and complex strategic gameplay make for an extremely addictive game. The 3D graphics are quite beautiful and the powerful random map generator also works very well.
    The few drawbacks, such as smaller selection of races and slightly poor camera controls, don't detract much from this awesome gem.
  38. Apr 3, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the AoW series, I can enthusiastically recommend this game. It is well-polished and has rich and varied gameplay. The only thing that I can think of that is slightly disappointing is the fewer number of races in the game. The new class system does however make them much more varied than the previous 2 titles' races. Well worth the purchase.
  39. Apr 3, 2014
    Age of Wonders 3 is a game worthy to his predecessors! The game is everything I have hoped for and more! The whole idea of simultanious turns works awsome and the complete vibe of the world and the story of the campaign blew me away! A game worth playing!
  40. Apr 2, 2014
    If you like 4x strategy games this is a buy, if you like turn based games with turn based combat this is a must have.

With a game like this, one that's well polished with no obvious technical flaws it can be very hard to write a review. It delivers and spectacularly what it sets out to do, a turn based fantasy 4x game. With a map editor on the way there's plenty of replayability and

With a map editor on the way there's plenty of replayability and value for money here.
  41. Apr 2, 2014
    Awesome sequel to an epic serie! Best opus hands down! The classes and new combats mechanics are quite refreshing ad really well balanced. A real gem that any TBS fan will love!
  42. Apr 3, 2014
    I never played the original and am not very far into the game, but I can already tell it is a really fun game with lots of abilities and units and different paths and strategies to take. Would definitely recommend to my friends.
  43. Apr 7, 2014
    The tactical battles are really fun and the ways you customize your heroes are great. The strategy leaves a little to be desired. Then again I haven't played the multiplayer yet so maybe that's what it's all about really. Already sunk a lot of hour into this title and I'm loving it.
  44. Feb 7, 2015
    This game really captures the 'just one more turn!'-feeling. It is addicting and the game becomes better with each patch & DLC.

Pros: - A beautiful strategic map - Combat is fast, brutal and entertaining - It is fun to level your Heroes and Leader; it adds RPG to the game. Also quests that can be gained from independent cities or dwellings add to RPG-feel. - Concept of Race & Class

Pros:
    - A beautiful strategic map
    - Combat is fast, brutal and entertaining
    - Concept of Race & Class for your Leader provide much variety in play. For example, you can play as a Orc Sorcerer, Dwarven Warlord, Elven Rogue, Goblin Dreadnought etc.
    - Classes are really different from each other; this applies to gameplay, spells and units. .
    - Nice campaigns with different outcomes
    - A pretty good Random Map generator with tons of options
    - Users make custom scenarios and challenges with Map Editor
    - Great music
    - The developer (Triumph Studios) listens really well to the community; as of patch 1.4 it has fixed (almost) all bugs/issues and in the next patch there will also be much new functionality.

Cons:
    - In general races could be more varied. The good news is that the Devs are working on this and is expected to improve in the next free patch.
    - Although the idea behind alignment is nice (good/neutral/evil is based on your actions and not on your race choice), it remains a bit shallow imo. But also this will be addressed in next patch, making alignment having more impact.
    - MOD-tools are not released at this moment (feb 2015). They most probably will in the future though.

Other comments:
    - For new-comers to the game it can be difficult to learn and to master. It is recommended to watch some videos on YouTube if you are new to the Age of Wonder-series. For example: How to play Age of Wonders 3-videos by iHunterKiller.
    - I cannot comment on Multiplayer as I don't have much experience on it.

Overall I recommend this game to anyone who has an interest in Turn Based Strategy games.
  45. Jan 30, 2015
    I have played Age of wonders from the very beginning. Sadly for several years they did not have anything, but now they brought it back and is better than ever. The story of Athla has been expanded and the game play has been increased to give us a greater experience. Smarter AIs and tougher opponents. The Dev team is even great listening to the players and giving us new stuff to expand the game.
  46. Jan 30, 2015
    Amazing game, you will not regret buying. Anyone considering this should buy because it is a worthy investment both for your money and for your time spent as a gamer on this top quality product/company.
  47. May 4, 2014
    It's so easy to get lost in the magic of Age of Wonders 3. Many of my sessions were 5-6hours long and it barely felt like I'd begun managing my empire. There is just so much to do each turn, so many armies to manage and cities to build. The gorgeous world is waiting to be explored and the various monsters are ready to do battle. All of this is paired with truly wonderful tactical combat.It's so easy to get lost in the magic of Age of Wonders 3. Many of my sessions were 5-6hours long and it barely felt like I'd begun managing my empire. There is just so much to do each turn, so many armies to manage and cities to build. The gorgeous world is waiting to be explored and the various monsters are ready to do battle. All of this is paired with truly wonderful tactical combat. There are just so many different ways to approach combat that it's dizzying. The visual styling and the core mechanics are so faithful to the original that it makes me smile. Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2014
    Wow everything in some of the negative reviews is just factually wrong about stuff. Regardless, this game had one of the best launches I've seen in a long time. The AI is rather competent and capable of making your life miserable, and it doesn't appear to cheat. The auto resolve battles seem to actually play an auto-match instead of just calculating victory on unit stacks, so sometimesWow everything in some of the negative reviews is just factually wrong about stuff. Regardless, this game had one of the best launches I've seen in a long time. The AI is rather competent and capable of making your life miserable, and it doesn't appear to cheat. The auto resolve battles seem to actually play an auto-match instead of just calculating victory on unit stacks, so sometimes when it predicts defeat you'll win and vice versa.
    The Campaign is surprisingly good, it's got it's problems and it's extremely difficult but the art between scenes and the story are really well done, and some of the minor heroes are genuinely interesting. The campaign also features a decision at some point that effects the rest of the campaign and the outcome and ending too.
    The real meat of the game is in the custom scenarios and random maps. The largest map size is so massive that it can take days to finish a single game, while small maps are best for multiplayer and rush battles can be surprisingly fun (I expected them not to be).
    The game allows you to customize your sandbox wizard rather extensively, choosing from a variety of race/class combinations, selecting abilities influencing research trees, spells, and empire passives, and it allows you a great deal of control over how your wizard looks. Unfortunately the schools of magic are somewhat lacking from previous games, with earth and water magic being entirely underwhelming at least as of the vanilla game.
    The game has a variety of classes and each race has a variety of units, including irregulars and tier 3 units that are different for every race. Archers and priests are also fairly interesting as they tend to differ a lot between races, unfortunately melee and base mounted units tend to be generic.
    If the game had more victory conditions it would probably be a lot more fun, especially if there were better victory screens or scenes at the end of a random map. Some will find it more combat focused than they might prefer, but the same was true of past Age of Wonders games, and the 4x city building/expanding elements are still quite addictive, with terraforming options and a variety of spells.
    Devs have announced many changes and features they plan for the future and it appears that they're working on bring back old races and possibly new classes. The future looks bright for this game, and it's well worth the lower than average price they're asking for it. Players who actually like 4x games and stick with it enough to learn what it has to offer will get their money's worth.
  49. Apr 28, 2014
    After spending a few hours to get accustomed to the game conventions and flow of the play, I have been totally sucked in. I did play AoW2 back in the day and loved it, but it had been a while and I was concerned the game style would not hold up to todays standards. Fortunately I was wrong, and the "wonder" of surviving in a fantasy world of mystery and danger is back. The artwork andAfter spending a few hours to get accustomed to the game conventions and flow of the play, I have been totally sucked in. I did play AoW2 back in the day and loved it, but it had been a while and I was concerned the game style would not hold up to todays standards. Fortunately I was wrong, and the "wonder" of surviving in a fantasy world of mystery and danger is back. The artwork and battle grounds are fantastic and evoke feelings of treading through a world steeped in deep lore.

I started with the campaign, but it wasnt until I tried the random map generator that I really got hooked (I'll have to get back to the campaigns at some points.. just .. cant.. seem to find the time!). The random maps are beautifully done and are unique adventures everytime. Early game is about exploration and leveling and questing, mid game is about skirmishing and getting a good position to face the AIs and then finally taking out the AI's. This is as I see it anyway, and makes for a very satisfying experience!!!
  50. Apr 15, 2014
    This is my first review, so please bear with me.

I've been rocking AOW3 for the last couple of weekends with a couple of friends in hot-seat mode. And when I say rocking, I mean full on day in - day out marathons with tiny brakes for sleep. We must be at the 30 hour mark by now, which seems a good place to voice opinion. First the basics. The AOW series were strongly inspired by the
    This is my first review, so please bear with me.

First the basics. The AOW series were strongly inspired by the HOMM series and "Masters Of Magic", so it comes to no surprise that they sport game play that is a mix and match from both. You build and develop cities (MOM/CIV), to produce armies (MOM/CIV/HOMM). These armies are led by great heroes (HOMM) into tactical combat with the enemy and independent mobs (HOMM). There is a research tree based on your leader's class and specializations (MOM) and of course powerful strategic spells (MOM/HOMM).

I won't go over graphics, sound and interface since I find those irrelevant if they are capable of getting the job done without distraction and they seem to be in this case (sans the bloom in some combat locations, it's just mehhh...). The sole fact that me and me palls have been afflicted by the "just one more turn" syndrome is reason enough for me to rate this game as high as I did. But let me go over what I actually find so appealing in AOW3. Even with it's multitude of combat units the game somehow manages to find balance in chaos. All games we've played thus far have been "on the edge of your seat" close. Each player is constantly grasping for the win until the bitter end when the true winner is revealed through greater cunning, strategy or tactics. An example for it's good balance is that when two similar strength armies engage, often only just a few units survive. Note that similar strength doesn't mean the same army composition, four well developed heroes versus a plethora of regular units are also evenly matched armies. I also very much enjoy the choices the game provides, should I make my heroes into leaders or combatants? Should I focus my cities into military development and get my racial units or build up research and mana so I can get my class units? Should I summon an additional guy for the next fight or preserve casting points for combat magic? The game is full with interesting choices like these and what makes them interesting is that both paths are viable. The random map generator is excellent, it creates gorgeous maps with a lot of interesting locations and good starting positions. This for me translates into infinite number of maps available for play.

Enough praise, lets go over the bad parts. First of all the AI is atrocious. I'm playing on the hardest possible difficulty setting and all it does is spam cities. When war pokes it's ugly head, it either sends lone units/heroes or in the rare occasions when it actually has a sizable force it divides it into small armies that are ripe for the picking. Mob encounters start to get very similar very quickly. The game has tons of different units and I don't see why mobs should be so limited in their choice. And that goes double for scoundrels, every game I've played thus far has had me slaughter uncountable amounts of scoundrels - scoundrel villages, scoundrel patrols, scoundrel guards, etc. It's a minor issue with me that the game deploys one of a full army's units behind the battle line and there seems to be no way of picking which unit that is or to move it's starting point. Most of the time you would have time to get into position before the actual battle begins, but it's a silly thing to have left in what is otherwise a very polished game.

Finally, to end on a good note. Triumph (the developer of this game) seem devoted to their player base and have already released a patch that addresses a bunch of issues pointed out by players. This is a good sign and perhaps the game will only get better with time. I strongly recommend this game and my suggestion, as of now, is to stick to multi-player on small/medium maps.
  51. Aug 5, 2014
    Remember it is a turn by turn game so don't rage about difficulty. Conversly this makes the game one of the best publication of this 2014 year with a full encyclopedy of diversity and game time.
    In an absolute silence about this game release I've bought it because I enjoyed the previous versions and I am now surpisingly happy I have selected the deluxe edition because of the beautiful background music in FLAC.
  52. Mar 16, 2015
    Aow3 is in my opinion the best turn based game at the moment, i dont consider the game a 4x but it revolves more around the tactical combat stage wich is Amazing! do yourself a favor and dont play in auto combat :P
  53. May 14, 2015
    From someone new to the series who has never played an Age of Wonders game: I absolutely love this game. It seems really underrated to me but that could be because of differences between this one and the older games, which I've never played.

The campaigns are really fun; I usually hate campaigns in strategy games but this game actually has really enjoyable campaigns with great voice acting, fun little storylines and beautiful artwork. It's also quite atmospheric and the music is mostly really nice (a couple of obnoxious songs but many great ones, too).

AoW 3 is quite charming. I enjoy exploring the map, finding items, and working on building up my hero/leader. The customization for leaders is superb and there are so many different spells, abilities, items, etc. Tactical, turn based combat is amazingly fun. The option to automate it when you don't feel like doing it is also nice. The exploration sites are especially fun because they are usually in unique battlefield locations (castles, dungeons, etc.) and involve 6v6 balanced battles that end up being very well balanced and challenging.

The game is not without some minor flaws (e.g., tech tree implemented poorly and you can't see the progression, etc.) and city building is so-so, but there aren't any major issues that break the game and overall it's a blast to play. I have so much fun just playing around with all the different classes, spells, etc., finding items, exploring the map, and enjoying the tactical battles.
  54. Jun 15, 2015
    I've always enjoyed the Age of Wonders games. AoW III is a quality sequel. Continuing along the lines of the previous iterations, there is a lot of character customization and a wide variety of maps. Definitely worth picking up on a Steam sale if you enjoy games like Heroes of Might and Magic.
  55. Jun 21, 2015
    now this is finally a good 4x game
    i dont liked Endless Legend and i dont liked Fallen Enchantress but i cant stop playing this one.
    Its simple but not shallow, its just fun to play
  56. Apr 21, 2015
    I love this game and can't recommend it highly enough. The game has been consistently patched and updated by its developers in the year since its release, and many of the "problems" that reviewers found with it initially have been addressed through free patches. I do also highly recommend the expansions, Golden Realms and Eternal Lords, which add new races, classes, units and much more.I love this game and can't recommend it highly enough. The game has been consistently patched and updated by its developers in the year since its release, and many of the "problems" that reviewers found with it initially have been addressed through free patches. I do also highly recommend the expansions, Golden Realms and Eternal Lords, which add new races, classes, units and much more.

But the base game is a fantastic game. It stays true to the series' roots in a way that usually doesn't happen with sequels anymore. It is fun, it is innovative, it is challenging, it is rewarding. For anyone who is a fan of 4X or TBS games, try Age of Wonders 3.
  57. Apr 5, 2014
    I'm relatively new to the 4X genre. Ever since I got into these games, I've been looking for a very specific type of game. I wanted something set in a fantasy world with a great combat system (preferably not RTS, which isn't my thing), memorable factions, and diplomatic options for victory. That's a pretty tall order for a genre that already doesn't have a whole lot of options. When II'm relatively new to the 4X genre. Ever since I got into these games, I've been looking for a very specific type of game. I wanted something set in a fantasy world with a great combat system (preferably not RTS, which isn't my thing), memorable factions, and diplomatic options for victory. That's a pretty tall order for a genre that already doesn't have a whole lot of options. When I heard about AoW III, I jumped at the chance to play it.

After spending a dozen hours over the last couple of days with it, I have to say that this is very close to being exactly what I was looking for. AoW is set in a fantasy world with beautiful 3D graphics. While graphics aren't the most important thing in a strategy game, the lush, colorful world of AoW really draws you in right off the bat. Things get even better when you go into combat. One of the best things about fantasy is the flashy spells, and this game definitely doesn't disappoint. Spells can cast an eerie, otherworldly glow over the whole battlefield, or cloak your entire army in lightning. You definitely won't be disappointed in terms of aesthetics.

The combat system is turn-based and thorughly enjoyable. Units are lead by heroes for whom you can acquire gear and learn new skills upon leveling up. Unlike in some games where winning is just a matter of having more units in the area (ahem...Civ 5), here every battle plays out like a chess game. Both positioning and the battlefield itself play huge roles. Are you outmuscled by a particularly powerful unit? Set a trap and have one unit flank him from behind (there are bonuses for flanking and penalties for various postional disadvantages), then, when he turns around, have the other unit flank him. Combat never gets dull here. Even though you can sim battles, you'll find yourself wanting to fight out every one of them.

The game has several paces you can choose from that focus on different aspects of gameplay. Are you all about war? You can set up the game for that. Do you wanna take your time and build an empire of scratch? You can set up for that, too. I play on empire building pace. While this is fun and certainly very streamlined to limit micromanagement, the options for city building are a little lacking. There's really no focus on culture or religion or anything like that. Instead, every building is there to either unlock units or generate gold or mana. For me, this is kind of a bummer, and here's hoping they can turn out an expansion pack that adds to the non-combat side of empire building. Same thing goes for diplomacy. You have your basic peace treaty, alliance, open borders options, but this aspect of the game is definitely lacking.

All in all, this is an awesome game that's well worth the money. It really shines in terms of exploration (owing to the beautifully rendered world) and combat, but lacks in the economic and diplomatic side of things. Things are streamlined so that it will be accessible even to beginners, but it might be a little lacking for hardcore micromanagers. Even without super-detailed management options, however, this game is still a winner.
  58. Apr 3, 2014
    Excellent TBS game. A lot of customisation to set up the game exactly how you want it. Excellent multiplayer online, lan and hotseat! It is also more easily accessible then some other TBS games so you can play with friend that are now to AoW. Far better than any recent HoMM.

You can play they game offline, or LAN *without* internet connection! Even with your profile, or as a guest (offline) with *full functionality*.

There is a map editor!
  59. Apr 15, 2014
    I waited a decade for this sequel, and I'm glad it turned out so well!

I waited a decade for this sequel, and I'm glad it turned out so well!

The general stuff: Visuals and sound are high quality as you expect it from the series, and the gameplay is the same, as well. Compared to AoW2:SM, there are fewer units (but Shadow Magic was essentially an expansion) and the game is currently more streamlined, which also makes it more accessible. Race differences and alignments don't yet matter as much as in the previous game, but developer responses on the official forum imply that this is coming. The focus is less on empire building and more on global strategy and tactical battle (no other fantasy TBS does tactical combat better). Games are relatively quick for TBS standards, especially if you opt to start with cities and an army.

Content: The game has several lengthy campaigns (that you can play on either side), scenarios, a map editor (that lets you create entire campaigns), a competent random map generator (huge plus), single-player and multi-player (local, internet, and asynchronous pbem is in the making. There's a ton to do, and it's unlikely that you'll run out of things to do. There is a large number of options that allow you to customize scenarios and maps: teams, victory conditions, custom heroes, classic or simultaneous turns, terrain, map type, map size, pre-learned spells or none, and so forth.

The AI: If you don't want to play against people, the AI's quality matters. Right now (two weeks after release), the AI is pretty standard for a fantasy TBS. It's not GalCiv2's excellent AI, but it's also not Civ5's excuse of an AI. It seems more competent than it was in AoW2:SM, but it's a little passive still and can be cheesed in tactical combat. The devs mentioned that the next patch will include substantial AI improvements including code that recognizes cheesing attempts and will respond to it, so by the time you read this review, things may already have changed. A nice improvement over AoW2:SM is that if you start with a settler and no town, the AI actually handles it well and does manage to be a competitive opponent. So if you go for the "empire building" mode, the AI will keep up with you.

In short: I dig the game and don't regret that I picked it up at the full price. It's a worthy successor of AoW2:SM and didn't disappoint. The devs are active in the community and listen to suggestions. The excellent random map generator and map/scenario editor guarantee variety, and the game actually has multiplayer!
  60. Apr 7, 2014
    Best strategy game of the last decade. To fully appreciate the beauty of the game I suggest to try first one of the medium size scenario. The variety of races territories and spells is really fabulous.
  61. Jan 30, 2015
    Waited for this game almost for 10 years, when it finally came out i was truly surprised. They didn't ruined title like it happened with HMM and Disciples, they actually made it better. Best turn-based combat oriented fantasy strategy of decade IMHO.
  62. Sep 27, 2014
    Solid 4X game with a rich fantasy setting. With continued support could easily become the go to game in turn based strategy.

With a class and race system that allows a good amount of variety in play style (with the movement between good and evil depending on in game actions) A good magic system that may have been better served without the limitation on spells per tun , but due to the strength of this games spells understandable.

All in all a good entry for people looking to get into a 4x for the first time with enough depth in combat to have experienced 4x's tweaking there tactics to maxmize damage.
  63. Oct 17, 2014
    One of my favorite games on steam!
    Prepare to be sucked in with Age of Wonders 3. An amazing turn based strategy game that will continue to hold your attention and WOW you with attention to detail, depth and rich battles.
    The game features a series of campaigns with different routes, fun hand crafted scenarios and a random map generator with different modes to play. You pick a
    One of my favorite games on steam!
    You pick a race/class/specializations which are all interesting, fun and create different synergies.
    Orc warlord? Human Dreadnaught? Elven sorcerer?,
    Goblin Archdruid Specializing in water magic to create a swampy empire?
    You name it! the combinations are plenty!
    Each race starts off with a variety of units that for the most part fill common roles,
    Infantry, Archer, Pikeman, Cavalry, flyers, and support. All these units per race ARE UNIQUE and different, it just might not appear that way on the surface. Orcs are great at melee, elves great with archers etc.
    Classes affect your spells in and out of combat, and units that you get.
    Terrain/weather affect.
    Your leader and Heroes units level up and can customized.
    Units can level up.
    Different sub factions that can be conquered and used to your advantage. Like dragons and giants.
    I can go on and on but the combinations and situations to be in are plenty and it never gets dull.
    MUST PLAY! 9/10
  64. Jan 30, 2015
    I've been playing these kinds of strategy games since MoM in the 90's. Age 3 is simply the best one yet. There is a large variety of customization for your start and a lot of different approaches to choose from already, and more content on the way. Balance seems very good, as is the stability. PBEM (play by email) is on the way. The campaigns are long and can be difficult, testing yourI've been playing these kinds of strategy games since MoM in the 90's. Age 3 is simply the best one yet. There is a large variety of customization for your start and a lot of different approaches to choose from already, and more content on the way. Balance seems very good, as is the stability. PBEM (play by email) is on the way. The campaigns are long and can be difficult, testing your strategy (and resolve!). The artwork is also gorgeous. Get this game if you like a more cerebral approach to your gaming. Expand
  65. Feb 2, 2015
    Excellent game that keeps adding new and free content. Great combat mechanics and a good campaign. Tons of different options make me want to start over again and again.
  66. Apr 4, 2014
    Age of Wonders III plays very similar to the last installment and follows the spirit of the franchise. Playing the game since release, around 40 hours, I have developed a fondness and desire to keep playing, which I have not had since Civ 5. If you have played AoW I, II, or II SM and enjoyed your experience, then you will very much enjoy this one. I see a lot of growth for DLC in theAge of Wonders III plays very similar to the last installment and follows the spirit of the franchise. Playing the game since release, around 40 hours, I have developed a fondness and desire to keep playing, which I have not had since Civ 5. If you have played AoW I, II, or II SM and enjoyed your experience, then you will very much enjoy this one. I see a lot of growth for DLC in the magic system, troop routines, and maps, and look forward to that content. My only complaint is that the Tier IV troops are lackadaisical. I am not impressed. Even considering that, I will play the game often and look forward to additional DLC and patch content. Expand
  67. Apr 8, 2014
    This game is everything I ever wanted in a TBS. Exceptional, rewarding and diverse tactical combat. Many different play styles with the different hero types (and I've only played three so far!). I can only imagine how this game will grow over time as more of the AOW lore is built into it.

They somehow managed to keep the mystique of the series alive (the remixed, driving epic music gives the game of thrones theme a run for its money!) while piling on strategic and tactical depth with more unit types and abilities and some game-changing spells (Chaos rift left my jaw agape - made me feel like a god opening the heavens!).

Definitely worth picking up for any serious strategy gamer - and while not an entry level title, it's approachable enough that novices should be able to pick up and play as well.

10/10 Would Play Again!
  68. Apr 9, 2014
    There is so much they can do with this game to make it better. I can't wait for the expansions. As it stands the game is wonderful. It is stable and I have not found any real bugs outside of AA support which seems to be lacking right now.
  69. Feb 9, 2015
    One of the best 4X games that i have ever played. The atmosphere and the depth of this game is Astonishing. It also got a strong community of dedicated gamers and a great feedback from the developers who actually listens to its fans. If you are into 4x games then this is for you, it will hook you right into its amazing world and never let go.
  70. Sep 27, 2014
    My review is of the game after the 1.4 patch. Triumph has made great strides after release to improve the quality of the game and it shows! Post patch, the game has improved in many different facets including the unit/city morale system, city growth and racial unit diversity. I feel that they have made a game that equals their previous title, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, and may soonMy review is of the game after the 1.4 patch. Triumph has made great strides after release to improve the quality of the game and it shows! Post patch, the game has improved in many different facets including the unit/city morale system, city growth and racial unit diversity. I feel that they have made a game that equals their previous title, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, and may soon succeed it as one of the best tactical, TBS games. Expand
  71. Nov 20, 2014
    Amazing game, I became addicted really fast to it. The type of game where you say: "just one more turn" and then you realize 3 hours went on.
    The campaign is fun and it changes depending on your choices, the random generated maps are awesome and the battles are unique, I have never felt so good assaulting a city.
  72. Jan 30, 2015
    Age of Wonders 3 brings the modest and shy greatness that AoW1 was into the modern world, retaining much of it's old feeling and that of the other prequels, AoW2 and AoW2SM, while sharing some of the best traits with more strongly established franchises and holding a general environment / atmosphere really pleasant to the eye. If you prefer fantasy worlds and a slight touch of RPGAge of Wonders 3 brings the modest and shy greatness that AoW1 was into the modern world, retaining much of it's old feeling and that of the other prequels, AoW2 and AoW2SM, while sharing some of the best traits with more strongly established franchises and holding a general environment / atmosphere really pleasant to the eye. If you prefer fantasy worlds and a slight touch of RPG elements, this will make you forget Civilization. Age of wonders is much less linear, and what it lacks in management complexity, it makes up with more elaborate combat and exploration. Expand
  73. Jan 18, 2015
    One of the best games I've played in ages. There are so many factors that influence strategy; class, specializations, races... Each unit has a whole list of abilities and even after hundreds of hours of gameplay you'll find out synergies and ways to beat your opponents. The game is so deep, I don't think there's a game like it. This game sets a standard on its own, other things aren't evenOne of the best games I've played in ages. There are so many factors that influence strategy; class, specializations, races... Each unit has a whole list of abilities and even after hundreds of hours of gameplay you'll find out synergies and ways to beat your opponents. The game is so deep, I don't think there's a game like it. This game sets a standard on its own, other things aren't even in the same ballgame. It's quite a lot to take in when you're just starting out but it really grows on you, I'm even waiting for the upcoming DLC more than I am waiting for other games to come out.

Great fantasy aspect, excellent strategy aspect (especially in Multi Player), huge number of variables that influence gameplay making each game feel totally different. There are 6 classes right now and I've been playing the same class over and over again for the last couple of weeks and keep finding out new things or ways to improve my game.

Don't sleep on this!
  74. R20
    Jan 30, 2015
    Yes, it is not the most user friendly turn based game on the market, but it is one of the balanced and well developed game. When you get game mechanic you will discover its full potential. This game makes you think and improvise to achieve victory instead of building big army to win by force. Graphic is great and back story of any creature in game make me smile :)
  75. Feb 17, 2015
    I know just saying that I've played over 600 hours of Age of Wonders III does not clearly indicate the reason for my score. However, it should at least note that there is considerable game play to be had.

I have tried some of the other 4X games and found their combat to be lacking. To me, this is the largest pro about AoW III. It isn't simply "build the cap unit" and have the computer auto resolve dice rolls. When two opposing units fight, the game switches to a battle board. From there, both sides take turns moving their pieces. All the units have strengths and weaknesses to other types of units in the game. Additionally, mixing units together to form an army stack allows for certain synergies to take place during combat.

Mind you, yes, this can be both a pro and a con. If you enjoy in depth tactical battles, akin to the early versions of Battle Isle, this game will likely hook you in for hours and hours of game play.

When creating a leader, you have a choice in class and race. Furthermore, you are able to pick three times from a list of specializations. Each of these brings additional variables to the table. Therefore, there are a considerable number of variations before you even start on a map. The same number of variables apply to your opponents as well. Thus, each game has its own hurdles to over come. Add in a random map generator, and voila - No two games will be identical.

If you're looking for a TBS with intricate combat, AoW III is definitely the game to pick up.
  76. Apr 4, 2014
    A Civilization like game with magic and better unit abilities. Reminds me of Warlock Master of the Arcane. Overall, this is a good game, and I'm sure once they fix all the bugs and improve the AI it may even be a 9.

Right now, looking at the elven campaign on hard, it seems that the enemy AI is really bad. Most of the time it does not do anything, no new settlements, no major offensives (saw it only once). The enemy seems to be able to instantly spawn 3-4 stacks of 6 units in their capital when you get within the borders, but it does nothing with those units. They just sit around the capital, about 18 units. I can park my army of 6 within the borders, and the enemy would do nothing. A normal course of action would be to kill off my guys.

The campaign has good story, and one of my biggest complaints is the poor character resurrection system - the faction leader can die and will be resurrected in X turns, but secondary heroes that "must survive" cannot be resurrected. This creates a lot of situations where a random succubus or a bunch of flank attacks cause me to lose a scenario. This is really annoying when after spending 30 minutes in a capital battle, some succubus flies over the wall, charms my hero and causes me to have to replay the battle.

In terms of civilization upgrades, all races have exactly the same buildings, and there isn't much depth to the buildings, maybe 20 different buildings, all leading to the grand palace. Each of 6 classes has a class specific building to produce 4-5 class based units. I think there's only 4 tiers of units. There is not that much difference between the races, they all have an archer, infantry, pikeman, cavalry, etc.

Overall, a good game once the bugs get polished out.
  77. Apr 5, 2014
    The game itself is awesome. My score - 9 - is because the AI needs some tweaking, since sometimes it acts very predictably, even on hard. But it's 100% recommended for who love turn based strategy/RPG games.
  78. Apr 7, 2014
    I had never heard about this game until its release date and after watching a few review videos and lets plays i decided to pick it up. I have to say so far i am really impressed with ~15hrs played. The game beautifully combines the grand strategy of games such as civilization with the turn based combat of games like Heroes of might and magic to create a overall brilliant experience. NotI had never heard about this game until its release date and after watching a few review videos and lets plays i decided to pick it up. I have to say so far i am really impressed with ~15hrs played. The game beautifully combines the grand strategy of games such as civilization with the turn based combat of games like Heroes of might and magic to create a overall brilliant experience. Not for everyone of course but if you enjoy games like Civilization i definitely recommend giving this game a try, i assure you that you will not be disappointed. Expand
  79. Apr 12, 2014
    First off, I can call myself an Age of Wonders veteran. I have been with the series since its inception back in 1999. Age of Wonders III, like its predecessors, is a TBS game with a fair amount of RPG flavor set in a wonderful world of magic and adventure. Like before, the fourth game in the series is a meticulously mixed blend of MoM and HOMM, with greater emphasis on global strategy andFirst off, I can call myself an Age of Wonders veteran. I have been with the series since its inception back in 1999. Age of Wonders III, like its predecessors, is a TBS game with a fair amount of RPG flavor set in a wonderful world of magic and adventure. Like before, the fourth game in the series is a meticulously mixed blend of MoM and HOMM, with greater emphasis on global strategy and warfare. Mind you, it is not a full 4X experience as some believe it to be. Some folks over on the the official AoW forums keep comparing the game with Civilization V, which is really not fair IMO – Age of Wonders III and its older siblings are significantly more combat-oriented. Some have criticised the game for being rather basic in diplomacy and for its supposedly simplistic city development. In my opinion, both these elements are fine and work sufficiently for the game’s purposes despite being a little austere in their appearance and functionality. But then again, this is not a Civ-level empire building and diplomacy. The game mechanics are solid and can stand on their own and they are clearly more fleshed out in comparison with HOMM and some others in this regard.
    Anyway, the game’s foundations lie in a progressive empire building and managing your cities. A city serves as an essential economic unit here, and without a properly managed city your armies may not prosper as well. You can also do research, level up you heroes, who make their hard living by killing monsters and hordes of opposing armies. Unlike HOMM, the AoW series is an actual strategy game, encouraging you to plan ahead and consider you next moves carefully in the context of a bigger picture represented by your developing realm.
    As mentioned above, the core element of the series is warfare, and the new game is well-prepared for that. It sports an improved tactical combat that rewards clever tactics and puts a strong emphasis on unit positioning. Every unit on the battlefield has unique abilities you need to take into account, and exploiting them in the right way is a key to success in any encounter. Plus there is flanking now, which the AI likes to use against you when you expect it the least. The improved combat also encourages cooperation of your ranged and melee troops and there is a new scissor-rock-paper formula introduced (pikemen, cavalry, infantry units with their strengths and weaknesses).
    The game itself plays very smoothly and familiar, so if you have played an AoW game before you will easily slip into these new and shiny pants. The class system is cool and classes themselves varied enough to secure a very solid replayability. The level of leader customisation here is beyond all you have seen in a TBS game. You would need so much time to explore all the possibilities! If you are not an expansionist type you can effortlessly adjust your experience through many various RMG settings to suit your play-style. Here lie infinite hours of fun for everybody…
    The only downside to the new game that I see ATM are some unit and resource balance issues, though not serious, but they can sometimes be annoying, particularly in late-game. Not a deal-breaker in any way. The devs are currently hard at work to deal with these and are ready to send more updates, features and new content in our direction.
    The AI could also have been better, sure, it does not but at a strategic level it does a decent job of keeping you on guard, and so does in TC. There are some minor changes that seem to have already upset some core fans, namely mountains are passable now by practically any unit, fliers land in TC and can be attacked by any unit, only six units allowed in a single stack etc., but they do not by far distract from an overall great and rewarding strategic experience. In fact, these changes were made to keep the game balanced as possible, and the „six units in a stack“ change particularly contributes to a more strategic approach when it comes to composing your army.
    Well, I seem to have left out a thousand other things that come to mind when thinking about AoW III, but firstly there is not enough space to put them here and secondly, and more importantly, I have been engaged in playing it for more than 25 hours and the joy of doing so has not by far worn off. And I honestly believe that I will enjoy the next tens of hours as much as I have until now, the game has so much to offer! By the way, have I made a mention of a lovely cloth map like the one in Fallen Enchantress? Or completely unique class units and spells? An excellent in-game manual/encyclopedia called Tome of Wonders?
    My recommendation for this game is quite simple: if you want to immerse yourself in a beautifully crafted world of magic you can feel at every step (even with wizard towers gone this time), you like to engage in epic battles for the fate of your empire, you have played some HOMM but found it shallow at global strategy then this is the right game for you. And it has rogue dire penguins!
  80. Apr 10, 2014
    Actually i' ve become really happy for this moment. It happened! The Legend returned and the genre was reborn!
    I was so sad about latest parts of such monumental series like HoMM, Disciples, etc. It was so many new ideas, decisions but no perfection - all were crashed on reefs of bugs, monotony and unbalance. But in this game one can see strong elegant balance, a wide variety of tactics and ways to victory.

Comparing to previous part - there is no effect of superfactory in metropolia of empire, when you could extremely quickly make strong troop, cast some spell over them and crush all on your way. The strongest units can overcome by mass and adequate combinations of common units. So the key - is to rule all your Empire. There is no more absolute combinations.

For newcomers it can take several hours to get bases. But, i'm sure, then it can be a wonderful journey for years, as Heroes III was.
  81. Jan 5, 2015
    I`ve been playing Turn Based strategy games for a long time. I find AOW3 to be one of the best ever. Graphics are great,A lot of tedious empire micromanagement has been trimmed away,yet leaving enough complexity to still be a challenge,and the strategic battling is the best I have ever encountered. And the developers are everywhere in the forums supporting it and listening to feedback andI`ve been playing Turn Based strategy games for a long time. I find AOW3 to be one of the best ever. Graphics are great,A lot of tedious empire micromanagement has been trimmed away,yet leaving enough complexity to still be a challenge,and the strategic battling is the best I have ever encountered. And the developers are everywhere in the forums supporting it and listening to feedback and patching the game accordingly.This makes for a fantastic game! 10/10. Expand
  82. Apr 7, 2014
    A winner for those who like turn based strategy games with individual combat engagements between your armies and those of your enemies. My only knock on the game is the excessively long load times between turns if your playing on a large map with the max number of players.
  83. Nov 12, 2014
    I'm new to this game. It took a while to get some kind of control and start winning levels. But all the time I could not stop playing. It has been a while that a game has screwed up my private life like this. But I'm hooked. A fantasy world, dragons, armies, magic, giants, war what else do you want?
  84. Aug 14, 2014
    A rather solid 4x game with great customization potential and beautiful graphics. It really starts to bog down when you get into the late game and the diplomatic options are seriously lacking, but it's definitely worth playing.
  85. Jul 28, 2015
    This game is virtually perfect. At first I was kinda disappointed but with the recent patches, and with continued game play where I failed to realize the dept of this game, I am more than impressed; I am in awe. The reasons are (1) depth (2) love (3) flexibility (4) the best UI I ever have seen. (1) Depth: There are so many bazillion ways that units interact, you would need a superThis game is virtually perfect. At first I was kinda disappointed but with the recent patches, and with continued game play where I failed to realize the dept of this game, I am more than impressed; I am in awe. The reasons are (1) depth (2) love (3) flexibility (4) the best UI I ever have seen. (1) Depth: There are so many bazillion ways that units interact, you would need a super computer to keep track. You have race, class, spells, active terrain, items, hero upgrades and experience. So my Evangelist could be totally different from yours; that doesn't even cover the terrain changes you can make to the map or strategy you can follow to win (2) love: they could have shipped the game without all the really nice touches - the way the dragon breathes fire out of its mouth while resting on the map; the reflective water that if you zoom into it, cascades around the rocks foaming, the highly customized sound effects so that when a Eldritch Horror dies it THUMPS to the ground, etc. etc. These designers cared. (3) flexibility: you can play it like fantasy Civ. but if you're like me miss AOW1, you can recreate that experience!! At first I didn't think you could and was very disappointed, but if you turn off city building, and start with few cities you can further customize the map anyway you want. I played with my vision of an old empire in decay (like the Romans) with few roads, few cities, and many ruins to explore. This means cities are few and far between but there are many places to explore and pillage. (4) finally the UI is flawless. One unit could have like 20 buffs and de-buffs - i kid you not. but click it and first of all you can find out what those buffs are and the reason you have them; then over of an enemy and the computer will tell you EVERYTHING. Positive attack factors in green, negative attack factors in red, and your range of damage FOR EACH ATTACK type. WOW. I could go on. And of course there are some flaws, but really nothing worth mentioning. If you like the original AOW or fantasy turn based, this game is a must. I didn't like it first, but now I realize how wrong I was. Expand
  86. Aug 13, 2015
    It took me a while to appreciate AoW3, it can be a bit rough to get started in it. I'm a veteran of turn based strategy games so I usually don't have any problem learning the rules. However, some concepts in AoW3 I a bit unusual (which is good) but it makes the game tough to learn.

Compounding the problem is that there is no manual for the game. There isn't really a tutorial for the game either, at least there wasn't when I was learning the game. I ended up learning the rules by reviewing the in game encyclopedia and by watching some gameplay videos.

I've completed both campaigns that come with the base game, plus the campaign in the first DLC, almost 200 hours of really enjoyable gameplay. City management in the game is simple, which is fine with me, I enjoy the combat more in turn based strategy games. The combat is great, lots of variety, great graphics - wonderful fun. You can have the AI play out the combat for you and it does a reasonable job, but I rarely use this feature because the combat is such great fun.

Overall, I highly recommend this game. Much more fun than Endless Legend (which was more like Endless boredom to me)
  87. Sep 17, 2015
    It's difficult to follow up a classic. It always feels like something is lost when a great game from years ago is brought into the modern age. Things get prettier, bigger, and more streamlined, but many times it feels like some essential chemistry is lost. Some of us blame nostalgia, others simply write the developers off as appealing to the largest audience or the lowest commonIt's difficult to follow up a classic. It always feels like something is lost when a great game from years ago is brought into the modern age. Things get prettier, bigger, and more streamlined, but many times it feels like some essential chemistry is lost. Some of us blame nostalgia, others simply write the developers off as appealing to the largest audience or the lowest common denominator. Sequels always lose something.

Which is why Triumph Studios had no right to produce such a perfect game.

This is the perfect sparkling bouquet of what made the original great, combined with the streamlined production quality we've come to expect from a quality modern game. It's asymmetrical and unfair in the most balanced ways possible. Whether you're outfitting your heroes or designing your player class, you'll find great satisfaction in trying to break the game. You'll be very good at some things, and very bad at others, but it will always make sense and it will always feel right.

The unit design deserves special mention. Each unit is deeply well-crafted and unique, even when comparing racial units of the same role. The attention to synergy is unmatched, both between units of the same race and in the way that race and class combine to make a whole. Leveling up often provides interesting new abilities that also tend to synergize, instead of simply providing better stats.

As it happens sometimes, this game did not release flawlessly. It had its share of errors, but since that time they have been resolved. Understand that many of the other reviews written on here were made before AoW3 reached maturity. That version of the game is not the version that will be remembered, and it is not the version you will get it you decide to play it now.

This game has a lot of everything, and all of it affects everything else. You'll build cities, research and cast spells, and train units. You'll command armies on the beautiful strategic map, and when you explore dungeons or fight another army, you'll go down to fight on equally beautiful tilesets. Tactical combat is reasonably simple but very deep. This game has not been casualized. The A.I. is maddeningly clever, and you won't take this statement seriously until you've experienced it. You'll fight skirmishes in the woods with bandits, and you'll fight in truly massive sieges to conquer cities. Your heroes will explore dungeons, find and equip items, and lead your armies into battle.

You will build your strategy, and then get excited about other strategies you think could work. They probably will. Your race, your class, and your specializations all fundamentally change the way you need to approach the game. It takes a long time to bloom into a full understanding of how the various parts of the game work together, but the journey is pleasant, and you can absorb it by playing.

The campaign probably deserves it's own review. It's gloriously cheesy golden-age high fantasy. The campaign follows branching questlines, so you can end up doing different missions. The base game has two campaigns of eight missions. Eight does not sound like a lot but you can easily spend an entire day playing one mission. They're huge. Think of them more like chapters. The expansion packs can add another two campaigns. There are also a number of scenarios which are like competitive missions for X players. The "real" Age of Wonders though is in the procedurally generated random map mode, where you can fight other players or the AI. There are a huge number of random features on the maps, such as "dwellings" where you can purchase units from a non-player faction like Giants or Pixies. You'll need to play many games before you've seen everything you can find. Also of note, Age of Wonders has an underground map, full of caves, tunnels, and the cities of the Goblins and Dwarves.

Triumph is confident enough in the mastery of their game to give the player enormous freedoms to explore how to play. Their own mastery is evident in the careful design of how every element acts together. If you find anything this game does interesting, play it for that reason, but be prepared to fall in love with the rest.

This is what a strategy game should be. 10/10
  88. May 20, 2016
    As a fan of the former AoW games, I was anxious to play it, but it disappointed me at first. But after playing again, I was able to enjoy it more, and with all the expansions, it is a deeper game.

The only thing I believe that need to be improved is manual combat, I prefered fast combat, unless is a critical battle.

I absolutly recommend the game to 4x fantasy strategy game lovers.
  89. Oct 29, 2015
    Ok. At first I found this game very frustrating. That must have been because I was playing scenarios at normal difficulty level. Apparently the campaigns and scenarios are much more difficult than the random generated maps. Initially, I gave this game a 6, but after a few more play throughs, I've learned a few more things (good and bad).
    The good: There are a ton of units for each
    The good: There are a ton of units for each race, class and even alignment. The higher the tier, the more powerful the unit, but the costs and build times can really tie up your resources so it make sense to fill your armies with a variety of tier/levels and types. An army of all archers could get massacred by infantry if they get in too close and are undefended. So variety is good.
    There are many cool unique locations that you can build your cities around that give your city a new type of building that allows new units to be built or give huge bonuses to newly built units. That's pretty cool and can make a major difference in your army strengths.
    Every class has unique world spells that give bonuses to cities, production, armies, etc. Use these as much as possible, but be careful as they cost mana each turn to operate and that will leave you with less mana to use to cast spells in combat.
    In the random map mode you can build your own loot for your army leaders and heroes. This is awesome. I built them gear that amplified their strengths. The best gear is found in random locations throughout the world map, though, and it's best to build strong enough armies early in the game to start raiding these for the rare powerful loot.

The bad: There can almost be TOO MANY options in combat. I've found that the strategic battle (where you control all of your units) is difficult and very very time consuming. To make matters worse there is no save/load option during these battles. If you make a wrong move, or (god forbid) fail a dominate save and lose a powerful unit or 2 to the enemy, you have no option but surrender and return to the main map and reload. A massive waste of time. The reason too many options can be difficult? You may have a powerful unit selected and plan to target a certain enemy.. oops, they have resistance to your damage type. You rush a unit in an attempt to stun or convert it.. oops they are immune. You melee attack another unit and for some reason they will get more attacks and damage than your attacking unit. The computer knows which enemy to attack every time because in a split second it searched for the foes it can do the most damage to. I have to highlight enemies around the battlefield to see who I can actually damage without doing too much damage to myself. It's a frustrating system.
    How do I work around it. I make sure to attack with more than enough units I need and select AUTO combat everytime. I know that doesn't sound like fun, but it's the best and quickest way to win in a time consuming game. The weirdest thing is.. the part of the game that should be it's biggest draw, it the most confusing and cumbersome. Otherwise, it's a pretty engrossing and original turn based strategy game.
  90. Feb 9, 2016
    best 4x game I have ever played. The only annoying stuff is the tutorial where you HAVE TO be a female, but apart from that, amazing game, deep and rewarding strategy
  91. Jun 21, 2016
    I bought this 6 months ago on sale.. just now picked it up and started playing it..

I'm absolutely hooked. Fantastic variability in race/class.. interesting tactical combat with tons of choices and tactics and strategies.. lots of build planning like a normal 4x.. nice graphics.. random map generation with lots of different win/lose options.. the replayability here borders on the extreme.. I'm 80+ hours into the game and literally just scratching the surface.

If turn based strategy is your thing.. especially tactical battles.. you would be doing yourself a HUGE disservice to miss this..

1. Jul 30, 2014
    Age of Wonders III offers a very good option for turn-base strategy fans, continuing successfully the legacy of the series. It offers many hours of play, especially if you want to taste every bit of detail. Some further improvements which would force the player to ponder of his strategy before acting are needed. Nonetheless, Age of Wonders III is an amazing game that will always keep you thinking "one more turn".
  2. CD-Action
    Jun 28, 2014
    There was nothing in the way of Age of Wonders III maintaining the quality level of its predecessors. But that did not happen and instead of another solid title we got a game that will make every armchair strategist cry... tears of joy. [05/2014, p.52]
  3. May 21, 2014
    If you enjoyed the previous Age of Wonders games and you had any reservations about this game, then rest easy – it is a very good one.