Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic PC

8.5

1. KanaK.
    Sep 25, 2003
    Very well done game in EVERY aspect! Music, sounds, graphics, (aren't top notch but they don't have to be!) gameplay and every bug they found is squished! A perfect addition to any Strategy game fan! (it's also pretty newbie friendly. So it's easy to get in the game, but it's not easy to get good!)
  2. ChristopherD.
    Sep 11, 2003
    It is a excellent addition to the Age of Wonders series. Although the actual maps aready generated are not condusive of LAN or multiplay the random Map Generator more than makes up for it. The new races are an excellent addition to the already large selection. The new spells are a must and the graphics haven't let us down. overall I was well impressed with this thrid part imstallment It is a excellent addition to the Age of Wonders series. Although the actual maps aready generated are not condusive of LAN or multiplay the random Map Generator more than makes up for it. The new races are an excellent addition to the already large selection. The new spells are a must and the graphics haven't let us down. overall I was well impressed with this thrid part imstallment to a excellent gaming series. Expand
  3. BrianW.
    May 31, 2004
    The articles up at the top got it right. Something I didn't see mentioned that needs to be there is the awesome editor and modding capabilities of this beautiful engine. The community has made scores of maps that rival the developers' maps, and some so heavily modded as to represent the entire Lord of the Rings cast of characters and creatures. On top of that, I have yet to see The articles up at the top got it right. Something I didn't see mentioned that needs to be there is the awesome editor and modding capabilities of this beautiful engine. The community has made scores of maps that rival the developers' maps, and some so heavily modded as to represent the entire Lord of the Rings cast of characters and creatures. On top of that, I have yet to see a strategy game with graphics even close to this one. HoMM4, Civ3, you name it, is buried next to this title as strategy behemoth. Expand
  4. CannibalBob
    Oct 21, 2008
    I LOVE this game. The amount of detail put in is astounding, both on the global and combat level. Leveling characters and looting is also fun on its own. The graphics have very nice effects but sadly are not aging very well. Higher resolution sprites would most likely solve the problem. AOWSM also has a surprisingly active community.

The game has a few flaws, such as AI being...

The game has a few flaws, such as AI being... not very smart, as well as a few bugs (movement bugs, some mouse-wheel scroll bugs etc). The flaws are pretty minor, though, as the good things in the game far outweigh the bad.
  5. Dethedrus
    Jul 31, 2003
    Enough new content to qualify as a major upgrade, plus smoother graphics and a random scenario generator. Damn fine work Triumph!
  6. JoaquinDaSilva
    Aug 18, 2003
    One of the best TBS games out there so far. Deep strategy, interesting RPG factor, fun and addictive gameplay. Its for sure a must have.
  7. DaMan
    Sep 7, 2004
    GREAT music! well balanced spells and units nice graphics However, this game lacks the wonderful story of the original and a longlasting campaign (instead of small campaigns). My verdict: an 8.
  8. Jan 3, 2013
    This game and the original Age of Wonders are still my favorite fantasy strategy games even though it has been almost 10 years since Shadow Magic came out. The variety of races, units, and spells gives the game near infinite replay value. This game has just the right blend of combat, exploration, research, and RPG elements. City management and diplomacy are quite simple but I prefer itThis game and the original Age of Wonders are still my favorite fantasy strategy games even though it has been almost 10 years since Shadow Magic came out. The variety of races, units, and spells gives the game near infinite replay value. This game has just the right blend of combat, exploration, research, and RPG elements. City management and diplomacy are quite simple but I prefer it that way. There are also many user created mods and scenarios that enhance the game. Expand
  9. Me
    Nov 12, 2007
    Not bad. Not bad at all. If I had never played Master of Magic, I would probably think this is one of the best strategy games ever. It does a few things better than MoM (quests), and a few things worse (the spells are less numerous and less varied and imaginative, there is not enough distinction between the colors of magic: many spells are essentially different colored version of the same Not bad. Not bad at all. If I had never played Master of Magic, I would probably think this is one of the best strategy games ever. It does a few things better than MoM (quests), and a few things worse (the spells are less numerous and less varied and imaginative, there is not enough distinction between the colors of magic: many spells are essentially different colored version of the same spell). Anyway, this game does enough things worse that, while an excellent game, MoM is still better. Expand
  10. Edo
    Nov 20, 2003
    The best fantasy strategic game available!!! Even the old might Master Of Magic (from which this game derives) is inferior to it! REALLY A GREAT GAME!!!
  11. AlK.
    Oct 1, 2005
    Pinpoint graphics to the point where I can see all the individual hairs on an orc's head aren't necessary to have a good game. Awesome units, magic, and brilliant strategy based maps are what keeps my mind coming back for more.
  12. FredB.
    Dec 11, 2006
    A great TBS game with beautiful graphics and highly tactical gameplay. Adds what the Wizard's Throne lacked and then some. It will provide many hours of entertainment (literally, since that's how TBS games are).
  13. Jan 13, 2014
    The best turn based strategy imho. So many races,creatures,spells its unreal. Combat is deep and tactical. Graphics are nice, music is just awesome.

10/10 as far as i am concerned. And the best thing? Age of Wonders 3 is coming this year :D
  14. Oct 25, 2011
    I bought this game at launch and 8yrs later it is still played by the whole family for at least a couple of months each year. We keep going back to it and have a great time when we do. It's well balanced in the main with only a couple of exceptions and these can be countered with a thoughtfully built stack of units.
    The AI is competent, on the medium settings it can be quite challenging in
    The AI is competent, on the medium settings it can be quite challenging in the early to mid game and on the harder settings it can crush you if you allow war on more than one front. There is a great variety of playable racesunits and magic specialisation, this combined with the wealth of community made maps and the excellent map generator offer infinite re playability.
    This is without doubt the best successor to Master of Magic and a "must have" for any strategy gamer from the more casual through to total grognards.
  15. Sep 10, 2012
    This is the best turn based game I've ever played!!! I really love these type of games, but this franchise is soooo superior compared to HOMM!! I really hope that one day that a new one will arise!
  16. Jun 20, 2013
    Great Game!
    I'm still playing it ten years after its release by email with some guys at Age of Wonders Heaven Forum.
    Very fun to play with friends or even the against AI can be amusing, although unofficial mods are needed to make them smarter/stronger, if you know the game well.
  17. Aug 7, 2013
    Anyone who likes strategy games will love this game. There is also a interesting story involving strang and terrorfying shadow-creatures from a evil realm. the gameplay is great and I love turn-based strategt games like this and if you like the sound of this you should get it

1. A perfect place to jump into the Age of Wonders series. It's "Age of Wonders II," only sporting a few refinements and a lot of extra content.
  2. The largest maps, which have three different levels of land, can provide dozens of hours of gameplay. [Nov 2003, p.128]
    There's lots of new stuff to play with, many new units, many new spells, plenty of campaign scenarios, single scenarios, and a random map generator that actually works like it's supposed to.