6.4

1. Jun 14, 2013
    A crude Diablo clone that can't boast mob behaviors even as varied as Diablo II's and (at least for now) lacks multiplayer or any map randomization. A pity, since seldom has a game so sorely needed a map generator. Stats and skills are arranged in three broad categories representing very slightly different ways of clicking loot pinatas, but there are no class restrictions. Everyone's melee, but can attack at range with skills. There's next to no equipment customization you largely decide up front what type you want to be using and equip the best to fall out of a wolf until a better one drops.

The f2p scheme is particularly revolting. You can grind away at each area ad nauseam to buy access to the next as well as any upgrades to your murdery little woman/man or you can pay to bypass the tedium. I thought f2p games had been growing a little more sophisticated in how they convince people they actually want to be spending money. Perhaps this sort of thing is still commonplace in the browser game space where Spicy Horse has taken up residence, but it struck me as an embarrassing relic.

Spectacular tackiness was also evident in its launch on Steam with a store page that does clearly identify it as early access, but certainly doesn't strain to clarify that it's a free-to-play game a category Steam does explicitly support whose store price buys only a bunch of in-game gubbins.

It's alright to look at but has nothing else going for it. The PC-style ARPG is a tightly crowded genre lately. Even with internet celebrity name recognition propping it up, one this unambitious and uninspired will deservedly sink without trace unless it undergoes quite radical redevelopment before whatever passes for "release" in the age of kickstarter and paid alpha access.
  2. Jun 22, 2013
    The game is simply not as good as it looks which is somewhat of a shame. The combat is not as fluid as it could be and the micro-transactional aspects of it really deteriorate the integrity of a game.
  3. Aug 11, 2013
    A very simplistic Diablo clone ruined by a greedy free-to-play pay scheme. Yes, it's f2p- except on Steam, where you spend $10 on in-game currency to play it. $10 should buy you the whole game, and even then it would be hard to recommend. It still isn't feature complete, despite a $200,000 Kickstarter and charging microtransactions on an unfinished game. Totally unbalanced atm, too. And again... even if it was not free to play, and was finished and balanced... it wouldn't be more than a 7/10. It's just too simple and bland. I loved the music and art style, btw... but they can't save it from the lifeless gameplay. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    As much as I love the work that Mr. American did on Alice Madness Returns, I can't recommend this game. I wanted to like this game, but I can't. The game feels unfinished. There is no multiplayer or Co-op mode or anything like that, which is basically the only reason why someone would play a game like this. The items are uninteresting, with very basic stats, and the levels are just boring. Most of the skills aren't interesting either, and some are very imbalanced. For example you can just use flame walk or whatever the name is, and just clear entire levels without basically taking damage. The talent tree, if you can call it that, doesn't make sense as some skills cap at the wrong levels, becoming too OP or just too weak to be viable in high level content. And about high level content, well... it's pretty damn hard to beat it on the highest difficulties, but guess what, that's because it's meant to be beaten only if you put real money in to the game. But hey, that's something I'm not that angry about actually.

I'm angrier at the fact that the game receives updates but at a very slow pace, mostly because Spicy Horse studios is small, and they keep spreading their resources in to making new games all the time, so you basically have 5 guys working on this game. Which is fine for Spice Horse, I guess. That's how they probabbly make their money, but it's terrible for us as players, who want the game to evolve and you just don't see it happening. Seriously, I started playing the game when it hit open beta, which was in january, and now it's 2014 and there still isn't multiplayer?

The only reason why I gave this game a 4, it's because the art style is good (even though it's using the Unity Engine which I just totally hate because of the terrible lack of graphical/game settings), and the sounds are also well made, and gives you that japanese vibe. But that's it. The game felt unfinished when it was released, and after a year of revisiting it, it's still pretty much feels like it's still beta, even though Mr. American considers it as released.

I say wait for one more year, and see how it goes. Right now, it's just a game that had so much potential, but got lost somewhere.
  5. Jun 14, 2013

1. Jul 30, 2013
    Poor: This is the first adjective that springs to mind in defining Akaneiro.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    With a cryptic business model, one would prefer the web-based F2P version of Akaneiro, if only it wasn't so dull and forcibly repetitive.
  3. May 7, 2013
    A hack’n’slash that quickly turns into a grindfest on the same maps over and over again. Unless you’re willing to pay through microtransactions to save yourself a lot of time and effort. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.59]