Akaneiro: Demon Hunters PC

6.5

1. Jun 15, 2013
    I appreciate that this is a free to play game in development, and I understand that perhaps it may improve as time goes on, but at the heart of it this is a game that's a step back from Diablo 2 in gameplay. It's very basic and boring, but some may appreciate that it has no price tag. Worth checking out to people who value cheaper games and would sacrifice a bit of quality for saving theirI appreciate that this is a free to play game in development, and I understand that perhaps it may improve as time goes on, but at the heart of it this is a game that's a step back from Diablo 2 in gameplay. It's very basic and boring, but some may appreciate that it has no price tag. Worth checking out to people who value cheaper games and would sacrifice a bit of quality for saving their bank account. Expand
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    Seems to have it's fair share of problems, but I feel like everyone is forgetting that this isn't retail... it's not even beta. This is basically a "work in progress" (early access on steam) version of the game.

I'm surprised this is even allowing scores this early. It's like looking at a pile of steel and claiming to know how the finished building is going to look and how ugly it will be.

Rating a 7 to keep the score even. I'll give it a true score when the game is "officially" released.
  3. Jan 9, 2014
    As much as I love the work that Mr. American did on Alice Madness Returns, I can't recommend this game. I wanted to like this game, but I can't. The game feels unfinished. There is no multiplayer or Co-op mode or anything like that, which is basically the only reason why someone would play a game like this. The items are uninteresting, with very basic stats, and the levels are just boring.As much as I love the work that Mr. American did on Alice Madness Returns, I can't recommend this game. I wanted to like this game, but I can't. The game feels unfinished. There is no multiplayer or Co-op mode or anything like that, which is basically the only reason why someone would play a game like this. The items are uninteresting, with very basic stats, and the levels are just boring. Most of the skills aren't interesting either, and some are very imbalanced. For example you can just use flame walk or whatever the name is, and just clear entire levels without basically taking damage. The talent tree, if you can call it that, doesn't make sense as some skills cap at the wrong levels, becoming too OP or just too weak to be viable in high level content. And about high level content, well... it's pretty damn hard to beat it on the highest difficulties, but guess what, that's because it's meant to be beaten only if you put real money in to the game. But hey, that's something I'm not that angry about actually.

I'm angrier at the fact that the game receives updates but at a very slow pace, mostly because Spicy Horse studios is small, and they keep spreading their resources in to making new games all the time, so you basically have 5 guys working on this game. Which is fine for Spice Horse, I guess. That's how they probabbly make their money, but it's terrible for us as players, who want the game to evolve and you just don't see it happening. Seriously, I started playing the game when it hit open beta, which was in january, and now it's 2014 and there still isn't multiplayer?

The only reason why I gave this game a 4, it's because the art style is good (even though it's using the Unity Engine which I just totally hate because of the terrible lack of graphical/game settings), and the sounds are also well made, and gives you that japanese vibe. But that's it. The game felt unfinished when it was released, and after a year of revisiting it, it's still pretty much feels like it's still beta, even though Mr. American considers it as released.

I say wait for one more year, and see how it goes. Right now, it's just a game that had so much potential, but got lost somewhere.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    Poor: This is the first adjective that springs to mind in defining Akaneiro.
  2. Jun 25, 2013
    With a cryptic business model, one would prefer the web-based F2P version of Akaneiro, if only it wasn't so dull and forcibly repetitive.
  3. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    A hack’n’slash that quickly turns into a grindfest on the same maps over and over again. Unless you’re willing to pay through microtransactions to save yourself a lot of time and effort. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.59]