8.4

1. Jul 11, 2012
    I think the reviewers are being unfair on this game. It does not feel like a full commercial adventure game published in 2006. It's price, and its production, indicate that it is closer to a casual adventure game. On that scale it is a very good game. it will keep you interested for much longer than most casual games as it is constantly challenging in original and interesting ways. Many times I was stuck for a while and when I found the solution I felt pleased with myself, rather than annoyed with the game for presenting such an illogical problem (let's face it adventure games are somewhat prone to that). Maybe I have an odd sense of humour but when someone tells me an adventure game has great humour I usually find it makes me want to laugh about as much as watching clowns throw custard pies at each other and fall over their shoe laces i.e. not at all. Yet this game with its anti-hero loser is genuinely funny, often in unexpected and creative ways. Finally, if you like ragtime, the music is the best ragtime I have ever heard. If anyone knows where I can find the score please let me know. Expand

Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine is a reminder that while games come in many forms nowadays, there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a classic adventure.
  2. If the whole game were as good as the last part, it might have matched the games that inspired it, but instead Al Emmo is just a decent game for fans nostalgic for old-style adventures.
  3. The game looks gorgeous, tells an engaging story, has fantastic voiceovers and will have you in stitches at some of its many outrageously funny moments.