8.0

1. Feb 18, 2012
    No PC performance issues for me, I have a cheap ass PC, 2GB of ram and a graphic card that cost me £60 and most new games I can get medium-high so no idea what others are doing wrong because looks great for a console port on my PC, easily better than the 360 version.

No issues with controls, try harder guys! Even then you can plug in a controller but keyboard and mouse owrks fine for me. No crosshairs? What are you 6? Do you need Mummy to hold your hand when you cross the road? Really if you find it hard to aim in this game without crosshairs then try playing an easy game like CoD.

Game is excellent, even the cutscenes (which I usually want to skip in games) are good. Shame it took so long to come to the PC but then Microsoft was funding the game. Remedy have done a great job at porting this.
  2. Feb 17, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. It is an ode to a type of pulp horror that isnâ
  3. Jul 23, 2012
    I can't help but feel that they missed to land the stone in the bucket with this one. As moody the maps are, getting spoilers from writing before every exciting combat-situation just ruins the games already lacking ability of horror because the player is far from defenseless and adrenaline does not go well with fear. The story is intriguing leaving you wanting for more but alas theI can't help but feel that they missed to land the stone in the bucket with this one. As moody the maps are, getting spoilers from writing before every exciting combat-situation just ruins the games already lacking ability of horror because the player is far from defenseless and adrenaline does not go well with fear. The story is intriguing leaving you wanting for more but alas the publisher Microsoft decided to pull another DLC stunt (with a "manual calling them through a phone for any chance of refunds if the content is found lacking" requirement) out of their arses, covering this gem in even more dirt which is ironic considering 98% of the environments you are in contains trees and dirt. LOTS of trees and dirt as you are forced into the supposedly 21 century mandatory cut-scenes over and over again. I would be on the verge of overlooking all these flaws if it wasn't for the fact that It's a console port as well. Extremely poor performance at certain points and the aiming can be horrible when you need it the most. Remedy, come on man. You're better than this. Expand
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    Exceptionally good story.Gameplay is fantastic.The soundtrack is also one of the best out there.Graphics are very good and its performance is good too.
  5. Feb 26, 2012
    A great game! The scenarios are amazing and the history is very good. Some times the game is a little bit repetitive and the end is disappointing but Im glad the game was released to PC.
  6. Apr 4, 2012
    great, the game makes you think even if Alan is this crazy or what happens is real, no doubt the game is worth, has a great thriller and even being linear, there's that sense of limitation in the game. fantastic. Downside? perhaps the lack of diversity of enemies that is, we have only one type of enemy, which turns out to be nothing more nauseating way it spoils the game.
  7. Apr 6, 2012
    Remedy did an excellent job to make a very good quality PC-ver of their IP. I played in x-box ver. 2 years ago and now i was very impressed. Brilliant story, amazing town with details, forest and nature. Like the Taken's "pitch" voices and phrases :) It so unique, just love the game.
  8. May 1, 2012
    This game sucked me in for three days... and I don't regret even one second spend in this masterpiece. It was like reading one of early King's works. Unique story, combat mechanics are enjoyable to (till) the end. Overall - 10 out of 10. There were some flaws, but that wasn't enough to spoil the fun.
  9. Apr 25, 2012
    No fun at all, no freedom, no exploration and always the same creatures to kill. Sorry but it's not enough to make a good game.
    Graficaly it's nice, but very frustating cause we can't use that engine for exploration etc.
    Too much forest, too dark...

That's sad cause the story could be good support.
  10. Feb 17, 2012
    Awesome game. Very good graphics, runs very well also with older CPU, (I run full graphics 50 FPS in 1920x1080 with i7 920 2.66 GHz, Asus GTX 580 DirectCU II, 6 Gb RAM 1666 MHz)
    Atmosphere is something out of this world.
  11. Feb 19, 2012
    I'm making another review of Alan Wake, since I was able to tweak the settings and get half-decent performance at 1360x768 resolution.

The game uses an original way to tell a story. The way the story is told is great - episodic format, TV and radio show sequences, manuscript fragments you find. All very original. The story itself is not bad too. There are bad things, like facial

There are bad things, like facial animations and lipsyncing, even in prerendered cut scenes and low level of detail in models and textures. There are good things like lighting effects on sparks when you shoot the "taken", their smoky shadows, disturbance effects just before the "taken" appear and volumetric light effects - all look amazing.

Ultimately, though, the gameplay gradually becomes more and more boring. It's original in a way, because you have to use the flashlight on the "taken" before you are able to shoot them. But it's not that engaging to keep doing this over and over again for the length of the game. For me, the story wasn't interesting enough to endure the frustrating gameplay. For example Dreamfall had gameplay issues too, but it had a very compelling story that kept me playing even through the tedious parts till the very end of the game. With Alan Wake I gave up in the middle of the forth chapter.

So, to wrap it up, the game is not that bad to stop playing after 30 minutes, but at the same time not that great to finish it and say "that was a wonderful experience".

P.S.
    It looks like Metacritic is full of fanboys and any rating in the yellow or red automatically receives mostly downvotes. We are all sharing personal opinions here. Sorry, I didn't like your favorite game as much as you did.
  12. Feb 17, 2012
    Brilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third personBrilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third person action-thriller game then this is for you. The story and the action are what this game worth playing, there just simply is not much like it on the market to compare to. Then the price of $30 for the CE and all DLCs and soundtrack is just a massive bonus that seals the deal as one of the best PC releases of recent "port" history. Expand
  13. Feb 21, 2012
    Incredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price youIncredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price you probably need more than 10/10 rank. Great work Remedy. Expand
  14. Feb 18, 2012
    An excellent port. It is fast and stable at all times, load times are nearly nonexistent, plays at a steady 60 FPS (vsync) with all settings maxed on my Radeon HD 6970. It even minimizes without lagging/crashing, which is more than can be said for a lot of games made exclusively for the PC.

The game itself is fantastic. The story is gripping and the action is well-designed. Controls are tight and responsive. It relies heavily on atmosphere and really delivers in that respect. If you haven't played the XBOX version, this is one of the best $30 purchases you'll ever make.
  15. Feb 20, 2012
    I was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in theI was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in the 360, its visually stunning. It includes a lot of visual settings to adjust the game according to your hardware, not to mention that unlike some other games, you can adjust FOV in Alan Wake.
    And yes, i repeat this is a perfect conversion, not a ''port'' because i think that word is an insult to this game

This game brought good memories of games such as Max Payne, SH, Heavy Rain and RE4 in terms of atmosphere, which is one of the things that Remedy managed to achieve perfectly.

What i liked: +Storyline and characters
    +The Atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes
    +The graphics
    +Gameplay
    +Soundtracks

What i didn't like:
    Nothing really, i pretty much enjoyed every moment in this game, i loved how you are constantly under a lot pressure. It makes it very challenging.

On a side note, i highly recommend buying this, but most importantly, the Collector's Bundle which includes the soundtrack, dev commentary, and a PDF book which contains 130 pages. This is my first contender for GOTY 2012.
    (MUST BUY) - This game has the Chapa9DJ seal of approval, so go now and buy it. Support the devs for bringing this masterpiece to PC.

My Rating: 11/10 ... and i'm not exaggerating. Get it now or the darkness will get you.
  16. Jul 23, 2012
    bought Waky for 8 box on Steam, and must write, that this game is somehow a big fake after playing 1 and a half chapter ! the storyline is extremely boring and full of uninteresting stuff , and compared to games like Metro 2033 or Stalker f.a. a big bad joke. I wouldn't even allow my kids above 12 to play such a poor game.Ten years ago such a storyline would be worth 5 box maximum, butbought Waky for 8 box on Steam, and must write, that this game is somehow a big fake after playing 1 and a half chapter ! the storyline is extremely boring and full of uninteresting stuff , and compared to games like Metro 2033 or Stalker f.a. a big bad joke. I wouldn't even allow my kids above 12 to play such a poor game.Ten years ago such a storyline would be worth 5 box maximum, but nowadays this is a big fake from the whole game distribution system !! Don´t buy it and be happy about it , is my recommendation. A price about 20 to 30 Box for this is just unbelievable bad joke Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2012
    I waited this game so long... And now I can say this is one of the best game I've ever played. Super graphic, very, very nice story and so on. I like this game so much! 10/10
    I am big fan of this game!!!
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    Nice storyline, you're immersed in a show (reminds me kind of x files) but, excepting the narration this game simply sucks.
    Is divided in 6 episodes but if if you want to see the real "season finale" you must BUY episode 7 & 8 DLC!!!
    Game-play is ridiculous: go from point A to point B, location 90% of the time you're in the woods, you'll find in you way (inside the woods) everywhere batteries (with a famous brand/advertising) weapons and stocks of ammo everywhere?!? while you're walking with your annoying character that cannot run for more than 5/6 seconds, you'll find black men (made all the same) that want to kill you, kill them, go to point B, watch cut-scene and there you go repeat for all the other annoying levels.
  19. Feb 22, 2012
    A beautiful arrangement heavily inspired by Twin Peaks, Stephen King, The Twilight Zone and numerous other definitive classics from the horror and suspense genre. Truly mind-bending and enjoyable.

No performance issues. Running on a Radeon 6850 1GB GDDR5 and it runs maxed without a hiccup. The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and

The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and mouths in cut scenes are odd. Alan's mouth sometimes opens too big and looks weird when he is surprised and once in a great while there is some weird body language, but none of this is egregious or frequent enough to detract significantly from the story, and is more than likely a symptom of the fact that it was originally made for a console.

The voice acting and the soundtrack are always spot-on. An extremely memorable and enjoyable story and experience all around. Worth it even if you only play through it once.
  20. Mar 2, 2012
    hahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to playhahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to play and one of the best games i had the pleasure of playing. People complaining are all noobs who dont know how to configure their pc's to play it. And for those who complain about the design choices, go play COD with your awesome FOV and awesome gunplay where a knife is more powerful than a gun. Please. ALAN WAKE FTW! thank you remedy for this amazing game! hopefully youll stay pc now and show these console people how to make real games. Expand
  21. Feb 19, 2012
    The story is engaging at first, then it sucks you in. Game-play is like Max Payne, but with a flashlight, with dire consequences This is a mix I hope many developers follow. I didn't expect anything less from remedy. You guys keep pushing the develop in deep storytelling and content. We love you.
  22. Feb 23, 2012
    Pleasantly suprised with this game. I'm a big chicken when it comes to the survival/horror genre (I literally couldn't finish amnesia b/c I thought I was going to have a panic attack), and this game scared me quite a few times. The best part of this game is the "breaks" in scariness where you go around during the daytime advancing the story. This allowed me time for my nerves to calm downPleasantly suprised with this game. I'm a big chicken when it comes to the survival/horror genre (I literally couldn't finish amnesia b/c I thought I was going to have a panic attack), and this game scared me quite a few times. The best part of this game is the "breaks" in scariness where you go around during the daytime advancing the story. This allowed me time for my nerves to calm down and I was able to continue the story. Too many games forget to do this and I greatly appreciated it. The story is very interesting imo, and I played for a solid three days to finish the game. The combat isn't anything special, but it's still fun and challenging at times. Honestly the only problem I have with the game is the spoilers built into the manuscript system. You find pages of the story you are writing throughout the game. The catch is that sometimes you find pages that haven't happened in the game yet... So when you read them it gives away a scene of the game that you will be seeing some point in the future of the episode you are in. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you don't like spoilers then don't read the manuscript pages until after you are finished with the episode that you found them in. (If you're in episode 2 it's safe to read the pages from episode 1, etc.) The game is a must buy if you like suspenseful/horror titles. Expand
  23. Sep 10, 2012
    This game gave probably one of the best stories to date. Something between 80's horror flick, Twin Peaks and Lost. Gameplay is also innovative. Only problem is lack of some kind of ingame map. Game is that good that no need parts to wonder around not knowing where to go. That's bad but not crucial as there is not too much situations where you can stuck.
  24. Nov 25, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. The graphics are amazing, the idea is original, and the atmosphere is very well achieved... but the gameplay is simply horrendous, full of glitches and awkward mechanics. The third person camera is a total fail. It seems the game is oriented to a mature audience, and not to hardcore gamers, but even in this aspect it fails as the writing is quiteI really wanted to like this game. The graphics are amazing, the idea is original, and the atmosphere is very well achieved... but the gameplay is simply horrendous, full of glitches and awkward mechanics. The third person camera is a total fail. It seems the game is oriented to a mature audience, and not to hardcore gamers, but even in this aspect it fails as the writing is quite superficial, mundane, and full of clichés. The dialogues couldn't be more obvious... I bought it very cheap in a Steam sale, and I regret it completely. Expand
  25. Mar 2, 2012
    First off, credit where it's due: the PC port is excellent. Unfortunately for me, I did not find the gameplay interesting or engaging, it was too repetitve and shallow for me. Nor did I like the story. But I suspect people who like survival horror games will really like this one. It's not a bad game, I just did not find it to be fun to me.
  26. May 21, 2012
    This is called a piece of art!
    This is called a piece of art!
    Alan Wake is not yet_another_usual_game you'll play. It has all - a great psychological thriller story, wonderful dark atmosphere, great soundtrack and gameplay. You'll have a feeling that you're actually PLAYING the great episode of Twin Peaks. Focus is on storytelling, you'll not see a bunch of different enemies and wide arsenal of guns to play with. Action is straightforward, always shoot x many times to kill the enemy. Some people complains about this, but... it just fits this great game in every way - it's story driven game, not some action shooter. I'll start to spoil if i continue to write more about this game.
    Don't buy it if you don't plan to absorb every little thing it has to offer.
    The big 10 from me.
  27. Jul 19, 2012
    I wanted to buy this game on xbox before it was even released. Now I get it on Steam during summer sale, I'm playing it with keyboard and mouse.
    Due to the massive drama scripts, fictions and movies I've read and watched, I can guess the ending of the story a bit in episode one, but the gameplay still chill my spine. There were moments that I can feel that all body hair are erected.
    The
    The scary moment is completely different from the other survival zombie games. Although the path is quite linear I find no reason for it to be a maze.
    I like the idea that there is no aim without the flashlight. That makes the feeling closer to reality. After all, you won't feel scary if you aren't "inside" the game.
    Sadly, my laptop does not meet the requirement for the highest graphic setting, or it will be perfect.
  28. Jul 19, 2012
    I bought Alan Wake not knowing what I was getting (Steam sale) Wow! What a game. The combat, world, music, atmosphere are all top notch. If you would like GTA4 with a more linear experience as a horror movie, with the most well done atmosphere .. ever .. than you will love this game.
  29. Aug 18, 2012
    I know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer evenI know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer even with the settings at medium, and the dreadful soprano-style ending that spoiled what would have been a masterpiece; I just can't bring myself to rate this game perfect. The thing is that Alan Wake is - in so many areas - ahead of its time. It's that rare game that's more than the sum of its parts. The different aspects of the game, be it incredible graphics or near-flawless story-line, or even the true-to-life characters and voice-acting; are not just delivered with quality but implemented with a purpose, and every artistic aspect of the game successfully adds to the depth of the games artistic message. The game's horror atmosphere is one of the best, not stereotypical and predictable like Dead Space and other action/horror knockoffs. But the horror exists for a reason, the game's comedic moments exist for a reason, and the game's characters move and act for a purpose, and this purpose that so mysteriously and powerfully drives the game is something that almost no games have yet to find, and the purpose behind Alan Wake that sets it apart from the rest of the gaming scene. Alan Wake will grip you and take you down not only a path or horror but a journey that comes with it's own ups and downs. It's not a short one either, I lost 14 hours of my life to it. If I were to just rate Alan Wake as if it were a simple game, who's sole purpose is amusement, I'd give it around a 7, which is probably why the professional critic reviews of this game are what they are; but Alan Wake is far more than that. Alan Wake is an experience that needs experiencing, a true work of art. That's not something that can be described on a scale of 0-10. Other than the ending which seemed to entirely abandon the purpose and artistic message that had driven the plot for so long, this game is simply brilliant, and at times awe-inspiring. Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2012
    This isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting youThis isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting you catch your breath at just the right time. While the scares aren't quite inline with the likes of Silent Hill 2 the story and the pacing of Alan Wake won't disappoint and provides enough chills and thrills to keep you hooked. The only gripe I have is that it took me awhile to get use to the controls as they weren't very intuitive (I use a Windows 360 controller) and combat I also found using the mouse and keyboard rather weak and laggy, if you have a controller use it. I also found easy mode a bit too easy and normal mode way to hard, I can't imagine what hard difficulty is like. All in all Alan Wake is a great game and an a great port to the PC and if you like survival horror or 3D action games than you won't go wrong with this. Expand
  31. May 16, 2012
    Alan Wake is an amazing game that balances action, survival, a little bit of horror, and a captivating storyline. I found the targeting/aiming system to be a bit hit and miss, but the game allows flexible movement which makes the experience gentler. The survival aspect of it is well thought out, but not always well executed. I never did run out of flashlight batteries, and always hadAlan Wake is an amazing game that balances action, survival, a little bit of horror, and a captivating storyline. I found the targeting/aiming system to be a bit hit and miss, but the game allows flexible movement which makes the experience gentler. The survival aspect of it is well thought out, but not always well executed. I never did run out of flashlight batteries, and always had enough ammunition to not worry. The horror aspect of it would have been greatly increased should either of those resources been just slightly less. Regardless, this is a game everyone should check out and play. It will not be a waste of your time. Expand
  32. May 9, 2012
    Love this game. Originally owned it on the 360 and upon hearing it was releasing on PC immediately re bought so i could do another play through. Game has one of the best stories ive seen in a video game, has very smooth controls, great graphics, and is very thrilling to play. Give it a shot you wont be disappointed.
  33. Mar 2, 2012
    *Cracks knuckles*................First off the detractor statements- the dodge mechanic implemented is flawed and WILL get you killed for relying on it. The manuscript pages are literally text on a screen (Remember Lost Odyssey?) and after the first page, I disregarded each thereafter. The vehicles handle akin to an elderly person in a wheelchair running over an oil slick and the camera*Cracks knuckles*................First off the detractor statements- the dodge mechanic implemented is flawed and WILL get you killed for relying on it. The manuscript pages are literally text on a screen (Remember Lost Odyssey?) and after the first page, I disregarded each thereafter. The vehicles handle akin to an elderly person in a wheelchair running over an oil slick and the camera while driving will urge you to find the nearest barf bag. Why am I constantly losing and regaining pickup items? You spend far too much time grabbing sh*t off of tables, etc only to do it again, and again and again....with the horror vibe, I was hoping Remedy would adopt an RE4 model with continuous inventory. (Oh well.) Also, not to nitpick, but the cutscenes are a joke. Dead Rising characters emoted more than this game. IMO they should have stuck with keeping you as far away from the hideous uncanny valley faces as possible. Lest I forget yo mention it, but Alan Wake is full of MONSTER CLOSETS! Oh, the humanity...here's the entire strategy in this game: Step 1, run through gated spawn point. Step 2, trigger enemy spawns via slow motion scene. Step 3, run back the way you came and funnel them down the narrowest possible stretch of surface area. Rinse, repeat. Starts to get just a wee bit old after 5 or so hours...................and now, the great things about Alan Wake and why it deserves a a 'good' score, but not 'great': The story, the writing, the characters are all memorable and occasionally legitimately humorous. I enjoy the base combat to an extent and the flashlight mechanic as a visual metaphor and tangible game-y device is tactile and interesting. The presentation after each episode ends is nicely done, with some great musical inclusions..............So, a bunch of gripes, yet the game IS worth a try, throw down some $ for a discounted steam copy in a few months I'd say.-------------------------(And to all the babies complaining about the controls: buck the f*ck up and grab a controller. The game is clearly intended first and foremost around a gamepad. This is not a 'twitch' game, people.)------------------------ Expand
  34. Mar 25, 2012
    Very good story, captures and captivates. It makes you want to move on. Personally one of the best "survival horror" I've played.
    + The graphics do not look but not far behind.
    + The music composition is very good.
    + The gameplay of this game is aimed at control but you can play well with keyboard-mouse.
    Recommended.

(translated by google)
  35. Aug 12, 2013
    I wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at leastI wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at least two hours in) and quite repetitive. Thanks, but no thanks.
    (Also, shooting mechanics and point of view sucked, not very intuitive)
  36. Jun 10, 2013
    I really wish Alan Wake wouldn't have been a video game but rather a book, a movie or maybe even a TV-series. Why you ask? Alan Wake has a good story, full of good writing and interesting moments. But then there is the gameplay: It's repetitive, frustrating and uninteresting. Aim with flashlight, wait until darkness is gone, shoot. Nothing ever changes. Except the amount of enemies. IfI really wish Alan Wake wouldn't have been a video game but rather a book, a movie or maybe even a TV-series. Why you ask? Alan Wake has a good story, full of good writing and interesting moments. But then there is the gameplay: It's repetitive, frustrating and uninteresting. Aim with flashlight, wait until darkness is gone, shoot. Nothing ever changes. Except the amount of enemies. If there are more than 3 or 4 enemies, you are most likely screwed. Alan Wake is a and can't even fall off a 1/2 meter "cliff" without taking a ton of damage. But the worst thing was the car driving. Even Mass Effect did vehicle sections better than this game! Expand
  37. Feb 9, 2014
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    First of all. Terrible shaking videos brings you on island, where you get wrong direction and your girlfriend disappear. Ok, nice start and there are some scary ghost in forest, many pages from book, where are future steps described....
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    BUT! Main character is terribly crappy, unable to walk and run more than 50 meters. His position is on side, but he is moving to the center of screen, what is terrible first hour. After 1 hour you find him terrible clumsy. Ghost persons are coming from nowhere and you have to hit them with light from your lamp. And during this, he is terribly clumsy. When you are trying to run from them, they are faster and Alan is terribly clumsy to go around tree, rock. When Alan is hit, he is clumsy more than before...
    This game is joke. Creator was somebody who was creating main character and scene perspective completely drunk. When I see other games like Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, where character control is helpful, not doing stupidities, I'm asking WHY ? WHY ? Why did I bought this terrible game ???????
  38. Feb 28, 2012
    v00d00m4n's post says it all. Game with great potential gets a lousy console port with crappy gameplay and control. I'm (maybe was?) a huge Remedy fan. Played all their games from Death Rally to this piece of crap. It's looks like a disgusting trial to rip off more money from gamers.

Remedy, i've read, you are PC gamers at heart and really wanted to make this port. If that's true, than do us all a favor: next time do not listen to your heart if you don't consider to do it right ....
  39. Jun 28, 2012
    Alan Wake had an incredible chance to be a great action game, however there are several fundamental flaws including the flashlight-based weapon system. Beautiful scenery in and locations in this game are largely ruined by the game being predicated on darkness. NOT FUN.
  40. Jul 27, 2012
    I was really looking forward to play this game. The story is great, but unfortunately I had to give up... the camera was driving me crazy and difficulty is just above my level -- attacked from all sides without enough ammo, that's a combination I couldn't manage. Pity, I'd love to know the rest of the story, but I'll just probably google it.
  41. Feb 17, 2012
    who invented these terrible controles? its like swiming. a very annoying camera angle in combination with the swiming movement and no aiming feedback are ruining the whole gameexperience. its made for masochists rathers than pc gamers. im used to direct, complete and precice control in games. this thing is the complete opposite.

because of that, its unplayable for me.
  42. May 9, 2012
    When purchasing the over shoulder third-person camera angle, you'd expect to be looking over the character's right shoulder, not the character's left leg. With Alan running at your far right eye's end it draws your focus away from what you need to be paying attention to, such as that pit in front of you that you're not going to see because you are too busy looking at Alan and trying toWhen purchasing the over shoulder third-person camera angle, you'd expect to be looking over the character's right shoulder, not the character's left leg. With Alan running at your far right eye's end it draws your focus away from what you need to be paying attention to, such as that pit in front of you that you're not going to see because you are too busy looking at Alan and trying to focus around him and not the screen in front of you. When purchasing a horror game, you'd expect horror and not one and a half second cut-scenes of mashed up garbage with blaring "dark" music, because if companies have learned anything by now, which they haven't, it's that suddenly blaring the player with loud sounds or music does not create scares, just pain in the ears. To say that Alan Wake is linear is a dramatic understatement, to say it's passable is a dramatic overstatement. In the begging, Alan mentions he has lost interest in writing, it has become clear to me that companies have lost interest in their customers. Expand
  43. Sep 28, 2013
    I find it difficult to accept many of the positive reviews made here for this game. In all honestly, you could barely call it a game at all. It's more like an interactive story in the vein of Dear Esther than a game. It's boring and predictable, the controls are awful and the choices are superficial. It's about as horrific as ordering neopolitan icecream and discovering they gave you allI find it difficult to accept many of the positive reviews made here for this game. In all honestly, you could barely call it a game at all. It's more like an interactive story in the vein of Dear Esther than a game. It's boring and predictable, the controls are awful and the choices are superficial. It's about as horrific as ordering neopolitan icecream and discovering they gave you all strawberry. Do not buy even on sale. Expand
  44. May 26, 2012
    If this game Doesn't get 10 points from me, not sure what would. Easily one of the best games I've played past 10 years. Story that gets you hooked from the beginning, One of the Best sound tracks in gaming ever.
    Looks and sounds nice, characters really well done. world is filled with so much detail.
  45. Aug 7, 2013
    The worst control system ever, camera is horrible, the only effect is lens flare, EVERYWHERE, every damn light has a lens flare effect on it. the story MAY be interesting, but i don't know because i found the game SO BORING that i stopped playing after 40 minutes of game, because i had no interest for the story, i had no will to go on, and most of all i was so sick of the character! I lostThe worst control system ever, camera is horrible, the only effect is lens flare, EVERYWHERE, every damn light has a lens flare effect on it. the story MAY be interesting, but i don't know because i found the game SO BORING that i stopped playing after 40 minutes of game, because i had no interest for the story, i had no will to go on, and most of all i was so sick of the character! I lost interest in half an hour. Really a bad bad game. BAD! Fortunately i payed it 3€! :P Expand
  46. Feb 22, 2012
    Very bad porting to the PC a good console game, horrible optimization, horrible management (management of the keyboard and mousetrap). Main gripe with the game is that the game is released 2 years later and still the difference from the console version is no (graph and control). Control on the controller very well. mousetrap on your keyboard and all the fun of the game becomes a torment!
  47. Feb 25, 2012
    Really great game, a solid masterpiece. I think it's one of my all time favourites ever (and I'm middle-aged gamer). Also I'm once again happy that I play games only on PC. Thank's Remedy!
  48. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the story of the game and to fight with light was fun, even if the story was a little strange twisted sometimes. I liked the machines going after you and to hunt them down. Altogether there were some nice ideas in it. The graphics are pretty nice, only the controls were annoying sometimes. Expand
  49. May 17, 2012
    I heard so much good about Alan Wake, I decided to buy it. It has a decent, engaging story, that draws you in, however it's not very unique in my opinion. The reason for it, is that I read a lot of Stephen King and I'm generally into this twilight zone stuff, so I'm pretty familiar with the used elements which often feel like they have been recycled from different novels and tv shows. It'sI heard so much good about Alan Wake, I decided to buy it. It has a decent, engaging story, that draws you in, however it's not very unique in my opinion. The reason for it, is that I read a lot of Stephen King and I'm generally into this twilight zone stuff, so I'm pretty familiar with the used elements which often feel like they have been recycled from different novels and tv shows. It's not really a problem since Alan Wake does the recycling well. The uniqueness comes from the method of how the story is being told. I'm sure that this king of thing was never done in a video game before. I like how they chose the dramatic moments of the game and how the makers keep you in the dark (no pun intended), for a relatively long time before you understand every event that happens and feels confusing at the start. The atmosphere is strong but it's not as heavy and terrifying as other survival horrors in recent memory. The fight system is very well done and also brings something new to TPS games. My only complaint is that you have to be fast therefore have to turn fast which resulted in heavy headaches in my case. That is why it took me a week to play through this otherwise not very long game. You don't have to make any choices through the story, the off battle part is basically an interactive movie. I don't think it's a negative thing, but it felt like my hand was held the whole time.
    Technically it's a very good port. The graphics are awesome and there weren't any framerate issues on my 3 year old system. I was forced to play it with mouse and keyboard because the game didn't recognize my generic gamepad. I would recommend this game to players who prefer well written and engaging stories.
  50. Feb 24, 2012
    My PC was told it couldn't handle this game (by the game itself), but it still could. Not maxed out, but at a very enjoyable level (perfectly ported to PC). Anyway, combat can get a bit repetitive, although the story is so great it will most probably keep you going. This game can really suck you in. It could be the awesome aftertaste I'm having right now, but I'd say this will be a classicMy PC was told it couldn't handle this game (by the game itself), but it still could. Not maxed out, but at a very enjoyable level (perfectly ported to PC). Anyway, combat can get a bit repetitive, although the story is so great it will most probably keep you going. This game can really suck you in. It could be the awesome aftertaste I'm having right now, but I'd say this will be a classic on a par with The Endless Journey.

There is no BS with the storyline, the game play or anything else. This is an honest game, and good. It's about time we see some serious writing in video games. I hope they make a sequel or two.
  51. Aug 23, 2013
    The controls are awful, very hard to focus your gun and even difficult to walk straight with the 3rd person view; you're also constantly looking 'around' Alan who seems to enjoy blocking my view of where I want to go. I've tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, both are awful to control, the lack of control takes you out of the story; the graphics are otherwise quite good and useThe controls are awful, very hard to focus your gun and even difficult to walk straight with the 3rd person view; you're also constantly looking 'around' Alan who seems to enjoy blocking my view of where I want to go. I've tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, both are awful to control, the lack of control takes you out of the story; the graphics are otherwise quite good and use interesting effects, I'm sure this would be an enjoyable game if it was actually playable (how the majority of reviewers are able to play this is beyond me). Further, Alan cannot attack his enemies when he does not have any ammo, no fists or kicks, no using the flashlight as blunt impact; this means you stand there like a taking a beating until you reload the level with 12 bullets which at times is not enough and you still have to double-back to hopefully find a stash (then if you die and need the ammo, you have to do it again, and again). I would constantly run out of ammo, often wasting shots due to the controls. The game only saves at predetermined check points, you cannot save where you want to. I've put 5 hours into it, which according to howlongtobeat is about half way, I have zero inspiration to conclude this "nightmare" (which it is, for all the wrong reasons) and do not recommend whatsoever. +3 points for good graphics and creative use of story, -7 for abysmal controls. Expand
  52. Mar 24, 2012
    Remedy proves once again that it is one of the best teams of developers on the market. Great story routed in the convention show, believable characters, and finally a very good audio visual setting makes Alan Wake the unique gme. An additional plus for references to the work S.King and Twin Peaks.
  53. Feb 26, 2012
    Performance is an issue for low-end rigs. I have a laptop, so I need to be able to dial the resolution down to accommodate. I expected the usual silence from the developer concerning the PC port, but in this case was pleasantly surprised. For those that don't know, download the latest patch from the developer and in Windows add the following parameters to the end of the "target" box on thePerformance is an issue for low-end rigs. I have a laptop, so I need to be able to dial the resolution down to accommodate. I expected the usual silence from the developer concerning the PC port, but in this case was pleasantly surprised. For those that don't know, download the latest patch from the developer and in Windows add the following parameters to the end of the "target" box on the "properties" page for the shortcut you use to launch the game (without quotes): "-w800 -h480". Even at a res that low, like Crysis 2, it still looks plenty pretty enough and will run smoothly even on your granny's computer. Also, they included the oft-neglected FOV option, which is good but not as important in this particular case because the view is 3rd person. Oh yeah the game... ;) The game is SIlent Hill with better combat. Very atmospheric, usual puzzle/survival based format, but with satisfying cap-bustery. Very pretty too. The story quirks are also very impressive, for instance the "Twilight Zone" style mini-stories you see playing on various TVs throughout the world are quite engrossing. An enjoyable game highly recommended. And big thanks to the PC dev team for actually making an effort! Expand
  54. May 3, 2012
    What a beautiful masterpiece! A console port well done! The atmosphere of the game is absolutely brilliant and very believable! Just like Max Payne! It may be a bit repetitive but still a well made out PC game.
    -the-epikninja
  55. Apr 19, 2012
    ** This is my own opinion on the game, It should be noted that these reviews aren't exactly completely trustworthy because of this. Alan Wake has a surprisingly strong game which outshines how linear it is. Alan Wake's strong story line is formatted in a way that keeps you interested throughout the game. The game looks good on my system with crisp graphics and nice lightning(Others have** This is my own opinion on the game, It should be noted that these reviews aren't exactly completely trustworthy because of this. Alan Wake has a surprisingly strong game which outshines how linear it is. Alan Wake's strong story line is formatted in a way that keeps you interested throughout the game. The game looks good on my system with crisp graphics and nice lightning(Others have noted problems for other computers but that may be a setup issue). The FOV feels a bit strained but it's not too bad. The use of the flashlight as a cross-hair adds a level of realism. The game-play is strong though later in the game combat starts to feel a bit repetitive in some parts. All together If you are a fan of Steven King, or just the horror/thriller genre in general you should pick up this game since its worth the time, effort and cash. Expand
  56. May 15, 2012
    Alan Wake probably has the most intense and well structured storyline I've ever encountered in a game. It's absolutely amazing and has a decent gameplay too. I fell in love with it and I'll recommend this game to every gamer.
  57. Jun 3, 2013
    Its an "okey" type of game but its no where near awesomeness. Alan needs to loose the imagination.. I mean, ghosts haunting different things and then disappears? And then there's the flashlight issue, if you aim your gun along with your flashlight, your battery power will drain A LOT faster BUT if you quit aiming then the battery power goes right back to full in just seconds but the onlyIts an "okey" type of game but its no where near awesomeness. Alan needs to loose the imagination.. I mean, ghosts haunting different things and then disappears? And then there's the flashlight issue, if you aim your gun along with your flashlight, your battery power will drain A LOT faster BUT if you quit aiming then the battery power goes right back to full in just seconds but the only thing that happens is he turns the lens at the light end of the flashlight but turning the lens has nothing to do with using more power unless its malfunctioning.

The game does not interest me very much but maybe to some writers but I have a feeling this game takes it a totally wrong direction.. So what do you usually get when you make a game from a video/movie/novel? Trash.. Take a look at aliens colonel marines, now take a look at star trek and now take a look at a bunch of other ones like avatar.. Same song and dance right? Exactly and thats why the outcome is always terrible. I have to admit though.... The GFX don't seem so bad, gameplay is kinda lame cause alan can't run very much at all but he can atleast run for say 3 seconds so thats something (FAIL) 2/10
  58. Mar 5, 2012
    I originally gave this a 4, because the controls were hard to get used to and the game had severe ammo/weapon limitations. However, as the plot developed and the game spanned across some beautiful scenery, I became somewhat addicted to this game and I was able to use most of the controls. Perhaps, I just haven't been exposed to a game where you have to rely so much on a flashlight.
  59. Feb 21, 2012
    As with any multiplatform game played on a PC, it is nowhere near the quality of the console version. I would suggest that anyone who isn't a complete gaming hipster to just stick to the console version if they want to replay it.
  60. May 31, 2013
    Well, it looks like my previous review was deleted. Remedy doesn't like bad press, I guess? Alan Wake is not a good game. The gameplay is awful, the story is very cliche and uninteresting. The port job done on it is awful; the framerate suffers even on the highest end machine. The camera angle is one of the the worst i've seen in a third person game. It's at such an awkward angle that it'sWell, it looks like my previous review was deleted. Remedy doesn't like bad press, I guess? Alan Wake is not a good game. The gameplay is awful, the story is very cliche and uninteresting. The port job done on it is awful; the framerate suffers even on the highest end machine. The camera angle is one of the the worst i've seen in a third person game. It's at such an awkward angle that it's impossible for your character to walk forward, but always walks and a slight angle. The game has to have a mini cutscene to show you every time an enemy pops up, you you get control taken away from you ever 30 seconds or so. It's like they couldn't figure a good way to alert you to enemies, so they had to put in cutscenes. Remedy has proven they are a below average developer at best, and not worth of your time or money. Stay away. Expand
  61. Mar 15, 2013
    BORING. This game is really boring. It has a background story, yes, but you just can't influence it. It is one of those games that gives you a false impression of free will, but, in the end you must do whatever the game designers wanted you to do.
    And the fightings with the monsters? Not fun at all.
  62. Jul 24, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this game, but unfortunately, its poor execution in regards to gameplay mechanics had me smashing inanimate objects. The story was interesting, which kept me going for a while. This is really one of the only strong points of the game. I could deal with the awkward camera angles and lack of a crosshair. The combat was repetitive, annoying, and pointless. GoingI really wanted to enjoy this game, but unfortunately, its poor execution in regards to gameplay mechanics had me smashing inanimate objects. The story was interesting, which kept me going for a while. This is really one of the only strong points of the game. I could deal with the awkward camera angles and lack of a crosshair. The combat was repetitive, annoying, and pointless. Going through and finding the collectibles was more of an annoyance than fun. The biggest thing that made me quit the game for good was the respawning enemies. What is this, 2002? Expand
  63. Jul 7, 2013
    First, I'd just like to say that I created a metacritic account JUST so I could warn people about this game. Do not get it. It is horrible.
    I've played a lot of bad games, and this one didn't seem too bad at first. The story telling isn't bad, though it isn't good enough to save it from the many faults the game has. First of all, the controls are sloppy. The sensitivity is very high. I played on the lowest sensitivity and still had trouble controlling it well. Sometimes the controls are also unresponsive. In one part of the game, you are given flares that you have to hit a key to use. Well, sometimes I would literally spam this key when enemies were near me, and it still wouldn't work.
    Even though the game has okay story telling, it has very bad game-play. You will be killing re-skinned versions of the same few enemies throughout the game. A lot of the time, they will surround you, and you just won't be able to kill them. You have to shine your flashlight at them for a few seconds before you can even start shooting. Now, you may think that sounds like a new and interesting mechanic. Well, it probably would be if it were implemented well, rather than having to do this for every single enemy. They will charge you from different directions, making it difficult to kill them before they can get to you. Did I mention that they run faster than you as well?
    The game also seems to have frame issues. The fps dropped very low in a lot of areas, and I have a decent rig.
    Overall, I would tell you to avoid this game; perhaps buy it for console if you would really like to play it.
  64. May 14, 2012
    God, this game is so aweful, if I facepalm any harder I'll be smearing brain into the back of my chair.

Yeeaaarrrsssss ago, it got tauted is a "next gen" DX10 love child, and I was all.... ooooh ...if only the gfx were the worst part..... It suffers terribly from the "Mega Man!! Mega MAN!!! MEGA **** MAN!!!!!!!" issue so many games have. And it does that not with just gameplay, but

...if only the gfx were the worst part.....

It suffers terribly from the "Mega Man!! Mega MAN!!! MEGA **** MAN!!!!!!!" issue so many games have. And it does that not with just gameplay, but plot, and other **** too.

For instance:
    You hear "beep beep beep" and he NARRATES that he got a text message and describes what it could have said, instead of **** showing you an eerie text message.

And for some reason, there is a Big Daddy in the game, like 60% through, you find out that the light in the sky doing all the "Mega Man!!!" stuff is a guy in a retro dive suit.

Yeah, at first I thought the gfx were bad
    ...then I thought the tutorial-mega-man **** was bad
    ...then I thought the action was bad
    ...then I thought the intrusive narration was bad

But no
    THEN they added new "enemies" : Flying ovens and refrigerators that you have to kill with your flashlight. God, I kept playing it to get my $15 worth. Now I think I'd pay someone $15 never to have to touch it again.
  65. Jun 4, 2013
    Cool concept, but poorly executed. I found it impossible to get immersed in the story because I kept having to deal with the stupid game. Things like objectives and paths being difficult to find. I was really surprised the feature "focus" that is supposed to focus on your objective rarely functioned and only seemed to be scripted to show you trivialities rather than things you're trying toCool concept, but poorly executed. I found it impossible to get immersed in the story because I kept having to deal with the stupid game. Things like objectives and paths being difficult to find. I was really surprised the feature "focus" that is supposed to focus on your objective rarely functioned and only seemed to be scripted to show you trivialities rather than things you're trying to find. Hunting around for switches and paths was very annoying.

The attacks from bad guys got repetitive fast. Combat isn't very challenging (other than the fact that you have no crosshair and the 3rd person view is severely offset) and isn't rewarding.

There are numerous detours to grab loot, but whats the point? I found it really diverting from the story, which is what I thought it was about. accumulating items and having to waste time going down dead ends to get ammo seems like a pointless chore for this type of game.

I lost interest in the first chapter of the game alone. There were too many annoyances that dragged the game out and frankly the story up to that point wasn't compelling enough for me to suffer through the nonsense.
  66. Feb 26, 2012
    Have you ever felt like giving a character in a game a hug to reassure and comfort them? That is how I felt at one point early in the game.

Highly recommended if you like the story driven kind of game.
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    Now this is a very interesting game. It has an interesting and unique storyline backed with an original concept. The graphics are solid and voice acting sounds natural and I enjoyed the plot immensely. The storyline is, very much, the strong point of this game. The plot feels very much like a Dean Koontz book; not highly complex, but dark, enjoyable and at points, unexpected. The firstNow this is a very interesting game. It has an interesting and unique storyline backed with an original concept. The graphics are solid and voice acting sounds natural and I enjoyed the plot immensely. The storyline is, very much, the strong point of this game. The plot feels very much like a Dean Koontz book; not highly complex, but dark, enjoyable and at points, unexpected. The first person narrating, however, becomes a bit intrusive at points. The game, however, is letdown by a very difficult and clumsy combat system. The player does not get any real crosshair to aid them in shooting; instead they get a beam of torchlight. This is all good and well, however the character lined up in a slightly askew manner such that â Expand
  68. Aug 5, 2013
    This is shallow two-button gameplay combined with the worst of a high school creative writing contest all rolled into one. I actually played through it with a few of my friends watching, MST3K Rifftracks style. The writing is at least as cliche and stilted as 'This Island Earth'.
  69. Dec 14, 2015
    what a waste of money. you run with a lighter and shot ghosts. overrated game nothing for me but good for lil kids and the american nightmare is the same
  70. Jun 15, 2015
    This is an example of someone who has a decent story idea and then implements it so poorly with game design.

Horrible camera, very annoying combat, graphics don't utilize any modern graphics enhancements (kind of caps out at mediocre 1080p-ish), and poor character control too. The atmosphere is good and the story is decent, but it definitely isn't worth the supreme annoyances from so

The atmosphere is good and the story is decent, but it definitely isn't worth the supreme annoyances from so many of the other parts of the game.
  71. Jun 22, 2012
    Yes, everything you heard it true. Its linear, repetitive, but its fun and it doesn't overstay its welcome. The playtime is basically enought to leave you satisfied, but just before the monotony kicks in. As a character Wake is interesting even though his writing is really corny (to the point that even the guy who wrote for this character parodied the style on his blog himself) it evenYes, everything you heard it true. Its linear, repetitive, but its fun and it doesn't overstay its welcome. The playtime is basically enought to leave you satisfied, but just before the monotony kicks in. As a character Wake is interesting even though his writing is really corny (to the point that even the guy who wrote for this character parodied the style on his blog himself) it even adds some atmosphere. Expand
  72. Mar 13, 2013
    A game that has a great story, and if enjoyed as more of an interactive move rather than a game is a real blast.

Unfortunatly the combat really lets this game down, it is trying to be scary making you feel vulnerable with just a few bullets and a flashlight, but that is not actually the case. The game does not have crosshair aim, and your bullets auto aim at enemys, and often miss. As a result you will run out of bullets ALOT in this game. Fortunately the game allows you to dodge enemy attacks, but once you get the timing down on that you basically cannot be killed. Running out of torch/bullets means you simply cannot kill any enemies, and must flee, however they messed that up too as the sprint function shares the same key as the dodge function, but you can still be hit while sprinting. It's actually better to merrily strole down the road with the enemy glitching out behind you constantly swinging at you and you hit the dodge button every time, taking no damage till you find a streetlight that doesnt explode as you arrive. It's not scary or stressful, it's just tedious as hell and feels like pointless filler between the excellent plots and story of the game. I'd have been quite happy if they took the combat out of the game altogether, but thne the game would be like 30 mins long.

The very least that can be done to improve this game is give infinite bullets. The torch battery thing is enough to contend with without worrying about ammo when there simply isnt enough of it in the game. However to give the game any higher than a 6 the combat would need to be entirely reworked. Preferably to be fun/scary as opposed to tedious/frustrating/time wasting/filler.
  73. Jul 30, 2012
    Portuguese Critic.

Portuguese Critic.

Alan Wake é um jogo muito bem bolado, em relação a sua jogabilidade e seu enredo emocionante, digamos que pode ser considerado um game do estilo terror gráfico ou suspense. Levando um pouco a psicologia do protagonista, escritor Alan Wake, o motivo por não ter dado 10 ou 9 é pelo fato de terem poucas armas e e até mesmo ser um pouco repetitivo, porém, é um jogo muito bom, vale a pena baixar uma tradução e ficar horas neste grande jogo.
  74. Mar 16, 2012
    The game start out AMAZING! I was incredibly entranced. It felt like I was playing a stephen king novel. The further you get in the story though the more off the wall it gets. The game wraps up and it feels like a different story than you started playing. If I could rate just the later half of the game I would say its a 2. But the Starting bit is a solid 10. Hopefully the 2nd game willThe game start out AMAZING! I was incredibly entranced. It felt like I was playing a stephen king novel. The further you get in the story though the more off the wall it gets. The game wraps up and it feels like a different story than you started playing. If I could rate just the later half of the game I would say its a 2. But the Starting bit is a solid 10. Hopefully the 2nd game will have a better story arch. Expand
  75. Jul 21, 2013
    Alan Wake has some great writing, a great story, great embedded atmosphere, but suffers a bit from repetitive gameplay. I found all of the cutscenes to be a relief from having to use the same mechanics over and over again to fight the zombies. With no RPG elements to speak of, I found myself becoming bored by the gameplay about half way through, but the story was too compelling to give upAlan Wake has some great writing, a great story, great embedded atmosphere, but suffers a bit from repetitive gameplay. I found all of the cutscenes to be a relief from having to use the same mechanics over and over again to fight the zombies. With no RPG elements to speak of, I found myself becoming bored by the gameplay about half way through, but the story was too compelling to give up on. Second, the survival elements of this game are out of whack. I found the game to be a lot of feast and famine- some levels, I would have all the flares and ammunition I needed. On other levels, I died multiple times because there's no way to kill bad guys without ammo, and I would get stuck in an area with constantly spawning enemies. Since there's no indication of this, I would try and fight my way out, trying time after time, but would eventually have to run out to escape (which is difficult, given your character's limited stamina). On a side note, there's tons of great, original content that went into this game- the story pages, the original songs, and the Night Springs TV show. These items, plus the story, made the game worth the trip. Expand
  76. Apr 29, 2014
    For god's sake! this is the best and most moving storyline in the game i've played EVER!
    simply beutiful graphics and the gameplay that perfectly suits the rest.

Hihgly reccomend
  77. Feb 19, 2013
    If you liked the weird and crazy story telling of the first two Max Payne games, Alan Wake is worth checking out. While Max Payne 1 and 2 had a Noire comic-book style story, Alan Wake does the same thing but with a Steven King mystery-horror style. The game has a lot of good atmosphere too, a solid feeling of the weirdness this world is trying to present to you. The gameplay is also veryIf you liked the weird and crazy story telling of the first two Max Payne games, Alan Wake is worth checking out. While Max Payne 1 and 2 had a Noire comic-book style story, Alan Wake does the same thing but with a Steven King mystery-horror style. The game has a lot of good atmosphere too, a solid feeling of the weirdness this world is trying to present to you. The gameplay is also very solid. This game is more survival horror than Max Payne, but by the end of the game, you have so much ammo that it feels like an action game. Not a bad thing though. Check it out if this sounds interesting. Expand
  78. Jun 1, 2013
    One of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexityOne of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexity and curiosity which left me wanting to continue with the game. However, despite the greatness of the game I can only give it a 9/10. I found at times the amount of enemies was overwhelming and it felt a bit repetitive after 6+ hours of simply walking through the dark shooting enemies constantly. I also felt like the AI (whenever you had somebody accompanying you) were awful at shooting enemies. Despite having partners helping you, the enemies ONLY attack you, and your partners actually kill perhaps 1/10 enemies.

Overall an amazing game and well worth the play-through! I also picked it up for £2.70 with 90% off on Steam this weekend which was a bargain!
  79. Jun 25, 2013
    A huge game. One of the bests I've ever played. A very-well written storyline, the really frightening and unique (light is everything) gameplay makes Alan Wake a must play for everyone who loves horror,action and game with good-stories.

Story: 10
    Gameplay:10
    Graphics: 9
    Sound: 10
  80. Aug 7, 2013
    I admit back when this first came out I was sucked in. Being a writer the idea of a world where a writer's own work appears to take on a life of it's own, however the story is far more complex than that.

Also, I am not one for horror games as usually they have terrible combat and at times aren't that creepy, however this is a game with a good combat system and able to be creepy without using gore. Afterall, darkness is one of the most primal of fears. It's well worth it's price for anyone looking for a deeply involving story and/or want to play a creepy game.
  81. Sep 4, 2013
    Excellent story, gameplay and environment. You need to play this game at least for the story. Soundtrack is top class as well. One of the best games of modern times
  82. Sep 5, 2013
    I have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded gameI have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded game with some great story telling aspects. Expand
  83. Sep 5, 2013
    Alan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 differentAlan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 different difficulty settings. The Pc edition containt the two DLC for free! Buy it, it's really worth it every single cent you spend on it. Expand
  84. Oct 11, 2013
    I am writing for BrutalMoose. To quote him from his stream as of 10/11/13 "The game looks good, and could be scary, but isn't. Maybe it's just because I'm drunk, I don't know... alcohol might be affecting this game for me..."
  85. Feb 9, 2014
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent. The characters are compelling. The graphics/environment is very nice. The story keeps you in doubt all the time. I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes. The bad: The talking animations are really bad...Fortunately they seem to get better as you progress. The
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent.
    The characters are compelling.
    The graphics/environment is very nice.
    The story keeps you in doubt all the time.
    I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes.

The game forces you to go out of your way to collect "the story", its annoying and boring. It shouldnt be so time consuming.
    Gameplay is just ok.
    The story never ultimately explains itself and some people seem to like this, but not me. I hate it, this really is the downfall of the game.

Well worth the
  86. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    I like this game.
    I like the story telling, I like the genuine american horror story feeling.
    I would wish it was less linear.
    Definitely a good game though.
  87. Jan 1, 2014
    I will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready forI will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready for the game to just be over already. The game is an extremely awesome concept, but it could have been executed much, much better Expand
  88. Dec 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a psychological action thriller in a game, the story and direction has something great in it
    10 because the games atmosphere is logical. The very same experience I had was while playing Batman:Arkham City.

From the makers of Max Payne series(2) Remedy Entertainment, there's alot of pressure to put up a great story line but they manage to convince os well. But the game was not at all scary ,easy to finish,repetitive,only some scores of the episode very genuinely interesting.

When we talk about logic-sense in a game we keep in mind games like Indigo Prophecy where everything we do has a good reasoning to it . The game was easily driven on a same concept where the user know whats coming on next.

YOU NEED DLC's to get the best of the game!
  89. Jan 4, 2015
    Never even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly butNever even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly but makes you think a little - Creepy Intense when you really follow the story and immerse yourself in the game. During surround gaming on triple monitors it was flawless and beautiful. I would recommend this game for anyone looking for an unusually different type gameplay and plot. Personally I really enjoyed how the episodes were like a TV series...clever! Expand
  90. Dec 27, 2015
    I do have a few gripes though... One being the character models and stiff animations. The character models look a little dated. I guess from a distance they don't look to bad but once you see them up close you can really notice the lack of detail. The characters seem to move around in the most simplistic ways possible. Also, the lip syncing is some of the worst I have seen in years. It'sI do have a few gripes though... One being the character models and stiff animations. The character models look a little dated. I guess from a distance they don't look to bad but once you see them up close you can really notice the lack of detail. The characters seem to move around in the most simplistic ways possible. Also, the lip syncing is some of the worst I have seen in years. It's like watching a poorly dubbed kung fu movie. The driving mechanics, although short, are poorly done. You never feel like you have full control over the vehicle. Too far to the left or right and you swerve out of control and into a ditch. Expand
  91. Nov 17, 2013
    I don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlightI don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlight to fight off the darkness is a pretty cool concept and the execution comes off pretty nicely. Although I have to admit the game didn't draw me in to play non-stop from start to finish--ultimately starting the game in September and not actually finishing it until November.

So what is it about Alan Wake that makes it so standoffish? Well for starters, the gameplay starts to get repetitiously dull. Some of the forest paths are really long laying ground for more hordes of Taken than one person can deal with before it just becomes mundane. It is kind of broken up with some areas to explore in between, but it wasn't enough. The other aspect which may sound weird is that I never really felt like I took the role as Alan Wake. Instead it felt more like I was just moving the story forward and watching Alan unfold as opposed to being a part of critical decisions. Fortunately the chapters are broken up very nicely into roughly two hour segments with good musical intermissions allowing players whatever amount of time they need before jumping into the next chapter.

Overall, a fantastic game and a must play in my book.
  92. Aug 25, 2012
    Un juego que te atrapa desde el principio por su narrativa y división de episodios como si de una serie de televisión se tratara. Al mismo tiempo una puesta en escena, gracias al sistema de iluminación y luces, que te sumergen dentro la atmosfera que va creando la historia.

Tal vez sus dos puntos más débiles sean el abuso de escenas en las que te has

Tal vez sus dos puntos más débiles sean el abuso de escenas en las que te has de enfrentar con "sombras" y un final que deja una sensación rara, que puede no ser del gusto de todo el mundo.
  93. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    Alan Wake is one of these games that takes you by surprise. I really enjoyed playing it.

The main character is a writer à la Stephen King, going on vacation to solve a writer's block issue, and immediately confronting his inner demons in the most terrifying way, along with the disappearing of its wife. The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem

The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem since the story is solid and the character is a writer). Then the player goes from safe place A to safe place B wandering into darkness and escaping light-sensitive foes.

The game succeeds in capturing the powerlessness of the character, with a constant balance between fight of flight. And rewards exploration in a good way (weapons, ammunition, novel pages, tv serials, etc.)

But what is really good about the game, is that the gameplay and the world makes sense regarding the main character. Burning foes with your light before shooting or evading them is a very nice game mechanic. Setting the horror in a otherwise peaceful environment is very powerful.

Alan Wake is a very good example of an action / adventure game made right, along with a solid character and story. Play it !
  94. Apr 2, 2014
    With a setting seemingly taken out of a book from Stephen King, this game is full of scary stuff.
    ... Nah, really. I couldn't count the amount of times that I physically JUMPED out of my chair. This one has more frights than the latest Resident Evil game.
    Released originally for the Xbox360 (2010), and ported to the PC (2012). Yeah a port. Taking the role of Alan Wake, a writer

Taking the role of Alan Wake, a writer stuck on vacation. Your wife goes missing, and its your mission to find out what happened to her after your concussion.
    Dark forces are at work, and light is your only escape, and method into beating them. Using a torch, you wear away their "shield", and once you've done that, you can shoot them with any regular means (guns...). There is no knife, or melee weapon to fall back on.

Story is the real strongpoint to this whole game. The player wants to learn what happened to the wife, and is sucked into the world with its great writing. Writing? Oh, and you find white paper on the way actually telling you what will happen next. Confused? Yeah, its a bit strange like that.
    There are six episodes in the package. Each a chapter to the story.
    A few of the characters, Alan, Barry (comic relief), the police lady, Odin and Tor, that doctor guy, the freaky guy. There are many in this story, but you'll only remember a handful. Everyone else just gets the nickname "that xxxx guy".

Gameplay is pretty good. Whilst I'd have liked to see slightly tighter controls, it plays very well. Battles are quite exciting and you get a slight choice in weapons (there aren't many). It plays similar to a crossbreed of Resident Evil 4 & Indigo Prophecy. The battles, however are a bit hit and miss, as they seem to be a bit on the "lite" side. Serious gamers will probably be bored with the same enemies by the second or third episode.

Graphics are very good. Whilst textures at times are a little less than desirable (eg, Episode six, when you watch your TV), they help bring the player into the story. I'd say comparable to the first Batman : Arkham game.
    Sound? Great. No complaints at all. Soundtrack fits. Swizzle.

As this was first released on the Xbox360, it may have been released in parts. But towards the middle of the game, there is a feeling of it being slightly rushed. You will keep encountering the same enemies, yet the battles play out no different. You defeat them in the same way.
    The surroundings also feel like you're still in chapter one. Night setting, full of trees... Wood cutting tools... For the length (six chapters, maybe 10-11 hours standard playtime), it feels like you are going around in circles just to watch the story continue.

Pros
    +Great story
    +Good graphics and sound, helps portray the story well
    +EEP! Jumped out of seat a few times
    +Good controls

-Many characters I don't care about
    -Copy and paste enemies and environment models.
    -On, and on, and on (too long in comparison to substance)

Overall rating; 7/10

Last thought: Feels like a spiritual sequel to Resident Evil 4. I wouldn't re-play this title, but if you are a gamer that likes a strong "horror" type story- this game is worth a shot. Might feel a little uh, "cheap" half way through though! ;-)
  95. Jan 1, 2013
    This is 8/10, but because of this problem with the camera problem not centered, I have to give only 6/10, sorry, the developer of "Remedy Entertainment", yes you the guys have create this feature of bad implemented camera not centered, 8/10 - 2 = 6/10. I never see that kind of camera implementation, I don't understand when you testing the game, Is it not disturb you, please centered theThis is 8/10, but because of this problem with the camera problem not centered, I have to give only 6/10, sorry, the developer of "Remedy Entertainment", yes you the guys have create this feature of bad implemented camera not centered, 8/10 - 2 = 6/10. I never see that kind of camera implementation, I don't understand when you testing the game, Is it not disturb you, please centered the camera, like ALL other games... Expand
  96. Oct 31, 2013
    7.5 Actually.
    7.5 Actually.
    I enjoy this game for the story and the graphics. Gameplay is pretty lame, and as others said the off-center-semi-shoulder camera angle can become really noxious, tedious, and frustrating. Besides, it is never constant, and keeps shifting depending on what needs to be shown in the specific place in the game. Trying to complete a jump puzzle with such camera view becomes ridiculous.
    The game-play itself is this: you point your flashlight and shoot. That's it. Some path-finding bugs (which a not many, but present) take away from enjoyment.
    Nonetheless, as i said before, i enjoy this game for the story and graphics (even though buggy in-game auto-tune up optimizer told me my system req's are below minimum requirement, i am running smooth on all maxed up without a hick-up), and it is a good experience which is a blend of cinematic feeling and a quest with shooting elements. Good game.
  97. Feb 19, 2014
    Alan Wake is certainly an enjoyable game and a good horror story, the way the narrative zigzags between normalcy and madness is particularly impressive. The gameplay could stand to be deeper and Alan could learn to hang onto his equipment better between chapters, but these are small niggles overall. Collectibles in this game actually enhance the experience rather than detracting from it,Alan Wake is certainly an enjoyable game and a good horror story, the way the narrative zigzags between normalcy and madness is particularly impressive. The gameplay could stand to be deeper and Alan could learn to hang onto his equipment better between chapters, but these are small niggles overall. Collectibles in this game actually enhance the experience rather than detracting from it, unlike most games, which is a pleasant surprise; but on the other hand product placement and advertisement can get obnoxious. Graphically the game is quite pretty, the lighting effects being particularly well-executed. Unfortunately, the PC port is subpar and can occasionally have problems even on top-tier hardware, so be careful about buying this game if your PC has modest specs. The PC port does boast several useful improvements such as adjustable FOV, however, which is commendable. Expand
  98. Jul 24, 2012
    Before I start this review, I should point out that Alan Wake is actually quite a good console port. For once, a made-for-console game actually feels playable with a PC and seems well-optimised, so bravo Remedy. Anyway, Alan Wake is survival horror game set almost exclusively in a spooky forest. I bought this on a whim during the Steam sale and I can safely say that I liked this game a lotBefore I start this review, I should point out that Alan Wake is actually quite a good console port. For once, a made-for-console game actually feels playable with a PC and seems well-optimised, so bravo Remedy. Anyway, Alan Wake is survival horror game set almost exclusively in a spooky forest. I bought this on a whim during the Steam sale and I can safely say that I liked this game a lot more than I thought I would: the atmosphere is suitably spooky & unnerving, the story is interesting & will keep you engaged up until the end and the game looks fabulous. Now, negatives. The game has a good atmosphere, but does its best to sabotage it; practically broadcasting enemy locations to you and padding out the levels to stretch its length. Also, while the story is mostly good, the execution is uneven; with some weak characters and weird lip-syncing. I know graphics aren't important, but in a cutscene heavy game like this, it does become quite immersion breaking. So to sum up Alan Wake, it's a competently put-together enjoyable nine hours that, despite it's flaws, did enough to keep me interested. Wait for a sale though. Expand

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012