Alan Wake PC

8.0

1. Aug 16, 2017
    The game is inspired by the books of Stephen King, from the legendary Remedy studio (who gave us max payn), Alan Wake will immerse you in a rather gloomy and interesting world filled with riddles, the answers to which generate even more mysteries. For all fans of Stephen King, it's necessary to get acquainted.
  2. Jul 16, 2017
    Alan Wake brings out the horrors lurking in the darkness of Bright Falls in almost every scene, creating an intriguing story strengthened by impeccable pacing.
  3. Jun 24, 2017
    For me it's one of the best games. Alan Wake is a masterpiece from Remedy.

For me it's one of the best games. Alan Wake is a masterpiece from Remedy.

This is a great story. It's scary, she draws, it keeps the tension. The game has a great atmosphere. You feel like running through the misty forests, you feel really caught in a nightmare. The developers clearly wanted to make a horror game, and the game is really scary sometimes, especially at first. Of course, after a couple of hours, you awake to wait for the attack the next enemies, who tumble down on you with demonic screams. The game quickly turns into a shooter. In good atmospheric third-person shooter. You Shine on the enemy from the lamp to knock him protection, and then shoot anything complicated. But the enemies attack in groups, and the skirmish turns into an adrenaline action with evasion from the axe at the last moment. Shooting fun, sometimes even challenging, but the story DLS shootout will tire.

Alan Wake takes place in the first its plot! We have a writer who wrote a novel, but can't remember what it wrote, and now all the horrors of his novel come alive. Plus lost his wife, and we have to find her. The plot is very strong, mystical, in the spirit of Stephen King. Gameplay can be divided into night and day. In the afternoon we go on locations, communicate with people, find out information. And night horror movies start, and we make our way through enemies to get to cliffhanger - a plot turn that ends each Chapter of this game. Yes, the game is divided into chapters, but it can be called a series, at the beginning of each of which is waiting for us, the phrase "Previously on Alan Wake". Each burst lasts from 40 minutes to an hour, it really feels like an episode of the series. At the end of the series during the credits we are waiting for the musical composition. Every time's a new track, and every time you listen to it until the end. The music in this game is another main character. Why should only the time with the scene where you shoot enemies to the wonderful Children of the Elder God! I immediately downloaded the soundtrack of this game to his phone and listen to it still, it as this game is immortal, and can not get bored!

Alan Wake is a good idea, when in the course of progress at the location we meet leaves the written, novel. They describe what it was, but the main thing is what will happen. You can go somewhere, to think, that there is salvation, but the road to this place will read this list and know that there will not be anything good. In these sheets also reveal some plot details. To find them all you will have to complete the game on the last difficulty.

The game is almost perfect. It still looks good in it, great story, wonderful music, dynamic gameplay, but there is always but. There are bosses , they are few and they are not interesting, especially the latter. The game simply has no ending. She had absolutely no end. What happened there, and what's next we have a year waiting for the sequel, but it is not. There are DLS that are not mandatory, but they want to go, if you're a fan. Have American Nightmare, but if you liked Alan Wake is the plot, the suspense, do not pass it, there is only action.

Alan Wake is one of the best games Remedy, and one of the best at all. The game that catches its plot, characters, amusing gameplay, and keeps in suspense suspense. You yourself know all this:) I Hope to one day Remedy will do the sequel, Alan Wake deserves it.
  4. May 20, 2017
    It's a shame Alan Wake is longer available for retail or online purchase, due to "expiring music licenses" (Thanks capitalism!) It's easily in the same class as any other Remedy title, and honestly, it's probably in a class above. What would be an inferior third-person shooter to their previous series, the Max Payne games, is instead a thrilling tale of cinematic suspense and characterIt's a shame Alan Wake is longer available for retail or online purchase, due to "expiring music licenses" (Thanks capitalism!) It's easily in the same class as any other Remedy title, and honestly, it's probably in a class above. What would be an inferior third-person shooter to their previous series, the Max Payne games, is instead a thrilling tale of cinematic suspense and character development. I am sorry I never looked into the series before now. It features great pacing, quality voice acting, passably good driving sections, and if nothing else, really satisfyingly loud gun sounds.The facial animations haven't aged well these past years, but that's hardly a major shortcoming.

You take the role of the titular character, a crime fiction writer from NYC with possibly the worst case of writer's block on record. Wake has come to Bright Falls, Washington with his photographer wife Alice on vacation, in an attempt to clear his head, but within hours finds his wife missing, his car wrecked, the cabin he was to stay in vanished without a trace and a week's time gone by with no memory of such to speak of. What's worse, a malign force now stalks him through the night, wielding the shadows themselves as its weapon.

The light is your friend in Alan Wake, and there is precious little of it to go around. As in Left 4 Dead and many other games, light sources often mark your path, and many of them not only function as checkpoints but quickly replenish your otherwise painfully slow to regenerate health. Your enemies are shielded by darkness itself, and only your trusty flashlight can strip their defense before you go for the kill, using the sorts of guns you'd find lying around a rural community: police revolvers, hunting shotguns and rifles. Also at your disposal are two kinds of flares and flashbangs, with one kind of flare being fired from a flare gun and acting in essence as a grenade launcher.

Mechanically, the game is fairly formulaic: You move from checkpoint to checkpoint, blasting bad guys and pushing the occasional switch or button to open a door or something that might as well be a door. But your enemies are dangerous enough, and the characters believable enough, that you forget you are going through the motions of an oughts-era console shooter- and yes, I know it orignally released in 2010. The episodic format of the game greatly helps with the pacing, and it has some really great twists, especially in the bonus episodes: however you think the plot might turn out when you begin, it will likely defy your expectations. It also ends up being a lot harder then it initially feels, even on the easiest difficulty you will have a lot of near misses and scrapes, and this I recommend for a first play through- Alan Wake actually suffers from some balancing problems and it's a little to easy to get completely overwhelmed in the blink of an eye and ruthlessly beat to death. The dodge move is essentially broken, largely working only when it wants to, and your sprint duration is extremely limited, ensuring that you will rarely have the opportunity to avoid a fight. On the other hand, you are often given more supplies then you think you need- this is because you actually need all of it, so don't be afraid to use a flashbang or flare whenever you are cornered, as you are likely to find more.

If you did not have the good fortune to get this game before it was pulled from the Steam store, I highly encourage you to dig up a used Xbox 360 copy or secondhand key if you can find one, as it is definitely worth your time.
  5. Apr 8, 2017
    Truly one of my greatest video games experience, incredible story and horror effects, I can easily say it was one of the top 5 best single players of all time, thank you Remedy for this peace of art, it was an unforgettable experience, exactly as the first Max Pain was for the video game industry.
  6. Jan 29, 2017
    One of the best games I've ever played, this game It's truly a must have for any PC Gamer, i bought it in the steam summer sales and I enjoyed so much this game, now I'ts your turn to enjoy It.
  7. Oct 29, 2016
    Pretty great psychological thriller with suprbly done atmosphere. Runs decently on PC aswell, but not without problems. Like you cant disable AA from in game, if you force it off then grass starts looking weird and overall for me it was pretty hard getting even over 40 fps on not the highest settings. Visualy game can look stunning, which is being helped by impressive lighting and fogPretty great psychological thriller with suprbly done atmosphere. Runs decently on PC aswell, but not without problems. Like you cant disable AA from in game, if you force it off then grass starts looking weird and overall for me it was pretty hard getting even over 40 fps on not the highest settings. Visualy game can look stunning, which is being helped by impressive lighting and fog effects, still havent seen a game that does it better to create an eerie atmoshpere. Textures tho look pretty weak, like out from a game that was a Xbox 360 launch title not a 2010 game, which goes to say Remedy nor the porting developer didnt do their best when it comes to PC version. Character models however look nice and much better in game than in the cut scenes which also lack lip syncing finesse. Alan's animations are very wonky and floaty which i didnt like. Gameplay where you must use a flashlight in combo with a gun works really well and feels precise.

Story wise game does great screwing around with your and Alan's mind trying to understand what the hell is going and whats what. Where it got disappointing was the ending and the DLC's that were released to fix it didnt do that great of a job.

If youre looking for a horror agme Alan Wake will disappoint you. I say that becuz i mostly see people calling it a horror game. ITS NOT ! This game is all about the atmosphere and psychological aspects of the story. If you like that sorta stuff youll enjoy it, I certainly did.
  8. Sep 19, 2016
    This is one of my favourite games.Remedy has done a fantastic job .The story may be confusing at times and the ending may not be the clear to all but the game play and environment is flawless.Especially liked the use of dense fog.It gave the game a chilling environment.
  9. May 29, 2016
    Alan Wake is a linear third-person shooter whose atmosphere and story attempt to redeem the frankly clunky combat. The game proceeds in six episodes (with two additional DLC episodes that are now included for free). Worth a purchase on sale if you enjoy a combat-driven interactive movie, but there's not much replayability (unless you're a collectibles and achievements fanatic).

Alan's

Alan's wife, Alice, gets “taken” by a mysterious “dark presence.” The entire game is spent trying to release her from its power. Alan is frequently lost, operating on whim, and not really sure of how to proceed. A writer himself, he begins researching old legends of Cauldron Lake and the power that words written there seem to possess. This is really the best part of the game, as the labyrinth of creation and created and how to balance what is desired with what is needed leads Alan down an increasingly dark path (pun intended). As he discovers, he is not alone in his knowledge of the lake's mysterious power, nor the first to suffer from it. The supporting cast are varied and colorful characters, several of whom have their own history with Cauldron Lake.

The atmosphere is suitably dark and fog-swept at times. Most of the game happens at night, so turn down your room lights and crank the audio to catch the ambiance (the sound design is superb). The setting is a unique one: the woods and small town atmosphere of the Pacific Northwest. The ambiance is captured nicely, and the woods have thick foliage and dark shadows. Old logging and mining gear abounds, providing just the right touch of historical nostalgia and rusty menace. The buildings and architecture are a mix of rustic, country-style structures (built sturdy to withstand the harsh winters) other more attractive, modern structures designed to impress tourists (Cauldron Lake Lodge). The superb music score is the icing on the atmospheric cake: moody but melodic, it catches the feeling of solitude at night-time haunted by the supernatural.

A supernatural that is made perhaps more terrifying by the clunky combat. Shine a light at enemies to burn away the darkness, then shoot them with whatever weapon you have to hand. It works well enough, but feels loose and sloppy. The weapons are few, but do feel different: revolver, shotgun (regular and pump-action), flare gun, hunting rifle, flares, and flash-bangs. That's it. They're not all available at the same time, and at the beginning of each episode, Alan only has a flashlight and a revolver. So, no matter how good you were with saving up your gear, thinking there might be a big battle coming up, once the episode ends, you'll lose it all anyway. The enemies offer little variety. You've got the standard hatchet-throwing “taken”, the big “taken”, the fast “taken”, and random flocks of crows that fly out of the sky and attack Alan. Sometimes random objects (like cars, tires, dumpsters) will become possessed and attack Alan. With so many creatures that dwell in the woods of the Pacific Northwest, I expected there might be a boss fight with a bear or a pack of coyotes, but no.

None of these drawbacks would matter if the total experience offered by Alan Wake were more than the sum of its parts. Unfortunately, it isn't. I enjoy it because when I first played it years ago I had no idea that video games could handle narrative in this fashion. I'll always have a nostalgic appreciation for it and it just kills me to provide a mixed recommendation. But if you want more than story and atmosphere, look elsewhere, because you'll be sorely disappointed by everything else. If story and atmosphere suffice, though, get Alan Wake right away.
  10. May 23, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. if u looking for a HORROR SURVIVAL game then ALAN WAKE is perfect. With Interesting story, stunning graphics ,thrilling situations , u can bring perfect awesomeness. JUST GO FOR IT Expand
  11. Feb 21, 2016
    Excellent story and World Design. Amazing Atmosphere without cheap scares. Combat could be improved.

Graphics: 9
    Game play : 7
    Combat: 7
    World Design: 10
    Content: 7
    Immersion: 10
    Story: 10
  12. Jan 22, 2016
    The psychological-Thriller proposal is accomplished with amazing ambiance, catchy and mysterious history line, and the really good play with the "dark-light" theme; The Concept art is really good, using very well the mystery that a lake provides.The soundtrack is AMAZING - also giving the right mood to the game when it is necessary. The characters are amazingly charismatics, funny andThe psychological-Thriller proposal is accomplished with amazing ambiance, catchy and mysterious history line, and the really good play with the "dark-light" theme; The Concept art is really good, using very well the mystery that a lake provides.The soundtrack is AMAZING - also giving the right mood to the game when it is necessary. The characters are amazingly charismatics, funny and characteristics (each one is a representation of a completely different personality). The dubbing voices are really good, though the sync is really lazy.

Although the cinematographic technical features, the game lacks in gameplay - you can only change guns, shoot, focus the flashlight, run, dodge, pick items and jump. Another problem is the linearity of the game- you have basically no puzzles, and only one way to follow the path. The AI is almost null (kill kill mode) and the gameplay difficulty is easy to normal.

The GAME itself in therms of gameplay is poor, but the good plot, cinematographic features, ambiance and the soundtrack makes this a game you must, at least, try.
  13. Jan 1, 2016
    Overall I really did enjoy the game and honestly I believe it is worth picking up.

The story of the game is something you would expect from King or Coontz. You are a writer. A writer with a writers block - sounds familiar? You go on holiday with your wife and something starts happening. Strange darkness attacks you and you start living out a story written by you that you don't remember writing. Oh - and there is some lake that the native americans living in the area called gate to hell or something like that. At this point I really thought I'm going to despise the story. But oddly enough after a rough start I really did like it and felt it wasn't all that bad.

The strong part for the game are the visuals which are very nicely done. The scenery is pretty nice, and the lighting effects which are pretty important part of the story are very well made as well. Locations at the beginning tend to be bland - forest, forest and nothing interesting. But later on they do change and are quite nicely designed.

The main part of the game is trying to find your wife and beat the darkness. You do this by following the story and fighting people possessed by the darkness. You kill them by shining your flash light on them long enough so they become vulnerable at which point you can safely unload your gun and finally kill them. And you pretty much do that all through the game with just a couple of guns - revolver, shotgun, hunting rifle and assorted helpers like flares or flash grenades. It does get repetitive after a while but not to a point that you hate the whole fighting. And I must admit that I did got scared once or twice - though mostly the game is not really that scary. But has a very consistent atmosphere and you generally feel quite nice when the sun rises.

There are also a couple of elements involving driving a car - but these could have been surely skipped as they're pretty dreadful.

Voice acting and animation is of very nice quality so watching cut scenes is quite pleasant.

Overall after a week beginning the game provides good fun up till the very last part which seems a bit dull and you have to push through it. Luckily it's not long enough too leave a bad impression on the game. I had fun. I really enjoyed it. If you like story driven action games along the lines of resident evil or alone in the dark there is little fear you will not like this game.
  14. Dec 27, 2015
    I do have a few gripes though... One being the character models and stiff animations. The character models look a little dated. I guess from a distance they don't look to bad but once you see them up close you can really notice the lack of detail. The characters seem to move around in the most simplistic ways possible. Also, the lip syncing is some of the worst I have seen in years. It'sI do have a few gripes though... One being the character models and stiff animations. The character models look a little dated. I guess from a distance they don't look to bad but once you see them up close you can really notice the lack of detail. The characters seem to move around in the most simplistic ways possible. Also, the lip syncing is some of the worst I have seen in years. It's like watching a poorly dubbed kung fu movie. The driving mechanics, although short, are poorly done. You never feel like you have full control over the vehicle. Too far to the left or right and you swerve out of control and into a ditch. Expand
  15. Dec 24, 2015
    It's not a bad game but very repetitive, i thought it was going to be like Silent Hill but it has no puzzles and too many shoots, too much arcade and not scary and i found a not interesting story
    Pros: light effects and graphics + smooth controls
    Cons: repetitive + no puzzles + you get tired very soon playing it + not scary + odd story
  16. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    Alan Wake is one of these games that takes you by surprise. I really enjoyed playing it.

The main character is a writer à la Stephen King, going on vacation to solve a writer's block issue, and immediately confronting his inner demons in the most terrifying way, along with the disappearing of its wife. The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem

The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem since the story is solid and the character is a writer). Then the player goes from safe place A to safe place B wandering into darkness and escaping light-sensitive foes.

The game succeeds in capturing the powerlessness of the character, with a constant balance between fight of flight. And rewards exploration in a good way (weapons, ammunition, novel pages, tv serials, etc.)

But what is really good about the game, is that the gameplay and the world makes sense regarding the main character. Burning foes with your light before shooting or evading them is a very nice game mechanic. Setting the horror in a otherwise peaceful environment is very powerful.

Alan Wake is a very good example of an action / adventure game made right, along with a solid character and story. Play it !
  17. Dec 22, 2015
    This is one of the best story games I've ever played. I expected it to be just a typical horror game, but then I understood that this game has way more potential. I really enjoyed playing it, altough killing the Taken was kinda boring at the end but Remedy managed to spice it up. It also has a great soundtrack, I love it! And even for 2015, the graphics is just awesome! My rating is 9 out of 10.
  18. Dec 17, 2015
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  19. Dec 14, 2015
    what a waste of money. you run with a lighter and shot ghosts. overrated game nothing for me but good for lil kids and the american nightmare is the same
  20. Nov 25, 2015
    I’ve got to respect Remedy’s willingness to break the mold with Alan Wake, an original and compelling action-thriller. Everything about the game is fresh and innovative, from the gameplay, which revolves around using light to fight off the creatures of the dark that stalk the creepy town of Bright Falls, to the episodic presentation that pays homage to classic TV shows. The story andI’ve got to respect Remedy’s willingness to break the mold with Alan Wake, an original and compelling action-thriller. Everything about the game is fresh and innovative, from the gameplay, which revolves around using light to fight off the creatures of the dark that stalk the creepy town of Bright Falls, to the episodic presentation that pays homage to classic TV shows. The story and writing really shine here, and the mystery and intrigue of the plot is mirrored in the spooky environments and enemies. You are quickly introduced to the concept of using light to soften up enemies before taking them out with firearms, and the gameplay gets progressively deeper as these mechanics are explored more fully. The light-based gameplay is complemented by some great lighting effects which add to an already richly detailed environment. The game does drag somewhat at times, and there are driving segments toward the end which I never cared for much, but Alan Wake remains an original game with a great atmosphere. Expand
  21. Nov 24, 2015
    Bring Light Into The Story Of Bright Falls

Overall: 70% (83.5/120)

Atmosphere: 7.8/10

Variety in Items: 6.9/10

Cost-Benefit Ratio: 1/4
    System Requirements: 1/1
  22. Nov 9, 2015
    Stylish and tries to be something different. Not the tightest action, but unique and interesting enough to stay compelling. It's definitely a labour of love on part of the developers and has a lot of great moments here and there. Fans of Max Payne 1 and 2 will enjoy some in-jokes and stylistic touches.

It looks like a horror game, but it's much more of a shooter with a bit of extra atmosphere. If you're looking for scares, you'll be disappointed, but it does have a creepy feel to it that sets it apart.
  23. Nov 2, 2015
    Cuenta con una historia muy original. Es de los mejores juegos del genero thriller psicológico que existen. Un juego lleno de misterios, entretenido y muy variado. Ponte en los pies del escritor Alan Wake y sumérgete en esta aventura que no te dejara defraudado.
  24. Oct 23, 2015
    Este juego a mi me ha enamorado por la historia, por el estilo, por la forma de contar todo... Es un juego el cual no puedes explicar el porqué ni el como de porque esta sucediendo, y esa fase de no poder explicarlo, es lo que te hace seguir con el juego, hasta que llega el momento, en el que puedes explicar todo... O eso crees..
  25. Sep 13, 2015
    Concept and story were fine. Console roots, accepted. Graphics just about okay.

But in this day and age I expect visuals that work. Alan has inertia like from some games over ten years old. Character models too wooden for a current/recent title (Bioshock Infinite had this problem too). And most annoyingly lyp sync seems to be something the developers decided was not even a "nice to have".
  26. Sep 12, 2015
    First off, the controls are easy to get used to and the PC port is great, no performance issues whatsoever. However the game is a little predictable after a while and for the most part you will be trudging through the same thing over and over again only hoping that the next part of the story will unravel. Every time it does get to an important plot point however, it'll keep you on the edgeFirst off, the controls are easy to get used to and the PC port is great, no performance issues whatsoever. However the game is a little predictable after a while and for the most part you will be trudging through the same thing over and over again only hoping that the next part of the story will unravel. Every time it does get to an important plot point however, it'll keep you on the edge of your seat and you'll be itching to find out what happens next. Expand
  27. Sep 10, 2015
    I admit back when this first came out I was sucked in. Being a writer the idea of a world where a writer's own work appears to take on a life of it's own, however the story is far more complex than that.
  28. Jul 26, 2015
    Como película pinta bien , pero la verdad que como juego posee una jugabilidad que no es muy buena , por momentos un tanto repetitivo. Los gráficos están bien y la banda sonora también , en cuanto a la diversión, me termino aburriendo. Dale una oportunidad si lo consigues gratis.
  29. Jun 28, 2015
    Good: Story, Setting, Atmosphere/Mood, Art Direction
    Mixed: Shooting
    Bad: Very monotonous after some time, Linear

This game is a mixed bag. After some time becomes very boring and monotonous.
  30. Jun 24, 2015
    A FANTASTIC STORYTELLING THRILLER/HORROR GAME!

It is truly a fantastic game, kinda reminds me of Stephen King's books about Thriller genre. But I was put of to the end of the game!

But on the whole it is a good game, fantastic music, and very good environmental quality!
  31. Jun 20, 2015
    A awesome interesting suck you in story, with gorgeous darkness. Alan Wakes gameplay is so smooth and addicting and one the best well written story's I have ever played, its beautiful landscapes and art keep you looking and wanting more and they deliver pretty well. I love this game!

Alan wake is a Unique Story game not a RPG, If you want a great story this is a great game.
  32. Jun 17, 2015
    atmosphere, story telling, music, story, narrative; everything is really good about this game. except for, unfortunately, game play. it gets boring after some time and all the good aspects of this game cannot cover for a boring game play. and i think game play is what matters most in a PC game.
  33. Jun 15, 2015
    This is an example of someone who has a decent story idea and then implements it so poorly with game design.

Horrible camera, very annoying combat, graphics don't utilize any modern graphics enhancements (kind of caps out at mediocre 1080p-ish), and poor character control too. The atmosphere is good and the story is decent, but it definitely isn't worth the supreme annoyances from so

The atmosphere is good and the story is decent, but it definitely isn't worth the supreme annoyances from so many of the other parts of the game.
  34. Feb 15, 2015
    From an experienced gamer...

From an experienced gamer...

This game wasn't worth the small 7 hours that I spent on it. In summary, the story shows great promise but is ultimately a let-down at the end, the combat is pretty horrible, and the graphics just aren't quite there. Please do yourself a favor, if you're not really into the suspense-thriller genre, and really like your combat to be interesting, please give this game a pass. You really aren't missing anything. This is at its core, a short, 100% linear game, with a low amount of content. The developers of this game used long S-shaped paths with lots of waves of enemies to bring up the play time, and the combat just isn't enjoyable.

Spoilers past this point.

Firstly if you don't have a lot of patience, I would recommend enabling cheat codes by setting "-developermenu" in launch options in steam. This will allow you to refill your ammo when you run out.

UI: The highly offset camera angle is a constant nuisance. You will literally zig-zag through this entire game with W-A and W-D combinations the entire time. Walking in a straight line is extremely difficult. The slow-motion enemy deaths are way overused, and there's an irritating, lengthy camera sweep every time an enemy approaches from behind during which you can't do anything but watch it run/fly towards you and get the first hit. The funniest thing is that they combined the "sprint" key with the "dodge" key, so literally every single time you want to start sprinting, you will first perform a "front dodge" maneuver, so it will look like Alan is going to fall over and then all of a sudden he's running at full blast. Lazy and comical. Vehicle physics are barely usable. All of the cars basically have bald tires and 500 horsepower because they're so tail-happy it's ridiculous.

Combat: It is actually possible to run out of ammo and get stuck at certain points in the game. Your only way of dispatching enemies is with guns, and there's no option to run past them in 90% of zones. The combat in this game is boring, there is no avoiding it. Right-click on an enemy with your flashlight to drop their shields, then use a small handful of weapons (you literally only get like 3 guns the whole game) to take down their health. Rinse, wash, repeat. Don't get me wrong, the combat is OK in small doses. The problem is that you'll find yourself fighting past wave after wave after wave just to get to the next Dan Brown-style mini cliffhanger at the end of each episode.

Story: Alan Wake does not end with a resolution to the storyline, which is a shame, because the story in this game was well thought out and is quite good at its core. Instead of trying to figure out an ending that ties everything together and makes everyone happy, it half-resolves a couple things and asks a few more questions. This is SO LAZY, and a HUGE pet peeve of mine. You spend the whole game fighting all this garbage just so the dude can get his wife back, and then, it doesn't happen. Many of the elements in this game are borrowed.

Graphics: Textures and effects range from incredibly detailed to cheesy and overused. The characters' faces are absolutely terrible for a 2011 game. Misshapen, not following the dialogue at all. None of the characters ever change clothes for the entire game. There's no visual or soft barrier for the environments, so once in a while, you'll jump down a small cliff and just die. Finally, there's this annoying blur effect that is used so often that it actually prevents you from properly seeing the graphics they did actually do right, things like smoke and lighting.

Conclusion: 5/10 Good effort, but would not recommend.
  35. Jan 17, 2015
    Darkness can be a frightening thing. It was certainly a factor for my childhood; anything beyond the crisp reaches of light was out of bounds, and I’d do everything in my power to stay in. Anything could be lurking in those shadows. What if there was only perpetual night, and there really were dark creatures out there? In the town of Bright Falls, that’s exactly what happens.

Alan Wake

Alan Wake is a psychological thriller which draws the majority of its inspiration from darkness, and what happens when those with an active imagination are thrust into it.

The titular character - a famous horror writer – escapes with his wife to Bright Falls for a holiday, and to help write his next novel. Things turn south when his wife goes missing, and he is haunted by an evil supernatural presence. It goes from bad to worse when he then realises that he is now the protagonist of a horror novel he cannot remember writing.

My impressions after roughly halfway through the game were not positive. I had a massive break from the game, because when I left it, it just wasn’t engaging enough to return to. It felt like the creators got together in the back corner of a cinema lobby: “Hey, how many cliché horror references do you think we can get thrown into to one game?”

The swarms of crows, the axe through the door (here’s Johnny!), and the plot twists (was it all his imagination?) were all just collected from other sources, mainly Stephen King. Which they certainly don’t deny; in the very first monologue, his name is mentioned, and it isn’t the only time.

The gameplay mechanics, although initially fresh, began to feel repetitive as you run through the dark woods from generator to generator, hoping to step under that pool of light before the “Taken” reached you. Shining your torch on these Taken until they’re rendered vulnerable and shooting them is the only way to take them down. Flares and flashbangs were fun to get out of that sticky situation, too.

Anyway, this was before I left the game for a year. My recent impulsion to finish all those incomplete games brought me back, and I’m glad it did. The plot, although a little complicated and brandished with a few pot holes, did turn in the right direction. The challenges in the game did gradually increase (dang haunted bulldozers), and the game wasn’t afraid to have a little fun on the way, most notably when defending a music stage on an old farm, blasting the Taken while the rock plays on.

While the graphics weren’t pushing the boundaries when the game was released, the visual direction was excellent. Stalking through darkness only to have an old trawler boat land metres in front out of nowhere is hard to see coming.

It wasn’t Game of the Year material, but it was fun to escape into the Darkness.
  36. Jan 4, 2015
    Never even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly butNever even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly but makes you think a little - Creepy Intense when you really follow the story and immerse yourself in the game. During surround gaming on triple monitors it was flawless and beautiful. I would recommend this game for anyone looking for an unusually different type gameplay and plot. Personally I really enjoyed how the episodes were like a TV series...clever! Expand
  37. Dec 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a psychological action thriller in a game, the story and direction has something great in it
    10 because the games atmosphere is logical. The very same experience I had was while playing Batman:Arkham City.

From the makers of Max Payne series(2) Remedy Entertainment, there's alot of pressure to put up a great story line but they manage to convince os well. But the game was not at all scary ,easy to finish,repetitive,only some scores of the episode very genuinely interesting.

When we talk about logic-sense in a game we keep in mind games like Indigo Prophecy where everything we do has a good reasoning to it . The game was easily driven on a same concept where the user know whats coming on next.

YOU NEED DLC's to get the best of the game!
  38. Dec 23, 2014
    I enjoyed the game above all thanks to its story, horror atmosphere and very good playability, comfortable controls and pretty good graphics. Episodes could be shorter and there could be more of them. Saving of the game was not balanced, but it worked. The game is really treasure in thrilling story narration. I recommend to every person, who likes horrors and action.
  39. Oct 7, 2014
    Very interesting and memorable piece. I love the setting, Bright Falls is truly one of the most beautiful locations I have visited in a video game, seriously, I want to live there! I enjoyed the mystery, the overall book/writer concept, finding manuscript pages and reading your own story, music was fantastic, not just the instrumentals, but also used songs in radio broadcasts as they addedVery interesting and memorable piece. I love the setting, Bright Falls is truly one of the most beautiful locations I have visited in a video game, seriously, I want to live there! I enjoyed the mystery, the overall book/writer concept, finding manuscript pages and reading your own story, music was fantastic, not just the instrumentals, but also used songs in radio broadcasts as they added additional flavour and ended each episode perfectly. I can feel the Twin Peaks influence and that's always a good thing as that is by far my favourite series of all time. Overall I can say I loved this game in it's concept, but unfortunately, I had one huge problem with it. The core mechanic of the gameplay is basically a regular third person shooter. Yes, it's at least interesting that it's not normal shooting, but rather illuminating darkness with light, but it's still basically shooting all over, and as there is no save/load you often repeat sections shooting and shooting and shooting all those enemies again and again, it's so boring, so repetitive, so annoying. It's a pity that all the beauty this game has to offer is being held back by all this tedious shooting. I still loved it, because I simply focused on the story and the atmosphere and overlooked the boring combat, but it was annoying nevertheless, I hope that if there is ever a sequel, or whatever Remedy creates as their next game, that they will use their indisputable talent in better ways, less shooting and more of the good stuff, atmosphere, exploration, writing, adventure. I know Remedy comes from Max Payne and that was the alpha & omega of shooting, but that was cool 15 years ago, shooting is boring, it's time to move on, Remedy. 8/10 Expand
  40. Sep 24, 2014
    Story and climate is fantastic. No game was so interesting for me like this one. And the city ,,Bright Falls" is impressing. Beautifull place and it's have a good write history. And characters we meet aren't bored.
  41. Jul 17, 2014
    A very linear game with predictable gameplay. It might as well be a movie since the story and atmosphere are the only things worth noting amongst the many scripted events. As far as gameplay goes, you know something big is about to happen whenever you get a new piece of equipment or find a resupply cache.
  42. Jun 29, 2014
    General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant.General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant. Great Twin Peaks/David Lynch atmosphere with psychological horror that literally chilled my spine. As a writer this game is ultimately appealing and greatly appreciated. While there is little reason to replay other than to relive the story (which I for one will do in about a year or so) there are collectibles and achievements galore here. Remedy did a great job with the game but a sequel would be difficult though not implausible I would love for this to have a real follow up (American Nightmare is more like a DLC) but only if the quality of the narrative can be maintained.

TL;DNR: 9: A great psychological horror/survival game with a very strong narrative and unique game play. For those who enjoy and value strong stories within their games and enjoy things by David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...) then this is a must play.

Technology/engine: 8: Runs very smoothly and is well optimized for PC.

AI: 7: The AI is well developed but a bit predictable.

Graphics: 7: The graphics a decent although texture qualities are mix and the character models are dated. The set pieces, however, are great - heavily detailed, great art style, and creates a depth of immersion and atmosphere that many games seem to ignore.

Sound: 10: The sound in this game is very well developed with lots of depth and variability in ambient sound and combat sounds are spot on.

Soundtrack: 9: Great soundtrack with well chosen episodic theme songs at the end of each of its 6 episodes and great music throughout that fits the action and the intensity of the moment and really adds to the games pacing as well as atmosphere.

Voice acting: 8: Most of the voice acting is well done and convincing although there are moments where it fades into the acceptable range. Never the less, its minor acting issues do not really detract from its story nor its immersion.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: N/A

Game play systems: 9: The game play in Alan Wake is well developed and fun with a good mix of occasional splashes of reward exploration (at times the exploration for hidden caches of resources may not be a good choice and the intensity of that decision comes through very well), game relevant puzzles of sorts (more like just dangerous tasks really), wonderful use of light as a weapon, and all around just a fun game.

Controls: 10: This is a PC port done right. The controls are excellent and can be rebound to any key. The controls are simple and clean and are quickly picked up.

Story: 10: Very well written and very well executed. A David Lynch style story that really pulls you in and makes you care about Bright Falls and its inhabitants as well as the Alan and his buddy Barry. If you like David Lynch's work you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Multiplayer: N/A
  43. Jun 27, 2014
    ...There's a long journey through the night back into the light...

...There's a long journey through the night back into the light...

Pretty much this quote describes the story of Alan Wake as well as the main gameplay idea. Yes, the mystical storyline is what makes this game stand out from many others. Of course it's not the only advantage but is what makes you to lead through the repetitive gameplay to the end. No doubt, after finish of the story you will end up with a feeling of deja vu. The developers were definitely greatly inspired by mystical fictions and movies of past years, like Stephen King, Twin Peaks or even Twilight Zone. The result is a dramatic thriller flavored with mysticism.

But as I said, the story is not the only good thing here. Remedy did a great job on recreating horror atmosphere. The major game time takes place in the night forest where your only weapon is a light and you have to keep off creatures of darkness. The creepy sounds in surrounding darkness and limited ammunition increases the level of suspense which makes you run to a savior town lights. You'll not want come back to the forest again...

I highly recommend this game to those who like mystic and horror and as an example of a brilliant cinematographic game inspired by many aspects of horror literature.
  44. Jun 25, 2014
    I have mixed feelings about this one. The story line is quite good, well above average, and the voice acting is good. But the gameplay is VERY frustrating and repetitive—first chapter of the game and you have seen it all.

This game is all about getting from A to B and from B to C (repeat ad nauseam) in a linear path. You have to reach checkpoints in order to save, so you will have to repeat over and over again the sections you hate the most, video scenes included—and, oh, you will hate them. Honestly, I was so tempted to abandon the game several times.

You are encouraged to explore everything (for weapons, story and the unbelievable 100 useless thermos) but the reward is not up to the waste of time and literally infinite enemies that will assault you.

Bottom line: the story is good. If you like mystery books or Stephen King then, absolutely, give it a go, you will not find anything like this. Otherwise use with caution. Perhaps wait for a good sale? I could recommend it to some people but, honestly, I doubt I would have played it had I known better.
  45. May 20, 2014
    Alan Wake is definitely a weird game, but a weird game that is worth to be played. The story and the writing makes the game reach for gold, but it also holds it back. The story is not very clear, and it ends up not being very clear after you finish the game, it poses a lot more questions than it cares to answer - maybe shooting for a yet unannounced sequel or maybe an extended universe (IAlan Wake is definitely a weird game, but a weird game that is worth to be played. The story and the writing makes the game reach for gold, but it also holds it back. The story is not very clear, and it ends up not being very clear after you finish the game, it poses a lot more questions than it cares to answer - maybe shooting for a yet unannounced sequel or maybe an extended universe (I can see some potential in it). There are also some annoyances with the camera angles and I found that, even if the game is 6 chapters long (extending about 2 hours each), the gameplay became a bit repetitive/boring at the end - at least for my liking. Also, I played on normal difficulty but it seemed by the end of the game I found myself overstocked with ammo and flares, which made it very simple to progress through the combat scenarios (which were definately predictable by the later half of the game), even if the game emptied it all out from me following certain cutscenes.

But as I said ,this is a game worth checking out, the music is fantastic, the acting is top notch (mostly), and the graphics are amazing (those lighting and volumetric effects are unreal). The story is a bit of everything, there are some Lovecraftian elements here and there, but its mostly Stephen King that comes to mind (the protagonist being a would be colleague of his). There is some humor to lighten the mood between episodes as well.

The few detractors should not prevent you from giving this game a try; definitely a welcome guest on every gamer's collection.
  46. May 16, 2014
    This game is buggered to hell. The voice acting is awful, it is way too hard, the learning curve is steep, the gunplay is HORRENDOUS. And bad hit detection.
  47. May 6, 2014
    Gameplay is extremely repetitious and not a lot of fun in itself. The enemy's can provide a few scares early on in the game, but you soon find yourself attacked by the hundredth fishman/lumberjack zombie and the effect is lost. There are only a handful of different enemies and very few unique environments the player can interact with, which reduces the gameplay into a pretty tedious grind.Gameplay is extremely repetitious and not a lot of fun in itself. The enemy's can provide a few scares early on in the game, but you soon find yourself attacked by the hundredth fishman/lumberjack zombie and the effect is lost. There are only a handful of different enemies and very few unique environments the player can interact with, which reduces the gameplay into a pretty tedious grind.
    A unique part of the gameplay is shining a torch (flashlight) on enemy prior to being able to damage them. However, you are rarely attacked by large numbers and are almost always provided with enough ammo and flares to easily keep out of trouble. Both player and enemies move slowly, and most combat takes place in an open environment, so backing away from enemies is an effective but boring tactic.

The story is reasonably interesting, but it evolves slowly and is so "cheesy" it is hard to take seriously. All the characters in the game are extremely unlikable, and seem like they were designed by a child. This reduces motivation to progress through the game, as the only real reward for the gameplay is plot progression.

Graphics and sound are generally impressive, but viewpoint is frustrating and not really suited for mouse control. The character controls are quite clumsy, and the dodging mechanic isn't really very useful (avoiding enemies is far more effective).
  48. May 1, 2014
    If you like your Stephen King, you will like the story. Graphics and sound design are superb. However, the game fails in terms of gameplay. Shine a light and shoot. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. There is almost no enemy variety and no real sense of progression. After the first few Chapters, the only thing that kept me going was the story.
  49. Apr 29, 2014
    For god's sake! this is the best and most moving storyline in the game i've played EVER!
    simply beutiful graphics and the gameplay that perfectly suits the rest.

Hihgly reccomend
  50. Apr 24, 2014
    Pros
    - Good main character, great narration, level design, graphics (PC),
    Cons - Repetitive enemy attacks, poltergeists are really annoying, character animation is bad but good in a creepy way. Conclusion - This is a unique game with great level design even though there are constantly moments involving stuff blocking your path and making you find another way around. I liked the small
    Pros
    - Good main character, great narration, level design, graphics (PC),
    Cons
    Conclusion
    - This is a unique game with great level design even though there are constantly moments involving stuff blocking your path and making you find another way around. I liked the small town Steven King feel. The game is 6 hours, but I wouldn't want it to be any longer. This is a story driven game. And its an interesting one with a good ending.
  51. Apr 2, 2014
    With a setting seemingly taken out of a book from Stephen King, this game is full of scary stuff.
    ... Nah, really. I couldn't count the amount of times that I physically JUMPED out of my chair. This one has more frights than the latest Resident Evil game.
    Released originally for the Xbox360 (2010), and ported to the PC (2012). Yeah a port. Taking the role of Alan Wake, a writer

Taking the role of Alan Wake, a writer stuck on vacation. Your wife goes missing, and its your mission to find out what happened to her after your concussion.
    Dark forces are at work, and light is your only escape, and method into beating them. Using a torch, you wear away their "shield", and once you've done that, you can shoot them with any regular means (guns...). There is no knife, or melee weapon to fall back on.

Story is the real strongpoint to this whole game. The player wants to learn what happened to the wife, and is sucked into the world with its great writing. Writing? Oh, and you find white paper on the way actually telling you what will happen next. Confused? Yeah, its a bit strange like that.
    There are six episodes in the package. Each a chapter to the story.
    A few of the characters, Alan, Barry (comic relief), the police lady, Odin and Tor, that doctor guy, the freaky guy. There are many in this story, but you'll only remember a handful. Everyone else just gets the nickname "that xxxx guy".

Gameplay is pretty good. Whilst I'd have liked to see slightly tighter controls, it plays very well. Battles are quite exciting and you get a slight choice in weapons (there aren't many). It plays similar to a crossbreed of Resident Evil 4 & Indigo Prophecy. The battles, however are a bit hit and miss, as they seem to be a bit on the "lite" side. Serious gamers will probably be bored with the same enemies by the second or third episode.

Graphics are very good. Whilst textures at times are a little less than desirable (eg, Episode six, when you watch your TV), they help bring the player into the story. I'd say comparable to the first Batman : Arkham game.
    Sound? Great. No complaints at all. Soundtrack fits. Swizzle.

As this was first released on the Xbox360, it may have been released in parts. But towards the middle of the game, there is a feeling of it being slightly rushed. You will keep encountering the same enemies, yet the battles play out no different. You defeat them in the same way.
    The surroundings also feel like you're still in chapter one. Night setting, full of trees... Wood cutting tools... For the length (six chapters, maybe 10-11 hours standard playtime), it feels like you are going around in circles just to watch the story continue.

Pros
    +Great story
    +Good graphics and sound, helps portray the story well
    +EEP! Jumped out of seat a few times
    +Good controls

-Many characters I don't care about
    -Copy and paste enemies and environment models.
    -On, and on, and on (too long in comparison to substance)

Overall rating; 7/10

Last thought: Feels like a spiritual sequel to Resident Evil 4. I wouldn't re-play this title, but if you are a gamer that likes a strong "horror" type story- this game is worth a shot. Might feel a little uh, "cheap" half way through though! ;-)
  52. Mar 31, 2014
    It's Q2 2014, and there's almost nothing good out at the moment that I haven't played. So I looked through my steam library and noticed that I had Alan Wake that I purchased a long time ago from one of the Steam specials but never got around to playing it. I would just like to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how absorbed I became. I was honestly struggling to get hooked on any gameIt's Q2 2014, and there's almost nothing good out at the moment that I haven't played. So I looked through my steam library and noticed that I had Alan Wake that I purchased a long time ago from one of the Steam specials but never got around to playing it. I would just like to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how absorbed I became. I was honestly struggling to get hooked on any game until I started Alan Wake. I really wanted to find out how the story played out and that's what kept me going strong throughout. I absolutely loved the deliciously dark setting in the mountains and the unique torch-as-a-weapon/shield kit out. I can't say enough good things about this- a truly refreshing experience compared to all the stuff I've been playing lately! I highly recommend this title if you're looking for something different and yet undeniably absorbing. I also thought the visuals and audio were superb for a 2012 title and did their job very well in transporting me deep into the heart of the story. Expand
  53. Mar 26, 2014
    Once you finish this game your life splits into two parts. You feel like you've missed something so much outstanding and you really want to replay the game again, but than appears the problem. The game itself is above the average on the very first look. The graphics, the atmosphere, the story. Everything works flawlessly. But there is one thing which makes the game a game and that is theOnce you finish this game your life splits into two parts. You feel like you've missed something so much outstanding and you really want to replay the game again, but than appears the problem. The game itself is above the average on the very first look. The graphics, the atmosphere, the story. Everything works flawlessly. But there is one thing which makes the game a game and that is the overall gameplay. The concept itself isn't the worst ideas of all, it actually is pretty interesting. But the repeating of the same mechanics with no apparent change from the very start to the grand finale really wasn't the brightest idea. But luckily for Alan Wake, the game never gets boring thanks to the intense atmosphere. For players who like to look around them, admire the beauty of their surroundings is this a great game. People who prefer faster progress through the game might a be a bit disappointed, because they are missing a huge part of the game. Story & Atmosphere would be an easy 10/10, but the not as perfect gameplay mechanics decrease the rating by a few points. But still, this is an outstanding game, which really deserves your attention, if you haven't played it yet. Expand
  54. Mar 3, 2014
    This game just a great change of pace. Those complaining about how "linear" it is need to understand that the point of the game is the story, not the game play. I must say that for an old game, having purchased this game on sale for $3 on steam, this game is incredible graphics. The atmosphere in the game is very realistic and spooky at night times. The sound is fantastic as well. ReallyThis game just a great change of pace. Those complaining about how "linear" it is need to understand that the point of the game is the story, not the game play. I must say that for an old game, having purchased this game on sale for $3 on steam, this game is incredible graphics. The atmosphere in the game is very realistic and spooky at night times. The sound is fantastic as well. Really makes you feel like you're in the game. I have to agree, that it really is like playing through a movie in a sense, but this is why i liked it. It was a nice change of pace and something unique so far in my gaming experience. Expand
  55. Feb 19, 2014
    Alan Wake is certainly an enjoyable game and a good horror story, the way the narrative zigzags between normalcy and madness is particularly impressive. The gameplay could stand to be deeper and Alan could learn to hang onto his equipment better between chapters, but these are small niggles overall. Collectibles in this game actually enhance the experience rather than detracting from it,Alan Wake is certainly an enjoyable game and a good horror story, the way the narrative zigzags between normalcy and madness is particularly impressive. The gameplay could stand to be deeper and Alan could learn to hang onto his equipment better between chapters, but these are small niggles overall. Collectibles in this game actually enhance the experience rather than detracting from it, unlike most games, which is a pleasant surprise; but on the other hand product placement and advertisement can get obnoxious. Graphically the game is quite pretty, the lighting effects being particularly well-executed. Unfortunately, the PC port is subpar and can occasionally have problems even on top-tier hardware, so be careful about buying this game if your PC has modest specs. The PC port does boast several useful improvements such as adjustable FOV, however, which is commendable. Expand
  56. Feb 11, 2014
    This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story.This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story. Wake, as a writer, provides an interesting narration that brings the environment to life, while also voicing Wake's thoughts and providing information for the story. The way game connects collectibles (in the form of pages to Alan's memoirs) to the story is great and interesting. Characters are brought to life with new depth as you read their stories in the memoirs. But the horror is also a big factor in this game.

When the darkness attacks, light is the only salvation. Your inventory consists of guns and light-based weapons, such as flares, flashbangs, and a flashlight. Ammunition can be scarce, so hold on to the light and savor it while you have it. It all fits well with the horror of the game--as the darkness becomes stronger, you only feel safe in the light of day (and not always then!). When lost, following the light is also a safe bet, but this feels natural. You are running, being chased by those Taken by the darkness, and naturally you run toward the light because it is the only place you feel is safe.

This is a game I know I will certainly replay, with more focus on the story and collectibles. The gameplay is unique and interesting, the horror keeps you on edge, and the story is fantastic and full of depth.
  57. Feb 10, 2014
    This has to be one of the better games I've played in the past couple of years. The game mechanic of using light in various ways is quite unique, and works very well. The story isn't overly original, but the way in which it's told will draw you in and hold you `till the end. You can tell it is very inspired by Stephen King, and even mentions him once or twice in passing. The game feelsThis has to be one of the better games I've played in the past couple of years. The game mechanic of using light in various ways is quite unique, and works very well. The story isn't overly original, but the way in which it's told will draw you in and hold you `till the end. You can tell it is very inspired by Stephen King, and even mentions him once or twice in passing. The game feels like an interactive movie based on a Stephen King book, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Highly recommended for anyone who's a fan of the horror genre, whether it be games, books, or movies. Expand
  58. Feb 9, 2014
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    First of all. Terrible shaking videos brings you on island, where you get wrong direction and your girlfriend disappear. Ok, nice start and there are some scary ghost in forest, many pages from book, where are future steps described....
    I bought this game in Christmas sale.
    BUT! Main character is terribly crappy, unable to walk and run more than 50 meters. His position is on side, but he is moving to the center of screen, what is terrible first hour. After 1 hour you find him terrible clumsy. Ghost persons are coming from nowhere and you have to hit them with light from your lamp. And during this, he is terribly clumsy. When you are trying to run from them, they are faster and Alan is terribly clumsy to go around tree, rock. When Alan is hit, he is clumsy more than before...
    This game is joke. Creator was somebody who was creating main character and scene perspective completely drunk. When I see other games like Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, where character control is helpful, not doing stupidities, I'm asking WHY ? WHY ? Why did I bought this terrible game ???????
  59. Feb 9, 2014
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent. The characters are compelling. The graphics/environment is very nice. The story keeps you in doubt all the time. I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes. The bad: The talking animations are really bad...Fortunately they seem to get better as you progress. The
    Its a good game.

First of all, the good bits: The voice acting is overall excellent.
    The characters are compelling.
    The graphics/environment is very nice.
    The story keeps you in doubt all the time.
    I like the torch mechanic, you actually need to use it as a torch sometimes.

The game forces you to go out of your way to collect "the story", its annoying and boring. It shouldnt be so time consuming.
    Gameplay is just ok.
    The story never ultimately explains itself and some people seem to like this, but not me. I hate it, this really is the downfall of the game.

Well worth the
  60. Jan 31, 2014
    At first I didn't know what to think about this game. The gameplay surprised me a bit, and to be honest, I thought to myself in the tutorials: "Is this it?"

But I decided to keep on playing, and I'm glad I did. I got used to the gameplay and it became rather fun. But that's not where the strong point is in this game. What impressed me about Alan Wake is the story line and how the game

What impressed me about Alan Wake is the story line and how the game is set up. You're playing as a writer, and the game is played as if you were reading a book, or listening to an audio book. It has chapters, and even narration by Alan Wake so we can explore his thoughts and truly know how and what he feels.

The ending didn't leave me wanting for more, but it sure was a confusing, yet climatic ending.
    All in all, Alan Wake has a great story line, and is in my opinion one of the best horror games I've played story wise.
  61. NLS
    Jan 21, 2014
    I like this game.
    I like the story telling, I like the genuine american horror story feeling.
    I would wish it was less linear.
    Definitely a good game though.
  62. Jan 12, 2014
    To be honest, the game is so-so. The storytelling is good, despite of everything other. The gameplay is quite poor. It's poorly copy-past the famous resident evil series, and contains no puzzles, no interesting enemies. So we are getting half novel story-telling, half shooting game very similar to Max Payne, and to be honest it doesn't justify my expectation. I pretty sure that you willTo be honest, the game is so-so. The storytelling is good, despite of everything other. The gameplay is quite poor. It's poorly copy-past the famous resident evil series, and contains no puzzles, no interesting enemies. So we are getting half novel story-telling, half shooting game very similar to Max Payne, and to be honest it doesn't justify my expectation. I pretty sure that you will get more fun by playing in resident evil or silent hill. Expand
  63. Jan 10, 2014
    Not a great game, and another example of the metacritic score not representing reality. The game has nice graphics, but terrible token enemies. It's like they thought they'd better add the shadow monsters to give it an arcade feel. They're annoying and ruin the game, they are fun for about 2 minutes, then it gets tedious and repetitive. I'm not alone in this opinion, just read a fewNot a great game, and another example of the metacritic score not representing reality. The game has nice graphics, but terrible token enemies. It's like they thought they'd better add the shadow monsters to give it an arcade feel. They're annoying and ruin the game, they are fun for about 2 minutes, then it gets tedious and repetitive. I'm not alone in this opinion, just read a few reviews.

Very atmospheric, I would have liked to go through the game without any combat.

Wait for it to be on sale if you need to see it. The graphics and mood are interesting, perhaps a bit self-indulgent and pretentious... also confusing because it's a dream within a nightmare or something like that.

I would have preferred a first person view, the third person perspective has its limits.
  64. Jan 8, 2014
    A game i bought in 2011, and never got into it, until a couple of days a go.
    OK, story is absolutely fantastic, and thoroughly enjoyable, even if a little Americanized.
    Graphics and presentation is second to none, it has a brilliant art style that flows extremely well with game play and story. Now, my only reason for not scoring this a 10, is purely the repetition throughout the game,
    A game i bought in 2011, and never got into it, until a couple of days a go.
    Now, my only reason for not scoring this a 10, is purely the repetition throughout the game, combat is cool, but get's a little dull and becoming a chore towards the end of the game, however it is only a small niggle.
    The game has room for further game play even after completion along the lines of achievements if that is your thing, you may go back and try to bust those final achievements.
    My final words, great game and definitely worthy of it's price.
  65. Jan 5, 2014
    First of all, Alan Wake really is worth the money. While it plays very much like a standard Third person Shooter, the concept behind the combat is brilliant and flawlessly executed, using light to destroy the 'dark armor' then use firearms to eliminate your enemies, the 'Taken', human entities coming to life from a novel Wake can't remember writing. If I were to explain the story, I wouldFirst of all, Alan Wake really is worth the money. While it plays very much like a standard Third person Shooter, the concept behind the combat is brilliant and flawlessly executed, using light to destroy the 'dark armor' then use firearms to eliminate your enemies, the 'Taken', human entities coming to life from a novel Wake can't remember writing. If I were to explain the story, I would be he all day, but one thing I can say is that Alan Wake is filled with convoluted plot twists. However, 2 complaints I have about the game are the awkward camera angles (because shrubbery can easily block your view during combat in the forest), and the steep difficulty curve in the first couple of chapters. Expand
  66. Jan 4, 2014
    I highly enjoyed this remedy game. Making notably only Max Payne, Alan wake is a highly refreshing game. I enjoyed the story, the characters and overall the game is polished and a blast to play.
  67. Jan 1, 2014
    I will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready forI will be truthful and tell you that this game is good. However, it is grueling. The story takes a very long time to play out, and has a pretty boring archetype to it. The actual story however is awesome and will capture you immediately. The game just feels like there is too much repetitive fighting for how much story happens in between the fighting. About 3 hours in, I was ready for the game to just be over already. The game is an extremely awesome concept, but it could have been executed much, much better Expand
  68. Dec 29, 2013
    Started off good but nearing the ending I figured out that this games just a very pretentious game. The story you think maybe really interesting but as you get to the end you realise that the writer is just popping out of his ass to make the game even more MYSTERIOUS WOOO. Very pretentious and totally overrated.
  69. Nov 25, 2013
    I've played this game when it came on PC and have decided to try it out again a couple of days ago. I must say this game is very enjoyable to play, while it's known as a horror adventure it's not scary (most of the time). The story is enjoyable, but the combat can be a pain in the ass untill you get used to it (and even then it can be frustrating). Despite this, it's a great game and youI've played this game when it came on PC and have decided to try it out again a couple of days ago. I must say this game is very enjoyable to play, while it's known as a horror adventure it's not scary (most of the time). The story is enjoyable, but the combat can be a pain in the ass untill you get used to it (and even then it can be frustrating). Despite this, it's a great game and you should try it if you haven't already. Expand
  70. Nov 24, 2013
    Fortunately Remedy have not flopped when they released Max Payne 2. For them the flop (if one can call it a flop at all) was second series of games, Alan Wake. Let's just call it a decline. For me I expected higher level of character insight and relation to the protagonist I've enjoyed with Max Payne 1 & 2. Alan Wake did not intrigue me with the story line and the main protagonist did notFortunately Remedy have not flopped when they released Max Payne 2. For them the flop (if one can call it a flop at all) was second series of games, Alan Wake. Let's just call it a decline. For me I expected higher level of character insight and relation to the protagonist I've enjoyed with Max Payne 1 & 2. Alan Wake did not intrigue me with the story line and the main protagonist did not capture my attention. I understand Remedy spent more time on the gameplay mechanics/atmosphere and an attempt at TV series episodic release schedule (something nobody has still pulled off in video game industry). In my opinion they should have focused on storyline a little more. One of the good things I've discovered during this game is original The Twilight Zone series which inspired the ingame TV series Night Springs. Atmosphere in this game is omnipresent and deep, you will find yourself in an "ecosystem" of interleaved and interrelated themes that creates an ingame world that Remedy have mastered over the years.

Lastly I'd like to thank Remedy for securing a PC release of this game. Would it not be for Xbox we would have seen a PC port much earlier. PC realm is where Remedy originally come from so I am glad to see they have delivered for their dedicated fan base.
  71. Nov 17, 2013
    I don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlightI don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlight to fight off the darkness is a pretty cool concept and the execution comes off pretty nicely. Although I have to admit the game didn't draw me in to play non-stop from start to finish--ultimately starting the game in September and not actually finishing it until November.

So what is it about Alan Wake that makes it so standoffish? Well for starters, the gameplay starts to get repetitiously dull. Some of the forest paths are really long laying ground for more hordes of Taken than one person can deal with before it just becomes mundane. It is kind of broken up with some areas to explore in between, but it wasn't enough. The other aspect which may sound weird is that I never really felt like I took the role as Alan Wake. Instead it felt more like I was just moving the story forward and watching Alan unfold as opposed to being a part of critical decisions. Fortunately the chapters are broken up very nicely into roughly two hour segments with good musical intermissions allowing players whatever amount of time they need before jumping into the next chapter.

Overall, a fantastic game and a must play in my book.
  72. Nov 8, 2013
    A great game not only from the narrative perspective but also from technical one...Just a perfect combination of a thriller with an amazing storyline and an exciting gameplay.One of the best single player games I've ever played.
  73. Nov 1, 2013
    Superb storytelling, memorable characters, and a dark but yet gorgeous atmosphere that will stick with you long after you are finished Alan Wake. I need to address one thing first...

This is not a scary game...it's not meant to be. It's a psychological action thriller (check the box art if you don't believe me...) Unfortunately people have rated this game based on "scare factor" and that's not fair. Although this game has the makings of "horror" game, it's not. That's like trying to call the movie "Se7en" a horror movie. It has the atmosphere and aesthetics of one but its a psychological thriller all the way through.

Alan Wake puts you on the edge of your seat and keeps you coming back for more. The game plays out like a thriller/mystery TV show with "Chapters" and "Previously On..." segments. You play as a best selling author who is having difficulties writing his next book. He decides to take a vacation with his girlfriend up to a town called Bright Falls. Located in the pacific northwest, Bright Falls shares many similarities with the fictional town of Twin Peaks (the TV show from the 90's). It's a small, cozy, honest working mans town where everybody know everybody. When your just about settled into the cabin, your girlfriend goes missing. You must then try and track her down while avoiding the darkness that plagues the town and the evil that lurks within.

The game has several key features. The atmosphere by far steals the show. You can tell a lot of attention to detail went into crafting this beautiful northwestern landscape. The lighting and particle effects are excellent as well. The sound design is well done and the narration from the main character adds to the tension and mystery.

My last complaint would be the lack of replay-ability. Once you complete the game...that's it. Your not awarded any bonus missions or free roam. Sure you can go back and collect some coffee thermoses (no seriously there's like 100 to collect) but what is that going to get you? Seeing as how the game was first designed as an open world game (and still feels much like one at times) they could have left that in tact and let you roam around freely after you beat the game.

All that set aside, the games pacing, characters and location are more than enough to draw you in. Like a good book, you wont want to put this one down once you've started.
  74. Oct 31, 2013
    7.5 Actually.
    7.5 Actually.
    I enjoy this game for the story and the graphics. Gameplay is pretty lame, and as others said the off-center-semi-shoulder camera angle can become really noxious, tedious, and frustrating. Besides, it is never constant, and keeps shifting depending on what needs to be shown in the specific place in the game. Trying to complete a jump puzzle with such camera view becomes ridiculous.
    The game-play itself is this: you point your flashlight and shoot. That's it. Some path-finding bugs (which a not many, but present) take away from enjoyment.
    Nonetheless, as i said before, i enjoy this game for the story and graphics (even though buggy in-game auto-tune up optimizer told me my system req's are below minimum requirement, i am running smooth on all maxed up without a hick-up), and it is a good experience which is a blend of cinematic feeling and a quest with shooting elements. Good game.
  75. Oct 11, 2013
    I am writing for BrutalMoose. To quote him from his stream as of 10/11/13 "The game looks good, and could be scary, but isn't. Maybe it's just because I'm drunk, I don't know... alcohol might be affecting this game for me..."
  76. Oct 7, 2013
    Awsome game. you have to dig through the first 15min but once you are in you cannot let it go anymore. I love it. Sometimes the camera is not my cup of tea but the overall experience is great.
  77. Oct 6, 2013
    When big budget games screw up they screw up well. This game attempts to take Stephen King tropes and turn them into a computer game, it looks great, is well voiced but massively over-cutscened. Also the only real scares come from being overwhelmed by sheer numbers of enemies. I didn't complete this simply because I stopped caring. Sad really..

It feels like a sci-fi channel movie.

It feels like a sci-fi channel movie.

Basically if you want a really scary game get Amnesia: The Dark Descent.... That's what you need,
  78. Sep 28, 2013
    I find it difficult to accept many of the positive reviews made here for this game. In all honestly, you could barely call it a game at all. It's more like an interactive story in the vein of Dear Esther than a game. It's boring and predictable, the controls are awful and the choices are superficial. It's about as horrific as ordering neopolitan icecream and discovering they gave you allI find it difficult to accept many of the positive reviews made here for this game. In all honestly, you could barely call it a game at all. It's more like an interactive story in the vein of Dear Esther than a game. It's boring and predictable, the controls are awful and the choices are superficial. It's about as horrific as ordering neopolitan icecream and discovering they gave you all strawberry. Do not buy even on sale. Expand
  79. Sep 18, 2013
    The best story telling in recent memory. Sometimes the controls suck but the ambiance, careful style progression and suspense punctuated by real fear your batteries will run out on your flashlight makes it amazing and totally worth it. I usually avoid console ports religiously but I'm glad I picked this gem up on sale.
  80. Sep 13, 2013
    The GOOD
    - hooked story. I can't put a stop to it. I don't know why too.
    - new kind of evil 'Darkness' thing aside from zombies, ghost, zombies, devil, zombies, did I mention the old evil like zombies?
    - get me scared without scary things at all.

The BAD
    - game play is ultimately repetitive. Just walk to there, fight yourself through, and activate it, the repeat again
  81. Sep 10, 2013
    This game is a must-have for people that love mystery-supernatural kind of stories, but for those that aren't a fan of such things,this game could do either 2 things to you. Either it will make you looove the genre or you would just hate it and just force your way through to get the end.But overall it is a fantastically made game,graphics is state-of-the art ,especially the motion of Alan Wake.
  82. Sep 7, 2013
    The story is told in a unique and generally brilliant way, but the gameplay becomes incredibly monotonous by the fifth level. Could have been excellent.
  83. Sep 5, 2013
    Alan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 differentAlan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 different difficulty settings. The Pc edition containt the two DLC for free! Buy it, it's really worth it every single cent you spend on it. Expand
  84. Sep 5, 2013
    I have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded gameI have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded game with some great story telling aspects. Expand
  85. Sep 4, 2013
    Excellent story, gameplay and environment. You need to play this game at least for the story. Soundtrack is top class as well. One of the best games of modern times
  86. Aug 31, 2013
    Really well done survival horror game. Top notch production values, including level design, writing and voice acting. The action isn't to quite the same standard, but it's still solid and provides some good challenge, variety and tension.
  87. Aug 26, 2013
    A different experience that not everybody likes, but with manifold on games out there I'm glad that we still have... "different" games like Alan Wake. A truly enjoyable experience with an excellent story. Wish there would be more diverse enemies though.

All in all I can just urge you to try it out.
  88. Aug 26, 2013
    The story is just amazing. The atmosphere is well-done, the gameplay is a little bit repetitive at times but it's still good. A good PC port too. Amazing game.
  89. Aug 23, 2013
    The controls are awful, very hard to focus your gun and even difficult to walk straight with the 3rd person view; you're also constantly looking 'around' Alan who seems to enjoy blocking my view of where I want to go. I've tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, both are awful to control, the lack of control takes you out of the story; the graphics are otherwise quite good and useThe controls are awful, very hard to focus your gun and even difficult to walk straight with the 3rd person view; you're also constantly looking 'around' Alan who seems to enjoy blocking my view of where I want to go. I've tried both mouse/keyboard and 360 controller, both are awful to control, the lack of control takes you out of the story; the graphics are otherwise quite good and use interesting effects, I'm sure this would be an enjoyable game if it was actually playable (how the majority of reviewers are able to play this is beyond me). Further, Alan cannot attack his enemies when he does not have any ammo, no fists or kicks, no using the flashlight as blunt impact; this means you stand there like a taking a beating until you reload the level with 12 bullets which at times is not enough and you still have to double-back to hopefully find a stash (then if you die and need the ammo, you have to do it again, and again). I would constantly run out of ammo, often wasting shots due to the controls. The game only saves at predetermined check points, you cannot save where you want to. I've put 5 hours into it, which according to howlongtobeat is about half way, I have zero inspiration to conclude this "nightmare" (which it is, for all the wrong reasons) and do not recommend whatsoever. +3 points for good graphics and creative use of story, -7 for abysmal controls. Expand
  90. Aug 23, 2013
    Alan Wake has great atmosphere, an interesting story, good sound work (including some interesting licensed music) and fun game play. Felt there was a decent mix of weapons and uses to really vary up the combat. Light as a mechanic worked well whether keeping the enemies at a distance with the flares, killing them with flash bangs/ flare gun, disorienting them with the flashlight or takingAlan Wake has great atmosphere, an interesting story, good sound work (including some interesting licensed music) and fun game play. Felt there was a decent mix of weapons and uses to really vary up the combat. Light as a mechanic worked well whether keeping the enemies at a distance with the flares, killing them with flash bangs/ flare gun, disorienting them with the flashlight or taking off their "immunity armor." There are a few downfalls. Driving cars with a keyboard and mouse was pretty awful. Also occasionally enemies would spawn behind you or move quickly behind you and it was difficult fighting enemies in all direction. Overall: Loved the game, kept coming back to play more until I finished it. Expand
  91. Aug 20, 2013
    An amazing game, very deep atmosphere and story, really good mix between music and action, with some jokes sometimes. One game that shines over others games from this generation, you'll remember it.
  92. Aug 19, 2013
    The story in Alan Wake is quite exceptional comparing to other video games in the genre. Too bad the rest of the game can't match up to the well-written storytelling.

The game kicks off interestingly where we meet our protagonist, who is struggling with writing crisis and a "little bit" of insanity. Soon we find ourselves fighting with shadowy creatures named 'The Taken' controlled by a mysterious force.

The fighting mechanics based on the power of light are unique. While this newish fighting scheme is fun at first it lacks deepness, so it becomes repetitive. Unfortunately nothing good can be said about the controls, which is one of the most discouraging features of the game: awkward movements, slow reaction times, super sensitive mouse controls

One of the high points of the game is the voice acting. It phenomenally supports the great story, which pushes the player for resolution...that may or may not exists in the end. The end of the story will leave many with questions and bad taste, but the open nature of the conclusion is not necessarily a bad thing at all. However, the special chapters (The Signal and The Writer) will help put a proper end to this tale.

After 6 chapters it is hard to think of any reasons why anyone, who is not a fan of Alan would start this game all over again. The replay value of the game is very low thanks to its linear nature. Other than some collectibles there's no point to return. Alan Wake is one of those games that would've been enjoyable on a big screen rather than with a controller in a hand.

Rating: 65/100; Replay Value: 1/5; To Beat: 14-16 hours (incl. the specials); Played on: normal.
  93. Aug 12, 2013
    I wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at leastI wouldn't say I suffered, but I decided to quit after about two hours of gameplay. The port was done correctly, no bugs or whatnot- BUT, the game itself was really boring. The gameplay was really unrewarding, nothing interesting actually happened, the verdict on this so-called horror game was very easy to decide. It's not scary, not innovative, not fun to play, not interesting (at least two hours in) and quite repetitive. Thanks, but no thanks.
    (Also, shooting mechanics and point of view sucked, not very intuitive)
  94. Aug 7, 2013
    The worst control system ever, camera is horrible, the only effect is lens flare, EVERYWHERE, every damn light has a lens flare effect on it. the story MAY be interesting, but i don't know because i found the game SO BORING that i stopped playing after 40 minutes of game, because i had no interest for the story, i had no will to go on, and most of all i was so sick of the character! I lostThe worst control system ever, camera is horrible, the only effect is lens flare, EVERYWHERE, every damn light has a lens flare effect on it. the story MAY be interesting, but i don't know because i found the game SO BORING that i stopped playing after 40 minutes of game, because i had no interest for the story, i had no will to go on, and most of all i was so sick of the character! I lost interest in half an hour. Really a bad bad game. BAD! Fortunately i payed it 3€! :P Expand
  95. Aug 7, 2013

Also, I am not one for horror games as usually they have terrible combat and at times aren't that creepy, however this is a game with a good combat system and able to be creepy without using gore. Afterall, darkness is one of the most primal of fears. It's well worth it's price for anyone looking for a deeply involving story and/or want to play a creepy game.
  96. Aug 5, 2013
    This is shallow two-button gameplay combined with the worst of a high school creative writing contest all rolled into one. I actually played through it with a few of my friends watching, MST3K Rifftracks style. The writing is at least as cliche and stilted as 'This Island Earth'.
  97. Jul 30, 2013
    Somehow, I never managed to find something special in this game. To me, Alan Wake is basically just another third person action shooter. It is one above average though, but still I found the gameplay itself to become very boring and repetitive after only around two hours into the game. I was also rather annoyed than fascinated by what I felt to be a pseudo in depth psychological horrorSomehow, I never managed to find something special in this game. To me, Alan Wake is basically just another third person action shooter. It is one above average though, but still I found the gameplay itself to become very boring and repetitive after only around two hours into the game. I was also rather annoyed than fascinated by what I felt to be a pseudo in depth psychological horror storyline. Graphics, sound, and atmosphere are all very good, but the gameplay itself just couldn't keep me entertained. I finished the game within less than 10 hours and won't give it another go. Expand
  98. sft
    Jul 29, 2013
    The light fantastic (almost)

The light fantastic (almost)

Credit is due Remedy for making ALAN WAKE a story-driven game. It’s a partial success, though not a complete one. They have entirely eschewed the typical RPG tropes of dialogue trees and progression choices in favour of a linear, non-interactive structure. The story is played out in a series of cut-scenes and simple A to B tasks. Basically you just have to battle your way from one place to the next. There’s certainly a place for this type of game, and when it’s done well la Half-Life 2) it can be very rewarding. Unlike Half-Life 2, however, ALAN WAKE doesn’t quite pull it off. Firstly, there isn’t enough humour. There’s some but it would have benefited from more. And the story isn’t exactly original. But the main problem for me was the combat. I hated the way control is wrenched away from the player every time enemies approach. I get why they did it (there’s no other way of knowing they’re coming, apart from some audible warnings) but I often found myself disoriented when the camera had finished sweeping around and control had retuned. Several times the sweep lasted so long that by the time I had control again the enemies were right on me and it was impossible to avoid taking a hit. Frustrating to say the least. On the plus side the environments look very good and it’s quite atmospheric (although not as creepy as I would have liked Silent Hill still sets the bar for that). One other thing worth noting is that I found the special episode, The Writer, to be better than what had gone before. It’s even more atmospheric and far more inventive. Overall this is a good game if not an outstanding one.
  99. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    A great story, a set of interesting characters, great graphics, handy controls, Rose, lots of compelling challenges and fair rewards, well-balanced cut-scenes... Alan Wake is a complete and unregrettable gaming experience you'll start missing as soon as the credits fade out. 9/10 need moar Rose.
  100. Jul 24, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this game, but unfortunately, its poor execution in regards to gameplay mechanics had me smashing inanimate objects. The story was interesting, which kept me going for a while. This is really one of the only strong points of the game. I could deal with the awkward camera angles and lack of a crosshair. The combat was repetitive, annoying, and pointless. GoingI really wanted to enjoy this game, but unfortunately, its poor execution in regards to gameplay mechanics had me smashing inanimate objects. The story was interesting, which kept me going for a while. This is really one of the only strong points of the game. I could deal with the awkward camera angles and lack of a crosshair. The combat was repetitive, annoying, and pointless. Going through and finding the collectibles was more of an annoyance than fun. The biggest thing that made me quit the game for good was the respawning enemies. What is this, 2002? Expand

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012