8.0

1. Jan 4, 2015
    Never even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly butNever even heard of this game until a review of my new video card (EVGA GTX980...which is amazing btw). It was on sale in the steam store over the holidays for $3. I have to say this is a very impressive and entertaining game and worth the regular cost even if not on sale. I purchased it for my son and a friend while it was on sale. Graphics amazing - Gameplay is very user friendly but makes you think a little - Creepy Intense when you really follow the story and immerse yourself in the game. During surround gaming on triple monitors it was flawless and beautiful. I would recommend this game for anyone looking for an unusually different type gameplay and plot. Personally I really enjoyed how the episodes were like a TV series...clever! Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a psychological action thriller in a game, the story and direction has something great in it
    10 because the games atmosphere is logical. The very same experience I had was while playing Batman:Arkham City.

From the makers of Max Payne series(2) Remedy Entertainment, there's alot of pressure to put up a great story line but they manage to convince os well. But the game was not at all scary ,easy to finish,repetitive,only some scores of the episode very genuinely interesting.

When we talk about logic-sense in a game we keep in mind games like Indigo Prophecy where everything we do has a good reasoning to it . The game was easily driven on a same concept where the user know whats coming on next.

YOU NEED DLC's to get the best of the game!
  3. Dec 23, 2014
    I enjoyed the game above all thanks to its story, horror atmosphere and very good playability, comfortable controls and pretty good graphics. Episodes could be shorter and there could be more of them. Saving of the game was not balanced, but it worked. The game is really treasure in thrilling story narration. I recommend to every person, who likes horrors and action.
  4. Sep 24, 2014
    Story and climate is fantastic. No game was so interesting for me like this one. And the city ,,Bright Falls" is impressing. Beautifull place and it's have a good write history. And characters we meet aren't bored.
  5. Jun 29, 2014
    General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant.General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant. Great Twin Peaks/David Lynch atmosphere with psychological horror that literally chilled my spine. As a writer this game is ultimately appealing and greatly appreciated. While there is little reason to replay other than to relive the story (which I for one will do in about a year or so) there are collectibles and achievements galore here. Remedy did a great job with the game but a sequel would be difficult though not implausible I would love for this to have a real follow up (American Nightmare is more like a DLC) but only if the quality of the narrative can be maintained.

TL;DNR: 9: A great psychological horror/survival game with a very strong narrative and unique game play. For those who enjoy and value strong stories within their games and enjoy things by David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...) then this is a must play.

Technology/engine: 8: Runs very smoothly and is well optimized for PC.

AI: 7: The AI is well developed but a bit predictable.

Graphics: 7: The graphics a decent although texture qualities are mix and the character models are dated. The set pieces, however, are great - heavily detailed, great art style, and creates a depth of immersion and atmosphere that many games seem to ignore.

Sound: 10: The sound in this game is very well developed with lots of depth and variability in ambient sound and combat sounds are spot on.

Soundtrack: 9: Great soundtrack with well chosen episodic theme songs at the end of each of its 6 episodes and great music throughout that fits the action and the intensity of the moment and really adds to the games pacing as well as atmosphere.

Voice acting: 8: Most of the voice acting is well done and convincing although there are moments where it fades into the acceptable range. Never the less, its minor acting issues do not really detract from its story nor its immersion.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: N/A

Game play systems: 9: The game play in Alan Wake is well developed and fun with a good mix of occasional splashes of reward exploration (at times the exploration for hidden caches of resources may not be a good choice and the intensity of that decision comes through very well), game relevant puzzles of sorts (more like just dangerous tasks really), wonderful use of light as a weapon, and all around just a fun game.

Controls: 10: This is a PC port done right. The controls are excellent and can be rebound to any key. The controls are simple and clean and are quickly picked up.

Story: 10: Very well written and very well executed. A David Lynch style story that really pulls you in and makes you care about Bright Falls and its inhabitants as well as the Alan and his buddy Barry. If you like David Lynch's work you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Multiplayer: N/A
  6. Jun 27, 2014
    ...There's a long journey through the night back into the light...

...There's a long journey through the night back into the light...

Pretty much this quote describes the story of Alan Wake as well as the main gameplay idea. Yes, the mystical storyline is what makes this game stand out from many others. Of course it's not the only advantage but is what makes you to lead through the repetitive gameplay to the end. No doubt, after finish of the story you will end up with a feeling of deja vu. The developers were definitely greatly inspired by mystical fictions and movies of past years, like Stephen King, Twin Peaks or even Twilight Zone. The result is a dramatic thriller flavored with mysticism.

But as I said, the story is not the only good thing here. Remedy did a great job on recreating horror atmosphere. The major game time takes place in the night forest where your only weapon is a light and you have to keep off creatures of darkness. The creepy sounds in surrounding darkness and limited ammunition increases the level of suspense which makes you run to a savior town lights. You'll not want come back to the forest again...

I highly recommend this game to those who like mystic and horror and as an example of a brilliant cinematographic game inspired by many aspects of horror literature.
  7. Apr 29, 2014
    For god's sake! this is the best and most moving storyline in the game i've played EVER!
    simply beutiful graphics and the gameplay that perfectly suits the rest.

Hihgly reccomend
  8. Mar 31, 2014
    It's Q2 2014, and there's almost nothing good out at the moment that I haven't played. So I looked through my steam library and noticed that I had Alan Wake that I purchased a long time ago from one of the Steam specials but never got around to playing it. I would just like to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how absorbed I became. I was honestly struggling to get hooked on any gameIt's Q2 2014, and there's almost nothing good out at the moment that I haven't played. So I looked through my steam library and noticed that I had Alan Wake that I purchased a long time ago from one of the Steam specials but never got around to playing it. I would just like to say that I am pleasantly surprised at how absorbed I became. I was honestly struggling to get hooked on any game until I started Alan Wake. I really wanted to find out how the story played out and that's what kept me going strong throughout. I absolutely loved the deliciously dark setting in the mountains and the unique torch-as-a-weapon/shield kit out. I can't say enough good things about this- a truly refreshing experience compared to all the stuff I've been playing lately! I highly recommend this title if you're looking for something different and yet undeniably absorbing. I also thought the visuals and audio were superb for a 2012 title and did their job very well in transporting me deep into the heart of the story. Expand
  9. Feb 11, 2014
    This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story.This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story. Wake, as a writer, provides an interesting narration that brings the environment to life, while also voicing Wake's thoughts and providing information for the story. The way game connects collectibles (in the form of pages to Alan's memoirs) to the story is great and interesting. Characters are brought to life with new depth as you read their stories in the memoirs. But the horror is also a big factor in this game.

When the darkness attacks, light is the only salvation. Your inventory consists of guns and light-based weapons, such as flares, flashbangs, and a flashlight. Ammunition can be scarce, so hold on to the light and savor it while you have it. It all fits well with the horror of the game--as the darkness becomes stronger, you only feel safe in the light of day (and not always then!). When lost, following the light is also a safe bet, but this feels natural. You are running, being chased by those Taken by the darkness, and naturally you run toward the light because it is the only place you feel is safe.

This is a game I know I will certainly replay, with more focus on the story and collectibles. The gameplay is unique and interesting, the horror keeps you on edge, and the story is fantastic and full of depth.
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    This has to be one of the better games I've played in the past couple of years. The game mechanic of using light in various ways is quite unique, and works very well. The story isn't overly original, but the way in which it's told will draw you in and hold you `till the end. You can tell it is very inspired by Stephen King, and even mentions him once or twice in passing. The game feelsThis has to be one of the better games I've played in the past couple of years. The game mechanic of using light in various ways is quite unique, and works very well. The story isn't overly original, but the way in which it's told will draw you in and hold you `till the end. You can tell it is very inspired by Stephen King, and even mentions him once or twice in passing. The game feels like an interactive movie based on a Stephen King book, directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Highly recommended for anyone who's a fan of the horror genre, whether it be games, books, or movies. Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2014
    At first I didn't know what to think about this game. The gameplay surprised me a bit, and to be honest, I thought to myself in the tutorials: "Is this it?"

But I decided to keep on playing, and I'm glad I did. I got used to the gameplay and it became rather fun. But that's not where the strong point is in this game. What impressed me about Alan Wake is the story line and how the game

What impressed me about Alan Wake is the story line and how the game is set up. You're playing as a writer, and the game is played as if you were reading a book, or listening to an audio book. It has chapters, and even narration by Alan Wake so we can explore his thoughts and truly know how and what he feels.

The ending didn't leave me wanting for more, but it sure was a confusing, yet climatic ending.
    All in all, Alan Wake has a great story line, and is in my opinion one of the best horror games I've played story wise.
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    First of all, Alan Wake really is worth the money. While it plays very much like a standard Third person Shooter, the concept behind the combat is brilliant and flawlessly executed, using light to destroy the 'dark armor' then use firearms to eliminate your enemies, the 'Taken', human entities coming to life from a novel Wake can't remember writing. If I were to explain the story, I wouldFirst of all, Alan Wake really is worth the money. While it plays very much like a standard Third person Shooter, the concept behind the combat is brilliant and flawlessly executed, using light to destroy the 'dark armor' then use firearms to eliminate your enemies, the 'Taken', human entities coming to life from a novel Wake can't remember writing. If I were to explain the story, I would be he all day, but one thing I can say is that Alan Wake is filled with convoluted plot twists. However, 2 complaints I have about the game are the awkward camera angles (because shrubbery can easily block your view during combat in the forest), and the steep difficulty curve in the first couple of chapters. Expand
  13. Nov 8, 2013
    A great game not only from the narrative perspective but also from technical one...Just a perfect combination of a thriller with an amazing storyline and an exciting gameplay.One of the best single player games I've ever played.
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    Awsome game. you have to dig through the first 15min but once you are in you cannot let it go anymore. I love it. Sometimes the camera is not my cup of tea but the overall experience is great.
  15. Sep 18, 2013
    The best story telling in recent memory. Sometimes the controls suck but the ambiance, careful style progression and suspense punctuated by real fear your batteries will run out on your flashlight makes it amazing and totally worth it. I usually avoid console ports religiously but I'm glad I picked this gem up on sale.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    Alan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 differentAlan Wake is a really enjoyable game. It's long, about 16 hours, the porting from the 360 version is really good. Remedy patched the game several fimes following the community tips to make it better and better. Graphic is good, but the soundtrack is wonderful, thanks to Poet of the Fall themes. It's not a survival, it's like a thrilled Max Payne, there are many collectibles and 3 different difficulty settings. The Pc edition containt the two DLC for free! Buy it, it's really worth it every single cent you spend on it. Expand
  17. Sep 5, 2013
    I have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded gameI have found the story to be the most amazing aspect of the game. At some points you will even feel like you are part of a movie. Surprisingly the driving scenes work really well and it almost feels like what you would expect from GTA 5. Fighting scenes can get very repetitive and once you are out of ammo it becomes almost impossible to continue. Overall I think it's a well rounded game with some great story telling aspects. Expand
  18. Sep 4, 2013
    Excellent story, gameplay and environment. You need to play this game at least for the story. Soundtrack is top class as well. One of the best games of modern times
  19. Aug 26, 2013
    A different experience that not everybody likes, but with manifold on games out there I'm glad that we still have... "different" games like Alan Wake. A truly enjoyable experience with an excellent story. Wish there would be more diverse enemies though.

All in all I can just urge you to try it out.
  20. Aug 26, 2013
    The story is just amazing. The atmosphere is well-done, the gameplay is a little bit repetitive at times but it's still good. A good PC port too. Amazing game.
  21. Aug 20, 2013
    An amazing game, very deep atmosphere and story, really good mix between music and action, with some jokes sometimes. One game that shines over others games from this generation, you'll remember it.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    I admit back when this first came out I was sucked in. Being a writer the idea of a world where a writer's own work appears to take on a life of it's own, however the story is far more complex than that.

Also, I am not one for horror games as usually they have terrible combat and at times aren't that creepy, however this is a game with a good combat system and able to be creepy without using gore. Afterall, darkness is one of the most primal of fears. It's well worth it's price for anyone looking for a deeply involving story and/or want to play a creepy game.
  23. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    A great story, a set of interesting characters, great graphics, handy controls, Rose, lots of compelling challenges and fair rewards, well-balanced cut-scenes... Alan Wake is a complete and unregrettable gaming experience you'll start missing as soon as the credits fade out. 9/10 need moar Rose.
  24. Jul 17, 2013
    People get irritated with the smallest sorts of mechanics and believe that just that ruins the entire game. This game was positively new to me. Everything about it was new. I have never played such a game, and I have got to say that I loved Alan Wake the game. The fact that Alan talks during the game more exciting. I love when a character is fully animated to even speak during game play.
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    When I started playing this game, I didn't like it at all. Very well the gameplay was fun, the game mechanics were very well thought up, but the game didn't catch me. It didn't make me think about it all day, and it didn't make me eager to play more (like, for example, Bioshock Infinite did). However, after sadly playing the first three episodes, things quickly became much much better. TheWhen I started playing this game, I didn't like it at all. Very well the gameplay was fun, the game mechanics were very well thought up, but the game didn't catch me. It didn't make me think about it all day, and it didn't make me eager to play more (like, for example, Bioshock Infinite did). However, after sadly playing the first three episodes, things quickly became much much better. The story finally became a bit clearer, and I got the idea I was actually chasing a goal now, instead of just shooting Taken and walking through levels in an ever darker night. After the game became interesting like that, I soon finished it. The ending was quite vague, but it did give a very good feeling (also because some parts of the game were exceptionally hard compared to the rest). And it appears that American Nightmare (which I bought it in a bundle with) explains the ending further and provides more backstory. The reason I give this a 9, is because of the really short game time. I finished the game on normal in 16 hours according to Steam, and to think that about a quarter of that is cutscenes, it doesn't really satisfy in that way. But when I look at the achievements for this game, I see reasons enough to do another, more exploring playthrough. Expand
  26. Jul 13, 2013
    I picked up this game on steam 90% off, thinking "even if it's bad, that's still a pretty damn good deal". And I was surprised how good this game is! I never played a ported game before, but I liked the controls, except the fact that you can't really walk straight (controller would solve this The graphics were just fine for a game from 2010, my PC handled it just great (HD 7870,I picked up this game on steam 90% off, thinking "even if it's bad, that's still a pretty damn good deal". And I was surprised how good this game is! I never played a ported game before, but I liked the controls, except the fact that you can't really walk straight (controller would solve this The graphics were just fine for a game from 2010, my PC handled it just great (HD 7870, eight-core, 12gigs RAM). The cinematics were catching, it was just like reading a good book or watching a good series, the playtime of 20 hours (the plain game, not the dlcs) made it worth the money. This game is worth the money and time. 9 outta 10! Expand
  27. Jul 1, 2013
    just the idea of the game is amazing and new and the story is the best with the perfect cinematic like every game from remedy entertainment this was the best on 2010 and the best on Xbox 360
  28. Jul 1, 2013
    Great storyline is the main advantage of the game. Graphics and audio are standing at a high level and cut-scenes, dialogue, characters, and the scenery doing really good experience.
  29. Jun 25, 2013
    A huge game. One of the bests I've ever played. A very-well written storyline, the really frightening and unique (light is everything) gameplay makes Alan Wake a must play for everyone who loves horror,action and game with good-stories.

Story: 10
    Gameplay:10
    Graphics: 9
    Sound: 10
  30. Jun 24, 2013
    I really enjoyed my play through Alan Wake. While it certainly wasn't a perfect experience, it was certainly a unique one and a memorable one at that. As an avid reader of King (having read every book he's ever written) I definitely felt the homage paid to him was well done. For instance, Barry Wheeler is one of the best King characters he's never written. On the other hand, the mainI really enjoyed my play through Alan Wake. While it certainly wasn't a perfect experience, it was certainly a unique one and a memorable one at that. As an avid reader of King (having read every book he's ever written) I definitely felt the homage paid to him was well done. For instance, Barry Wheeler is one of the best King characters he's never written. On the other hand, the main character Alan Wake and his wife didn't really do anything for me (Alan seems like a whiny little crap, and his wife is more of the same which lead me to have no real feeling of motivation to save her, etc.) This however didn't spoil my enjoyment of the game. Amazing atmosphere, story, pacing, the gameplay elements while relatively simple kept me engaged enough to enjoy playing it, but the main reason I kept coming back day after day was the to progress the story. All in all, I say well done and look forward to playing through American Nightmare in hopes of more in this vein. While it was an intensely linear experience, games of this type will really only work that way IMHO and I feel had it been more open ended it would have damaged the story elements which required a more straight forward approach. So hats off to Remedy for keeping it original, very cool, thanks for the experience! Expand
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    Alan Wake had great game play but what made this game outstanding was the story. The plot had so much suspense and i loved it every second i played. Probably the best horror game Ive played
  32. Jun 7, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performedFantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performed by the band Poets of the Fall, will find its way on to every nerd's iPod. My one complaint is the wonky controls on the mouse/keys. Probably much better with a controller. Definitely experience this game though. Expand
  33. Jun 1, 2013
    One of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexityOne of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexity and curiosity which left me wanting to continue with the game. However, despite the greatness of the game I can only give it a 9/10. I found at times the amount of enemies was overwhelming and it felt a bit repetitive after 6+ hours of simply walking through the dark shooting enemies constantly. I also felt like the AI (whenever you had somebody accompanying you) were awful at shooting enemies. Despite having partners helping you, the enemies ONLY attack you, and your partners actually kill perhaps 1/10 enemies.

Overall an amazing game and well worth the play-through! I also picked it up for £2.70 with 90% off on Steam this weekend which was a bargain!
  34. Feb 15, 2013
    There was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in theThere was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in the story of Alan Wake. Not only you get fun of reading another page of manuscript, listening to another radio show or watching episode on TV, but also you are taken by gameplay that is one of the most comfortable on XBOX360. That is one of the games that makes you think that you will replay it again long before the ending.
    I managed to complete all the achievements and played through the games three times. Thumbs up, Remedy! Unforgettable moment house container, where Alan is, is rolled by and thrown from the cliff.
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    Even Stephen King would not be ashamed with that quality of plot. Characters like from Twin Peaks deep and not obvious, perfect atmosphere and surroundings. My vote 10!
  36. Jan 31, 2013
    This game is awesome, it is story driven and linear which I really like, this is my first single player game that I bought with my own money, so it will always have sentimental value. The graphics are good, and I really like the unique stories, and the fact that you can dig deeper with the manuscripts. It has replay value for the collectibles, and I highly recommend it.
  37. Jan 2, 2013
    I just love this game. I think that that it's the best game ever made cause it's not just some normal horror game. The story telling is something new and the cinematic look it has is just so amazingly done! I just can't wait the next one!
  38. Dec 22, 2012
    Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before.Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before. Does that mean it's my favourite game? No. But even still it is a wonderful experience nonetheless. Even the fairly standard horror pacing and formula can't detract from this game, and so intricately tied to and interwoven with its plot the game really manages to tell a story while you battle shadow monsters with a Christmas light wearing sidekick (I am NOT making this up). While I am not a fan of the horror genre, and have never really read any Stephen King (to whom the tilts it's hat many times), the game was nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable. The only down-side to this interactive novel is that like a novel it is not immediately replayable. When you get to the last chapter, you don't feel any pressing need to start over again from the beginning, because what you have really enjoyed is not the thrill of the chase, being hunted by an insidious Lovecraftian shadow-demon, but the content of that story. But I think that is one negative we can all bear if games of this ilk were to become more common in the future. And really that actually makes the gameplay longer lasting easier to savour. Please Remedy, and ALL developers, give us more interactive novels, and less psychotically emotionless space marines killing freaking zombie demons from outer space. Expand
  39. Oct 7, 2012
    Me encanta; la presentación, la música, la historia,etc. Es básicamente protagonizar un cuento de Stephen King. Al avanzar mucho en el juego me di cuenta que me interesaba más en la historia que en la acción propiamente tal, lo único que deseaba era terminar rápido y continuar sabiendo que pasaba con la historia.
    La historia genial!
    La
    La historia genial!
    La jugabilidad se pude volver un tanto tediosa.
    La lucha en la granja de los anderson simplemente notable y épica.
    La música genial.
  40. Sep 24, 2012
    I just loved this game, really good story line (reminded me of Steven King), interesting and original gameplay (fight with light), and nice graphics. Everything a gamer desires.
  41. Sep 10, 2012
    This game gave probably one of the best stories to date. Something between 80's horror flick, Twin Peaks and Lost. Gameplay is also innovative. Only problem is lack of some kind of ingame map. Game is that good that no need parts to wonder around not knowing where to go. That's bad but not crucial as there is not too much situations where you can stuck.
  42. Sep 5, 2012
    I am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutesI am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutes to get used to, unless you have some sort of handicap c) linear, no levelups - do I even need to say why this is not a problem in this genre?

It saddens me deeply to see a considerable number of people who completely missed the point of the game, then came here to complain about issues that simply don't exist.

Alan Wake is the best purchase I've made in a very long time, so much so that I'm actually playing it with my wife who finds both the gameplay and the cutscenes engaging enough to watch and she does not play videogames.
  43. Sep 1, 2012
    I get motion sickness from a lot of FPS games, sadly, but eventually I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. Initially I wasn't fond of the camera view with Alan off to the right due to motion sickness. I played for about 5 minutes and had to stop. Now I can complete a whole "episode" and not get sick. The graphics are great and the whole flash light to weaken the darkness I reallyI get motion sickness from a lot of FPS games, sadly, but eventually I get used to it and it doesn't bother me. Initially I wasn't fond of the camera view with Alan off to the right due to motion sickness. I played for about 5 minutes and had to stop. Now I can complete a whole "episode" and not get sick. The graphics are great and the whole flash light to weaken the darkness I really like. I enjoy the fact that it is like watching a mini-tv series and yet you get to play it at the same time. I haven't played a game that is like that, so it is a nice change of pace. Expand
  44. Aug 18, 2012
    I know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer evenI know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer even with the settings at medium, and the dreadful soprano-style ending that spoiled what would have been a masterpiece; I just can't bring myself to rate this game perfect. The thing is that Alan Wake is - in so many areas - ahead of its time. It's that rare game that's more than the sum of its parts. The different aspects of the game, be it incredible graphics or near-flawless story-line, or even the true-to-life characters and voice-acting; are not just delivered with quality but implemented with a purpose, and every artistic aspect of the game successfully adds to the depth of the games artistic message. The game's horror atmosphere is one of the best, not stereotypical and predictable like Dead Space and other action/horror knockoffs. But the horror exists for a reason, the game's comedic moments exist for a reason, and the game's characters move and act for a purpose, and this purpose that so mysteriously and powerfully drives the game is something that almost no games have yet to find, and the purpose behind Alan Wake that sets it apart from the rest of the gaming scene. Alan Wake will grip you and take you down not only a path or horror but a journey that comes with it's own ups and downs. It's not a short one either, I lost 14 hours of my life to it. If I were to just rate Alan Wake as if it were a simple game, who's sole purpose is amusement, I'd give it around a 7, which is probably why the professional critic reviews of this game are what they are; but Alan Wake is far more than that. Alan Wake is an experience that needs experiencing, a true work of art. That's not something that can be described on a scale of 0-10. Other than the ending which seemed to entirely abandon the purpose and artistic message that had driven the plot for so long, this game is simply brilliant, and at times awe-inspiring. Expand
  45. Aug 14, 2012
    Exceptionally good story.Gameplay is fantastic.The soundtrack is also one of the best out there.Graphics are very good and its performance is good too.
  46. Aug 7, 2012
    10/10. This game, is a good console port!!! Good graphics for a console port :)!
    And its really cool story driven Thriller game, and its UNIQUE! I love it, full points to this game.

You should get this if you are intrested in a psychic triller action shooter which is fun, and also scary!
  47. Jul 19, 2012
    I bought Alan Wake not knowing what I was getting (Steam sale) Wow! What a game. The combat, world, music, atmosphere are all top notch. If you would like GTA4 with a more linear experience as a horror movie, with the most well done atmosphere .. ever .. than you will love this game.
  48. Jul 19, 2012
    I wanted to buy this game on xbox before it was even released. Now I get it on Steam during summer sale, I'm playing it with keyboard and mouse.
    Due to the massive drama scripts, fictions and movies I've read and watched, I can guess the ending of the story a bit in episode one, but the gameplay still chill my spine. There were moments that I can feel that all body hair are erected.
    The
    The scary moment is completely different from the other survival zombie games. Although the path is quite linear I find no reason for it to be a maze.
    I like the idea that there is no aim without the flashlight. That makes the feeling closer to reality. After all, you won't feel scary if you aren't "inside" the game.
    Sadly, my laptop does not meet the requirement for the highest graphic setting, or it will be perfect.
  49. May 31, 2012
    Alan Wake is one of the best games I have ever played. The storytelling is epic, The atmosphere takes one to the depths of Cauldron lake and the graphics are great. I hear people complaining about the fps being around 60, but that should be more than enough for anyone. Game is a bit too straight forward but the all the pros make up for those little cons. I wish that this game came toAlan Wake is one of the best games I have ever played. The storytelling is epic, The atmosphere takes one to the depths of Cauldron lake and the graphics are great. I hear people complaining about the fps being around 60, but that should be more than enough for anyone. Game is a bit too straight forward but the all the pros make up for those little cons. I wish that this game came to stores for PC earlier and there wouldn't have been X360 version. Crosshair being just the flashlight is one of the nicest details of the game. This game is not a FPS so there is no need for focused/zoom mode for shooting and I don't know what people are thinking about when they are wishing something like that for this masterpiece. If you want to play some FPS game with much shooting go buy your piece of Battlefield or COD this game is thriller a bit like Resident Evil Expand
  50. May 26, 2012
    If this game Doesn't get 10 points from me, not sure what would. Easily one of the best games I've played past 10 years. Story that gets you hooked from the beginning, One of the Best sound tracks in gaming ever.
    Looks and sounds nice, characters really well done. world is filled with so much detail.
  51. May 21, 2012
    This is called a piece of art!
    This is called a piece of art!
    Alan Wake is not yet_another_usual_game you'll play. It has all - a great psychological thriller story, wonderful dark atmosphere, great soundtrack and gameplay. You'll have a feeling that you're actually PLAYING the great episode of Twin Peaks. Focus is on storytelling, you'll not see a bunch of different enemies and wide arsenal of guns to play with. Action is straightforward, always shoot x many times to kill the enemy. Some people complains about this, but... it just fits this great game in every way - it's story driven game, not some action shooter. I'll start to spoil if i continue to write more about this game.
    Don't buy it if you don't plan to absorb every little thing it has to offer.
    The big 10 from me.
  52. May 17, 2012
    I heard so much good about Alan Wake, I decided to buy it. It has a decent, engaging story, that draws you in, however it's not very unique in my opinion. The reason for it, is that I read a lot of Stephen King and I'm generally into this twilight zone stuff, so I'm pretty familiar with the used elements which often feel like they have been recycled from different novels and tv shows. It'sI heard so much good about Alan Wake, I decided to buy it. It has a decent, engaging story, that draws you in, however it's not very unique in my opinion. The reason for it, is that I read a lot of Stephen King and I'm generally into this twilight zone stuff, so I'm pretty familiar with the used elements which often feel like they have been recycled from different novels and tv shows. It's not really a problem since Alan Wake does the recycling well. The uniqueness comes from the method of how the story is being told. I'm sure that this king of thing was never done in a video game before. I like how they chose the dramatic moments of the game and how the makers keep you in the dark (no pun intended), for a relatively long time before you understand every event that happens and feels confusing at the start. The atmosphere is strong but it's not as heavy and terrifying as other survival horrors in recent memory. The fight system is very well done and also brings something new to TPS games. My only complaint is that you have to be fast therefore have to turn fast which resulted in heavy headaches in my case. That is why it took me a week to play through this otherwise not very long game. You don't have to make any choices through the story, the off battle part is basically an interactive movie. I don't think it's a negative thing, but it felt like my hand was held the whole time.
    Technically it's a very good port. The graphics are awesome and there weren't any framerate issues on my 3 year old system. I was forced to play it with mouse and keyboard because the game didn't recognize my generic gamepad. I would recommend this game to players who prefer well written and engaging stories.
  53. May 16, 2012
    Alan Wake is an amazing game that balances action, survival, a little bit of horror, and a captivating storyline. I found the targeting/aiming system to be a bit hit and miss, but the game allows flexible movement which makes the experience gentler. The survival aspect of it is well thought out, but not always well executed. I never did run out of flashlight batteries, and always hadAlan Wake is an amazing game that balances action, survival, a little bit of horror, and a captivating storyline. I found the targeting/aiming system to be a bit hit and miss, but the game allows flexible movement which makes the experience gentler. The survival aspect of it is well thought out, but not always well executed. I never did run out of flashlight batteries, and always had enough ammunition to not worry. The horror aspect of it would have been greatly increased should either of those resources been just slightly less. Regardless, this is a game everyone should check out and play. It will not be a waste of your time. Expand
  54. May 15, 2012
    Alan Wake probably has the most intense and well structured storyline I've ever encountered in a game. It's absolutely amazing and has a decent gameplay too. I fell in love with it and I'll recommend this game to every gamer.
  55. May 9, 2012
    Love this game. Originally owned it on the 360 and upon hearing it was releasing on PC immediately re bought so i could do another play through. Game has one of the best stories ive seen in a video game, has very smooth controls, great graphics, and is very thrilling to play. Give it a shot you wont be disappointed.
  56. May 3, 2012
    Without a doubt the games main strength is its storyline, throughout the whole experience it never failed to have me in suspense thinking of what might happen next, sure the combat is a bit samey, but aren't all horror games? The graphics and sound quality are superb, can't fault them in anyway, looks stunning on my machine, got it day one and I don't regret this at all
  57. May 3, 2012
    What a beautiful masterpiece! A console port well done! The atmosphere of the game is absolutely brilliant and very believable! Just like Max Payne! It may be a bit repetitive but still a well made out PC game.
    -the-epikninja
  58. May 1, 2012
    This game sucked me in for three days... and I don't regret even one second spend in this masterpiece. It was like reading one of early King's works. Unique story, combat mechanics are enjoyable to (till) the end. Overall - 10 out of 10. There were some flaws, but that wasn't enough to spoil the fun.
  59. Apr 30, 2012
    Awesome game. I haven't played a quality game like this in a LONG time.
    Story, graphics, music, game-play, everything is perfectly fused together to make this masterpiece.
  60. Apr 28, 2012
    Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.

Combat in Alan Wake was nice and refreshing. It was a nice touch that you simply can't shoot your enemies, but have to decide how to take on a pack. While the selections of weapons in the game was modest, you could use them to great effect. I fell in love with the way dodging works in this game, and it made defensive evasion - something that people often overlook in favor of brute force - a pleasant skill to practice.

This game was long, and it was good. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a long time.
  61. Apr 19, 2012
    ** This is my own opinion on the game, It should be noted that these reviews aren't exactly completely trustworthy because of this. Alan Wake has a surprisingly strong game which outshines how linear it is. Alan Wake's strong story line is formatted in a way that keeps you interested throughout the game. The game looks good on my system with crisp graphics and nice lightning(Others have** This is my own opinion on the game, It should be noted that these reviews aren't exactly completely trustworthy because of this. Alan Wake has a surprisingly strong game which outshines how linear it is. Alan Wake's strong story line is formatted in a way that keeps you interested throughout the game. The game looks good on my system with crisp graphics and nice lightning(Others have noted problems for other computers but that may be a setup issue). The FOV feels a bit strained but it's not too bad. The use of the flashlight as a cross-hair adds a level of realism. The game-play is strong though later in the game combat starts to feel a bit repetitive in some parts. All together If you are a fan of Steven King, or just the horror/thriller genre in general you should pick up this game since its worth the time, effort and cash. Expand
  62. JvJ
    Apr 16, 2012
    This masterpiece is brillant. It's not just a game, it's more much than this. Just let it recount its story and you will not be disapointed. Give it a try, it worth it !
  63. Apr 13, 2012
    Great game and very good story and different gameplay mechanics, visually impressive on the highest settings... Remedy has still got it! But I must say, they will need to improve the formula if they want to make a sequel... At the end, I just wanted to know the end of the story, the gameplay became a bit predictable, but it was only at the end of this masterpiece that I had this feeling...
  64. Apr 6, 2012
    Remedy did an excellent job to make a very good quality PC-ver of their IP. I played in x-box ver. 2 years ago and now i was very impressed. Brilliant story, amazing town with details, forest and nature. Like the Taken's "pitch" voices and phrases :) It so unique, just love the game.
  65. Apr 5, 2012
    This isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting youThis isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting you catch your breath at just the right time. While the scares aren't quite inline with the likes of Silent Hill 2 the story and the pacing of Alan Wake won't disappoint and provides enough chills and thrills to keep you hooked. The only gripe I have is that it took me awhile to get use to the controls as they weren't very intuitive (I use a Windows 360 controller) and combat I also found using the mouse and keyboard rather weak and laggy, if you have a controller use it. I also found easy mode a bit too easy and normal mode way to hard, I can't imagine what hard difficulty is like. All in all Alan Wake is a great game and an a great port to the PC and if you like survival horror or 3D action games than you won't go wrong with this. Expand
  66. Apr 4, 2012
    great, the game makes you think even if Alan is this crazy or what happens is real, no doubt the game is worth, has a great thriller and even being linear, there's that sense of limitation in the game. fantastic. Downside? perhaps the lack of diversity of enemies that is, we have only one type of enemy, which turns out to be nothing more nauseating way it spoils the game.
  67. Mar 25, 2012
    Very good story, captures and captivates. It makes you want to move on. Personally one of the best "survival horror" I've played.
    + The graphics do not look but not far behind.
    + The music composition is very good.
    + The gameplay of this game is aimed at control but you can play well with keyboard-mouse.
    Recommended.

(translated by google)
  68. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best game i ever played. I loved every moment in this game. The story, the graphic are so good. Game of the Year 2012.
  69. Mar 24, 2012
    Alan Wake surprised me and went way beyond my expectations. What really made the game stand out and kept me playing was the engaging story and fun characters. Not to belittle the gameplay, which is more than sufficient, but this is a game where you continue to play to find out what happens next. My only real complaints are that the camera sticks a little too close to your character andAlan Wake surprised me and went way beyond my expectations. What really made the game stand out and kept me playing was the engaging story and fun characters. Not to belittle the gameplay, which is more than sufficient, but this is a game where you continue to play to find out what happens next. My only real complaints are that the camera sticks a little too close to your character and difficulty is inconsistent at times. Expand
  70. Mar 24, 2012
    Remedy proves once again that it is one of the best teams of developers on the market. Great story routed in the convention show, believable characters, and finally a very good audio visual setting makes Alan Wake the unique gme. An additional plus for references to the work S.King and Twin Peaks.
  71. Mar 24, 2012
    I truly enjoyed playing through Alan Wake. I'll break it down for you. The storyline was fantastic and fresh; well-written for a game of this type. The setting was beautiful! If not for all of the thrills, I would have loved to pitch a tent and camp in the mountains. The characters were well developed enough for you to care for them, and make the story-telling worthwhile, but not asI truly enjoyed playing through Alan Wake. I'll break it down for you. The storyline was fantastic and fresh; well-written for a game of this type. The setting was beautiful! If not for all of the thrills, I would have loved to pitch a tent and camp in the mountains. The characters were well developed enough for you to care for them, and make the story-telling worthwhile, but not as developed as I would have liked. I enjoyed the episodic format and opportunities to enjoy the great soundtrack - with both new and old artists; I even bought a couple of tracks on iTunes afterward. The core gameplay concept is very unique, but at times difficult to master.

The weak points were predictable moments of attack from enemies, and repetitious attacks. Some suspense-building instead of constant suspense would have been nice. The control system was definitely designed for a joypad, so I recommend using a 360 controller or getting a 360 controller emulator for your existing joypad; play the game as it was designed to be played. Also, there are unreasonable difficulty spikes that made me feel I had to cheat the battle system to get through a segment instead of enjoying close-calls and bare success.

It's clear that Alan Wake was not micro managed by Microsoft and was developed free from a heavy hand. It feels very much like a game made by a small studio, so the weaknesses and strengths that go along with that show in the game. I recommend you give it a try!
  72. Mar 21, 2012
    This is a great game!
    There is a gimmick to it, but it is not bad at all. Feels a lot like the old Max Payne games because it is the same studio, but totally different atmosphere than Max Payne. This game makes extensive use of light and shadow and it will definitely frighten you.
    This is a great game!

Once you get the hang of the gameplay then it should be fairly easy to get through all but the toughest areas. The scenery is a joy to behold and is some of the best I've seen in awhile. If there is one thing that remedy does well then it is developing the atmosphere to make you feel like you are really in the game, Alan Wake is no different, great atmosphere, great story, and I really felt myself wanting to play more to evolve the story.

I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the "bad guys", but that goes the same for nearly every game. The way that the story presents the characters makes the whole thing very believable. Basically, it feels like you are playing a Stephen King novel, and that is a pretty high compliment. There is no sex or depravity like in King novels, but plenty of frightening scenes and lots of malevolent creatures.

Being your flashlight!
  73. Mar 18, 2012
    When i started playing i was sceptic, but i soon changed mt mind. From a technical point of view, Alan Wake is good but not excellent. But the story, the setting, and the main character are simply fantastic. The plot contains plenty twists, it is always intriguing and exciting and Alan's madness is almost touchable.
    Another point of strenght of this game is the enormous number of details
    Another point of strenght of this game is the enormous number of details and cure that the developers had.
    Everything is designed for an immersive game: The manuscript pages, Night Springs series, pictures and paintings, radio programme...
    Also music is a positive element, it's perfectly choosen, and i can't forget the "Old gods of asgard", whose songs was written by the Poets Of The Fall.
    Not a perfect game (the fighting mechanism is boring), but a Must-have for who likes thriller and horror games and want to try something different, more original and "Serious" than a flat survival horror such as Resident Evil or Silent Hill.
  74. Mar 17, 2012
    Finally some fresh air in gaming industry producing very atmospheric and intrigating adventure. Gameplay itself is a little bit repetitive killing same type of enemies over and over again but this is not type of game where some pure skills are required. It's just to keep you ''awake'' letting you know that danger is around there stalking your next move. Storyline tho is quiet amazing,Finally some fresh air in gaming industry producing very atmospheric and intrigating adventure. Gameplay itself is a little bit repetitive killing same type of enemies over and over again but this is not type of game where some pure skills are required. It's just to keep you ''awake'' letting you know that danger is around there stalking your next move. Storyline tho is quiet amazing, deffinitely better than 90% of movies i've watched actually. Well, i need to add that Alan's pal Barry is one of the best characters ingame i've seen in a long time. When you heard him for first time you can get an idea that he's some egoistic manager who's keep calling Alan just because of moneymaking policy but as story goes on he's becoming a real friend who will die for you. His voice acting and the way he act overall reminds me somehow on Joe Pesci. : ) Overall it's a very very good product which doesnt require some crazy skill and storyline with it's atmosphere will get you after first 20 seconds. Expand
  75. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the story of the game and to fight with light was fun, even if the story was a little strange twisted sometimes. I liked the machines going after you and to hunt them down. Altogether there were some nice ideas in it. The graphics are pretty nice, only the controls were annoying sometimes. Expand
  76. Mar 13, 2012
    This game may be a console port, but there are lots of things done right in this game! The story is amazing! It gets the player really involved and the atmosphere adds to spooky feeling which this game delivers very well! The combat is excellent! The slow motion effects don't make this game easy also there is limited ammo to carry based on how powerful they are which feels balanced. TheThis game may be a console port, but there are lots of things done right in this game! The story is amazing! It gets the player really involved and the atmosphere adds to spooky feeling which this game delivers very well! The combat is excellent! The slow motion effects don't make this game easy also there is limited ammo to carry based on how powerful they are which feels balanced. The graphics have only improved on the textures, but its effect is still really well presented. But, this game isn't perfect. Auto Aim is permanently on and you can't go straight on to Nightmare mode which means the game treats the player like a noob from the start. Also, you cannot max out the graphics settings which is not surprising because it is a console port. Overall, this game is a good example of the effort developers need to put into making a console port, but it is because it's a console port that limits the game on PC. This game is on Steam and I recommend getting this one purely on the experience and story. Expand
  77. Mar 9, 2012
    this game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game withthis game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game with pc players feed back and what they would like in the game i hope remedy carry on making more alan wake games for the pc Expand
  78. Mar 7, 2012
    Being a massive fan of supernatural drama, I was immediately drawn to Alan Wake and bought the Limited Collector's Edition at launch.

The game involves a writer trying to understand why a book he can't remember writing is coming to life. The action comes thick and fast, and the narration by the lead character makes you feel more attune to the world constructed by Remedy. As you go through the storyline, you meet a whole host of characters, ranging from mad to simply disagreeable, but all of them have a place to be and a purpose to serve. The story is well put together, with collectables strewn all over the town for those who want to look a little deeper.

If you want a game that hails from the greatest horror authors and makes the concepts work, buy Alan Wake. As a side note, it's one of the few games on 360 that has never received a patch. :)
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    Great game and pretty good port, runs great on my laptop with maxed settings @720. The game starts off a little slow but it really starts to pick up a few hours in. I thought Alan Wake was going to be a horror game but I was wrong, it's more of an action game and it's not very scary. The story is very good and the action and scripted sequences are excellent. I'm really glad this cameGreat game and pretty good port, runs great on my laptop with maxed settings @720. The game starts off a little slow but it really starts to pick up a few hours in. I thought Alan Wake was going to be a horror game but I was wrong, it's more of an action game and it's not very scary. The story is very good and the action and scripted sequences are excellent. I'm really glad this came to the PC and $30. Over 15 hours of intense play is well worth it and I'm sure I will play it again in the future. A must buy for any action fan! Expand
  80. Mar 5, 2012
    I love games like civilization V,and shogun, I hate thrillers, I hate Horror, This is my only exception. I gave it a 10 because of what it has, it has a good story, the background, and setting is amazing, on Steam, they have collector edition bundle for $35 dollars, I love it, I go to bed with a flashlight beside me (so to speak). I have entered a unending night, I love Alan wake, as soonI love games like civilization V,and shogun, I hate thrillers, I hate Horror, This is my only exception. I gave it a 10 because of what it has, it has a good story, the background, and setting is amazing, on Steam, they have collector edition bundle for $35 dollars, I love it, I go to bed with a flashlight beside me (so to speak). I have entered a unending night, I love Alan wake, as soon as american nightmare comes on PC, I almost want a Xbox so I can play American Nightmare sooner... I would say that this is the 2nd best game I played, and a major time sink, but then again, if i am sinking, might as go down with the ship! I will encourage (and yell at you) to buy this game, it is not horror, it is not a thriller, it is the best game I have played that is a shooter. I also love, how it pays respect to the whole horror genre, I don't like horror as I said but man! I may reconsider just to enjoy this game more! If i were you I would be at the checkout already. I would of paid double, or more for this game, I can say that with a Bible on my hand, under oath. Best game you can buy...If you like Uncharted, or third-person shooters this is a must! Also, I am planning on buying all the books, all of the guides, everything, just to help support this game, I may even buy the clock! I would be a lot more of a critic on this game if I had not played it, NOTE: I am buying a Razer Xbox controller so I can have the best PC experience I can! A couple people will whine about how "this thing is wrong, this tree has bad textures" i took a chance on this game, and I will NEVER regret it! Love this game, and I can't say that about a lot, or maybe a few... Expand
  81. Mar 4, 2012
    Awesome game! Good PC version, no problems! great sory, gameplay and graphics but the ending was weak and the game could get repetitive. Overall worth buying 85/100
  82. Mar 4, 2012
    Among the best games for pc as a single player experience so far this year. Although it could be tweaked a little more, specially the run/evade key being the same, there's not much more you can ask for a game like this.
    a solid 9. Enjoy this jewel!
  83. Mar 2, 2012
    FINALLY ON PC, its about damn time.

This is in my top 10 games of all time easily, the play on not just having to survive madmen but the force of pure darkness is something that has stirred the minds of people all over who have played this game, including myself. The darker nature of this game, delving into nightmares, the atmosphere, the intensity, all of the side stories which tie into
    FINALLY ON PC, its about damn time.

The darker nature of this game, delving into nightmares, the atmosphere, the intensity, all of the side stories which tie into the theme of madness and the book pages to collect make the games replay value quite high even though not a true â
  84. Mar 2, 2012
    hahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to playhahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to play and one of the best games i had the pleasure of playing. People complaining are all noobs who dont know how to configure their pc's to play it. And for those who complain about the design choices, go play COD with your awesome FOV and awesome gunplay where a knife is more powerful than a gun. Please. ALAN WAKE FTW! thank you remedy for this amazing game! hopefully youll stay pc now and show these console people how to make real games. Expand
  85. Feb 27, 2012
    Okay, okay... The performance in this game is a bit problematic for some people (I'm running ok in an old HD4850 512mb. Indeed: It could be more optimized). But what I'm reading in most comments is "my top end rig doesn't run this game @60fps all the time". C'mon!! Did you guys tried to play and understand the history? And one more thing: This IS NOT a FPS and Alan Wake is not a soldier.Okay, okay... The performance in this game is a bit problematic for some people (I'm running ok in an old HD4850 512mb. Indeed: It could be more optimized). But what I'm reading in most comments is "my top end rig doesn't run this game @60fps all the time". C'mon!! Did you guys tried to play and understand the history? And one more thing: This IS NOT a FPS and Alan Wake is not a soldier. The gameplay is very good, the history and environment deserves a 10.
    Because the lacks of optimization in the engine I'd give an 9, but there are many people giving 0 because they were expecting an godlike Alan Wake with fps like controls or are just pissed because their new PC don't run 60 fps all the time (OMG, it goes down to 45fps... seriously?)... Because of them, I'm giving 10.
  86. Feb 26, 2012
    Have you ever felt like giving a character in a game a hug to reassure and comfort them? That is how I felt at one point early in the game.

Highly recommended if you like the story driven kind of game.
  87. Feb 25, 2012
    Really great game, a solid masterpiece. I think it's one of my all time favourites ever (and I'm middle-aged gamer). Also I'm once again happy that I play games only on PC. Thank's Remedy!
  88. Feb 24, 2012
    My PC was told it couldn't handle this game (by the game itself), but it still could. Not maxed out, but at a very enjoyable level (perfectly ported to PC). Anyway, combat can get a bit repetitive, although the story is so great it will most probably keep you going. This game can really suck you in. It could be the awesome aftertaste I'm having right now, but I'd say this will be a classicMy PC was told it couldn't handle this game (by the game itself), but it still could. Not maxed out, but at a very enjoyable level (perfectly ported to PC). Anyway, combat can get a bit repetitive, although the story is so great it will most probably keep you going. This game can really suck you in. It could be the awesome aftertaste I'm having right now, but I'd say this will be a classic on a par with The Endless Journey.

There is no BS with the storyline, the game play or anything else. This is an honest game, and good. It's about time we see some serious writing in video games. I hope they make a sequel or two.
  89. Feb 24, 2012
    Amazing game!! The world needs more games like this!! Totally worth the money!! I am really glad this game was made for PC. I have to thanks Remedy out of my heart for such a awsome game.
  90. Feb 23, 2012
    Pleasantly suprised with this game. I'm a big chicken when it comes to the survival/horror genre (I literally couldn't finish amnesia b/c I thought I was going to have a panic attack), and this game scared me quite a few times. The best part of this game is the "breaks" in scariness where you go around during the daytime advancing the story. This allowed me time for my nerves to calm downPleasantly suprised with this game. I'm a big chicken when it comes to the survival/horror genre (I literally couldn't finish amnesia b/c I thought I was going to have a panic attack), and this game scared me quite a few times. The best part of this game is the "breaks" in scariness where you go around during the daytime advancing the story. This allowed me time for my nerves to calm down and I was able to continue the story. Too many games forget to do this and I greatly appreciated it. The story is very interesting imo, and I played for a solid three days to finish the game. The combat isn't anything special, but it's still fun and challenging at times. Honestly the only problem I have with the game is the spoilers built into the manuscript system. You find pages of the story you are writing throughout the game. The catch is that sometimes you find pages that haven't happened in the game yet... So when you read them it gives away a scene of the game that you will be seeing some point in the future of the episode you are in. It's kind of hard to explain, but if you don't like spoilers then don't read the manuscript pages until after you are finished with the episode that you found them in. (If you're in episode 2 it's safe to read the pages from episode 1, etc.) The game is a must buy if you like suspenseful/horror titles. Expand
  91. Feb 22, 2012
    A beautiful arrangement heavily inspired by Twin Peaks, Stephen King, The Twilight Zone and numerous other definitive classics from the horror and suspense genre. Truly mind-bending and enjoyable.

No performance issues. Running on a Radeon 6850 1GB GDDR5 and it runs maxed without a hiccup. The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and

The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and mouths in cut scenes are odd. Alan's mouth sometimes opens too big and looks weird when he is surprised and once in a great while there is some weird body language, but none of this is egregious or frequent enough to detract significantly from the story, and is more than likely a symptom of the fact that it was originally made for a console.

The voice acting and the soundtrack are always spot-on. An extremely memorable and enjoyable story and experience all around. Worth it even if you only play through it once.
  92. Feb 22, 2012
    The story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although theyThe story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although they have made the difficulty levels harder for this release. Game comes with all the DLC already installed, so a lot of value with this one. Expand
  93. Feb 22, 2012
    Well, it's one of the best Action-Thriller-Adventures of the X360 NOW and FINALLY on PC, but not a simple port, rather than a great improved version from a graphical perspective as well as additional content (both DLC episodes "The Signal" + "The Writer" included) and PC exclusive features (3D mode and multi screen support). Very well done, Remedy!
  94. Feb 21, 2012
    Amazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it andAmazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it and survive. It's TV mini-series style presentation is also very well done. You really do feel like you are playing a supernatural TV series. The overall effect is an addictive game that you enjoy playing, that keeps you guessing as to what's going on and what's going to happen next. If you like suspenseful horror or supernatural entertainment , then you are going to like Alan Wake. Yes, this game is a console port, however the PC version is far better looking than its console counterpart. Seeing them side by side really drives this point home. If you are going to port a game to PC from an inferior console, this is how you do it. Higher resolutions, higher fidelity, and DX10 features that no console can touch. Kudos to the developer for a proper port. The game played fantastic on my gaming system. AMD 1090T at 4.1GHz, XFX DD Radeon 7950 BE, 16GB DDR3 1600. Running a live broadcast via X-Fire through the entire game. No problems from the game at all. Very happy with my purchase and the gaming experience. So not only do I highly recommend Alan Wake, I suggest you play it at night, in the dark, with the volume turned up and in its full HD+ splendor. This way you can properly enjoy the dark side of Bright Falls. Expand
  95. Feb 21, 2012
    Incredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price youIncredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price you probably need more than 10/10 rank. Great work Remedy. Expand
  96. Feb 20, 2012
    I was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in theI was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in the 360, its visually stunning. It includes a lot of visual settings to adjust the game according to your hardware, not to mention that unlike some other games, you can adjust FOV in Alan Wake.
    And yes, i repeat this is a perfect conversion, not a ''port'' because i think that word is an insult to this game

This game brought good memories of games such as Max Payne, SH, Heavy Rain and RE4 in terms of atmosphere, which is one of the things that Remedy managed to achieve perfectly.

What i liked: +Storyline and characters
    +The Atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes
    +The graphics
    +Gameplay
    +Soundtracks

What i didn't like:
    Nothing really, i pretty much enjoyed every moment in this game, i loved how you are constantly under a lot pressure. It makes it very challenging.

On a side note, i highly recommend buying this, but most importantly, the Collector's Bundle which includes the soundtrack, dev commentary, and a PDF book which contains 130 pages. This is my first contender for GOTY 2012.
    (MUST BUY) - This game has the Chapa9DJ seal of approval, so go now and buy it. Support the devs for bringing this masterpiece to PC.

My Rating: 11/10 ... and i'm not exaggerating. Get it now or the darkness will get you.
  97. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is long-overdue, and was worth the wait, Alan Wake is intense, and always has you on the edge of your seat, it makes you feel sorry for Alan and keeps you wondering how the story will evolve and progress, feels like Silent Hill and Resident Evil had a beautiful baby. It also has humor and some references to the real world that will make you smile, or remember a line or a sceneThis game is long-overdue, and was worth the wait, Alan Wake is intense, and always has you on the edge of your seat, it makes you feel sorry for Alan and keeps you wondering how the story will evolve and progress, feels like Silent Hill and Resident Evil had a beautiful baby. It also has humor and some references to the real world that will make you smile, or remember a line or a scene from a movie or tv show.

If you can get this game, you will NOT be disappointed!
  98. Feb 19, 2012
    I waited this game so long... And now I can say this is one of the best game I've ever played. Super graphic, very, very nice story and so on. I like this game so much! 10/10
    I am big fan of this game!!!
  99. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from XboxThis game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from Xbox 360, so I pirated it and it is a perfect port. However I somehow lost my save when the game crashes and when I closed it. Which is why I'm going to buy it so I can finish the game off. Even though I spent an entire day on it. So is this game worth buying? Yes. If you want an entertaining storyline with voice acting and writing and environment chaos and something different then buy this game. It's worth it. (I don't want to say too much since it'll spoil it.) Expand
  100. Feb 19, 2012
    The story is engaging at first, then it sucks you in. Game-play is like Max Payne, but with a flashlight, with dire consequences This is a mix I hope many developers follow. I didn't expect anything less from remedy. You guys keep pushing the develop in deep storytelling and content. We love you.

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012