Alan Wake PC

8.0

1. May 20, 2017
    It's a shame Alan Wake is longer available for retail or online purchase, due to "expiring music licenses" (Thanks capitalism!) It's easily in the same class as any other Remedy title, and honestly, it's probably in a class above. What would be an inferior third-person shooter to their previous series, the Max Payne games, is instead a thrilling tale of cinematic suspense and characterIt's a shame Alan Wake is longer available for retail or online purchase, due to "expiring music licenses" (Thanks capitalism!) It's easily in the same class as any other Remedy title, and honestly, it's probably in a class above. What would be an inferior third-person shooter to their previous series, the Max Payne games, is instead a thrilling tale of cinematic suspense and character development. I am sorry I never looked into the series before now. It features great pacing, quality voice acting, passably good driving sections, and if nothing else, really satisfyingly loud gun sounds.The facial animations haven't aged well these past years, but that's hardly a major shortcoming.

You take the role of the titular character, a crime fiction writer from NYC with possibly the worst case of writer's block on record. Wake has come to Bright Falls, Washington with his photographer wife Alice on vacation, in an attempt to clear his head, but within hours finds his wife missing, his car wrecked, the cabin he was to stay in vanished without a trace and a week's time gone by with no memory of such to speak of. What's worse, a malign force now stalks him through the night, wielding the shadows themselves as its weapon.

The light is your friend in Alan Wake, and there is precious little of it to go around. As in Left 4 Dead and many other games, light sources often mark your path, and many of them not only function as checkpoints but quickly replenish your otherwise painfully slow to regenerate health. Your enemies are shielded by darkness itself, and only your trusty flashlight can strip their defense before you go for the kill, using the sorts of guns you'd find lying around a rural community: police revolvers, hunting shotguns and rifles. Also at your disposal are two kinds of flares and flashbangs, with one kind of flare being fired from a flare gun and acting in essence as a grenade launcher.

Mechanically, the game is fairly formulaic: You move from checkpoint to checkpoint, blasting bad guys and pushing the occasional switch or button to open a door or something that might as well be a door. But your enemies are dangerous enough, and the characters believable enough, that you forget you are going through the motions of an oughts-era console shooter- and yes, I know it orignally released in 2010. The episodic format of the game greatly helps with the pacing, and it has some really great twists, especially in the bonus episodes: however you think the plot might turn out when you begin, it will likely defy your expectations. It also ends up being a lot harder then it initially feels, even on the easiest difficulty you will have a lot of near misses and scrapes, and this I recommend for a first play through- Alan Wake actually suffers from some balancing problems and it's a little to easy to get completely overwhelmed in the blink of an eye and ruthlessly beat to death. The dodge move is essentially broken, largely working only when it wants to, and your sprint duration is extremely limited, ensuring that you will rarely have the opportunity to avoid a fight. On the other hand, you are often given more supplies then you think you need- this is because you actually need all of it, so don't be afraid to use a flashbang or flare whenever you are cornered, as you are likely to find more.

If you did not have the good fortune to get this game before it was pulled from the Steam store, I highly encourage you to dig up a used Xbox 360 copy or secondhand key if you can find one, as it is definitely worth your time.
  2. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    A great story, a set of interesting characters, great graphics, handy controls, Rose, lots of compelling challenges and fair rewards, well-balanced cut-scenes... Alan Wake is a complete and unregrettable gaming experience you'll start missing as soon as the credits fade out. 9/10 need moar Rose.
  3. Oct 7, 2014
    Very interesting and memorable piece. I love the setting, Bright Falls is truly one of the most beautiful locations I have visited in a video game, seriously, I want to live there! I enjoyed the mystery, the overall book/writer concept, finding manuscript pages and reading your own story, music was fantastic, not just the instrumentals, but also used songs in radio broadcasts as they addedVery interesting and memorable piece. I love the setting, Bright Falls is truly one of the most beautiful locations I have visited in a video game, seriously, I want to live there! I enjoyed the mystery, the overall book/writer concept, finding manuscript pages and reading your own story, music was fantastic, not just the instrumentals, but also used songs in radio broadcasts as they added additional flavour and ended each episode perfectly. I can feel the Twin Peaks influence and that's always a good thing as that is by far my favourite series of all time. Overall I can say I loved this game in it's concept, but unfortunately, I had one huge problem with it. The core mechanic of the gameplay is basically a regular third person shooter. Yes, it's at least interesting that it's not normal shooting, but rather illuminating darkness with light, but it's still basically shooting all over, and as there is no save/load you often repeat sections shooting and shooting and shooting all those enemies again and again, it's so boring, so repetitive, so annoying. It's a pity that all the beauty this game has to offer is being held back by all this tedious shooting. I still loved it, because I simply focused on the story and the atmosphere and overlooked the boring combat, but it was annoying nevertheless, I hope that if there is ever a sequel, or whatever Remedy creates as their next game, that they will use their indisputable talent in better ways, less shooting and more of the good stuff, atmosphere, exploration, writing, adventure. I know Remedy comes from Max Payne and that was the alpha & omega of shooting, but that was cool 15 years ago, shooting is boring, it's time to move on, Remedy. 8/10 Expand
  4. Jan 13, 2013
    Alan Wake, the Stephen King made-for-TV series that never was, or; Dead Space in the woods... kind of. I really enjoyed this game, it certainly kept me hooked for the 9 hours it took to complete (DLC and expansion notwithstanding). The game is set out and presented as if it was a TV series, with many nods to well-known horror tropes. The majority of gameplay sees the player fighting offAlan Wake, the Stephen King made-for-TV series that never was, or; Dead Space in the woods... kind of. I really enjoyed this game, it certainly kept me hooked for the 9 hours it took to complete (DLC and expansion notwithstanding). The game is set out and presented as if it was a TV series, with many nods to well-known horror tropes. The majority of gameplay sees the player fighting off the Taken (shadow men) with a torch ...er, flashlight ... and pistol, collecting manuscript pages (which foreshadow later events), Thermos flasks (why?). and solving rudimentary puzzles. Overall this stuff is fairly casual and easy, which is fine, because in my head all it was there to do was to advance the plot. Good stuff all around then, but the ending left me kind of unsatisfied but with lots of room for a sequel (addressed in the episodic DLCs). Before I forget, extra points for this PC port, which frankly, I think we were lucky to have. Oh, and good writing! Expand
  5. Jun 22, 2013
    A very enjoyable game with a great story and interesting game play. Only thing that holds it back from a top score is that it does tend to get a bit repetitive in combat.
  6. Jul 16, 2017
    Alan Wake brings out the horrors lurking in the darkness of Bright Falls in almost every scene, creating an intriguing story strengthened by impeccable pacing.
  7. Nov 17, 2013
    I don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlightI don't scare easily and while Alan Wake didn't scare me outright, it provided a constant state of creepiness that was continuously chilling. The characters and story along with the storytelling are awesome. The graphics, photography, and camera work are stunning. The one major blemish is the gameplay which isn't all that bad, it just isn't all that good either. However using a flashlight to fight off the darkness is a pretty cool concept and the execution comes off pretty nicely. Although I have to admit the game didn't draw me in to play non-stop from start to finish--ultimately starting the game in September and not actually finishing it until November.

So what is it about Alan Wake that makes it so standoffish? Well for starters, the gameplay starts to get repetitiously dull. Some of the forest paths are really long laying ground for more hordes of Taken than one person can deal with before it just becomes mundane. It is kind of broken up with some areas to explore in between, but it wasn't enough. The other aspect which may sound weird is that I never really felt like I took the role as Alan Wake. Instead it felt more like I was just moving the story forward and watching Alan unfold as opposed to being a part of critical decisions. Fortunately the chapters are broken up very nicely into roughly two hour segments with good musical intermissions allowing players whatever amount of time they need before jumping into the next chapter.

Overall, a fantastic game and a must play in my book.
  8. Sep 10, 2015
    I admit back when this first came out I was sucked in. Being a writer the idea of a world where a writer's own work appears to take on a life of it's own, however the story is far more complex than that.
  9. Sep 10, 2012
    This game gave probably one of the best stories to date. Something between 80's horror flick, Twin Peaks and Lost. Gameplay is also innovative. Only problem is lack of some kind of ingame map. Game is that good that no need parts to wonder around not knowing where to go. That's bad but not crucial as there is not too much situations where you can stuck.
  10. Jun 29, 2014
    General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant.General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant. Great Twin Peaks/David Lynch atmosphere with psychological horror that literally chilled my spine. As a writer this game is ultimately appealing and greatly appreciated. While there is little reason to replay other than to relive the story (which I for one will do in about a year or so) there are collectibles and achievements galore here. Remedy did a great job with the game but a sequel would be difficult though not implausible I would love for this to have a real follow up (American Nightmare is more like a DLC) but only if the quality of the narrative can be maintained.

TL;DNR: 9: A great psychological horror/survival game with a very strong narrative and unique game play. For those who enjoy and value strong stories within their games and enjoy things by David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...) then this is a must play.

Technology/engine: 8: Runs very smoothly and is well optimized for PC.

AI: 7: The AI is well developed but a bit predictable.

Graphics: 7: The graphics a decent although texture qualities are mix and the character models are dated. The set pieces, however, are great - heavily detailed, great art style, and creates a depth of immersion and atmosphere that many games seem to ignore.

Sound: 10: The sound in this game is very well developed with lots of depth and variability in ambient sound and combat sounds are spot on.

Soundtrack: 9: Great soundtrack with well chosen episodic theme songs at the end of each of its 6 episodes and great music throughout that fits the action and the intensity of the moment and really adds to the games pacing as well as atmosphere.

Voice acting: 8: Most of the voice acting is well done and convincing although there are moments where it fades into the acceptable range. Never the less, its minor acting issues do not really detract from its story nor its immersion.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: N/A

Game play systems: 9: The game play in Alan Wake is well developed and fun with a good mix of occasional splashes of reward exploration (at times the exploration for hidden caches of resources may not be a good choice and the intensity of that decision comes through very well), game relevant puzzles of sorts (more like just dangerous tasks really), wonderful use of light as a weapon, and all around just a fun game.

Controls: 10: This is a PC port done right. The controls are excellent and can be rebound to any key. The controls are simple and clean and are quickly picked up.

Story: 10: Very well written and very well executed. A David Lynch style story that really pulls you in and makes you care about Bright Falls and its inhabitants as well as the Alan and his buddy Barry. If you like David Lynch's work you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Multiplayer: N/A
  11. Dec 17, 2015
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  12. Oct 29, 2016
    Pretty great psychological thriller with suprbly done atmosphere. Runs decently on PC aswell, but not without problems. Like you cant disable AA from in game, if you force it off then grass starts looking weird and overall for me it was pretty hard getting even over 40 fps on not the highest settings. Visualy game can look stunning, which is being helped by impressive lighting and fogPretty great psychological thriller with suprbly done atmosphere. Runs decently on PC aswell, but not without problems. Like you cant disable AA from in game, if you force it off then grass starts looking weird and overall for me it was pretty hard getting even over 40 fps on not the highest settings. Visualy game can look stunning, which is being helped by impressive lighting and fog effects, still havent seen a game that does it better to create an eerie atmoshpere. Textures tho look pretty weak, like out from a game that was a Xbox 360 launch title not a 2010 game, which goes to say Remedy nor the porting developer didnt do their best when it comes to PC version. Character models however look nice and much better in game than in the cut scenes which also lack lip syncing finesse. Alan's animations are very wonky and floaty which i didnt like. Gameplay where you must use a flashlight in combo with a gun works really well and feels precise.

Story wise game does great screwing around with your and Alan's mind trying to understand what the hell is going and whats what. Where it got disappointing was the ending and the DLC's that were released to fix it didnt do that great of a job.

If youre looking for a horror agme Alan Wake will disappoint you. I say that becuz i mostly see people calling it a horror game. ITS NOT ! This game is all about the atmosphere and psychological aspects of the story. If you like that sorta stuff youll enjoy it, I certainly did.
  13. Feb 20, 2012
    When I saw this was a microsoft game. I honestly reset my expectations to expect something a very linear and probably quite corny. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by AW. The game has some enhancement for the PC. Things like the crippling FOV you see on many console ports are not a problem here. The game is enjoyable and atmospheric. It is very linear but then due to the nature ofWhen I saw this was a microsoft game. I honestly reset my expectations to expect something a very linear and probably quite corny. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by AW. The game has some enhancement for the PC. Things like the crippling FOV you see on many console ports are not a problem here. The game is enjoyable and atmospheric. It is very linear but then due to the nature of the game this is to be expected, the linear nature of the game is not to the point where you dont feel in control and it plays very well. The location are is good although the game could bear some better textures it is generally very pretty. I have seen many complaints here and on steam about poor performance but I play using a quadfire so have not experienced this problem. However, I have encountered a stonking great bug in the final episodes of the game which prevent me from completing the game. Basically the script seems to have broken down. Required taken dont spawn and an event which is required for progression will not start. A very disappointing end to a game I was enjoying immensely. (Playtime approx 20-25 hours.) Overall, I would say a bit short but due to the atmosphere, story and environment in general I would say this would have been a very good buy for the 20 Euro I paid on steam if it didnt have this cataclysmic bug in my save game. Expand
  14. Feb 17, 2012
    Alan wake on the pc is well made port.There are some performance quirks however and hopefully get they patched out. The game controls well, instead of it playing like a traditional crosshair based third person game, you aim with the flashlight. The movement of the flashlight is not as 1:1 instant as a first person shooter, however it controls surprisingly smoothly considering. The story isAlan wake on the pc is well made port.There are some performance quirks however and hopefully get they patched out. The game controls well, instead of it playing like a traditional crosshair based third person game, you aim with the flashlight. The movement of the flashlight is not as 1:1 instant as a first person shooter, however it controls surprisingly smoothly considering. The story is fantastic, with each segment of the game like an episode of lost, with a "on the last episode of alan wake". Each chapter/episode also ends on a really quirky and mysterious musical number. This game definitely has artistic lynchian undertones without being obscure or vague. The game is also visually stunning, the only downside is the occasional low resolution texture. Mechanically the game has the traditional horror elements, however it throws in enough twists to make it feel fresh again. Light plays a huge role in the dynamic of the entire game, with each source of light being a checkpoint of sorts and every enemy being immortal until you shine them with your torch.All of this leads to the game being quite hard, as you can be taken down in 1 or two hits, so you need to make serious use of the dodging mechanic and stay constantly aware of where each enemy is - if they get behind the player, you might be swamped and die within seconds. The combination of the light mechanics, the involving thriller/mystery plot, the episodic touches, and some serious tension make alan wake unmissable. Just make sure you have a powerful pc. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from XboxThis game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from Xbox 360, so I pirated it and it is a perfect port. However I somehow lost my save when the game crashes and when I closed it. Which is why I'm going to buy it so I can finish the game off. Even though I spent an entire day on it. So is this game worth buying? Yes. If you want an entertaining storyline with voice acting and writing and environment chaos and something different then buy this game. It's worth it. (I don't want to say too much since it'll spoil it.) Expand
  16. Jun 24, 2015
    A FANTASTIC STORYTELLING THRILLER/HORROR GAME!

It is truly a fantastic game, kinda reminds me of Stephen King's books about Thriller genre. But I was put of to the end of the game!

But on the whole it is a good game, fantastic music, and very good environmental quality!
  17. May 28, 2012
    Despite being a couple of years old or whatever now, this still plays out as an almost very special single-player experience. You really feel compelled to play the game and get through to the ending, to find out what on earth has happened to Alan Wake's girlfriend. Has elements of Stephen King novels, Left for Dead and Twin Peaks. The story, atmosphere and setting of Bright Falls isDespite being a couple of years old or whatever now, this still plays out as an almost very special single-player experience. You really feel compelled to play the game and get through to the ending, to find out what on earth has happened to Alan Wake's girlfriend. Has elements of Stephen King novels, Left for Dead and Twin Peaks. The story, atmosphere and setting of Bright Falls is haunting and immersive. However, the non-linear jumbled up and sometimes slightly confusing tale of a writer's descent into some kind of psychotic darkness, only barely masks the utterly linear gameplay elements. This is game that where you literally have no decisions to make, and ultimately is a bit like a survival horror shooter. The combat is a little tricky at first, but eventually it becomes quite easy to manage a torch and gun - but I did suffer a little fatigue with having to deal with the same types of enemies. Plowing through the chapters was easy and addictive, yet could have been more challenging or at least had some forks in the road where Alan could make some decisions about where to go or what to do. In conclusion then I highly recommend checking this game out - it fails at being an outstanding shooter experience, and the story might just seem a little too far-out to get fully onboard with - but it certainly hooked me in, and would love to see a proper sequel someday. Expand
  18. Feb 20, 2012
    I was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in theI was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in the 360, its visually stunning. It includes a lot of visual settings to adjust the game according to your hardware, not to mention that unlike some other games, you can adjust FOV in Alan Wake.
    And yes, i repeat this is a perfect conversion, not a ''port'' because i think that word is an insult to this game

This game brought good memories of games such as Max Payne, SH, Heavy Rain and RE4 in terms of atmosphere, which is one of the things that Remedy managed to achieve perfectly.

What i liked: +Storyline and characters
    +The Atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes
    +The graphics
    +Gameplay
    +Soundtracks

What i didn't like:
    Nothing really, i pretty much enjoyed every moment in this game, i loved how you are constantly under a lot pressure. It makes it very challenging.

On a side note, i highly recommend buying this, but most importantly, the Collector's Bundle which includes the soundtrack, dev commentary, and a PDF book which contains 130 pages. This is my first contender for GOTY 2012.
    (MUST BUY) - This game has the Chapa9DJ seal of approval, so go now and buy it. Support the devs for bringing this masterpiece to PC.

My Rating: 11/10 ... and i'm not exaggerating. Get it now or the darkness will get you.
  19. Jul 7, 2013
    Over 5 years in the making, the spiritual successor to Max Payne 1 is a very cinematic game with good narrative and atmosphere. The tutorial may seem lame, but it gets better. The combat mechanics combining firearms and light work well. The graphics are excellent, if not technically, then certainly artistically. This is an xbox port done right, with minimal consolitis after using theOver 5 years in the making, the spiritual successor to Max Payne 1 is a very cinematic game with good narrative and atmosphere. The tutorial may seem lame, but it gets better. The combat mechanics combining firearms and light work well. The graphics are excellent, if not technically, then certainly artistically. This is an xbox port done right, with minimal consolitis after using the following tweaks:
    add “-rigidcamera” (no mouse accel) and “-noblur” to the executable's launch commands, and max the FOV and “direct aiming” in the settings)
  20. ave
    Dec 24, 2015
    Alan Wake is one of these games that takes you by surprise. I really enjoyed playing it.

The main character is a writer à la Stephen King, going on vacation to solve a writer's block issue, and immediately confronting his inner demons in the most terrifying way, along with the disappearing of its wife. The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem

The story is delivered mostly during cinematics (and this time, it's not a problem since the story is solid and the character is a writer). Then the player goes from safe place A to safe place B wandering into darkness and escaping light-sensitive foes.

The game succeeds in capturing the powerlessness of the character, with a constant balance between fight of flight. And rewards exploration in a good way (weapons, ammunition, novel pages, tv serials, etc.)

But what is really good about the game, is that the gameplay and the world makes sense regarding the main character. Burning foes with your light before shooting or evading them is a very nice game mechanic. Setting the horror in a otherwise peaceful environment is very powerful.

Alan Wake is a very good example of an action / adventure game made right, along with a solid character and story. Play it !
  21. Jun 24, 2017
    For me it's one of the best games. Alan Wake is a masterpiece from Remedy.

For me it's one of the best games. Alan Wake is a masterpiece from Remedy.

This is a great story. It's scary, she draws, it keeps the tension. The game has a great atmosphere. You feel like running through the misty forests, you feel really caught in a nightmare. The developers clearly wanted to make a horror game, and the game is really scary sometimes, especially at first. Of course, after a couple of hours, you awake to wait for the attack the next enemies, who tumble down on you with demonic screams. The game quickly turns into a shooter. In good atmospheric third-person shooter. You Shine on the enemy from the lamp to knock him protection, and then shoot anything complicated. But the enemies attack in groups, and the skirmish turns into an adrenaline action with evasion from the axe at the last moment. Shooting fun, sometimes even challenging, but the story DLS shootout will tire.

Alan Wake takes place in the first its plot! We have a writer who wrote a novel, but can't remember what it wrote, and now all the horrors of his novel come alive. Plus lost his wife, and we have to find her. The plot is very strong, mystical, in the spirit of Stephen King. Gameplay can be divided into night and day. In the afternoon we go on locations, communicate with people, find out information. And night horror movies start, and we make our way through enemies to get to cliffhanger - a plot turn that ends each Chapter of this game. Yes, the game is divided into chapters, but it can be called a series, at the beginning of each of which is waiting for us, the phrase "Previously on Alan Wake". Each burst lasts from 40 minutes to an hour, it really feels like an episode of the series. At the end of the series during the credits we are waiting for the musical composition. Every time's a new track, and every time you listen to it until the end. The music in this game is another main character. Why should only the time with the scene where you shoot enemies to the wonderful Children of the Elder God! I immediately downloaded the soundtrack of this game to his phone and listen to it still, it as this game is immortal, and can not get bored!

Alan Wake is a good idea, when in the course of progress at the location we meet leaves the written, novel. They describe what it was, but the main thing is what will happen. You can go somewhere, to think, that there is salvation, but the road to this place will read this list and know that there will not be anything good. In these sheets also reveal some plot details. To find them all you will have to complete the game on the last difficulty.

The game is almost perfect. It still looks good in it, great story, wonderful music, dynamic gameplay, but there is always but. There are bosses , they are few and they are not interesting, especially the latter. The game simply has no ending. She had absolutely no end. What happened there, and what's next we have a year waiting for the sequel, but it is not. There are DLS that are not mandatory, but they want to go, if you're a fan. Have American Nightmare, but if you liked Alan Wake is the plot, the suspense, do not pass it, there is only action.

Alan Wake is one of the best games Remedy, and one of the best at all. The game that catches its plot, characters, amusing gameplay, and keeps in suspense suspense. You yourself know all this:) I Hope to one day Remedy will do the sequel, Alan Wake deserves it.
  22. Jan 1, 2016
    Overall I really did enjoy the game and honestly I believe it is worth picking up.

The story of the game is something you would expect from King or Coontz. You are a writer. A writer with a writers block - sounds familiar? You go on holiday with your wife and something starts happening. Strange darkness attacks you and you start living out a story written by you that you don't remember writing. Oh - and there is some lake that the native americans living in the area called gate to hell or something like that. At this point I really thought I'm going to despise the story. But oddly enough after a rough start I really did like it and felt it wasn't all that bad.

The strong part for the game are the visuals which are very nicely done. The scenery is pretty nice, and the lighting effects which are pretty important part of the story are very well made as well. Locations at the beginning tend to be bland - forest, forest and nothing interesting. But later on they do change and are quite nicely designed.

The main part of the game is trying to find your wife and beat the darkness. You do this by following the story and fighting people possessed by the darkness. You kill them by shining your flash light on them long enough so they become vulnerable at which point you can safely unload your gun and finally kill them. And you pretty much do that all through the game with just a couple of guns - revolver, shotgun, hunting rifle and assorted helpers like flares or flash grenades. It does get repetitive after a while but not to a point that you hate the whole fighting. And I must admit that I did got scared once or twice - though mostly the game is not really that scary. But has a very consistent atmosphere and you generally feel quite nice when the sun rises.

There are also a couple of elements involving driving a car - but these could have been surely skipped as they're pretty dreadful.

Voice acting and animation is of very nice quality so watching cut scenes is quite pleasant.

Overall after a week beginning the game provides good fun up till the very last part which seems a bit dull and you have to push through it. Luckily it's not long enough too leave a bad impression on the game. I had fun. I really enjoyed it. If you like story driven action games along the lines of resident evil or alone in the dark there is little fear you will not like this game.
  23. May 13, 2012
    Awful on so many levels PERFORMANCE wise!!! Game itself is fantastic (finished it on Xbox when first released). Bought it for PC for the upgrade in graphics and FPS. Sadly, this is far from the truth. My rig is just 6 months old with (at the time) some of the best hardware available. It POWERS through every game I play at rock solid 60 fps on max settings. Now the problem ... Alan WakeAwful on so many levels PERFORMANCE wise!!! Game itself is fantastic (finished it on Xbox when first released). Bought it for PC for the upgrade in graphics and FPS. Sadly, this is far from the truth. My rig is just 6 months old with (at the time) some of the best hardware available. It POWERS through every game I play at rock solid 60 fps on max settings. Now the problem ... Alan Wake even at medium sends my CPU/GPU into overdrive with choppy fps???. Why??? I have read the forums, made adjustments yadda yadda yadda with no improvement. Some people haven't had these issues with AW and good luck to them. Myself and 'mydixienormus' (see his comments) do, so it's not an isolated problem my end. Such a shame cos like others I was really looking forward to this title. Maybe with future patches it will be addressed as I'm sure I'm not alone here. I'm giving it a 5 out of 10 because as a game it's amazing, but with it's current performance I feel cheated and may as well have stuck with my Xbox edition. ----------------------------------------------------> UPDATE 13/05/2012 ... Since the recent patches I went back to AW and admit it runs much, much better now. I still haven't completed it but wanted to change my score to justify its current state. It's a good game full of drama. Not really a 'horror' game, but a heart stopper all the same. Score upped from a 5 to an 8. Expand
  24. Feb 18, 2012
    Performance shouldn't have an impact on the game play score. The game itself is wonderfully ported. Wonderful story, as to be expected. Anything else........ Pretty much it's an all around quality game that is ominous and at times scary.
  25. Jun 20, 2015
    A awesome interesting suck you in story, with gorgeous darkness. Alan Wakes gameplay is so smooth and addicting and one the best well written story's I have ever played, its beautiful landscapes and art keep you looking and wanting more and they deliver pretty well. I love this game!

Alan wake is a Unique Story game not a RPG, If you want a great story this is a great game.
  26. Oct 6, 2012
    Great story, the climate that can pull like a book. For the graphics made ​​it interesting? Gels in terms of forest or the city itself, and of the most important, interesting idea for a survival-horror. The game can not draw a single player, but not scare him more. It is a game with the climate, but the climate is not great horror. After a long time, it gets monotonous andGreat story, the climate that can pull like a book. For the graphics made ​​it interesting? Gels in terms of forest or the city itself, and of the most important, interesting idea for a survival-horror. The game can not draw a single player, but not scare him more. It is a game with the climate, but the climate is not great horror. After a long time, it gets monotonous and boring, which does not change the fact that many players may like it, because it is really very good. My Rating - 8/10 Expand
  27. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best game i ever played. I loved every moment in this game. The story, the graphic are so good. Game of the Year 2012.
  28. Jun 7, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performedFantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performed by the band Poets of the Fall, will find its way on to every nerd's iPod. My one complaint is the wonky controls on the mouse/keys. Probably much better with a controller. Definitely experience this game though. Expand
  29. Feb 17, 2012
    Brilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third personBrilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third person action-thriller game then this is for you. The story and the action are what this game worth playing, there just simply is not much like it on the market to compare to. Then the price of $30 for the CE and all DLCs and soundtrack is just a massive bonus that seals the deal as one of the best PC releases of recent "port" history. Expand
  30. Feb 19, 2012
    The story is engaging at first, then it sucks you in. Game-play is like Max Payne, but with a flashlight, with dire consequences This is a mix I hope many developers follow. I didn't expect anything less from remedy. You guys keep pushing the develop in deep storytelling and content. We love you.

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012