8.0

1. AWG
    Jul 26, 2013
    A great story, a set of interesting characters, great graphics, handy controls, Rose, lots of compelling challenges and fair rewards, well-balanced cut-scenes... Alan Wake is a complete and unregrettable gaming experience you'll start missing as soon as the credits fade out. 9/10 need moar Rose.
  2. Jun 29, 2014
    General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant.General Overview: This is a well done narrative driven game with some unique game play that reminds me of Dead Space, although the combat is a bit less intense. Great mixture of action and story with excellent pasting. Its occasional weak voice acting and outdated character models can be off-putting at times but in general the well written narrative makes those small this irrelevant. Great Twin Peaks/David Lynch atmosphere with psychological horror that literally chilled my spine. As a writer this game is ultimately appealing and greatly appreciated. While there is little reason to replay other than to relive the story (which I for one will do in about a year or so) there are collectibles and achievements galore here. Remedy did a great job with the game but a sequel would be difficult though not implausible I would love for this to have a real follow up (American Nightmare is more like a DLC) but only if the quality of the narrative can be maintained.

TL;DNR: 9: A great psychological horror/survival game with a very strong narrative and unique game play. For those who enjoy and value strong stories within their games and enjoy things by David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet...) then this is a must play.

Technology/engine: 8: Runs very smoothly and is well optimized for PC.

AI: 7: The AI is well developed but a bit predictable.

Graphics: 7: The graphics a decent although texture qualities are mix and the character models are dated. The set pieces, however, are great - heavily detailed, great art style, and creates a depth of immersion and atmosphere that many games seem to ignore.

Sound: 10: The sound in this game is very well developed with lots of depth and variability in ambient sound and combat sounds are spot on.

Soundtrack: 9: Great soundtrack with well chosen episodic theme songs at the end of each of its 6 episodes and great music throughout that fits the action and the intensity of the moment and really adds to the games pacing as well as atmosphere.

Voice acting: 8: Most of the voice acting is well done and convincing although there are moments where it fades into the acceptable range. Never the less, its minor acting issues do not really detract from its story nor its immersion.

Crafting: N/A

Customization: N/A

Game play systems: 9: The game play in Alan Wake is well developed and fun with a good mix of occasional splashes of reward exploration (at times the exploration for hidden caches of resources may not be a good choice and the intensity of that decision comes through very well), game relevant puzzles of sorts (more like just dangerous tasks really), wonderful use of light as a weapon, and all around just a fun game.

Controls: 10: This is a PC port done right. The controls are excellent and can be rebound to any key. The controls are simple and clean and are quickly picked up.

Story: 10: Very well written and very well executed. A David Lynch style story that really pulls you in and makes you care about Bright Falls and its inhabitants as well as the Alan and his buddy Barry. If you like David Lynch's work you owe it to yourself to play this game.

Multiplayer: N/A
  3. Sep 10, 2012
    This game gave probably one of the best stories to date. Something between 80's horror flick, Twin Peaks and Lost. Gameplay is also innovative. Only problem is lack of some kind of ingame map. Game is that good that no need parts to wonder around not knowing where to go. That's bad but not crucial as there is not too much situations where you can stuck.
  4. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from XboxThis game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from Xbox 360, so I pirated it and it is a perfect port. However I somehow lost my save when the game crashes and when I closed it. Which is why I'm going to buy it so I can finish the game off. Even though I spent an entire day on it. So is this game worth buying? Yes. If you want an entertaining storyline with voice acting and writing and environment chaos and something different then buy this game. It's worth it. (I don't want to say too much since it'll spoil it.) Expand
  5. Feb 20, 2012
    I was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in theI was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in the 360, its visually stunning. It includes a lot of visual settings to adjust the game according to your hardware, not to mention that unlike some other games, you can adjust FOV in Alan Wake.
    And yes, i repeat this is a perfect conversion, not a ''port'' because i think that word is an insult to this game

This game brought good memories of games such as Max Payne, SH, Heavy Rain and RE4 in terms of atmosphere, which is one of the things that Remedy managed to achieve perfectly.

What i liked: +Storyline and characters
    +The Atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes
    +The graphics
    +Gameplay
    +Soundtracks

What i didn't like:
    Nothing really, i pretty much enjoyed every moment in this game, i loved how you are constantly under a lot pressure. It makes it very challenging.

On a side note, i highly recommend buying this, but most importantly, the Collector's Bundle which includes the soundtrack, dev commentary, and a PDF book which contains 130 pages. This is my first contender for GOTY 2012.
    (MUST BUY) - This game has the Chapa9DJ seal of approval, so go now and buy it. Support the devs for bringing this masterpiece to PC.

My Rating: 11/10 ... and i'm not exaggerating. Get it now or the darkness will get you.
  6. Feb 18, 2012
    Performance shouldn't have an impact on the game play score. The game itself is wonderfully ported. Wonderful story, as to be expected. Anything else........ Pretty much it's an all around quality game that is ominous and at times scary.
  7. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best game i ever played. I loved every moment in this game. The story, the graphic are so good. Game of the Year 2012.
  8. Feb 19, 2012
    The story is engaging at first, then it sucks you in. Game-play is like Max Payne, but with a flashlight, with dire consequences This is a mix I hope many developers follow. I didn't expect anything less from remedy. You guys keep pushing the develop in deep storytelling and content. We love you.
  9. Jun 7, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performedFantastic game. Great narrative, creepy setting, and Alan Wake is such a helpless, lovable nerd. It has a strong identity. It knows the kind of game that it wants to be and is and it sticks with it. The music selections and episodic nature of the game ads a lot to the experience as well. The ending will have you wondering and scratching your head, and the main theme of the game, performed by the band Poets of the Fall, will find its way on to every nerd's iPod. My one complaint is the wonky controls on the mouse/keys. Probably much better with a controller. Definitely experience this game though. Expand
  10. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a really BAD GAME!!! BAD, because how the hell can I explain my boss that I can't stay on my work after the night comes???
    Remedy - YOU ROCK! Nice game! Way to go! =)
  11. Aug 7, 2013
    I admit back when this first came out I was sucked in. Being a writer the idea of a world where a writer's own work appears to take on a life of it's own, however the story is far more complex than that.

Also, I am not one for horror games as usually they have terrible combat and at times aren't that creepy, however this is a game with a good combat system and able to be creepy without using gore. Afterall, darkness is one of the most primal of fears. It's well worth it's price for anyone looking for a deeply involving story and/or want to play a creepy game.
  12. Mar 2, 2012
    hahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to playhahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to play and one of the best games i had the pleasure of playing. People complaining are all noobs who dont know how to configure their pc's to play it. And for those who complain about the design choices, go play COD with your awesome FOV and awesome gunplay where a knife is more powerful than a gun. Please. ALAN WAKE FTW! thank you remedy for this amazing game! hopefully youll stay pc now and show these console people how to make real games. Expand
  13. Feb 17, 2012
    Brilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third personBrilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third person action-thriller game then this is for you. The story and the action are what this game worth playing, there just simply is not much like it on the market to compare to. Then the price of $30 for the CE and all DLCs and soundtrack is just a massive bonus that seals the deal as one of the best PC releases of recent "port" history. Expand
  14. Apr 5, 2012
    This isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting youThis isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting you catch your breath at just the right time. While the scares aren't quite inline with the likes of Silent Hill 2 the story and the pacing of Alan Wake won't disappoint and provides enough chills and thrills to keep you hooked. The only gripe I have is that it took me awhile to get use to the controls as they weren't very intuitive (I use a Windows 360 controller) and combat I also found using the mouse and keyboard rather weak and laggy, if you have a controller use it. I also found easy mode a bit too easy and normal mode way to hard, I can't imagine what hard difficulty is like. All in all Alan Wake is a great game and an a great port to the PC and if you like survival horror or 3D action games than you won't go wrong with this. Expand
  15. Feb 22, 2012
    The story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although theyThe story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although they have made the difficulty levels harder for this release. Game comes with all the DLC already installed, so a lot of value with this one. Expand
  16. Feb 17, 2012
    This game I waited for a long time. I was very angry, when PC version was stopped. At last, now, when this game come on PC, I playing this game with pleasure.
  17. Feb 15, 2013
    There was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in theThere was a time when I had been waiting for Heavy Rain not even having a PS3. Yeah, it was difficult to read all positives reviews not having a possibility to play on my own. But at that very moment another terrific game came out, which story helped me to forget about other stories in games for a while. Being a fan of Stephen King and liking Twin Peaks it is easy to fall in love in the story of Alan Wake. Not only you get fun of reading another page of manuscript, listening to another radio show or watching episode on TV, but also you are taken by gameplay that is one of the most comfortable on XBOX360. That is one of the games that makes you think that you will replay it again long before the ending.
    I managed to complete all the achievements and played through the games three times. Thumbs up, Remedy! Unforgettable moment house container, where Alan is, is rolled by and thrown from the cliff.
  18. Apr 30, 2012
    Awesome game. I haven't played a quality game like this in a LONG time.
    Story, graphics, music, game-play, everything is perfectly fused together to make this masterpiece.
  19. Feb 11, 2014
    This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story.This psychological horror-mystery begins with famous writer Alan Wake as he vacations with his wife to a small town in an attempt to escape his writer's block. Everything goes to hell when his wife Alice is kidnapped by a strange darkness that is taking over the area and bringing horror and destruction with it. I will not spoil anything, but this game's strength is certainly in its story. Wake, as a writer, provides an interesting narration that brings the environment to life, while also voicing Wake's thoughts and providing information for the story. The way game connects collectibles (in the form of pages to Alan's memoirs) to the story is great and interesting. Characters are brought to life with new depth as you read their stories in the memoirs. But the horror is also a big factor in this game.

When the darkness attacks, light is the only salvation. Your inventory consists of guns and light-based weapons, such as flares, flashbangs, and a flashlight. Ammunition can be scarce, so hold on to the light and savor it while you have it. It all fits well with the horror of the game--as the darkness becomes stronger, you only feel safe in the light of day (and not always then!). When lost, following the light is also a safe bet, but this feels natural. You are running, being chased by those Taken by the darkness, and naturally you run toward the light because it is the only place you feel is safe.

This is a game I know I will certainly replay, with more focus on the story and collectibles. The gameplay is unique and interesting, the horror keeps you on edge, and the story is fantastic and full of depth.
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    Great storyline is the main advantage of the game. Graphics and audio are standing at a high level and cut-scenes, dialogue, characters, and the scenery doing really good experience.
  21. Jun 1, 2013
    One of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexityOne of the best games I've played this year, aside from BioShock Infinite. The PC remaster of this game really plays out well, and with the graphical settings on ultra, this game looks and feels phenomenal. The entire atmosphere works perfectly, and you really do cling on to your torch hastily when roaming the dark forests alone. In addition, the storyline was amazing, with such complexity and curiosity which left me wanting to continue with the game. However, despite the greatness of the game I can only give it a 9/10. I found at times the amount of enemies was overwhelming and it felt a bit repetitive after 6+ hours of simply walking through the dark shooting enemies constantly. I also felt like the AI (whenever you had somebody accompanying you) were awful at shooting enemies. Despite having partners helping you, the enemies ONLY attack you, and your partners actually kill perhaps 1/10 enemies.

Overall an amazing game and well worth the play-through! I also picked it up for £2.70 with 90% off on Steam this weekend which was a bargain!
  22. Sep 18, 2013
    The best story telling in recent memory. Sometimes the controls suck but the ambiance, careful style progression and suspense punctuated by real fear your batteries will run out on your flashlight makes it amazing and totally worth it. I usually avoid console ports religiously but I'm glad I picked this gem up on sale.
  23. Aug 18, 2012
    I know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer evenI know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer even with the settings at medium, and the dreadful soprano-style ending that spoiled what would have been a masterpiece; I just can't bring myself to rate this game perfect. The thing is that Alan Wake is - in so many areas - ahead of its time. It's that rare game that's more than the sum of its parts. The different aspects of the game, be it incredible graphics or near-flawless story-line, or even the true-to-life characters and voice-acting; are not just delivered with quality but implemented with a purpose, and every artistic aspect of the game successfully adds to the depth of the games artistic message. The game's horror atmosphere is one of the best, not stereotypical and predictable like Dead Space and other action/horror knockoffs. But the horror exists for a reason, the game's comedic moments exist for a reason, and the game's characters move and act for a purpose, and this purpose that so mysteriously and powerfully drives the game is something that almost no games have yet to find, and the purpose behind Alan Wake that sets it apart from the rest of the gaming scene. Alan Wake will grip you and take you down not only a path or horror but a journey that comes with it's own ups and downs. It's not a short one either, I lost 14 hours of my life to it. If I were to just rate Alan Wake as if it were a simple game, who's sole purpose is amusement, I'd give it around a 7, which is probably why the professional critic reviews of this game are what they are; but Alan Wake is far more than that. Alan Wake is an experience that needs experiencing, a true work of art. That's not something that can be described on a scale of 0-10. Other than the ending which seemed to entirely abandon the purpose and artistic message that had driven the plot for so long, this game is simply brilliant, and at times awe-inspiring. Expand
  24. May 3, 2012
    Without a doubt the games main strength is its storyline, throughout the whole experience it never failed to have me in suspense thinking of what might happen next, sure the combat is a bit samey, but aren't all horror games? The graphics and sound quality are superb, can't fault them in anyway, looks stunning on my machine, got it day one and I don't regret this at all
  25. Jun 25, 2013
    A huge game. One of the bests I've ever played. A very-well written storyline, the really frightening and unique (light is everything) gameplay makes Alan Wake a must play for everyone who loves horror,action and game with good-stories.

Story: 10
    Gameplay:10
    Graphics: 9
    Sound: 10
  26. Mar 21, 2012
    This is a great game!
    There is a gimmick to it, but it is not bad at all. Feels a lot like the old Max Payne games because it is the same studio, but totally different atmosphere than Max Payne. This game makes extensive use of light and shadow and it will definitely frighten you.
    This is a great game!

Once you get the hang of the gameplay then it should be fairly easy to get through all but the toughest areas. The scenery is a joy to behold and is some of the best I've seen in awhile. If there is one thing that remedy does well then it is developing the atmosphere to make you feel like you are really in the game, Alan Wake is no different, great atmosphere, great story, and I really felt myself wanting to play more to evolve the story.

I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the "bad guys", but that goes the same for nearly every game. The way that the story presents the characters makes the whole thing very believable. Basically, it feels like you are playing a Stephen King novel, and that is a pretty high compliment. There is no sex or depravity like in King novels, but plenty of frightening scenes and lots of malevolent creatures.

Being your flashlight!
  27. Feb 21, 2012
    Incredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price youIncredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price you probably need more than 10/10 rank. Great work Remedy. Expand
  28. Aug 26, 2013
    A different experience that not everybody likes, but with manifold on games out there I'm glad that we still have... "different" games like Alan Wake. A truly enjoyable experience with an excellent story. Wish there would be more diverse enemies though.

All in all I can just urge you to try it out.
  29. Nov 8, 2013
    A great game not only from the narrative perspective but also from technical one...Just a perfect combination of a thriller with an amazing storyline and an exciting gameplay.One of the best single player games I've ever played.

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012