8.0

1. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from XboxThis game is amazing, the performance is perfect for me. The storyline is really cool and very surprising. It's quite simple the gameplay but a challenge in a way. You have to brighten your flashlight at the enemy until a circle goes tiny and then you can shoot them down easily to their death. This is something different and a good thing. I wanted to see if it was a fail port from Xbox 360, so I pirated it and it is a perfect port. However I somehow lost my save when the game crashes and when I closed it. Which is why I'm going to buy it so I can finish the game off. Even though I spent an entire day on it. So is this game worth buying? Yes. If you want an entertaining storyline with voice acting and writing and environment chaos and something different then buy this game. It's worth it. (I don't want to say too much since it'll spoil it.) Expand
  2. Feb 17, 2012
    Brilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third personBrilliant. Can max it out at 1080p on my q9450, 4gb ddr2, 560ti. Played this originally on the 360 and the transformation to bring this out on PC has made a lot of noticeable improvements to the graphics and definitely received quite a bit of attention in getting the controls and settings working nicely. If you need a bit of Twin Peaks meets Steven King and can enjoy a third person action-thriller game then this is for you. The story and the action are what this game worth playing, there just simply is not much like it on the market to compare to. Then the price of $30 for the CE and all DLCs and soundtrack is just a massive bonus that seals the deal as one of the best PC releases of recent "port" history. Expand
  3. Apr 30, 2012
    Awesome game. I haven't played a quality game like this in a LONG time.
    Story, graphics, music, game-play, everything is perfectly fused together to make this masterpiece.
  4. Feb 22, 2012
    The story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although theyThe story in alan wake is simply awesome, and the atmosphere is the best bar none i have played, its a VERY tense game.I have a slightly above average Pc, and i can play with this maxed out at 50+fps, so ignore the guy who clearly has a below spec PC. Game is fun, graphics MUCH improved over the 360 version, the controls are tight, and a little easier than the 360 version, although they have made the difficulty levels harder for this release. Game comes with all the DLC already installed, so a lot of value with this one. Expand
  5. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is long-overdue, and was worth the wait, Alan Wake is intense, and always has you on the edge of your seat, it makes you feel sorry for Alan and keeps you wondering how the story will evolve and progress, feels like Silent Hill and Resident Evil had a beautiful baby. It also has humor and some references to the real world that will make you smile, or remember a line or a sceneThis game is long-overdue, and was worth the wait, Alan Wake is intense, and always has you on the edge of your seat, it makes you feel sorry for Alan and keeps you wondering how the story will evolve and progress, feels like Silent Hill and Resident Evil had a beautiful baby. It also has humor and some references to the real world that will make you smile, or remember a line or a scene from a movie or tv show.

If you can get this game, you will NOT be disappointed!
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed the story of the game and to fight with light was fun, even if the story was a little strange twisted sometimes. I liked the machines going after you and to hunt them down. Altogether there were some nice ideas in it. The graphics are pretty nice, only the controls were annoying sometimes. Expand
  7. Feb 18, 2012
    Performance shouldn't have an impact on the game play score. The game itself is wonderfully ported. Wonderful story, as to be expected. Anything else........ Pretty much it's an all around quality game that is ominous and at times scary.
  8. Apr 28, 2012
    Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.Alan Wake was such a pleasure to play through. One of the strongest points of the game is the immersing story, and the way it unfolds. It kept me guessing, and begging for more. The scenery of the game was breathtaking, and while there were quite a lot of "forest" areas, every single one of them was paired up with an astounding view of a valley, or beautiful mountains in the distance.

Combat in Alan Wake was nice and refreshing. It was a nice touch that you simply can't shoot your enemies, but have to decide how to take on a pack. While the selections of weapons in the game was modest, you could use them to great effect. I fell in love with the way dodging works in this game, and it made defensive evasion - something that people often overlook in favor of brute force - a pleasant skill to practice.

This game was long, and it was good. It is definitely one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had in a long time.
  9. Sep 5, 2012
    I am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutesI am writing solely to offset the clueless reviewers who give this game a 0-4 score and address/disprove their major complaints. a) poor performance on "top end" hardware - I'm playing it at 50 fps maxed out on an i3, gtx550ti, that's very far from top end. b) poor controls/camera angle - that is simply not true. Controls are completely lag-free and the camera angle takes about 5 minutes to get used to, unless you have some sort of handicap c) linear, no levelups - do I even need to say why this is not a problem in this genre?

It saddens me deeply to see a considerable number of people who completely missed the point of the game, then came here to complain about issues that simply don't exist.

Alan Wake is the best purchase I've made in a very long time, so much so that I'm actually playing it with my wife who finds both the gameplay and the cutscenes engaging enough to watch and she does not play videogames.
  10. Feb 22, 2012
    A beautiful arrangement heavily inspired by Twin Peaks, Stephen King, The Twilight Zone and numerous other definitive classics from the horror and suspense genre. Truly mind-bending and enjoyable.

No performance issues. Running on a Radeon 6850 1GB GDDR5 and it runs maxed without a hiccup. The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and

The only minor complaint I have with the game are the facial animations. Occasionally the faces and mouths in cut scenes are odd. Alan's mouth sometimes opens too big and looks weird when he is surprised and once in a great while there is some weird body language, but none of this is egregious or frequent enough to detract significantly from the story, and is more than likely a symptom of the fact that it was originally made for a console.

The voice acting and the soundtrack are always spot-on. An extremely memorable and enjoyable story and experience all around. Worth it even if you only play through it once.
  11. Feb 21, 2012
    Amazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it andAmazing game. It's so rare that you actually get your moneys worth out of many single player games these days. You buy it, get it home, beat it in a few hours and you're done. This is not the case with Alan Wake, you will get several hours of gameplay for your money. The story is simply fantastic, and original, as is the gameplay itself. Your not going to just run and gun through it and survive. It's TV mini-series style presentation is also very well done. You really do feel like you are playing a supernatural TV series. The overall effect is an addictive game that you enjoy playing, that keeps you guessing as to what's going on and what's going to happen next. If you like suspenseful horror or supernatural entertainment , then you are going to like Alan Wake. Yes, this game is a console port, however the PC version is far better looking than its console counterpart. Seeing them side by side really drives this point home. If you are going to port a game to PC from an inferior console, this is how you do it. Higher resolutions, higher fidelity, and DX10 features that no console can touch. Kudos to the developer for a proper port. The game played fantastic on my gaming system. AMD 1090T at 4.1GHz, XFX DD Radeon 7950 BE, 16GB DDR3 1600. Running a live broadcast via X-Fire through the entire game. No problems from the game at all. Very happy with my purchase and the gaming experience. So not only do I highly recommend Alan Wake, I suggest you play it at night, in the dark, with the volume turned up and in its full HD+ splendor. This way you can properly enjoy the dark side of Bright Falls. Expand
  12. Jul 19, 2012
    I bought Alan Wake not knowing what I was getting (Steam sale) Wow! What a game. The combat, world, music, atmosphere are all top notch. If you would like GTA4 with a more linear experience as a horror movie, with the most well done atmosphere .. ever .. than you will love this game.
  13. Mar 2, 2012
    hahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to playhahaa, all the noobs who say the camera angle sucks. It is part of the design of the game, my god, how much hand holding do you need? like seriously? get over yourselves. OH, and for those who complain about the game not running smooth, i have no idea what you are talking about. I run at 60 fps fully maxed no glitches, no issues. One of the best ports ive ever had the pleasure to play and one of the best games i had the pleasure of playing. People complaining are all noobs who dont know how to configure their pc's to play it. And for those who complain about the design choices, go play COD with your awesome FOV and awesome gunplay where a knife is more powerful than a gun. Please. ALAN WAKE FTW! thank you remedy for this amazing game! hopefully youll stay pc now and show these console people how to make real games. Expand
  14. Aug 18, 2012
    I know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer evenI know I'm a bit late on this, but I so wish I had heard of this game sooner. This is a hard game rate on a number scale for me. Although part of me wants to rate it a ten, the number of frustrating combat scenarios, the mercilessness of the game, the checkpoints loaded for stupid reasons, the unfriendly camera and control delay, the unacceptable lag spikes on my quad core computer even with the settings at medium, and the dreadful soprano-style ending that spoiled what would have been a masterpiece; I just can't bring myself to rate this game perfect. The thing is that Alan Wake is - in so many areas - ahead of its time. It's that rare game that's more than the sum of its parts. The different aspects of the game, be it incredible graphics or near-flawless story-line, or even the true-to-life characters and voice-acting; are not just delivered with quality but implemented with a purpose, and every artistic aspect of the game successfully adds to the depth of the games artistic message. The game's horror atmosphere is one of the best, not stereotypical and predictable like Dead Space and other action/horror knockoffs. But the horror exists for a reason, the game's comedic moments exist for a reason, and the game's characters move and act for a purpose, and this purpose that so mysteriously and powerfully drives the game is something that almost no games have yet to find, and the purpose behind Alan Wake that sets it apart from the rest of the gaming scene. Alan Wake will grip you and take you down not only a path or horror but a journey that comes with it's own ups and downs. It's not a short one either, I lost 14 hours of my life to it. If I were to just rate Alan Wake as if it were a simple game, who's sole purpose is amusement, I'd give it around a 7, which is probably why the professional critic reviews of this game are what they are; but Alan Wake is far more than that. Alan Wake is an experience that needs experiencing, a true work of art. That's not something that can be described on a scale of 0-10. Other than the ending which seemed to entirely abandon the purpose and artistic message that had driven the plot for so long, this game is simply brilliant, and at times awe-inspiring. Expand
  15. Feb 21, 2012
    Incredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price youIncredible experience. Probably one of the best game i ever played and i putting this next to the legends like Half Life or Unreal 1. Great gameplay, ant that STORY!!! maybe linear, but you have to understands that this game is story telling game, not RPG or something. Nice and detailed half-open world, not just silly corridor game. When you combine gameplay, length and price you probably need more than 10/10 rank. Great work Remedy. Expand
  16. Feb 17, 2012
    I absolutely love this game. It is an ode to a type of pulp horror that isnâ
  17. Feb 20, 2012
    I was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in theI was annoyed when they canceled the game on PC. It was more than a long wait. However, i never lost faith that this game could come to PC someday. Was it worth all the waiting? HELL YEAH. This is one ''no longer 360 exclusive'' game that YOU MUST PLAY. Not only because this is a gem, also because the game is an excellent conversion and a much better looking version than the one in the 360, its visually stunning. It includes a lot of visual settings to adjust the game according to your hardware, not to mention that unlike some other games, you can adjust FOV in Alan Wake.
    And yes, i repeat this is a perfect conversion, not a ''port'' because i think that word is an insult to this game

This game brought good memories of games such as Max Payne, SH, Heavy Rain and RE4 in terms of atmosphere, which is one of the things that Remedy managed to achieve perfectly.

What i liked: +Storyline and characters
    +The Atmosphere and the beautiful landscapes
    +The graphics
    +Gameplay
    +Soundtracks

What i didn't like:
    Nothing really, i pretty much enjoyed every moment in this game, i loved how you are constantly under a lot pressure. It makes it very challenging.

On a side note, i highly recommend buying this, but most importantly, the Collector's Bundle which includes the soundtrack, dev commentary, and a PDF book which contains 130 pages. This is my first contender for GOTY 2012.
    (MUST BUY) - This game has the Chapa9DJ seal of approval, so go now and buy it. Support the devs for bringing this masterpiece to PC.

My Rating: 11/10 ... and i'm not exaggerating. Get it now or the darkness will get you.
  18. Feb 17, 2012
    I have only one question: why console exclusives are so much better than multiplatform games? The best videogame story i've ever seen in my life. Moreover, 2 years after release, but the game still looks simply awesome. Thank you, Remedy, for porting this masterpiece to PC. Great story, great graphics, atmosphere, sound, gameplay. I'm very impressed.
  19. Mar 2, 2012
    FINALLY ON PC, its about damn time.

This is in my top 10 games of all time easily, the play on not just having to survive madmen but the force of pure darkness is something that has stirred the minds of people all over who have played this game, including myself. The darker nature of this game, delving into nightmares, the atmosphere, the intensity, all of the side stories which tie into
    FINALLY ON PC, its about damn time.

The darker nature of this game, delving into nightmares, the atmosphere, the intensity, all of the side stories which tie into the theme of madness and the book pages to collect make the games replay value quite high even though not a true â
  20. Aug 14, 2012
    Exceptionally good story.Gameplay is fantastic.The soundtrack is also one of the best out there.Graphics are very good and its performance is good too.
  21. Mar 9, 2012
    this game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game withthis game is simply outstanding i have a top end rig and the game runs perfect for me so i don't know what some users here are saying it runs great the story is very good in this game its like reading a great novel and the game play mechanics are very well done.Also remedy knows how to treat the pc players they on on the forums answering questions with in minutes and patching the game with pc players feed back and what they would like in the game i hope remedy carry on making more alan wake games for the pc Expand
  22. Feb 17, 2012
    This game I waited for a long time. I was very angry, when PC version was stopped. At last, now, when this game come on PC, I playing this game with pleasure.
  23. May 3, 2012
    Without a doubt the games main strength is its storyline, throughout the whole experience it never failed to have me in suspense thinking of what might happen next, sure the combat is a bit samey, but aren't all horror games? The graphics and sound quality are superb, can't fault them in anyway, looks stunning on my machine, got it day one and I don't regret this at all
  24. Dec 22, 2012
    Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before.Alan Wake is proof positive of the point that a story, properly told transcends all media and genres. A game that could be EASILY adapted for film or TV, Alan Wake is a game that is, in actuality, an interactive novel, and one that is just BEGGING for Star Trek's holodeck. Even in the intro sequence I found myself enjoying the game on a level that I have not enjoyed any other game before. Does that mean it's my favourite game? No. But even still it is a wonderful experience nonetheless. Even the fairly standard horror pacing and formula can't detract from this game, and so intricately tied to and interwoven with its plot the game really manages to tell a story while you battle shadow monsters with a Christmas light wearing sidekick (I am NOT making this up). While I am not a fan of the horror genre, and have never really read any Stephen King (to whom the tilts it's hat many times), the game was nevertheless thoroughly enjoyable. The only down-side to this interactive novel is that like a novel it is not immediately replayable. When you get to the last chapter, you don't feel any pressing need to start over again from the beginning, because what you have really enjoyed is not the thrill of the chase, being hunted by an insidious Lovecraftian shadow-demon, but the content of that story. But I think that is one negative we can all bear if games of this ilk were to become more common in the future. And really that actually makes the gameplay longer lasting easier to savour. Please Remedy, and ALL developers, give us more interactive novels, and less psychotically emotionless space marines killing freaking zombie demons from outer space. Expand
  25. Mar 25, 2012
    One of the best game i ever played. I loved every moment in this game. The story, the graphic are so good. Game of the Year 2012.
  26. Apr 5, 2012
    This isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting youThis isn't only a great survival horror game, it's a great game period. While it has a few minor flaws they are easily overlooked because what it does right it does near perfect. The game looks outstanding and runs well on my old GTX260. Aside from how good it looks the audio is of very high quality too. The pacing of this game is great, it's always pushing you forward but letting you catch your breath at just the right time. While the scares aren't quite inline with the likes of Silent Hill 2 the story and the pacing of Alan Wake won't disappoint and provides enough chills and thrills to keep you hooked. The only gripe I have is that it took me awhile to get use to the controls as they weren't very intuitive (I use a Windows 360 controller) and combat I also found using the mouse and keyboard rather weak and laggy, if you have a controller use it. I also found easy mode a bit too easy and normal mode way to hard, I can't imagine what hard difficulty is like. All in all Alan Wake is a great game and an a great port to the PC and if you like survival horror or 3D action games than you won't go wrong with this. Expand
  27. Apr 13, 2012
    Great game and very good story and different gameplay mechanics, visually impressive on the highest settings... Remedy has still got it! But I must say, they will need to improve the formula if they want to make a sequel... At the end, I just wanted to know the end of the story, the gameplay became a bit predictable, but it was only at the end of this masterpiece that I had this feeling...
  28. Feb 26, 2012
    Have you ever felt like giving a character in a game a hug to reassure and comfort them? That is how I felt at one point early in the game.

Highly recommended if you like the story driven kind of game.

1. May 5, 2012
    Alan Wake is a decent port with a few console-characteristics that cause a few annoyances. But PC-gamers finally have the option to enjoy Alan Wake's unique and gripping story.
    Yet as a finished result and, finally, as a product with an interactive purpose, Alan Wake suffers enough from trying to mix so many influences, ending very close to the "you love it or hate it" model. Eventually, maybe these are just the "pains of childbirth" for something more complex or for something else as deserving as interactivity, a new „species" that needs to be judged less for its interactive aspects and more for the ones that regard its style.
  3. Apr 5, 2012