8.4

1. Jun 16, 2011
    Alice: MR remains a mediocre game: the graphics is hardly fair, with texture problems and not satisfying details, the gameplay leads to very frequent boring spots, puzzles are wearisome and useless. Moreover, the game looks unfinished and unpolished, they shouldn't have put it on the marketplace so early. Just rent it for a couple of days, but I won't suggest you to buy it at all.
  2. Jun 28, 2011
    I am a huge fan of the original and I loved most aspects of this game. While not photo-realistic the art design was fantastic and the physx effects (such as Alices hair) where amazing. The story was fairly well written, though a bit choppy in places and the game-play was a lot of fun. A worthy sequel, that being said I do have a few complaints. The lack of boss fights buged me a bit, theI am a huge fan of the original and I loved most aspects of this game. While not photo-realistic the art design was fantastic and the physx effects (such as Alices hair) where amazing. The story was fairly well written, though a bit choppy in places and the game-play was a lot of fun. A worthy sequel, that being said I do have a few complaints. The lack of boss fights buged me a bit, the end of each chapter felt a bit weak because of it. Some chapters were a bit long, 3 and 5 in particular tended to drag on a be a bit repetitive. The weapons were decent, though I would have liked to see a larger arsenal. The game was reminiscent of Zelda in that you receive new weapons/tools each level but that stops halfway though (instead you get mini-games, which are fun, but not the same). The ending was a mixed bag, while the writing was interesting I felt it was a bit rushed and had a "wait that was it?" feel to it after all the buildup. Still I recommend this game to fans of the original, anyone who loves a good twisted story, and anyone who loves a good adventure. Still hope they make an American McGee movie, the Tim Burton movie was a bit weak and not nearly twisted enough. Expand
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    Alice Madness Returns is one of those games you would really want to like. With some polishing and stronger story-telling it could have been great game. Unfortunately, as it is, this game is very mediocre in almost all aspects. It has shallow story and characters, bad dialog, repetitive gameplay, messy controls and camera that can't quite keep up.

The only strong point of this game is

The only strong point of this game is visual design. Few games manage to great so unique and surreal visual experience. Unfortunately even this is ruined by low texture quality. Overall visual feel is a bit messy and blurry.

If you like platformers and don't expect anything exceptional or deep, this game might be okay buy. Also if you liked the original game, this has very same feel in it. Otherwise, I would skip this one.
  4. Jul 19, 2014
    Way too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate thisWay too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate this game low, it is great, at least for first ten hours. Expand
  5. Dec 10, 2014
    This game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a realThis game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a real bore to me. But the whole art style, the sound and even the story are amazing to me. Yes, you should try it. Just don't play more than 2 hours per day, and you'll love it. Expand
  6. Jun 17, 2011
    Amazing art and truly an homage to Lewis Carroll classic. The game-play is solid and the diversity of the different chapters delivers an interesting challenge for platforms and actions aficionados. Above everything else that was released this year so far. Similar experience to the Batman Arkham Asylum in a lot of ways, same spirit of dedication to gamers. Hail to Spicy Horse.
  7. May 22, 2014
    Take away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly pacedTake away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly paced and feature gratuitous amounts of either lopsided combat or platforming sections. Alice: Madness Returns only features something like four major weapons (poor girl) and once they're introduced and upgraded a few times, old strategies for enemies start becoming obsolete as weapons like the teapot cannon can annihilate even newer "more challenging" enemies (rather quickly I should add). The combat goes from just "fine" to terrible at a moments notice, usually involving a bad camera angle or from not being able to see enemies telegraphing an attack (which the game conveniently PAUSES in order for the player to react to). This would be forgive-able if their was much of any variation in the combat or at least actual combo's, but alas, their isn't much of either. Alice herself has a finicky jumping mechanic that allows her to triple jump, but unfortunately their are sections that expect you to make very large gaps utilizing it and other points where the game decides that you just weren't supposed to make it that far- Meaning of course that you missed (yet again) another invisible platform somewhere between where you started jumping and wherever you need to jump to. Which I could also forgive if this mechanic wasn't endlessly repeated to the point where you really aren't sure if you're even accomplishing anything until you run into a scripted sequence or puzzle. Their is hardly any "flow" to the level design, often you'll get stuck (though not for very long) simply because you missed something like a switch, or a platform or perhaps things got monotonous and you totally forget who you were or what you were doing. Alice herself seems to be hardly engaging as a character which makes moments like bumping into minor characters very trivial and legitametely boring. A lot of the dialogue is flowery and nonsensical (which fans might claim is part of the "charm" of the game and similar to the actual dialogue found in the book). In this case however, the dialogue simply causes the game to come off as an impenetrable mess of writing which sounded lazy, and deliberately eschews decent plot or story for pointless snippets of moronic disconnected gibberish. The only thing that will drag most players in is the general aesthetics, themes, and interesting locations explored in each chapter of the game. Alice: Madness Returns also has some fairly tight controls at times, but its hardly perfect. Its well made enough to get you through it, but many things will get tiresome the longer you play. Physx(tm) additions were hardly interesting, as Alice's clothing and hair physics were already programmed into the games OWN physics engine. This means that the only things effected by the addition of Physx(tm) technology are liquids and various debris. These hardly add anything to the actual experience and serve only to show just how useless Physx(tm) is and how generally leaving it on decreases game performance substantially with hardly any visual benefits. Bloom and a combination of high quality bloom lighting generally covers up areas of the game with horrid texture quality which wouldn't be a terrible problem, but even the re-released copy of the first Alice game, which is included with this game, feature higher quality textures on surfaces than some areas in "Madness Returns." Generally speaking the sound quality is fantastic and the actual music in the game is wonderfully ambient. At times it was the strongest element in a chapter and meshed well with combat sequences. It had a way of lulling you into a false sense of security and fit the art direction very well. The mechanics that don't work as well i.e. platforming, combat, tedious puzzles- serve only to slow down player progression, frustrate and ultimately (though they function) I wouldn't ever call them well executed or fun. They were simply ways to elongate gameplay at the end of the day. It is doubtful, but if these mechanics were put together in a better way, with more focus on tighter level design and with the same art direction- you could make a very good sequel to this game. Something with a bit more polish than this title would be revolutionary. Expand
  8. Jul 10, 2011
    I Don't know how this game can have so high score?!
    First - this is the pale shadow of the idea of American MC Gee Alice. The story/dialogue writer is very INCOMPETENT and UNTALENTED. He wanted to be and to make something of this mess, but he could not. No skills.
    Boring dialogues, confused, long story without any proper turning point. As some kind of irony devs put the first Alice too,
    I Don't know how this game can have so high score?!
    Boring dialogues, confused, long story without any proper turning point.
    As some kind of irony devs put the first Alice too, so you can compare very easy this crap with a masterpiece.

Two - the gameplay is very frustrating - most of the times. Repetitive puzzles and even more repetitive enemies.
    On the tech side - this game is half-backed console port. I Don't know why we have to suffer and to be punished without proper savegame, to have some stupid checkpoints, which are extreme rare and vary far if you die. Sometimes half level is without checkpoint, which is madness if you play with keyboard and mouse. Why?! Because no one from the developers had an idea that keyboard and mouse are standard gaming equipment for PC.
    Dear developers: IF YOU WANT TO PUBLISH YOUR MISERABLE PORTS ON PC THAN MAKE THEM TO BE PLAYABLE FOR PC!!!
    There is no proper video and audio settings too. No depth of field switching off, no motion blur... and there is even no switch for anisotropy. No proper audio options - number of channels, and so on...
    This game have only 2-3 interesting levels and that's IT. If anyone out there is a fan of the AMG Alice, than DO NOT buy this port. You will ruin your memory of the firs one and maybe your nerves.
  9. Aug 30, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a Action Platformer Adventure game (I would say) which is a sequel of the first Alice game (American McGee's Alice). When I picked up the game I was expecting me a story driven game with an amazing and special art style with some of that 3D platforming I really like from game like Super Mario Galaxy and Jak and Daxter, but I got disappointed.

The story is about

The story is about Alice who is back in action but is still haunted by her past. The scene with her house burning with her family in the first game keeps on haunting her in this game. The story got a little to confusing for me on the first run through so I suggest 2 run through the game to grasp the whole story. Gameplay wise the game is a 3D platformer with Super Mario style platforming sections. In this game Alice have a 4 double jumping ability with a leviate ability after each jump. With this mechanic I feel the game has stretched its platform all over the place so the world feels kinda empty. As for the combat; you get 2 melee weapons and 2 ranged weapons. The Vorpal Blade, a fast style weapon which uses small swipes to take of the enemies for you. The Horse Thing, I giant horse head on a stick Alice uses to deal heavy damage with slow attack speed. The Teapot, basically a grenade launcher, and The Peppergrinder, which is basically a machine gun. The combat runs fluid but may be interrupted from time to time because of the camera not willing to work together with you.

Overall I was quite dissapointed over the game. I expected a story driven game but ended up with a un finished hybrid between story and gameplay. In the long run this game got quite annoying and stretches its parts for far to long and just got obnoxuis. I only recommend this game to the player base who is already decided on buying this game just because of the special idea of a F'ed up Alice world.
  10. Oct 24, 2011
    This game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if youThis game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if you have problems. Plus you can easily miss out finding areas because the game pushes you through and the auto save keeps you from being able to go back. I really want to love this game, but I can't until the major issues are fixed. Expand
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    A pretty mediocre platforming game, however it is the art style and the character of the game that makes this one worth a play.
  12. Feb 8, 2015
    If you like (1) "learn by dying a lot" type of game, (2) lack of save-points, (3) ill-placed re-spawns, and (4) 2001 graphics (think "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"), then this game will probably not disappoint you. I, on the other hand, became very aggravated after chapter I, and I only didn't give up completely because I was able to turn god mode on. I only rated it a 5/10 (as opposed toIf you like (1) "learn by dying a lot" type of game, (2) lack of save-points, (3) ill-placed re-spawns, and (4) 2001 graphics (think "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"), then this game will probably not disappoint you. I, on the other hand, became very aggravated after chapter I, and I only didn't give up completely because I was able to turn god mode on. I only rated it a 5/10 (as opposed to 0) because the developers tried hard to come up with an unique game; it's a shame that they fell short. Expand
  13. Aug 26, 2011
    amazing sound design and graphical level design go a very long way to excusing rather repetitive game play at times.

Every second of the game feels like an analyses of the protagonists psyche as it should, coupled with a surprisingly dark story provided plenty of incentive as well to play through the overlong levels especially in the second half of the game. Combat is instantly

Combat is instantly recognizable from similar action games like god of war or darksiders and does little to nothing to add to that side of the genre.

You will get the most enjoyment from this playing it simply to see the next bizarre set piece, and that's how I strongly suggest it be played.
  14. Feb 14, 2012
    First, this game is a console game, which I normally hate, but in this case I was aware of that, as the first Alice already was. It only goes further this time because of the stupid auto-save, which makes you miss a lot of hidden stuff (even though the game is very linear).
    But it's still ok. While game works at 30FPS by default, something we too owe to consoles, fortunately you can tweak some files to get 70, and that changes A LOT.

Visually, and in the narration, Madness Returns took everything from the first, and made it better.
    I thought that it looked a bit "angular" in Youtube movies, and it kinda does, but there's a reason for that: the game is HUGE. Textures aren't too high-res, but there are SO MANY of them and they all look so amazing, well the game is (visually) a real piece of art.
    I also never played a so inspired game. Lots of good ideas in there.

Now the ugly, & why I couldn't give it a higher score: the infamous umbrella bug (but not just that).
    It's really bad, not because it's so tricky to fix, but because everyone on the internet as his own way to fix it, and you have to waste hours trying to find the one that works. And it's not even complex.. once you know it. Also the bug occurs when a boss arrives, and you really wonder what's wrong with it, EVEN THOUGH I already knew about the umbrella bug (imagine the one who hasn't..), it's really tricky because even when it works, it only works during targeting (more on that later).

The first levels are easy enough, but there's a big problem with the gameplay, you hardly get a hint (or rather, you get misleading ones) on whether you hit the enemy or not. So you fail to beat a boss several times in a row, you wonder what's wrong, if you're missing a specific strategy, you check Youtube, and you realize that no, there was no strategy, you just have to shoot the boss for minutes until he dies.
    It's supposed to be easier when using the targeting system, but that targeting system.. just blows. First, it's the one thing you expect on console but NOT ON A PC. But sadly, you have to use it, many times
    Second, it doesn't help, it often does more harm than good.
    But anyway, if you start cheating (something you learn while trying to fix the umbrella bug) during the middle of the game, the experience won't be worse, the fights are just fun during the first half, believe me.

The platform aspect of the game is enjoyable, sure you miss a lot, but the game is very forgiving. The triple jump+floating sometimes makes it more a flight simulator than a platformer, but that's definitely enjoyable, and better than the first Alice.
    I wasn't convinced about the shrinking replacing crouching at first, but it's actually very nice.

The level design.. well it's good, except for the "dolls" part that's really repetitive. But there's one problem with it: as I wrote, the artwork is wonderful, but it's just that, artwork. This is the kind of game for which the level design was made roughly, and then levels were filled with artwork, but NOT TOUCHING the "hit" geometry. That is, there are a lot of nicely crafted objects, mountains & all, but very rough hit boxes around them all, and you often see stuff that you can't climb on or pass under, just because they're only decoration.

But again, it looks amazing, you don't expect this quality for such a huge game. And actually, in the level you visit the most in the game (the town part), you can see what the artists can achieve when they put even more work, and it's gorgeous.
    And of course, it's Alice, and she has a really great charism.

Oh, and the vocals. By mistake I played the french version, and thought it would have been a mistake, but no! The localization is EXCELLENT, and it's extremely rare (in fact, the last good localization I remember is in the first Alice). More, it's not just the vocals, even all of the signs in game have been translated with taste. The only few glitches are people speaking over themselves because french is typically longer, but that's rare enough.

So I believe that Madness Returns is a game that should have been a movie. The narration & graphics are amazing, it's more adult than the first Alice, and as a movie it would have blown Tim Burton's stuff. But I can't imagine this ever made as a movie, because a movie costs big money & thus has to be watchable by kids, which this game isn't at all (not so much because of the visuals but because of some of the subjects in the story).
  15. Jun 25, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns falls short on gameplay but excels in atmosphere and art. The platforming, while fun at first, becomes tiresome towards the end. I felt that each level was stretched out to be just a bit too repetitive, particularly the Doll House. The combat was a strong point of the game and is fast-paced and exciting, though it too suffers from some repetitiveness. A biggerAlice: Madness Returns falls short on gameplay but excels in atmosphere and art. The platforming, while fun at first, becomes tiresome towards the end. I felt that each level was stretched out to be just a bit too repetitive, particularly the Doll House. The combat was a strong point of the game and is fast-paced and exciting, though it too suffers from some repetitiveness. A bigger variety of enemies and the inclusion of boss fights would have gone a long way. As I mentioned the atmosphere of the game, like its predecessor, is fantastic. The art and music immerse the player in a sick and twisted fantasy world. The story is good enough to drive the game, and the ending is satisfying. The ideas and concepts are fresh in an industry plagued by dull first person shooters, but the execution could use some polish. While I gave a rating of 7, I would give the game a 6.5 overall. Expand
  16. Jul 6, 2011
    I've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. TheI've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. The gameplay suffers from repeating the same tasks and puzzles over and over, but when the combat gets going it really is fun - it's a shame that the flow of the game isn't consistent, as there are moments when I ask myself "Gosh, is this really worth it?". The answer, so far, is yes; every time I've been frustrated, exhausted, or just plain bored, there's always been something to make up for it around the corner. Strange game. Expand
  17. Jul 20, 2011
    Good: Really nice and varied environments, good platform based puzzles and game play, and really liked the double jump/glide. Some pretty disturbing parts and somewhat interesting story.

Bad:The negative side of this game is definitely how repetitive it feels, i did not finish it because after the water level i realized that if i kept playing it would be the same repetitive grind of almost the same thing but with different theme on the level.
    Make it shorter and cheaper or make it less repetitive.
  18. Feb 8, 2012
    Great game with fantastic original artwork and very fun to play. The only reason it is not higher is that the pc controls are unworkable so i was forced to use a 360 controller which was unfortunate. It was also marked down for a game breaking bug where you could not use the umbrella which is a core part of the game if you remapped the controls. That aside, the graphics and artwork wereGreat game with fantastic original artwork and very fun to play. The only reason it is not higher is that the pc controls are unworkable so i was forced to use a 360 controller which was unfortunate. It was also marked down for a game breaking bug where you could not use the umbrella which is a core part of the game if you remapped the controls. That aside, the graphics and artwork were second to none and despite it dragging out for a bit near then end, it was a VERY enjoyable experience. I look forward to something more from these devs. Expand
  19. Nov 8, 2011
    The keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its aThe keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its a good game. Expand
  20. Aug 12, 2012
    What i like about this game is that the art style and the game world is simply amazing. There are tons of thing to stop and look at and in 3D its just stunning. The story is pretty bad and i really didnt get it before the end of the game and than it was like a little to late to make a difference. The graphics is pretty average but the amazing game world makes it stand out. Overall theWhat i like about this game is that the art style and the game world is simply amazing. There are tons of thing to stop and look at and in 3D its just stunning. The story is pretty bad and i really didnt get it before the end of the game and than it was like a little to late to make a difference. The graphics is pretty average but the amazing game world makes it stand out. Overall the games gameplay was way to repetetive but somehow i still kept pushing through because i wanted to see what crazy map i could play on next Expand
  21. Feb 20, 2012
    This is not an innovative game in the sense that it has come up with some brilliant new concept. Rather, the game is something of a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot series but it has taken the same childish simplicity and brought it into a mature context. The graphic designers have decided not to pursue realism, but rather have gone in a similar direction to that of the Bioshock seriesThis is not an innovative game in the sense that it has come up with some brilliant new concept. Rather, the game is something of a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot series but it has taken the same childish simplicity and brought it into a mature context. The graphic designers have decided not to pursue realism, but rather have gone in a similar direction to that of the Bioshock series ââ Expand
  22. Apr 16, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a pretty good game. Despite dull and sometimes repetitive textures, Alice: MR still manages to be aesthetically pleasing. This is due to the great use or art style and design. The designs to most of the characters are interesting and relate them to something physical or psychological with Alice herself (much like Silent Hill's monster designs). This is a matureAlice: Madness Returns is a pretty good game. Despite dull and sometimes repetitive textures, Alice: MR still manages to be aesthetically pleasing. This is due to the great use or art style and design. The designs to most of the characters are interesting and relate them to something physical or psychological with Alice herself (much like Silent Hill's monster designs). This is a mature game and there are some mature messages and innuendos throughout. The sound design is good, but not particularly memorable. There is quite a bit length to this game and that contributes to a bit of a been-there-done-that feeling in the last 1/4 of it. The combat expands throughout the game with the introduction of new weapons, but it's not a big list and does get tiresome later on. Platforming plays a big part in this game as well and I found it to be a bit cumbersome with the mouse and keyboard, but once I plugged in my controller everything was smooth sailing. And that pretty much wraps up this game. It is a good game and worth a play-through, but it's nothing fantastic.
    VERDICT: Worth a bargain-bin buy. 7/10
  23. Jul 11, 2013
    The psychological and aesthetic elements of grimy, disease-ridden industrial London are a joy to see in the real-world segments, as Alice drifts between waking sanity and the mad dream of Wonderland; it really is fascinating to compare Wonderland's inhabitants and state to its real-world counterparts, and see what inspires the dreams. This is enough to score a marginally favorable reviewThe psychological and aesthetic elements of grimy, disease-ridden industrial London are a joy to see in the real-world segments, as Alice drifts between waking sanity and the mad dream of Wonderland; it really is fascinating to compare Wonderland's inhabitants and state to its real-world counterparts, and see what inspires the dreams. This is enough to score a marginally favorable review out of me, but with the caveats of the game's many flaws: Wonderland itself has become exceedingly dull, lacking the feel of the original game's Wonderland or the original books'; the new moving-cutout cutscene style just seems lazy rather than interesting; Roger Jackson has forgotten how to do the Cheshire Cat properly; framerate frequently drops into choppy hell regardless of the machine you run it on; and perhaps worst of all: exactly one boss battle, but the game teases a thousand more.

Let me give you an example from the first few hours of the game (it's more than long enough that this is hardly a spoiler): the Dormouse and the March Hare have stolen the Hatter's limbs, and you have to go recover them. In so doing, you fight your way through their respective levels. At the end of the level, however, rather than fight you, each one runs away, leaving the limbs behind for you to simply retrieve. This is okay so far. But then, after you've put the Hatter back together and followed him to face the Hare and Dormouse together, he is picked up by a machine arm as he enters what is clearly a boss battle chamber. An enormous steampunk monstrosity, jointly piloted by the Hare and the Dormouse, rises up and prepares to fight you...and then the arms drop and fall off, the Hare and the Dormouse are ejected forward onto the main platform (both dead), and the Hatter drops out of nowhere in a stereotypical "badass landing" pose. Cue wake-up cutscene.

And this sort of teasing happens CONSTANTLY, until the very last boss. This isn't interesting. This is just frustrating. I want to play a game, American McGee, so how about you LET ME PLAY IT and stop playing it for me at every climax?
  24. Jan 11, 2014
    As a big fan of the first Alice, overrall I loved Madness Returns; I would certainly have enjoyed it a lot more if I hand't had to struggle with the terrible controls, the irritating camera and the various other bugs plaguing the game. There are a lot of nice ideas and great creepy music too. It does indeed feel a little dated - I believe it was delayed for years -, but the visual talentAs a big fan of the first Alice, overrall I loved Madness Returns; I would certainly have enjoyed it a lot more if I hand't had to struggle with the terrible controls, the irritating camera and the various other bugs plaguing the game. There are a lot of nice ideas and great creepy music too. It does indeed feel a little dated - I believe it was delayed for years -, but the visual talent of the game designers is unquestionable. Pity for the frustrating problems affecting an otherwise rewarding experience; I recommend purchasing it with a discount on Origin, it's nice but certainly not worth 50 bucks, and be prepared to tweak some config files if you want to get through the whole game. I gave it a 7, all things considered it might be a generous score, but it just feels so good to be back in Wonderland... Expand
  25. sft
    Jul 24, 2016
    Bite me!

Bite me!

I don’t care much for platformers but decided to pick up a copy of AMR while it was on sale simply because it looked intriguing. What drew me the most was the visual design, and this is where the game scores most highly. It’s very striking visually (although the quality of the graphics could be better), and it’s in keeping with the various other imaginings of Wonderland that have been produced over the years. It has a reasonably strong story line and the voice acting is of a high standard too, both of which help to make the AMR version of Wonderland all the more convincing. So what of the gameplay? Well I’m no expert due to my dislike of the genre but the platforming here is fun for the most part although it got old for me about two-thirds of the way through. The combat is okay and their are some cool weapons, such as a teapot cannon and an awesome hobby horse melee weapon. But the game utilises a crazy targeting system that seemed utterly pointless to me and spoiled some of the fun. Overall I was impressed by AMR, and it was fun to play. It has not, however, converted me into an ardent platformer.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    Forget both the haters's and fanboys's reviews. They do not make justice to the game.

A: MR is a decent game with a decent port to PC. Yes, the controls feel clunky on PC, but it is playable. I completed the game on Nightmare on my first run without problems. However, the technical problems are, like Fuz said, an abomination. The art is fantastic. From the various locations in

The art is fantastic. From the various locations in Wonderland to Alice's dresses, the game is really well designed. It's a pity the graphics do not make justice to the art at all.

The gameplay is entertaining enough, with fast-paced battles and somewhat challenging puzzles, plus 4 or 5 mini-games throughout the whole story.

The OST is limited, but fantastic. It really enhances the ambient you are, whether it's a sad, scary or a beautiful one.

The story is really well, but at the same time it isn't. It's filled with plot-holes I can't seem to answer, specially the very end, where I find many plot-holes to be found on an apparently not well-thought plot. This game, just like the first Alice, needed a lot more work explaining the story and what happened to Alice in the real world IN DETAIL, whether it was on cinematics or in memories inside Wonderland. Though this still wouldn't fix some problems with Alice's family's death plot-holes, it would make the game more enjoyable and the plot more understandable.

The game overall feels too short though. I ended it in 3 days. Maybe that's why the story has many plot-holes, they couldn't make all the story fit in such a short game.
    Like I said, the game needed a lot more emphasis explaining the story. It kinda feels like they were rushed, maybe EA's influence?

A: MR has plenty of collectibles to be found. Bottles containing concept art and biographies on monsters and characters. Memories giving more background on the different character's stories involving Alice and themselves. Small things really, but they enhance the game quite a bit.

So, in resume, the game is ok. You will enjoy it on your first run and maybe have a second for collectibles. But you will forget it quite fast after that.
  27. Aug 16, 2017
    The game pleased the visual component, but it upset the gameplay part, it's kind of diverse, but at the same time, all the elements of the game very quickly become boring at the end of the game, and there is a desire to finish the game as quickly as possible.

1. Oct 17, 2011
    All in all, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a good sequel. Not superlative, but not a cheap knockoff. If topsy-turvy architecture, steampunk menaces, and Victorian psychotherapy tickle your geek itch, this is a title well worth playing.
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a living contradiction, an unholy union of incredible visual flair and ho-hum gameplay.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 8, 2011
    Combat is flawed, but does little to detract from the game's breathtaking depiction of lunacy. [Sept 2011, p.61]