Alice: Madness Returns PC

8.4

1. Jun 15, 2011
    And it delivered.
    And it delivered.
    It delivered oh so well.
    Where do I even begin?

This new iteration of Alice appears to be bigger and better in every way.
    There is a plethora of collectibles, bonus objectives, the so-called "memories", etc., but none of them are boring or tedious to get.There is a huge variety of clothing for Alice as well.
    The intro cinematic is macabre, moody, dark, pulls you in the moment it starts and sets the mood perfectly.

The music..Let's just say that while I was disappointed at first that Chris Vrenna is only doing one track for the new game, the new composer nails it perfectly and does a fantastic job. Most of the pieces are outstanding in their own, like the main theme, some of the battle music.They do a flawless job of enhancing the atmosphere without being intrusive.
    They're errie yet beautiful.They juggle your mood from sadness to hope.The style of music itself is somewhat different from the original game, but the QUALITY is in no way worse.

The controls are fluid and require little getting used to, they just seem natural and aren't that hard to master.The camera is great, rotation is very helpful and the ability to go intro first person is a great touch.Alice's movements are great, her motion capture is very well done, her facial expressions are great.

Mostly every NPc you encounter actually has something to say - not random gibberish, mind you.And Alice often responds.

Which brings us to the next major strong point of the game - the vocie acting and dialogue.
    I'd lie through my teeth if I said I didn't expect both to be top-notch, but I was still very, very pleased with what they did.
    The dialogue is witty, doesn't feel forced, lines are often cryptic and metaphoric, they perfectly fit with the dark tone the game sets by shrouding a lot of what is said in mystery. The vocie acting..It's just perfect, I can't say much about that.There are fcew NPCs that aren't on par, but the ones who stand out the most are Alice and Dr. Bumby (for me, at least.)

The game has a great variety of characters, all unique, all interesting, all with their separate personalities and you're often left wondering what are their real intentions.

Combat has been flawless so far. I loved how McGee and his team preserved the core original style, but brought much innovation into the sequel's.Weapons are over-the-top, extremely fun to use and original.
    What I love even more is that fighting requires tactic - you can't win by just sitting and spamming one attack in one place. The game knows the player wants a challenge and rightfully delivers.
    Every weapon, naturally, has its own tactics, much like in the original game.

The graphics, while not being exactly groundbreaking (but who said they have to be?) are quite something - Alice herself, the locations, enemies all look gorgeous and there is extreme attention to detail in a lot of departments. Of course, there are the occasional blurry textures absolutely every game has, but that is is no way adetriment to the enjoyment of how good the twisted, yet beautiful Wonderland and its inhabitants look.Alice in particular is quite detailed, her hair flows around very naturally while jumping/running and her movements are believable and more or less realistic. The game utilizes the Unreal engine and does a very good job at using its potential.

The gameplay is everything I expected and much, much more.
    A platforming game in a gorgeous setting with detailed environments and interesting puzzles that seem to find the perfect balance - as in, they're not that hard to figure out, but the game won't spoonfeed you what to do, either. And I love that. And finally, the storyline.
    It's just fantastic.Deep, immersive, gritty, macabre, enchanting, depressing.
    It's flawlessly paced, flawlessly told and perfectly presented.
    Helping Alice overcome her sorrow, guilt and escape from the depths of her madness is something you truly take to heart if you let the world of the game suck you in (which it has no trouble doing.)
    In the spirit of keeping this spoiler-free, let's just say that the game offers everything the original did and much more, and does an even better job at doing it.

Overall, this game is more or less a shining gem that every fan of platforming adventure, mingled with tactical combat needs to try out.
    It's beautiful, dark, thrilling, and a stunning journey to the depths of insanity.
    Perfect score for being a perfect game.
  2. Mar 19, 2012
    I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller.I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller. It is certainly not for everybody, however, as it is very dark. Overall, it is a very beautiful game. Quite the hidden gem. Expand
  3. Oct 17, 2011
    It's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hiddenIt's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hidden elements are disadvantages. my opinion about this game: Alice Madness Returns has beautifully twisted art style and atmosphere. the gameplay is not innovative but still fun. The game itself is filled with intense action, interactive environments, and interesting puzzles. Yes, Alice MR has its own problems, for example, the length is a bit short comparing to the original one and the control can be jerky at times. yet, playing through game is still an enjoyable experience. Overall a sold 8 out of 10. Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2011
    1) Art: The amazing art direction is still there. I see a lot of things in Alice: Madness Returns that they probably wanted to do in the original but the technology wasn't really up to it at the time. The attention to detail and the uniqueness of the settings compared to what we often get in most other games these days is pretty amazing. The last few areas in particular are really1) Art: The amazing art direction is still there. I see a lot of things in Alice: Madness Returns that they probably wanted to do in the original but the technology wasn't really up to it at the time. The attention to detail and the uniqueness of the settings compared to what we often get in most other games these days is pretty amazing. The last few areas in particular are really immersive and quite creepy.

2) Graphics: On max settings, the graphics are actually pretty impressive thanks to the unreal engine. The graphics do not look photo-realistic, but they are not meant to. For the most part, the texture work is quite well done, along with the rest of the art assets. There are a few low resolution textures here or there, but not enough to ruin the experience. One potential annoyance, however, is that the game is by default capped at 30fps. This seems like a strange choice to me, and luckily it can be fixed by editing an .ini file.

3) Physx: Some people don't seem to like physx, but I think these are mostly the people who either don't have a gpu that supports it in hardware, or they haven't bothered to try the game with physx. In this game, the physx adds a lot to the immersion. You get nice volumetric smoke and fog effects, apex destructible objects, cloth and hair physics, dust and other environment particles, fluid simulations, etc. If you haven't seen the game with physx enabled, you are definitely missing out. The subtle physics effects in this game are part of what makes it so beautiful in action.

4) Sound: The sound is quite good and very fitting for the different scenarios. The voice acting is excellent and really gives personality to the characters. The sound effects are well designed and of course everything sounds great in a surround set up. Jason Tai replaces Chris Vrenna this time around for the soundtrack and he doesn't disappoint. The music varies a fair amount, but always has a bit of a dark or sad edge to it.

5) Gameplay: The gameplay is relatively simple as with the original. Alice: Madness Returns does improve on the original in a lot of ways though. Aside from simply having more mechanics, the enemy encounters feel more dire and are more engaging. You do have to use different tactics for each enemy, which wasn't so much the case with the first one. There's more little minigames and puzzles and stuff like that too. Each weapon really feels like it has its place.

6) Story: If you enjoy dark, gothic, Victorian aesthetics, you will like this. It might be said that perhaps because of the nature of the story, the game is more linear than it could otherwise have been, but I don't see this as a real problem. I'm fine with linearity if it's done to support good storytelling, and I think that's what we get here. I will say that I am a bit surprised with just how dark the story turned out to be. They touched on some topics I wouldn't have expected, adding a level of maturity often not seen here.

7) Conclusion: I think that the sequel definitely lives up to the original. Everything about the original is done just as well and often quite a bit better.

As I said, the game is relatively simple, but that's not a bad thing. It's a beautiful game, and more importantly, it's very fun. Just exploring the different environments and seeing the sights is worth the price of admission I think. Some who are looking for more action may disagree and claim that the game is boring, but if you have a bit of patience and an appreciation for unique and inspired art design, I think you will have fun here.

If you're the type of person who likes old-school platformers or the original Alice, I'm pretty sure you'll like this game. The platforming elements are done well, the controls are slick, although I recommend using a pad for this. Trying to do the jumping puzzles with a mouse and keyboard is not as easy.

7) Rating: I don't like giving ratings, but if I had to give this one it'd probably be 9.5/10. One point missing because I feel that there are many other cool ideas that could have been in the game that weren't, but I understand that games have to be published in a given timeframe with a given budget, and I don't feel let down at all by what I've experienced so far. What they did choose to put in the game is great. Indeed, playing this has been one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences I've had this year for sure, and probably longer.

Finally, I hope they release a demo so that people can experience this cool game and decide for themselves. I think a lot of the reviews from the big gaming sites are misleading (I wonder how many of them played and enjoyed the original?) and probably will turn some people away from the game who would really have enjoyed it. If you look back, the original Alice didn't get such great ratings from many places either, but down the road it was definitely recognized as a gem. I think this will be the same.
  5. Jun 30, 2011
    There are two things to be said about Alice: Madness Returns.

There are two things to be said about Alice: Madness Returns.

One, it's the first game I was able to play top-bottom (25h and counting now) with NO crash or bugs. How many games there days come with no bugs at all? A minority have bugs that are related to hardware and drivers, not the game itself. Secondly, this game brings back the golden age of gaming where entertainment and fun where more important then raw number of fans or money made. It's platforming, it is easy, and it's majestic on it's simplicity. A fair change from the pointless shooters we all came to see as standard.

Make no mistakes, the game has it's downsizes, like some annoying aiming issues with ranged weapons (eventually you learn how to use it without pain), but the repetitiveness of level design is totally forgotten when you are eager to see the artwork, the stunning visuals, and - for your first play - get to learn more about Alice's past.

Some games are short and you play it several times to enjoy it's worth (at all), but Alice is long: instead of playing it 10 times, you will play it twice and still sum up more enjoyable memories than several other games combined.

And did I mention stunning graphics? a must-have
  6. Jul 27, 2011
    One of the best games that i have played this year beside Witcher 2.This is a rare atmosphere which could be found in this game and you talk about game play,graphics , atmosphere or even story in every aspect this game shines in Pc version.
  7. Jul 23, 2011
    Reminds me of the good old platforming games like Crash or Croc... except here we play a psycho girl with a knife, how cool is that? I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the performance issues i've expierenced.
  8. Jun 21, 2011
    Fantastic visuals, twisted plot, fun game play. If you liked the original American McGee's Alice, you'll love Madness Returns.

Cute yet creepy environments that are beautifully detailed abound in this successor to the original. The controls are well done, but could be slightly better. Summary, if you liked the first one, you'll love this. Classic platforming at it's best.
  9. Jun 21, 2011
    It's not _that_ Alice. She is looking like a Frankenstein's monster in all senses.

That Alice died together with the queen of hearts. Ten years have been passed. She became older, sharper, darker and more... mature. Good news: main characters and some levels still have _that_ spooky madness spirit. The main attractor - great game atmosphere is not lost. Bad news: game-play is not

Bad news: game-play is not solid. It looks like a mishmash of quite unrelated parts. If in the first part most of small puzzles were entertaining, in this game they are boring and disturbing. Great art and design. Quite faded game-play. That's why she is good but not one of the best.
  10. Jul 2, 2011
    The game is what it is, a platformer with no real surprises from start to finish. It adds in new puzzles, and new enemies as you go along, but there's no real gameplay changes. Overall a VERY fun game, and unexpectedly challenging at times.
  11. Jun 28, 2011
    Pretty awesome game, ignore the "pro" critics and buy this to enjoy beatiful graphics and excellent gameplay in a sequel that has delivered extra value than the first game 10 years ago.
  12. Jun 26, 2011
    True to what seems to be a trend, the "pro" critics show they know little to nothing about what makes a game good through their ratings. Don't be fooled, this game is good. I will mention, first off, that there are many aspects of the game that feel unpolished, such as getting stuck on the terrain at times, not having an animation for sudden turns or changes in direction, or being unableTrue to what seems to be a trend, the "pro" critics show they know little to nothing about what makes a game good through their ratings. Don't be fooled, this game is good. I will mention, first off, that there are many aspects of the game that feel unpolished, such as getting stuck on the terrain at times, not having an animation for sudden turns or changes in direction, or being unable to adjust your camera at all while using a jump float. But despite those problems, they aren't game breaking by any stretch of the word, and are more annoyances at worst than anything. The visual aesthetic is incredible, and truly captures and reflects a world brought to its knees in madness. It's worth stopping on occasion to take in the environments and how meticulous they can be. I can't really emphasize enough how amazing the graphic stylization is for this game. It's nothing short of perfect. The music score compliments the gorgeous environments perfectly by adding to the feeling each world possesses. The story doesn't start to become truly interesting until about halfway through the game. That's not to say that the game or story is boring up until that point, but the real meat of the whole ordeal starts to unfold at around that mark. My only real gripe with the game is that some of the mini-games implemented, while simple and easy to solve, feel largely unnecessary, and take away from the immersive experience the game offers. Don't listen to what these so-called expert critics have to say. This game has been worth the money, and was a great experience overall Expand
  13. Jun 22, 2011
    This is one of the best action games I have played so far. It is a mix of such classic games as Conkerâ
  14. Sep 21, 2011
    This game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replayThis game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replay ability poor. Another let down was the ending and end boss fight was a little too boring and cliche. But still enjoyed its gross gory wonderland fun puzzle thriller. Expand
  15. Jun 26, 2011
    Alice: MR doesn't bring much new to the platforming genre, but it should stop anyone from purchasing it. The graphics might be a tad dated, but the art is fantastic and I don't think I've seen such uniqueness before. The story is good if not a bit chilling. The only knock I can make on this game is the mouse acceleration is tad overpowering, enough for me to plug in an Xbox controller-Alice: MR doesn't bring much new to the platforming genre, but it should stop anyone from purchasing it. The graphics might be a tad dated, but the art is fantastic and I don't think I've seen such uniqueness before. The story is good if not a bit chilling. The only knock I can make on this game is the mouse acceleration is tad overpowering, enough for me to plug in an Xbox controller- but I usually prefer to play 3rd person platformers with a controller. I have no idea how the critic score can not be in the 80s+, they obviously didn't buy the game with their own money or they wouldn't have been disappointed. Expand
  16. Jul 3, 2011
    This is the sequel that i've waited SO long for and it delivered with flying colors!
    Darker than ever, Stunning visuals and an Awesome story..
    i'm very satisfied and impressed.
    10years worth the wait :)
  17. Aug 1, 2011
    The only bad thing I can complain about this game is the collectables part throughout the chapters which include all those bottles, memories, pig snouts, etc that really make anyone who plays divert his/her attention from enjoying the game and atmosphere, the story line and humor to the tedious and frustrating part of collecting everything. Of course one could easily finish the game andThe only bad thing I can complain about this game is the collectables part throughout the chapters which include all those bottles, memories, pig snouts, etc that really make anyone who plays divert his/her attention from enjoying the game and atmosphere, the story line and humor to the tedious and frustrating part of collecting everything. Of course one could easily finish the game and not worry about all this, but it's so frustrating to try and clear out all the tiny spaces and alternate routes, when you are done with a chapter and see you got 1x and 2y left to collect you feel like bashing your head on the desk. Not to say re-playing a chapter or part of a chapter will reset your autosave to that particular part. In the end this is an amazing game that would have been less frustrating if they left the collectibles part out of your face. Expand
  18. Aug 17, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

The bulk of the criticism this game seems to receive is due to how "dated" the gameplay feels, and how similar it is to platformer games of the previous years, but is that really a bad thing? Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will enjoy the gameplay, as it's relatively the same gameplay we've seen. You traverse through a variety of levels, killing enemies that you come across.

The main selling point of this game is the graphics and art style, which feature a dark, twisted, almost Burten-esque view of the tradition Wonderland from the original source material (not like the CGI movie of his). Each world has a drastically different theme, ranging from steampunk styled castles, to a twisted doll/toybox level.

If there's a downside to this game, it would have to be the minigames that occur in almost each level. Just about each level has their own unique minigames which you'll play several times throughout, raning from a sidescrolling arcade type shooter, to a sidecrolling platformer (akin to the old Mario games), and even a marble blast type minigame in which you control a doll's head. At first these games are quirky and interesting, providing a decent break from the main gameplay, but they become redundant and boring after a while.
  19. Mar 23, 2012
    The graphics are the best I've ever seen! Because They Are Not perfect, but why is an amazing piece of art! Innovative gameplay up to see, soundtrack and Competent and well fulfills excellant role, but the most demanding gamers to get pros Can get repetitive and there are some bugs That hinder gambling. Certainly it is one of the best games of 2011 and Perhaps the best platform game thisThe graphics are the best I've ever seen! Because They Are Not perfect, but why is an amazing piece of art! Innovative gameplay up to see, soundtrack and Competent and well fulfills excellant role, but the most demanding gamers to get pros Can get repetitive and there are some bugs That hinder gambling. Certainly it is one of the best games of 2011 and Perhaps the best platform game this year, I recommend! Expand
  20. Aug 30, 2011
    beautiful graphics, good story, psychological violence that contrasts well with the graphics caricatured final, beautiful PhysX effects

As a fan of america Mcgee, Alice, reawakened the interest of the dark side of the classic story, would not surprise me in the near future on the big screen to see the film
  21. Oct 6, 2013
    Should be called "Alice goes to slimelight" it's so goth fashion. However it's a great game, with a few niggles... Camera choices are sometimes a bit... er... Sometimes the targeting is broken and you'll end up dying simply because the camera couldn't be bothered to shift. Thankfully the game and atmosphere are good enough to make you able to ignore these setbacks.
  22. Feb 8, 2012
    Absolutely stunning and very beautiful game. If you don't have a very nice computer don't even bother because you won't be able to fully enjoy the beauty of it. A perfect sequel to the first game and didn't dissapoint. Very compelling and unique plot.
  23. Nov 29, 2014
    Alice: Madness Returns is one of the best games I have ever played. Good games nowadays are hard to find. Here's my breakdown:

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby 2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging 3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game 4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby
    2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging
    3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game
    4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be unresponsive at times, and can be better

Overall, a fantastic game.
  24. Jan 30, 2013
    I have found this game to be really quite fun. The layout of wonderland is always well done, and can go from beautiful and peaceful, to very bleak and empty. I enjoyed the gameplay, although I can see why others may have found some aspects repetitive. The voice acting was very good, with a odd but otherwise fairly solid plot. I would happily recommend this game.
  25. Mar 15, 2013
    this game is awesome i loved every second of it and just wish that it was even longer than what it was. if you havnt got this game already you should go and buy it.
  26. Dec 28, 2013
    Great level design and overall game play. Alice looks good and the physics of the hair is well done. The levels are inspired and never get boring hence there is always something new and unexpected thrown at you, just like a mad dream. Combat is satisfying with lots of combination of weapons at your disposal as the game progresses. Fun and addictive!
  27. Jun 6, 2014
    Damn those critics... When this game was released 3 years ago I just overlooked it. Reviews were mediocre and most of them were based on tedious gameplay mechanics and technical flaws. 2 weeks ago I picked it up and woah..... what an amazing game.. Visually, it's stunning. Such a imagination, wonderful design of levels and characters.. I stopped and looked at those locations dozens ofDamn those critics... When this game was released 3 years ago I just overlooked it. Reviews were mediocre and most of them were based on tedious gameplay mechanics and technical flaws. 2 weeks ago I picked it up and woah..... what an amazing game.. Visually, it's stunning. Such a imagination, wonderful design of levels and characters.. I stopped and looked at those locations dozens of times. We don't see such an art in games to often. And gameplay is surprising also fun, solid.. nothing new but still more than servicable. Story is also great, dark, misterious and even shocking at times.
    What can I say, if u havent played it, go now... buy it, it's cheap now and u wont regret.
  28. Aug 18, 2015
    this game shows nice graphic effect by unreal engine. physx effect is nice too. the action is very nice enough to buy only for this point. but the part of latter is a little boring.
  29. Nov 9, 2015
    I'm a total sucker for "twisted fairy tale" settings so this one earns easy points from me. It's weird and twisted, sometimes bloody and violent, and makes for a very fun journey, if not the most polished one.

Gameplay is a mix of platforming and combat, both of which are so-so. Never too frustrating but never feeling especially engaging. The real strength is the setting and backdrop, exploring deeper and deeper to find out what creepy surprises await you as you press on. It's worth diving into, and I had enough fun with it to keep going right to the end, and it is surprisingly long too, clocking in at 10-12 hours if you take your time to look around.
  30. Dec 15, 2015
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。
    この高評価の理由はひとえにグラフィックの素晴らしさ故。
    でもゲームとしては微妙な出来。 アクションと戦闘がそれぞれ乖離しており、しかもどちらも練り込み方が不充分でかなり単調なものになってしまっている。 地形を活かして自分の好きなスタイルで戦い方を形作ることができた前作とは比べ物にならない。 しかもPCでのプレー時にキー操作を受け付けなくなる重大なバグがあり、そのバグ以外でもしばしばキー入力がキャンセルされる現象が発生する。 そのため著しくゲーム世界への没入が妨げられる。 とりわけフォーカスが効かなくなるバグなど重大で基本的なものがリリース後数年経った今でもまったくバグフィックスされていないことに驚きを禁じ得ない。
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。

悲惨な出来事が契機になって発生した無意識内容との格闘と魂の救済という主題はどこへ行ってしまったのか。

グラフィック以外は何をとっても中途半端で雑。
    前作をこのグラフィックで出して欲しい。
  31. Jun 18, 2011
    A bizarre, yet beautiful world. It's one of the ways I can describe the Wonderland in the sequel of McGee's masterpiece. I've played the original few years ago and can say for sure that Madness Returns is as good as it's predecessor.

The graphics are beautiful and the use of physx effects on Alice's clothes and hair is amazing. I really can't understand these bad website reviews.

I really can't understand these bad website reviews. Probably they are upset because this game is not for COD generation, with arrows indicating where to go, life auto-regen and smash buttons fest.
  32. Jun 15, 2011
    Let me start off by saying that if you liked the first alice, then you'll LOVE this one. The game is simply amazing. From the extensive amount of detail to the art direction it does nothing less than blow your mind. As a plus, if you happen to have an NVIDIA card you'll be enjoying even more in-depth effects from this masterpiece as it takes full advantage of PHYSX. Pages flying in theLet me start off by saying that if you liked the first alice, then you'll LOVE this one. The game is simply amazing. From the extensive amount of detail to the art direction it does nothing less than blow your mind. As a plus, if you happen to have an NVIDIA card you'll be enjoying even more in-depth effects from this masterpiece as it takes full advantage of PHYSX. Pages flying in the wind, leaves, small particles moving from your feet, more detail to the animations, destructible floors, volumetric smoke, real-time fluids. Simply amazing. The music doesn't dissapoint either, it's right there with the twisted tunes from the first game. I don't want to spoil the game, but let's just say it's very long, twisted, and diverse as far as the artwork goes. If you want this to be a magical trip to your worst nightmares then this game delivers. I have no idea why it's getting 'okay' reviews from the critics because apart from the lack of multiplayer this game is just pure gold. 10/10 from me. Expand
  33. Jun 15, 2011
    I have finished this game and I am confused because I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It felt like a flash back to older platforms with better graphics, great story, and controls that don't get in the way and feel very natural. I see the invisible walls which often bother me in most games but here the world is so very interesting I don't really care that I can't go somewhere that itI have finished this game and I am confused because I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It felt like a flash back to older platforms with better graphics, great story, and controls that don't get in the way and feel very natural. I see the invisible walls which often bother me in most games but here the world is so very interesting I don't really care that I can't go somewhere that it appears I might be able to. Also they have a great system that shows you important things so if there isn't a hint nearby you clearly can't go there. I wonder it the same people that complain about how formulaic games are getting yet give all the COD games 9-10 scores and give wonderful games like this crappy ones. I only came hear after playing the game because I wanted to see if other people thought the game was as absolutely amazing as I did. I was expecting to see 80s, 90s from all the reviewers and was completely caught off guard by the low marks. Expand
  34. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't know what critics are smoking these days, and maybe the console version was lesser (as I haven't played it on console), but the PC version is drop-dead gorgeous, incredible continuation of the story, fluid, twisted, wicked, and just downright fun to play. It has all the elements prior, and alot of new ones.

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well orchestrated sequel that plays, sounds, and feels flawless. Simply compare the amazing user score to the mediocre critic score, and its obvious they either did not play it, or just didn't care. Easily a 10/10.
  35. Aug 4, 2011
    Cannot comment on mouse controls as I use a 360 pad but this game is good fun, I really wasn't expecting much from it, being Alice in Wonderland and me being someone narrow-minded but I really had fun playing this game. It is not the most taxing game in the world but for a 3D platformer it is fun y0.
  36. Jun 17, 2011
    I didn't really want to play this game; I was somewhat disappointed by the first one. I'm glad I picked it up though. This is a very solid and fun game. It is beautiful, yes, but perhaps more importantly it's varied. I'm maybe 4 or 5 hours in and I've seen the gray "real world", vivid wonderland, wasted wonderland, goth/steam-punk factories, icy tundra, and underwater. All have beenI didn't really want to play this game; I was somewhat disappointed by the first one. I'm glad I picked it up though. This is a very solid and fun game. It is beautiful, yes, but perhaps more importantly it's varied. I'm maybe 4 or 5 hours in and I've seen the gray "real world", vivid wonderland, wasted wonderland, goth/steam-punk factories, icy tundra, and underwater. All have been well imagined and interesting. The game play is good. The environments, enemies, weapons and other game mechanics are varied enough to keep things interesting. There are even some quasi-mini-games thrown in. Not enough to be annoying, they're more like well-placed breaks. As some have mentioned there are issues here and there but the good stuff definitely far outweighs the bad. Expand
  37. Jun 16, 2011
    Stunning art style, great music and sound design, solid voice acting and story presentation, good platforming and (albeit simple) combat all wrapped up a great 12-15hour package with tons of unlockable costumes and collectables. Not to mention the first Alice game for free (origin release) all together gives you a ton of bang for your buck. The only thing stopping it from 10 status areStunning art style, great music and sound design, solid voice acting and story presentation, good platforming and (albeit simple) combat all wrapped up a great 12-15hour package with tons of unlockable costumes and collectables. Not to mention the first Alice game for free (origin release) all together gives you a ton of bang for your buck. The only thing stopping it from 10 status are technical issues and some repetition in the combat. Overall HIGHLY recommended to anyone who likes action-platformers. Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2011
    i love it! the visual effects are amazing with the high physical effects, and the art style is righteous, live on alice! haven't played through it yet but i'm enjoying what i have so far.
  39. Jun 14, 2011
    I am really enjoying this game.
    I am really enjoying this game.
    There is a great atmosphere that is brought to the game by the incredibly varied and detailed aesthetics, and when coupled with a great soundtrack and excellent voice acting, it all comes together to create Alice: Madness Returns. The gameplay is fun, although it is not particularly groundbreaking. The nice touches, however, like Alice's dodge turning her into a cloud of butterflies and the particle effects around her dress as she twirls in the air are great.
    All in all, I would recommend buying this game, if you've ever played the first. I just finished the first on Monday, and I am just as impressed with this.
  40. Jun 25, 2011
    Never written a review for metacritic but this game is exceptionally good and unusual and has been really poorly treated by most critics. Like the original this is a gold plated quirky cult classic. If you like alice, creepy victoriana, the film labyrinth, macabre wonderlands or just old fashioned platforming gameplay you'll love this. Writing and art were great throughout - the story,Never written a review for metacritic but this game is exceptionally good and unusual and has been really poorly treated by most critics. Like the original this is a gold plated quirky cult classic. If you like alice, creepy victoriana, the film labyrinth, macabre wonderlands or just old fashioned platforming gameplay you'll love this. Writing and art were great throughout - the story, weaves nicely throughout he many wonderlands - broken up by passages in a grisly grey london populated by hogarthian grotesques. It's easy to see why alice prefers to live in her own head. It's big too - i spent 20 hours in there according to steam trying to find all the secrets and memories. Excellent use of cake too, really enjoyed this! Expand
  41. Jun 23, 2011
    Reviewers got it wrong, combat is deep and rewards strategy, platforming controls are amazing and it has great level & encounter design. Looks fantastic as well, some great aesthetic choices were clearly made during the development at Spicy Horse.

Props to them for releasing a charming 3D platformer in a sea of uninspired shooters.
  42. Jun 15, 2011
    Great Environments, classic gameplay - good customization.

Alice is not call of duty - somehow, I think that's what people (magazine reviewers) were expecting. However, I played Alice because I loved the first game - not because it was my job. I found it quite fun - I enjoy platformers, and that's what this game is primarily. Anyone who likes adventure games will love Alice madness returns.
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    The sequel isn't as good as the first one. Nothing new and innovative about gameplay, but American McGee's Alice doesn't revolve around that, it's about the atmosphere. Today you can rarely find a game with concept like this. Horror-psychological motives are well executed and quite fun, the intro video especially. I say just for that it deserves a 10.
  44. Jun 21, 2011
    Stunning. Absolutely stunning. It's been a long, long time since I've played a game that left me baffled at the level design this much. Every new area I entered, I always just had to look around for a bit first, literally making me go 'ooh' and 'aah' at most occasions. This whole game is just so incredibly lovingly crafted. There's so much detail to everything, I can't even wrap my mindStunning. Absolutely stunning. It's been a long, long time since I've played a game that left me baffled at the level design this much. Every new area I entered, I always just had to look around for a bit first, literally making me go 'ooh' and 'aah' at most occasions. This whole game is just so incredibly lovingly crafted. There's so much detail to everything, I can't even wrap my mind around it. The gameplay in itself is nothing special, but it works just fine. Target lock is a bit shoddy at times, but you'll manage. The dialogue might be a tad bit pretentious, but that actually fits the game's style. But really, this game is a bloody gem. A floating island of gold in a sea of mediocre crap. I've never played a prettier game than this. Expand
  45. Jun 17, 2011
    I loved the first Alice game so much. The idea was great but the game was far from flawless. I still clocked it though. Now, the new one comes along and it is much, much better than the first game and yet somehow scored so low! I don't understand how it is worse than any other AAA game. Okay, maybe I do. It can get a bit repetitive sure, but that doesn't mean the game deserves 6! It easilyI loved the first Alice game so much. The idea was great but the game was far from flawless. I still clocked it though. Now, the new one comes along and it is much, much better than the first game and yet somehow scored so low! I don't understand how it is worse than any other AAA game. Okay, maybe I do. It can get a bit repetitive sure, but that doesn't mean the game deserves 6! It easily deserves 8 out of 10 imo because of its amazing atmosphere, music, very good gfx, art style, nice dialogue, and reasonable action gameplay. I personally was expecting gameplay to be worse and as minimal as the first game but it actually surpassed my expectations. Though, I would like to be more puzzles like the first game. I am 3 hours or so into it and so far no serious or fun puzzles. But this game is a great action/platformer with art style that is unmatched. The amount of imagination put into this just is mind boggling and that is exactly what you expect from an Alice game. A bizarre world! Don't believe in the critics. Especially if you have played the first game and liked it. Expand
  46. Jun 17, 2011
    It is an amazing Game. Nothing more to say. Try it and you'll be caught by Alice, Wonderland and other interesting and unforgettable stuff for quite a long time.
  47. Jun 30, 2011
    Great game. Crazy design, outstanding locations and characters, nice music.
    The only downside is lack off boss fights, but this doesn't make game looks bad.
  48. Jul 1, 2011
    If there's one thing I expected with the second game, it was not to be disappointed. And it delivered. It delivered oh so well. Where do I even begin? This new iteration of Alice appears to be bigger and better in every way. There is a plethora of collectibles, bonus objectives, the so-called "memories", etc., but none of them are boring or tedious to get.There is a huge variety of clothiâ
  49. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's talk about what really makes a game "good," and what game reviews should therefore focus on (and typically don't, at least these days). For me, personally (a "hardcore" gamer with over 25 years of experience), it isn't any of the things that nearly all critical reviews seem to focus on: graphics, sound, etc. Sure, they matter. However, graphics and sound (and an invisible wall here and there) don't make the game, and they certainly don't make it "memorable" or worthy of 9.0+ (out of ten) scores. What, then, are the keys? In my opinion, it's simply a series of questions that couldn't be more simple:

a). Did you feel as though you "loved" the game (and/or character(s)), and did this only intensify as the game progressed?
    b). Upon the game's conclusion, did you feel hopelessly compelled to begin another quest (thank God for "new game +"), in spite of the five or more games you might have downloaded after this one and not played yet?
    c). While playing the game, were there numerous moments where you simply sat in front of your screen in awe of what you were witnessing (artistically, etc.)? How big was the smile on your face, or how trance-like was your state (how absorbed were you into the moment)?
    d). How likely are you to emphatically recommend the game to another and tell them how amazing or truly one-of-a-kind it is (regardless of any reason you can vocalize at said time)?

Really, that's all there is to it. Now, if I go back and look at the average game that say, IGN or Gamespot has given a 9.0 or higher within the past generation(or even 2011, specifically), what will I find? Say I compared these scores to the average gamer score...what's the standard deviation of critcally-scored 9.0 titles vs. gamer scores?

What irks me most is that, without looking, I already know the answers and implications of these questions.
  50. Jun 25, 2011
    i loved the original alice back in the day.
    i still have the box sitting amidst a few other cherished games on my book shelf.
    even that original game was more or less your average platformer in mechanics. but it really was a twisted puzzlebox of madness. the atmosphere, the music.. alice's cold intelligent wit, that bastardly tricky and yet wise "mangy cat", the warped revisions of rabbit,
    i loved the original alice back in the day.
    even that original game was more or less your average platformer in mechanics.
    but it really was a twisted puzzlebox of madness.
    the warped revisions of rabbit, the queen of hearts, mad hatter, the insane environments you wound yourself through, with hacksaw like resolve. floating off into lifelike dream/nightmare realms that you swear you've felt or seen before. all reflecting into alice's eyes as she peers into the looking glass ;)
    this sequel is all of that 2 the Nth degree.
    beautiful graphics,
    music, atmosphere, story.
    exactly what i wanted to play. and im so glad that it was created for me 2 play it. lol.
    i beat it. and now im sad. that its over. and find myself hoping for a 3rd.
    or a movie. or something. maybe a graphic novel. XD.
    anyway. yea. someone said something about it being not unlike a much darker zelda or banjo kazooie somewhere.. i actually told a co-worker that. its a little more linear than either of those games. but that doesn't really take away from it in my opinion.

overall, it has that same special something that the original had.
    and if you enjoyed it the first time,
    i imagine you'll enjoy this return to it.
    i certainly did.
  51. Jun 18, 2011
    this game is everything alice 1 was and much better...the art makes this game a beautiful one...the pc version, once again is th better version with tight controls, great interface....a total underrated gem...love this...pirated, played the first 10 minutes, bought it on steam...thats how much i enjoyed the first 10 minutes...great game..do yourself a favor and play this, its a breath ofthis game is everything alice 1 was and much better...the art makes this game a beautiful one...the pc version, once again is th better version with tight controls, great interface....a total underrated gem...love this...pirated, played the first 10 minutes, bought it on steam...thats how much i enjoyed the first 10 minutes...great game..do yourself a favor and play this, its a breath of fresh air amongst the console crap of nowadays and shooters...a plat former for everyone Expand
  52. Jun 15, 2011
    Pure Art. This game is absolutely fabulous. The characters could use a bit of development in terms of writing, but I was in love with her from the start, and the graphics are unlike anything I've ever seen.
  53. Jun 28, 2011
    It's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigateIt's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigate without my mouse. Also the dodging is super cool with the fairly fun combat thrown in to shake things up (although sometimes I feel like I cheated by stanging behind this rock pillar to prevent this huge monster from getting to me...stepping to the side every now and again to pepper him).

It has fantastic length, doesn't make itself too easy (which is probably why only an idiot will ever rate a game as "0" - we're never going to take you seriously with a score like that you silly little 8 year old) and yet it's absolute fun to play! I'll admit that it does tire one out a little (after 4 hour stretches my mind was saying "enough for now - gimme a break") however it's nice to take a break anyway to come back to this masterpiece (for the OCD friends out there you'll love this one...some objects you'll be hunting for are cleverly hidden in some of the most obvious places that we just seem to overlook).

One more thing - there are these little bits in the game where you enter a painting and play a sort of mini-game - in this mini game it's a side scrolling platformer where you need to control alice again - how refreshing! There is a similar sort of game when you head underwater but I'm not going to ruin that!
  54. Jun 22, 2011
    The new Alice is... wonderful! I hate platformers but this is the best game I've played since... a long time... VtM Bloodlines perhaps? And it's probably the best non-strategy and non-crpg game I've ever played! The music reminds me of Arcanum, the graphic is beautiful, the art direction is ingenious - black & white victorian city, colorful wonderland which manages to be gritty at the sameThe new Alice is... wonderful! I hate platformers but this is the best game I've played since... a long time... VtM Bloodlines perhaps? And it's probably the best non-strategy and non-crpg game I've ever played! The music reminds me of Arcanum, the graphic is beautiful, the art direction is ingenious - black & white victorian city, colorful wonderland which manages to be gritty at the same time... I'm sick of retarded reviewers giving **** like all CoDs, BFs, Bioware games etc automatically 8-10/10 while underrating true pearls, like Alice Madness Returns or Tension: The Void. Gaming journalism is a big and gritty joke, it only serves as an additional PR campaign for popular companies. Ignore the reviews of imbeciles who fap to newest CoD or Mass Effect because it has blue alien sex and play GOOD games instead, like this one. Expand
  55. Jun 21, 2011
    This game isn't without it's flaws but none were game-breaking or enough to take much away from the sheer fun I had playing this title.

The story takes place in London and Wonderland as Alice, now out of the asylum she was in the original game, is in therapy trying to make sense of her life events. Her main goal is to collect the pieces of her shattered memory and rebuild the events of her past and get to the truth of the matter at hand.

With one or two exceptions the graphics are gorgeous. Environments are richly detailed with bright colorful areas and dark sinister areas. Alice and her various dresses are works of art and most of the other characters are well done and well animated though I wish some characters/enemies would have been done a little bit better. The visual style breaks from the 3d game-play rendering with artistic 2d paper diorama style cut-scenes which add a nice break from poor quality 3d cut-scenes found in other games.

Game control is smooth and flowing with jumping, gliding, and combat both responsive and fluid. Combat is straight forward hack-and-slash fare with timing of both attack and defense the key to surviving the tougher opponents. What really lacks here is the camera control. The camera doesn't auto-center itself behind you and positioning it while in combat can be problematic at times, especially when you're focused on a target where you can't move the camera at all leaving your opponent off screen sometimes.

Music in the game suits the levels well featuring a heavy dose of bells throughout most of the pieces. Slow somber pieces and fast harsh pieces follow Alice's mindset as she traverses London and Wonderland. Sound effects are top notch for the most part as are the character voice overs.

Weapons are varied plentiful from the familiar Vorpal Blade to the Clockwork Rabbit Bomb with the Hobby Horse and Pepper Grinder in between. The Umbrella and the ability to dodge (you can dodge while you jump!) round out your defenses. Alice also has a special shrink power which let's her access special hideaways and see otherwise invisible objects.

The games story flows nicely though there are places you can see where elements are missing (due to some areas being cut out of the game). It will take a keen eye to grasp all of the connection in this game that ties the story together as metaphor and imagery play a prevalent part of the story telling. Thankfully the major plot points are left vague and you aren't left with a "what the" at the end.

Level design is decidedly linear with very little opportunity to deviate from the main path. Levels are long and somewhat repetitive but for the most part I found myself enjoying traveling through them collecting memories and bottles and peppering snouts. Save for the London areas no two levels are the same, each having its own theme and style.

Outside the game in the menu there are character bios, artwork, and other things to unlock/look at to enhance the experience. These are worthwhile extras which add to the overall enjoyment I had with this game.

The game offers various difficulty levels and you can switch difficulty at any time if things get to hard for you. Once you complete the game you can start a new game with all the weapons you collected and access to the various dresses you collected and pick the look and/or dress ability you want if you so choose. You can even replay a specific section of any of the levels as much as you want until you collect every last item out there.

All in all Alice: Madness Returns is just short of a masterpiece. It's flaws are easy enough to deal with because they are overshadowed by rich environments, a haunting soundtrack, smooth gameplay and a story you won't soon forget.
  56. Jun 18, 2011
    A worthy sequel to an already established amazing game.
    Manages to be "modern" without falling into design choices which are associated with this era's gaming.
  57. Jul 2, 2011
    Great game, consisting of a mixture of prince of Persia warrior within and devil may cry. Games of this kind are rare, but on the PC and completely exclusive. Fans of slasher genre and "unusual" action games need to educate.
  58. Sep 14, 2011
    The art and music direction in this game are stunning. The platforming is quite fun and reminiscent of the great platformers of old. I enjoyed my play-through of Alice and will likely play it again at some point in the future, using the included Game+ mode. This game played flawlessly with no bugs or performance issues. A few of the puzzles are a bit tedious, and some of the jumping canThe art and music direction in this game are stunning. The platforming is quite fun and reminiscent of the great platformers of old. I enjoyed my play-through of Alice and will likely play it again at some point in the future, using the included Game+ mode. This game played flawlessly with no bugs or performance issues. A few of the puzzles are a bit tedious, and some of the jumping can get pretty brutal, but the presentation and style of the game are so tight it's easy to look past these issues. If you like puzzle platformers like the original Alice, this is a great game. Expand
  59. Jun 15, 2011
    Nowadays, gaming companies have been influenced largely by money and greed. There aren't many studios left, that actually put love to their work. But in Alice: Madness Returns, it proves this argument wrong. The effort put into the making of Alice used into a large degree from a small pebble to the stunningly bizarre and hauntingly beautiful world, to the visage of Alice herself, andNowadays, gaming companies have been influenced largely by money and greed. There aren't many studios left, that actually put love to their work. But in Alice: Madness Returns, it proves this argument wrong. The effort put into the making of Alice used into a large degree from a small pebble to the stunningly bizarre and hauntingly beautiful world, to the visage of Alice herself, and everything that surrounds her. Expand
  60. Jun 16, 2011
    This game is a piece of art. If you're looking for adrenalin rush, or for a game to be a fine tuned hypnotic machine to make you think you're l33t. This is not that game. It is a fine piece of art for those who want to explore a fantastic world artfully placed between genius and insanity.

Game reviewers these days are such morons. On one hand, they whine like dying cows when outsiders say game isn't art. On the other hand, when a truly artistic game comes out, they complain about gameplay being too repetitive and "irritating" then use that to slap on a low score.
  61. Jun 16, 2011
    One of the best sequels I have ever played. Managing to stay true to the original atmosphere if only a bit more colored, which you will see was not a bad thing, this game delivers like nothing else. Think Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2 only without any actual content removed just changed. Along with the genius atmosphere which you have to experience for yourself to understand theOne of the best sequels I have ever played. Managing to stay true to the original atmosphere if only a bit more colored, which you will see was not a bad thing, this game delivers like nothing else. Think Mass Effect 2 and The Witcher 2 only without any actual content removed just changed. Along with the genius atmosphere which you have to experience for yourself to understand the graphical engine shows almost no signs of ever being Unreal 3 except for the shiny blood smears and occasional texture clipping (like Alice's hair right at the begining). The characters are spectacular even compared to the standard the first game set (or any other game in the batsh*t insane artstyle). The gameplay is loads of fun with actually interesting secrets to find and well collectibles are collectibles theres only so many seashells/teapots one can break before going mad. The was one thing that kind of annoyed me, the mouse seemed to have a much greater sensibility for left-right than up-down. I have to say the critics reviews as of 16/6/2011 surprise me greatly with their rather low scores as this is certainly one of the top games to come this year. Not that I mind this game remaining a bit more obscure just like the first one, I'll treasure it like my one personal wonderland :)
    PS: It comes with a free copy of the first American McGee's Alice. While some might say that is because the game was rushed I hope more games would offer previous titles for free...
  62. Jun 15, 2011
    Amazing visuals. I believe the visuals alone could tell the story, it's extremely atmospheric, and it handles it self amazingly on all fronts. I absolutely adore A:MR. I hope that they make a sequel.
  63. Jun 16, 2011
    Perhaps it is because I grew up during the era when platform games were king, but I adored each and every moment of Alice: Madness Returns. The game mechanics while simple are a throw back to the days of Mario 64, with fluid platforming and a host of secret areas and unlockables to find. The environments are stunning, the settings haunting yet serenely beautiful all wrapped up with a trulyPerhaps it is because I grew up during the era when platform games were king, but I adored each and every moment of Alice: Madness Returns. The game mechanics while simple are a throw back to the days of Mario 64, with fluid platforming and a host of secret areas and unlockables to find. The environments are stunning, the settings haunting yet serenely beautiful all wrapped up with a truly emotional plot and music score. A very worthy successor to the original American McGee's Alice. Expand
  64. Jul 30, 2011
    As a big fan of the first Alice, I had my doubts. But Madness Returns outshines the first one in every way. There is a HUGE Psychonauts influence here (and at one point the developers pay homage in a laugh-out-loud manner). The exploration is amazing, the story is more mature and compelling, the combat is more intense than MANY of the top line FPS games out there.
  65. Jan 28, 2012
    The graphical style is by far the best thing about this game - it may not be hyper-modern, but it's so cute and imaginative, the environments change completely with each chapter and Alice's outfits and movements are perfect. The combat is hectic, sometimes a bit confusing and quite difficult, but not frustrating. On the PC, controls and camera have some issues. Overall, it's a very goodThe graphical style is by far the best thing about this game - it may not be hyper-modern, but it's so cute and imaginative, the environments change completely with each chapter and Alice's outfits and movements are perfect. The combat is hectic, sometimes a bit confusing and quite difficult, but not frustrating. On the PC, controls and camera have some issues. Overall, it's a very good take on the contemporary "platformer game", and it fortunately retains everything that was good about American McGee's Alice. Expand
  66. Jan 31, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game that needs to be experienced. It's a wonderful journey through a weird and haunting place. This is a game that feels fresh in today's gaming world. So please, pick it up and give it a try.
  67. Oct 13, 2014
    An imaginative platformer / adventure type game that I am glad to have tried and experienced. The artwork, creative and varied level design and story were easily the strong points of this game. I also thought Alice as a character was very well done and the 'disturbed' take on, and story of, her journey through madness was interesting and at times surprising.

On the down side however the

On the down side however the game was too long and towards the end had some very annoying sections that were an unnecessary and frustrating chore to complete versus advancing the story (e.g. the fiddly 'head pinball' style sections and annoying slides).
  68. Jun 30, 2014
    This game has a great story and atmosphere, but too much platforming in order to get hidden items which advance the story. Didn't like the controls at all and found it too difficult so just threw in the towel & played in god mode and hacked the jumping to allow me to jump higher.
  69. Dec 28, 2011
    I have to say this is the game with some of the best visuals I have ever seen, certainly from a creative perspective - the imagination put into it is really rarely seen. The mouse controls on PC I have no problems with after I slow the responsiveness down considerably. There is, however, a big problem with the engine - you have to turn off most of the PhysX effects or even turn them offI have to say this is the game with some of the best visuals I have ever seen, certainly from a creative perspective - the imagination put into it is really rarely seen. The mouse controls on PC I have no problems with after I slow the responsiveness down considerably. There is, however, a big problem with the engine - you have to turn off most of the PhysX effects or even turn them off completely to get any kind of decent frame rate. This can put off a lot of people, but can be fixed relatively easily by reading various online tutorials on editing the game's .ini files. The gameplay is mostly satisfying, sometimes too slow, but for me the visual make up for it. All in all, I would recommend this game to any platform lover with a decent graphics card and CPU. Expand
  70. May 12, 2012
    Alice is a fantastic journey of creativity and innovation with a twist of psychosis. It's a solid puzzle platformer offering occasional action alongside shattered story pieces which eventually end up being glued back together.

It's one gleaming fault is the puzzles get wearisome due to their excessive repetition, chapter after chapter. This stems from the fact that the game doesn't offer equal amounts of platforming, action, and story elements. It's more like 75% platforming and 25% divided by the other two. Now the platforming aspect is done very well--there's just too much of it.

Overall, I highly enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't want to play it all the way through a second time.
  71. Jan 1, 2012
    Just as imaginative and fun as the original game. Beautiful scenery and creative gameplay make this a unique game and very fun to play. I hope that EA makes a third game if possible.
  72. Jun 23, 2011
    I had heard this game was very unique from a friend and he was right. I was very interested into going to the next levels just because of how the levels were designed. The voice acting to the unique style of graphics set this game apart from any other platformer. All the little things in this game as well were fun to do. Every time I heard a piggy I would go on edge to try to find it damnI had heard this game was very unique from a friend and he was right. I was very interested into going to the next levels just because of how the levels were designed. The voice acting to the unique style of graphics set this game apart from any other platformer. All the little things in this game as well were fun to do. Every time I heard a piggy I would go on edge to try to find it damn piggies. The best part about Alice though is the storyline. It is a very in depth and engaging story that will make anyone think. I would recommend this to anyone even if they don't like platformers as this game was very good and worth the money. Let's get the bad out of the way though and there really isn't much of it to go around in this game. Firstly I had problems with the camera angles about 5 - 6 times. I would jump in the wrong direction sometimes and it was kinda of frustrating to die to. Secondly is the replay value. This game was very good indeed but I can't see myself playing this game over again. Expand
  73. Jun 2, 2012
    Critics got this one wrong, this game has great graphics, originality, and is a lot of fun - user score of 8.6 is about right.. Gameplay reminds me of Darksiders-has shooter, slasher and explosive weapons.......twisted storyline......pick it up on Steam next time it is on sale - well worth it.
  74. Jun 22, 2011
    A game with excellent platforming and level designs, sufficient length (10-15 hours), gorgeous art style and presentation with different fantasy worlds stitched together, engaging combat, snappy writing and great voice acting, a story that that you'll have to piece together, emphasizing Alice's dementia. Only brought down by a few annoyances like the lock-on camera or the mediocreA game with excellent platforming and level designs, sufficient length (10-15 hours), gorgeous art style and presentation with different fantasy worlds stitched together, engaging combat, snappy writing and great voice acting, a story that that you'll have to piece together, emphasizing Alice's dementia. Only brought down by a few annoyances like the lock-on camera or the mediocre sidescrolling minigames. Alice Madness Returns is a wonderful journey and a truly unique game. Expand
  75. Dec 29, 2011
    This little game is one of the more inventive ones I've got the chance to see for the past years. More fun than the first Prince game after the trilogy and with quite a bit of style poured into Unreal 3. Alice's hair reminds me of Nvidia's Nalu. Giving it a 10 for great justice, as people are mostly overlooking this gem of a game.
  76. Jul 16, 2011
    um jogo lindo de se jogar, bem diferente de tudo que estamos acostumados, ótimo para se ter como um segundo jogo para fugir da mesmice de sempre. Muito bom de se jogar,.
    Parabéns pela coragem dos criadores em acreditar em um jogo tão diferente de todo
  77. Apr 4, 2012
    Well, first off, I should say that one of the first things I had to do after trying this game for the first time was to find out why my framerate was locked at 30. Turns out, the graphical engine is limited to 30 fps since thatâ
  78. Nov 9, 2011
    visuals! atmosphere! story! definitely enjoyable in those areas. can get repetitive (a lot of jumping) but its still worth it. I didn't have any problems with controls they are adjustable in the options.
  79. Dec 10, 2011
    A very creepy history on this game, and totally different from most common games in an uncommon way. many physx cool effects graphics are okay textures not so much . Game play is a bit hard with the excessive mouse movement. keyboard controls are okay. the game itself is interesting it will for sure absorb you on it, because it will take you to research some things, in order to achieveA very creepy history on this game, and totally different from most common games in an uncommon way. many physx cool effects graphics are okay textures not so much . Game play is a bit hard with the excessive mouse movement. keyboard controls are okay. the game itself is interesting it will for sure absorb you on it, because it will take you to research some things, in order to achieve them you will have to fight monsters, solve some puzzles in "shrink" mode to go other places, go through hard ways where you will have to use your skills to avoid dying.
    I found this game Good enough to recommend it to play or buy. I give this game a 9 because of the weird mouse movement and the lack of quests information that let you sometimes without knowing what to do.
  80. Dec 12, 2011
    I loved Alice and was hoping for the same experience with Alice Madness Returns... and I almost got it. Both its predecessor and this game have always been essentially a "twisted" arcade game. You might want to look for the quarter slot on the side of your gaming device... BUT that does not mean that its not a fun game. It is pure entertainment with a bit of skill. Hardcore gamers willI loved Alice and was hoping for the same experience with Alice Madness Returns... and I almost got it. Both its predecessor and this game have always been essentially a "twisted" arcade game. You might want to look for the quarter slot on the side of your gaming device... BUT that does not mean that its not a fun game. It is pure entertainment with a bit of skill. Hardcore gamers will likely feel a let down, but the casual gamer will like this game. I thought the color and feel of the game was on the mark, although I felt the mechanics of it was a bit off (somewhat difficult to control from a PC). The game feels a bit rushed... not so much do to a lack of development, but rather on a misguided perception that gamers don't to spend too much time for detailed story development and they want to jump straight to the action. This may be true in a traditional FPS, but this game is meant to play more like a interactive story. The bottom line for me is that although the game does not quite make it to the level of story and skill as its predecessor... I do not regret (too much) that I pre-ordered it and paid full price. Do yourself a favor... hunt down an old copy of Alice and then take a swing at this game. Together I think you will find it a nice set. Expand
  81. Dec 28, 2011
    The game is pretty good, The story is dark and keeps you on edge. The 2D cutscenes are fantastic. And the music is really good. Very good voice acting. I highly recommend this game. 10/10
  82. Dec 20, 2011
    I LOVE this game! I don't agree with most negative reviews. This is old school with a fresh look. PhysX is a nice touch. I really HOPE there will be a 3rd and don't have to wait another 10 years. :) I played and loved the first game also. Very imaginative and smooth gameply. Nice job to the programmers!! 10/10!
  83. Dec 26, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later weAlice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later we are seeing familiar characters the way we left them so long ago. Its a very fun game if you are looking to be entertained by a twisted take on a story that has been around for so long. I enjoyed it even if it didn't give me something new to mash my buttons. I think Occam's Razor really comes to mind in this game. It makes up for mechanics with a story, art, and characters. Expand
  84. Dec 26, 2011
    I don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal toI don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal to me. I have to say, I did not expect this. I expected non-stop blood and gore, but the story is a treat. The graphics are pretty good, and it's compatible with an Xbox gamepad. All I have to say is that it is a bit repetitive, but that's normal for this kind of game. Overall this is an amazing game, and I don't know what all of the hate is about. 9/10 Expand
  85. Dec 31, 2011
    Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though,Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though, so I don't know if it unlocks extra bits). It has a nice blend of platforming and action I think, so it doesn't get too repetitive for too long. Only reason I haven't rated it higher are minor issues. Sometimes, the camera just doesn't respond well and leaves you blindsided for a short bit. Also, there's a 'targeting' system that can require a lot of babysitting and quite often, leaves you struggling to attack the foe you want to be attacking. The game kind of makes up for this by not making a big deal out of dying. You don't lose teeth (the game's currency), you're not usually set back far at all, no real life counter or "Game Over" bs. I bought this on sale. I wouldn't have paid the full $30 for it knowing what I know, but if you're looking for a fun hack'n'slash, action game, sprinkled with some puzzles, with a great, dark, artsy atmosphere that only Alice in Wonderland can really offer, then pick it up. Expand
  86. Jan 13, 2012
    Shikaarnaya igruha) Mne ochen ponravilas eta igra... Bezumie na visokom urovne, a v nekotorih mestah tak voobshe zashkalivaet) IGRAT' VSEM!!! Privet vsem russkim kritikam))
  87. Jan 14, 2013
    Alice: MR is a simple 3D platformer with great environmental design and story pace. Puzzle and combat difficulty wise it's certainly between medium to low. But then I spent 15 hours on it (getting all the hidden stuff on my way) which means it has A LOT of content. The hidden elements reveals why Alice would have constructed such an environment that you're in, which is a very innovativeAlice: MR is a simple 3D platformer with great environmental design and story pace. Puzzle and combat difficulty wise it's certainly between medium to low. But then I spent 15 hours on it (getting all the hidden stuff on my way) which means it has A LOT of content. The hidden elements reveals why Alice would have constructed such an environment that you're in, which is a very innovative approach.

It's that type of game which would burn some scenes into your mind and let you savor a bit of the psychology/ psychiatry world.
  88. Mar 11, 2012
    This game was nice. Lots of issues (that's what you get when you let EA rush a game with great potential), most noticeably the physx engine, which for ATI cards, can only run at low.
    The story and graphics were definitely the highlights, however it's a shame they decided to go for the ambiguous ending considering they're unlikely to ever be given funding by EA again.
  89. Apr 2, 2012
    An amazingly artistic game. Graphics, characters, story and art style are wonderful. I didn't regret for waiting ten years for a Alice sequel after had played this game. It is really shame that critics gave this game only 70 - 80 points. Do not afraid of bugs, most of them handled via patches.
  90. Jul 8, 2012
    This was quite an enjoyable game. The scenery in the levels is quite well done, the enemies are unique and the dark story line kept me playing. The only issues I had were lag problems when too much was going on at once, even on a powerful computer. Also, the occasional poor camera angle, but for a platformer that issue was few and far between. Very enjoyable.
  91. May 17, 2012
    I was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a livingI was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a living nightmare. I liked it, and when i saw the pictures from AMR i was sure it would be a great game. Pre-ordered the game, and then i read a few critics. Some of them where really harsh, was it really a good idea to preorder it? But i thought, give the game a chance. So when the game was finally here, i was like: What the f*** is wrong with you? Did you really played the same game as i did? The game is not perfect, i must admit. The camera is terrible and has a life of its own. I had situation where i had to fight more with the camera than with my enemies. But apart from that the controls where ok. Sadly Alice doesn't grab on ledges like she did in part one. Could have saved me from a few unnecessary falls. Something that has been criticized too was that you cold see loading textures. It did not bother me, don't know why they made a fuss out of it. What personally bothered me was that interesting locations, like Queensland, where simply too short. For me, that was the best part of the game. The location was interesting, eerie and full of details. Shame they where so short.
    Another thing i have to critc are the Mini-games. Sure, they were fun but not really challenging. But enough of the negative, the positive aspects clearly outweigh those little blemishes. AMR has an atmosphere that i really miss at todays games. Take the Vale of tears for example, or the mentioned Queensland. So many details, and boy, what an atmosphere. This is essentially due to excellent dubbing, and of course not to forget the music. The music is not intrusive or overloaded, she just fits perfectly. The dubbing, the game is multilingual, and is definitely worth mentioning. I played first with the German dubbing, and i have to say, the dubbers make a good job. The voices fits to their characters. I played the game with the english dubbing too, but i like the one in my mother language more. This is of course a matter of taste, both are great and worth to listen to. So let me sum up: Positive: Atmospheric and interesting locations. Good dubbers and music. A lot to discover. Very good character and enemy design. Negative: Stubborn camera, especially in combat. Mini-games are no challenge. Interesting locations are too short. The game could be bit longer. Personally the game was worth its money. It's not perfect, but definitely worth to be played. I really hope they make a third part of this game. Would be a shame if they didn't.
  92. Aug 10, 2012
    A severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed moreA severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed more replayability and was more original the game could easily deserve a 10, yet it already deserves a 10 in every other category, art direction, sound, voice acting, graphics and polish. The game is also long, and full of content, bursting with quality. Expand
  93. Jun 11, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. In times of short and easy action games we get incredible hardcore adventure showed in unique graphic style. It was hard to beat previous Alice but they did it. I cannot wait for next episode of psychodelic crazy trip with Alice.
  94. Jul 20, 2012
    I made a metacritic account just to tell everyone how amazing I think this game is. The graphics are stunning, the story, voice acting, and music are fantastic, and I personally have not had a single issue with the PC controls. I have to force myself to stop playing and go to bed! If you like puzzle games and actually having to explore the world, then you'll like this!
  95. Aug 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011, with a great plot and charismatic characters. The gameplay is a little bit old, but still funny and the graphics are simply stunning! A trip in this dark and twisted Wonderland is highly recondemned: I assure you won\'t forget it easily!
  96. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is awesome. I play it with a gforce 660M gpu, top resolution, it looks great and it runs smoothly. It is a console port, so keyboard and mouse won´t make the best gameplay experience, it´s better to play it with an xbox 360 controller. The controls are responsive, although i am having some camera issues specially when going to close rooms (i can´t rotate theThis game is awesome. I play it with a gforce 660M gpu, top resolution, it looks great and it runs smoothly. It is a console port, so keyboard and mouse won´t make the best gameplay experience, it´s better to play it with an xbox 360 controller. The controls are responsive, although i am having some camera issues specially when going to close rooms (i can´t rotate the camera in some places). All in all, don´t think twice to buy it if you have the machine and the controller to enjoy it at its best. Very fun, creepy, totally crazy ambient; freaky goth alice and some good fights. More than enough. Enjoy it! Expand
  97. Nov 22, 2012
    Not as good as the original American McGee's Alice, the sequel still manages to create a similarly fascinating world with very diverse level designs. The horror is more subtle in this one as all aspects tend to a brighter version than in the original game, somewhat lightening the otherwise dark mood of the story. This is a nice action game full of creative elements. Especially the levelsNot as good as the original American McGee's Alice, the sequel still manages to create a similarly fascinating world with very diverse level designs. The horror is more subtle in this one as all aspects tend to a brighter version than in the original game, somewhat lightening the otherwise dark mood of the story. This is a nice action game full of creative elements. Especially the levels are well designed and each has its distinct atmosphere. The game experience is intense and there are many threats as the story increases in its dramatic narration. Still, the original was slightly more inventive and dared to be darker, where the new Alice focuses more on surrealism. All in all a worthy sequel and a good game worth its money, being in the Alice franchise it delivers a great colourful contrast to the almost bland titles around it. Expand
  98. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    Haven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me duringHaven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me during the entire game). 8 out of 10. Expand
  99. Jul 23, 2013
    Liked the game for its very beautiful graphics, atmosphere.
    Disadvantages are IMO arcade style instead of more classic shooter which was the first game of series, and also improper mouse support for PC
  100. Aug 10, 2013
    The game is beautiful, and the story and underlying concept of the game are entrancing. There are areas, however, that seem padded out in the worst possible way. And it is a little repetitive. Buy it on sale and love it.

1. Oct 17, 2011
    All in all, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a good sequel. Not superlative, but not a cheap knockoff. If topsy-turvy architecture, steampunk menaces, and Victorian psychotherapy tickle your geek itch, this is a title well worth playing.
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a living contradiction, an unholy union of incredible visual flair and ho-hum gameplay.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 8, 2011
    Combat is flawed, but does little to detract from the game's breathtaking depiction of lunacy. [Sept 2011, p.61]