Alice: Madness Returns PC

8.5

1. Dec 15, 2015
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。
    この高評価の理由はひとえにグラフィックの素晴らしさ故。
    でもゲームとしては微妙な出来。 アクションと戦闘がそれぞれ乖離しており、しかもどちらも練り込み方が不充分でかなり単調なものになってしまっている。 地形を活かして自分の好きなスタイルで戦い方を形作ることができた前作とは比べ物にならない。 しかもPCでのプレー時にキー操作を受け付けなくなる重大なバグがあり、そのバグ以外でもしばしばキー入力がキャンセルされる現象が発生する。 そのため著しくゲーム世界への没入が妨げられる。 とりわけフォーカスが効かなくなるバグなど重大で基本的なものがリリース後数年経った今でもまったくバグフィックスされていないことに驚きを禁じ得ない。
    グラフィックは素晴らしい。見た目だけは何からなにまで文句なく素晴らしい。

悲惨な出来事が契機になって発生した無意識内容との格闘と魂の救済という主題はどこへ行ってしまったのか。

グラフィック以外は何をとっても中途半端で雑。
    前作をこのグラフィックで出して欲しい。
  2. Nov 9, 2015
    I'm a total sucker for "twisted fairy tale" settings so this one earns easy points from me. It's weird and twisted, sometimes bloody and violent, and makes for a very fun journey, if not the most polished one.

Gameplay is a mix of platforming and combat, both of which are so-so. Never too frustrating but never feeling especially engaging. The real strength is the setting and backdrop, exploring deeper and deeper to find out what creepy surprises await you as you press on. It's worth diving into, and I had enough fun with it to keep going right to the end, and it is surprisingly long too, clocking in at 10-12 hours if you take your time to look around.
  3. Aug 24, 2015
    Amazing game
    the art and visuals are beautiful
    voice acting superb combat is fluid, enjoyable but can be challenging in a good way and finishing enemies is immensely satisfying the story follows up after the end of the original game and offers more to the story of the Liddell house fire then we expected and overall it is a great experience there are lots of outfits and weapon skins
    Amazing game
    the art and visuals are beautiful
    voice acting superb
    there are lots of outfits and weapon skins that you can pick from so every playthrough is to your liking (you can change the weapon skins and outfits anytime in the main menu)
    This is one of the games that you need a physical copy of so one day after many years when you see it on your shelf you can pop it in and enjoy the nostalgia of this masterpiece
  4. Aug 18, 2015
    this game shows nice graphic effect by unreal engine. physx effect is nice too. the action is very nice enough to buy only for this point. but the part of latter is a little boring.
  5. Mar 1, 2015
    Yankee mcgee has fallen so low that now he does not even hire programmers able to read the mouse without inducing unwanted acceleration. Control is worse than on amateur scratch games.
  6. Feb 8, 2015
    If you like (1) "learn by dying a lot" type of game, (2) lack of save-points, (3) ill-placed re-spawns, and (4) 2001 graphics (think "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"), then this game will probably not disappoint you. I, on the other hand, became very aggravated after chapter I, and I only didn't give up completely because I was able to turn god mode on. I only rated it a 5/10 (as opposed toIf you like (1) "learn by dying a lot" type of game, (2) lack of save-points, (3) ill-placed re-spawns, and (4) 2001 graphics (think "Return to Castle Wolfenstein"), then this game will probably not disappoint you. I, on the other hand, became very aggravated after chapter I, and I only didn't give up completely because I was able to turn god mode on. I only rated it a 5/10 (as opposed to 0) because the developers tried hard to come up with an unique game; it's a shame that they fell short. Expand
  7. Feb 2, 2015
    OK... The game has a good atmosphere, idea... but... i really like this game until complete 4%... but after this. I want to punch the creators in the nose. The controls on PC are just horrible and system of checkpoints piss you off. They give you too little marge to error. You are wasting time in useless tries to pass a few steps just for fail in the next step and return to beginning ofOK... The game has a good atmosphere, idea... but... i really like this game until complete 4%... but after this. I want to punch the creators in the nose. The controls on PC are just horrible and system of checkpoints piss you off. They give you too little marge to error. You are wasting time in useless tries to pass a few steps just for fail in the next step and return to beginning of the level and to repeat it again. Frack! I want to enjoy the game, it's supposed the game is for diversion and a pleasure pass-time, not for uncomfortable one. Expand
  8. Jan 7, 2015
    Creepy supernatural Victoriana.

Yes I agree with that summation. Graphically it's excellent because delves into visuals that are imaginative. Gameplay or combat is fun. Spooky and brilliant. However the fun stops there. It is a git of a game to play. I have put in 17 hours on the clock, but actual game save time is 9 hours 10 minutes. In other words 7 hours and fifty minutes (44%
    Creepy supernatural Victoriana.

However the fun stops there. It is a git of a game to play. I have put in 17 hours on the clock, but actual game save time is 9 hours 10 minutes. In other words 7 hours and fifty minutes (44% play time) was spent repeating stuff. Trying and trying until I screamed and was shaking in distress to get past hard parts.

It often goes into a 2-D side-scroller. Things like where you have to make jumps over obstacles and avoid fire from weapons. (One hit kill.) I just quit now and have given up the game 'for ever' in a 2-D part. The first parts of this bit were ok-ish. Then the next bit took about 30 goes to get past. Then the next bit I counted 58 goes to get past. Then the next little bit I counted 24 tries and shut down the game without getting past.

Why am I making over a hundred attempts to get past short passages of any game? It's because it looks great even though the graphics are not that complex. They are nicely designed. If I did not love that aspect of Alice:MR I would have stopped playing a long time ago. Now though it has reached the stage where the downside is greater than the up-side. I give up. Towel thrown in. Not half way through the game.

All the way it was try-die, until I nearly broke down. It has taken me weeks to get this far, because I keep having to shut down from stress. I would much prefer the disk space for another game than suffer any more of this.
  9. Dec 10, 2014
    This game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a realThis game is gorgeous! Unfortunately, that is its highest point. Yes, it is really atmospheric and you feel immerse in this **** reality, which is made even better with the awesome soundtrack. But, on the other hand, the combat and platforming are really repetitive, and the game is only nice in short bursts. And it really drags on with its 15 hour campaign, and the last level is a real bore to me. But the whole art style, the sound and even the story are amazing to me. Yes, you should try it. Just don't play more than 2 hours per day, and you'll love it. Expand
  10. Nov 29, 2014
    Alice: Madness Returns is one of the best games I have ever played. Good games nowadays are hard to find. Here's my breakdown:

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby 2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging 3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game 4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be

1. Graphics: 8/10 - not too shabby
    2. Story: 9/10 - very interesting and engaging
    3. Music: 9/10 - simply excellent, establishes atmosphere of game
    4. Gameplay: 8/10 - great level design, puzzles are intuitive and pleasantly challenging, controls can be unresponsive at times, and can be better

Overall, a fantastic game.
  11. Nov 19, 2014
    Alice:Madness Returns is a terrific if flawed sequel to the original. As a narrative, it picks up the story where it left off in the first game and intelligently brings it to a conclusion. When it's over, you fully understand why Alice was driven to her madness in the first place, a reason much more sinister than simply that her family died in a fire years ago. The story is toldAlice:Madness Returns is a terrific if flawed sequel to the original. As a narrative, it picks up the story where it left off in the first game and intelligently brings it to a conclusion. When it's over, you fully understand why Alice was driven to her madness in the first place, a reason much more sinister than simply that her family died in a fire years ago. The story is told wonderfully through excellent voice acting in recovered memories and in sequences cleverly done in cartoon cutouts. Alice also communicates with Cheshire Cat throughout the game in the game's 3D world.

Visually, Alice is beautiful and a treat for the eyes. The game uses a wide color palette based on the theme of the area she is in, and the level design and art direction are excellent and sometimes spectacular. London itself is appropriately dark and gritty, all done in greyscale, making the Wonderland segments pop more colorfully than they probably really are. Character models are also appropriately cartoony and slightly twisted. The musical score effectively evokes the mood of the game, though it lacks the disturbing discord that the original's soundtrack evoked.

The gameplay itself was mostly very enjoyable. The platforming was clever and challenging, and the combat (which there is a lot of) was very smooth (the "focus" or auto-targetting system works wonderfully if used correctly). The game also breaks things up nicely with various themed puzzles and even some sidescrolling mini games that were very fun. While a bit long for a platformer, Alice was nonetheless engaging all the way to the end.

There were some negatives that marred the overall experience, some significant. The autosave feature is probably the biggest problem with the game. Since you can't manually save (like in the original Alice), you can only restart from the last checkpoint. The problem is, it is very easy to unwittingly transition out of an area when you still had another path you wanted to explore that might have lead to collectibles or an optional arena fight (to gain HP), and you can't go back since the game only stores one auto save (it does allow you to revisit major checkpoints after you complete a chapter, but you would have to go back and replay several areas to get back to where you want to be). Some of the auto saves are well-placed, but not all, forcing you to redo a jumping sequence for example before you can get back to the mini boss who just beat you. The auto save feature really rears its ugly head in the final boss fight, as it saves at two points during the fight. This sounds convenient on the surface, not having to start the whole long fight over from the beginning if you die. The problem is, you could in theory be down to your last bit of health when it auto saves for the next part of the fight, so now if you die you will always restart from that point at near-death, you can't go back to the begnning. They needed to include two or three auto save slots in the game to avoid this game-breaking scenario.

Another issue with the game is the repetitive combat. Too many times in the game must you fight the menacing ruin, for example, which appears in various combinations with other enemies. There are many times in the game where you will run into one and say, "didn't I just beat this guy?" A similar experience happens near the end of chapter 2, where you defeat a mini boss called the drowned sailor, only to meet another one on the other side of a gate, then have to go inside three separate buildings to beat three more of them. This kind of gratuitous combat served to needlessly drag out the game and produce too many moments of "Oh, not again."

The bottle collecting in the game is rendered almost pointless because in order to unlock what I believe is additional concept art, you have to collect every bottle in each chapter. Unfortunately, I was always a couple of bottles short of the dozen or so I needed to find. It would have been nice if they unlocked "some" of the content based on what you found, instead of making it all or nothing.

Lastly, I found the jumping mechanics to be a little off, making some of the jumping sequences needlessly frustrating. Mainly, Alice would many times drop like a rock on the third jump in a three-jump sequence no matter how dextrously I hit the jump key, and this also happened a lot when hitting the jump key as she was hitting the apex of an air plume or off a jumping mushroom. They needed to fine-tune this, the jumping mechanics should have been much smoother and more forgiving.

Overall, though, Alice is a fine sequel and is a must-play if you wre a fan of the original. Even if you aren't, it is a solid platformer and a very unique and original experience.
  12. Oct 13, 2014
    An imaginative platformer / adventure type game that I am glad to have tried and experienced. The artwork, creative and varied level design and story were easily the strong points of this game. I also thought Alice as a character was very well done and the 'disturbed' take on, and story of, her journey through madness was interesting and at times surprising.

On the down side however the

On the down side however the game was too long and towards the end had some very annoying sections that were an unnecessary and frustrating chore to complete versus advancing the story (e.g. the fiddly 'head pinball' style sections and annoying slides).
  13. Jul 19, 2014
    Way too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate thisWay too long. I like this game, environment, plot, this dark and creepy atmosphere, but the game is just too long. You just jump from platform to platform and use 2 to 3 weapons. 10 hours of the same gameplay and I'm only at thirty percent. I didn't uninstall the game for long, thinking maybe I will come back and finish it, but no, there are other more action games. But I can rate this game low, it is great, at least for first ten hours. Expand
  14. Jul 17, 2014
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game best played in short bursts due to it's repetitiveness, however it is also very fun. The creative art style is both unique and amusing.
  15. Jun 30, 2014
    This game has a great story and atmosphere, but too much platforming in order to get hidden items which advance the story. Didn't like the controls at all and found it too difficult so just threw in the towel & played in god mode and hacked the jumping to allow me to jump higher.
  16. Jun 10, 2014
    Why 0? Two words: mouse acceleration. I hate the thing and this game has to the worst. Quick flick across my pad barely makes my cursor move while slowly moving my mouse the same distance makes Alice do several 360ies.

Now before I will continue - I spent significant time trying to find solution for this. I browsed forums, changed values in several config files to no avail. In the end running with Alice seems more like sailing a tanker even for the most basic of things like going around the corner. In some situations the movement caused borderline nausea.

Now several reviewers bash controls but say you can get used to it. You know what? I don't want to get used to it. I played hundreds of games over the years and never felt a need for mouse acceleration. Other people say Alice is best played with controller where the acceleration seems more natural. What the hell? If I wanted to play with controller I would play console version for Christ sakes!

So that is it. I believe all the people that the game and content is great. Unfortunately I simply cannot enjoy it because of decision by developers to slam their idea of how to play PC games down my throat. Only for me it literally makes me vomit. So be cautious before making the purchase. You have been warned.
  17. Jun 6, 2014
    Damn those critics... When this game was released 3 years ago I just overlooked it. Reviews were mediocre and most of them were based on tedious gameplay mechanics and technical flaws. 2 weeks ago I picked it up and woah..... what an amazing game.. Visually, it's stunning. Such a imagination, wonderful design of levels and characters.. I stopped and looked at those locations dozens ofDamn those critics... When this game was released 3 years ago I just overlooked it. Reviews were mediocre and most of them were based on tedious gameplay mechanics and technical flaws. 2 weeks ago I picked it up and woah..... what an amazing game.. Visually, it's stunning. Such a imagination, wonderful design of levels and characters.. I stopped and looked at those locations dozens of times. We don't see such an art in games to often. And gameplay is surprising also fun, solid.. nothing new but still more than servicable. Story is also great, dark, misterious and even shocking at times.
    What can I say, if u havent played it, go now... buy it, it's cheap now and u wont regret.
  18. May 22, 2014
    Take away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly pacedTake away the bloom, Physx(tm), the motion blur, the terrible cardboard character story sequences, the random collectables, the framerate locked by default at 30 frames per second and you'll still have an artistically gorgeous, but unbelievably bland game. Its almost hilarious how inconsistent the game is, you have entire chapters that seem to flow well, while others are very poorly paced and feature gratuitous amounts of either lopsided combat or platforming sections. Alice: Madness Returns only features something like four major weapons (poor girl) and once they're introduced and upgraded a few times, old strategies for enemies start becoming obsolete as weapons like the teapot cannon can annihilate even newer "more challenging" enemies (rather quickly I should add). The combat goes from just "fine" to terrible at a moments notice, usually involving a bad camera angle or from not being able to see enemies telegraphing an attack (which the game conveniently PAUSES in order for the player to react to). This would be forgive-able if their was much of any variation in the combat or at least actual combo's, but alas, their isn't much of either. Alice herself has a finicky jumping mechanic that allows her to triple jump, but unfortunately their are sections that expect you to make very large gaps utilizing it and other points where the game decides that you just weren't supposed to make it that far- Meaning of course that you missed (yet again) another invisible platform somewhere between where you started jumping and wherever you need to jump to. Which I could also forgive if this mechanic wasn't endlessly repeated to the point where you really aren't sure if you're even accomplishing anything until you run into a scripted sequence or puzzle. Their is hardly any "flow" to the level design, often you'll get stuck (though not for very long) simply because you missed something like a switch, or a platform or perhaps things got monotonous and you totally forget who you were or what you were doing. Alice herself seems to be hardly engaging as a character which makes moments like bumping into minor characters very trivial and legitametely boring. A lot of the dialogue is flowery and nonsensical (which fans might claim is part of the "charm" of the game and similar to the actual dialogue found in the book). In this case however, the dialogue simply causes the game to come off as an impenetrable mess of writing which sounded lazy, and deliberately eschews decent plot or story for pointless snippets of moronic disconnected gibberish. The only thing that will drag most players in is the general aesthetics, themes, and interesting locations explored in each chapter of the game. Alice: Madness Returns also has some fairly tight controls at times, but its hardly perfect. Its well made enough to get you through it, but many things will get tiresome the longer you play. Physx(tm) additions were hardly interesting, as Alice's clothing and hair physics were already programmed into the games OWN physics engine. This means that the only things effected by the addition of Physx(tm) technology are liquids and various debris. These hardly add anything to the actual experience and serve only to show just how useless Physx(tm) is and how generally leaving it on decreases game performance substantially with hardly any visual benefits. Bloom and a combination of high quality bloom lighting generally covers up areas of the game with horrid texture quality which wouldn't be a terrible problem, but even the re-released copy of the first Alice game, which is included with this game, feature higher quality textures on surfaces than some areas in "Madness Returns." Generally speaking the sound quality is fantastic and the actual music in the game is wonderfully ambient. At times it was the strongest element in a chapter and meshed well with combat sequences. It had a way of lulling you into a false sense of security and fit the art direction very well. The mechanics that don't work as well i.e. platforming, combat, tedious puzzles- serve only to slow down player progression, frustrate and ultimately (though they function) I wouldn't ever call them well executed or fun. They were simply ways to elongate gameplay at the end of the day. It is doubtful, but if these mechanics were put together in a better way, with more focus on tighter level design and with the same art direction- you could make a very good sequel to this game. Something with a bit more polish than this title would be revolutionary. Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2014
    Forget both the haters's and fanboys's reviews. They do not make justice to the game.

A: MR is a decent game with a decent port to PC. Yes, the controls feel clunky on PC, but it is playable. I completed the game on Nightmare on my first run without problems. However, the technical problems are, like Fuz said, an abomination. The art is fantastic. From the various locations in

The art is fantastic. From the various locations in Wonderland to Alice's dresses, the game is really well designed. It's a pity the graphics do not make justice to the art at all.

The gameplay is entertaining enough, with fast-paced battles and somewhat challenging puzzles, plus 4 or 5 mini-games throughout the whole story.

The OST is limited, but fantastic. It really enhances the ambient you are, whether it's a sad, scary or a beautiful one.

The story is really well, but at the same time it isn't. It's filled with plot-holes I can't seem to answer, specially the very end, where I find many plot-holes to be found on an apparently not well-thought plot. This game, just like the first Alice, needed a lot more work explaining the story and what happened to Alice in the real world IN DETAIL, whether it was on cinematics or in memories inside Wonderland. Though this still wouldn't fix some problems with Alice's family's death plot-holes, it would make the game more enjoyable and the plot more understandable.

The game overall feels too short though. I ended it in 3 days. Maybe that's why the story has many plot-holes, they couldn't make all the story fit in such a short game.
    Like I said, the game needed a lot more emphasis explaining the story. It kinda feels like they were rushed, maybe EA's influence?

A: MR has plenty of collectibles to be found. Bottles containing concept art and biographies on monsters and characters. Memories giving more background on the different character's stories involving Alice and themselves. Small things really, but they enhance the game quite a bit.

So, in resume, the game is ok. You will enjoy it on your first run and maybe have a second for collectibles. But you will forget it quite fast after that.
  20. Mar 2, 2014
    I love the art in this game, and when I first started, I thought the game play was excellent. However, the difficulty level is inconsistent. I consistently did pretty well or excellent, and then I'd enter a room where I had to retry it 10-20 times to make it through because it was suddenly insanely difficult. Then it would drop back down to easy or pleasantly difficult again.

Part of

Part of that is that there's little leveling up you can do. I was particularly irritated with the horse head weapon, because when you upgrade it to keep the power commiserate, speed became glacial and I was too slow to hit anything.

Also, sometimes when you fail they put you back in good spots. Sometimes they drop you back at the beginning of something else that took you 10 tries to complete.

It's pretty and the story is great, but I just got tired of endlessly having to retry everything. I might try it in easy mode and see if that's more consistent, although a lot of the normal mode was pleasantly difficult so easy might be too easy.
  21. Jan 30, 2014
    Alice Madness Returns has a very unique art style from what most would expect at first glance, it is dark and very much bleak. It brings forth an aspect of the human mind that most would not even have seen in their darkest nightmares. The combat system although repetitive at times, was made up for by a well written story that kept us progressing through the plot just so we could see whatAlice Madness Returns has a very unique art style from what most would expect at first glance, it is dark and very much bleak. It brings forth an aspect of the human mind that most would not even have seen in their darkest nightmares. The combat system although repetitive at times, was made up for by a well written story that kept us progressing through the plot just so we could see what Alice would do next. Expand
  22. Jan 11, 2014
    As a big fan of the first Alice, overrall I loved Madness Returns; I would certainly have enjoyed it a lot more if I hand't had to struggle with the terrible controls, the irritating camera and the various other bugs plaguing the game. There are a lot of nice ideas and great creepy music too. It does indeed feel a little dated - I believe it was delayed for years -, but the visual talentAs a big fan of the first Alice, overrall I loved Madness Returns; I would certainly have enjoyed it a lot more if I hand't had to struggle with the terrible controls, the irritating camera and the various other bugs plaguing the game. There are a lot of nice ideas and great creepy music too. It does indeed feel a little dated - I believe it was delayed for years -, but the visual talent of the game designers is unquestionable. Pity for the frustrating problems affecting an otherwise rewarding experience; I recommend purchasing it with a discount on Origin, it's nice but certainly not worth 50 bucks, and be prepared to tweak some config files if you want to get through the whole game. I gave it a 7, all things considered it might be a generous score, but it just feels so good to be back in Wonderland... Expand
  23. Dec 28, 2013
    Great level design and overall game play. Alice looks good and the physics of the hair is well done. The levels are inspired and never get boring hence there is always something new and unexpected thrown at you, just like a mad dream. Combat is satisfying with lots of combination of weapons at your disposal as the game progresses. Fun and addictive!
  24. Oct 6, 2013
    Should be called "Alice goes to slimelight" it's so goth fashion. However it's a great game, with a few niggles... Camera choices are sometimes a bit... er... Sometimes the targeting is broken and you'll end up dying simply because the camera couldn't be bothered to shift. Thankfully the game and atmosphere are good enough to make you able to ignore these setbacks.
  25. Aug 15, 2013
    Controlling the character during fights it's so painful that I couldn't get myself to finish even the first chapter. The platforming looked pretty repetitive, and after checking on youtube, out of curiosity, how the first big boss fight was all that I could say was: seriously? Are you freaking kidding me? This is lame. Make yourself a favor, if you liked the first Alice, play it once moreControlling the character during fights it's so painful that I couldn't get myself to finish even the first chapter. The platforming looked pretty repetitive, and after checking on youtube, out of curiosity, how the first big boss fight was all that I could say was: seriously? Are you freaking kidding me? This is lame. Make yourself a favor, if you liked the first Alice, play it once more and save your money, this sequel isn't worth it despite having a very good art. Expand
  26. Aug 10, 2013
    The game is beautiful, and the story and underlying concept of the game are entrancing. There are areas, however, that seem padded out in the worst possible way. And it is a little repetitive. Buy it on sale and love it.
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    Completed it and I don't really know what to feel about this. There was a beautiful game called American McGee's alice where she wrestled with her subconcious and here it just seems a little lazy in areas. The design is very beautiful and detailed, but the story itself insults fans of the origonal game by re-writting a few things for someone to make their own story in reguard to the wayCompleted it and I don't really know what to feel about this. There was a beautiful game called American McGee's alice where she wrestled with her subconcious and here it just seems a little lazy in areas. The design is very beautiful and detailed, but the story itself insults fans of the origonal game by re-writting a few things for someone to make their own story in reguard to the way children were treated in the time period it's set in. I won't give much away, but that is somewhat of a focus of it, however the ending felt very bitter sweet to me I have to say.

I'd only get it on sale and even then, check the steam forums where people have shown how to modify the game code to a much smoother and better working Alice game.

Hell the first time where it looks like there's a boss battle it gets interupted, making me wonder if there were origonally more boss battles in this apart from the ending, but had to be cut due to time constraints. The game by itself is Average at best, but the fact that they try to tie it to the origonal is horrible and they even add a sister who never exsisted just to play into their whole story that, as I said above, leads to a rarther bitter-sweet ending that leaves a foul taste in your mouth. Also the collectables are pointless as there are no alternate endings to it through a search on youtube has revealed.

You do not have all the many weapons like in the origonal game, but instead only four weapons. Another pet-peeve is where the first game is felt more like wonderland could actually be another world, this game makes it much more like it's 100% that Alice is insane and her wonderland is altered from everything she sees during her lucid states.

A good thing many fans will love is the many different dresses available that are all quite creative and awesome. some of the imagry is quite dark and disturbing too, but again it falls flat when you realise the gameplay is average and it insults a game that was considered by fans as an offical sequal to the Lewis Carrol books.
  28. Jul 26, 2013
    Alice Madness Returns is one of those games you would really want to like. With some polishing and stronger story-telling it could have been great game. Unfortunately, as it is, this game is very mediocre in almost all aspects. It has shallow story and characters, bad dialog, repetitive gameplay, messy controls and camera that can't quite keep up.

The only strong point of this game is

The only strong point of this game is visual design. Few games manage to great so unique and surreal visual experience. Unfortunately even this is ruined by low texture quality. Overall visual feel is a bit messy and blurry.

If you like platformers and don't expect anything exceptional or deep, this game might be okay buy. Also if you liked the original game, this has very same feel in it. Otherwise, I would skip this one.
  29. Jul 23, 2013
    Liked the game for its very beautiful graphics, atmosphere.
    Disadvantages are IMO arcade style instead of more classic shooter which was the first game of series, and also improper mouse support for PC
  30. Jul 11, 2013
    The psychological and aesthetic elements of grimy, disease-ridden industrial London are a joy to see in the real-world segments, as Alice drifts between waking sanity and the mad dream of Wonderland; it really is fascinating to compare Wonderland's inhabitants and state to its real-world counterparts, and see what inspires the dreams. This is enough to score a marginally favorable reviewThe psychological and aesthetic elements of grimy, disease-ridden industrial London are a joy to see in the real-world segments, as Alice drifts between waking sanity and the mad dream of Wonderland; it really is fascinating to compare Wonderland's inhabitants and state to its real-world counterparts, and see what inspires the dreams. This is enough to score a marginally favorable review out of me, but with the caveats of the game's many flaws: Wonderland itself has become exceedingly dull, lacking the feel of the original game's Wonderland or the original books'; the new moving-cutout cutscene style just seems lazy rather than interesting; Roger Jackson has forgotten how to do the Cheshire Cat properly; framerate frequently drops into choppy hell regardless of the machine you run it on; and perhaps worst of all: exactly one boss battle, but the game teases a thousand more.

Let me give you an example from the first few hours of the game (it's more than long enough that this is hardly a spoiler): the Dormouse and the March Hare have stolen the Hatter's limbs, and you have to go recover them. In so doing, you fight your way through their respective levels. At the end of the level, however, rather than fight you, each one runs away, leaving the limbs behind for you to simply retrieve. This is okay so far. But then, after you've put the Hatter back together and followed him to face the Hare and Dormouse together, he is picked up by a machine arm as he enters what is clearly a boss battle chamber. An enormous steampunk monstrosity, jointly piloted by the Hare and the Dormouse, rises up and prepares to fight you...and then the arms drop and fall off, the Hare and the Dormouse are ejected forward onto the main platform (both dead), and the Hatter drops out of nowhere in a stereotypical "badass landing" pose. Cue wake-up cutscene.

And this sort of teasing happens CONSTANTLY, until the very last boss. This isn't interesting. This is just frustrating. I want to play a game, American McGee, so how about you LET ME PLAY IT and stop playing it for me at every climax?
  31. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    Haven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me duringHaven't played the first game but this one deserves all the good genuine reviews it got. Graphics are amazing and gameplay is interesting even if a little repetitive. Alice is stunning and the plot behind the smash-and-kill action is deep and serious without sounding pretentious. Some minor bugs and glitches can ruin some battles but that really happens rarely (three times for me during the entire game). 8 out of 10. Expand
  32. Jun 6, 2013
    A pretty mediocre platforming game, however it is the art style and the character of the game that makes this one worth a play.
  33. Apr 16, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a pretty good game. Despite dull and sometimes repetitive textures, Alice: MR still manages to be aesthetically pleasing. This is due to the great use or art style and design. The designs to most of the characters are interesting and relate them to something physical or psychological with Alice herself (much like Silent Hill's monster designs). This is a matureAlice: Madness Returns is a pretty good game. Despite dull and sometimes repetitive textures, Alice: MR still manages to be aesthetically pleasing. This is due to the great use or art style and design. The designs to most of the characters are interesting and relate them to something physical or psychological with Alice herself (much like Silent Hill's monster designs). This is a mature game and there are some mature messages and innuendos throughout. The sound design is good, but not particularly memorable. There is quite a bit length to this game and that contributes to a bit of a been-there-done-that feeling in the last 1/4 of it. The combat expands throughout the game with the introduction of new weapons, but it's not a big list and does get tiresome later on. Platforming plays a big part in this game as well and I found it to be a bit cumbersome with the mouse and keyboard, but once I plugged in my controller everything was smooth sailing. And that pretty much wraps up this game. It is a good game and worth a play-through, but it's nothing fantastic.
    VERDICT: Worth a bargain-bin buy. 7/10
  34. Mar 15, 2013
    this game is awesome i loved every second of it and just wish that it was even longer than what it was. if you havnt got this game already you should go and buy it.
  35. Feb 3, 2013
    The game unfortunately has a number of game breaking bugs that currently there are NO fixes for.

On my first play I got to a part where you go up an elevator except it did not transition to the next cutscene. No amount of replaying to that point solved it. I then had to download someone else's save and use the chapter select menu to play. Unfortunately there is no save function with

Unfortunately there is no save function with this method so it was by luck that I resumed where I wanted. I then ran into a second game breaking bug towards the end where on finishing a chapter it would not load the next level. It would just crash.

The gameplay is ho-hum at best. The entire game is just platforming and some monkey level grade puzzles that don't require much thought at all. Seriously the entire game is just platform jumping, the combat never evolves much. It shows moments of brilliance but there's about 1/10th brilliance to 9/10ths horrendously boring platforms and puzzles.

Compared to the previous games they nearly do away almost entirely with interesting combat. They vary the enemies a lot mid game but then go back to the regular ones for the end.

Each chapter follows an identical forumla, introduce new enemies. Then jump jump jump. Quirky part.. chase some main character. Then that's it.

Artistically and graphically it has it's moments. The level design and look is brilliant except for a few chapters, it ends on a weak note really. Overall it's a very PG experience compared to the first one.

You never feel attached to any of the characters like in the last one, they never kill any of them off. As I said it's a very PG experience all in all.

The story is painfully predictable, and fizzles out towards the end with no real conclusion.

I have no doubt EA ruined much of this. They likely forced the devs to keep the overall gameplay simple, hence why it's nothing but platforming jumps. The combat again is equally simple compared to the last game, MB1 all day long.

What ruins this game is ultimately it's mechanics, the lack of interaction with the characters, and game design, all of which are boring and as stale as you like. The cat is the only one you really interact with much.

Sad, I really wanted to like this game, but it's ultimately emotionless. You spend the entire game wondering what's happened to Alice in reality as opposed to exploring the characters or Wonderland's madness.
  36. Jan 31, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game that needs to be experienced. It's a wonderful journey through a weird and haunting place. This is a game that feels fresh in today's gaming world. So please, pick it up and give it a try.
  37. Jan 30, 2013
    I have found this game to be really quite fun. The layout of wonderland is always well done, and can go from beautiful and peaceful, to very bleak and empty. I enjoyed the gameplay, although I can see why others may have found some aspects repetitive. The voice acting was very good, with a odd but otherwise fairly solid plot. I would happily recommend this game.
  38. Jan 14, 2013
    Alice: MR is a simple 3D platformer with great environmental design and story pace. Puzzle and combat difficulty wise it's certainly between medium to low. But then I spent 15 hours on it (getting all the hidden stuff on my way) which means it has A LOT of content. The hidden elements reveals why Alice would have constructed such an environment that you're in, which is a very innovativeAlice: MR is a simple 3D platformer with great environmental design and story pace. Puzzle and combat difficulty wise it's certainly between medium to low. But then I spent 15 hours on it (getting all the hidden stuff on my way) which means it has A LOT of content. The hidden elements reveals why Alice would have constructed such an environment that you're in, which is a very innovative approach.

It's that type of game which would burn some scenes into your mind and let you savor a bit of the psychology/ psychiatry world.
  39. Nov 22, 2012
    Not as good as the original American McGee's Alice, the sequel still manages to create a similarly fascinating world with very diverse level designs. The horror is more subtle in this one as all aspects tend to a brighter version than in the original game, somewhat lightening the otherwise dark mood of the story. This is a nice action game full of creative elements. Especially the levelsNot as good as the original American McGee's Alice, the sequel still manages to create a similarly fascinating world with very diverse level designs. The horror is more subtle in this one as all aspects tend to a brighter version than in the original game, somewhat lightening the otherwise dark mood of the story. This is a nice action game full of creative elements. Especially the levels are well designed and each has its distinct atmosphere. The game experience is intense and there are many threats as the story increases in its dramatic narration. Still, the original was slightly more inventive and dared to be darker, where the new Alice focuses more on surrealism. All in all a worthy sequel and a good game worth its money, being in the Alice franchise it delivers a great colourful contrast to the almost bland titles around it. Expand
  40. Oct 31, 2012
    This game is awesome. I play it with a gforce 660M gpu, top resolution, it looks great and it runs smoothly. It is a console port, so keyboard and mouse won´t make the best gameplay experience, it´s better to play it with an xbox 360 controller. The controls are responsive, although i am having some camera issues specially when going to close rooms (i can´t rotate theThis game is awesome. I play it with a gforce 660M gpu, top resolution, it looks great and it runs smoothly. It is a console port, so keyboard and mouse won´t make the best gameplay experience, it´s better to play it with an xbox 360 controller. The controls are responsive, although i am having some camera issues specially when going to close rooms (i can´t rotate the camera in some places). All in all, don´t think twice to buy it if you have the machine and the controller to enjoy it at its best. Very fun, creepy, totally crazy ambient; freaky goth alice and some good fights. More than enough. Enjoy it! Expand
  41. Aug 30, 2012
    The best game of 2011, with a great plot and charismatic characters. The gameplay is a little bit old, but still funny and the graphics are simply stunning! A trip in this dark and twisted Wonderland is highly recondemned: I assure you won\'t forget it easily!
  42. Aug 12, 2012
    What i like about this game is that the art style and the game world is simply amazing. There are tons of thing to stop and look at and in 3D its just stunning. The story is pretty bad and i really didnt get it before the end of the game and than it was like a little to late to make a difference. The graphics is pretty average but the amazing game world makes it stand out. Overall theWhat i like about this game is that the art style and the game world is simply amazing. There are tons of thing to stop and look at and in 3D its just stunning. The story is pretty bad and i really didnt get it before the end of the game and than it was like a little to late to make a difference. The graphics is pretty average but the amazing game world makes it stand out. Overall the games gameplay was way to repetetive but somehow i still kept pushing through because i wanted to see what crazy map i could play on next Expand
  43. Aug 10, 2012
    A severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed moreA severely underrated game which is better than psychonauts and such titles but doesn't get as much praise. The gameplay and fighting is robust, there are many enemy and weapon types allowing for diversity, and complexity. I like platformers in general, this one is a little easy but great because of the amazing level design. The story and art are at the top. If the gameplay allowed more replayability and was more original the game could easily deserve a 10, yet it already deserves a 10 in every other category, art direction, sound, voice acting, graphics and polish. The game is also long, and full of content, bursting with quality. Expand
  44. Jul 20, 2012
    I made a metacritic account just to tell everyone how amazing I think this game is. The graphics are stunning, the story, voice acting, and music are fantastic, and I personally have not had a single issue with the PC controls. I have to force myself to stop playing and go to bed! If you like puzzle games and actually having to explore the world, then you'll like this!
  45. Jul 8, 2012
    This was quite an enjoyable game. The scenery in the levels is quite well done, the enemies are unique and the dark story line kept me playing. The only issues I had were lag problems when too much was going on at once, even on a powerful computer. Also, the occasional poor camera angle, but for a platformer that issue was few and far between. Very enjoyable.
  46. Jun 11, 2012
    One of the best games of 2011. In times of short and easy action games we get incredible hardcore adventure showed in unique graphic style. It was hard to beat previous Alice but they did it. I cannot wait for next episode of psychodelic crazy trip with Alice.
  47. Jun 2, 2012
    Critics got this one wrong, this game has great graphics, originality, and is a lot of fun - user score of 8.6 is about right.. Gameplay reminds me of Darksiders-has shooter, slasher and explosive weapons.......twisted storyline......pick it up on Steam next time it is on sale - well worth it.
  48. May 17, 2012
    I was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a livingI was always a big fan of the Alice universe. I love the Disney movie, the one from 1951, and of course i was excited when i read they made a continuation from American Mcgees Alice. Sadly i couldn't play it back in 2000, had no pc that time, but before AMR was released, i could get a copy of that game and played it. I was amazed what they made of the wonderland, turning it into a living nightmare. I liked it, and when i saw the pictures from AMR i was sure it would be a great game. Pre-ordered the game, and then i read a few critics. Some of them where really harsh, was it really a good idea to preorder it? But i thought, give the game a chance. So when the game was finally here, i was like: What the f*** is wrong with you? Did you really played the same game as i did? The game is not perfect, i must admit. The camera is terrible and has a life of its own. I had situation where i had to fight more with the camera than with my enemies. But apart from that the controls where ok. Sadly Alice doesn't grab on ledges like she did in part one. Could have saved me from a few unnecessary falls. Something that has been criticized too was that you cold see loading textures. It did not bother me, don't know why they made a fuss out of it. What personally bothered me was that interesting locations, like Queensland, where simply too short. For me, that was the best part of the game. The location was interesting, eerie and full of details. Shame they where so short.
    Another thing i have to critc are the Mini-games. Sure, they were fun but not really challenging. But enough of the negative, the positive aspects clearly outweigh those little blemishes. AMR has an atmosphere that i really miss at todays games. Take the Vale of tears for example, or the mentioned Queensland. So many details, and boy, what an atmosphere. This is essentially due to excellent dubbing, and of course not to forget the music. The music is not intrusive or overloaded, she just fits perfectly. The dubbing, the game is multilingual, and is definitely worth mentioning. I played first with the German dubbing, and i have to say, the dubbers make a good job. The voices fits to their characters. I played the game with the english dubbing too, but i like the one in my mother language more. This is of course a matter of taste, both are great and worth to listen to. So let me sum up: Positive: Atmospheric and interesting locations. Good dubbers and music. A lot to discover. Very good character and enemy design. Negative: Stubborn camera, especially in combat. Mini-games are no challenge. Interesting locations are too short. The game could be bit longer. Personally the game was worth its money. It's not perfect, but definitely worth to be played. I really hope they make a third part of this game. Would be a shame if they didn't.
  49. May 12, 2012
    Alice is a fantastic journey of creativity and innovation with a twist of psychosis. It's a solid puzzle platformer offering occasional action alongside shattered story pieces which eventually end up being glued back together.

It's one gleaming fault is the puzzles get wearisome due to their excessive repetition, chapter after chapter. This stems from the fact that the game doesn't offer equal amounts of platforming, action, and story elements. It's more like 75% platforming and 25% divided by the other two. Now the platforming aspect is done very well--there's just too much of it.

Overall, I highly enjoyed the game, but I wouldn't want to play it all the way through a second time.
  50. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's talk about what really makes a game "good," and what game reviews should therefore focus on (and typically don't, at least these days). For me, personally (a "hardcore" gamer with over 25 years of experience), it isn't any of the things that nearly all critical reviews seem to focus on: graphics, sound, etc. Sure, they matter. However, graphics and sound (and an invisible wall here and there) don't make the game, and they certainly don't make it "memorable" or worthy of 9.0+ (out of ten) scores. What, then, are the keys? In my opinion, it's simply a series of questions that couldn't be more simple:

a). Did you feel as though you "loved" the game (and/or character(s)), and did this only intensify as the game progressed?
    b). Upon the game's conclusion, did you feel hopelessly compelled to begin another quest (thank God for "new game +"), in spite of the five or more games you might have downloaded after this one and not played yet?
    c). While playing the game, were there numerous moments where you simply sat in front of your screen in awe of what you were witnessing (artistically, etc.)? How big was the smile on your face, or how trance-like was your state (how absorbed were you into the moment)?
    d). How likely are you to emphatically recommend the game to another and tell them how amazing or truly one-of-a-kind it is (regardless of any reason you can vocalize at said time)?

Really, that's all there is to it. Now, if I go back and look at the average game that say, IGN or Gamespot has given a 9.0 or higher within the past generation(or even 2011, specifically), what will I find? Say I compared these scores to the average gamer score...what's the standard deviation of critcally-scored 9.0 titles vs. gamer scores?

What irks me most is that, without looking, I already know the answers and implications of these questions.
  51. Apr 4, 2012
    Well, first off, I should say that one of the first things I had to do after trying this game for the first time was to find out why my framerate was locked at 30. Turns out, the graphical engine is limited to 30 fps since thatâ
  52. Apr 2, 2012
    An amazingly artistic game. Graphics, characters, story and art style are wonderful. I didn't regret for waiting ten years for a Alice sequel after had played this game. It is really shame that critics gave this game only 70 - 80 points. Do not afraid of bugs, most of them handled via patches.
  53. Mar 23, 2012
    The graphics are the best I've ever seen! Because They Are Not perfect, but why is an amazing piece of art! Innovative gameplay up to see, soundtrack and Competent and well fulfills excellant role, but the most demanding gamers to get pros Can get repetitive and there are some bugs That hinder gambling. Certainly it is one of the best games of 2011 and Perhaps the best platform game thisThe graphics are the best I've ever seen! Because They Are Not perfect, but why is an amazing piece of art! Innovative gameplay up to see, soundtrack and Competent and well fulfills excellant role, but the most demanding gamers to get pros Can get repetitive and there are some bugs That hinder gambling. Certainly it is one of the best games of 2011 and Perhaps the best platform game this year, I recommend! Expand
  54. Mar 19, 2012
    I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller.I originally dismissed this game when it was released, but picked it up recently. I was very pleasantly surprised by the detailed environments and loving stylisation. The combat, while not the deepest or most satisfying, is flashy enough to keep me entertained. The story is certainly one of the most involving to be found in modern video games; it is a very competent psychological thriller. It is certainly not for everybody, however, as it is very dark. Overall, it is a very beautiful game. Quite the hidden gem. Expand
  55. Mar 11, 2012
    This game was nice. Lots of issues (that's what you get when you let EA rush a game with great potential), most noticeably the physx engine, which for ATI cards, can only run at low.
    The story and graphics were definitely the highlights, however it's a shame they decided to go for the ambiguous ending considering they're unlikely to ever be given funding by EA again.
  56. Feb 20, 2012
    This is not an innovative game in the sense that it has come up with some brilliant new concept. Rather, the game is something of a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot series but it has taken the same childish simplicity and brought it into a mature context. The graphic designers have decided not to pursue realism, but rather have gone in a similar direction to that of the Bioshock seriesThis is not an innovative game in the sense that it has come up with some brilliant new concept. Rather, the game is something of a throwback to the Crash Bandicoot series but it has taken the same childish simplicity and brought it into a mature context. The graphic designers have decided not to pursue realism, but rather have gone in a similar direction to that of the Bioshock series ââ Expand
  57. Feb 14, 2012
    First, this game is a console game, which I normally hate, but in this case I was aware of that, as the first Alice already was. It only goes further this time because of the stupid auto-save, which makes you miss a lot of hidden stuff (even though the game is very linear).
    But it's still ok. While game works at 30FPS by default, something we too owe to consoles, fortunately you can tweak some files to get 70, and that changes A LOT.

Visually, and in the narration, Madness Returns took everything from the first, and made it better.
    I thought that it looked a bit "angular" in Youtube movies, and it kinda does, but there's a reason for that: the game is HUGE. Textures aren't too high-res, but there are SO MANY of them and they all look so amazing, well the game is (visually) a real piece of art.
    I also never played a so inspired game. Lots of good ideas in there.

Now the ugly, & why I couldn't give it a higher score: the infamous umbrella bug (but not just that).
    It's really bad, not because it's so tricky to fix, but because everyone on the internet as his own way to fix it, and you have to waste hours trying to find the one that works. And it's not even complex.. once you know it. Also the bug occurs when a boss arrives, and you really wonder what's wrong with it, EVEN THOUGH I already knew about the umbrella bug (imagine the one who hasn't..), it's really tricky because even when it works, it only works during targeting (more on that later).

The first levels are easy enough, but there's a big problem with the gameplay, you hardly get a hint (or rather, you get misleading ones) on whether you hit the enemy or not. So you fail to beat a boss several times in a row, you wonder what's wrong, if you're missing a specific strategy, you check Youtube, and you realize that no, there was no strategy, you just have to shoot the boss for minutes until he dies.
    It's supposed to be easier when using the targeting system, but that targeting system.. just blows. First, it's the one thing you expect on console but NOT ON A PC. But sadly, you have to use it, many times
    Second, it doesn't help, it often does more harm than good.
    But anyway, if you start cheating (something you learn while trying to fix the umbrella bug) during the middle of the game, the experience won't be worse, the fights are just fun during the first half, believe me.

The platform aspect of the game is enjoyable, sure you miss a lot, but the game is very forgiving. The triple jump+floating sometimes makes it more a flight simulator than a platformer, but that's definitely enjoyable, and better than the first Alice.
    I wasn't convinced about the shrinking replacing crouching at first, but it's actually very nice.

The level design.. well it's good, except for the "dolls" part that's really repetitive. But there's one problem with it: as I wrote, the artwork is wonderful, but it's just that, artwork. This is the kind of game for which the level design was made roughly, and then levels were filled with artwork, but NOT TOUCHING the "hit" geometry. That is, there are a lot of nicely crafted objects, mountains & all, but very rough hit boxes around them all, and you often see stuff that you can't climb on or pass under, just because they're only decoration.

But again, it looks amazing, you don't expect this quality for such a huge game. And actually, in the level you visit the most in the game (the town part), you can see what the artists can achieve when they put even more work, and it's gorgeous.
    And of course, it's Alice, and she has a really great charism.

Oh, and the vocals. By mistake I played the french version, and thought it would have been a mistake, but no! The localization is EXCELLENT, and it's extremely rare (in fact, the last good localization I remember is in the first Alice). More, it's not just the vocals, even all of the signs in game have been translated with taste. The only few glitches are people speaking over themselves because french is typically longer, but that's rare enough.

So I believe that Madness Returns is a game that should have been a movie. The narration & graphics are amazing, it's more adult than the first Alice, and as a movie it would have blown Tim Burton's stuff. But I can't imagine this ever made as a movie, because a movie costs big money & thus has to be watchable by kids, which this game isn't at all (not so much because of the visuals but because of some of the subjects in the story).
  58. Feb 8, 2012
    Great game with fantastic original artwork and very fun to play. The only reason it is not higher is that the pc controls are unworkable so i was forced to use a 360 controller which was unfortunate. It was also marked down for a game breaking bug where you could not use the umbrella which is a core part of the game if you remapped the controls. That aside, the graphics and artwork wereGreat game with fantastic original artwork and very fun to play. The only reason it is not higher is that the pc controls are unworkable so i was forced to use a 360 controller which was unfortunate. It was also marked down for a game breaking bug where you could not use the umbrella which is a core part of the game if you remapped the controls. That aside, the graphics and artwork were second to none and despite it dragging out for a bit near then end, it was a VERY enjoyable experience. I look forward to something more from these devs. Expand
  59. Feb 8, 2012
    Absolutely stunning and very beautiful game. If you don't have a very nice computer don't even bother because you won't be able to fully enjoy the beauty of it. A perfect sequel to the first game and didn't dissapoint. Very compelling and unique plot.
  60. Jan 28, 2012
    The graphical style is by far the best thing about this game - it may not be hyper-modern, but it's so cute and imaginative, the environments change completely with each chapter and Alice's outfits and movements are perfect. The combat is hectic, sometimes a bit confusing and quite difficult, but not frustrating. On the PC, controls and camera have some issues. Overall, it's a very goodThe graphical style is by far the best thing about this game - it may not be hyper-modern, but it's so cute and imaginative, the environments change completely with each chapter and Alice's outfits and movements are perfect. The combat is hectic, sometimes a bit confusing and quite difficult, but not frustrating. On the PC, controls and camera have some issues. Overall, it's a very good take on the contemporary "platformer game", and it fortunately retains everything that was good about American McGee's Alice. Expand
  61. Jan 13, 2012
    Shikaarnaya igruha) Mne ochen ponravilas eta igra... Bezumie na visokom urovne, a v nekotorih mestah tak voobshe zashkalivaet) IGRAT' VSEM!!! Privet vsem russkim kritikam))
  62. Jan 6, 2012
    Alice MR is unpolished and feels rushed and outsourced, cheep... can you say all your base belongs to us? The story doesn't translate well and seems disjointed, discombobulated, disdonsounlikerearengrisck, I didn't even know what happened until after beating the game then reading up on what the game was about. This was partially due to dialogue overlapping and/with sound effects. The artAlice MR is unpolished and feels rushed and outsourced, cheep... can you say all your base belongs to us? The story doesn't translate well and seems disjointed, discombobulated, disdonsounlikerearengrisck, I didn't even know what happened until after beating the game then reading up on what the game was about. This was partially due to dialogue overlapping and/with sound effects. The art is stunning and beautiful, the action is average/boring, the puzzles are mostly horrible with random parts hidden due to the combination of poor camera angles and extremely poor map design. I got no satisfaction after beating it other then it was finally over. Expand
  63. Jan 1, 2012
    Just as imaginative and fun as the original game. Beautiful scenery and creative gameplay make this a unique game and very fun to play. I hope that EA makes a third game if possible.
  64. Dec 31, 2011
    Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though,Own this game via Steam for PC with a Logitech gamepad. If you're looking at this game, a controller is a must. This game, if you're into a sort of dark, twisted fairy tail atmosphere, is brilliant. Granted, the graphics could be slightly better, but it still looks great. Lots of secrets to discover, but so far hasn't seemed entirely worth the extra effort (haven't finished it yet though, so I don't know if it unlocks extra bits). It has a nice blend of platforming and action I think, so it doesn't get too repetitive for too long. Only reason I haven't rated it higher are minor issues. Sometimes, the camera just doesn't respond well and leaves you blindsided for a short bit. Also, there's a 'targeting' system that can require a lot of babysitting and quite often, leaves you struggling to attack the foe you want to be attacking. The game kind of makes up for this by not making a big deal out of dying. You don't lose teeth (the game's currency), you're not usually set back far at all, no real life counter or "Game Over" bs. I bought this on sale. I wouldn't have paid the full $30 for it knowing what I know, but if you're looking for a fun hack'n'slash, action game, sprinkled with some puzzles, with a great, dark, artsy atmosphere that only Alice in Wonderland can really offer, then pick it up. Expand
  65. Dec 29, 2011
    This little game is one of the more inventive ones I've got the chance to see for the past years. More fun than the first Prince game after the trilogy and with quite a bit of style poured into Unreal 3. Alice's hair reminds me of Nvidia's Nalu. Giving it a 10 for great justice, as people are mostly overlooking this gem of a game.
  66. Dec 28, 2011
    I have to say this is the game with some of the best visuals I have ever seen, certainly from a creative perspective - the imagination put into it is really rarely seen. The mouse controls on PC I have no problems with after I slow the responsiveness down considerably. There is, however, a big problem with the engine - you have to turn off most of the PhysX effects or even turn them offI have to say this is the game with some of the best visuals I have ever seen, certainly from a creative perspective - the imagination put into it is really rarely seen. The mouse controls on PC I have no problems with after I slow the responsiveness down considerably. There is, however, a big problem with the engine - you have to turn off most of the PhysX effects or even turn them off completely to get any kind of decent frame rate. This can put off a lot of people, but can be fixed relatively easily by reading various online tutorials on editing the game's .ini files. The gameplay is mostly satisfying, sometimes too slow, but for me the visual make up for it. All in all, I would recommend this game to any platform lover with a decent graphics card and CPU. Expand
  67. Dec 28, 2011
    The game is pretty good, The story is dark and keeps you on edge. The 2D cutscenes are fantastic. And the music is really good. Very good voice acting. I highly recommend this game. 10/10
  68. Dec 26, 2011
    I don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal toI don't know why people hate it, but I like this game. It is a wicked twist on Alice In Wonderland, and it is better than it sounds. There are many collectibles and "memories" you get throughout the game. There are also a lot of things you can do throughout the game. And it has a decent difficulty too. I have no idea why people are complaining about mouse controls, it's pretty normal to me. I have to say, I did not expect this. I expected non-stop blood and gore, but the story is a treat. The graphics are pretty good, and it's compatible with an Xbox gamepad. All I have to say is that it is a bit repetitive, but that's normal for this kind of game. Overall this is an amazing game, and I don't know what all of the hate is about. 9/10 Expand
  69. Dec 26, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later weAlice: Madness Returns has been gracing my computer for a few days now and I've got to say that it is a solid game and one that I'm glad to have in my collection. While the game doesn't break any new ground as far as game playing mechanics go, the game does very well with its art, storytelling, and theme. It sticks to the original very well and I'm glad that even after 10 years later we are seeing familiar characters the way we left them so long ago. Its a very fun game if you are looking to be entertained by a twisted take on a story that has been around for so long. I enjoyed it even if it didn't give me something new to mash my buttons. I think Occam's Razor really comes to mind in this game. It makes up for mechanics with a story, art, and characters. Expand
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    I LOVE this game! I don't agree with most negative reviews. This is old school with a fresh look. PhysX is a nice touch. I really HOPE there will be a 3rd and don't have to wait another 10 years. :) I played and loved the first game also. Very imaginative and smooth gameply. Nice job to the programmers!! 10/10!
  71. Dec 12, 2011
    I loved Alice and was hoping for the same experience with Alice Madness Returns... and I almost got it. Both its predecessor and this game have always been essentially a "twisted" arcade game. You might want to look for the quarter slot on the side of your gaming device... BUT that does not mean that its not a fun game. It is pure entertainment with a bit of skill. Hardcore gamers willI loved Alice and was hoping for the same experience with Alice Madness Returns... and I almost got it. Both its predecessor and this game have always been essentially a "twisted" arcade game. You might want to look for the quarter slot on the side of your gaming device... BUT that does not mean that its not a fun game. It is pure entertainment with a bit of skill. Hardcore gamers will likely feel a let down, but the casual gamer will like this game. I thought the color and feel of the game was on the mark, although I felt the mechanics of it was a bit off (somewhat difficult to control from a PC). The game feels a bit rushed... not so much do to a lack of development, but rather on a misguided perception that gamers don't to spend too much time for detailed story development and they want to jump straight to the action. This may be true in a traditional FPS, but this game is meant to play more like a interactive story. The bottom line for me is that although the game does not quite make it to the level of story and skill as its predecessor... I do not regret (too much) that I pre-ordered it and paid full price. Do yourself a favor... hunt down an old copy of Alice and then take a swing at this game. Together I think you will find it a nice set. Expand
  72. Dec 10, 2011
    A very creepy history on this game, and totally different from most common games in an uncommon way. many physx cool effects graphics are okay textures not so much . Game play is a bit hard with the excessive mouse movement. keyboard controls are okay. the game itself is interesting it will for sure absorb you on it, because it will take you to research some things, in order to achieveA very creepy history on this game, and totally different from most common games in an uncommon way. many physx cool effects graphics are okay textures not so much . Game play is a bit hard with the excessive mouse movement. keyboard controls are okay. the game itself is interesting it will for sure absorb you on it, because it will take you to research some things, in order to achieve them you will have to fight monsters, solve some puzzles in "shrink" mode to go other places, go through hard ways where you will have to use your skills to avoid dying.
    I found this game Good enough to recommend it to play or buy. I give this game a 9 because of the weird mouse movement and the lack of quests information that let you sometimes without knowing what to do.
  73. Nov 9, 2011
    visuals! atmosphere! story! definitely enjoyable in those areas. can get repetitive (a lot of jumping) but its still worth it. I didn't have any problems with controls they are adjustable in the options.
  74. Nov 8, 2011
    The keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its aThe keyboard+mouse controls are a bit odd at first but you will get used to them after a few combats. The grim/creepy atmosphere is what made the game awesome for me. The graphics are OK, nothing too great but not bad either. The music is also nice. The story isnt so great, and they also rushed the ending in my opinion. I haven't played the first title so I can't compare the two, but its a good game. Expand
  75. Oct 24, 2011
    This game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if youThis game would be a 10, but it has some issues that really need to be patched. Save points are automatic, not controllable, and in terrible places. You can get through an entire section, get nearly through a large combat only to die, and have to replay the entire section. Also the Umbrella control key mapping is broken on the PC. Go online to find instructions on how to fix if you have problems. Plus you can easily miss out finding areas because the game pushes you through and the auto save keeps you from being able to go back. I really want to love this game, but I can't until the major issues are fixed. Expand
  76. Oct 17, 2011
    It's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hiddenIt's a shame that how bias and ignorant video game journalism is nowadays. The gameplay is formulaic? just combining a standard third person action and old-school platform? All COD games are the same, what say you? 9? 10? Invisible walls? you know almost every game has them. Long chapters and hidden collectibles make it a lengthy adventure?ah, now, the game length being long and hidden elements are disadvantages. my opinion about this game: Alice Madness Returns has beautifully twisted art style and atmosphere. the gameplay is not innovative but still fun. The game itself is filled with intense action, interactive environments, and interesting puzzles. Yes, Alice MR has its own problems, for example, the length is a bit short comparing to the original one and the control can be jerky at times. yet, playing through game is still an enjoyable experience. Overall a sold 8 out of 10. Expand
  77. Sep 21, 2011
    This game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replayThis game was very fun. The graphics and scenery are astounding and the Devs really took a lot of attention to detail in many of these themes of places that we taken for granted. Plus the array of wonderland weapons is really creative and funny. The vast amounts of enemies with there own strength and weaknesses. I really enjoyed the game. Sadly the game lacks more content and making replay ability poor. Another let down was the ending and end boss fight was a little too boring and cliche. But still enjoyed its gross gory wonderland fun puzzle thriller. Expand
  78. Sep 14, 2011
    The art and music direction in this game are stunning. The platforming is quite fun and reminiscent of the great platformers of old. I enjoyed my play-through of Alice and will likely play it again at some point in the future, using the included Game+ mode. This game played flawlessly with no bugs or performance issues. A few of the puzzles are a bit tedious, and some of the jumping canThe art and music direction in this game are stunning. The platforming is quite fun and reminiscent of the great platformers of old. I enjoyed my play-through of Alice and will likely play it again at some point in the future, using the included Game+ mode. This game played flawlessly with no bugs or performance issues. A few of the puzzles are a bit tedious, and some of the jumping can get pretty brutal, but the presentation and style of the game are so tight it's easy to look past these issues. If you like puzzle platformers like the original Alice, this is a great game. Expand
  79. Aug 30, 2011
    beautiful graphics, good story, psychological violence that contrasts well with the graphics caricatured final, beautiful PhysX effects

As a fan of america Mcgee, Alice, reawakened the interest of the dark side of the classic story, would not surprise me in the near future on the big screen to see the film
  80. Aug 30, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a Action Platformer Adventure game (I would say) which is a sequel of the first Alice game (American McGee's Alice). When I picked up the game I was expecting me a story driven game with an amazing and special art style with some of that 3D platforming I really like from game like Super Mario Galaxy and Jak and Daxter, but I got disappointed.

The story is about

The story is about Alice who is back in action but is still haunted by her past. The scene with her house burning with her family in the first game keeps on haunting her in this game. The story got a little to confusing for me on the first run through so I suggest 2 run through the game to grasp the whole story. Gameplay wise the game is a 3D platformer with Super Mario style platforming sections. In this game Alice have a 4 double jumping ability with a leviate ability after each jump. With this mechanic I feel the game has stretched its platform all over the place so the world feels kinda empty. As for the combat; you get 2 melee weapons and 2 ranged weapons. The Vorpal Blade, a fast style weapon which uses small swipes to take of the enemies for you. The Horse Thing, I giant horse head on a stick Alice uses to deal heavy damage with slow attack speed. The Teapot, basically a grenade launcher, and The Peppergrinder, which is basically a machine gun. The combat runs fluid but may be interrupted from time to time because of the camera not willing to work together with you.

Overall I was quite dissapointed over the game. I expected a story driven game but ended up with a un finished hybrid between story and gameplay. In the long run this game got quite annoying and stretches its parts for far to long and just got obnoxuis. I only recommend this game to the player base who is already decided on buying this game just because of the special idea of a F'ed up Alice world.
  81. Aug 26, 2011
    amazing sound design and graphical level design go a very long way to excusing rather repetitive game play at times.

Every second of the game feels like an analyses of the protagonists psyche as it should, coupled with a surprisingly dark story provided plenty of incentive as well to play through the overlong levels especially in the second half of the game. Combat is instantly

Combat is instantly recognizable from similar action games like god of war or darksiders and does little to nothing to add to that side of the genre.

You will get the most enjoyment from this playing it simply to see the next bizarre set piece, and that's how I strongly suggest it be played.
  82. Aug 17, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

The bulk of the criticism this game seems to receive is due to how "dated" the gameplay feels, and how similar it is to platformer games of the previous years, but is that really a bad thing? Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will
    Alice: Madness Returns is a platforming game for platformer fans.

Fans of the first game, and of other platformers to have been released over the past several years (Psychonauts for example) will enjoy the gameplay, as it's relatively the same gameplay we've seen. You traverse through a variety of levels, killing enemies that you come across.

The main selling point of this game is the graphics and art style, which feature a dark, twisted, almost Burten-esque view of the tradition Wonderland from the original source material (not like the CGI movie of his). Each world has a drastically different theme, ranging from steampunk styled castles, to a twisted doll/toybox level.

If there's a downside to this game, it would have to be the minigames that occur in almost each level. Just about each level has their own unique minigames which you'll play several times throughout, raning from a sidescrolling arcade type shooter, to a sidecrolling platformer (akin to the old Mario games), and even a marble blast type minigame in which you control a doll's head. At first these games are quirky and interesting, providing a decent break from the main gameplay, but they become redundant and boring after a while.
  83. Aug 15, 2011
    Way too long and repetitive. People who rate this game a ten have to be out of their minds..how can you sit through such boring gameplay. You have seen everything after the first few hours. It never gets refreshing after that..Sure, some of the stages have been designed nicely but it's always the same "jump", "push a switch", "kill enemies" -> repeat ad nauseum.
  84. Aug 6, 2011
    Definitely needs, at a minimum, a major patch. Some custom keyboard controls vanish on reloads (my forward key was mapped to F and every time I die and restart, I have to remap it (even though it still displays as being mapped to F). The camera and movement controls are horrible when in tight spaces (especially in the tiny, secret rooms one finds when shrunk). Combat is clunky andDefinitely needs, at a minimum, a major patch. Some custom keyboard controls vanish on reloads (my forward key was mapped to F and every time I die and restart, I have to remap it (even though it still displays as being mapped to F). The camera and movement controls are horrible when in tight spaces (especially in the tiny, secret rooms one finds when shrunk). Combat is clunky and inconsistent and I rarely feel like I'm doing more than dodge-attack-attack-attack-attack.

The first game was among my favorites and this had (has!) the potential to get there, but it's so buggy and unfinished that until it gets a major update, it's a coaster, for me. If it weren't for the potential that I see, I'd give it a 1.
  85. Aug 4, 2011
    Cannot comment on mouse controls as I use a 360 pad but this game is good fun, I really wasn't expecting much from it, being Alice in Wonderland and me being someone narrow-minded but I really had fun playing this game. It is not the most taxing game in the world but for a 3D platformer it is fun y0.
  86. Aug 1, 2011
    The only bad thing I can complain about this game is the collectables part throughout the chapters which include all those bottles, memories, pig snouts, etc that really make anyone who plays divert his/her attention from enjoying the game and atmosphere, the story line and humor to the tedious and frustrating part of collecting everything. Of course one could easily finish the game andThe only bad thing I can complain about this game is the collectables part throughout the chapters which include all those bottles, memories, pig snouts, etc that really make anyone who plays divert his/her attention from enjoying the game and atmosphere, the story line and humor to the tedious and frustrating part of collecting everything. Of course one could easily finish the game and not worry about all this, but it's so frustrating to try and clear out all the tiny spaces and alternate routes, when you are done with a chapter and see you got 1x and 2y left to collect you feel like bashing your head on the desk. Not to say re-playing a chapter or part of a chapter will reset your autosave to that particular part. In the end this is an amazing game that would have been less frustrating if they left the collectibles part out of your face. Expand
  87. Jul 30, 2011
    As a big fan of the first Alice, I had my doubts. But Madness Returns outshines the first one in every way. There is a HUGE Psychonauts influence here (and at one point the developers pay homage in a laugh-out-loud manner). The exploration is amazing, the story is more mature and compelling, the combat is more intense than MANY of the top line FPS games out there.
  88. Jul 27, 2011
    One of the best games that i have played this year beside Witcher 2.This is a rare atmosphere which could be found in this game and you talk about game play,graphics , atmosphere or even story in every aspect this game shines in Pc version.
  89. Jul 23, 2011
    Reminds me of the good old platforming games like Crash or Croc... except here we play a psycho girl with a knife, how cool is that? I'd give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the performance issues i've expierenced.
  90. Jul 20, 2011
    Good: Really nice and varied environments, good platform based puzzles and game play, and really liked the double jump/glide. Some pretty disturbing parts and somewhat interesting story.

Bad:The negative side of this game is definitely how repetitive it feels, i did not finish it because after the water level i realized that if i kept playing it would be the same repetitive grind of almost the same thing but with different theme on the level.
    Make it shorter and cheaper or make it less repetitive.
  91. Jul 16, 2011
    um jogo lindo de se jogar, bem diferente de tudo que estamos acostumados, ótimo para se ter como um segundo jogo para fugir da mesmice de sempre. Muito bom de se jogar,.
    Parabéns pela coragem dos criadores em acreditar em um jogo tão diferente de todo
  92. Jul 10, 2011
    I Don't know how this game can have so high score?!
    First - this is the pale shadow of the idea of American MC Gee Alice. The story/dialogue writer is very INCOMPETENT and UNTALENTED. He wanted to be and to make something of this mess, but he could not. No skills.
    Boring dialogues, confused, long story without any proper turning point. As some kind of irony devs put the first Alice too,
    I Don't know how this game can have so high score?!
    Boring dialogues, confused, long story without any proper turning point.
    As some kind of irony devs put the first Alice too, so you can compare very easy this crap with a masterpiece.

Two - the gameplay is very frustrating - most of the times. Repetitive puzzles and even more repetitive enemies.
    On the tech side - this game is half-backed console port. I Don't know why we have to suffer and to be punished without proper savegame, to have some stupid checkpoints, which are extreme rare and vary far if you die. Sometimes half level is without checkpoint, which is madness if you play with keyboard and mouse. Why?! Because no one from the developers had an idea that keyboard and mouse are standard gaming equipment for PC.
    Dear developers: IF YOU WANT TO PUBLISH YOUR MISERABLE PORTS ON PC THAN MAKE THEM TO BE PLAYABLE FOR PC!!!
    There is no proper video and audio settings too. No depth of field switching off, no motion blur... and there is even no switch for anisotropy. No proper audio options - number of channels, and so on...
    This game have only 2-3 interesting levels and that's IT. If anyone out there is a fan of the AMG Alice, than DO NOT buy this port. You will ruin your memory of the firs one and maybe your nerves.
  93. Jul 6, 2011
    I've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. TheI've already rated this twice, first a 7 then a 5. I haven't finished the game, it is long, but I started enjoying myself much more after getting past Chapter 2. Chapter 3 is much better, and the start of 4 looks promising. Quite an enigma of a game this, as many other reviews will testify. The quality dips up and down but on the whole, it's a good and quite psychedelic experience. The gameplay suffers from repeating the same tasks and puzzles over and over, but when the combat gets going it really is fun - it's a shame that the flow of the game isn't consistent, as there are moments when I ask myself "Gosh, is this really worth it?". The answer, so far, is yes; every time I've been frustrated, exhausted, or just plain bored, there's always been something to make up for it around the corner. Strange game. Expand
  94. Jul 3, 2011
    This is the sequel that i've waited SO long for and it delivered with flying colors!
    Darker than ever, Stunning visuals and an Awesome story..
    i'm very satisfied and impressed.
    10years worth the wait :)
  95. Jul 2, 2011
    The game is what it is, a platformer with no real surprises from start to finish. It adds in new puzzles, and new enemies as you go along, but there's no real gameplay changes. Overall a VERY fun game, and unexpectedly challenging at times.
  96. Jul 2, 2011
    Great game, consisting of a mixture of prince of Persia warrior within and devil may cry. Games of this kind are rare, but on the PC and completely exclusive. Fans of slasher genre and "unusual" action games need to educate.
  97. Jul 1, 2011
    If there's one thing I expected with the second game, it was not to be disappointed. And it delivered. It delivered oh so well. Where do I even begin? This new iteration of Alice appears to be bigger and better in every way. There is a plethora of collectibles, bonus objectives, the so-called "memories", etc., but none of them are boring or tedious to get.There is a huge variety of clothiâ
  98. Jun 30, 2011
    There are two things to be said about Alice: Madness Returns.

There are two things to be said about Alice: Madness Returns.

One, it's the first game I was able to play top-bottom (25h and counting now) with NO crash or bugs. How many games there days come with no bugs at all? A minority have bugs that are related to hardware and drivers, not the game itself. Secondly, this game brings back the golden age of gaming where entertainment and fun where more important then raw number of fans or money made. It's platforming, it is easy, and it's majestic on it's simplicity. A fair change from the pointless shooters we all came to see as standard.

Make no mistakes, the game has it's downsizes, like some annoying aiming issues with ranged weapons (eventually you learn how to use it without pain), but the repetitiveness of level design is totally forgotten when you are eager to see the artwork, the stunning visuals, and - for your first play - get to learn more about Alice's past.

Some games are short and you play it several times to enjoy it's worth (at all), but Alice is long: instead of playing it 10 times, you will play it twice and still sum up more enjoyable memories than several other games combined.

And did I mention stunning graphics? a must-have
  99. Jun 30, 2011
    Great game. Crazy design, outstanding locations and characters, nice music.
    The only downside is lack off boss fights, but this doesn't make game looks bad.
  100. Jun 28, 2011
    It's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigateIt's an absolutely beautiful game. It starts off a little slow and "ugly" when compared to later parts of the game (don't let this put you off!) but it soon becomes a blast of a game bringing platforming elements back into the spotlight in gorgeous environments (I almost sound gay!). Not only does it look good but it plays well too with puzzles and sequences I'd have to have to navigate without my mouse. Also the dodging is super cool with the fairly fun combat thrown in to shake things up (although sometimes I feel like I cheated by stanging behind this rock pillar to prevent this huge monster from getting to me...stepping to the side every now and again to pepper him).

It has fantastic length, doesn't make itself too easy (which is probably why only an idiot will ever rate a game as "0" - we're never going to take you seriously with a score like that you silly little 8 year old) and yet it's absolute fun to play! I'll admit that it does tire one out a little (after 4 hour stretches my mind was saying "enough for now - gimme a break") however it's nice to take a break anyway to come back to this masterpiece (for the OCD friends out there you'll love this one...some objects you'll be hunting for are cleverly hidden in some of the most obvious places that we just seem to overlook).

One more thing - there are these little bits in the game where you enter a painting and play a sort of mini-game - in this mini game it's a side scrolling platformer where you need to control alice again - how refreshing! There is a similar sort of game when you head underwater but I'm not going to ruin that!
  101. Jun 16, 2011
    Alice: MR remains a mediocre game: the graphics is hardly fair, with texture problems and not satisfying details, the gameplay leads to very frequent boring spots, puzzles are wearisome and useless. Moreover, the game looks unfinished and unpolished, they shouldn't have put it on the marketplace so early. Just rent it for a couple of days, but I won't suggest you to buy it at all.

1. Oct 17, 2011
    All in all, Alice: Madness Returns delivers a good sequel. Not superlative, but not a cheap knockoff. If topsy-turvy architecture, steampunk menaces, and Victorian psychotherapy tickle your geek itch, this is a title well worth playing.
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Alice: Madness Returns is a living contradiction, an unholy union of incredible visual flair and ho-hum gameplay.
  3. PC PowerPlay
    Aug 8, 2011
    Combat is flawed, but does little to detract from the game's breathtaking depiction of lunacy. [Sept 2011, p.61]