3.4

1. Mar 29, 2013
    what is this aliens:colonial marines or human:colonial marines.i loved the first level and i thought why people hate this game so much,now i understand.aliens colonial mariens is a terrible game in the first level the graphics are good after the first level has became one of the worst game i have ever played the desing is horrible the fact that this game called aliens:colonial mariens and you are fighting humans more than half of the game or that the game ending is just horrible and easy or that the game is 7 hours on ultimate bad ass the only thing that lets me give this game a 2/10 instead a zero is the multiplayer its quite fun but its doesnt help this game to be good.aliens colonial marines=one of the top 10 worst game on angry joe list and also my list Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2013
    I'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day before release and I'm sitting there paying for the preorder through steam, thinking to myself "isn't it odd that there isn't a single actual gameplay video for this game? No teaser no nothing that is relevant to the release candidate?". Well I learned my lesson we can say that. I am not going to sum up everything I thought was wrong about this game, but I think I was one of the few that actually didn't mind the graphics. The worst part was the gameplay itself. It's an aliens game that is actually more difficult during the parts where you fight humans. Which happens roughly 50-60% of the game, or at least feels like it because it's harder. There are WAY too WY soldiers to fight in this game. The aliens in this game are laughably bad at what they do, so much so that it's not even scary to fight the aliens, not even difficult to say the least. They either run straight at you, or are a "spitter" alien (dreamt up by someone who theorized it would make a good game element in multiplayer probably) with a glowing head that you can see from a mile away. The multiplayer while it is somewhat fun, is basically just a back and forth with aliens and marines in a small call of duty arena style battle. Good luck getting into any other game modes beyond team deathmatch because everyone has already moved on from the game. If this game ended up going the multiplayer route of natural selection 2, this game could have actually been awesome. Even if all the other gaping flaws still existed, the natural selection 2 multiplayer model with an aliens theme would have been so so sick.

The worst part about this game is without a doubt the alien melee "pistol" finishers. I have never seen such a waste of animation in my entire goddamn life. Let me put it this way. In an aliens game, if you put your entire hand and pistol in an aliens mouth (and alien with molecular acid blood) and pull the trigger, you better be either pulling a half melted pistol out of it's mouth or be screaming while the bones fall off your hand for me to even START believing the character just did that. But no, your character will jam his pistol and hand into the aliens mouth, pull the trigger, and pull it out completely unscathed. I'm SHOCKED I haven't seen more complains about this, because this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The lack of realistic consequences in this game absolutely kills any potential of fear.
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Waste of money. DO NOT BUY. Has the story of a fan-fiction, repetitive boring gameplay, annoying bugs, worst A.I ever, and the multiplayer is pretty bad. Entertained me a bit, but not before that experience being ruined by a crappy bug or just getting bored.
  4. Mar 24, 2013
    save yourself the frustration and money and buy something else,having pre ordered this i was expecting a reasonable quality game,considering all the hype and pre release videos,needless to say,i was conned.
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle.
    even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality
    release should be,and this is just second rate at best.

A:CM to be avoided like the plague
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo nor the interesting level designs, the entire game is essentially half broken. Enemy AI is ludicrously dumb and glitchy, the friendly AI is almost broken with some of the worst pathfinding Ive seen in literally years. The plot itself starts off well and actually has some interesting aspects to it throughout the middle but after a few levels, it just falls to pieces, as if they ran out of time and had to add in a horrible, poor-executed climax and conclusion. For fans of the franchise, you will be hooked by its generic xeno-killing gameplay but this excitement only lasts as long as your love for using the Pulse Rifle. There's a wide range of weapons but in all honesty, you'll probably only use 2-3 of them. Thankfully, the Smart-Gun and Pulse Rifles have been well designed and executed with their familiar sounds and impact (though the recoil for the Pulse Rifle is a big ridiculous). Another positive is the inclusion of legendary guns from the second film including Vasquez's Smartgun, Hudon's Pulse Rifle, Norman's Pistol etc. The NPC's you meet are generic as hell and have the worst lines (though the voice-acting is solid). The game cutscenes are poorly rendered and overall, the engine has a 2005 look with excessive lighting and poor textures. Multiplayer-wise, it holds up well but ultimately, compared Natural Selection 2, its inferior. Co-op just feels tacted on and is fun for a few levels for at the end of the day, its probably one of the worst implemented with player warping and a lack of Co-op features. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a total letdown and my biggest disappointment of a game since Mass Effect 3 last year. They have recently released a new patch that does enhance the AI and graphics as well as a solid Bug Hunt DLC but all in all its like adding extra icing and fresh seasoning to a chocolate cake gone bad: too little, too late. Unless you're a big Aliens nut like myself, than avoid A:CM at all costs. Its Game Over all right. Game Over. Expand
  6. Mar 23, 2013

I am amazed this even got released in it's current form. There is so much hate and frustration go put in here, but it is covered in the other negative posts.

For PC, dont buy this (as of 24/03/13). Patches might make it better, cause I have such faith in Gearbox (and their Borderlands), but in current state it is such a disappointment. In all
    regards.

"2" for somewhat decent encounters and graphics once in a while (very rarely).

(PC)
  7. Mar 21, 2013
    This is NOT a game! Because games are funny and pretty but this game is terrible. Please anyone not buy this game. Sorry Gearbox, not well, so terrible.I think "hah is this a game?"
  8. Mar 18, 2013
    Thats the first and last time I preorder a game. I was never so disapointed like for this game. 49 EUR for a game, that is unfinished and comes with a really lousy graphic.
  9. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I was waiting for this game since last year. I was hoping that this game will be good because there are lots of alien games to be release this year (crysis 3, dead space). I was really disappointed and was hoping a lot more from this franchise.
  10. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is below average, no question about it. One has to wonder how to mess up a aliens game, but somehow it happened in this case. The action is boring and repetitive, the aliens are not threatening or scary, the story makes no sense and the characters are uninspired. Not mention bugs and lack polish. The game feels rushed. It manages to surprise at parts with good lighting and interesting locations from the movie. I would give this game a 3 but as a fan of the aliens franchise I bumped it up to 4. Huge disappointment. Expand
  11. Mar 15, 2013
    SEGA have made a terrible presentation again. Was not that bad nor good. Good dialogue but terrible missions. Being this game on the human scale it would be Alienated, waste of $70
  12. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Expand
  13. Mar 14, 2013
    A game that is not that good in overall. I have played at my friend's PS3 and the graphics were even worse that on PC. My deal is, why on earth is the DEMO look even nicer than the original game? Who would pay 49.99 USD for a game that looks like a 2003 one?
    As for the gameplay, it just sucks due to the amount of details not added in the original game from the demo. Weird storyline in
    overall. All thanks to their ridiculous management by handing the game to a infamous company. Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2013
    The overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say this game belongs in the $29 to $39 range.

The unlocks add an interesting twist, and the weapon mods a little flavor, but I would have preferred more story and less CoD.
  15. Mar 13, 2013
    The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.
  16. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  17. Mar 11, 2013
    Is Sega’s attempt at staying “true” to the Aliens Franchise really worth it? Reviewing Aliens: Colonial Marines

The is Back!! The Aliens franchise has been through numerous sequels and mash ups and with the most recent origin story, Prometheus, the series has only become more forgettable. With Colonial Marines, it is now Sega’s turn to take up the banner of this once glorious
    franchise. Read on to know more about their attempts to make the audience sit back and take notice.

Read More: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/is-segas-attempt-at-staying-true-to-the-aliens-franchise-really-worth-it-reviewing-aliens-colonial-marines/
  18. Mar 11, 2013
    Many of you should be ashamed for black balling this game so horribly. I've had many hours of entertaining game play out of it. and half of you never even picked it up and feel you can review it. 47 hours of enjoyment this game has given me. try and get that at your local bar for 50 bucks.
  19. Mar 9, 2013
    It is not just about outdated graphics, Gearbox presented this game as a OFFICIAL sequel to the Cameron's ALIENS movie which influenced most of the Science Fiction games and some movies for a very long time. The game itself feels like a game made in less than a year by someone who does not give a damm about the outcome. And here it is, everyone is annoyed with Gearbox, Randy Pitchford does not like to be called a liar and deletes negative feedback on his Twitter.

This game is a lie, the demo that was presented on E3 looks nowhere like the final product. It is just disapointing.

This game is garbage and it is not worth at all.
  20. Mar 8, 2013
    Hmm, poor gameplay, an intensive marketing campaign, a useless fat bastard as a CEO. yep, we have all been utterly scammed. People should post his home address on youtube. I seriously hope this scamming scumbag and his front company get everything he so richly deserves. I could go on to describe what this game has done to encourage piracy or damage the gaming industry etc etc. I will simply put it this way. To the development and publishing community. If you want to develop a revenue stream based upon sustainable growth. This is an example of how not to do it. Make sure this idiot and his company are relegated to the unemployment poverty stricken hell they so richly deserve. Expand
  21. Mar 8, 2013
    So this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, and human opposites. Who wants to shoot humans in Aliens game? Shame on you Gearbox! Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't waste time retreading the same ground everyone else and point out one simple fact, it's made by Gearbox.

Gearbox is and always has been a mediocre game developer. Their big claim to fame is borderlands which is essentially if you put world of warcrafts boring quest system into a wasteland, put it in first person mode, then tout how it has millions of guns but the fact is 1 out
    of 10,000 are actually an upgrade (repainting the same crummy pistol 5,000 times doesn't make 5,000 different guns) and finally start pimping DLC for the game before it even releases and then keep releasing more to nickel and dime your customers to death by turning a 60 dollar turd into a 100 dollar turd. They also made duke nukem forever which as we all know is a giant steaming pile of you know what and is a god awful abortion from start to finish. The best games they actually made were the brothers in arms games which aren't as terrible as those other two games but its still incredibly sterile, generic and uninspired. BIA is your basic mediocre WW2 shooter and nothing else. They have a few other games under their belt but they are all titles no one really cares about and faded into obscurity as soon as they were released. Bottom line is Gearbox is a terrible game maker and this is a terrible game.

Now for a quickie about colonial marines.

The story is nothing short of fan fiction written by someone who cannot write but still posts to their blog and believes themselves to be a great writer. It's kind of like how a young girl will take pictures of furniture sitting in a shadow in black and white and then think they are really deep and brooding for taking such artistic photographs when in fact it's just garbage. They tried to wink at the fans so hard their eyes have fallen out because of it. Everything about it feels very amateur, boring and forced. It feels more like they did a sci-fi channel original aliens movie, or something that went direct to video.

The game is buggy as you can get. I've flown out the side of things and floated high in the air stuck. I've had allies that would stick in walls. Hell I found out in section you were supposed to be stealthy starting out and I just ran past every alien and once I passed them they forgot about me and I finished a level without firing a shot. I see environmental objects get stuck in things and so on.

All the pretty and cool looking screenshots and videos I've been seeing for over a year from now weren't from the same game they released. You can easily find comparison videos showing the game released looks just awful compared to the "in game footage" they showed in the past.

Multiplayer is very sterile and pretty much what you'd expect. It's so boring in fact that multiplayer will be a ghost town in 2 months.

The game play its pretty much call of duty. It's just a mix of "it's the last stand....again" and "quick run through fast as you can" with some boring corridor stalking in between.

I could go into great depth, I could go on and on naming other things I didn't like but you can read other Amazon reviews and see exactly what I've got to say.

So really if you must play this, wait till its 10 dollars. Trust me it won't take very long before it gets there. And next time, don't pay full price for a Gearbox title.
  23. Mar 6, 2013
    I was one of the fools who pre-ordered this. When I saw the reviews on its release day, I wasn’t expecting a great game but it was worse than I imagined. Graphics from 5 years ago and gameplay from 10 years. It’s not scary, it lacks atmosphere, the weapons feel weak, the AI is atrocious, the NPCs constantly glitch and the animations of the aliens are so laughably bad at times it breaks any possible immersion into the game’s world. And why am I spending more of the game shooting men than HR Geiger’s monsters? I didn’t buy a game set in the Aliens universe to shoot at other marines. The multiplayer isn’t much better. I was hoping that it would be like a cross between Valve’s Alien Swarm and Tripwire’s Killing Floor, both tactical co-op shooters that employ strategy, different player classes, a varied range of weapons and equipment, and which require planning and strong co-operation and co-ordination between players (at least on the harder difficult settings). Instead it’s a poor imitation of the versus mode from the far superior Left 4 Dead. The maps are badly designed, the game mechanics are poor, the controls are clumsy, and there are no player classes and a very limited range of weapons. If you want to play a co-operative game set in an Aliens-like universe then I strongly recommend Alien Swarm, which is a 100% free game available on Steam.

The game feels unfinished and from what I’ve read about its disastrous six-year development it sounds like it was a rush job done in nine months in order to get rid of the project and appease publisher Sega. It’s hard to believe this is the same developer (ie Gearbox) that brought us the excellent Borderland games.
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    My opinion Very poor. The graphics (which do not make a game good) are dire here with textures that seem to hark back to 2006 if not earlier. The campaign is nonsensical with terrible AI on both sides of the player and a plot line that seems to just make things up as it goes along and fail (although promises) to provide explanation. The NPCs, you just end up hating them, especially O'Niel who is meant to be "your guy". He either does nothing and just watches you battling moronic aliens or when he does shoot he seems to have forgotten his real smart gun and brought along his nerf version utterly pointless. As for the voice acting, lets just say it's bad. I need to go back to the AI again here because it's so poor, so bad, you have no feel at all of suspense or terror. The aliens are dumb (not that you'll end up fighting them much in this game). Instead of the creepy, could come from anywhere alien, they leap into the center of the room and then barrel roll at you allowing you plenty of time to blow them away. If they actually manage to get close enough to you to hit you, they hit you once and then leap away, allowing you to blow them away what's the point?

The multiplayer as long as you're a marine you'll end up ok as the controls are easy and pretty much what you'd expect. As the alien you're completely screwed, the controls don't seem to work and nothing is fluid about it. When I try and wall climb my alien has a fit and I end up being shot for trying to play as an alien!!!

Good points They've got the sound and music right, but was that really difficult?
    - It works. It has yet to crash on me to be fair and everything seems to work the way it was meant too.
    That's it.

There was so much opportunity with this game to offer up something great, the breath new life in to the Aliens franchise, but it was squandered. What could have potentially been Gearbox's best game turned out to be something they don't even seem to want to comment on except blame other developers and Sega. I think I can speak for fans when I say I would have preferred another 6 year delay and a good game rather than this copy and paste COD shooter that contains all the horror and suspense of a jar of pickled eggs.
  25. Mar 5, 2013
    I really like the Alien films but it did not make me more fond of the game. When I play deathmatch in multiplayers it was great fun so 37 hours before uninstalling when you meet original kamapnjen after 8 hours so you can say it was worth the money.
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    An absolute joke of a game. Terrible graphics that look extremely aged. Generic COD style gameplay, with more human enemies than aliens. Terrible writing, the story and dialogue was awful. AI in this game is so bad, it seems unfinished. The multiplayer will be dead in no time, so I wouldn't bother getting this for the multiplayer. Overall, it's crap.
  27. Mar 3, 2013
    As a MASSIVE Aliens fan, I was beyond upset with this game (I literally cried because of how bad this game was). Other than the decent multiplayer, some pretty cool environments, and the awesome sounds and music in the game, they did NOTHING right! The Xenos behave oddly and tend to clip into the environment, the story is bland and boring! Not to mention the unbelievably retarded plot twist! The graphics are just an eye sore, even for me! I rarely complain about graphics but after seeing the demo, the retail version is just awful. The characters are boring and uninteresting. The A.I. of your marine companions is just down right stupid and the coop is just broken! And then we get to the WORST part of the game. You spend 2/3 of the game FIGHTING HUMANS! NOT the aliens, but the humans! Why would you put human enemies in an ALIENS GAME?!?!?! Even worse these parts feel more like a Call of Duty game than an Aliens game. Avoid this game at ALL costs! If you need an Aliens fix, go get AvP 1, 2, or 3. This game isn't worth your time. If it wasn't for the multiplayer, and even then it's broken and very unbalanced, this game would get a 0 from me. I am SO upset. Expand
  28. Mar 3, 2013
    lol I see alot of people hates aliens, fail computers, bad graphic too. just get a new computer! it's just like borderlands 2. don't balme on the games and crappy.
  29. Mar 3, 2013
    Although visually 'pretty' the, the game was let down by over-dramatics and odd musical themes. I would be looking elsewhere, probably minecraft for my next gaming fix. Thanks a lot.
  30. Mar 2, 2013
    first i would like to say im an aliens fan so i might be bias. The campaign gives you a really good look at the scenes from the movie that fans will remember well even the hole in the ground where Hudson is captured (later found cocooned on the wall) is there so top marks for paying attention to the movie. that said the plot storyline is overall lacking and not convincing and the teammate AI is clunky they don't seem to do much at all. as for the feel of the game gave me a few good frights with aliens jumping out of the dark and facehuggers jumping from shelves's kept me on the edge of my seat. On to multiplayer player hosted servers are a pain but once you get a good group of players you can play for hours with out dropouts the push to talk option should be default on this would eliminate a lot of hassles players game sound coming through their mic. that lack of alien tutorial and single player campaign make for a frustrating first few rounds but once a few upgrades are unlocked i would go as far as to say one of the most fun multiplayer games i have played. having unlocked all the upgrades the multiplayer becomes much more intense the maps are ok some favor aliens and some marines but using the right tactics you can win with both marines and aliens. all in all im giving this game a 9 because it really did give the feel that i was in the movie and to be honest the other franchise fps haven't done any thing to better this as an experience. Expand
  31. Mar 2, 2013
    I could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to be perfecting the "harlem shake". Get this, you can play with a buddy in co-op on the same screen... BUT you can not play verses with them on the same screen... WTH I am so pissed at this game I am writing this review.... I am so pissed that I want my $2 dollars and 10mins back from renting this garbage! Duke Nukem was better! Expand
  32. Mar 1, 2013
    Don't even bother. This game looked absolutely amazing in the trailer, but like so many others fell flat on it's face. It's a disgrace to mar the Aliens franchise with this BS.

First of all, the pulse rifle doesn't sound right. Secondly, it's over powered. You can tear an alien to shreds by merely showing it your weapon, yet human opponents can take several hits before they die..
    duh, ok.

Aside from that unforgivable oversight, the game is VERY boring. Level design is pish, AI is pish, no tension, no action, BORING!!! That's about as much as I'm going to say, as this title doesn't justify the time I've already wasted on it. Gearbox, srsly.
  33. Mar 1, 2013
    I literally felt obligated to warn other people to avoid this game at all cost. I never felt so cheated from a gaming company as I do now with Aliens: Colonial Marines, everything about this game is bad except the rifle modifications and the gun sounds.. thats it.. I literally forced myself to beat the campaign since I love the aliens franchise, but I thought the story was terrible. The AI in the game is flipping terrible and the graphics are super outdated. I figured for a PC.. I would be able to turn the specs up, but your left with hardly any options. Lets just say that mass effect 1 on xbox has better graphics than this game and the AI was way better also. I took screenshots of all the horrible game design mechanics.. like the companion being attacked by an alien and some how it bugs out and he just stands straight up with his arms out.. while the alien is stuck between him and it looks like the marine guy has a huge alien pen*s. I have no clue why people love the sewer part.. wasn't scary in the slightest and you're telling me the 6 foot hole it makes is to tight for it to come down and kill you while you don't have any guns?? just stupid stuff like that through out the entire game. Please avoid since Gear Box only touched the multiplayer and they outsourced it to small companies to make the single player. Expand
  34. Mar 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is unbelievable that people are rating this game a 9 or 10 it blows my mind don't listen to them im sure the majority of them pre-ordered, unfortunate they are making it worse for us all letting the industry get away with this crap, so shame on them. This is just not a very good game.

The story is just bad and i refuse to acknowledge it as cannon. For one it fails to explain major plot holes, and don't even get me started on the ending. A marine from the first movie survives??? what were these guys smoking when they came up with that. Any true alien fan would be disappointing with this game and I believe we expect a certain amount of quality to be involved when it comes to this beloved franchise. Yes expectations where high and rightfully so. The sound is great, love the sound effects like the pulse rifle and others such as aliens dying. The AI is bad and ruined the immersion for me on more than one occasion. For instance aliens standing in front of my AI squad mate for seconds attempting to kill him or navigating around him to get to me or like on most occasions my squad mate just firing his smart gun for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing. The graphics are bad which is something that caught me off guard. textures are terrible and character animation is amateur. the lighting ,one of the most important features in anything alien is mediocre which is extremely disappointing. i could go on but you get the idea just not much of a game here multilayer is better but doesn't make up for the terrible campaign.
  35. Feb 27, 2013
    They messed it up. I have never been more disapointed in a video game in my life! Several developers worked on this game, for 6 years! How do you mess up so hard? The developers had the fans trust, and they let them down! Dumb AI, useless companions, and most of the game you're fighting Weyland-Yutani. But, there are good sides. The developers nailed the authenticity part, and the multiplayer is fun enough to keep you occupied. Overall, I'd rather play AVP 3 than this. Expand
  36. Feb 26, 2013
    This game is awesome graphics and game play is fantastic We are starting to go through it a 2nd time co-op because it was so fun the 1st time Best Aliens game ever Thanks Gearbox for your years of work, It's just like being in the movie!
  37. Feb 26, 2013
    This is the first time I have beaten a $50 dollar game in less than 20 hours. Even though the game is relatively easy (even for old guys like me), I still found it to be entertaining. My biggest critiques are: (1) too much down time between fights, even though cut scenes didn't interfere too much. (2) rather dim graphics (3) number of radio calls from the normally absentee players who always seem to be waiting for the protagonist to show up (4) highly forgettable plot; I can't even remember the hero's name. Expand
  38. Feb 26, 2013
    I've been 50 hours in the game made the second walkthrough on ultimate badass and Ihave to admit that I love this game! Grafically there's a lot worse out there! Aliens Colonial Marines is pure badass Alien and Weyland-mercs shooting....I am looking forward to the DLCs and I hope the patches will get a lot of angry players to the game. It's really worth it. Big Cinema!
  39. Feb 25, 2013
    I wasted $60 of my hard earn money and 30 mins of my life.I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator, its way much better than this huge mistake that will sink the aliens franchise Expand
  40. Feb 25, 2013
    Ill firstly start with the Campaign, its a disgrace, this game i was hugely hyped up for, the E3 trailer look exactly how it should do if you were watching the films, somehow the end product is nothing at all like the E3 trailer, i understand that companies change the storyline, characters and plots before release, but they've turned it into something so poor its shockingly bad, the AI is BROKEN, it does not function half the time, and it does not move or react like a Xeno should, the marines again, are broken, O'neal (your companion) is useless, he does nothing but shoot with the most powerful gun in the galaxy which seems to do nothing, the storyline is ridiculous, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, it has no likeability about it, it takes no time to complete leaving no room for immersion, its so annoying to think that such a promising game which all aliens fans were looking forward to, is wasted and turned into something thats not only unplayable, but borderline insulting to the fans of the franchise. It's only serious saving grace (which isnt a large one) is multiplayer to some extent, the customization is great to play around with, but will eventually get tiresome because you have every customization available to you, because its not that difficult, which means this game (until DLC comes out) is virtually offering no replayability, even with the season pass, because the game has fell so badly under my expectations i honestly doubt any amount of DLC could entice me back into playing this, only if they made an ENTIRE full feature length campaign, dedicated to xeno's only, and a few weyland encounters, other than that, this game is seriously not worth its current price at (£29.99) even more on Xbox and other consoles, and yes its worse on them. A total disappointment. Expand
  41. Feb 25, 2013
    Worst game ever! Bad graphics, very very stupid AI, bugs, glitches... a disaster! I would not recommend buying it! It's a shame they even published it.
  42. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I made a account just to write the review, This is by far one of the biggest letdowns i have ever experianced, even bigger than the time you find out santa wasnt real. For those that think this is a worthy sequel to the movies are dead wrong, the story is so garbage, and even when you find out about a main character from the Aliens movie about how they got there he says and i quote "Well thats another story" a HUGE slap in the face for fans of the movie. The aliens dont feel like aliens, they run on the walls, jump off and jump right in front of your rifle making easy kills and turning them into cannon fodder, infact i found them to be so stupid i found fighting the mercs more harder, until you reach the spitters, In fact you keep fighting the mercs more than the aliens, WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO FIGHT IN A ALIENS GAME! There are some positives in the game, One particular mission called The Raven i found to be fun and scary. In this mission you have your guns taken away and must escape a Large xeno which you cannot kill in any means until you reach the end, during this you are chased deeper into the sewer where you find what became of hudson and just after that you find tons of husks of zenomorphs only to find out that some are still alive and very dangerous, you must move silently and quietly through the sewer as these zenos are blind but will explode if they find you. The new guns they have added fit right in the game as if they were always there, the sounds are all genuine and locations are movie accurate...however that does not spare it from the horrible AI from both the enemy and your Ally team mates, not to mention the horrible story which should have never left the planning room, i hate to say this but this feels like a bait and switch if you saw the 2011 demo link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xFSYsy0rk 7:50 minutes in is the best example, when you do get to what could be that point in the game it is nowhere near as epic as shown in the demo.

The only real fun you can have is with the multiplayer, lots of customisation for both marines and xenos, not to mention grusome executions when playing as zeno. However even this is not worth the ammount of money they are asking. My only wish is that they will somehow be able to drag this out of the toliet and give this the love and attention that was shown in the 2011 demo....
  43. Feb 24, 2013
    Game over, man! The Aliens franchise is as dead in gaming as it is on the big screen. Secure that sh-t, Hudson, and let's go play another game. Even the lackluster Aliens Vs. Predator circa 2010 makes Colonial Marines look like horse meat in place of beef. In fact, if you are dying to play an Aliens game, play that one instead you can probably get it relatively cheap.
  44. Feb 24, 2013
    This Game is a Disaster and a well made Scam. Nothing in this Game looks like the Gameplaydemo´s. Its horrible, but not in the way we want it. Horrible Grafiks, stupid Story and the AI is dumber as a stone.
    I wonder if this is even legal, what Gearbox done.
    Only the Weaponsounds are good. Anything else is just bad bad bad. Dont buy this piece of Trash. EGM give a 90?..Lmao..
  45. Feb 23, 2013
    Gearbox blew it here. This game is terrible. I won't spend a lot of time wasted here describing the problems this piece of garbage has but suffice to say Operation Raccoon City is WAY better, Save your money.
  46. Feb 23, 2013
    After playing you, the feeling is rare. 1) The best of the game is the sound. Guns sound like in the movie. I think it's the best atmosphere achieved (not the visuals is lousy, I got better with the sweet nothing). 2) Graphics cuestinables the time. Safan. 3) AI-sas-tro-za. The worst part of the game. 4) good gameplay and good story (although everything is open to criticism) 5) Final open (and bad?) Which gives the possibility to Gearbox to patch everything bad in this 1st part.
    6) It could have been a great game, but it's like a diamond in the rough. I miss polishing asperities (which people no longer banking). When will they understand? It would have been better to wait 6 months and now be putting a 9
  47. Feb 23, 2013
    I am a huge aliens fan, especially with the demo being shown which looked amazing, that alone made me want to get this but sadly you don't get anything that the demo shown sadly. The quality of the textures especially in some places like the truck in the 3rd level was dumbass designing 101. For gearbox to present themselves with this product is so bad and with the devs blaming each other doesn't help the franchise and IP. The AI is terrible and sadly the only time personally, I find a good AI is in ultimate badass which is the highest level. If you do play at a lower difficulty, prepare for bad AI and the characters stories and how they act are the worse and don't even expect good facial or quality character models.

Although this is negatives, there are some positives Drop in, Drop out works, Some of the levels were enjoyable especially the 5th one in but the main positive is the Modding community actually modding so fast to allow it to look better than what it is. Sadly the devs have been so unresponsive, the modders came in and actually made it look better which is a positive which is why i feel bad for console who can't get these mods....

The story which i won't go into strongly is badly written, badly executed and not good especially within many of the levels.... however there are the occasional good point throughout but its not at all AAA.

However it isn't the best, it is enjoyable to a point and playing a lot of games its not the worst... sadly that still goes to Orion: Dino Crisis and WarZ but sadly this game doesn't show the IP and Gearbox in a good way at all... and i feel bad for sega for allowing gearbox to design this Crap.

Shame on you gearbox!
    Shame on you Randy Pitchford!
  48. Feb 23, 2013
    Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, however I was surprised how fun this game was, I mean I read the reviews and didn't expect much but I bought it just because I a a huge fan of the movies. I was expecting something not so good but I ended up with a very fun game, especially if you co-op with some buddies. I can honestly say that this game is way underrated, I mean just look at COD black ops 2 which is a horrible game, possibly the worst fps I ever played and it gets what? like 80 metascore? please give me a break, that game deserves nothing over 50 and I would say ACM deserves about 70 from an objective point of view. Expand
  49. Feb 23, 2013
    Well I have to admit I started playing this game with a biased negative view on it after all the initial videos and reviews of it. But I have played it with as an objective perspective as possible.

My initial impression was actually quite mixed. For a bit, even though I knew how cut down the atmosphere and graphics were from the marketing demo we saw: I actually liked the atmosphere and
    lighting even though it didn't feel really new and awesome. It was dark, intense blinking lights, etc. It really gave me a nice sense of fear and creepyness.
    What was bad however was the presentation of the plot and the really wooden and cliché characters. Even by game standards it was just not even close to par with games that have decent dramatisation and dialogue.

From here on it goes downhill fast and stays there. The gunplay couple with the enemy and buddy AI is just complete rubbish: as bad as Brink. Just as in Brink your buddies are useless and their gun-fire is more visual effect than effective. The AI is just spawn spawn spawn and jump jump jump around: compounded by all the guns being weak pea-shooters with small mags and clumsy handling. Like I said: exactly what made Brink so bad.
    The Xenos are just really not good in terms of modeling, behaviour and danger. We have this image of the Xenos from the movies as unbelievably good ambush masters that need to be killed from atleast 10 yards away or longer if you don't wanna die. In this you just constantly shoot at them while they're in front of you in a stale "a blooga blooga boo!" stance. It reminds me of old 90s arcade games where you just had a big sprite in front of you and it didn't really animate in any way.
    So yeah instead of amazing sneaky and lightning fast xenos we really don't get anything more complex than doom3d enemies coming at you going "rawr". That's the one move they have: they spawn and climb stuff to get to about 10 yards away from you. Then they kind of crouch and wiggle their hiney followed by a silly pounce in front of you. It's like you're playing against cats in xeno costumes.
    The way they behaved in the AvP games was actually kind of good: to go way way way down in quality after all these years is just pathetic.

I'd go on but I'm already tired of pointing out all these inadequacies. It's a bad game with gameplay that in parts is as simple and archaic as doom3d and some parts at best live up to 2004 gaming standards. If I had developed this I would be ashamed of myself.
  50. Feb 22, 2013
    I was really excited for this game, it was in development for quite a while but the end product wasn't the best outcome. The AI is TERRIBLE espically your teamate AI's they always seem to get in your way. The fact that a lot of the missions involve you fighting other humans was also a HUGE let down. I mean a little bit of human skirmishes would have been alright but the amount of missions that you fight them is ridiculus, The game is pretty fun Co-op wise. P.S The boss battle takes like 2 minutes to beat. Expand
  51. Feb 22, 2013
    I think i should rate it at 4,a good point is how this game was released after being cancelled thats first one...Co-Op mode was fun,and the sound effects are really nostalgic,especially the Pulse Rifle and the ALIENS ,Multiplayer are amazing and last thing is the Environment of the game was cool.Ok,the bad point...the AI is stupidly bad,either Enemy or Ally...i don`t know but its broken in every possible way.If you try to play Soldier Level alone,Don`t.The graphics are low-detailed even on MAXED detail.The story,well its uninspiring and dissapointing at the end of the story.There are Aliens vs Predator 2010,and even better than this.This is 2013 game,its like game from 2007. If you tend to buy this game,just stay avoid this game. Expand
  52. Feb 21, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to this game for quite a while and my initial reaction to single player was massive disappointment. The AI of both enemies and friendlies leaves a lot to be desired. I'd often lose my AI team mates, or they'd get stuck or even more annoying frequently walk in the way. The team mate damage was pitiful but it's a common thing when you play single player shooters, you are supposed to be the one doing the killing. The single player levels are repetitive, aim down sights is actually fairly inaccurate and the graphics weren't at the quality they were represented in 'gameplay demos'. The story and characters were also lacking in depth, nothing really drew me into the aliens universe.

All that being said the multiplayer gameplay really shines. I enjoyed all game modes and despite a few problems in the days after release with matchup delays in AU I found it a really enjoyable experience and made the pre-order cost worth the money I paid ($35 AU on GMG).

Overall the game is ok, but all of the real aliens feel of the game for me came from the multiplayer. At the time of writing there are still a few glitches with character voices which can be mostly overlooked, often the marines call out when they are dead or just use sound bytes that aren't relevant to the activity.
  53. Feb 21, 2013
    The AI are just getting more retarded the further I play threw. all you gotta do with the boss is just keep right clicking till he is in a corner then he can't attack back. and the hunters suck as well... they take a whole clip to kill and the bullets don't really have any effect on them they just keep coming at you till they are dead and basically one swing and your done foron top of that sometimes the aliens get stuck underground and there is no way to kill them. alot of times there will be no character movement by the aliens and they are just stiff models moving around....

60% of the time the AI have aliens right next to them and don't do a damn thing because they are invincible why would the human AI care?

Some of the aliens don't actually attack you and they sit there on the ceiling moving alive and invincible...
    some of the cinematic killing scenes don't work properly 70% of the time.. really choppy or missing parts of the scene

the AI just stand in front of the auto turrets and continuously get shot lol..

i played through a very good portion of the game and they pretty much ruined it. I can't list everything wrong with the game but I'm sure you can look for yourself. I hope they start from scratch and remake this game the way its meant to be made.
  54. Feb 21, 2013
    This game really hurts because I always had the opinion of gearbox as superb developer. Well, time, a long developing process and some minor dev-studios might be the reason for this but it's still not acceptable. Big fans von the Alien-Franchise and Gearbox himself were disappointed in a big way: Aliens: Colonial Marines manages to create atmosphere and has a great soundtrack, but after all there are just to many bugs, ugly visuals and a very short campaign. Only fans of the movie might get some of the references being made but every „normal“ shooter fan should not buy this game at all.

Gearbox, you can do it better and you know that!
  55. Feb 20, 2013
    I love this game, it worth every penny I spent. Seriously people, it's not that bad. Let's look at the problem people are talking about: Graphic Sucks Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3 before, it's graphic is way worst than ACM, it's story is uninspired and makes no sense at all, but it scores 7.5 on gamespot, really? If we apply the standard people enforce on ACM, every game needs to have Crysis level graphics and big-shot writer script to be call a decent game. But since it's obviously we don't judge a game by it's graphics, than why does ACM gets so much more hate for this?

AI is stupid, no challenge unless play the hardest difficulty

I finished the game on Soldier difficulty, I don't even know where is this opinion coming from, the AI is fine in my opinion. Yes sometimes your AI teammates get stuck on some places, but it's not like it never happened to other games before, and for me it only happens 1~2 times so it didn't bothers me at all. Enemy Xenomorph are fairly intelligent, I heard people are complaining about “They only charge at you, they don't flank you or anything.” I have to say from my own experience, the xenos can move very fast and surround you very quickly if you don't have a good aim, also they pounce at you from a distance sometimes, makes you have to keep pressing E to survive, I say they are fairly challenging. Don't forget the Xenos outnumbering the player by a huge percentage, if they all play hide and seek and being very smart, marines won't have a chance! You wouldn't have a game here.

Story makes no sense, bad ending.

I partially agree with this, the game could use a better story, the ending is a bit abrupt yes, but understandable.(sort of) But even though, I don't think the story is THAT bad, not bad enough to warrant all the hate it got anyway.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the mindset you got when you play the game. If you got all hyped up by the PR, then you probably going to be very disappointed. But when I play this game I walk into it with one simple mindset

”Kill Xenomorph with Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, visit Sulaco and LV-426, experience the scenes from the movie ”

And I got everything I was paying for, so for me, this game rocks, as for people who expected more than this, unless RIDLEY SCOTT and JAMES CAMERON themselves are working on this project, you are expecting too much from Gearbox.
  56. Feb 20, 2013
    This has to be one of the worst games ever released for PC. The most honest and true review I found for this game can be found here at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/ Please do not waste your money, time or effort with this game. The AI is so terrible that the enemies/aliens will run away from you or will stand still and let you shoot them. You take more damage from enemy humans with guns than you do aliens. The level design is horrible, all you are allowed to do is open doors and hit checkpoints. You can literally play this game on the hardest settings and run from checkpoint to checkpoint barely killing anything. This does not feel anything like ALIENS.

The graphics are circa 2005 and use Direct X 9, that's right... the game is very bright, and does not convey any sense of visual moodiness to it, at no point is there anything to shock or awe over as far as eye candy goes.

Factor in that there are terrible bugs found throughout the game, no dedicated servers for a bare bones multiplayer mode and you can easily tell hands down that this is probably going to win WORST GAME OF THE YEAR 2013. But hey dont take my word for it, Youtube a few videos for yourself and see the vast majority of other critics reviews. A lot of good people got fleeced when they bought this game, dont be one of them.
  57. Feb 20, 2013
    A major motion-picture-based shooter-on-rails? What could possibly go horribly, disappointingly, you-lied-to-me-wrong? Everything! I guess it makes sense why Randy Pitchford's voiceover in the teaser trailers (showing things that are nowhere near the final game) sounds like one of those pseudo-rapist characters from the websites where girls show up for a calendar shoot and are tricked into doing porn. Expand
  58. rps
    Feb 20, 2013
    After playing the game 40 hours, and having played video games for many years, I have to conclude the professional reviewers were either being paid to trash this game by another publisher, expectations too high, or just burned out from their job of playing games all the time. From this day forward I will take anything they say with a grain of salt. I would have missed a really fun and very "Aliens" experience if I listened to them. As for the people who give it zero's etc., the days of pirating new titles is over, get used to it. If your a fan of Aliens, don't miss this game. Expand
  59. Feb 20, 2013
    Perhaps not a game for everyone as it seems, but I enjoy it a lot, I should add that I'm playing mostly in co-op mode with friends. The game runs smooth on my PC and I haven't encountered any major problems, the only thing I've noticed is some minor lag in certain parts of the game. If you're expecting something like COD or BF I think you might be disappointed with this game, but if you're into old school co-op shooters this game has many hours of fun to offer. Expand
  60. Feb 20, 2013
    I paid 25 quid for this game, and I can't play it. I looked all over the web and could not find a fix for the problem I'm having, the game literally cannot be played on my advanced gaming computer. I can't get a refund either. Well done gearbox, well done!
  61. Feb 20, 2013
    Everything has already been said, but i wanted to add my vote onto the negative pile. For me the problem here is context. My group of friends buy and play a lot of games online as a way of keeping in touch. We often buy games we think arent 'great' e.g. Payday, i bought 4 passes for £12. We played it for a bit then moved on with the overall feeling "We had got great value for a fairly solid game". But, if you put a game into production for 6 years and leak demo's that are misleading. Then try and sell the half baked outcome for top coin when the game graphics/gameplay/AI and mechanics are no better than budget titles like Payday. It makes me mad. I doubt i will ever pre-order another game again. The only silver lining is that this game fails so greatly that there is still a gap in the market for a proper Aliens game. Expand
  62. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is great over steam 4 player co-op campaign DO NOT play this game solo.. it is 100% intended for co-op DO Turn up the difficulty Play hard, play in a group or go home.. fun story, graphics are a bit old but good enough for me for some reason people expected a doom stlye sneaker,, this is ALiens not ALien this is a Marine gun ho shootem up, not a sneaker atmopheric thriller ACTION! and lost of ammunition is the call of the day

the weapons where pretty poor.. shotgun and pulse rifle is all you need
    this is wont win game of the year, but in a group.. Alot of fun
  63. Feb 19, 2013
    Unless they redo all the AI and Fix the terrible story-line, i cant see this as being worth 40 dollars. I strongly urge you to wait and see if the price goes down to at least 20-30$, and even then not go out of your way to buy it.A huge disappointment to all of the aliens fans.
  64. Feb 19, 2013
    Though Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points of nostalgia.

Yes, you have the Xenomorphs and the queen and every other iconic creature from the Alien movies, such as Facehuggers, but Xenomorphs aren’t the only threat in this game. There is also the Weyland Utani, and actually, the Weyland Utani play a huge role in the game, as well as adding some variety to the gameplay so that you’re not just fighting through hordes of Xenos. Easter Eggs, like Hicks’ shotgun, are sprinkled throughout the campaign and add a great deal of nostalgia, which I found to be quite entertaining. Sadly though, the story seems to end abruptly and seems unfinished, and considering the game was delayed that’s horrifyingly surprising.

The gameplay is fast paced, with occasional tasks taking a little longer than most, e.g. the dreaded “fetch quests”. AI are horribly programmed, with teammates blowing up explosive barrels every once in a while and setting you back to the last checkpoint, and checkpoints aren’t very abundant. Oh, and enemy AI can shoot through walls, which is super fun! (If you couldn’t tell, that was sarcasm.) Also, I played the game on Normal difficulty and the enemies proved to be semi-difficult at times, so I’d imagine they’re pretty hard on the highest difficulty. The multiplayer is also pretty fun, especially playing as the Xenos, they have some pretty cool abilities. You can also level up and customize your weapons and loadouts in multiplayer which allows for some variety. The multiplayer includes 4 modes: TDM, Extermination, Escape and Survivor which can be played on 9 maps.

“They’re coming outta the goddamn walls.” Hudson

The games models, textures and animations are way behind the times. The cinematics are about 5 years behind and don’t seem to sync up very well, nor do they transition smoothly. While the rest of the game pretty much looks like it should have come out in 2008, oh wait, that’s when they announced the delay the first time… Although, I’d say the lighting is quite nice, and with the brightness turned down it’s a little startling when you’re pounced on by an unexpected Xeno.

Ahh, the sound effects, they’re awesome. The sound of the pulse rifle has got to be one of my favorite sound effects in any game and the Xeno hiss is up there with the Predator click as one of the scariest sounds of all time. The rest of the sounds though weren’t very memorable, there’s nothing really special about them. The dialog was a bit weak especially outside of the cutscenes. But I did find the stories that Audio Logs tell to be interesting, especially the one about Newt’s family.

“They mostly come at night… mostly.” Newt

This game has little to no replay value when it comes to campaign, but multiplayer can be played for a while. With tons of leveling and customizing to do, the multiplayer rivals that of current games, especially the garbage that is MW3.

So, with a seemingly unfinished story, not so cutting-edge graphics by any means, and a laughably easy last mission it doesn’t have much of a chance. But, for a fan of the Alien franchise, this is one of the more authentic games out there. The multiplayer redeems the game itself by offering a Left 4 Dead-like experience, with Marines vs. Xenomorphs. And, the nostalgia was enough to make me buy the game. Overall, it was a fun game, but nothing amazing.

Game over, man!
  65. Feb 19, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It's the worst game in terms of gameplay that I've played in the last several years. If you're going to buy this game, wait a few months for it to plummet in price. I'm sure Valve will be selling it for pennies on the dollar soon enough. I've waited for this game for years, preordered based on the demos, and was really looking forward to it. What was released was a subpar shooter, with below average graphics and terrible netcode. The horror aspect? It really struck me as I realized my friends and I had spend $150 on this game.

I am so irritated about the 3 hours of gameplay in this game and the awful multiplayer that I'm not going to be buying either Gearbox or Sony for a while.
  66. Feb 19, 2013
    Pros: You get to shoot Aliens. (That's the only pro of the entire game) Cons: -Split screen is horizontal only -Co op doesn't allow 2nd person to save their own progress and character for those playing together at home. -Pathing is horrible for mobs AI team mates, they tend to get stuck -AI is poorly developed and doesn't offer challanges -Graphics were not as advertised and seem very dated like 6+ years -System was supposed to be built off "experience" idea. However Experience upgrades are limited and not very imaginative. You get a shot gun, now you have a shotgun with a scope...
    -mobs are cookie cutter and even human opponents tend to all look the same.
    -The tracker pinging for aliens when you aren't looking at it isn't very realistic. Being surprised would be nice, isn't that what all of the movies are about?
    -A map would come in handy.
    -Game is dark and turning up brightness doesn't help at all.

Don't buy this game, and be wary of pre ordering Gearbox games going forward.
  67. Feb 19, 2013
    An enjoyable game for fans of the earlier Alien movies (especially the 2nd one), and while graphics are not groundbreaking they are still good enough to give you that creepy feeling of being on LV-426, except for maybe a few textures here and there that could use some polishing, I am a little disappointed that they didn't use DX11 but I can live with that. I've played about 15 hours of the game and still haven't experienced any crash or freeze up, sometimes there can be a little lag when going through a door opening into another room but that is minor stuff that easily can be patched. While the single player part is enjoyable I have to say that the most fun in this game is without a doubt the co-op campaign. People complain a lot about the AI and sure they are no Einsteins but I have seen far worse in other games, and also I'm sure they can be patched to perform better as well Expand
  68. Feb 19, 2013
    It is official, Gearbox has taken up 3drealms's bad habits. over-hyping, overselling, and didn't deliver at the end. hell, the demo that they showed was a complete fabrication which i think it should be illegal. If ACM only took 2 years to make it will be understandable for all the poor graphics, coding, crappy game play ect. but this "game" took 6 years to make?...like i said 3Drealms bad habits. only recommended for hard hard fans of aliens, or just wait for the $5 special the steam, ether way. I, personally will never buy a Gearbox game as long as i live. *taking my money else were* Expand
  69. Feb 18, 2013
    Most of these reviews are garbage because 90% have no clue what actually happened. I've played them from day one even after the graphic fixes this game is by far underrated
  70. Feb 18, 2013
    Visuals are weak, getting better on LV-426, but still bad. It's not about the graphics, it's the atmosphere. And it doesn't feel like an Aliens related game at all. Aliens are weak and they seem to be missing ragdoll physics whatsoever. They get stuck inside walls and they melt like if they were vampires. Stormtroopers attack was a surprise, silencers on pulse rifles were unnecessary.
    Overall it's not a total disaster, the intro sequence was good, Henriksen and Biehn presence was also a good sign, but it all ended before it started. P.S. A good game for 10-15$.
  71. Feb 18, 2013
    An average FPS, all the fun is due to the fact that you can enjoy the nice working radar and the good old pulse rifle.
    If you close your eyes you will feel like you're really into one of the Alien movies, but when reopening them you will be really disappointed by the stupid A.I., the poor storytelling and the bad presentation.
    Gameplay would be fun if not affected by all those bugs, the
    enemies act like they're animals, the strategy that you expect from the creatures just does not exist in this game, the human enemies will randomly leave covering position and your fellow soldiers are more a pain in the ass than an aid (the worst thing is that most of the issues could be corrected by a proper debug phase).
    Graphics are 6.5/10, but the use of lights and shadows is light years far from the 1977 masterpiece and some of textures are so much low res for a 2013 game.
    Sound is good in complex, but some audio effects are missing and the music is simply trivial.
    The weapons upgrade system is nice and the unlockable add-ons are well distributed.
    In conclusion, if you are an Alien fan that can close one eye (or two), you will enjoy shooting some xenomorphs.
    Otherwise just run away without looking back.
  72. Feb 18, 2013
    What can I say? Gearhoax studio, I mean, Gearbox studio and Sega took a crap and voila! ACM was born! It took them 6 years and this is the turd we get. Just dig around the net and you'll see why nearly 95% of all reviews say it's absolute garbage. Screw you Randy Pitchford (and Sega), screw you!
  73. Feb 18, 2013
    After years of anticipated waiting I was totally let down and should have burned my 50 dollars that would have provided me more enjoyment and entertainment for my dollar.
    This game is chock full of bugs, clipping issues, and stuck enemies. Voice cues will trigger after you’ve already cleared a room. It’s so bad that I was instructed to “cover the right flank” when there was nothing but a
    wall to my right. In larger arena-style areas, it isn’t uncommon to wonder why nothing else is happening, only to find a bad guy inanimately stuck next to a box just waiting to be killed.
    At least your sonar-style motion tracker will be useful in finding those stuck guys because it’s pointless otherwise. You’ll use it before opening a door, not see anything of concern, then enter and get attacked anyway. But it doesn’t really matter because the xenomorphs are fragile idiots. Their AI is on par with the standard Infected from Left 4 Dead, but now they get to climb on walls. Xenomorphs conveniently ignore any squadmates nearby and come right at you. Sometimes they’ll crawl on the ground, but most of the time I was shooting at awkward geriatric people that should be in nursing homes with walkers.
  74. Feb 18, 2013
    Not wanting to discuss plot for spoiler reasons, I'll stick to mentioning awful AI, poor level design, baffling plot choices (single player), horrific balance (multiplayer, spitters ftw) and some of the worst scripting and voice acting I've heard, ever.
    The game isn't worth your time, Gearbox should be ashamed.
  75. Feb 18, 2013
    Co-op with friends and plenty, plenty of booze and this becomes a very enjoyable comedy experience!! Highly recommended! But only if you have friends and ample amounts of alcohol! Caution: do not try sober.
  76. Feb 18, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines for PC is such a fraud. This is is clearly not worth 50 euros for many reasons. The most important reason is that it is a boring game. Yes, the sets are cool in some way, but not for a 2013 game, where it should be much more creative and engaging. The single player campaign is so boring and so boring that I stopped playing after 1 hour, more or less. Obviously I did not buy the game. The internet must serve for something in that regard. Whenever I like a game, I sure buy it, but this time I am not going to. Even if this game cost 20 euros, I would not buy it. I would give 10 euros for it, and that is a lot of money for this game. I feel revolted to see that this game has a price of 49.99 euros when it is obviously worth no more than 10 euros. I know the company in charge of production took years to build it, but that is not how the game should get its worth from. First the producers must have real players test it and give their sentence about price and other things, and I am sure they did that, so why they are charging so much more? I tell you why, because when clients see a game for a good and high price, they are more likely to buy it and not research about it, so the company makes a lot of money in the first week, and in the next ones, when the heat is off, when all criticizers publish their critics, clients start realizing the game is BS. Expand
  77. Feb 17, 2013
    "No. No. No. No. Gearbox, what are you doing?" Sums this game up nicely.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines (read Aliens: Colonial Morons) is the perfect example of why I don't /ever/ pre-order games. The Good:
    + I've been told... Badgered by others insisting that the multilayer is passable, It's playable and competitive. So despite my personal feelings that the Multilayer portion of a game that
    has a singleplayer campaign should ever be a centre-point of a review, I'll let this one slide.
    The Bad:
    - Dreadful attempt at atmosphere. I can tell this game tries so hard to be something it isn't... As an Aliens game, expectation dictates that the atmosphere has to be on par with an expertly directed horror film. With an enemy that surpasses our little human character in almost every attribute- I want to feel hunted and isolated in an almost hopeless situation, fighting for my very survival. Any attempt at the before-mentioned feeling is destroyed the moment one of your companions opens their mouth... and then further trashed when you move through the campaign mowing down hundreds of the Aliens as if they were made from toilet tissue. The AI, frankly, sucks. My Graduate games programming project had better Artificial intelligence than this. You constantly see the human characters getting stuck, taking insane path finding routes. This may just be me however as I have developed an eye for such things.
    - The visuals I am not one to criticise a game based on it's graphical quality. However, I expect a AAA, multi-million Dollar budgeted game to provide a certain degree of graphical quality especially if the marketing material boasts scenes that show off lighting and rendering techniques used by the latest DX11 technologies. But this is a small point... ugly textures and ugly lighting doesn't kill a game but it does not help it ether.
    - The Feel of the gameplay is off. I can't accurately articulate it because it's not really something tangible, but when I play a shooter, I expect the game to provide feedback in a certain way, Aliens: CM, does not provide this feeling.
    To summarize I am disappointed that 7 years of development couldn't produce something better. But, I have a feeling that this suffered from the same problems as Duke Nukem: Forever in that it has been outsourced to so many companies and been messed about with so much over the past 7 years The end result maintains no real identity It's a game that consists of poorly mashed together bits from all kinds of different places and it is a real shame... A perfect example of brilliant marketing on Sega's part to sell a bad game so well though.
  78. Feb 17, 2013
    As a huge fan of the movies I've waited years to play a game where I can run around on LV426 with my favourite characters. The campaign was fun, the whole game is basically Call of Duty meets Aliens, nothing mind blowing or eye watering but decent. (And unlike CoD the the price wasn't £49.99) The multi player is great fun. I have no clue why this game is getting such a low rating, I found one haven't had any issues with bugs, crashes but I have seen the AI do some stupid stuff. However, I'm having a blast with it. I would probably give this game 10 out of 10 just for letting me live out my dream but that would be biased. So a solid 8 from me. Expand
  79. Feb 17, 2013
    Thus far i've put around 7 hours into this game and like many others i'm very disappointed. I don't think it deserves all of the 1s and zeros it has here but it is definitely not worth the 50 dollars I spent. Imo this is at best a 30 dollar title IF you're a diehard fan of the franchise. The AI is obviously its biggest flaw, some human enemies will literally stand there indefinitely while I stare at them and the xenos don't do a whole lot other than charge directly at you or in the case of the spitters come to a dead stop while spitting long enough for you to kill them without any challenge. The graphics aren't as bad as some people are saying, they are just dated. They would stand out in 2009 probably. On the plus side I think it has some of the best sound effects in recent memory, at least with a 7.1 headset on. I also actually like the story as well as the pacing although I wish they'd have added more areas where you can't fire or rely on your weapons. This game isn't worth $50 and it may be Gearbox's lowest point thus far, but it doesn't deserve a 1 or 0, I think that is just spite and some people default to those scores automatically without thinking about it or in some cases without even playing the game they are reviewing. Expand
  80. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Este juego te lo venden como si fuera una obra de arte, y cuando lo vas a jugar parece un juego en estado Alpha, no llega a ser ni una beta... Pesima calidad en todos sus sentidos. 1/10 Expand
  81. Feb 16, 2013
    "100% gameplay" demo shown in E3 expo was a lie. Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo
    Other than that Poor AI, Jarring atmosphere and cliche story gives it a 4
  82. Feb 16, 2013
    The game is crap. - Kicking in steel doors, diving through the of a marine dropship that an Alien Queen cant even get through - Aliens that either rush right at you or stand motionless - Aliens that rush up to you, strike once, then idle - Weyland Yutani mercenaries by the boatload. Seriously, forget the Aliens. This game is about killing people. - Acid Blood doesn't hurt - Unless it's specifically chosen as a weapon, in which case it mystically hurts
    - Remember the first sign Alien 4: Resurrection would suck? The alien in a glass cage that lets you see every orifice? This game does it too! WITH EVERY VARIANT, including the ones not yet seen.
    - Xeno variants that couldn't have possibly been bred. What? Why are they spitting acid? How did a facehugger impregnate a rhinoceros?!
    - Graphics suck, unlike the graphics they sold preorders on.
    - Duke Nukem Forever made an Aliens game worse. I mean are you for ****ing real?
    - Fire extinguishers react to your fire. By disappearing.
    - a chestburster farm in a lab... with 0 containment for the chestbursters. What do you do with xeno infested humans? Mercy kill. Nope, not these ones. They're made of iron.
    - Every single ongoing Weyland experiment fails catastrophically as soon as you look at it.
    - Oh a captive queen. How quaint. Oh look, she suddenly figured out how to break free. She's smashing the glass to get at me! Uh oh, she broke through the glass! Phew, she gave up.
    - Aliens for the most part cannot transition surfaces while climbing. No clue why. If you want to get onto the ceiling, you need an app for that. Oh sorry, I meant a 'perk'.
    - controls randomly invert when climbing as an alien. Yes, ALL of them. Because wall movement wasn't hard enough.
    - Xeno pounces have a wonderful 5% chance of failing, leaving your lurker pinning down a marine until either the match ends or another player comes along and either kills you or steals your kill.
    - Claymore mines can be dropped instantly, and while in the midst of another animation. Lurker just pinned you and about to chew off your face? No problem. RETROACTIVE CLAYMORE!
    - You can also sit on your claymores, because strangely they just don't hurt humies.
    - Challenge order. Bizarre. Three challenge types, one of each on offer at any given time. Usually the hardest ones straight at the beginning.
    - There's a mission where PMC's and Weyland techs run from your team despite superior numbers. They escape through doors in the side of the ship. Looking out a window you notice they are doors directly to space.
    - Super weapon backpack. You have access to something like 16 weapons and 4 tacticals and thousands of rounds plus secondary rounds on you at all times. D&D did it first!
    - There are 9 multiplayer maps split between 4 game modes. On many of the maps, you could smell an opponents fart on the opposite end.
    - Mapping orbs! "Look, we can Prometheus, too!" exclaims Randy Prichford with a piggish squeal. "ugh" exclaims you, whose quite sick of the half-assed 'nods' without any obvious love for the material.
    - PRE RENDERED cut scenes! WOW! Why did developers stop doing this? I mean, the gamer was never immersed in the first place so you don't have to worry about that jarring transition, the 12 frames per second of the video is TOTALLY unnoticeable if you pack in enough ACTION!!!, and frankly, We miss running a server-farm for weeks to render this junk.

Ok. I'm out of obvious things. You guys take it from here.
  83. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that had a lot of potential, but ended up terribly. Blame the casual players! This game was supposed to be an awesome survival experience, but to make the game more accessible to a larger public, the incompetent directors of Sega and Gearbox decided to make it a Call of Duty clone. You don't even need to use the motion tracker one single moment on the entire campaign even on the hardest difficulty, because no enemy will ever spawn behind you. But if you can go through the festival of bugs, and the awful ending, you will able to enjoy a somewhat fun shooter with an actually good soundtrack. Expand
  84. Feb 16, 2013
    This is one of the worst first person shooters I have ever played its not the worst Gearbox's duke nuken forever takes that title but only just. Both titles are utter crap and gearbox should give up now. I will nerv buy another gearbox title again.
  85. Feb 16, 2013
    PC Version. Graphics looks much much better than console version. Sometimes there are very nice lighting and shadows. Story is good, First time since 1986 we can play proper story in this franchise, Most of all I like multiplayer It is much better than AVP2010, it has nice dynamic and tension, many upgrades and other combination stuff, you can build your own soldier and xenomorph, and it is much better than Natural Selection 2 also, not boring( to me NS2 became boring very soon), it has nice graphics, many ways to play it, in the begining you must uprade your xenos to make them stronger, because they are rather weak on first level. Well if you are fan of Aliens and also wanna play better multiplayer than AVP2010 and Natural Selection 2. This is the game for you. Expand
  86. Feb 16, 2013
    Cannot understand horrible reviews all over the place 2-3 h into the campaign and a couple of missions done on coop multiplayer. so far had a good time with the game.
    Biggest issue for me is the alien animation movement. but seriously: this game does well by it*s standards. Atmosphere is decent and gameplay solid. Aliens without cheesy story? not happened once for any of the movies.
    before hating this game take a good look at what happened to the franchise in the last 15 years this game is one of the 2 good things happening out there.

Take a look for yourself and if the 2nd Aliens installment was giving you anything you cannot be completely wrong here.
  87. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, this was a fun game. In fact, I'm going to play it a second time on a harder difficulty because I enjoyed it so much. I do have a few "issues" with the game though... Firstly the default PC controls are poorly assigned... Push "V" for melee combat... seriously!? Melee is meant to be quick and swift, I had to constantly look down at my keyboard to find the "V" key when an alien pounced on me. Also, making "F" key the alternate fire key... seriously!? I feel like the mouse should handle all the weapon controls. Primary fire is left click, secondary fire can be right-click, or middle-click. Not pushing "F" on the keyboard... That's like having to reach down and push a button on your Hip to make your gun launch a grenade. Just doesn't make sense... So anyways, I reassigned it so that left-click was primary-fire, middle-click was alt-fire, right click was melee-attack, "F" was flashlight. The game was much better from that point on.

The next thing I noticed was a somewhat buggy AI... From time to time, I would see enemies running into walls or not moving at all while I shoot them. The "co-op" AI was also somewhat dumb, just standing getting shot in many cases... But I can look past some of it... Being a developer myself, I understand that building a good AI is super difficult.

Lastly, the end Boss battle... SPOILER ALERT... The end boss battle was LAME! You run around, push 5 buttons, and its over... Never using any weapons... Seriously? All these weapons i've been upgrading, and customizing, and I dont get to use any of them for the final battle? Not even a couple times? Nope... You literally run around a room, avoiding the queen, while you push 5 buttons, that eventually eject her from the ship... Pretty lame... You dont even get to use the Power Loader suit. In fact, you only get to use the Power Loader suit ONCE in the entire game... Why go through all the effort to have the Power Loader when you only use it once... and its a crappy battle when you do use it... I feel like they could have done more with the Power Loader and the Final Battle. At least involved using your weapons somehow.
  88. Feb 16, 2013
    I looked forward to this game for quite a long time. As cliche as it is, I was a huge fan of Aliens since I was a kid, and I've always thought it would be great to have a quality game set in the universe in which you get to assume the role of a Colonial Marine. Anyways, this game really does nothing for the Aliens universe. The story has a lot of flaws. If this weren't hyped a canonical sequel to a movie I held so dear, I probably wouldn't care. I didn't care at all about any of the AvP stories, I just enjoyed the games for their multiplayer game play. But again, this game was advertized and hyped as being some awesome canonical sequel but falls completely flat...

The fact that the USCM and Weyland-Yutani Corporation "go to war" is ridiculous, as the company essentially owns the Marine Corp (as well as everything else in the galaxy) in the first place. I guess they just needed an excuse to have you shooting at other people alongside the aliens. The campaign took me only roughly 6-8 hours to complete on "Hardened" difficulty, and had one of the worst endings I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing in a video game. So much for the epic canonical sequel...

The multiplayer on the other hand, is pretty fun. If you really like the idea of running around shooting Giger aliens and/or hunting marines (without predators of course), then you'll probably enjoy that aspect of the game. Despite its entertainment value, it does need some work as sometimes the aliens feel very clunky despite their speed, strength, and maneuverability. Furthermore, it also seems like an alien can charge directly at you, and manage to kill you somehow despite the fact that you've been spraying it with an automatic weapon for its entire charge. Then again, maybe I just suck at the game ;)

All in all, I'd give the single player a 5/10. It's story, AI, and boss fights are absolute garbage (IN MY OPINION), BUT they do recreate with an intense attention to detail many of the areas from the Aliens films. The operations center is pretty much in the exact same shape the marines from the movie left it in. The floor panel that Hudson was pulled through can be seen exactly where it happened in the movie. The smart gun ammo counters are still reading "00" and "04," the exact amount of ammo remaining in them from the director's cut of the film. The ventilation shaft the survivors escaped through can be found with the vent lying next to the wall. Although I did notice after watching the E3 demo that although in the demo the door that had been sealed and subsequently breached by the aliens was busted open, in the released product the door was still sealed shut, even though aliens had bashed through it in the film. This is an absolutely trivial detail, however, and certainly does not detract from the game in any way. They also recreated the derelict space craft from the first movie nicely, allowing the player to encounter the space jockey (engineer) in its seat with its chest burst open. Finally, I definitely think they did a great job of recreating the sound effects of the weapons from the film. The pulse rifle also had a truly authentic feel as it actually...pulsed...unlike the weapon's portrayal in AvP and previous Aliens titles.

Multiplayer, since AI does not control the aliens, is significantly better. I'd give it a 7/10. It's entertaining, and if you like the Aliens universe it will only add to the fun. Hopefully they add new game types, new maps, and various tweaks without charging for all of it...but that probably won't happen.

I am disappointed overall because I expected more from the title, but I think most reviews are extremely harsh and tend to ignore any and all of the good aspects of the game. That, or they acknowledge them but still give the game a 1/10.
  89. Feb 16, 2013
    One of the weakest shooters in recent memory. I have a hard time thinking of anything good to say about this game. In spite of how archaic the visuals are (easily below offerings that are nearly a decade old, such as Doom 3, Far Cry and Half-Life 2 to name a few), graphics are far from the biggest problem with this game. Anemic, popgun-like shooting, bland levels, lack of challenge and a plethora of bugs are far more pressing concerns. I would not recommend this title, not even to hardcore fans of the Aliens franchise. There's nothing to see here, even as pure fanservice it falls flat. It's not worth enduring Colonial Marines' below average gameplay to experience this "canon" continuation of the series, as you'll probably also end up disappointed by the retcons and sophomoric writing.

Strong candidate for worst game of 2013 and we're only in February.
  90. Feb 16, 2013
    This is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time. From big to small it fails on almost every level. The immersion promised in the pre-release video was stripped leaving behind the husk of a generic shooter. The dialog is awful with its forced, rehashed lines from Aliens. The corny try-hard attempt to recreate the attitude of the characters from the movie. A boring (DLC READY! :D) story with a... well... I would've called it a cliffhanger ending but truth be told I simply don't care. The game play offers virtually nothing to offset any of the above. It's functional, usually, but that's where the praise ends. The alien AI feels like it was written by some poor intern that doesn't even like FPS games. It's pretty standard copy/paste game play beyond that. With the gratuitous weapon unlocks and totally linear map design.

The worst offenders by far are the lifeless boring levels. The fact they took the source material of aliens and turned it into this is upsetting, if not flat out depressing. The animations are laughable (power loader anyone?) and the textures would make Ray Charles weep. The lighting? Mods to "help fix" the lightning were out in less than 24 hours. At least Duke Nukem Forever won't be lonely at the bottom of the barrel.
  91. Feb 16, 2013
    I read the reviews and when my pre-order arrived late on the 12th I hemmed hawed about just going to Best Buy to return, but I love ALIENS!!! So what the heck...well so far so good, played the first few missions, the environment looks real, the story isn't the worst I've seen in a video game and frankly complaints like 'there aren't enough weapons' sounds like an American rant...yes, yes, more weapons. Bottom line if you like the Aliens universe this should appeal to you. It's no Bioshock but it isn't Duke Nukem either. Expand
  92. Feb 16, 2013
    There is a lot of controversy surrounding this game most notably the blatant false advertising but let me just focus on the game itself here. Visuals and auditory: The game drags you through poorly modeled drab futuristic enviroments where the 3d assets are re-used far too often. Walking through corridors, corridors and more corridors you'll encounter roughly four types of enemies whose animations were apparently motion captured by a frozen corpse tied up with rubber strings. The textures that cover everything look like something I imagine artists send to each other as a practical joke. Lighting and shadows, probably the most important part of an ALIENS game is sloppily put together. Gearbox tried to sprinkle recognizable objects from the movies into the game in order to distract you from how god awful the game looks but that is a bit like drawing a smiley face on a fist that punched you in the face, it is still going to hurt.

Meanwhile in the audio department we have mediocre voice acting, it is not going to draw you into the game any more than the graphics but perhaps that is a good thing. The iconic tension building motion tracker is in the game but only as a curiosity for movie fans since it servers no purpose whatsoever gameplay wise. Music is the only thing I consider somewhat decent even though there are very few compositions and they are re-used too often. Again, sound design is one of your greatest tools when you are designing a game based on Aliens but the creators miss the mark completely.

Gameplay: When you think of the movie aliens do you conjure up images of pants fudging terror and struggling to survive or do you think of a handful of marines shooting for hours on end at corporate goons? The designers of this game seem to have thought of the latter since all you do is run through narrow corridors spraying everything you see with your pick of fast shooting pulse rifle, normal shooting pulse rifle or slow shooting pulse rifle. At the opportunities where the developers could have differentiated themselves from the rest of the flock in the putrid sea of brainless military shooters, stuff like planting turret defences or welding bulkheads shut they just put a scripted event where the maximum amount of player interaction is Hold E button. It feels as if the developers worked hard to puncture any feel of suspense the game might build up by accident so they added immortal AI teammates and flashing RANK UP exclamations (because nowadays the only way you'll get a sense of accomplishment is through gaining points in an arbitrary rank ladder). Longevity: The campaign will at the very highest of difficulty go on for about 5-6 hours and considering how easy the game is I doubt it is even possible to die at normal setting. Anyway you'll unlock all the additional attachments and pointless twaddle about halfway through the story so there is no incentive to replay it. The multiplayer is another peer2peer that I can't imagine anyone will still be playing two months from now. Conclusion: When you make a game based on a specific franchise your customers expect you to at the very least capture a sliver of the mood presented in the source material. Gearbox Interactive is either made up by a bunch of meatheads that don't understand the movies or they just farted out a failed abortion of a game to make a few quick bucks, avoid a lawsuit from Sega and urinate on alien fans. They failed miserably on every single level when making Aliens colonial marines and it is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    Coming from an Alien/Predator fan, this game is a complete disappointment. I waited 5 years for a game that makes DNF look like a masterpiece. I had to REALLY force myself to finish the campaign. What makes this game so bad, you ask?

1- The AI. That damn AI...the worst I have EVER seen. Enemies can't do anything but run straight at you, your comrades will shoot walls in an (obviously
    futile) attempt to hit an enemy: they can't "see" the obstacle! Of course they will shoot through you as well. Sometimes enemies stand still in the middle of a room. Even at the highest difficulty the bad guys are just too stupid and that results in the game being extremely easy.
    2- The plot makes no sense, the character's reactions are completely off and you're left wondering whether the authors behind this were 5 years old fans. It's that stupid. Oh, the ending makes you want to punch in the face whoever wrote this garbage.
    3- No atmosphere. I remember the old AVP1/AVP2. Those games were terrifying when playing the Marine campaign. In Colonial Marines you feel nothing...well sometimes you get angry over how stupid everything is. It's that boring.

These are just the three main issues with the game, but there's a lot more, for example the bad animations and the mediocre (at best) graphics but that's not really something I look at when judging a videogame. There are a few good things, though, like the guns (they sound really nice), one of the levels (although it doesn't last long) and the MP, which isn't horrible.

Overall, this game is extremely bad, and may very well be the worst game I have ever played. If you're thinking "I'll try it anyway because I'm a fan of the Alien Saga" then listen to me and DON'T do it. You'll be even more disappointed.
  94. Feb 16, 2013
    Poor, dated visuals for this game isn't even half the problem, It has choppy game play that feels broken for the most part, unimaginable story and bad scripting. Don`t waste your money! Gearbox shouldn't be allowed to get away with this, People should check the comparison video on how it was and how it is now.
  95. Feb 16, 2013
    I cant believe that mistake. The Ai is bad. the graphic is a disaster. and i pay for this 49 I have waiting for this game. Gearbox have make better games before.
  96. Feb 16, 2013
    Just a terrible game, story is a joke, AI is a joke, graphics is a joke, over all gameplay is just terrible. Its sad that Gearbox screwed over game about Aliens, could have been great game if they cared, but unfortunately it looked like they just didn't care at all and put this garbage together few months before the deadline.
  97. Feb 16, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a bit of a mixed bag, First off the campaign is just horrible and i found myself when playing on Hardened difficulty, i could just run through some of the levels. But some of the fan service throughout the campaign is pretty cool especially for Aliens fans such as myself. Finally the Multiplayer i found was surprisingly good. Being able to run around as xenomorphs is absolute fun. Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is an average game and didn't really live up to the hype 6/10 Expand
  98. Feb 15, 2013
    I would give the game a 4.75 but im rounding up, The game is disappointing, has some decent moments but is muddled down by terrible AI, stiff animations, and odd texture pop ins and lack of detail. not to mention the shooting is not really the best, and there is a lack of tension. This is just a shooting gallery with xenos.
  99. Feb 15, 2013
    Heres the deal kiddies, im 25 years old. ive been playing pc games fps since doom, quake, descent, wolfenstein etc etc came out. i can assure you do not waste your time and money on this game, lucky for me i picked it up for $50 instead of steam high price of $80. The game AI is terrible, they run around with bad ai decision sometimes even running past your team mates in single player games just to shoot you. the gun sound effects are awful and movement in general feels so unatural and stiff. if you like the feeling of cod s movements, aliens is completely opposite you feel like a robot. MULTIPLAYER IS you cant choose your sides, the matches are about 2 minutes each so once you get the hang of things your automatically playing an alien role and have no clue what your doing... multiplayer can only hold 10 so 5 vs 5 and because the matches are literally like 2 min each round you cant make technical or team work decision its really just a run and shoot whatever moves in your sight. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A TRUSTED GAME LIKE BLACKOPS NOT THIS GAME TRUST ME. Expand
  100. Feb 15, 2013
    The absolute worst game of 2013 so far. The single player is 5 HOURS, FIVE MO******CKING HOURS AND IT IS BORING, REPETITIVE AND PREDICTABLE. The characters are forgettable. The story is forgettable. The AI is they stop and wait for you and forgets that there is Xenomorphs around. And my biggest complain is that you fight Weyland-Yutani soldiers INSTEAD OF XENOMORPHS WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY DO THAT!? THIS IS AN ALIENS GAME! Ok so the story is you are a guy named Winter and you are on a spaceship when it gets attacked by xenomorphs then you find out that guess who is behind it? That is right Weyland-Yutani then the spaceship crashes on the planet then find Hadley's Hope after that the story is BULL****! Collapse

1. Jun 10, 2013