3.4

1. Apr 16, 2014
    Mind numbingly bad frame rate, PS2 quality graphics, bad writting, horrible AI, lame story, fully linear gameplay, and beyond boring characters. Aliens: Colonial Marines is without a doubt one of the worst games of 2013 and quite possibly one of the worst so far in this decade.
  2. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is terrible. From the broken A.I. to the dozen glitches you'll encounter when you play this game (you probably don't want to), this game should be avoided at all costs.

I chose to review this version of the game over the PS3 version even though I played both versions. I chose this version because the graphics should be improved on PC right? Wrong. The PS3 and PC versions look
    ALMOST identical and that is something not be proud of.

The graphics may not be the most important thing, but the same goes for the gameplay. The gameplay is terrible and like I said, has tons of glitches and a bad A.I. that sometimes blocks your way because it is running in circles.

Obviously this game is unpolished and unfinished. I would give this a 0 on the spot, but this game went through development hell and switched studio after studio. I wouldn't bash Gearbox for taking the credit of this game, as they have released gems before such as Borderlands 1 and 2. SEGA rushed Gearbox to complete the rest of the game after the last studio quit.

I just wish they would have kept the graphics and gameplay that we saw in the demo 2 years ago.
  3. Mar 20, 2014
    Its broken, down right unplayable alone, and it looks like it was made in 2007. My feelings for this game range from anger to sadness. Anger due to the fact that it was a flat out lie and sadness due to its potential as an awesome game turned trainwreck.
  4. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  5. Jan 4, 2014
    The only worthwhile part of this game is the online multiplayer which I can best describe as flawed but fun, however the issues including the fact that the games are only 5 V 5 at most will bore most people quickly. I have had a lot of fun playing it but I can't really recommend it, I mainly like it because Marines versus Aliens is very different from other games I usually play online such as Halo 4, Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3.
    The single-player campaign is worthless and if you are an Aliens franchise fan and were hoping to see a true sequel to Aliens you will only be disappointed and probably pissed off.
    This game was clearly falsely advertised.
  6. Dec 28, 2013
    Colonial marines is example of the player saddening infection of heavy preordering of games makes the games less needy to be polished and well finished.
    The more you preorder, the more you get unfinished games ,
    ruined with business.
    "hey guys finish this one fast, so we can sell another one already"
  7. Nov 25, 2013
    I can't help but feel sad about Alien fans, who paid the full retail price to play this title. I paid $5 and I feel like that was a waste of money, as I didn't even have the desire to finish it... Library Delete Local Content.... Done. Now I feel better.
  8. Nov 24, 2013
    The Marines are pretty useless in SP above recruit level and this is 'sorely' evident even with all the updates. This game is still unbalanced and broke when you get to fight with giant alien in a powerloader in such a rinse and repeat battle on soldier level and above. It is the most facepalm part of any game I have encountered in along while, and I have been gaming along time too.

Never forgive Sega/Gearbox for basically a initially very poor effort on release and making the game less crappy overtime. A more perfected A.I, more Aliens and less WU forces and this game could of have been great 'ALIEN' game. Plus having to buy the DLC Stasis Interrupted due to a big chunk of the ACM plot missing was a really bad and unfair move by the publishes/developers.
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    Things I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but it lacks on effort and work in its game. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is Über crap. Pre-ordered the game. Biggest letdown of the year. graphics are outdated and gameplay is boring. No scares at all.. Don't waste money on this..
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    Crapbox strikes again. many rumors surround the infamous development cycle this game went through. Outsourcing most of the work, stealing funds from this project and putting them into their other games, etc. But one thing is certain. Gearbox never cared at all about this game. It's a complete disaster from start to finish. The only redeeming quality about this game is that it takes place in the Aliens universe, which is awesome. Being a big Aliens fan, my review score is a bit higher than it normally would be if I didn't care about the license (probably a 2 or 3/10). Other than that, Aliens is a stale shooter which offers entirely linear gameplay and uninteresting multiplayer. The story is confusing and nonsensical, the characters are completely forgettable and there is no reason to care for any of them. While the voice acting for some of the characters is actually quite good, the lip syncing is terrible. Graphics and effects and other sounds are well below par. The AI is among the worst I've ever seen. The list goes on and on. The only people that should even think about buying this game are fans of the Aliens franchise. Everyone else needs to stay far away. After three disaster games in a row (Duke Nuke, Borderlands 2, and now this), Crapbox has shown they have no ability whatsoever to make a good modern game. Stay away from this crap developer and anything that they happen to spawn. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2013
    I got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on the fact that there were human enemies beside aliens. Massive let down for a game that had so much potential. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2013
    the only thing that actually was fun was the multyplayer, but even that has annoying bugs(invisible walls, wall climb going to on ledges, etc). Single player is boring as hell, definitely not worth the time specially with the retarded story it has going for it and an ending so poorly done that it makes me cringe. Bugs every where in single as well. What ever happened to this game i don't actually know but it is quite far from what we have been presented in the demos.(beside the graphics and quality, there is no smart AI as promised just a few lumps of single minded charging dummies that get stuck sometimes in invisible walls or different objects in the environment scenes showed in the demo are not found in the game, the pulse rifle shot sound seems to be unfinished, and so on...) This game screams unfinished at every corner. It is an insult to any one out there who actually paid for it. this game and the people who ****ed us over. Expand
  14. Oct 12, 2013
    I got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay is pathetic, why did they add iron sights to... a pulse rifle and shotguns? What? Why do aliens in this game are slowly moving practice targets and most of the game you will play call of duty in space against random WY mercenaries? Why story progression and delivery is so cheesy and terribly annoying, trying to masturbate in your face with "look at that reference! aren't we awesome and nerdy about Aliens the movie?!". Already dead multiplayer without server browser only matchmaking queue you will never get full. I won't even begin with a ton of scandalic alpha- and betalike bugs. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is a masterpiece compared to Colonial Marines. Expand
  15. Sep 7, 2013
    To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up. Overall it's a bland game in which you shoot weapons that doesn't really feel like weapons, at enemies that merely keep scrambling and charging at you with little AI to speak of.

The gameplay and graphics are both one generation behind. You won't want to play Aliens colonial marines when you could have spent about the same amount of money on other top-of-the-line shooters like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3.
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    Easily one of the most disappointing games of 2013, I am a huge fans of Aliens and I couldn't wait to play this game when it got announced many years ago. When I played this game I was greeted with terrible graphics, boring gameplay, horrible A.I and boring story. I just can't believe that FOX has approved this and made it canon to the film! What a joke.

On the bright side, The
    multi-player was fun while it lasted, Shame really as Gearbox seemed to care more about the online gameplay than the actual campaign.

If you REALLY want to play this... Well you know what to do.
  17. Aug 29, 2013
    I had extremely low expectations going in for this game. After being patched and out for a while, I figured five bucks wasn't a big risk but it was a complete waste. The graphics are horrible, might be passable four or five years ago, but they're really bad and even the art style is bad. The gameplay is worse...The first alien I encountered sort of just sat there with his back turned to me while I shot him dead. The AI really is awful, your teammates are pretty useless. Aliens swarm at you in massive numbers, die easily, and look they've been hit by paintballs as they lie dead. I love the Aliens setting and thought I would give it a chance, but I can't even bring myself to play it, it's simply not fun at all. Expand
  18. Aug 13, 2013
    The game sposed to be a alien game... but the game hasn't got almost anything about aliens... They took the alien lisence and make it a call of duty rip off. The game had worked for 3 years on this game and thats what they sucseeded so far? The only part I like was those alien focus part... you don't even need to shoot anything whole game exept at the final boss you can just run the WHOLE LEVEL while you are playing on recuit. and even in exterame mod it doesn't changes a lot... Expand
  19. Aug 7, 2013
    This game have very bad realization. Gearbox do the swindle and deceive about final quality of this game. All aspects of gameplay are bad. Particularly disappointing is slipshod animation of aliens.
  20. Aug 2, 2013
    Długie powstawanie gier często(nie zawsze!) nie wpływa pozytywnie na ich jakość. Taki przykładem jest właśnie Aliens: Colonial Marines który zapowiadał się ciekawie a po wyjściu na światło dzienne został zniszczony przez recenzentów że musiał szybko wracać pod ziemię. Fatalna grafika, kiepska grywalność, bugi, niedopracowanie gry, głupie AI, nudne pomysły, nie wykorzystany potencjał to jedynie połowa z wad które można wstawić temu wybrykowi. Twórcom udało się chodź odrobinę uratować sytuację robiąc chociaż po części nawet(tylko nawet!) ciekawy klimat, który i tak został strasznie nie wykorzystany. Nawet jak dla fana kosmicznej serii o Obcych to tytuł który powinno się omijać z daleka. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  21. Jul 28, 2013
    Yes, this game is worthy of all the horrible reviews others have given it. It has a bad single player experience. I won't go on faulting it over the story, this is all how bad the gaming experience is. It is like an arcade game where an alien or copany guy pops up so you can shoot them. Don't worry about them harming you. People have made videos of sidestepping aliens thru a later level without firing a shot. The multiplayer is somewhat redeeming. The biggest problem is they put out a horrible game and without feeling an ounce of shame, they felt they could sell new content. They even have the nerve to sell a single player add-on, really??? This should be the lowest rated game of the year. Maybe Simcity would beat it other then the initial launch, but overall gameplay, this is hands down the worst of the year. There is no way they should charge 50 for the game then charge for the season pass. Give it away to make up for this abomination they tricked people into buying. Expand
  22. Jul 22, 2013
    This game seems really unpolished when it comes to mechanics. The aliens are derpy and often turn around and jump over crates when completely unnecessary, but when they get to you they pack an annoyingly powerful punch. if something is fast it should not be strong, two or three hits later and you're nearly dead. the aliens clip through the ground, glitch out so they're behind you, and are far too challenging to be fun. but the aliens aren't the worst part, oh no, its the other marines that are the problem. their AI sucks, they do way to much damage, they can blind-fire, and if you try to take cover, they run up behind you and shoot you from behind. but you wouldn't know they where coming because you cant see over cover. seriously, the only way to shoot enemies is to stand up and expose half your body. but they also find ways to shoot you through cover, if you're behind a covered handrail, they'll shoot at your feet. seriously though, this is one of the only games i couldn't play because of how bad it is. i'm really reluctant to go back to playing this. Expand
  23. Jul 21, 2013
    The game as-is is not too bad, worth playing for the fans but I can only recommend if on a cheap deal. AI is terrible and graphics should be better, feels like a game from years before hand.
    Most users give hate due to the gameplay demo shown at E3 but the final product is a huge let down and verging on a con.
    The DLC saves the game if you like multiplayer but you have to buy them but
    you shouldn't have to throw money at a bad game to make it playable.
    The later patches have improved it a lot but not saved it completely.
  24. Jul 15, 2013
    OMFG... was this necessary? I've been waiting for this game like hell, and this...

I don't want to talk much: STAY AWAY. This game is a disaster, both technical and artistic... maybe it's in fact the worst FPS game for about 10 years. I just can't imagine what Gearbox was thinking... this game is unnacceptable.
  25. Jul 7, 2013
    No comment. Oh, wait. So review has to contain at least 150 characters. Well, then: No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment,...
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    Another failure after a DNF. Bad graphics, boring gameplay. The game is appalling for its quality, it is strange that the second project after Duke Nukem Forever has such poor quality.
  27. Jun 23, 2013
    WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This game is pure trash. Broken AI, horrible graphics, terrible story and most of the time you shoot humans??? I give this 1 and not 0 cause i like aliens, but this game is really bad joke
  28. Jun 20, 2013
    This is a painfully average game, the Aliens franchise deserved a whole lot better than this half-assed thing. The graphics are functional, nothing otherworldly, but bear in mind that this is more accurate after the 4GB patch, but an important gotcha, they look nothing, and I mean NOTHING like what they show on the demo footage, it's a ripoff and a trick to get you to buy something that it's not what you're seeing. The storyline is frankly the stupidest and most damaging thing I've seen inflicted on this series, there is a plot hole so freaking huge that the mystery character that appears just says "too long to explain", that's it, that's the explaination for shamelessly raping the movie Aliens.
    There is a pointless cameo of Hadley's Hope, just fan service, which granted, could have been nice, but is so underwhelming that I wish I hadn't played that part, I love the move Aliens so much that playing through that and getting so disappointed was damaging to the soul of a hardcore fan such as me; it's surprising how little damage a thermonuclear explosion caused on the main colony complex.
    The characters are forgettable, honestly I remember more, and had way more fun with the main characters from Aliens vs Predator 2 (great game, btw).
    The action is fast paced, but the enemy AI is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, these are the most charming, most tame Aliens I've ever seen, they really do their best not to hurt you, adorable! You see hints of good ideas, like sometimes you see them hiding in the shadows, and they fail at leaping at you, or attempting to attack after you shoot them, painfully easy.
    The multiplayer is horrible and boring, I haven't seen an Aliens game with xenomorphs so stiff to move! The marines are far more suited for combat than the aliens.
    Avoid this game if you're an Aliens fan (though if you're one, you'll probably make the same mistake I did and not heed to advice
  29. May 23, 2013
    First of all: I cannot play it without Gold membership. Second: The gameplay is pure crap Third: it copies Left 4 Dead Fourth: It feels like a mentally retarted cat is controlling the AI Fifth: the story has been eatened, swallowed, thrown up, Eaten again, and got dumped in the toilet. Sixth: I was just lucky I got it for a free rental on GameFly.com. I wouldm't bear spending a single dollar on this.
    and Seventh:
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    My opinion Very poor. The graphics (which do not make a game good) are dire here with textures that seem to hark back to 2006 if not earlier. The campaign is nonsensical with terrible AI on both sides of the player and a plot line that seems to just make things up as it goes along and fail (although promises) to provide explanation. The NPCs, you just end up hating them, especially O'Niel who is meant to be "your guy". He either does nothing and just watches you battling moronic aliens or when he does shoot he seems to have forgotten his real smart gun and brought along his nerf version utterly pointless. As for the voice acting, lets just say it's bad. I need to go back to the AI again here because it's so poor, so bad, you have no feel at all of suspense or terror. The aliens are dumb (not that you'll end up fighting them much in this game). Instead of the creepy, could come from anywhere alien, they leap into the center of the room and then barrel roll at you allowing you plenty of time to blow them away. If they actually manage to get close enough to you to hit you, they hit you once and then leap away, allowing you to blow them away what's the point?

The multiplayer as long as you're a marine you'll end up ok as the controls are easy and pretty much what you'd expect. As the alien you're completely screwed, the controls don't seem to work and nothing is fluid about it. When I try and wall climb my alien has a fit and I end up being shot for trying to play as an alien!!!

Good points They've got the sound and music right, but was that really difficult?
    - It works. It has yet to crash on me to be fair and everything seems to work the way it was meant too.
    That's it.

There was so much opportunity with this game to offer up something great, the breath new life in to the Aliens franchise, but it was squandered. What could have potentially been Gearbox's best game turned out to be something they don't even seem to want to comment on except blame other developers and Sega. I think I can speak for fans when I say I would have preferred another 6 year delay and a good game rather than this copy and paste COD shooter that contains all the horror and suspense of a jar of pickled eggs.

1. Jun 10, 2013