3.4

1. Jul 22, 2014
    Spectacular game! I put off buying this game because of the bad reviews but I now see most of them are unfounded. This is definitely worth buying, even more so if you are a fan of Aliens.
  2. Jul 5, 2014
    I have tried to like this game on the PC but to be honest I thought it was sub standard. I have the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010 which I think is graphically better, more atmospheric, has higher levels of tension & better level design than Aliens Colonial Marines even though this is a newer game. I have now uninstalled the travesty that is Aliens Colonial Marines. I am hoping that the new Alien Isolation game is a good one when it's out later this year. Expand
  3. Jul 3, 2014
    i love the alien franchise, i always have, even since i was far too young to watch the movies. but this...........
    to be honest i wish i had never tarnished my memories with this game. to start it was virtually unplayable, in fact it just was unplayable. then i did a few recommended tweaks and it went up to the level of highly irritating.
    the brief time i have spent trying to persevere
    was seriously disappointing. either it would lag so bad that you die in seconds or the alien just stands there waiting for a bullet.
    then just to top it off, when you just want to close it and forget it ever happened it bugs out and constantly restarts itself until you have to turn off the computer. there is apparently a fix for this but i dont want to know. i paid £6.99 for it and its uninstalled never to be messed with again.
    maybe if it was a couple of tweaks and it was fine i could have enjoyed it. however i spent 6 hours trying to make this game playable. one of those was just trying to get the thing to shut down and stay shut down!
    frankly, i expected more in this day and age. considering AVP2 before this i was expecting something halfway decent, this is not it though. the standard of games these days is pretty good, and to fight for a corner of the market is tough. i think this was just a way to exploit alien fans and their curiosity.
    there is just nothing i can recommend about it. i regret buying it, i regret installing it, i regret trying to make it work and i regret not stopping to find out about it before i paid for it.
    save your money, buy a couple of beers and watch the movies. it would be a much better use of your time and money.
  4. Jun 21, 2014
    Its bad... Its really, really bad. What was suppose to be a good game turned out to be horrible and it almost made me want to cry being a big fan of the Alien series. I had no fun while playing. You get way to many guns and enemies are so easy to kill. Its to easy and then you end up not having fun at all. The best part about it is the online mode where you get to control an Alien. And controlling an Alien sucks so much. At least this game functions? It sucks.

Aliens: Colonial Marines gets a 2/10
  5. Jun 20, 2014
    Playing this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not all that bad. It's not a AAA game, but it's far from being a BAD game - matter of fact, Gearbox did a pretty good job given the short time frame they had to fix it up. The controls are solid, the gameplay's relatively entertaining, the only thing that irritated me was a glitch that caused the game to relaunch every time I wanted to quit it. In all honesty, if it weren't for the hype, I reckon reviews for this game would've been mixed to positive. It isn't a bad game. It may not be the best, but it isn't bad by a long shot. If you've never played it, but heard of its infamy, maybe you should give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  6. Jun 11, 2014
    First of all, this game does not look nearly like the trailers for it.It is a scam and I hate it that we have to be a part of this, going for preorders as soon as we see another scam trailer. The devs deserve every low opinion of them as they cheated the public. As for everything else a game is, they pretty much failed at it.

SOUND
    Two or three tracks play through the whole thing.
    Boring, uninspiring. It totally took me out of the experience. As if this wasn`t bad enough, the shooting, explosions sounds are very weak. The dialogues are ok at best.

GAMEPLAY
    Let me tell you, the worst thing I can compare to this is FEAR3. The guns are awful as they handle in a very arcadish way. No matter what gun you choose, the aim is all over the place. Guns like the smartgun or shotgun you`d think are powerful tend to waste a lot of ammo since they take at least a few hits to score a Xeno/human kill. The melee mechanics are very stale and unforgiving, unintuitive. You won`t be using them too much. The Colonial Marines obviously didn`t come up with an idea to use a knife or a blowtorch as weapons. Moreover, the player cannot sprint more than 20 meters of length until he`s half-dead because of poor stamina. The armor/health bars are a joke, because there is no difference if you get hit in the head or legs, it is always the same. The thing I liked is the motion sensor mechanics where you have to hit a key to bring it up but you can`t use a weapon at the same time.

AI
    Very poor. The Xenos charge you frontside, they do not use their strenght or tail. The humans always do the same - they spawn up in a map spot, go to a cover and shoot from there, end of story.
    Teammate AI can`t kill a thing, often blocks the only way forward. When travelling through the map they rush on ahead bypassing any enemies, leaving you alone to battle swarms. Other times they get caught up in a spot on the map so you have to wait fro them to spawn in another section.

GRAPHICS
    What to say. Well, the year 2007 seems suitable for the graphics quality here. The textures are merely ok, the lightning is awful. The actor models are average at best. In some places there are signs of definite resource saving since this is first and foremost a 360 game. So in some places the game looks very poor. The killed enemies vaporize 10 seconds after being put down.

STORY
    Normal story executed in a poor way. Half the time you battle humans only. Most of the time you`re running around opening door, hacking systems. Very monotone until you get to next section as the main story is short. The bossfights due to poor AI are weak, not scary in any way. Each and every cutscene is a disgrace to the Alien/Aliens franchise.

MULTIPLAYER
    The number of gamemodes and modifications is ok. If you can get people to play this thing against each other than the experience gains some quality. Nonetheless it gets repetitive and after some hours in it I got bored.

Overall feels like an unpolished and rushed 3rd rate production of some low budget game studios.
    Not recommended.
  7. May 21, 2014
    1st mission was average then the 2nd mission shoot the humans a rip off of call of duty THIS GAME I couldnt even finish it by level 8 i threw the game 3 times level 7 was the worst and for a huge fan of aliens people said this game was bad but i didnt listlen and now look were i am A 0 DONE
  8. May 19, 2014
    Average as anything but nowhere near as bad as its cracked up to be. I was expecting a broken mess. While it's far from great it's not that. It pales in comparison to Aliens, but that it a nigh perfect film. It is a perfectly competent shooter though. Linear, boggo graphics and some fairly crappy voice acting. It's a bit like Call of Duty in space then.
  9. May 6, 2014
    The biggest gaming let-down of this century. Fans waited seven years.. for this? I have lost faith in Gearbox as a company with the way they handled this release. There is no excuse for the patchwork story, buggy menus, and lack of dedicated multiplayer servers. Everything in this game feels low rent, as if it was an after-thought and that the game needed to be pushed out from development hell. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  10. Apr 16, 2014
    Mind numbingly bad frame rate, PS2 quality graphics, bad writting, horrible AI, lame story, fully linear gameplay, and beyond boring characters. Aliens: Colonial Marines is without a doubt one of the worst games of 2013 and quite possibly one of the worst so far in this decade.
  11. Apr 13, 2014
    Game is hard as hell but being an aliens fan its the challenge that i love best game so far. cant wait for the new one isolation.i love ripley and if this new one comes out i will definitly be excited its her daughter which i didnt know she had.
  12. Apr 13, 2014
    I really don't know why everyone is **** about this game. This game is pretty decent, sure it's just another COD clone but it's not a **** one. I didn't play the other aliens so I am not an angry fanboy. the shooting works alright and the graphics are not bad but the story is boring as hell. This game is not good and not bad, its not special.
  13. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is terrible. From the broken A.I. to the dozen glitches you'll encounter when you play this game (you probably don't want to), this game should be avoided at all costs.

I chose to review this version of the game over the PS3 version even though I played both versions. I chose this version because the graphics should be improved on PC right? Wrong. The PS3 and PC versions look
    ALMOST identical and that is something not be proud of.

The graphics may not be the most important thing, but the same goes for the gameplay. The gameplay is terrible and like I said, has tons of glitches and a bad A.I. that sometimes blocks your way because it is running in circles.

Obviously this game is unpolished and unfinished. I would give this a 0 on the spot, but this game went through development hell and switched studio after studio. I wouldn't bash Gearbox for taking the credit of this game, as they have released gems before such as Borderlands 1 and 2. SEGA rushed Gearbox to complete the rest of the game after the last studio quit.

I just wish they would have kept the graphics and gameplay that we saw in the demo 2 years ago.
  14. Mar 25, 2014
    i'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had to use your motion tracker. but since this game bombed in reviews, it takes like 30 min. to find a game because nobody plays it anymore Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2014
    Its broken, down right unplayable alone, and it looks like it was made in 2007. My feelings for this game range from anger to sadness. Anger due to the fact that it was a flat out lie and sadness due to its potential as an awesome game turned trainwreck.
  16. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fair to middlin' time for a bug hunt. Voice acting was abysmal, and the story had potential that it never reached. Only the Prometheus easter egg really lent any interest. Patches released post-release fixed the game and took it from a complete failure to a crippled mess. Whilst shooting and running from Aliens is a blast, its sad that the toy that came with the game as garnish is better than the game itself (if you pre-ordered the collector's edition). Expand
  17. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  18. Feb 11, 2014
    To me this game is average. The graphics sure are awesome, but the gameplay and the entire horor feel were not there. was it fun? yes at some points. but for the most part its call of duty but with aliens.
  19. Jan 28, 2014
    Today, after all patchs and with 3 friends in coop mod, in hard difficulty, it's a real good game! Ok the first release wasn't finished, but currently this game deserves a better rating...
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2014
    This game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in a survival horror. But I liked it. It's like Duke Nukem, everyone wanted something badass...they gave us something badass and trashy as DUKE NUKEM is, it's just the taste of gamers that have changed. As they did with this title.

Multiplayer IMHO is to dump, just remain on the single player campaign and enjoy it.

This doesn't mean that if they did what they promised the game would have been SO MUCH BETTER.
  22. Jan 9, 2014
    I really can`t understand all those bad Ratings. I enjoy the game, like the gameplay and the atmosphere !
    Even the graphics are not the best I have seen, the game looks good.
    The only thing to complain ist the fact, that there is no quicksave.
  23. Jan 4, 2014
    The only worthwhile part of this game is the online multiplayer which I can best describe as flawed but fun, however the issues including the fact that the games are only 5 V 5 at most will bore most people quickly. I have had a lot of fun playing it but I can't really recommend it, I mainly like it because Marines versus Aliens is very different from other games I usually play online such as Halo 4, Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3.
    The single-player campaign is worthless and if you are an Aliens franchise fan and were hoping to see a true sequel to Aliens you will only be disappointed and probably pissed off.
    This game was clearly falsely advertised.
  24. Dec 28, 2013
    Colonial marines is example of the player saddening infection of heavy preordering of games makes the games less needy to be polished and well finished.
    The more you preorder, the more you get unfinished games ,
    ruined with business.
    "hey guys finish this one fast, so we can sell another one already"
  25. Dec 19, 2013
    I dont understand why this game gets so much flak. Im not even aliens fan, and having bought the game recently i honetly love it. Capmaign is interesting and its great to visit places from the movie. Weapons feel awesome, squadmates shoot and even sometimes kill, and aliens behave like they should crawlng evrywhere, evading attacks and close distances very quickly. Compared to AVP 2010 its a good game. Much mor dynamic and fast and responsive, great atmosphere too.

It feels to me that most people here give over-inflated negative reviews for some reason, well I decided to do an honest one. So to me the game is 9 and I have barely touched the multiplayer yet.(and its fun!)

1. Graphics 7.5 nice atmospheric and lighting effects
    2. Music 9 totally suitable for aliens game(heroic and tense)
    3. Sound 10 sound effects are just great from pulse rifle hissing
    4. Amosphere 10 very very convincing
    5. Story 7. Good but nothing too special
    6. Voice acting 8 solid
    7. Gamplay 9 fluid and plenty of guns/customisation
    8. AI 8 aliens hav very good ai they are very agile ane bhave like animals should. Humans ai is alright as wll, they even flank you if your not careful.
    9. Multiplayer havnt played long enoght to score. But first feel -about 8.

please take in account that I have bought the game recntly so it is a fully patched version.
  26. Nov 28, 2013
    The people who rated this game have no knowledge of the alien universe this game is really good ,and has great multiplayer an awesome campaign following the aliens moves story line and deserves at least an 80, this is a good game and the people who rated it low don't know what they're talking about. In fact if you bought it for 10 dollars that's like getting black flag for 20. This game deserves better and you can help it get there. Expand
  27. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a last generation game that tries to use basic tools to create an experience worthy of the alien franchise. Game technology has moved on, so it falls short of expectations. However, it makes what I feel to be a very strong attempt at putting the gamer in the position of a marine living the Alien storyline.

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments
    of the alien story, although no new ones. Close knit corridors, spacecraft and rocky planet surfaces. The enemies you face are varied both in type and species, meaning that combat is mixed up nicely. You also progress with a set of likeable comrades, which prevents the game becoming 'lonely'.

However, as a game coming out close to 'crysis'. It really doesn't match up. The graphics are average and the AI is pretty weak, especially for allies that occasionally get lost.

I enjoyed this game, but it suffers from a poor technological footing and the resulting failure to meet expectations.
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    Well I thought the game was fun, lol it wasn't scary I've never thought games are scary though... but graphically it was good. I did beat it in 8-9 hours though that is way to short I keep reading complaints about AI not helping enough, I play the game by myself and don't rely on AI to play it for me lol so the whining about AI assistance is pointless, and xeno attacks on main character is understandable, since AI is useless lol. ANYWAY its a cool game I'll play it again! Expand
  29. Nov 25, 2013
    I can't help but feel sad about Alien fans, who paid the full retail price to play this title. I paid $5 and I feel like that was a waste of money, as I didn't even have the desire to finish it... Library Delete Local Content.... Done. Now I feel better.
  30. Mar 1, 2013
    Don't even bother. This game looked absolutely amazing in the trailer, but like so many others fell flat on it's face. It's a disgrace to mar the Aliens franchise with this BS.

First of all, the pulse rifle doesn't sound right. Secondly, it's over powered. You can tear an alien to shreds by merely showing it your weapon, yet human opponents can take several hits before they die..
    duh, ok.

Aside from that unforgivable oversight, the game is VERY boring. Level design is pish, AI is pish, no tension, no action, BORING!!! That's about as much as I'm going to say, as this title doesn't justify the time I've already wasted on it. Gearbox, srsly.

1. Jun 10, 2013