Aliens: Colonial Marines PC

3.4

1. May 3, 2013
    The game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 becauseThe game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 because I'm a fan of the movies and previous AvP games and as I said it could of been worse (like throwing on walls and slapping wall seriously) Expand
  2. Jun 22, 2016
    This game really isn't as bad as it was made out to be, though I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people. Granted, I hear it's had about ten gigs worth of patches since it released, and it looked and ran fine for me, so complaints of "hurr durr it looks like an original Xbox game" are no longer valid (the "infinite relaunch" bug aside) I can't speak for the differences between the E3This game really isn't as bad as it was made out to be, though I probably wouldn't recommend it to most people. Granted, I hear it's had about ten gigs worth of patches since it released, and it looked and ran fine for me, so complaints of "hurr durr it looks like an original Xbox game" are no longer valid (the "infinite relaunch" bug aside) I can't speak for the differences between the E3 demo and the game, either, there's obviously no excuse for outright lying to consumers and to Sega regarding who was getting paid for what, but I won't go further into that here. Suffice to say I don't like Gearbox as much as I like "their" games.

My experience with ACM is that its very similar to another maligned Gearbox title, Duke Nukem Forever, in that it was delayed for a considerable amount of time, could not possibly live up to the hype, and when it finally released, it was judged to be largely out of date. The third is partly true, in that it plays much like a 2000s-era shooter: You have sectional health that only regenerates the current segment, there are armor pickups, and you can carry every gun in the game: though you can only equip two long guns, a pistol and one grenade type at given time, and must use a radial menu to switch your equipped weapons.

Some other complaints about the game are valid: It suffers from some weak writing in parts, the AI on the whole is pretty damn stupid, and the combat has almost no variety: You're either fighting the xenomorphs or Weyland-Yutani mercs (or both at once) and both have limited attacks and tactics. It does get a bit stale. Also, Michael Beihn's reprisal of Hicks sounded pretty phoned in, though that could just have been his age. There's also a persistent problem with your AI teammates. While they can't die no matter how many times their dumb asses get shot, their bullets seem to do little to no damage to enemies, as if they were just background decoration and you are expected to shoot every ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ thing. The fact that the pause menu tracks your kills and assists attests to this. I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-90 kills per level and assists in the single digits. Even the HALO marines could ♥♥♥♥ing kill a few Covenant before they were overwhelmed.

However, what redeemed the game for me was the commnitment to recreating the look and feel of Aliens. According to the few positive reviews I read, ACM should only be played if you are a serious Aliens fan, and in that respect, I was not disappointed. The music is spot on, as is the environment designs, considering they hired the concept artist from the film to help design the levels. The weapons look and sound accurate, most notably the "xerox machine" sound that the pulse rifles make. Also, the fact that they bothered to get Beihn, along with Lance Henriksen, really helped the immersion, though I continue to disapprove of the use of celebrity voice actors. Perhaps if they hadn't gotten said actors, more money could have gone into the development of the game, the same way CoD could be, y'know, good, if they didn't have Gary Oldman and Ed Harris and ♥♥♥♥ing Ice Cube and ♥♥♥♥.

Suffice it to say, if i had payed more then $3.74 for this game, I might have been a bit ♥♥♥♥♥♥ off. But I knew what I was getting into and I stayed away from this game for a long time, until it was offered for a more appropriate price. If you like Aliens or singleplayer FPSs as much as I do, you could do much worse then ACM, as long as games like Chaser or Pariah exist. However, you might be better off checking out the 2011 game Aliens: Infestation on the DS, which is ultimately a superior title to this one.
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    I would rate the first part of the game below average, That part is set on a space ship, and this is where you encounter human enemies besides aliens. The main problem of the game is the DUMB AI. This ruins the fight with human enemies, but ultimately ruins every part of the game where you are teamed up with human npcs. Team mates get stuck frequently, they are left behind, stay in frontI would rate the first part of the game below average, That part is set on a space ship, and this is where you encounter human enemies besides aliens. The main problem of the game is the DUMB AI. This ruins the fight with human enemies, but ultimately ruins every part of the game where you are teamed up with human npcs. Team mates get stuck frequently, they are left behind, stay in front of you at the wrong times (basically they are useless and annoying...I would rather go alone, than with a marine that is not good for anything...). The second part is set on LV-426 (Aliens took place here). I would rate this part of A:CM average, with some better than average parts. It was fun to encounter the sets of Aliens (especially if you love the universe of the movies). Here the game focuses on the aliens. There is also a mission where you need to rely on stealth (it was a highlight of the game, with creepy lighting and sounds). There are some tense moment in the game, but I never felt scared (There were some intense moments, but I felt the game is lacking tension). The movement of the enemies felt clunchy. This is probably due to the small and closed spaces where most encounters with aliens took place. Many time they are spawned behind the player or just running around. Weapon customisation was a nice addition. The story is average, while characters are very "two dimensional" (with many cheesy dialogues....). Overall the game felt like a generic shooter, set in the Aliens universe, which would deserve a better game than Aliens: Colonial Marines. Expand
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    SEGA have made a terrible presentation again. Was not that bad nor good. Good dialogue but terrible missions. Being this game on the human scale it would be Alienated, waste of $70
  5. Nov 7, 2013
    So you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuationSo you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuation however sloppy to "Aliens." The story to "Aliens: Colonial Marines" basically details a war between the United States Colonial Marines and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation's private army of heavily armed hired mercenaries, who are illegally breeding the hideous Xenomorph creatures using captured Marines and innocent space colonists as hosts.

It all sounds exciting, doesn't it? But it does have many issues...
  6. Jun 11, 2014
    First of all, this game does not look nearly like the trailers for it.It is a scam and I hate it that we have to be a part of this, going for preorders as soon as we see another scam trailer. The devs deserve every low opinion of them as they cheated the public. As for everything else a game is, they pretty much failed at it.

SOUND Two or three tracks play through the whole thing.

SOUND
    Two or three tracks play through the whole thing. Boring, uninspiring. It totally took me out of the experience. As if this wasn`t bad enough, the shooting, explosions sounds are very weak. The dialogues are ok at best.

GAMEPLAY
    Let me tell you, the worst thing I can compare to this is FEAR3. The guns are awful as they handle in a very arcadish way. No matter what gun you choose, the aim is all over the place. Guns like the smartgun or shotgun you`d think are powerful tend to waste a lot of ammo since they take at least a few hits to score a Xeno/human kill. The melee mechanics are very stale and unforgiving, unintuitive. You won`t be using them too much. The Colonial Marines obviously didn`t come up with an idea to use a knife or a blowtorch as weapons. Moreover, the player cannot sprint more than 20 meters of length until he`s half-dead because of poor stamina. The armor/health bars are a joke, because there is no difference if you get hit in the head or legs, it is always the same. The thing I liked is the motion sensor mechanics where you have to hit a key to bring it up but you can`t use a weapon at the same time.

AI
    Very poor. The Xenos charge you frontside, they do not use their strenght or tail. The humans always do the same - they spawn up in a map spot, go to a cover and shoot from there, end of story.
    Teammate AI can`t kill a thing, often blocks the only way forward. When travelling through the map they rush on ahead bypassing any enemies, leaving you alone to battle swarms. Other times they get caught up in a spot on the map so you have to wait fro them to spawn in another section.

GRAPHICS
    What to say. Well, the year 2007 seems suitable for the graphics quality here. The textures are merely ok, the lightning is awful. The actor models are average at best. In some places there are signs of definite resource saving since this is first and foremost a 360 game. So in some places the game looks very poor. The killed enemies vaporize 10 seconds after being put down.

STORY
    Normal story executed in a poor way. Half the time you battle humans only. Most of the time you`re running around opening door, hacking systems. Very monotone until you get to next section as the main story is short. The bossfights due to poor AI are weak, not scary in any way. Each and every cutscene is a disgrace to the Alien/Aliens franchise.

MULTIPLAYER
    The number of gamemodes and modifications is ok. If you can get people to play this thing against each other than the experience gains some quality. Nonetheless it gets repetitive and after some hours in it I got bored.

Overall feels like an unpolished and rushed 3rd rate production of some low budget game studios.
    Not recommended.
  7. Feb 11, 2014
    To me this game is average. The graphics sure are awesome, but the gameplay and the entire horor feel were not there. was it fun? yes at some points. but for the most part its call of duty but with aliens.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    It's sad when a beloved franchises gets the "EA" treatment. I might be embellishing a bit, but it's understandable since i used to be a fan. The game is, for lack of a better word, "MEH". I didn't get to play much since i did so at a friend's house, but what i did get to play kind of left me wanting. What the hell was i playing? It certainly didn't feel like an "Aliens" game. SomewhatIt's sad when a beloved franchises gets the "EA" treatment. I might be embellishing a bit, but it's understandable since i used to be a fan. The game is, for lack of a better word, "MEH". I didn't get to play much since i did so at a friend's house, but what i did get to play kind of left me wanting. What the hell was i playing? It certainly didn't feel like an "Aliens" game. Somewhat Clunky and Heavily scripted, the purpose of which, i'm guessing, is inspiring suspense, but it doesn't really matter because it fails to do so in any other way except for those moments of eerie silence when you're walking alone And those are nothing new. Outside of excluding the Predators as a playable race, and adding some menial reward mechanisms you see in EVERY OTHER FPS out there, i don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than a dumbed-down AVP3 clone. The optimization itself seems to be horrendous, as the already non-stellar gameplay suffered almost omnipresent lag spikes. IN SINGLE PLAYER. How the hell does that happen? This might be a huge issue with paying customers, since some of them coughed up quite a sum by pre-ordering. One other thing that seems to follow every game of late like the plague, is the over-dramatization of already "dramatic" events. I don't understand what the issue is there, and why does it happen so often, but it sucks to see marines acting as if this is some Aliens soap opera. How, in their right mind, would anyone take this game seriously after that fact is beyond me. I should have known, after seeing Randy Pitchford's smug little face on the trailers, that this game is going to bomb. The AI is pathetic. I've seen better enemy reactions in Wolfenstein. I give it a 5 out of sheer devotion to the franchise, nothing else. If this was any other generic fps, it wouldn't even sell at the bargain bin. My advice is, play something else. Until it gets a couple of well-deserved patches, you should forget that this "thing" even exists. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2013
    This is the first time I have beaten a $50 dollar game in less than 20 hours. Even though the game is relatively easy (even for old guys like me), I still found it to be entertaining. My biggest critiques are: (1) too much down time between fights, even though cut scenes didn't interfere too much. (2) rather dim graphics (3) number of radio calls from the normally absentee players whoThis is the first time I have beaten a $50 dollar game in less than 20 hours. Even though the game is relatively easy (even for old guys like me), I still found it to be entertaining. My biggest critiques are: (1) too much down time between fights, even though cut scenes didn't interfere too much. (2) rather dim graphics (3) number of radio calls from the normally absentee players who always seem to be waiting for the protagonist to show up (4) highly forgettable plot; I can't even remember the hero's name. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2014
    This game gets way to much crap than it deserves because I enjoyed playing the game. But... The A.I. was god awful, the characters weren't that likeable, and the level design was repetetive and dull. But the game had some good qualities like amazing backgrounds, cool scenery, and pretty decent graphics and cool guns. I would give it a 5/10 (average/mediocre).
  11. Jun 20, 2014
    Playing this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not allPlaying this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not all that bad. It's not a AAA game, but it's far from being a BAD game - matter of fact, Gearbox did a pretty good job given the short time frame they had to fix it up. The controls are solid, the gameplay's relatively entertaining, the only thing that irritated me was a glitch that caused the game to relaunch every time I wanted to quit it. In all honesty, if it weren't for the hype, I reckon reviews for this game would've been mixed to positive. It isn't a bad game. It may not be the best, but it isn't bad by a long shot. If you've never played it, but heard of its infamy, maybe you should give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    Is it GOTY material? no.. is it better than Farcry 3? no.. is it a decent satisfying game experience set in the ALIENS universe? yes.

The hate-fest is silly and doesn't reflect reality at all. its a 7/10 game, no less and no more.
  13. Mar 24, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo norAliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo nor the interesting level designs, the entire game is essentially half broken. Enemy AI is ludicrously dumb and glitchy, the friendly AI is almost broken with some of the worst pathfinding Ive seen in literally years. The plot itself starts off well and actually has some interesting aspects to it throughout the middle but after a few levels, it just falls to pieces, as if they ran out of time and had to add in a horrible, poor-executed climax and conclusion. For fans of the franchise, you will be hooked by its generic xeno-killing gameplay but this excitement only lasts as long as your love for using the Pulse Rifle. There's a wide range of weapons but in all honesty, you'll probably only use 2-3 of them. Thankfully, the Smart-Gun and Pulse Rifles have been well designed and executed with their familiar sounds and impact (though the recoil for the Pulse Rifle is a big ridiculous). Another positive is the inclusion of legendary guns from the second film including Vasquez's Smartgun, Hudon's Pulse Rifle, Norman's Pistol etc. The NPC's you meet are generic as hell and have the worst lines (though the voice-acting is solid). The game cutscenes are poorly rendered and overall, the engine has a 2005 look with excessive lighting and poor textures. Multiplayer-wise, it holds up well but ultimately, compared Natural Selection 2, its inferior. Co-op just feels tacted on and is fun for a few levels for at the end of the day, its probably one of the worst implemented with player warping and a lack of Co-op features. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a total letdown and my biggest disappointment of a game since Mass Effect 3 last year. They have recently released a new patch that does enhance the AI and graphics as well as a solid Bug Hunt DLC but all in all its like adding extra icing and fresh seasoning to a chocolate cake gone bad: too little, too late. Unless you're a big Aliens nut like myself, than avoid A:CM at all costs. Its Game Over all right. Game Over. Expand
  14. Jul 23, 2013
    The sound is great, the graphics are average and the gameplay feels like a bad call of duty, but I still enjoyed this game, it has things to be enjoyed and things that just suck, If you don't care about the bad campaign just go onto multiplayer and have fun, after 6 years this is what we get? it's disappointing at some point, still likeable though.
  15. Nov 7, 2015
    This game has lots of missed opportunities. Graphics are low (e.g. static lightning); shooting isn't great (the pulse weapon is seriously underpowered against enemy soldiers; you can't hold the machine gun steady and it can do only fire bursts of 3 bullets); the story is pretty much absent and the Aliens atmosphere isn't there. How could Gearbox fail so miserably? Only pick it up if theThis game has lots of missed opportunities. Graphics are low (e.g. static lightning); shooting isn't great (the pulse weapon is seriously underpowered against enemy soldiers; you can't hold the machine gun steady and it can do only fire bursts of 3 bullets); the story is pretty much absent and the Aliens atmosphere isn't there. How could Gearbox fail so miserably? Only pick it up if the game is on sale below 5 euro and even then you do them a favor. The user average sore of 3.4 is too low. It is a mediocre game but certainly not the worst one out there. Expand
  16. May 4, 2013
    The pc version is MILES better than the xbox version and the game can be pretty fun at times. so far the only problems I see can be fixed with patches or in the next 3 dlc packs
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    Well, since there are lots of negative reviews already I have to add some positive things that I noticed.
    During presentations I wasn't stunned by the level of graphics, so I didn't expect much. The visual part will not make a gamer happy who has spent time playing Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2. But yet it gave enough detalisation so you could imagine yourself being away on a deserted planet. Face animations have no 'life', still I don't think it's a big problem.
    Sound effects is important part for a game in a universe of Aliens. It seems that music and sound is not what is usually discussed in reviews, but when these elements are done badly you can't miss such flaws. Using rifles made me want to skip all shooting sections. It is sound that ruined 'feeling' of a weapon. Too bad, because the design of weapons was not that bad.
    The design of levels is poor, 4 gamers on a level would feel lack of space. Despite the fact that it usually took me around 20-30 minutes to complete a level, everything that you keep in mind after completing one was running, shooting, running, loading.
    There was only one time when I was in a team of 4 players. Thing is that I started playing two weeks after the game's release date. By that time everyone stopped playing the game. Absence of server browser made me watch searching for other players for tenth of minutes before I had to go into singleplayer journey.
    The worst thing that made me angry was the storyline. Idea of connecting characters from original 'Aliens' movie with the ones in the game was horrible and had no logic.
    But I have to say that the competitive multiplayer was good. Maps and different classes is the strongest part of the game. It is far away from the gameplay that we have in 'Left 4 Dead', but it is worth playing.
    I'm sorry for those who bought season's pass in advance for the game that disapoints starting from the menu. Finally I have to say, that expectations for the game were too high and I'm 100% sure that the year's biggest fail has already arrived.
  18. Feb 12, 2013
    Well this is a game i have been waiting for a long time. And, truth be told, it's not great. First of all, the grafics are "ok" on the pc version. Not great, but ok. But they are not the problem with this game. First, the campaign is just bad. From the first 10 minutes into the game, it felt really wrong. If this is suppose, to be a direct and legit sequel to aliens, well... It sucks. TheWell this is a game i have been waiting for a long time. And, truth be told, it's not great. First of all, the grafics are "ok" on the pc version. Not great, but ok. But they are not the problem with this game. First, the campaign is just bad. From the first 10 minutes into the game, it felt really wrong. If this is suppose, to be a direct and legit sequel to aliens, well... It sucks. The characters are all forgetable. I cared for none of them. NONE. They are a generic copy and paste from old school action game characters with no personality. If you liked Hudson, Hicks Vasq, drake, ect... None of the marines in this game come even close to them. You just DON'T CARE!!! The story was meh, the missions on the Sulaco were forgetable, but it gets better once you get to Hadley's hope. And the ending is just terrible. The campain is just 5 hours long give or take. Now... some of you might not care about the story. You just want the atmosphere and tensions from the movie right? Did gearbox pull it off? Well... To be fair, sound is good, music is accurate and yes Hadley's hope is very detailed and looks very accurate to the movie. But here is the thing where GBX messed up... And it's no small issue. The ALIENS... My god... the Aliens! They walk and move around like retards, they don't scare you, they just pop at you in (badly)scripted events. Think it stops there? I am just getting started... The AI is... It's..... I can't describe it. But Half-life 1 had a better AI then this piece of crap. Yes. HL 1, a game that came out YEARS ago, did better. ALIENS ARE RETARDS in this game. And don't think that they get smarter at higher difficulty setting... They don't, they just hit you harder. Like the motion tracker? don't bother using it! Aliens just pop in front you and try to give you a hug. What happened to the most feared monster in the galaxy? They just run at you like retarded zombies. I never felt ANY tension during the campain. (Well, except the stealth level, the only good moment in the campain). The AI is by far the kiss of death of this game. This migh just be a zombie game, it wouldn't make any difference. Co-op is a welcome addition and will definitly spice-up the experience. Provided that you set the difficulty level up, as the game dosen't scale according to the number of players in co-op. Multiplayer is probably the only enjoyable part of this game. Escape mode is fun to play as a marine as FINALLY you are facing Xenos with BRAINS. The motion tracker is usefull again. So yes it's fun and i can see myself playing it for some time... BUT........ playing as a xeno is... HORRIBLE! Wall climbing is by far the worst in ANY alien game i have seen so far. IT'S USELESS! You can't aim properly and perform attacks while you are on the wall. This is THE important part of being an alien, BEING ABLE TO ATTACK FROM ANY ANGLE!!!!! Why choose to make a 3rd person view to avoid people getting sick while wall climbing if wall climbing is broken in the first place? Screw the multiple alien races, an alien that can't climb on the wall properly is a dead alien. In short, they got the alien COMPLETLY wrong. Both in the Campain (Bad AI) and the multiplayer (Wall climbing+ attack is not much of an option). I used to have a lot of trust in gearbox games. But Duke Nukem forever, and now THIS! You have the greatest franchise of all TIME to toy with and this is what you DO with it? I swear, GBX needs to pull itself together. Expand
  19. Feb 13, 2013
    The short version is that IT'S NOT THAT BAD!

The short version is that IT'S NOT THAT BAD!

Main problems are it's too simplistic and lacks polish. But it's no worse than all the others games based on this franchise. There is enjoyment to be had here, but no more so than with your latest Cowadooty game. I'd give this mid-60's rather than mid-40's. It really doesn't deserve the slating it's taken, although it can mostly blame itself for raising expectations so much at E3.
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that had a lot of potential, but ended up terribly. Blame the casual players! This game was supposed to be an awesome survival experience, but to make the game more accessible to a larger public, the incompetent directors of Sega and Gearbox decided to make it a Call of Duty clone. You don't even need to use the motion tracker one single moment on the entire campaign even on the hardest difficulty, because no enemy will ever spawn behind you. But if you can go through the festival of bugs, and the awful ending, you will able to enjoy a somewhat fun shooter with an actually good soundtrack. Expand
  21. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  22. Feb 15, 2013
    i gave it a six out of ten, basically i enjoyed the game, it wasn't until it was pointed out that the game was nothing like what the demo promised i felt cheated a little, but hoping the devs can do something to keep supporting the franchis with animation,Ai and texture upgrades, and hopefully do what Bioware did with ME3 and release some "extended version" DLC cutscenes to better explaini gave it a six out of ten, basically i enjoyed the game, it wasn't until it was pointed out that the game was nothing like what the demo promised i felt cheated a little, but hoping the devs can do something to keep supporting the franchis with animation,Ai and texture upgrades, and hopefully do what Bioware did with ME3 and release some "extended version" DLC cutscenes to better explain the storyline. I hope gearbox, and Randy don't abandon this franchise, it CAN BE MADE RIGHT you can start by releasing a HD texture pack and a lighting overhaul Expand
  23. Feb 12, 2013
    After 1,5 hours of playing i can say that this game is sadly not a horror game I was really hopped for a great horror/shooter. They made the shooter part well, but not the horror part. The story is so typical, a ship send out a distress signal, marines roll in much of the squad gets killed in the first few minutes and only you remain to save everyone ass. The graphics are fine, not toAfter 1,5 hours of playing i can say that this game is sadly not a horror game I was really hopped for a great horror/shooter. They made the shooter part well, but not the horror part. The story is so typical, a ship send out a distress signal, marines roll in much of the squad gets killed in the first few minutes and only you remain to save everyone ass. The graphics are fine, not to shiny not to rusty. The gameplay is just a go from A to B and meanwhile kill Xenos. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2013
    Overall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding andOverall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding and the balance is very good too. And the maps are very well designed too. Expand
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is not bad i see that is better on the pc because the pc versions do not have problems whit graphic.The gameplay is ok you will get scared sometimes and if you play it on a harder difficulty the game gets harder and better.My biggest issue is the stupid friendly AI it is just stupid it lets the xenos kill you without helping but they still help sometimes.The game does notThis game is not bad i see that is better on the pc because the pc versions do not have problems whit graphic.The gameplay is ok you will get scared sometimes and if you play it on a harder difficulty the game gets harder and better.My biggest issue is the stupid friendly AI it is just stupid it lets the xenos kill you without helping but they still help sometimes.The game does not deserve 1 and 4 it deserves a 7 or a 6.6 out of 10 if you do not like aliens you will not like this game a lot but if you like aliens and you have friends that have time to play co-op whit you than thee game gets better.My final verdict is a 7/10 Expand
  26. Feb 20, 2013
    I love this game, it worth every penny I spent. Seriously people, it's not that bad.

Let's look at the problem people are talking about: Graphic Sucks Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3

Let's look at the problem people are talking about:

Graphic Sucks

Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3 before, it's graphic is way worst than ACM, it's story is uninspired and makes no sense at all, but it scores 7.5 on gamespot, really? If we apply the standard people enforce on ACM, every game needs to have Crysis level graphics and big-shot writer script to be call a decent game. But since it's obviously we don't judge a game by it's graphics, than why does ACM gets so much more hate for this?

AI is stupid, no challenge unless play the hardest difficulty

I finished the game on Soldier difficulty, I don't even know where is this opinion coming from, the AI is fine in my opinion. Yes sometimes your AI teammates get stuck on some places, but it's not like it never happened to other games before, and for me it only happens 1~2 times so it didn't bothers me at all. Enemy Xenomorph are fairly intelligent, I heard people are complaining about “They only charge at you, they don't flank you or anything.” I have to say from my own experience, the xenos can move very fast and surround you very quickly if you don't have a good aim, also they pounce at you from a distance sometimes, makes you have to keep pressing E to survive, I say they are fairly challenging. Don't forget the Xenos outnumbering the player by a huge percentage, if they all play hide and seek and being very smart, marines won't have a chance! You wouldn't have a game here.

Story makes no sense, bad ending.

I partially agree with this, the game could use a better story, the ending is a bit abrupt yes, but understandable.(sort of) But even though, I don't think the story is THAT bad, not bad enough to warrant all the hate it got anyway.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the mindset you got when you play the game. If you got all hyped up by the PR, then you probably going to be very disappointed. But when I play this game I walk into it with one simple mindset

”Kill Xenomorph with Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, visit Sulaco and LV-426, experience the scenes from the movie ”

And I got everything I was paying for, so for me, this game rocks, as for people who expected more than this, unless RIDLEY SCOTT and JAMES CAMERON themselves are working on this project, you are expecting too much from Gearbox.
  27. Nov 11, 2013
    There is a lot of hype against this game and I totally understand it people were promised a lot for their money and it was not delivered. But is A:CM really that bad?

I play games since c64, my favorite genre is FPS. I think I played like 80% of FPS games out there. I am also big fan of Aliens and generally sci-fi stuff. I played the latest, patched version. I have to agree that

I have to agree that game graphics is not as good as other latest AAA games. But I cannot say visuals are bad. A little bit outdated yes. Bad? Not at all. I would say graphic is good enough to have this special atmosphere of Aliens move together with sound it made me jump few times. I dont agree that pre scripted aliens are not scary and behave weird they do what they are supposed to do: they crawl the ceilings and walls and they quickly advance at the player (often by jumping) this is what xenomorphs do.
    On hardened difficulty setting you can get killed easily it is not that easy to kill xeno on the wall.

NPC AI is ok, not as good as in CoD or BF but acceptable they shoot things and can draw enemy attention to themselves. but I wouldnt count on them to do your job in the heat of the battle. another thing is that xenos will attack YOU if your soldiers are already attacked by their comrades. In game you will meet enemy human soldiers as well. They are not too hard to kill and act OK. Nothing special but not bad at all.

I wouldnt spend £30 to buy this game, but I got it on Steam offer for £3. At this price it is really good game and all you Aliens fans will love it
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing for a few hours I've already kind of lost interest in the game entirely. I was really excited for this game because I loved the original movies, but this game is pretty disappointing. The visuals are rather outdated, which isn't a deal breaker for me at all, but some of the textures in this game are laughably low resolution. One think I really noticed was how the characters look slightly cartoonish. It almost reminds me of the Jurassic Park video game by Telltale; in regards to the visual style the characters are given. It isn't as pronounced as Telltale's style, but it's still noticeable. The game doesn't have much of a budget for poly count. A lot of models rely almost entirely on textures for intricate details (and do it poorly). Levels tend to have block syndrome as well. As far as the environment art goes, they nailed the old Aliens look pretty well.

The pacing of the story is awkward at times. Missions and cut scenes tend to start and end abruptly. There was one point in the game where I was on the bridge of a space ship and my crew and I watch helplessly as our ship explodes. We stand perfectly still, unaffected by the blast. Then the mission ends suddenly and at the start of the next mission, we're all lying on the floor of the bridge as if the blast had violently shaken the ship we were on, knocking us all off our feet. Very awkward moment. It's not a HUGE deal, but it's amazing how they overlooked this. There's more of it throughout the campaign. There's even a few glaring issues with the core gameplay. Some sites on weapons don't seem centered. Hit detection also seems off at times, especially around cover. If an enemy is behind cover but you can still see a little bit of their body sticking out, it's nearly impossible to hit them. But whenever you take cover, you frequently get hit by random bullets every few seconds. To top it all off, AI is pretty wonky in this game. Your companions CONSTANTLY walk in front of you as you're firing. I blew myself up at least 6 times because one of my allies walked in front of me RIGHT when I decided to fire a shell from my under-barrel grenade launcher. Very frustrating to say the least. This game had a lot of potential and you can even see it when playing, but it just falls completely flat on its face.
  29. Feb 18, 2013
    An average FPS, all the fun is due to the fact that you can enjoy the nice working radar and the good old pulse rifle.
    If you close your eyes you will feel like you're really into one of the Alien movies, but when reopening them you will be really disappointed by the stupid A.I., the poor storytelling and the bad presentation.
    Gameplay would be fun if not affected by all those bugs, the
    Gameplay would be fun if not affected by all those bugs, the enemies act like they're animals, the strategy that you expect from the creatures just does not exist in this game, the human enemies will randomly leave covering position and your fellow soldiers are more a pain in the ass than an aid (the worst thing is that most of the issues could be corrected by a proper debug phase).
    Graphics are 6.5/10, but the use of lights and shadows is light years far from the 1977 masterpiece and some of textures are so much low res for a 2013 game.
    Sound is good in complex, but some audio effects are missing and the music is simply trivial.
    The weapons upgrade system is nice and the unlockable add-ons are well distributed.
    In conclusion, if you are an Alien fan that can close one eye (or two), you will enjoy shooting some xenomorphs.
    Otherwise just run away without looking back.
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    Oh how I wanted to love this game. The campaign for the most part is a soulless, standard FPS with wildly inaccurate guns which make trying to kill mercenaries in cover a chore. The low res textures make the game look dated, attempts are generating atmosphere are a bit hit and miss, the dialogue is nothing special, and the multi-player is a guilty pleasure, but I got to the point where allOh how I wanted to love this game. The campaign for the most part is a soulless, standard FPS with wildly inaccurate guns which make trying to kill mercenaries in cover a chore. The low res textures make the game look dated, attempts are generating atmosphere are a bit hit and miss, the dialogue is nothing special, and the multi-player is a guilty pleasure, but I got to the point where all I wanted to do was play the xenomorphs and got bored whenever I was forced to play as the marines. Leaping around the arenas and crawling across ceilings and walls is mighty good fun, but often the game can't understand exactly what you're doing due to the complex nature of the terrain and your character will start doing donuts a wall or something. At least I managed to pick it up fairly cheap. Meh. Expand
  31. Apr 27, 2013
    Gearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its theGearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its the only way to be sure! Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)