3.4

1. Feb 23, 2013
    After playing you, the feeling is rare. 1) The best of the game is the sound. Guns sound like in the movie. I think it's the best atmosphere achieved (not the visuals is lousy, I got better with the sweet nothing). 2) Graphics cuestinables the time. Safan. 3) AI-sas-tro-za. The worst part of the game. 4) good gameplay and good story (although everything is open to criticism) 5) Final open (and bad?) Which gives the possibility to Gearbox to patch everything bad in this 1st part.
    6) It could have been a great game, but it's like a diamond in the rough. I miss polishing asperities (which people no longer banking). When will they understand? It would have been better to wait 6 months and now be putting a 9
  2. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    Very late, I know.. But let me tell you.

I pre-ordered this game on Steam. All the videos and reviews I heard of this game were pointing to one direction. That this game was going to be great! And with a fairly decent company developing it, Gearbox, I had little to worry about. Boy, was I wrong.

The Aliens in this game are dumb, static and predictable. They always charged for you,
    nobody else and it was always in the same direction. I know there is only so much you can do with A.Is.. But the A.Is from Aliens vs Predator in 2010 where WAY better!

I was very frustrated with this first encounter with enemy soldiers.. It felt like I was playing a poorly constructed, wannabe CoD game. It just didn't feel right running into them so soon.

I'm extremely disappointed with the graphics and the removal of the first scene where you should have ran into the Alien Queen like they showed in their Reveal demo!

The first Boss battle was really dumb too.. Getting into a power loader and smacking at this weird, Brute like Alien.. I died many times on Normal. It wasn't Challenging.. it was buggy and frustrating.

NEVER! EVER! Outsource any part of your game to another company. That is down right stupid and only comes to bite you back in the ass! The blame is on Gearbox and Sega for rushing the game and trying to place the blame on smaller, more innocent developer companies that are less experienced. Trying to kill competition huh?
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    The game is simply amazing, no idea why it get rated this bad, Not tested the multiplayer yet, however the campaign is simply an alien experience. If you are a fan of the saga you may appreciate it, if you are not, this may not be the game you are looking for, however. the fact that you can coop with your friends make the game simply better (for higher difficulties) IA may seems bugged sometimes for lower difficulty, on higher the aliens are simply relentless, as they are meant to be. the story is amazing btw, surely who ever say otherwise is a Alien: resurrection fan :P Expand
  5. Mar 13, 2013
    The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.
  6. Jul 7, 2013
    No comment. Oh, wait. So review has to contain at least 150 characters. Well, then: No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment,...
  7. Oct 30, 2013
    I got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on the fact that there were human enemies beside aliens. Massive let down for a game that had so much potential. Expand
  8. Jul 15, 2013
    OMFG... was this necessary? I've been waiting for this game like hell, and this...

I don't want to talk much: STAY AWAY. This game is a disaster, both technical and artistic... maybe it's in fact the worst FPS game for about 10 years. I just can't imagine what Gearbox was thinking... this game is unnacceptable.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    Yes, this game is arguably underwhelming from the expectations that everybody had set for it but then, what did you expect? The game has spent 7 years in development accumulating hype from a fan-base in what I call the Duke Nukem Effect. The game spent a good portion of it's development indefinitely postponed, and when it came to fixing it up, there really hadn't been 7 years of development put into it. Maybe two at most.

However, this doesn't mean it's a bad game. Sure, the AI is a little dumb and the graphics are mediocre, but then games with similarly poor graphics never really receive the abuse that this has. Campaign wise, yes, the story is... way off for an Aliens game, but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable if you forget the game's relation to its source material.

There are also loads of little references to the film that are nice for fans, and the atmosphere is quite well done the lighting in this is excellent, as is the fact that you can see your own feet and shadow really adds to the immersion.

A:CM is not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but if they can sort out the AI, it'll at least be respectable. It deserves more than it got, but less than the game should've achieved.
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm only going to talk about the singleplayer/co-op campaign.

What it does right: The game level design, sound and music are all true to the license. It has some really nice references to the movie hidden throughout. The graphics are not ground breaking but are good enough. In other words, they set the scene for an awesome aliens game really well.

What it does wrong: It completely
    removes the atmosphere the aliens franchise is known for. There are no moments when your fighting for you life. There are no jump scares. And the aliens do not behave like a dangerous opponent, in fact they spend most of their time walking at a reasonably slow pace with very little climbing on walls and roofs, and are just simple head straight towards target AIs like Serious Sam and just walk mindlessly towards you. Unlike Serious Sam you don't fight hordes of enemies or need keyboard agility to avoid them. In fact you can kinda half be asleep while in heavy combat in this game. The other thing which brings the game down is the fact you can carry all weapons and ammo at once, this basically turns you into a tank with unlimited ammo and in the aliens franchise ammo conservation is an important part of the fear factor.
    Summary: If you looking for an alien fix and don't mind the other species your best bet is still Aliens Vs Predator (The original one not the new one) and its sequel and play through the marine campaign.
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    As a huge fan of the movies I've waited years to play a game where I can run around on LV426 with my favourite characters. The campaign was fun, the whole game is basically Call of Duty meets Aliens, nothing mind blowing or eye watering but decent. (And unlike CoD the the price wasn't £49.99) The multi player is great fun. I have no clue why this game is getting such a low rating, I found one haven't had any issues with bugs, crashes but I have seen the AI do some stupid stuff. However, I'm having a blast with it. I would probably give this game 10 out of 10 just for letting me live out my dream but that would be biased. So a solid 8 from me. Expand
  12. Feb 13, 2013
    Seriously Gearbox? After the excellent Borderlands 2 I thought, it can't be wrong to pre-order another game produced by Gearbox. I was proven wrong. One thing I have learned for sure after this game release disaster: I will NEVER NEVER NEVER ever pre-order a game anymore!
  13. Feb 15, 2013
    i gave it a six out of ten, basically i enjoyed the game, it wasn't until it was pointed out that the game was nothing like what the demo promised i felt cheated a little, but hoping the devs can do something to keep supporting the franchis with animation,Ai and texture upgrades, and hopefully do what Bioware did with ME3 and release some "extended version" DLC cutscenes to better explain the storyline. I hope gearbox, and Randy don't abandon this franchise, it CAN BE MADE RIGHT you can start by releasing a HD texture pack and a lighting overhaul Expand
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    havent played the sp campaign much but the multiplayer has a lot of potential. MP just needs a little bit of tweaking on matchmaking and lag compensation. Host does have a distinct advantage in regards to hit boxes actually registering shots. overall the balance between aliens and marines is very good, neither class feels overpowered. Definitely more fun than black ops 2... not really saying much but what else are you gonna play? Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    My collectors edition arrived today when i opened box i was happy. Collectors edition looks very nice but when i installed the game... I started playng with friend and from the begining i had problem is black screen (bug) i sorted out using forum. When we was playng for few hours i decided this game looks boring for me all the time waves of aliens incoming you just shoots them, balistic looks like in COD very close to it and i didnt like it. I used max setting on video but graphic looks like 4 years old comepletly horrible comparing to new games. I didnt try multiplayer atm but what i can say i expected much more from gearbox. Borderlands series is awsome but making aliens and stoping project then continue again.... in my opinion this project isnt finished yet. They also should add more staff or items better costumization. This game will become borring very soon!!! Expand
  16. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  17. Feb 13, 2013
    O jogo foi feito exatamente para quem fã da quadrilogia do filme Alien! O jogo tem gráficos excelentes e não fica pesado na máquina. Tem modo multiplayer coop e PvP. Quem fala que o jogo tem uma campanha sem sentido ou reclama por não ter servidor dedicado ou por qualquer outra coisa, não sabe o que está falando ou simplesmente está acostumado com jogos de outros gêneros e cai no erro de ficar comparando um jogo com outro. Não comparem o Aliens Colonial Marines com outros jogos, os criadores do jogo fizeram um bom trabalho e estão de parabéns. Joguei toda a campanha em menos de 12 horas e não encontrei bugs, problemas ou defeitos durante o game. Vale a pena comprar. Mais uma vez, PARABÉNS AOS DESENVOLVEDORES!!! Expand
  18. Feb 12, 2013
    Enjoying myself fully after 3-4 missions in the cinematic single player part of this game. Not as scary as the earlier AvP games but a solid SP experience. So far my only real complaint is the scripted pauses where the tracker is not accessible. The unlocks and leveling feels well integrated and solid and adds more game within the game.

Good: gfx, sound, control
    Not as good: Scripted,
    interrupting pauses, tracker feels a bit scripted Expand
  19. Feb 12, 2013
    Ahhh, Aliens. The series that everyone around the world has heard about. There have been numerous games over the years based on the Aliens franchise and to this day, none of them have quite managed to hit that 'sweet spot'. Aliens: Colonial Marines attempts to fix this by plunging you into a world or terror and action, allegedly providing the (quoted from the back of the box), "ULTIMATE ALIENS FIRST PERSON SHOOTER". Although Aliens: Colonial Marines does not quite live up to this expectation, after all, buggy AI and annoying multiplayer glitches have swarmed their way into the game which will hopefully be addressed in a patch soon to come.

Now with that out of the way, Aliens: Colonial Marines, on PC at least looks brilliant. Maybe not the best graphics you could possibly get today, but good, nevertheless. I feel that the game's main strengths come through the tension-riddled scary sequences, followed by the high-octane action sequences, both of which are incredibly well scripted and thought out. Your arsenal feels real both visually and through their sounds, adding to the dramatic feel of the game.

Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is a superb game, especially on the PC. It incorporates the tension of the Aliens movies as well as their thrilling action sequences. This game is well worth your money because although not being a particularly original or 'new' kind of game, it is EXTREMELY fun to play! ***RECOMMENDED***

Pros: Fun gameplay, excellent sounds/music and good level design
    Cons: Lousy AI and bugs (both alien form and glitches)
  20. Feb 16, 2013
    "100% gameplay" demo shown in E3 expo was a lie. Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo
    Other than that Poor AI, Jarring atmosphere and cliche story gives it a 4
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    Thus far i've put around 7 hours into this game and like many others i'm very disappointed. I don't think it deserves all of the 1s and zeros it has here but it is definitely not worth the 50 dollars I spent. Imo this is at best a 30 dollar title IF you're a diehard fan of the franchise. The AI is obviously its biggest flaw, some human enemies will literally stand there indefinitely while I stare at them and the xenos don't do a whole lot other than charge directly at you or in the case of the spitters come to a dead stop while spitting long enough for you to kill them without any challenge. The graphics aren't as bad as some people are saying, they are just dated. They would stand out in 2009 probably. On the plus side I think it has some of the best sound effects in recent memory, at least with a 7.1 headset on. I also actually like the story as well as the pacing although I wish they'd have added more areas where you can't fire or rely on your weapons. This game isn't worth $50 and it may be Gearbox's lowest point thus far, but it doesn't deserve a 1 or 0, I think that is just spite and some people default to those scores automatically without thinking about it or in some cases without even playing the game they are reviewing. Expand
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    The low ratings on this game are unbelievable. I've been playing the game in campaign coop mode with a friend and it has been a great experience. The gameplay dynamics are solid, with good controls. The graphics are decent with great lighting effects. Progressive weapon upgrades add to the experience. The story augments the play. I can only think that the game was released with too many bugs or something for people to rate it so low. We've not experienced any issues, so can only assume any problems have subsequently been repaired. Playing on Steam, drop-in/out connectivity is superb and well integrated. Good solid aliens fun. If you're a fan of the genre, I don't know how you couldn't find at least the current $20 asking price worth of fun and entertainment. Expand
  23. Dec 19, 2013
    I dont understand why this game gets so much flak. Im not even aliens fan, and having bought the game recently i honetly love it. Capmaign is interesting and its great to visit places from the movie. Weapons feel awesome, squadmates shoot and even sometimes kill, and aliens behave like they should crawlng evrywhere, evading attacks and close distances very quickly. Compared to AVP 2010 its a good game. Much mor dynamic and fast and responsive, great atmosphere too.

It feels to me that most people here give over-inflated negative reviews for some reason, well I decided to do an honest one. So to me the game is 9 and I have barely touched the multiplayer yet.(and its fun!)

1. Graphics 7.5 nice atmospheric and lighting effects
    2. Music 9 totally suitable for aliens game(heroic and tense)
    3. Sound 10 sound effects are just great from pulse rifle hissing
    4. Amosphere 10 very very convincing
    5. Story 7. Good but nothing too special
    6. Voice acting 8 solid
    7. Gamplay 9 fluid and plenty of guns/customisation
    8. AI 8 aliens hav very good ai they are very agile ane bhave like animals should. Humans ai is alright as wll, they even flank you if your not careful.
    9. Multiplayer havnt played long enoght to score. But first feel -about 8.

please take in account that I have bought the game recntly so it is a fully patched version.
  24. Mar 6, 2013
    I was one of the fools who pre-ordered this. When I saw the reviews on its release day, I wasn’t expecting a great game but it was worse than I imagined. Graphics from 5 years ago and gameplay from 10 years. It’s not scary, it lacks atmosphere, the weapons feel weak, the AI is atrocious, the NPCs constantly glitch and the animations of the aliens are so laughably bad at times it breaks any possible immersion into the game’s world. And why am I spending more of the game shooting men than HR Geiger’s monsters? I didn’t buy a game set in the Aliens universe to shoot at other marines. The multiplayer isn’t much better. I was hoping that it would be like a cross between Valve’s Alien Swarm and Tripwire’s Killing Floor, both tactical co-op shooters that employ strategy, different player classes, a varied range of weapons and equipment, and which require planning and strong co-operation and co-ordination between players (at least on the harder difficult settings). Instead it’s a poor imitation of the versus mode from the far superior Left 4 Dead. The maps are badly designed, the game mechanics are poor, the controls are clumsy, and there are no player classes and a very limited range of weapons. If you want to play a co-operative game set in an Aliens-like universe then I strongly recommend Alien Swarm, which is a 100% free game available on Steam.

The game feels unfinished and from what I’ve read about its disastrous six-year development it sounds like it was a rush job done in nine months in order to get rid of the project and appease publisher Sega. It’s hard to believe this is the same developer (ie Gearbox) that brought us the excellent Borderland games.
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is by far one of the worst of the year, and i can say that in all confidence even though it's only February. No atmosphere, the WORST textures I've ever seen, a majority of vents and small crawl spaces that aliens sometimes crawl out of and such are actually just black squares, not real vents. Such a poorly designed game it's almost impressive. No effort has been put into this game at all. Do not buy it, especially not for the ridiculously high price on steam. this game would be somewhat reasonable at 10 dollars, but even then, do not buy it. Aliens are too cumbersome to control, the tactical sights on weapons are strangely mis-aligned, the weapon firing sounds are laughable at best. avoid at all costs Expand
  26. Feb 16, 2013
    There is a lot of controversy surrounding this game most notably the blatant false advertising but let me just focus on the game itself here. Visuals and auditory: The game drags you through poorly modeled drab futuristic enviroments where the 3d assets are re-used far too often. Walking through corridors, corridors and more corridors you'll encounter roughly four types of enemies whose animations were apparently motion captured by a frozen corpse tied up with rubber strings. The textures that cover everything look like something I imagine artists send to each other as a practical joke. Lighting and shadows, probably the most important part of an ALIENS game is sloppily put together. Gearbox tried to sprinkle recognizable objects from the movies into the game in order to distract you from how god awful the game looks but that is a bit like drawing a smiley face on a fist that punched you in the face, it is still going to hurt.

Meanwhile in the audio department we have mediocre voice acting, it is not going to draw you into the game any more than the graphics but perhaps that is a good thing. The iconic tension building motion tracker is in the game but only as a curiosity for movie fans since it servers no purpose whatsoever gameplay wise. Music is the only thing I consider somewhat decent even though there are very few compositions and they are re-used too often. Again, sound design is one of your greatest tools when you are designing a game based on Aliens but the creators miss the mark completely.

Gameplay: When you think of the movie aliens do you conjure up images of pants fudging terror and struggling to survive or do you think of a handful of marines shooting for hours on end at corporate goons? The designers of this game seem to have thought of the latter since all you do is run through narrow corridors spraying everything you see with your pick of fast shooting pulse rifle, normal shooting pulse rifle or slow shooting pulse rifle. At the opportunities where the developers could have differentiated themselves from the rest of the flock in the putrid sea of brainless military shooters, stuff like planting turret defences or welding bulkheads shut they just put a scripted event where the maximum amount of player interaction is Hold E button. It feels as if the developers worked hard to puncture any feel of suspense the game might build up by accident so they added immortal AI teammates and flashing RANK UP exclamations (because nowadays the only way you'll get a sense of accomplishment is through gaining points in an arbitrary rank ladder). Longevity: The campaign will at the very highest of difficulty go on for about 5-6 hours and considering how easy the game is I doubt it is even possible to die at normal setting. Anyway you'll unlock all the additional attachments and pointless twaddle about halfway through the story so there is no incentive to replay it. The multiplayer is another peer2peer that I can't imagine anyone will still be playing two months from now. Conclusion: When you make a game based on a specific franchise your customers expect you to at the very least capture a sliver of the mood presented in the source material. Gearbox Interactive is either made up by a bunch of meatheads that don't understand the movies or they just farted out a failed abortion of a game to make a few quick bucks, avoid a lawsuit from Sega and urinate on alien fans. They failed miserably on every single level when making Aliens colonial marines and it is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.
  27. Feb 16, 2013
    Coming from an Alien/Predator fan, this game is a complete disappointment. I waited 5 years for a game that makes DNF look like a masterpiece. I had to REALLY force myself to finish the campaign. What makes this game so bad, you ask?

1- The AI. That damn AI...the worst I have EVER seen. Enemies can't do anything but run straight at you, your comrades will shoot walls in an (obviously
    futile) attempt to hit an enemy: they can't "see" the obstacle! Of course they will shoot through you as well. Sometimes enemies stand still in the middle of a room. Even at the highest difficulty the bad guys are just too stupid and that results in the game being extremely easy.
    2- The plot makes no sense, the character's reactions are completely off and you're left wondering whether the authors behind this were 5 years old fans. It's that stupid. Oh, the ending makes you want to punch in the face whoever wrote this garbage.
    3- No atmosphere. I remember the old AVP1/AVP2. Those games were terrifying when playing the Marine campaign. In Colonial Marines you feel nothing...well sometimes you get angry over how stupid everything is. It's that boring.

These are just the three main issues with the game, but there's a lot more, for example the bad animations and the mediocre (at best) graphics but that's not really something I look at when judging a videogame. There are a few good things, though, like the guns (they sound really nice), one of the levels (although it doesn't last long) and the MP, which isn't horrible.

Overall, this game is extremely bad, and may very well be the worst game I have ever played. If you're thinking "I'll try it anyway because I'm a fan of the Alien Saga" then listen to me and DON'T do it. You'll be even more disappointed.
  28. Feb 20, 2013
    Everything has already been said, but i wanted to add my vote onto the negative pile. For me the problem here is context. My group of friends buy and play a lot of games online as a way of keeping in touch. We often buy games we think arent 'great' e.g. Payday, i bought 4 passes for £12. We played it for a bit then moved on with the overall feeling "We had got great value for a fairly solid game". But, if you put a game into production for 6 years and leak demo's that are misleading. Then try and sell the half baked outcome for top coin when the game graphics/gameplay/AI and mechanics are no better than budget titles like Payday. It makes me mad. I doubt i will ever pre-order another game again. The only silver lining is that this game fails so greatly that there is still a gap in the market for a proper Aliens game. Expand
  29. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is not all its cracked up to be. pretty let down by this one. average graphics, tedious storyline, substandard weapons, cheesy in game conversations. shame could have been so much better!
  30. Apr 5, 2013
    The worst game i have played in the last 2 years. The story is complete Bulls**t and doesn't fully acknowledge the films. The graphics are terrible, even on the PC. The multiplayer is broken and very frustrating to play.

Game Play 3