3.4

1. Feb 18, 2013
    After years of anticipated waiting I was totally let down and should have burned my 50 dollars that would have provided me more enjoyment and entertainment for my dollar.
    This game is chock full of bugs, clipping issues, and stuck enemies. Voice cues will trigger after you’ve already cleared a room. It’s so bad that I was instructed to “cover the right flank” when there was nothing but a wall to my right. In larger arena-style areas, it isn’t uncommon to wonder why nothing else is happening, only to find a bad guy inanimately stuck next to a box just waiting to be killed.
    At least your sonar-style motion tracker will be useful in finding those stuck guys because it’s pointless otherwise. You’ll use it before opening a door, not see anything of concern, then enter and get attacked anyway. But it doesn’t really matter because the xenomorphs are fragile idiots. Their AI is on par with the standard Infected from Left 4 Dead, but now they get to climb on walls. Xenomorphs conveniently ignore any squadmates nearby and come right at you. Sometimes they’ll crawl on the ground, but most of the time I was shooting at awkward geriatric people that should be in nursing homes with walkers.
  2. Feb 18, 2013
    Most of these reviews are garbage because 90% have no clue what actually happened. I've played them from day one even after the graphic fixes this game is by far underrated
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    This has to be one of the worst games ever released for PC. The most honest and true review I found for this game can be found here at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/ Please do not waste your money, time or effort with this game. The AI is so terrible that the enemies/aliens will run away from you or will stand still and let youThis has to be one of the worst games ever released for PC. The most honest and true review I found for this game can be found here at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/ Please do not waste your money, time or effort with this game. The AI is so terrible that the enemies/aliens will run away from you or will stand still and let you shoot them. You take more damage from enemy humans with guns than you do aliens. The level design is horrible, all you are allowed to do is open doors and hit checkpoints. You can literally play this game on the hardest settings and run from checkpoint to checkpoint barely killing anything. This does not feel anything like ALIENS.

The graphics are circa 2005 and use Direct X 9, that's right... the game is very bright, and does not convey any sense of visual moodiness to it, at no point is there anything to shock or awe over as far as eye candy goes.

Factor in that there are terrible bugs found throughout the game, no dedicated servers for a bare bones multiplayer mode and you can easily tell hands down that this is probably going to win WORST GAME OF THE YEAR 2013. But hey dont take my word for it, Youtube a few videos for yourself and see the vast majority of other critics reviews. A lot of good people got fleeced when they bought this game, dont be one of them.
  4. Feb 19, 2013
    Pros: You get to shoot Aliens.
    (That's the only pro of the entire game)
    Cons: -Split screen is horizontal only -Co op doesn't allow 2nd person to save their own progress and character for those playing together at home. -Pathing is horrible for mobs AI team mates, they tend to get stuck -AI is poorly developed and doesn't offer challanges -Graphics were not as advertised and seem
    Pros: You get to shoot Aliens.
    (That's the only pro of the entire game)

Cons:
    -Split screen is horizontal only
    -Pathing is horrible for mobs AI team mates, they tend to get stuck
    -AI is poorly developed and doesn't offer challanges
    -Graphics were not as advertised and seem very dated like 6+ years -System was supposed to be built off "experience" idea. However Experience upgrades are limited and not very imaginative. You get a shot gun, now you have a shotgun with a scope...
    -mobs are cookie cutter and even human opponents tend to all look the same.
    -The tracker pinging for aliens when you aren't looking at it isn't very realistic. Being surprised would be nice, isn't that what all of the movies are about?
    -A map would come in handy.
    -Game is dark and turning up brightness doesn't help at all.

Don't buy this game, and be wary of pre ordering Gearbox games going forward.
  5. Feb 19, 2013
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It's the worst game in terms of gameplay that I've played in the last several years. If you're going to buy this game, wait a few months for it to plummet in price. I'm sure Valve will be selling it for pennies on the dollar soon enough. I've waited for this game for years, preordered based on the demos, and was really looking forward to it. What was released wasDO NOT BUY THIS GAME. It's the worst game in terms of gameplay that I've played in the last several years. If you're going to buy this game, wait a few months for it to plummet in price. I'm sure Valve will be selling it for pennies on the dollar soon enough. I've waited for this game for years, preordered based on the demos, and was really looking forward to it. What was released was a subpar shooter, with below average graphics and terrible netcode. The horror aspect? It really struck me as I realized my friends and I had spend $150 on this game.

I am so irritated about the 3 hours of gameplay in this game and the awful multiplayer that I'm not going to be buying either Gearbox or Sony for a while.
  6. Feb 19, 2013
    Unless they redo all the AI and Fix the terrible story-line, i cant see this as being worth 40 dollars. I strongly urge you to wait and see if the price goes down to at least 20-30$, and even then not go out of your way to buy it.A huge disappointment to all of the aliens fans.
  7. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is great over steam 4 player co-op campaign

DO NOT play this game solo.. it is 100% intended for co-op DO Turn up the difficulty Play hard, play in a group or go home.. fun story, graphics are a bit old but good enough for me for some reason people expected a doom stlye sneaker,, this is ALiens not ALien this is a Marine gun ho shootem up, not a sneaker atmopheric
    This game is great over steam 4 player co-op campaign

DO NOT play this game solo.. it is 100% intended for co-op
    DO Turn up the difficulty

Play hard, play in a group or go home..

fun story, graphics are a bit old but good enough for me
    for some reason people expected a doom stlye sneaker,, this is ALiens not ALien
    this is a Marine gun ho shootem up, not a sneaker atmopheric thriller ACTION! and lost of ammunition is the call of the day

the weapons where pretty poor.. shotgun and pulse rifle is all you need
    this is wont win game of the year, but in a group.. Alot of fun
  8. Feb 20, 2013
    Everything has already been said, but i wanted to add my vote onto the negative pile. For me the problem here is context. My group of friends buy and play a lot of games online as a way of keeping in touch. We often buy games we think arent 'great' e.g. Payday, i bought 4 passes for £12. We played it for a bit then moved on with the overall feeling "We had got great value for a fairlyEverything has already been said, but i wanted to add my vote onto the negative pile. For me the problem here is context. My group of friends buy and play a lot of games online as a way of keeping in touch. We often buy games we think arent 'great' e.g. Payday, i bought 4 passes for £12. We played it for a bit then moved on with the overall feeling "We had got great value for a fairly solid game". But, if you put a game into production for 6 years and leak demo's that are misleading. Then try and sell the half baked outcome for top coin when the game graphics/gameplay/AI and mechanics are no better than budget titles like Payday. It makes me mad. I doubt i will ever pre-order another game again. The only silver lining is that this game fails so greatly that there is still a gap in the market for a proper Aliens game. Expand
  9. Feb 23, 2013
    Gearbox blew it here. This game is terrible. I won't spend a lot of time wasted here describing the problems this piece of garbage has but suffice to say Operation Raccoon City is WAY better, Save your money.
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    This game really hurts because I always had the opinion of gearbox as superb developer. Well, time, a long developing process and some minor dev-studios might be the reason for this but it's still not acceptable. Big fans von the Alien-Franchise and Gearbox himself were disappointed in a big way: Aliens: Colonial Marines manages to create atmosphere and has a great soundtrack, but afterThis game really hurts because I always had the opinion of gearbox as superb developer. Well, time, a long developing process and some minor dev-studios might be the reason for this but it's still not acceptable. Big fans von the Alien-Franchise and Gearbox himself were disappointed in a big way: Aliens: Colonial Marines manages to create atmosphere and has a great soundtrack, but after all there are just to many bugs, ugly visuals and a very short campaign. Only fans of the movie might get some of the references being made but every „normal“ shooter fan should not buy this game at all.

Gearbox, you can do it better and you know that!
  11. Feb 21, 2013
    The AI are just getting more retarded the further I play threw. all you gotta do with the boss is just keep right clicking till he is in a corner then he can't attack back. and the hunters suck as well... they take a whole clip to kill and the bullets don't really have any effect on them they just keep coming at you till they are dead and basically one swing and your done foron top of thatThe AI are just getting more retarded the further I play threw. all you gotta do with the boss is just keep right clicking till he is in a corner then he can't attack back. and the hunters suck as well... they take a whole clip to kill and the bullets don't really have any effect on them they just keep coming at you till they are dead and basically one swing and your done foron top of that sometimes the aliens get stuck underground and there is no way to kill them. alot of times there will be no character movement by the aliens and they are just stiff models moving around....

60% of the time the AI have aliens right next to them and don't do a damn thing because they are invincible why would the human AI care?

Some of the aliens don't actually attack you and they sit there on the ceiling moving alive and invincible...
    some of the cinematic killing scenes don't work properly 70% of the time.. really choppy or missing parts of the scene

the AI just stand in front of the auto turrets and continuously get shot lol..

i played through a very good portion of the game and they pretty much ruined it. I can't list everything wrong with the game but I'm sure you can look for yourself. I hope they start from scratch and remake this game the way its meant to be made.
  12. Apr 26, 2013
    When I first heard of the bad reviews in Aliens: Colonial Marines, that's when I actually started watching Aliens the movies. I wasn't even born at the time the movies got released and I never had much interest in that, but since I've been a gamer since I was a kid, I wanted to like Colonial Marines. I watched the movies, to get up to date with the story, and I loved it. The atmosphere,When I first heard of the bad reviews in Aliens: Colonial Marines, that's when I actually started watching Aliens the movies. I wasn't even born at the time the movies got released and I never had much interest in that, but since I've been a gamer since I was a kid, I wanted to like Colonial Marines. I watched the movies, to get up to date with the story, and I loved it. The atmosphere, the sound, the special effect (by the times standards) were amazing. And that is exactly everything what Colonial Marines missed. There is no atmosphere as the Xenomorphs just come running towards you in stead of lurking in the shadows, the sounddesign is sooo poorly done it barely makes me care about anything that is happening, and the graphics are mediocre at its very best. I decided to give it a 4/10 because this game actually made me watch the movies and made me love them. It could have been an okay 6/10 title if they would have released it as an indie game. Expand
  13. Mar 1, 2013
    I literally felt obligated to warn other people to avoid this game at all cost. I never felt so cheated from a gaming company as I do now with Aliens: Colonial Marines, everything about this game is bad except the rifle modifications and the gun sounds.. thats it.. I literally forced myself to beat the campaign since I love the aliens franchise, but I thought the story was terrible. The AII literally felt obligated to warn other people to avoid this game at all cost. I never felt so cheated from a gaming company as I do now with Aliens: Colonial Marines, everything about this game is bad except the rifle modifications and the gun sounds.. thats it.. I literally forced myself to beat the campaign since I love the aliens franchise, but I thought the story was terrible. The AI in the game is flipping terrible and the graphics are super outdated. I figured for a PC.. I would be able to turn the specs up, but your left with hardly any options. Lets just say that mass effect 1 on xbox has better graphics than this game and the AI was way better also. I took screenshots of all the horrible game design mechanics.. like the companion being attacked by an alien and some how it bugs out and he just stands straight up with his arms out.. while the alien is stuck between him and it looks like the marine guy has a huge alien pen*s. I have no clue why people love the sewer part.. wasn't scary in the slightest and you're telling me the 6 foot hole it makes is to tight for it to come down and kill you while you don't have any guns?? just stupid stuff like that through out the entire game. Please avoid since Gear Box only touched the multiplayer and they outsourced it to small companies to make the single player. Expand
  14. Feb 22, 2013
    I was really excited for this game, it was in development for quite a while but the end product wasn't the best outcome. The AI is TERRIBLE espically your teamate AI's they always seem to get in your way. The fact that a lot of the missions involve you fighting other humans was also a HUGE let down. I mean a little bit of human skirmishes would have been alright but the amount of missionsI was really excited for this game, it was in development for quite a while but the end product wasn't the best outcome. The AI is TERRIBLE espically your teamate AI's they always seem to get in your way. The fact that a lot of the missions involve you fighting other humans was also a HUGE let down. I mean a little bit of human skirmishes would have been alright but the amount of missions that you fight them is ridiculus, The game is pretty fun Co-op wise. P.S The boss battle takes like 2 minutes to beat. Expand
  15. Feb 23, 2013
    Obviously not everyone's cup of tea, however I was surprised how fun this game was, I mean I read the reviews and didn't expect much but I bought it just because I a a huge fan of the movies. I was expecting something not so good but I ended up with a very fun game, especially if you co-op with some buddies. I can honestly say that this game is way underrated, I mean just look at COD blackObviously not everyone's cup of tea, however I was surprised how fun this game was, I mean I read the reviews and didn't expect much but I bought it just because I a a huge fan of the movies. I was expecting something not so good but I ended up with a very fun game, especially if you co-op with some buddies. I can honestly say that this game is way underrated, I mean just look at COD black ops 2 which is a horrible game, possibly the worst fps I ever played and it gets what? like 80 metascore? please give me a break, that game deserves nothing over 50 and I would say ACM deserves about 70 from an objective point of view. Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I made a account just to write the review, This is by far one of the biggest letdowns i have ever experianced, even bigger than the time you find out santa wasnt real. For those that think this is a worthy sequel to the movies are dead wrong, the story is so garbage, and even when you find out about a main character from the Aliens movie about how they got there he says and i quote "Well thats another story" a HUGE slap in the face for fans of the movie. The aliens dont feel like aliens, they run on the walls, jump off and jump right in front of your rifle making easy kills and turning them into cannon fodder, infact i found them to be so stupid i found fighting the mercs more harder, until you reach the spitters, In fact you keep fighting the mercs more than the aliens, WHICH IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO FIGHT IN A ALIENS GAME! There are some positives in the game, One particular mission called The Raven i found to be fun and scary. In this mission you have your guns taken away and must escape a Large xeno which you cannot kill in any means until you reach the end, during this you are chased deeper into the sewer where you find what became of hudson and just after that you find tons of husks of zenomorphs only to find out that some are still alive and very dangerous, you must move silently and quietly through the sewer as these zenos are blind but will explode if they find you. The new guns they have added fit right in the game as if they were always there, the sounds are all genuine and locations are movie accurate...however that does not spare it from the horrible AI from both the enemy and your Ally team mates, not to mention the horrible story which should have never left the planning room, i hate to say this but this feels like a bait and switch if you saw the 2011 demo link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xFSYsy0rk 7:50 minutes in is the best example, when you do get to what could be that point in the game it is nowhere near as epic as shown in the demo.

The only real fun you can have is with the multiplayer, lots of customisation for both marines and xenos, not to mention grusome executions when playing as zeno. However even this is not worth the ammount of money they are asking. My only wish is that they will somehow be able to drag this out of the toliet and give this the love and attention that was shown in the 2011 demo....
  17. Feb 26, 2013
    I've been 50 hours in the game made the second walkthrough on ultimate badass and Ihave to admit that I love this game! Grafically there's a lot worse out there! Aliens Colonial Marines is pure badass Alien and Weyland-mercs shooting....I am looking forward to the DLCs and I hope the patches will get a lot of angry players to the game. It's really worth it. Big Cinema!
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    This game is awesome graphics and game play is fantastic We are starting to go through it a 2nd time co-op because it was so fun the 1st time Best Aliens game ever Thanks Gearbox for your years of work, It's just like being in the movie!
  19. Feb 27, 2013
    They messed it up. I have never been more disapointed in a video game in my life! Several developers worked on this game, for 6 years! How do you mess up so hard? The developers had the fans trust, and they let them down! Dumb AI, useless companions, and most of the game you're fighting Weyland-Yutani. But, there are good sides. The developers nailed the authenticity part, and theThey messed it up. I have never been more disapointed in a video game in my life! Several developers worked on this game, for 6 years! How do you mess up so hard? The developers had the fans trust, and they let them down! Dumb AI, useless companions, and most of the game you're fighting Weyland-Yutani. But, there are good sides. The developers nailed the authenticity part, and the multiplayer is fun enough to keep you occupied. Overall, I'd rather play AVP 3 than this. Expand
  20. Mar 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is unbelievable that people are rating this game a 9 or 10 it blows my mind don't listen to them im sure the majority of them pre-ordered, unfortunate they are making it worse for us all letting the industry get away with this crap, so shame on them. This is just not a very good game.

The story is just bad and i refuse to acknowledge it as cannon. For one it fails to explain major plot holes, and don't even get me started on the ending. A marine from the first movie survives??? what were these guys smoking when they came up with that. Any true alien fan would be disappointing with this game and I believe we expect a certain amount of quality to be involved when it comes to this beloved franchise. Yes expectations where high and rightfully so. The sound is great, love the sound effects like the pulse rifle and others such as aliens dying. The AI is bad and ruined the immersion for me on more than one occasion. For instance aliens standing in front of my AI squad mate for seconds attempting to kill him or navigating around him to get to me or like on most occasions my squad mate just firing his smart gun for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing. The graphics are bad which is something that caught me off guard. textures are terrible and character animation is amateur. the lighting ,one of the most important features in anything alien is mediocre which is extremely disappointing. i could go on but you get the idea just not much of a game here multilayer is better but doesn't make up for the terrible campaign.
  21. May 23, 2013
    I was so disappointed with the games graphics, I was looking forward to this coming out after seeing a preview clip on line, but theirs nothing ,lacks atmosphere and badly designed story line, played for 2 hours that was enough try turning the brightness down- gives it a little atmosphere, better still turn it off completely
  22. Mar 1, 2013
    Don't even bother. This game looked absolutely amazing in the trailer, but like so many others fell flat on it's face. It's a disgrace to mar the Aliens franchise with this BS.

First of all, the pulse rifle doesn't sound right. Secondly, it's over powered. You can tear an alien to shreds by merely showing it your weapon, yet human opponents can take several hits before they die.. duh, ok.

Aside from that unforgivable oversight, the game is VERY boring. Level design is pish, AI is pish, no tension, no action, BORING!!! That's about as much as I'm going to say, as this title doesn't justify the time I've already wasted on it. Gearbox, srsly.
  23. Mar 2, 2013
    I could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to beI could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to be perfecting the "harlem shake". Get this, you can play with a buddy in co-op on the same screen... BUT you can not play verses with them on the same screen... WTH I am so pissed at this game I am writing this review.... I am so pissed that I want my $2 dollars and 10mins back from renting this garbage! Duke Nukem was better! Expand
  24. Mar 2, 2013
    first i would like to say im an aliens fan so i might be bias. The campaign gives you a really good look at the scenes from the movie that fans will remember well even the hole in the ground where Hudson is captured (later found cocooned on the wall) is there so top marks for paying attention to the movie. that said the plot storyline is overall lacking and not convincing and thefirst i would like to say im an aliens fan so i might be bias. The campaign gives you a really good look at the scenes from the movie that fans will remember well even the hole in the ground where Hudson is captured (later found cocooned on the wall) is there so top marks for paying attention to the movie. that said the plot storyline is overall lacking and not convincing and the teammate AI is clunky they don't seem to do much at all. as for the feel of the game gave me a few good frights with aliens jumping out of the dark and facehuggers jumping from shelves's kept me on the edge of my seat. On to multiplayer player hosted servers are a pain but once you get a good group of players you can play for hours with out dropouts the push to talk option should be default on this would eliminate a lot of hassles players game sound coming through their mic. that lack of alien tutorial and single player campaign make for a frustrating first few rounds but once a few upgrades are unlocked i would go as far as to say one of the most fun multiplayer games i have played. having unlocked all the upgrades the multiplayer becomes much more intense the maps are ok some favor aliens and some marines but using the right tactics you can win with both marines and aliens. all in all im giving this game a 9 because it really did give the feel that i was in the movie and to be honest the other franchise fps haven't done any thing to better this as an experience. Expand
  25. Mar 3, 2013
    Although visually 'pretty' the, the game was let down by over-dramatics and odd musical themes. I would be looking elsewhere, probably minecraft for my next gaming fix. Thanks a lot.
  26. Apr 7, 2013
    The game itself is not THAT bad, i would give it 4/10 compared to other current AAA game releases.
    However, the amount of lies and misinformation from Gearbox should be punished so that other companies will learn the lesson from this. Hence the 0/10 rating.
  27. May 23, 2013
    First of all: I cannot play it without Gold membership.
    Second: The gameplay is pure crap
    Third: it copies Left 4 Dead Fourth: It feels like a mentally retarted cat is controlling the AI Fifth: the story has been eatened, swallowed, thrown up, Eaten again, and got dumped in the toilet. Sixth: I was just lucky I got it for a free rental on GameFly.com. I wouldm't bear spending a single
    First of all: I cannot play it without Gold membership.
    Second: The gameplay is pure crap
    Third: it copies Left 4 Dead
    Fourth: It feels like a mentally retarted cat is controlling the AI
    Sixth: I was just lucky I got it for a free rental on GameFly.com. I wouldm't bear spending a single dollar on this.
    and Seventh:
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    I really like the Alien films but it did not make me more fond of the game. When I play deathmatch in multiplayers it was great fun so 37 hours before uninstalling when you meet original kamapnjen after 8 hours so you can say it was worth the money.
  29. Mar 11, 2013
    Is Sega’s attempt at staying “true” to the Aliens Franchise really worth it? Reviewing Aliens: Colonial Marines

The is Back!! The Aliens franchise has been through numerous sequels and mash ups and with the most recent origin story, Prometheus, the series has only become more forgettable. With Colonial Marines, it is now Sega’s turn to take up the banner of this once glorious franchise. Read on to know more about their attempts to make the audience sit back and take notice.

Read More: http://gamingimho.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/is-segas-attempt-at-staying-true-to-the-aliens-franchise-really-worth-it-reviewing-aliens-colonial-marines/
  30. Mar 6, 2013
    My opinion Very poor. The graphics (which do not make a game good) are dire here with textures that seem to hark back to 2006 if not earlier. The campaign is nonsensical with terrible AI on both sides of the player and a plot line that seems to just make things up as it goes along and fail (although promises) to provide explanation. The NPCs, you just end up hating them, especially O'NielMy opinion Very poor. The graphics (which do not make a game good) are dire here with textures that seem to hark back to 2006 if not earlier. The campaign is nonsensical with terrible AI on both sides of the player and a plot line that seems to just make things up as it goes along and fail (although promises) to provide explanation. The NPCs, you just end up hating them, especially O'Niel who is meant to be "your guy". He either does nothing and just watches you battling moronic aliens or when he does shoot he seems to have forgotten his real smart gun and brought along his nerf version utterly pointless. As for the voice acting, lets just say it's bad. I need to go back to the AI again here because it's so poor, so bad, you have no feel at all of suspense or terror. The aliens are dumb (not that you'll end up fighting them much in this game). Instead of the creepy, could come from anywhere alien, they leap into the center of the room and then barrel roll at you allowing you plenty of time to blow them away. If they actually manage to get close enough to you to hit you, they hit you once and then leap away, allowing you to blow them away what's the point?

The multiplayer as long as you're a marine you'll end up ok as the controls are easy and pretty much what you'd expect. As the alien you're completely screwed, the controls don't seem to work and nothing is fluid about it. When I try and wall climb my alien has a fit and I end up being shot for trying to play as an alien!!!

Good points They've got the sound and music right, but was that really difficult?
    - It works. It has yet to crash on me to be fair and everything seems to work the way it was meant too.
    That's it.

There was so much opportunity with this game to offer up something great, the breath new life in to the Aliens franchise, but it was squandered. What could have potentially been Gearbox's best game turned out to be something they don't even seem to want to comment on except blame other developers and Sega. I think I can speak for fans when I say I would have preferred another 6 year delay and a good game rather than this copy and paste COD shooter that contains all the horror and suspense of a jar of pickled eggs.
  31. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a muchThis game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Collapse
  32. Mar 8, 2013
    So this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, andSo this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, and human opposites. Who wants to shoot humans in Aliens game? Shame on you Gearbox! Expand
  33. Mar 21, 2013
    This is NOT a game! Because games are funny and pretty but this game is terrible. Please anyone not buy this game. Sorry Gearbox, not well, so terrible.I think "hah is this a game?"
  34. Mar 13, 2013
    The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.
  35. Mar 11, 2013
    Many of you should be ashamed for black balling this game so horribly. I've had many hours of entertaining game play out of it. and half of you never even picked it up and feel you can review it. 47 hours of enjoyment this game has given me. try and get that at your local bar for 50 bucks.
  36. Mar 13, 2013
    The overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say thisThe overall reviews for this game are unfair. It's not ground breaking, and it feels rushed. But the environments are true to the Aliens series and the game is still fun. The campaign is far too short, but that is the case with every FPS game since MW:2 hit the market. It's worth playing if you're a fan of the original Aliens movie, or if you want to burn some time, though I would say this game belongs in the $29 to $39 range.

The unlocks add an interesting twist, and the weapon mods a little flavor, but I would have preferred more story and less CoD.
  37. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is below average, no question about it. One has to wonder how to mess up a aliens game, but somehow it happened in this case. The action is boring and repetitive, the aliens are not threatening or scary, the story makes no sense and the characters are uninspired. Not mention bugs and lack polish. The game feels rushed. It manages to surprise at parts with good lighting andThis game is below average, no question about it. One has to wonder how to mess up a aliens game, but somehow it happened in this case. The action is boring and repetitive, the aliens are not threatening or scary, the story makes no sense and the characters are uninspired. Not mention bugs and lack polish. The game feels rushed. It manages to surprise at parts with good lighting and interesting locations from the movie. I would give this game a 3 but as a fan of the aliens franchise I bumped it up to 4. Huge disappointment. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2013
    Thats the first and last time I preorder a game. I was never so disapointed like for this game. 49 EUR for a game, that is unfinished and comes with a really lousy graphic.
  39. Apr 27, 2013
    Gearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its theGearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its the only way to be sure! Expand
  40. Mar 23, 2013

I am amazed this even got released in it's current form. There is so much hate and frustration go put in here, but it is covered in the other negative posts. For PC, dont buy this (as of 24/03/13). Patches might make it better, cause I have such faith in Gearbox (and their Borderlands), but in current state it is such a disappointment. In all

For PC, dont buy this (as of 24/03/13). Patches might make it better, cause I have such faith in Gearbox (and their Borderlands), but in current state it is such a disappointment. In all regards.

"2" for somewhat decent encounters and graphics once in a while (very rarely).

(PC)
  41. Mar 24, 2013
    save yourself the frustration and money and buy something else,having pre ordered this i was expecting a reasonable quality game,considering all the hype and pre release videos,needless to say,i was conned.
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle. even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle.
    even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality release should be,and this is just second rate at best.

A:CM to be avoided like the plague
  42. Mar 24, 2013
    Waste of money. DO NOT BUY. Has the story of a fan-fiction, repetitive boring gameplay, annoying bugs, worst A.I ever, and the multiplayer is pretty bad. Entertained me a bit, but not before that experience being ruined by a crappy bug or just getting bored.
  43. Dec 28, 2013
    Colonial marines is example of the player saddening infection of heavy preordering of games makes the games less needy to be polished and well finished.
    The more you preorder, the more you get unfinished games ,
    ruined with business.
    "hey guys finish this one fast, so we can sell another one already"
  44. Mar 31, 2013
    This game doesn't deserve the flak it is getting from reviewers and gamers alike. This game is a niche product that might have had a few pieces that didn't make it to the final product and released with some bugs, but for what it IS, it works very well. The story is not its strong suit but the story in Aliens and the Aliens IP was never that strong, this story continues where Aliens leftThis game doesn't deserve the flak it is getting from reviewers and gamers alike. This game is a niche product that might have had a few pieces that didn't make it to the final product and released with some bugs, but for what it IS, it works very well. The story is not its strong suit but the story in Aliens and the Aliens IP was never that strong, this story continues where Aliens left off and it does it very well. It explains things properly and leaves us hanging at the end just when it seems like we are about to get info on what really happened there, baiting a sequel. JUST LIKE THEY DID IN THE MOVIES. The gameplay is solid and the graphics are decent enough, though no game should be judged on the graphics alone. Certainly some of the higher end visuals were removed in place of what we have now, but paying attention to the demos, they did say work in progress, so what you saw was not to be expected in the final build, buying on that assumption is just plain bad consumerism. Multiplayer is where this game shines and the modes available are all fun to play, the matchmaking may be the worst part about it but once in game, the maps are well made and the action is satisfying. The customization options in this game allow us to make our Marines look and feel the way we want, including our weapon loadouts that don't just use the typical weapons but have additional weapons that fit very well into the universe. Overall, I believe through patching and DLC, this game will easily be one of the best Aliens game in recent history and will be the primary Aliens multiplayer game.

Beware of the rabid masses who feel betrayed by this title, they will do and say anything to dissuade buyers away from this title based on assumptions and half truths. This is a game you will have to see for yourself that it does not deserve the bad press that it has received.
  45. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is not all its cracked up to be. pretty let down by this one. average graphics, tedious storyline, substandard weapons, cheesy in game conversations. shame could have been so much better!
  46. May 13, 2013
    Worst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap inWorst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap in the face for all fans. At least Mutliplayer is good, balanced and makes fun. Even the Co-Op is a joke if you compare it to Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead, Payday The Heist. We expected more tension in Co-Op, but what to expect by such ugly graphics which can´t produce enough atmosphere to let the aliens look terrifying. They feel like no danger and they die to easily. The developers threw them against you like they had nothing else to offer as danger in this game, than hordes of aliens and HUMANS! Who wants to shoot humans in such a boring game? It´s getting even more boring. A total fail. There´s one dense scene though, were you have to sneak, but thats no reason to buy it. Take it from the shelf and spit on it. Expand
  47. Apr 5, 2013
    The worst game i have played in the last 2 years. The story is complete Bulls**t and doesn't fully acknowledge the films. The graphics are terrible, even on the PC. The multiplayer is broken and very frustrating to play.

Game Play 3
    Story 1
    Multiplayer 2
    Graphics -1
  48. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a waste of money and (Alien) license: the game fails to recreate the athmosphere of the series.
    Even if the overall gameplay is not too bad, AI of the game seems not good and the graphics disappointing.
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    Was this one big joke to Gearbox? It certainly comes across that way to me and to think that I have followed this game for more than 6 years; this release feels like a massive kick in the teeth...

Well, I guess we all saw those Randy Pitchford videos where he was creaming in his pants talking rubbish about how he is a massive fan of the Aliens movie that James Cameron directed. Well Pitchford, you should be ashamed of yourself as this game is awful! If you loved the franchise that much, why is this game so S**T? Why did you not endeavour to make this the best Alien game available? All these questions will never get answered and really, we all should have known better because he talked up Duke Nukem Forever as if that was going to be some kind of genre defining game which also turned out to be S**T!

Anyways, what we have here is a first person shooter set after the events of Aliens. The game follows a team sent to find out what has happened to the Sulaco and of course, what happened on the planet LV-426 (although that is not the same location the game goes too, it's LV-244). The game looks like Aliens if you ignore the poor graphics, awful animations and clippings, and the vast amount of bugs. It's funny but the E3 demo that Pitchford again was showing off with such Glee looks nothing like the product I have purchased??? False advertising most definitely as the released version looks 6 years out of date whereas the E3 demo was full of lovely shadows and lighting and had a much crisper visual and colour palette set (looked like advanced current gen).

Gameplay wise, the story is a complete mess. It's hopelessly derived and should have been handled with much more care... where's the love Pitchford??? The guns sound great but feel underpowered. Locations feel samey with textures that are low resolution and adding to this is the minimal physics used on objects within these rubbish environments, the actual feeling of interaction is ZERO. It's just not that great to look at and my god it’s even worse to play.

Enemy A.I consists of over erratic cover seeking morons that pop up and downs three times whilst shooting, then move to a different location, repeat the same process; and then move back to the previous location until you put their idiotic path finding body fodder down. Aliens sometimes move authentically but this immersion is broken once they glitch into a wall or turn 90 or 180 degrees in one motion... Its school boy error stuff and the question of this game getting through quality control is a bitter pill to swallow.

It is hard to pick out redeeming moments from this game to be honest. It is not worth the time or money and unless you are a person that isn’t overly critical when it comes to games, you will have a tough time playing through to the end. With A.I that has the simplest of path finding code, aliens that act like drunks rather than predators seeking out their prey and a story line that is so redundant, you don’t really care; it’s hard to actually want to keep playing this game. The hardest part of the whole process of playing then reviewing a game based on my favourite movie of all time was the fact that I didn’t really have high expectations for it. I didn’t want a 10/10 game… I just wanted to feel like a bad ass playing in the boots of a Marine. Feel the feedback of the Pulse rifle when I offloaded a clip into a dangerous xenomorph. I wanted to seal doors with my hand held welder (you do this but it’s irrelevant and has no impact on the games mechanics) and lock down an area as if it’s a ‘last stand moment’… Using the motion tracker is pointless and is not even needed in game, yet they have included it… WHY? SO IT LOOKS LIKE AN ALIENS GAME!!! Pitchford you’re a fool and so is your team! This franchise has so much quality material you couldn’t go wrong yet you have churned out this disaster! If the game was not very good, why lead everyone down the garden path with the hype videos and e3 demo showing the quality that would never feature in the final product shipped? They should have just cancelled it or gone back to the drawing board…

This game is not recommended 2/10
  50. Apr 16, 2013
    First off, I'd like to say that I miss the absence of ironsights in games. Just leveling your crosshair over a monster and pressing the fire button was satisfying, and made you feel like a badass. Nowadays, firing from the hip is a sure way to never hit your target if you use anything other than a shotgun.

That being said, I'd like to add another preface. I LOVE the Alien and Predator

That being said, I'd like to add another preface. I LOVE the Alien and Predator franchises, and my first true 3D shooter (I don't count Doom as true 3D. It used 2D sprites) was Aliens versus Predator 2. I treasured that game. I played it over and over. When AvP 2010 came out, I almost messed my pants. I loved that one too, but not as much as AvP 2. The one thing those two had in common was the LACK OF IRON SIGHTS. Sci-Fi games that take place in the future shouldn't have iron sights. That mechanic is there to add a sense of realism to the game.

ANYTHING INVOLVING THE ALIENS FRANCHISE IS ANYTHING BUT REALISTIC. So why have ironsights in Colonial Marines? I didn't see anybody using a scope or sights in the movie. They all fired from the hip. So why inject a military shooter mechanic into a sci-fi/horror game? I'll tell you: To cater to the CoD jocks and Battlefield frat boys. I just need to say that this needs to stop. Some of us don't want realism or a cover system in our RPGs (Mass Effect 2 and 3) or iron sights in our sci-fi and horror games (Aliens: CM, Fallout: New Vegas)!

Anyways, that is my main complaint with this game. If there weren't any iron sights, this game would have earned an 8.5 in my books. A lot of people complained about the A.I, and when it comes to squad members, I totally agree. They are dumb as rocks. The Alien A.I wasn't as spotty as some professional game reviewers made them out to be. The lore states that the individual xeno is about as intelligent as an insect. Their tactics and cunning is derived from the Queen, and the further they are from her, the dumber they get. People were expecting that the xeno A.I would try to outsmart them, but the fact of the matter is, Gearbox got their behavior patterns spot on. I went into this game fully expecting the xenos to run blindly into my bullets one after another, in a primitive attempt to make me exhaust all of my ammo so I would be defenseless when the next wave attacked. Guess what? They did. I couldn't be happier.

The human enemies behaved typically enough. Run to cover, lean out, squeeze off a few shots, take cover, throw grenade if I'm in cover, move up closer, flanking, melee when I try to brain them with my rifle. Run of the mill stuff. Like I said: Typical. No different from any other FPS I've played.

Pre-Rendered cutscenes in Alies:CM suffered the same way the ones in Deus Ex: Human Revolution did. They were uglier than the in-game cutscenes and the developers could have made them better by using the game engine instead of the crap rendering they chose to use.

Now for the story and voice acting: The story had more holes than swiss cheese, and the only decent voice actor was Lance Henriksen, the original actor who portrayed Bishop and Bishop Weyland in the Alien and AvP movies. The rest of them sounded like they just got their certificate of completion from the acting class at the learning annex.

Finally, the gameplay. Action packed, sometimes suspenseful, moody as all hell, atmosphere was spot-on. Animations could have used a little more polish, but graphics were very pretty, even on low settings. Glitches weren't very frequent. A few clipping issues here, some A.I pathing problems there, spazzy ragdolls were present (always funny), but nothing game breaking. I didn't experience any crashes, even on launch day (yes, I pre-ordered) before the first patch release.

Weapons felt real, visceral, and powerful. Although there were a plethora of options to choose from, I found myself only using the Pulse Rifle and the Shotgun, only switching out when I ran out of ammo. That brings up a nice feature. Aliens:CM doesn't force you to choose only 2 or 3 weapons. You can switch out to ANY weapon you have unlocked at any time through the use of a quick-access wheel overlay without disrupting the action. I loved this feature the most, because it reminded me of AvP 2, where you could carry all of your weapons at once. Upgrading your weapons is a nice feature, but sadly, you can never upgrade your Pulse Rifle to carry 99 bullets per clip like in the movies and previous games in the Aliens franchise.

I never played multiplayer, but I heard its the only saving grace for this game.

My conclusion: Aliens: Colonial Marines could have been a great game. If there were no iron sights, it would have been a game worthy of Gearbox Software's legendary reputation. Instead, the game soiled it. Gearbox dropped the ball on this one simply because they felt the need to cater to the CoD and Battlefield fanboys. This title is worthy of a $25 dollar pricetag. NOT $60. I would only recommend paying full price if you are a die-hard Aliens fan.
  51. May 1, 2013
    I bought this for aliens, why im a sadled against humans most of the time.
    Why is the AI as dumb as a donkey, why isnt this what they advertised it to be.
    I gave no hoot to my fellow marines in this game cause there so uninterestingly boring.
    And the End boss omg, zero but absolutly ZERO inovation whatsoever.
    What a let down.
  52. May 4, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a great game under any criteria.

The game is set in the same universe and location like the original movies, LV-426, a planet which actually isn't a planet, it's a moon, bigger than average ones. The story is set after the events from the original 1986 movie Aliens. In the game you revisit the iconic locations from the original 2 movies, but in a
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a great game under any criteria.

The story is set after the events from the original 1986 movie Aliens. In the game you revisit the iconic locations from the original 2 movies, but in a different way.

The plot is a very simple one, which relatively lacks of originality. You assume the role of a a Colonial Marine called Christopher Winter, and your mission is to check an SOS left by Dwayne Hicks, one of the main characters in the Aliens movie.

From here it's obvious what's next, you find that the place is infested and you must later fight to survive. Very simplistic.

However, even so, the game's chaotic development leaves his mark. The best citation can be ,,The game sounds like Aliens, looks like Aliens, but unfortunately, it doesn't play like Aliens., IGN. This citation captures exactly how the game is, the level design isn't really horrible, but is not ground-breaking like other games from today's standards.

The graphics are as simple as possible, with simple shadows, banal lightning effects and banal textures.

Beyond the graphic design, the story also draws criticism, it lacks of consistency and it takes only @5-6 or 9(on harder/hardest difficulty) to be completed, so is quite short.

Also the story is very chaotic at some parts, like progressing with no sense during the levels, basically just ,,Shoot the bad guys in this room, then continue playing,, .

And also many people(including I at some points) is like a sort of Call of Duty: Weyland Yutani, and I partially agree here, for me is a sort of a Sci-Fi Counter-Strike. Is centered more on shooting humans than aliens, and more on combat than the story itself.

Again, the story doesn't make much sense at many parts, especially when you find that Bishop and Hicks have survived, but rather than make light, it makes you even more confusing. It's reveal that Hicks was captured and interrogated but nothing more abut how he's been captured. Same with Bishop, where is nothing revealed about how it survived.

In game play and value terms the game is mediocre, is based on one of the best sci-fi horror-thriller movies ever made, but the game is a shame. It captures the alien in banal encounters many times, and the tension suffers.

Is also insufficient in value term, we we're promised a far better game in both story and design in the trailers and E3 demos, but the final product is lower in quality and a lot different, and doesn't stand up at the price as well, seriously, it isn't worth 50$, I'd say 15-20$, but not more.

I also greatly dislike the patches, because they fix things that we're not supposed to be there. Improved the AI to be more aggressive and responsive, added many effects and some graphically redesigned places? Fixed some circumstances in where the aliens could've used erratic animations? This all are bugs and glitches which must have never been in a game, doesn't matter this or other and improvements that must have never be cut. It wasn't able to run on consoles? Then where we've seen the game running in some game plays? This is just a lie, haven't we all seen Crysis? It has ridiculous requirements, but somehow it looks and runs well on consoles, and also has a good replay value and design.

Also the iconic weapons are only used a ridiculous amount of time, only max. 10min. to use the Smart Gun and no more ammo to be found for it? Really?

The characters aren't really well developed as well, you can't describe many marine's personality.

The development was very chaotic, and why put others work on your dream? TimeGate Studios for single player and Nerve Software for multilayer? Why? You said it was your dream and you love the franchise.

The coop as well isn't really awesome included, you can play in the campaign with up to 3 more friends, which I find really cool, despite it doesn't feature additional objectives and locations.

In visuals and performance, the console versions were terribly optimized, by having many visual glitches
    , and unbelievable low resolution textures, cut shaders and several bad effects.

This were the bad parts, but there somehow are some good ones. The weapons sound, look and behave exactly like in the movies, the game has a very well made sewer level where you have no guns and you must escape from the explosive aliens. That's aliens! Very exciting and tensioned.

The first DLC and the multiplayer are well made, despite the multiplayer doesn't feature a lot of maps, but they offer lot of fun and are having a great value.

Excluding the coop flaws, is Drop-In Drop-Out so you don't have to restart a level of some annoying things.

So in the end, A:CM has some good stuff inside, but too many problems, however there are 3 more DLCs so who knows, maybe Gearbox is preparing a surprise for us.
  53. May 3, 2013
    The game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 becauseThe game was better than I expected (Thought it was gonna be as bad as DNF since the game was also stuck in hell for several years). Liked the collectibles and the fact I could carry all the weapons. Enemies were kinda stupid and the companion AI not that good (luckily he didn't get stuck anywhere). Locations where nice. I just wish they put more effort in the game. I gave it a 5 because I'm a fan of the movies and previous AvP games and as I said it could of been worse (like throwing on walls and slapping wall seriously) Expand
  54. May 4, 2013
    The pc version is MILES better than the xbox version and the game can be pretty fun at times. so far the only problems I see can be fixed with patches or in the next 3 dlc packs
  55. May 9, 2013
    I am sure any positive reviews of this game must be fake, it is terrible. I have played it for 90 minutes and every time I try starting it up I am so disappointed that I almost immediately shut it down...
  56. May 21, 2014
    1st mission was average then the 2nd mission shoot the humans a rip off of call of duty THIS GAME I couldnt even finish it by level 8 i threw the game 3 times level 7 was the worst and for a huge fan of aliens people said this game was bad but i didnt listlen and now look were i am A 0 DONE
  57. Jun 3, 2013
    Overall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding andOverall Aliens Colonial Marines is very bland and even boring at times. The graphics are very bad and the gameplay is pretty average. The story is uninteresting but the campaign has some pretty good moments. But multiplayer is where it's at. There are a few game modes to choose from and you can play as either the marine or the alien. Playing as the alien is very smooth and rewarding and the balance is very good too. And the maps are very well designed too. Expand
  58. May 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aliens Colonial Marines picks up where Alien 3 left off. Although this is a game, if you've been waiting for a true sequel to the first 3 Alien films, then this is it. Not only does Bishop make a return appearance, but Hicks as well. The
    cinematic movies after the completion of each stage unravels the continuing story of the Alien Colonial Marines and their run-ins with the weyland yutani Corporation, that does all it can to preserve the Alien species, while the marines
    try to stop them. This time though, not only will they both have to survive the onslaught of the Alien hordes, but they will both be pitted against each other. The story takes place back on planet LV-426, where the aliens have completely
    over-run the now abandoned terraforming colony. Some locations will be familiar to you from the movie Aliens, while others will be completely new. The dev's have done an excellent job of incorporating the atmosphere of the movies into the
    game as if you are really there. Being a big fan of the alien films, I really couldn't find anything in this game to complain about. The auto save feature does make progression difficult if you contiue to die before the next check point,
    but for some reason it didn't bother me that much. There were times in the game where I would recall moments from the movie Aliens where I would have to survive in the same manner as the marines from the movie... setting up sentry bots,
    cutting and welding doors back together etc. All while fighting off swarms of aliens trying to survive and protect my squad. I got that same urgency I got from the films while playing the game. It really hit home.
    If you're a fan of the Alien movies and want to live the next chapter of the Alien franchise then don't miss out on this gem.
  59. Nov 7, 2013
    So you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuationSo you can imagine my surprise when news finally came out that a video game billing itself as a genuine sequel to Cameron's "Aliens" was in development. Unlike most people who have relentlessly trashed "Aliens: Colonial Marines" since its February 2013 release, I feel that I'm somewhere in the middle. I at least thought it looked nice, and it was good to see some sort of continuation however sloppy to "Aliens." The story to "Aliens: Colonial Marines" basically details a war between the United States Colonial Marines and the Weyland-Yutani Corporation's private army of heavily armed hired mercenaries, who are illegally breeding the hideous Xenomorph creatures using captured Marines and innocent space colonists as hosts.

It all sounds exciting, doesn't it? But it does have many issues...
  60. Jun 25, 2013
    Another failure after a DNF. Bad graphics, boring gameplay. The game is appalling for its quality, it is strange that the second project after Duke Nukem Forever has such poor quality.
  61. Oct 12, 2013
    I got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay isI got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay is pathetic, why did they add iron sights to... a pulse rifle and shotguns? What? Why do aliens in this game are slowly moving practice targets and most of the game you will play call of duty in space against random WY mercenaries? Why story progression and delivery is so cheesy and terribly annoying, trying to masturbate in your face with "look at that reference! aren't we awesome and nerdy about Aliens the movie?!". Already dead multiplayer without server browser only matchmaking queue you will never get full. I won't even begin with a ton of scandalic alpha- and betalike bugs. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is a masterpiece compared to Colonial Marines. Expand
  62. Jul 7, 2013
    No comment. Oh, wait. So review has to contain at least 150 characters. Well, then: No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment, No comment,...
  63. Jul 21, 2013
    The game as-is is not too bad, worth playing for the fans but I can only recommend if on a cheap deal. AI is terrible and graphics should be better, feels like a game from years before hand.
    Most users give hate due to the gameplay demo shown at E3 but the final product is a huge let down and verging on a con.
    The DLC saves the game if you like multiplayer but you have to buy them but
    The DLC saves the game if you like multiplayer but you have to buy them but you shouldn't have to throw money at a bad game to make it playable.
    The later patches have improved it a lot but not saved it completely.
  64. Aug 13, 2013
    The game sposed to be a alien game... but the game hasn't got almost anything about aliens... They took the alien lisence and make it a call of duty rip off. The game had worked for 3 years on this game and thats what they sucseeded so far? The only part I like was those alien focus part... you don't even need to shoot anything whole game exept at the final boss you can just run the WHOLEThe game sposed to be a alien game... but the game hasn't got almost anything about aliens... They took the alien lisence and make it a call of duty rip off. The game had worked for 3 years on this game and thats what they sucseeded so far? The only part I like was those alien focus part... you don't even need to shoot anything whole game exept at the final boss you can just run the WHOLE LEVEL while you are playing on recuit. and even in exterame mod it doesn't changes a lot... Expand
  65. Jul 22, 2013
    This game seems really unpolished when it comes to mechanics. The aliens are derpy and often turn around and jump over crates when completely unnecessary, but when they get to you they pack an annoyingly powerful punch. if something is fast it should not be strong, two or three hits later and you're nearly dead. the aliens clip through the ground, glitch out so they're behind you, and areThis game seems really unpolished when it comes to mechanics. The aliens are derpy and often turn around and jump over crates when completely unnecessary, but when they get to you they pack an annoyingly powerful punch. if something is fast it should not be strong, two or three hits later and you're nearly dead. the aliens clip through the ground, glitch out so they're behind you, and are far too challenging to be fun. but the aliens aren't the worst part, oh no, its the other marines that are the problem. their AI sucks, they do way to much damage, they can blind-fire, and if you try to take cover, they run up behind you and shoot you from behind. but you wouldn't know they where coming because you cant see over cover. seriously, the only way to shoot enemies is to stand up and expose half your body. but they also find ways to shoot you through cover, if you're behind a covered handrail, they'll shoot at your feet. seriously though, this is one of the only games i couldn't play because of how bad it is. i'm really reluctant to go back to playing this. Expand
  66. Jul 28, 2013
    Ok let’s start from the beginning, I am aware of the negative reviews this game has, especially regarding graphics, clumsy AI and bad textures. Well everybody has their opinion and here is mine…
    In a few words: the game is awesome, so fun to play, amazing in coop, scary as hell sometimes… should you buy it? Yes! Get it on a sale!
    Now if you want to know more about specific details, then
    Now if you want to know more about specific details, then then read my full review below:
    •If you are an aliens fan, then you are gonna love this one, it stays true to the original saga, if you are not an alien fan then probably you are not going to like this game very much and you should get another kind of “Alien” FPS like Crysis or Bulletstorm, but if you liked the original movies you are gonna love how this game is full of references and follows what happens in aliens (2) movie and fits very well in the story, I watched the movie again to see a few things and they did a great job with details, for example: when you find the abandoned automatic turret guns they left in the movie you notice there are 10 rounds left in one of them… just like the movie. The details are everywhere! They even used the original actors’ voices like Lance Henriksen doing Bishop’s.
    •The AI I noticed some strange behavior in the aliens sometimes, but it’s not game breaking, actually the aliens are aggressive and agile and they move just like in the movie, so get ready for some scary moments (they will come out from the walls, ceiling and floor, the motion tracker adds extra suspense!) and great battles (including that cargo robot Ripley used in the movie)
    •The graphics/ textures To be honest they are not outstanding, but if you can max them out they will look nice and better than console versions. Now if you are looking for the next crysis or battlefield then look somewhere else.
    If you are ok with games like L4D then you should be fine and also the physx are nice too, you will get a tense atmosphere as if you were in the movie.
    •Coop is super fun and exciting! I love coop FPSs and considering there aren’t many this one is a good option.
    Yeah Borderlands 2 is way superior in everything, but I got my ACM on sale during the summer event on steam so if you can get it on a 75% off sale It’s a great buy!
  67. Aug 2, 2013
    Długie powstawanie gier często(nie zawsze!) nie wpływa pozytywnie na ich jakość. Taki przykładem jest właśnie Aliens: Colonial Marines który zapowiadał się ciekawie a po wyjściu na światło dzienne został zniszczony przez recenzentów że musiał szybko wracać pod ziemię. Fatalna grafika, kiepska grywalność, bugi, niedopracowanie gry, głupie AI, nudne pomysły, nie wykorzystany potencjał toDługie powstawanie gier często(nie zawsze!) nie wpływa pozytywnie na ich jakość. Taki przykładem jest właśnie Aliens: Colonial Marines który zapowiadał się ciekawie a po wyjściu na światło dzienne został zniszczony przez recenzentów że musiał szybko wracać pod ziemię. Fatalna grafika, kiepska grywalność, bugi, niedopracowanie gry, głupie AI, nudne pomysły, nie wykorzystany potencjał to jedynie połowa z wad które można wstawić temu wybrykowi. Twórcom udało się chodź odrobinę uratować sytuację robiąc chociaż po części nawet(tylko nawet!) ciekawy klimat, który i tak został strasznie nie wykorzystany. Nawet jak dla fana kosmicznej serii o Obcych to tytuł który powinno się omijać z daleka. Moja ocena 4/10 Expand
  68. Aug 4, 2013
    With the 3.8gb patch to fix the graphics the game is very enjoyable. People who purchased the game should give it another try with the patch. The theme music during intense game play gives you the aliens feel to the game. Too bad Gearbox did a screw job on the people who 1st bought it. I got mine and my brother's copy on sale and it's worth every penny.
  69. Aug 7, 2013
    This game have very bad realization. Gearbox do the swindle and deceive about final quality of this game. All aspects of gameplay are bad. Particularly disappointing is slipshod animation of aliens.
  70. Aug 24, 2013
    Perhaps this is the best game in the universe Aliens. Battle scene in the style of the film by James Cameron. Beautiful graphics (on a PC), intense gameplay. This old-school shooter in the tradition of Halo and Half-Life. Interesting and clever intelligence of enemies, especially the behavior of the aliens. Hurricane multiplayer with great tactical capabilities, multiple modes ofPerhaps this is the best game in the universe Aliens. Battle scene in the style of the film by James Cameron. Beautiful graphics (on a PC), intense gameplay. This old-school shooter in the tradition of Halo and Half-Life. Interesting and clever intelligence of enemies, especially the behavior of the aliens. Hurricane multiplayer with great tactical capabilities, multiple modes of multiplayer game. After the release of all the DLC and patches, the game deserves the highest marks! Highly recommend it! Especially fans of the franchise. Expand
  71. Sep 7, 2013
    To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up.To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up. Overall it's a bland game in which you shoot weapons that doesn't really feel like weapons, at enemies that merely keep scrambling and charging at you with little AI to speak of.

The gameplay and graphics are both one generation behind. You won't want to play Aliens colonial marines when you could have spent about the same amount of money on other top-of-the-line shooters like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3.
  72. Aug 29, 2013
    I had extremely low expectations going in for this game. After being patched and out for a while, I figured five bucks wasn't a big risk but it was a complete waste. The graphics are horrible, might be passable four or five years ago, but they're really bad and even the art style is bad. The gameplay is worse...The first alien I encountered sort of just sat there with his back turned to meI had extremely low expectations going in for this game. After being patched and out for a while, I figured five bucks wasn't a big risk but it was a complete waste. The graphics are horrible, might be passable four or five years ago, but they're really bad and even the art style is bad. The gameplay is worse...The first alien I encountered sort of just sat there with his back turned to me while I shot him dead. The AI really is awful, your teammates are pretty useless. Aliens swarm at you in massive numbers, die easily, and look they've been hit by paintballs as they lie dead. I love the Aliens setting and thought I would give it a chance, but I can't even bring myself to play it, it's simply not fun at all. Expand
  73. Aug 31, 2013
    Easily one of the most disappointing games of 2013, I am a huge fans of Aliens and I couldn't wait to play this game when it got announced many years ago. When I played this game I was greeted with terrible graphics, boring gameplay, horrible A.I and boring story. I just can't believe that FOX has approved this and made it canon to the film! What a joke.

On the bright side, The

On the bright side, The multi-player was fun while it lasted, Shame really as Gearbox seemed to care more about the online gameplay than the actual campaign.

If you REALLY want to play this... Well you know what to do.
  74. Sep 1, 2013
    Here is a Fan of the movies to review the game. I've played quite a few hours of this game and loved every one of em. There is a challenge to it though. But as far as gameplay I'm happy that it feels like a movie and less like a game. The graphics are around average, but, I don't just play a game cause it is shiny. This game has meat on its bones and deserves a little bit more respect forHere is a Fan of the movies to review the game. I've played quite a few hours of this game and loved every one of em. There is a challenge to it though. But as far as gameplay I'm happy that it feels like a movie and less like a game. The graphics are around average, but, I don't just play a game cause it is shiny. This game has meat on its bones and deserves a little bit more respect for trying to show us the missing bits from Aliens to Alien3. Expand
  75. Feb 11, 2014
    Aliens Colonial Marines is NOT a bad game. It's a solid FPS, with great atmosphere, and artwork. I love the whole system, really. There is a few problems, (for example: the ai is stupid sometimes, few bugs), but thats it! The graphics is okay, i dont care about graphics actually.
    And on my low end system, it runs really fine.
    I purchased from the store, and there is no regret in me.
  76. Apr 13, 2014
    Game is hard as hell but being an aliens fan its the challenge that i love best game so far. cant wait for the new one isolation.i love ripley and if this new one comes out i will definitly be excited its her daughter which i didnt know she had.
  77. Oct 29, 2013
    the only thing that actually was fun was the multyplayer, but even that has annoying bugs(invisible walls, wall climb going to on ledges, etc). Single player is boring as hell, definitely not worth the time specially with the retarded story it has going for it and an ending so poorly done that it makes me cringe. Bugs every where in single as well. What ever happened to this game i don'tthe only thing that actually was fun was the multyplayer, but even that has annoying bugs(invisible walls, wall climb going to on ledges, etc). Single player is boring as hell, definitely not worth the time specially with the retarded story it has going for it and an ending so poorly done that it makes me cringe. Bugs every where in single as well. What ever happened to this game i don't actually know but it is quite far from what we have been presented in the demos.(beside the graphics and quality, there is no smart AI as promised just a few lumps of single minded charging dummies that get stuck sometimes in invisible walls or different objects in the environment scenes showed in the demo are not found in the game, the pulse rifle shot sound seems to be unfinished, and so on...) This game screams unfinished at every corner. It is an insult to any one out there who actually paid for it. this game and the people who ****ed us over. Expand
  78. Oct 30, 2013
    I got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on theI got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on the fact that there were human enemies beside aliens. Massive let down for a game that had so much potential. Expand
  79. Nov 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People have made this game look like an absolute waste of time. well, it wasn´t! I loved it, it felt simply amazing standing in LV-426, the game started off the strangest way, making me fight against wey-yu soldiers since the beginning (certainly wasn´t expecting that) but it soon returned to killing aliens everywhere... it made every different alien class play an important role in the game, the main character was pretty awesome... lighting and sound efects where AWESOME!!... and the script was generally awesome, the only thing I didn´t like about it, was that most of the game you´re rescuing someone, or you´re getting rescued.... it´s okay rescuing people, but having to rescue the same character twice it´s not that cool. anyways, the AI was bad, your teammates are idiots and the aliens are a little predictable, but the atmosphere of the game has a pretty amazing job, so it doesn´t feel repetitive at all. I´d give it an 80, but since everyone is about it, I´ll give it a 100. Expand
  80. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is Über crap. Pre-ordered the game. Biggest letdown of the year. graphics are outdated and gameplay is boring. No scares at all.. Don't waste money on this..
  81. Nov 20, 2013
    Things I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but itThings I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but it lacks on effort and work in its game. Expand
  82. Nov 25, 2013
    Well I thought the game was fun, lol it wasn't scary I've never thought games are scary though... but graphically it was good. I did beat it in 8-9 hours though that is way to short I keep reading complaints about AI not helping enough, I play the game by myself and don't rely on AI to play it for me lol so the whining about AI assistance is pointless, and xeno attacks on main characterWell I thought the game was fun, lol it wasn't scary I've never thought games are scary though... but graphically it was good. I did beat it in 8-9 hours though that is way to short I keep reading complaints about AI not helping enough, I play the game by myself and don't rely on AI to play it for me lol so the whining about AI assistance is pointless, and xeno attacks on main character is understandable, since AI is useless lol. ANYWAY its a cool game I'll play it again! Expand
  83. Jan 15, 2014
    This game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in aThis game...is strange. I suppose that everyone expects high results from the shooter, with crazy things happening. Well I did not. I was scared to death, I was inside the story, I understood what was going on, I liked the approach. I enjoyed the damn game. It has its downsides don't get me wrong, the AI lacks of intelligence and sometimes you feel to be in a frag fest rather than in a survival horror. But I liked it. It's like Duke Nukem, everyone wanted something badass...they gave us something badass and trashy as DUKE NUKEM is, it's just the taste of gamers that have changed. As they did with this title.

Multiplayer IMHO is to dump, just remain on the single player campaign and enjoy it.

This doesn't mean that if they did what they promised the game would have been SO MUCH BETTER.
  84. Nov 27, 2013
    This is a last generation game that tries to use basic tools to create an experience worthy of the alien franchise. Game technology has moved on, so it falls short of expectations. However, it makes what I feel to be a very strong attempt at putting the gamer in the position of a marine living the Alien storyline.

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments

In detail, the story is strong, placing the gamer in all the environments of the alien story, although no new ones. Close knit corridors, spacecraft and rocky planet surfaces. The enemies you face are varied both in type and species, meaning that combat is mixed up nicely. You also progress with a set of likeable comrades, which prevents the game becoming 'lonely'.

However, as a game coming out close to 'crysis'. It really doesn't match up. The graphics are average and the AI is pretty weak, especially for allies that occasionally get lost.

I enjoyed this game, but it suffers from a poor technological footing and the resulting failure to meet expectations.
  85. Nov 28, 2013
    The people who rated this game have no knowledge of the alien universe this game is really good ,and has great multiplayer an awesome campaign following the aliens moves story line and deserves at least an 80, this is a good game and the people who rated it low don't know what they're talking about. In fact if you bought it for 10 dollars that's like getting black flag for 20. This gameThe people who rated this game have no knowledge of the alien universe this game is really good ,and has great multiplayer an awesome campaign following the aliens moves story line and deserves at least an 80, this is a good game and the people who rated it low don't know what they're talking about. In fact if you bought it for 10 dollars that's like getting black flag for 20. This game deserves better and you can help it get there. Expand
  86. Jan 4, 2014
    The only worthwhile part of this game is the online multiplayer which I can best describe as flawed but fun, however the issues including the fact that the games are only 5 V 5 at most will bore most people quickly. I have had a lot of fun playing it but I can't really recommend it, I mainly like it because Marines versus Aliens is very different from other games I usually play online suchThe only worthwhile part of this game is the online multiplayer which I can best describe as flawed but fun, however the issues including the fact that the games are only 5 V 5 at most will bore most people quickly. I have had a lot of fun playing it but I can't really recommend it, I mainly like it because Marines versus Aliens is very different from other games I usually play online such as Halo 4, Gears of War 3 and Battlefield 3.
    The single-player campaign is worthless and if you are an Aliens franchise fan and were hoping to see a true sequel to Aliens you will only be disappointed and probably pissed off.
    This game was clearly falsely advertised.
  87. Jul 5, 2014
    I have tried to like this game on the PC but to be honest I thought it was sub standard. I have the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010 which I think is graphically better, more atmospheric, has higher levels of tension & better level design than Aliens Colonial Marines even though this is a newer game. I have now uninstalled the travesty that is Aliens Colonial Marines. I am hoping that theI have tried to like this game on the PC but to be honest I thought it was sub standard. I have the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010 which I think is graphically better, more atmospheric, has higher levels of tension & better level design than Aliens Colonial Marines even though this is a newer game. I have now uninstalled the travesty that is Aliens Colonial Marines. I am hoping that the new Alien Isolation game is a good one when it's out later this year. Expand
  88. Sep 30, 2014
    This game gets way to much crap than it deserves because I enjoyed playing the game. But... The A.I. was god awful, the characters weren't that likeable, and the level design was repetetive and dull. But the game had some good qualities like amazing backgrounds, cool scenery, and pretty decent graphics and cool guns. I would give it a 5/10 (average/mediocre).
  89. Jan 9, 2014
    I really can`t understand all those bad Ratings. I enjoy the game, like the gameplay and the atmosphere !
    Even the graphics are not the best I have seen, the game looks good.
    The only thing to complain ist the fact, that there is no quicksave.
  90. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  91. Jan 28, 2014
    Today, after all patchs and with 3 friends in coop mod, in hard difficulty, it's a real good game! Ok the first release wasn't finished, but currently this game deserves a better rating...
  92. Feb 11, 2014
    To me this game is average. The graphics sure are awesome, but the gameplay and the entire horor feel were not there. was it fun? yes at some points. but for the most part its call of duty but with aliens.
  93. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fair to middlin' time for a bug hunt. Voice acting was abysmal, and the story had potential that it never reached. Only the Prometheus easter egg really lent any interest. Patches released post-release fixed the game and took it from a complete failure to a crippled mess. Whilst shooting and running from Aliens is a blast, its sad that the toy that came with the game as garnish is better than the game itself (if you pre-ordered the collector's edition). Expand
  94. Jun 20, 2014
    Playing this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not allPlaying this game for the first time, knowing the story behind it, after the hype and the fuss has been and gone, is an interesting experience indeed. Looking at it from a gamer's perspective, irrespective of the hype or the overwhelming negative reviews, a lot of the hate for this game just seems to be arbitrary - having played it, I now know what it's like, and to be frank it's not all that bad. It's not a AAA game, but it's far from being a BAD game - matter of fact, Gearbox did a pretty good job given the short time frame they had to fix it up. The controls are solid, the gameplay's relatively entertaining, the only thing that irritated me was a glitch that caused the game to relaunch every time I wanted to quit it. In all honesty, if it weren't for the hype, I reckon reviews for this game would've been mixed to positive. It isn't a bad game. It may not be the best, but it isn't bad by a long shot. If you've never played it, but heard of its infamy, maybe you should give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  95. Nov 12, 2014
    a lot of glitching in this game the Sega did a really terrible job making the great effects for this game , the aliens need to improve especially when they die it's not gore the characters are not using their brains really Brad Thompson !!!!!!!!!!!! do you take us gamers seriously call of duty ghost did not take us seriously now your a bad writer you have no taste or you never understanda lot of glitching in this game the Sega did a really terrible job making the great effects for this game , the aliens need to improve especially when they die it's not gore the characters are not using their brains really Brad Thompson !!!!!!!!!!!! do you take us gamers seriously call of duty ghost did not take us seriously now your a bad writer you have no taste or you never understand for classic movies like Ridley Scott's alien and James Cameron's Aliens. Grade C- Expand
  96. Apr 16, 2014
    Mind numbingly bad frame rate, PS2 quality graphics, bad writting, horrible AI, lame story, fully linear gameplay, and beyond boring characters. Aliens: Colonial Marines is without a doubt one of the worst games of 2013 and quite possibly one of the worst so far in this decade.
  97. Mar 20, 2014
    Its broken, down right unplayable alone, and it looks like it was made in 2007. My feelings for this game range from anger to sadness. Anger due to the fact that it was a flat out lie and sadness due to its potential as an awesome game turned trainwreck.
  98. Mar 25, 2014
    i'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had toi'll admit the campaign in this game was really bad, but have you played the multiplayer. i watched a lot of youtube reviews on this game and its all about the campaign, and they barely even mention multiplayer. The mulitiplayer on this game was insane fun, it was where the legit scary survivalness part of you kicked in because you had no idea where the xenos would come from, you had to use your motion tracker. but since this game bombed in reviews, it takes like 30 min. to find a game because nobody plays it anymore Expand
  99. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is terrible. From the broken A.I. to the dozen glitches you'll encounter when you play this game (you probably don't want to), this game should be avoided at all costs.

I chose to review this version of the game over the PS3 version even though I played both versions. I chose this version because the graphics should be improved on PC right? Wrong. The PS3 and PC versions look ALMOST identical and that is something not be proud of.

The graphics may not be the most important thing, but the same goes for the gameplay. The gameplay is terrible and like I said, has tons of glitches and a bad A.I. that sometimes blocks your way because it is running in circles.

Obviously this game is unpolished and unfinished. I would give this a 0 on the spot, but this game went through development hell and switched studio after studio. I wouldn't bash Gearbox for taking the credit of this game, as they have released gems before such as Borderlands 1 and 2. SEGA rushed Gearbox to complete the rest of the game after the last studio quit.

I just wish they would have kept the graphics and gameplay that we saw in the demo 2 years ago.
  100. Mar 15, 2013