3.4

1. Feb 22, 2013
    I think i should rate it at 4,a good point is how this game was released after being cancelled thats first one...Co-Op mode was fun,and the sound effects are really nostalgic,especially the Pulse Rifle and the ALIENS ,Multiplayer are amazing and last thing is the Environment of the game was cool.Ok,the bad point...the AI is stupidly bad,either Enemy or Ally...i don`t know but its broken in every possible way.If you try to play Soldier Level alone,Don`t.The graphics are low-detailed even on MAXED detail.The story,well its uninspiring and dissapointing at the end of the story.There are Aliens vs Predator 2010,and even better than this.This is 2013 game,its like game from 2007. If you tend to buy this game,just stay avoid this game. Expand
  2. Jul 15, 2013
    OMFG... was this necessary? I've been waiting for this game like hell, and this...

I don't want to talk much: STAY AWAY. This game is a disaster, both technical and artistic... maybe it's in fact the worst FPS game for about 10 years. I just can't imagine what Gearbox was thinking... this game is unnacceptable.
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    After 7 hours of playing I will have to write now or never. Some may complain that I haven't given the game a chance. You know what? It's not going to get any more than these 7 hours out of me and in retrospect that's probably 2 or 3 hours more than this game deserves. A dull traipse through badly designed levels with "rent and idiot" characters and so little in the way of gameplay above "it moves shoot it" that it might as well be Quake with better graphics. The difference being of course, that every game must be taken in context, and of it's time Quake was innovative and excellent but that time was 17 years ago. I was temped to give this a zero just becasue I'm so cheesed off as a massive Aliens fan. Why buy the rights to an iconic franchise and do this? Why Gearbox WHY? I got nervous when they said they were removing the single player squad system to make the game "more accessible" (i.e at best "dumbed down" at worst "we couldn't be bothered or don't have the skill to implement a system like this") But this game is just so DULL. It doesn't crash, the graphics are ok the sound, though taken from 26 year old samples it seems, is very good but that's the best I can say about the game. The old samples used for gunfire polish up well considering how old they are. That really is the best I can say about this game. The gameplay is as generic as "Jenny Generic and her Generic Geriatrics" cut and paste gameplay that is soooooooo old. How could this game have taken more than 6 months to cobble together from exising gameplay mechnics with a new lick of GFX on top? Anyway I'll give it 1 out of 10 which is 2 (yes 2... I considered minus one but I couldn't push the slider back that far) more than I wanted to give it 10 minutes ago. Expand
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    Ok for a start this game has terrible AI and its very much noticed on Mission 2 the most(1 mission out of 11). The games Graphics are Fine..Omg the amount of people moaning about the damn graphics its sending me crazy.(GFX are about the same as COD on the PC).

I have have played upto Mission 6 and i'm super enjoying it for sure i can not see what the problem is. The multiplayer is truly
    fun (team Death-match and survivor). Marines play completely fine to me but the Aliens are very clunky BUT after a few hours you do start to get a hang of it (upgrades help alot with speed and power)

What im tryin to say is i cant see what the problem is with this game apart from Bad AI and OK graphics and a 7hour Single player. The reviews have been well to harsh i say. My score 6.8/10
  5. Nov 11, 2013
    There is a lot of hype against this game and I totally understand it people were promised a lot for their money and it was not delivered. But is A:CM really that bad?

I play games since c64, my favorite genre is FPS. I think I played like 80% of FPS games out there. I am also big fan of Aliens and generally sci-fi stuff. I played the latest, patched version.

I have to agree that
    game graphics is not as good as other latest AAA games. But I cannot say visuals are bad. A little bit outdated yes. Bad? Not at all. I would say graphic is good enough to have this special atmosphere of Aliens move together with sound it made me jump few times. I dont agree that pre scripted aliens are not scary and behave weird they do what they are supposed to do: they crawl the ceilings and walls and they quickly advance at the player (often by jumping) this is what xenomorphs do.
    On hardened difficulty setting you can get killed easily it is not that easy to kill xeno on the wall.

NPC AI is ok, not as good as in CoD or BF but acceptable they shoot things and can draw enemy attention to themselves. but I wouldnt count on them to do your job in the heat of the battle. another thing is that xenos will attack YOU if your soldiers are already attacked by their comrades. In game you will meet enemy human soldiers as well. They are not too hard to kill and act OK. Nothing special but not bad at all.

I wouldnt spend £30 to buy this game, but I got it on Steam offer for £3. At this price it is really good game and all you Aliens fans will love it
  6. Apr 16, 2013
    I was so looking forward to this title telling my friends finally there's gonna be an Aliens game sequel showing the footage from E3..Seeing there's co-op on the mission we couldn't wait to be in the boots on the ground finding what happened to the Sulaco marines..I bought the game and the DLC thinking expensive but this so gonna be worth it...Then finally its a piece of crap so let down man the graphics on AVP 2010 were more better than this pile of stinking crap..Lets see Randy Pitchford carter burke and gearbox weyland yutani now i know how ripley and the crew of sulaco felt when the got back stabbed by burke and weyland and left to die... Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    Yes, this game is arguably underwhelming from the expectations that everybody had set for it but then, what did you expect? The game has spent 7 years in development accumulating hype from a fan-base in what I call the Duke Nukem Effect. The game spent a good portion of it's development indefinitely postponed, and when it came to fixing it up, there really hadn't been 7 years of development put into it. Maybe two at most.

However, this doesn't mean it's a bad game. Sure, the AI is a little dumb and the graphics are mediocre, but then games with similarly poor graphics never really receive the abuse that this has. Campaign wise, yes, the story is... way off for an Aliens game, but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable if you forget the game's relation to its source material.

There are also loads of little references to the film that are nice for fans, and the atmosphere is quite well done the lighting in this is excellent, as is the fact that you can see your own feet and shadow really adds to the immersion.

A:CM is not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but if they can sort out the AI, it'll at least be respectable. It deserves more than it got, but less than the game should've achieved.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    Is Aliens: CE a great game? Not even kinda. However, if you were to ask me if it were a bad game...well then the answer is no, not really. In my opinion, the honest truth is that Aliens: CE is just an average game with an Aliens brand, and perhaps that's why it's being trashed. So lets examine the game's faults right away. First and foremost, the graphics are mediocre to downright bad. I've run the game on max settings and I'd be a colossal liar if I said it compared to the other 2013 titles. The dated look instantly made me think of Duke Nukem Forever. Up second is the AI, which isn't too bright either. Under the most ideal circumstances, there was one or two times where the Aliens made a maneuver that I didn't expect, but sadly the majority seemed content to just rush you from different angles. Granted, I myself could get past these issues fairly easily, but what really keeps me from loving Aliens: CE is the single-player campaign, which considering its title as a true canonical sequel, should be one of the most important aspects. Instead, single-player quickly becomes a shooting gallery of great set-pieces brought down by average fight sequences. Furthermore, the campaign is just too easy for any terror or tension to really emerge. I myself played on the Hardened difficulty, where the enemy could three-shot-kill-me, as it should be, but the dull AI and never ending discharge of bullets wrecks the atmosphere. That said, the campaign isn't a total miss, there are plenty of homages and tributes to the film, as well as some decent setpieces, but ultimately the atmosphere these things are trying to create just never really happens. Finally, several technical bugs have been reported in the game, though I myself have not run into any of these, it certainly isn't doing the game any favors.

And yet, Aliens: CE isn't a total loss, which is why I'm so reluctant to be complacent with a 4.5 average score. As said before, the environments and game entities have some tender love and care, and are accurate recreations of the sets from the films. At times the game is absolutely brimming with fan service, such as collecting weaponry used by the cast of the Aliens movie, or scouring the game for secrets and achievements named after movie events. All the iconic weaponry handles well enough (minus the half-baked cover system), and some of the action sequences started to make me feel like a bad-ass. Multiplayer, assuming it doesn't die in the next few weeks, was actually quite a satisfying experience and is where the game really shines. A good variety of modes, a solid mix of weapons, and some great tactics that only emerge when humans are at the wheel instead of AI's gives a pleasant glimpse into what the game should have been. In the rounds I played it was enjoyable to see xeno players find ways to lure and trick opponents, while marine players would develop strategies for staying safe and well protected. The multiplayer is also packed with customization options to fine-tune your playstyle with gun accessories, perks, armors, and plenty of cosmetics for both humans and aliens.

After six years in development, its understandably depressing that your patience has been rewarded with rather unremarkable sci-fi horror corridor shooter that sometimes grasps for greatness, and oftentimes falls flat on its face. And yet despite all the flaws, there's just enough gory, acidic goodness in the game to give me hope that an amazing aliens video game is not quite as impossible as it might seem.
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical when i saw all harsh reviews, but then i played a the game, its true that the graphics are dated, but that's not the straw that broke the camel's back (straws in this case), it doesn't feel like an aliens game, or a horror movie for that matter, the Xenos come at you in plain sight, and you have more than enough ammo to gun them down, the game suffers from broken AI, quirky animations, forgettable characters, You'll find yourself stepping right through some debris, and chunks of alien organic materials found on the ground while walking around like its not there, i haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so i have no opinion on that. if you're a fan of movies, you might tolerate some of the inconveniences that i've mentioned, or you'll just rate it harshly out of bitter disappointment like all the 1's and 2's found on here, as a for me i feel like i flushed my money down the toilet. Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm only going to talk about the singleplayer/co-op campaign.

What it does right: The game level design, sound and music are all true to the license. It has some really nice references to the movie hidden throughout. The graphics are not ground breaking but are good enough. In other words, they set the scene for an awesome aliens game really well.

What it does wrong: It completely
    removes the atmosphere the aliens franchise is known for. There are no moments when your fighting for you life. There are no jump scares. And the aliens do not behave like a dangerous opponent, in fact they spend most of their time walking at a reasonably slow pace with very little climbing on walls and roofs, and are just simple head straight towards target AIs like Serious Sam and just walk mindlessly towards you. Unlike Serious Sam you don't fight hordes of enemies or need keyboard agility to avoid them. In fact you can kinda half be asleep while in heavy combat in this game. The other thing which brings the game down is the fact you can carry all weapons and ammo at once, this basically turns you into a tank with unlimited ammo and in the aliens franchise ammo conservation is an important part of the fear factor.
    Summary: If you looking for an alien fix and don't mind the other species your best bet is still Aliens Vs Predator (The original one not the new one) and its sequel and play through the marine campaign.
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    What a genuinely awful game in a series of awful games. An iconic franchise that is so simply transplanted to FPS meets mostly awful development time and time again. Expectations were pretty low coming in. I would have been happy if this long incubated title was 'Mediocre'. It's offensively bad, and that is not hyperbole. It is offensive on every level. Rebellion must be rolling with laughter right now after their middling AvP got raked across the coals. As far as finger pointing goes, the consistent iron in the fire is Fox Interactive. Flushing their franchise down the toilet in every medium possible.. Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2013
    Hmm, poor gameplay, an intensive marketing campaign, a useless fat bastard as a CEO. yep, we have all been utterly scammed. People should post his home address on youtube. I seriously hope this scamming scumbag and his front company get everything he so richly deserves. I could go on to describe what this game has done to encourage piracy or damage the gaming industry etc etc. I will simply put it this way. To the development and publishing community. If you want to develop a revenue stream based upon sustainable growth. This is an example of how not to do it. Make sure this idiot and his company are relegated to the unemployment poverty stricken hell they so richly deserve. Expand
  13. Mar 3, 2013
    lol I see alot of people hates aliens, fail computers, bad graphic too. just get a new computer! it's just like borderlands 2. don't balme on the games and crappy.
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    Oh how I wanted to love this game. The campaign for the most part is a soulless, standard FPS with wildly inaccurate guns which make trying to kill mercenaries in cover a chore. The low res textures make the game look dated, attempts are generating atmosphere are a bit hit and miss, the dialogue is nothing special, and the multi-player is a guilty pleasure, but I got to the point where all I wanted to do was play the xenomorphs and got bored whenever I was forced to play as the marines. Leaping around the arenas and crawling across ceilings and walls is mighty good fun, but often the game can't understand exactly what you're doing due to the complex nature of the terrain and your character will start doing donuts a wall or something. At least I managed to pick it up fairly cheap. Meh. Expand
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    This Game is a Disaster and a well made Scam. Nothing in this Game looks like the Gameplaydemo´s. Its horrible, but not in the way we want it. Horrible Grafiks, stupid Story and the AI is dumber as a stone.
    I wonder if this is even legal, what Gearbox done.
    Only the Weaponsounds are good. Anything else is just bad bad bad. Dont buy this piece of Trash. EGM give a 90?..Lmao..
  16. Feb 12, 2013
    There are so many problems with this game that it's not even funny. The story is so bad it's good, there are parts of the levels that are so unpolished it's embarrassing and there's too much time shooting other humans rather than hunting bugs. As a single player game, it's a dead loss. If you stop to examine it, it's really stupid on many levels.

BUT

If you want an Aliens game, as a
    Marine, no Predators around, you and your mates shooting aliens for about seven hours, it's okay. I mean it's not brilliant but it's a fun, reasonably challenging cooperative shooter and there aren't many of those around for the PC. I enjoyed the coop campaign in ACM more than I enjoyed my first play-through of Left 4 Dead or the Syndicate coop missions and it had a much smoother process to set it up than the latter.

It's a long way from polished but I think it offers something that is all too rare on PC, a solid coop first person shooter experience. I got seven hours out of it, which isn't much for a full price game, but they were seven good hours, so I don't think it's that bad. Wouldn't recommend getting it except on sale though really. But just to reiterate, it's only saving feature is the coop, it does that well enough to be worth a dip into a bargain bin.
  17. Feb 14, 2013
    Generally a disappointment, the Aliens atmosphere is there with the sound and lighting effects but the AI is really poor and this really effects the gun play. The weapons are good, each has a role to play and the customization is pretty good allowing you to change the guns to fit your play style.

Overall its worth a rental or if you can pick it up cheaply but I doubt many people would
    be happy paying the full retail price for this game. Expand
  18. Feb 12, 2013
    Campaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and the fact that the alien moves like your put a stick up his and now pulling some strings absolutly ruins it. Feeling: (Marine)
    It's ok. I'm missing some kind of distant radio. I had a guy with his micro not muted and i could hear the dampened gunfire while catching up with the group. It was actually pretty cool. Otherwise the game lacks a proper envoirement sound set. If you spawn after death somewhere you can't hear nothing. It's so peaceful, you may settle down and have a picnic with a nearby spitter. Also the guns feel somehow cheap, like made out of lego bricks. To be honest all the models feel like i bought a 14,99 Indie game.

Maps:
    The maps i played so far are uther rubbish. Sorry envoirement artist and level designers, but did you play your maps once? There's no tatic. It's just "find the best spot to sit on" and stay there and shooting the aliens coming from two directions. Forget vents, they're placed almost randomly without strategic purpose.

Season Pass:
    You expect me to pay 30 bucks for you to maybe fix this, really?

There are some things cool about this game but it doesnt compensate the games overall cheap feeling and bad, bad, bad, BAD map design. Just my personal opinion on this.
  19. Feb 18, 2013
    Co-op with friends and plenty, plenty of booze and this becomes a very enjoyable comedy experience!! Highly recommended! But only if you have friends and ample amounts of alcohol! Caution: do not try sober.
  20. Feb 23, 2013
    Well I have to admit I started playing this game with a biased negative view on it after all the initial videos and reviews of it. But I have played it with as an objective perspective as possible.

My initial impression was actually quite mixed. For a bit, even though I knew how cut down the atmosphere and graphics were from the marketing demo we saw: I actually liked the atmosphere and
    lighting even though it didn't feel really new and awesome. It was dark, intense blinking lights, etc. It really gave me a nice sense of fear and creepyness.
    What was bad however was the presentation of the plot and the really wooden and cliché characters. Even by game standards it was just not even close to par with games that have decent dramatisation and dialogue.

From here on it goes downhill fast and stays there. The gunplay couple with the enemy and buddy AI is just complete rubbish: as bad as Brink. Just as in Brink your buddies are useless and their gun-fire is more visual effect than effective. The AI is just spawn spawn spawn and jump jump jump around: compounded by all the guns being weak pea-shooters with small mags and clumsy handling. Like I said: exactly what made Brink so bad.
    The Xenos are just really not good in terms of modeling, behaviour and danger. We have this image of the Xenos from the movies as unbelievably good ambush masters that need to be killed from atleast 10 yards away or longer if you don't wanna die. In this you just constantly shoot at them while they're in front of you in a stale "a blooga blooga boo!" stance. It reminds me of old 90s arcade games where you just had a big sprite in front of you and it didn't really animate in any way.
    So yeah instead of amazing sneaky and lightning fast xenos we really don't get anything more complex than doom3d enemies coming at you going "rawr". That's the one move they have: they spawn and climb stuff to get to about 10 yards away from you. Then they kind of crouch and wiggle their hiney followed by a silly pounce in front of you. It's like you're playing against cats in xeno costumes.
    The way they behaved in the AvP games was actually kind of good: to go way way way down in quality after all these years is just pathetic.

I'd go on but I'm already tired of pointing out all these inadequacies. It's a bad game with gameplay that in parts is as simple and archaic as doom3d and some parts at best live up to 2004 gaming standards. If I had developed this I would be ashamed of myself.
  21. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is not fundamentally broken (with the possible exception of the AI) but it doesn't feel like it's a finished product either. It doesn't capture the feel of the Aliens movie, it looks dated and it's short and not very interesting. In no way does it live up to the marketing and hype around it.
  22. Feb 12, 2013
    This is a subpar game. A disservice of the Aliens licence. WTF gearbox? Brain-dead AI, poor textures, boring corridor shooter. This game is candidate to Worst Game of the Year 2013.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    A disgrace to the Alien movies and an unfinished turd of a game. Screw you, Gearbox! This POS is barely worth $10, let alone $50. You've got some nerve trying to get garbage like this past us and I won't even GLANCE at a product with your name on it again.
  24. Mar 28, 2013
    I'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day before release and I'm sitting there paying for the preorder through steam, thinking to myself "isn't it odd that there isn't a single actual gameplay video for this game? No teaser no nothing that is relevant to the release candidate?". Well I learned my lesson we can say that. I am not going to sum up everything I thought was wrong about this game, but I think I was one of the few that actually didn't mind the graphics. The worst part was the gameplay itself. It's an aliens game that is actually more difficult during the parts where you fight humans. Which happens roughly 50-60% of the game, or at least feels like it because it's harder. There are WAY too WY soldiers to fight in this game. The aliens in this game are laughably bad at what they do, so much so that it's not even scary to fight the aliens, not even difficult to say the least. They either run straight at you, or are a "spitter" alien (dreamt up by someone who theorized it would make a good game element in multiplayer probably) with a glowing head that you can see from a mile away. The multiplayer while it is somewhat fun, is basically just a back and forth with aliens and marines in a small call of duty arena style battle. Good luck getting into any other game modes beyond team deathmatch because everyone has already moved on from the game. If this game ended up going the multiplayer route of natural selection 2, this game could have actually been awesome. Even if all the other gaping flaws still existed, the natural selection 2 multiplayer model with an aliens theme would have been so so sick.

The worst part about this game is without a doubt the alien melee "pistol" finishers. I have never seen such a waste of animation in my entire goddamn life. Let me put it this way. In an aliens game, if you put your entire hand and pistol in an aliens mouth (and alien with molecular acid blood) and pull the trigger, you better be either pulling a half melted pistol out of it's mouth or be screaming while the bones fall off your hand for me to even START believing the character just did that. But no, your character will jam his pistol and hand into the aliens mouth, pull the trigger, and pull it out completely unscathed. I'm SHOCKED I haven't seen more complains about this, because this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The lack of realistic consequences in this game absolutely kills any potential of fear.
  25. Feb 16, 2013
    Just a terrible game, story is a joke, AI is a joke, graphics is a joke, over all gameplay is just terrible. Its sad that Gearbox screwed over game about Aliens, could have been great game if they cared, but unfortunately it looked like they just didn't care at all and put this garbage together few months before the deadline.
  26. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After playing for a few hours I've already kind of lost interest in the game entirely. I was really excited for this game because I loved the original movies, but this game is pretty disappointing. The visuals are rather outdated, which isn't a deal breaker for me at all, but some of the textures in this game are laughably low resolution. One think I really noticed was how the characters look slightly cartoonish. It almost reminds me of the Jurassic Park video game by Telltale; in regards to the visual style the characters are given. It isn't as pronounced as Telltale's style, but it's still noticeable. The game doesn't have much of a budget for poly count. A lot of models rely almost entirely on textures for intricate details (and do it poorly). Levels tend to have block syndrome as well. As far as the environment art goes, they nailed the old Aliens look pretty well.

The pacing of the story is awkward at times. Missions and cut scenes tend to start and end abruptly. There was one point in the game where I was on the bridge of a space ship and my crew and I watch helplessly as our ship explodes. We stand perfectly still, unaffected by the blast. Then the mission ends suddenly and at the start of the next mission, we're all lying on the floor of the bridge as if the blast had violently shaken the ship we were on, knocking us all off our feet. Very awkward moment. It's not a HUGE deal, but it's amazing how they overlooked this. There's more of it throughout the campaign. There's even a few glaring issues with the core gameplay. Some sites on weapons don't seem centered. Hit detection also seems off at times, especially around cover. If an enemy is behind cover but you can still see a little bit of their body sticking out, it's nearly impossible to hit them. But whenever you take cover, you frequently get hit by random bullets every few seconds. To top it all off, AI is pretty wonky in this game. Your companions CONSTANTLY walk in front of you as you're firing. I blew myself up at least 6 times because one of my allies walked in front of me RIGHT when I decided to fire a shell from my under-barrel grenade launcher. Very frustrating to say the least. This game had a lot of potential and you can even see it when playing, but it just falls completely flat on its face.
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    It's sad when a beloved franchises gets the "EA" treatment. I might be embellishing a bit, but it's understandable since i used to be a fan. The game is, for lack of a better word, "MEH". I didn't get to play much since i did so at a friend's house, but what i did get to play kind of left me wanting. What the hell was i playing? It certainly didn't feel like an "Aliens" game. Somewhat Clunky and Heavily scripted, the purpose of which, i'm guessing, is inspiring suspense, but it doesn't really matter because it fails to do so in any other way except for those moments of eerie silence when you're walking alone And those are nothing new. Outside of excluding the Predators as a playable race, and adding some menial reward mechanisms you see in EVERY OTHER FPS out there, i don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than a dumbed-down AVP3 clone. The optimization itself seems to be horrendous, as the already non-stellar gameplay suffered almost omnipresent lag spikes. IN SINGLE PLAYER. How the hell does that happen? This might be a huge issue with paying customers, since some of them coughed up quite a sum by pre-ordering. One other thing that seems to follow every game of late like the plague, is the over-dramatization of already "dramatic" events. I don't understand what the issue is there, and why does it happen so often, but it sucks to see marines acting as if this is some Aliens soap opera. How, in their right mind, would anyone take this game seriously after that fact is beyond me. I should have known, after seeing Randy Pitchford's smug little face on the trailers, that this game is going to bomb. The AI is pathetic. I've seen better enemy reactions in Wolfenstein. I give it a 5 out of sheer devotion to the franchise, nothing else. If this was any other generic fps, it wouldn't even sell at the bargain bin. My advice is, play something else. Until it gets a couple of well-deserved patches, you should forget that this "thing" even exists. Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2013
    Is it GOTY material? no.. is it better than Farcry 3? no.. is it a decent satisfying game experience set in the ALIENS universe? yes.

The hate-fest is silly and doesn't reflect reality at all. its a 7/10 game, no less and no more.
  29. Feb 26, 2013
    This is the first time I have beaten a $50 dollar game in less than 20 hours. Even though the game is relatively easy (even for old guys like me), I still found it to be entertaining. My biggest critiques are: (1) too much down time between fights, even though cut scenes didn't interfere too much. (2) rather dim graphics (3) number of radio calls from the normally absentee players who always seem to be waiting for the protagonist to show up (4) highly forgettable plot; I can't even remember the hero's name. Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    Single player wise, yeah, Colonial Marines is pretty bad. There's a lack of suspenseful atmosphere (except for one level), the AI is atrocious, acting is bad, and the storyline is worse. Hadley's Hope? Un-nuked, I guess. Whatever. Multiplayer is a better experience than single player, but suffers from some major issues. Marines level up from the campaign and multiplayer, while aliens can only level up from multiplayer. This means that pretty much right out of the chute marine teams have a gigantic advantage over the alien team. 6 hours after launch I was running into marines between level 10 and 23 with fully upgraded weapons, and today all my matches have consisted of max level marines vs. level 1 to 7 aliens. Customization options are far more in depth for marines, with aliens being limited to 3 heads and some slightly differently colored skins. Finally, there are no dedicated servers, and if the host leaves before the match is over, you are kicked and lose all your progress. So, bottom line, multiplayer is the only way this game can redeem itself, but even that has a long way to go. Expand
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    The game is solid, the design is spot on and it is fun to play, especially in coop.

So why is it that this game gets such horrid reviews? Sure, it does not have top notch state of the art graphics. Good for me, cause if it did I probably could not play it on my PC. It does not look bad, though. Sure the AI is not very bright, but to control shiny black critters that usually come
    straight at you it doesn't have to be. The most likely reason why this game is hated by so many people is because expectations were too high. Everyone wanted HIS personal perfect Aliens game and now everyone is mad that he just got a good game, instead of that.

I guess many people also have not seen ALIENS for a LONG time. If you complain that the xenomorphs in this game are allegedly stupid, please watch the movie again and take a look how many of them get slaughtered by sentry guns. It does not get any dumber than getting killed by a stationary autocannon, wave after wave. The xenomorphs have always been rather stupid, but they are fast, fearless, strong, full of acid and individually they are cunning hunters. Being a cunning hunter just isn't any good if your prey has Pulse Rifles.

So yeah, the game could have been better. It could also have been much worse. More easily than the other way around.
  32. Feb 14, 2013
    I don't need to write a review on Aliens: Colonial Marines, as all that needs to be said has been said, but I wanted to rant about an experience I had with the game, and I'm not even done with it yet. I really tried to look past all of the bad reviews and just experience the single player campaign for myself. Honestly I have been actually enjoying the game. I did find a few flaws with it: Like my two AI buddies being able to run right through each other. Aliens can also occupy the exact same space as well. I'm not sure why they didn't allow for colliders on the 3D entities. Also, the music sometimes would work, and other times it wouldn't work. I would have these firefights, that seemed kind of bland, and I would notice that no music was going on. Then I would get killed, and when the scene restarted, there would be music there. That is the equivalent of going through a haunted house, and one of the animatronics breaking down during the ride. I guess my biggest gripe is that the game appeared not to have been tested before release. Expand
  33. Feb 16, 2013
    This is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time. From big to small it fails on almost every level. The immersion promised in the pre-release video was stripped leaving behind the husk of a generic shooter. The dialog is awful with its forced, rehashed lines from Aliens. The corny try-hard attempt to recreate the attitude of the characters from the movie. A boring (DLC READY! :D) story with a... well... I would've called it a cliffhanger ending but truth be told I simply don't care. The game play offers virtually nothing to offset any of the above. It's functional, usually, but that's where the praise ends. The alien AI feels like it was written by some poor intern that doesn't even like FPS games. It's pretty standard copy/paste game play beyond that. With the gratuitous weapon unlocks and totally linear map design.

The worst offenders by far are the lifeless boring levels. The fact they took the source material of aliens and turned it into this is upsetting, if not flat out depressing. The animations are laughable (power loader anyone?) and the textures would make Ray Charles weep. The lighting? Mods to "help fix" the lightning were out in less than 24 hours. At least Duke Nukem Forever won't be lonely at the bottom of the barrel.
  34. Feb 12, 2013
    I don't know why there is so much hate surrounding this game....for what it is I had fun and enjoyed it thoroughly. It's just a simple scripted corridor shooter. If you wanted borderlands with aliens then yeah you'll be disappointed. I thought it was great!
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    O jogo foi feito exatamente para quem fã da quadrilogia do filme Alien! O jogo tem gráficos excelentes e não fica pesado na máquina. Tem modo multiplayer coop e PvP. Quem fala que o jogo tem uma campanha sem sentido ou reclama por não ter servidor dedicado ou por qualquer outra coisa, não sabe o que está falando ou simplesmente está acostumado com jogos de outros gêneros e cai no erro de ficar comparando um jogo com outro. Não comparem o Aliens Colonial Marines com outros jogos, os criadores do jogo fizeram um bom trabalho e estão de parabéns. Joguei toda a campanha em menos de 12 horas e não encontrei bugs, problemas ou defeitos durante o game. Vale a pena comprar. Mais uma vez, PARABÉNS AOS DESENVOLVEDORES!!! Expand
  36. Feb 12, 2013
    Great, Great did I say Great GAME! Don't believe the retarded GameSpot review this game is amazing, yes there are a few textures in the game that don't look perfect but thats the only legitimate complaint and you don't grade a game just based on that. I am loving this game and the tension is has, it reminds me of the fear I felt while playing Dead Space 1 and 2 and the aliens are cool as They look great and the game-play is amazing while staying honest to the movies and the genre. I definitely recommend this game if you ever enjoyed any of the Aliens movies, or any of the Dead Space games. Expand
  37. May 3, 2013
    I bought the game before the massive 'upgrade' patch if you want to call it that. The graphics were okay, but the AI was very dumb. Aliens would hit you once then run away around a corner and stare at a wall it was that bad. However.......changing the AI so that every single alien on the screen runs straight at you AND only you regardless of how many other marines are standing around is even dumber. Plus those said marines still have dumb AI that don't actually help you at all. Then you get up to the first human rivals and they have an uncanny ability to throw grenades directly at you and frequently, all the while ignoring the rest of your marine teams which still stand around scratching their balls. The game is a poor failure. Expand
  38. Feb 17, 2013
    As a huge fan of the movies I've waited years to play a game where I can run around on LV426 with my favourite characters. The campaign was fun, the whole game is basically Call of Duty meets Aliens, nothing mind blowing or eye watering but decent. (And unlike CoD the the price wasn't £49.99) The multi player is great fun. I have no clue why this game is getting such a low rating, I found one haven't had any issues with bugs, crashes but I have seen the AI do some stupid stuff. However, I'm having a blast with it. I would probably give this game 10 out of 10 just for letting me live out my dream but that would be biased. So a solid 8 from me. Expand
  39. Feb 14, 2013
    Can't believe the quality of this game. I played it for a few hours and I couldn't believe the bugs (no pun intended) littered everywhere. After realising how bad it is I found out that the Alpha gameplay demo is in fact a far superior version to the actual game. It actually looks like a different game. I have been scammed out of my money along with many many other supporters of this game. I loved Borderlands 1 2 and I had absolute faith that Gearbox could deliver. But this just isn't the case. If there is a game to avoid this year, then Aliens: Colonial Marines is the top contender. I wouldn't even get this out of the bargain bin, and if you are a big ALIENS fan. Then I would stay a nuclear bomb radius away from this game. Expand
  40. Feb 12, 2013
    Horrible game from start to finish. From gfx to animation to sound to AI(artificial idiots) to pacing...everything is below average or broken. Gearbox has balls to ask full retail price and then more for "DLC's". Seriously only buy this game if you're an idiot like me who throws money anything that has Aliens in it....or steam has it for $10 or less sometime in the future. AvP 2010 is way better game than this junk. I will officially ignore all games that has "gearbox" written on it...thanks for screwing up DNF...and now Aliens. Expand
  41. Mar 30, 2013
    came on you just have to love this game its great..... I think I have been lucky so far, as I have had no problems at all, keep up the good work and I cant wait for number 2
  42. LMW
    Feb 12, 2013
    Played it for 3 hours in 4 people coop mode on Ultimate Badass. 6 11 missions accomplished. What can I say? What I like:

- 4 people coop makes game a lot better. While not perfect, you have sort of cooperation and tactic while killing stuff.
    - Sounds and music are not bad at all. Weapons, well-timed music and big booms are all there.
    - Weapons. While there are basically 3 categories
    (rifles, shotguns and pistols), all of them have their own style and feel.

What I didn't like:

- Story. Story is meaningless. It doesn't make you care about key figures. Who was that guy over the radio? Who cares, let's move, aliens won't kill themselves.
    - Aliens and enemy soldiers AI. Well, nothing much to say here they are just plain stupid. The only way they can attack you is by jumping straight at you. Oh, they can also just stand and watch you killing them (or just running around waving their claws). And yes, they die A LOT. Packs and packs run at you and you just shoot them in the face. No challenge. Easy as that.
    - Level design is lackluster. Corridors over corridors, watered with boring cut-scenes, where developers try to make you care about characters around you. Nothing spectacular here, at least so far.
    - Almost no challenge. Yes, we died several times during these 6 missions only because we were running straight ahead almost all the time, shooting stuff without any problems (I did check our difficulty level twice I still can't believe it is so easy to play on the Ultimate Badass), but nothing really challenging. Aliens die in a matter of seconds, almost without any effort from our part.

As it was said before, game feels like another generic FPS. There is nothing special about this title whatsoever. Is it fun? If you play it not alone maybe, but I can't imagine playing it myself all alone (I did finish 2 missions alone, by the way). And yes, graphic is not that terrible. Of course it is quite outdated, but not that bad as many people state. While not at Far Cry or Crysis level, it doesn't make you puke either.

Overall, 5.5 (maybe 6.0) out of 10 for me.
  43. Nov 6, 2013
    Crapbox strikes again. many rumors surround the infamous development cycle this game went through. Outsourcing most of the work, stealing funds from this project and putting them into their other games, etc. But one thing is certain. Gearbox never cared at all about this game. It's a complete disaster from start to finish. The only redeeming quality about this game is that it takes place in the Aliens universe, which is awesome. Being a big Aliens fan, my review score is a bit higher than it normally would be if I didn't care about the license (probably a 2 or 3/10). Other than that, Aliens is a stale shooter which offers entirely linear gameplay and uninteresting multiplayer. The story is confusing and nonsensical, the characters are completely forgettable and there is no reason to care for any of them. While the voice acting for some of the characters is actually quite good, the lip syncing is terrible. Graphics and effects and other sounds are well below par. The AI is among the worst I've ever seen. The list goes on and on. The only people that should even think about buying this game are fans of the Aliens franchise. Everyone else needs to stay far away. After three disaster games in a row (Duke Nuke, Borderlands 2, and now this), Crapbox has shown they have no ability whatsoever to make a good modern game. Stay away from this crap developer and anything that they happen to spawn. Expand
  44. Feb 12, 2013
    What the hell happened? The AI was one of the worst AI I've ever seen. Many Aliens won't even come after you. Sometimes they look at you and walk around you. WALK.
  45. Feb 13, 2013
    Lazy game which rides the title to monetary gain rather than putting forward anything worth playing. So many times while playing this I could see broken textures on hallways, those bright blue lines you are seeing on the floor are not lights, people, they are the edges of the textures. The in lifts you can see through the world into the sky-box (and see the planets below), it is a lazy lazy game. Not only that, it is boring, dreadfully so, even the co-op has my friends and I laughing at how awful the AI is, even on the hardest difficultly, it is a lazy game with lazy writing, coding, and development. I'm not sure if Gearbox actually made this, or outsourced it to somewhere, it really makes me question and further purchases of their production. Expand
  46. Feb 19, 2013
    An enjoyable game for fans of the earlier Alien movies (especially the 2nd one), and while graphics are not groundbreaking they are still good enough to give you that creepy feeling of being on LV-426, except for maybe a few textures here and there that could use some polishing, I am a little disappointed that they didn't use DX11 but I can live with that. I've played about 15 hours of the game and still haven't experienced any crash or freeze up, sometimes there can be a little lag when going through a door opening into another room but that is minor stuff that easily can be patched. While the single player part is enjoyable I have to say that the most fun in this game is without a doubt the co-op campaign. People complain a lot about the AI and sure they are no Einsteins but I have seen far worse in other games, and also I'm sure they can be patched to perform better as well Expand
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is absolutely terrible. It's a generic stereotype space marines action shooter. The single player is mindless and boring, the AI is terrible, the sound effects are also terrible. The game is not scary and the voice actors just sound depressed. The online mode is not fun, you'll get bored in minutes because there is no depth to the gameplay.
    One of the redeeming factors of the
    game however is that it has decent music, but that's it. If you're having trouble sleeping, I definitely recommend this game because there is no way you'll still be awake after 30 minutes. Gearbox over-hyped this game and just ended up deceiving Aliens fans. I highly recommend you look at game footage before you commit to buy this game. Expand
  48. rps
    Feb 20, 2013
    After playing the game 40 hours, and having played video games for many years, I have to conclude the professional reviewers were either being paid to trash this game by another publisher, expectations too high, or just burned out from their job of playing games all the time. From this day forward I will take anything they say with a grain of salt. I would have missed a really fun and very "Aliens" experience if I listened to them. As for the people who give it zero's etc., the days of pirating new titles is over, get used to it. If your a fan of Aliens, don't miss this game. Expand
  49. Feb 20, 2013
    Perhaps not a game for everyone as it seems, but I enjoy it a lot, I should add that I'm playing mostly in co-op mode with friends. The game runs smooth on my PC and I haven't encountered any major problems, the only thing I've noticed is some minor lag in certain parts of the game. If you're expecting something like COD or BF I think you might be disappointed with this game, but if you're into old school co-op shooters this game has many hours of fun to offer. Expand
  50. Feb 12, 2013
    Enjoying myself fully after 3-4 missions in the cinematic single player part of this game. Not as scary as the earlier AvP games but a solid SP experience. So far my only real complaint is the scripted pauses where the tracker is not accessible. The unlocks and leveling feels well integrated and solid and adds more game within the game.

Good: gfx, sound, control
    Not as good: Scripted,
    interrupting pauses, tracker feels a bit scripted Expand
  51. Feb 12, 2013
    Immense yourself in the world of Marines vs Aliens. Living in the Alien film genre this is most likely the only thing going for the game. A typical linear first person shooter with not much to offer other than a survival story line. The game features poor AI on both allies and enemies alike, weapons feel mediocre and not much use changing from the pulse rifle. Graphic detail of the game is pretty sub-par for its retail price. Easily finished from start to end in one sit through. For fans of the Alien films, its worth the play-through just to learn more of the lore and see some familiar faces but not for the retail price, wait for this title to hit the bargain bin which i can imagine it will soon be heading to. Expand
  52. Feb 13, 2013
    The short version is that IT'S NOT THAT BAD!

Main problems are it's too simplistic and lacks polish. But it's no worse than all the others games based on this franchise. There is enjoyment to be had here, but no more so than with your latest Cowadooty game. I'd give this mid-60's rather than mid-40's. It really doesn't deserve the slating it's taken, although it can mostly blame itself
    for raising expectations so much at E3. Expand
  53. Feb 12, 2013
    Ahhh, Aliens. The series that everyone around the world has heard about. There have been numerous games over the years based on the Aliens franchise and to this day, none of them have quite managed to hit that 'sweet spot'. Aliens: Colonial Marines attempts to fix this by plunging you into a world or terror and action, allegedly providing the (quoted from the back of the box), "ULTIMATE ALIENS FIRST PERSON SHOOTER". Although Aliens: Colonial Marines does not quite live up to this expectation, after all, buggy AI and annoying multiplayer glitches have swarmed their way into the game which will hopefully be addressed in a patch soon to come.

Now with that out of the way, Aliens: Colonial Marines, on PC at least looks brilliant. Maybe not the best graphics you could possibly get today, but good, nevertheless. I feel that the game's main strengths come through the tension-riddled scary sequences, followed by the high-octane action sequences, both of which are incredibly well scripted and thought out. Your arsenal feels real both visually and through their sounds, adding to the dramatic feel of the game.

Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is a superb game, especially on the PC. It incorporates the tension of the Aliens movies as well as their thrilling action sequences. This game is well worth your money because although not being a particularly original or 'new' kind of game, it is EXTREMELY fun to play! ***RECOMMENDED***

Pros: Fun gameplay, excellent sounds/music and good level design
    Cons: Lousy AI and bugs (both alien form and glitches)
  54. Feb 14, 2013
    If your an Aliens fan like me then AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!! The story is so pathetically put together that it doesn't even have an explanation that links this game to the movies. It's like no research went into making it in the first place! The characters are so uninteresting and their AI is incredibly DUMB. The aliens AI is so stupid that it basically runs at you straight past the dumb NPC who is closer! Aliens even get stuck doing what they 're good at, clinging to walls! The level design is appalling! It's like a CoD game where you keep pushig forward. The graphics are so, soo, sooo dated! Even the collisions aren't working, with aliens running right through NPCs and bullets impacting on, well nothing! Coop is a joke! Other players somehow mysteriously teleport in from nowhere and have no idea what they should be doing, except shooting. Multiplayer is probably the only thing that is good about this game, but even that is flawed. No dedicated servers, imbalanced matchmaking system and in the right hands an alien can be OP because they can see through walls! From Borderlands 2 to this? Gearbox, You need to shift up to 6th because this is unacceptable!! Expand
  55. Feb 13, 2013
    Seriously Gearbox? After the excellent Borderlands 2 I thought, it can't be wrong to pre-order another game produced by Gearbox. I was proven wrong. One thing I have learned for sure after this game release disaster: I will NEVER NEVER NEVER ever pre-order a game anymore!
  56. Feb 16, 2013
    "100% gameplay" demo shown in E3 expo was a lie. Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2qVebxlUo
    Other than that Poor AI, Jarring atmosphere and cliche story gives it a 4
  57. Feb 15, 2013
    i gave it a six out of ten, basically i enjoyed the game, it wasn't until it was pointed out that the game was nothing like what the demo promised i felt cheated a little, but hoping the devs can do something to keep supporting the franchis with animation,Ai and texture upgrades, and hopefully do what Bioware did with ME3 and release some "extended version" DLC cutscenes to better explain the storyline. I hope gearbox, and Randy don't abandon this franchise, it CAN BE MADE RIGHT you can start by releasing a HD texture pack and a lighting overhaul Expand
  58. Mar 24, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a sign of what the gaming industry has degraded to: pure utter Not only does this so-called 'sequel' to Aliens takes a big piece of dump on the Alien film canon, it also demonstrates how deceitful the industry can be and how easily it is for gamers to fall for its web of lies. Not only does A:CM not have any of the graphical power seen in the 2011 E3 demo nor the interesting level designs, the entire game is essentially half broken. Enemy AI is ludicrously dumb and glitchy, the friendly AI is almost broken with some of the worst pathfinding Ive seen in literally years. The plot itself starts off well and actually has some interesting aspects to it throughout the middle but after a few levels, it just falls to pieces, as if they ran out of time and had to add in a horrible, poor-executed climax and conclusion. For fans of the franchise, you will be hooked by its generic xeno-killing gameplay but this excitement only lasts as long as your love for using the Pulse Rifle. There's a wide range of weapons but in all honesty, you'll probably only use 2-3 of them. Thankfully, the Smart-Gun and Pulse Rifles have been well designed and executed with their familiar sounds and impact (though the recoil for the Pulse Rifle is a big ridiculous). Another positive is the inclusion of legendary guns from the second film including Vasquez's Smartgun, Hudon's Pulse Rifle, Norman's Pistol etc. The NPC's you meet are generic as hell and have the worst lines (though the voice-acting is solid). The game cutscenes are poorly rendered and overall, the engine has a 2005 look with excessive lighting and poor textures. Multiplayer-wise, it holds up well but ultimately, compared Natural Selection 2, its inferior. Co-op just feels tacted on and is fun for a few levels for at the end of the day, its probably one of the worst implemented with player warping and a lack of Co-op features. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a total letdown and my biggest disappointment of a game since Mass Effect 3 last year. They have recently released a new patch that does enhance the AI and graphics as well as a solid Bug Hunt DLC but all in all its like adding extra icing and fresh seasoning to a chocolate cake gone bad: too little, too late. Unless you're a big Aliens nut like myself, than avoid A:CM at all costs. Its Game Over all right. Game Over. Expand
  59. Feb 19, 2013
    Though Aliens: Colonial Marines is getting a huge amount of bad reviews, it’s not an extremely bad game. Some of you may be thinking the whole point of the game was to kill a bunch of Xenomorphs and defeat the Queen, but it’s a little more than that. It may be lacking graphically, which sadly a lot of games are nowadays, and the story may be short, but it has some great points of nostalgia.

Yes, you have the Xenomorphs and the queen and every other iconic creature from the Alien movies, such as Facehuggers, but Xenomorphs aren’t the only threat in this game. There is also the Weyland Utani, and actually, the Weyland Utani play a huge role in the game, as well as adding some variety to the gameplay so that you’re not just fighting through hordes of Xenos. Easter Eggs, like Hicks’ shotgun, are sprinkled throughout the campaign and add a great deal of nostalgia, which I found to be quite entertaining. Sadly though, the story seems to end abruptly and seems unfinished, and considering the game was delayed that’s horrifyingly surprising.

The gameplay is fast paced, with occasional tasks taking a little longer than most, e.g. the dreaded “fetch quests”. AI are horribly programmed, with teammates blowing up explosive barrels every once in a while and setting you back to the last checkpoint, and checkpoints aren’t very abundant. Oh, and enemy AI can shoot through walls, which is super fun! (If you couldn’t tell, that was sarcasm.) Also, I played the game on Normal difficulty and the enemies proved to be semi-difficult at times, so I’d imagine they’re pretty hard on the highest difficulty. The multiplayer is also pretty fun, especially playing as the Xenos, they have some pretty cool abilities. You can also level up and customize your weapons and loadouts in multiplayer which allows for some variety. The multiplayer includes 4 modes: TDM, Extermination, Escape and Survivor which can be played on 9 maps.

“They’re coming outta the goddamn walls.” Hudson

The games models, textures and animations are way behind the times. The cinematics are about 5 years behind and don’t seem to sync up very well, nor do they transition smoothly. While the rest of the game pretty much looks like it should have come out in 2008, oh wait, that’s when they announced the delay the first time… Although, I’d say the lighting is quite nice, and with the brightness turned down it’s a little startling when you’re pounced on by an unexpected Xeno.

Ahh, the sound effects, they’re awesome. The sound of the pulse rifle has got to be one of my favorite sound effects in any game and the Xeno hiss is up there with the Predator click as one of the scariest sounds of all time. The rest of the sounds though weren’t very memorable, there’s nothing really special about them. The dialog was a bit weak especially outside of the cutscenes. But I did find the stories that Audio Logs tell to be interesting, especially the one about Newt’s family.

“They mostly come at night… mostly.” Newt

This game has little to no replay value when it comes to campaign, but multiplayer can be played for a while. With tons of leveling and customizing to do, the multiplayer rivals that of current games, especially the garbage that is MW3.

So, with a seemingly unfinished story, not so cutting-edge graphics by any means, and a laughably easy last mission it doesn’t have much of a chance. But, for a fan of the Alien franchise, this is one of the more authentic games out there. The multiplayer redeems the game itself by offering a Left 4 Dead-like experience, with Marines vs. Xenomorphs. And, the nostalgia was enough to make me buy the game. Overall, it was a fun game, but nothing amazing.

Game over, man!
  60. Feb 23, 2013
    After playing you, the feeling is rare. 1) The best of the game is the sound. Guns sound like in the movie. I think it's the best atmosphere achieved (not the visuals is lousy, I got better with the sweet nothing). 2) Graphics cuestinables the time. Safan. 3) AI-sas-tro-za. The worst part of the game. 4) good gameplay and good story (although everything is open to criticism) 5) Final open (and bad?) Which gives the possibility to Gearbox to patch everything bad in this 1st part.
    6) It could have been a great game, but it's like a diamond in the rough. I miss polishing asperities (which people no longer banking). When will they understand? It would have been better to wait 6 months and now be putting a 9
  61. Feb 13, 2013
    The so called "Professional Reviewers" Are FAR to harsh with this game. Okay Granted it has its flaws (The AI is Wonky in Single Player) Yet the campaign is still rich and engaging within the Aliens Universe. Its a Blast to walk around famous scenes from the movie with a Pal or two and Blast some Xenos into next week. Multiplayer IS fun and refreshing from other games out there (This one isn't some COD rip off Thank god!). People need to give this game a break, and give it credit where credit is due, not just look at its flaws and say its terrible. Unfortunately since I don't get paid to write articles about "How my opinion is better than everyone else's" This truthful review will be buried by hate and not see the light of day. At least I don't have my head up my ass... Expand
  62. Feb 13, 2013
    I am a big fan of alien movies. And even tough game has alien in its title i think they could use something else instead of aliens. aliens dont die with 1 shot of shotgun and thats at hardened diffuculty) and they dont act like they are high on drugs, they dont wander around you meaninglessy while u have the time to watch them and wonder what are those bugs doing around running above your head at ceiling. I waited intentionally for them to kill me but they just attack once and than go back wondering around. The enemy ai is terrible, but whats even worse is friendly ai, friendly ai can just watch you die and do nothing at all, also u can easily understand if u are going to get in trouble or not, thanks to obvious scripting. If you see your teammates staying behind or running forward very fast and away from you make sure you get ready because you are about to get attacked.

Another thing is the scan sound of motion tracker, whenever an enemy spawns you hear it bleeping, even tough u arent holding the tracker so all you have to do is to look around when you hear the sound. So overall Ai and scripting the scan sound is terrible.

Now those are big issues but it is not enough to give game a big 0 especially when it carries alien title. In real life you can see aroun 120-130 degrees around you. This means you can see your right 45 and left 45 with ease. In this game you cant see it, you have to turn right or left to see your 45. You have around 60 degree of view. So you have to turn right left crazy to see where the aliens are coming. This creates a very bad gameplay feeling, not because it makes the game harder but because it makes game play uncomfortable.

The graphics are ugly and i play the game with my high end pc at 1600-1200 with everything on at max using a 40 inch samsung led tv. The atmosphere the darkness of screen is well adjusted but light effects, animations just dont give you the alien feeling.

Overall i wasnt waiting much from this game, but i wasnt aware of the gameplay videos at e 2011 and e2012 either. In those demos graphic are actually great and aliens die with at least 5 6 shots of shotgun which is the way it should be. Anyhow the game promised and the game delivered are so different and this creates another negative impression. I could give a 3 maybe 4 to this game but fooling around with e 2011 and 2012 videos arent cool there goes your ZERO.
  63. Feb 16, 2013
    The game is crap. - Kicking in steel doors, diving through the of a marine dropship that an Alien Queen cant even get through - Aliens that either rush right at you or stand motionless - Aliens that rush up to you, strike once, then idle - Weyland Yutani mercenaries by the boatload. Seriously, forget the Aliens. This game is about killing people. - Acid Blood doesn't hurt - Unless it's specifically chosen as a weapon, in which case it mystically hurts
    - Remember the first sign Alien 4: Resurrection would suck? The alien in a glass cage that lets you see every orifice? This game does it too! WITH EVERY VARIANT, including the ones not yet seen.
    - Xeno variants that couldn't have possibly been bred. What? Why are they spitting acid? How did a facehugger impregnate a rhinoceros?!
    - Graphics suck, unlike the graphics they sold preorders on.
    - Duke Nukem Forever made an Aliens game worse. I mean are you for ****ing real?
    - Fire extinguishers react to your fire. By disappearing.
    - a chestburster farm in a lab... with 0 containment for the chestbursters. What do you do with xeno infested humans? Mercy kill. Nope, not these ones. They're made of iron.
    - Every single ongoing Weyland experiment fails catastrophically as soon as you look at it.
    - Oh a captive queen. How quaint. Oh look, she suddenly figured out how to break free. She's smashing the glass to get at me! Uh oh, she broke through the glass! Phew, she gave up.
    - Aliens for the most part cannot transition surfaces while climbing. No clue why. If you want to get onto the ceiling, you need an app for that. Oh sorry, I meant a 'perk'.
    - controls randomly invert when climbing as an alien. Yes, ALL of them. Because wall movement wasn't hard enough.
    - Xeno pounces have a wonderful 5% chance of failing, leaving your lurker pinning down a marine until either the match ends or another player comes along and either kills you or steals your kill.
    - Claymore mines can be dropped instantly, and while in the midst of another animation. Lurker just pinned you and about to chew off your face? No problem. RETROACTIVE CLAYMORE!
    - You can also sit on your claymores, because strangely they just don't hurt humies.
    - Challenge order. Bizarre. Three challenge types, one of each on offer at any given time. Usually the hardest ones straight at the beginning.
    - There's a mission where PMC's and Weyland techs run from your team despite superior numbers. They escape through doors in the side of the ship. Looking out a window you notice they are doors directly to space.
    - Super weapon backpack. You have access to something like 16 weapons and 4 tacticals and thousands of rounds plus secondary rounds on you at all times. D&D did it first!
    - There are 9 multiplayer maps split between 4 game modes. On many of the maps, you could smell an opponents fart on the opposite end.
    - Mapping orbs! "Look, we can Prometheus, too!" exclaims Randy Prichford with a piggish squeal. "ugh" exclaims you, whose quite sick of the half-assed 'nods' without any obvious love for the material.
    - PRE RENDERED cut scenes! WOW! Why did developers stop doing this? I mean, the gamer was never immersed in the first place so you don't have to worry about that jarring transition, the 12 frames per second of the video is TOTALLY unnoticeable if you pack in enough ACTION!!!, and frankly, We miss running a server-farm for weeks to render this junk.

Ok. I'm out of obvious things. You guys take it from here.
  64. Nov 24, 2013
    The Marines are pretty useless in SP above recruit level and this is 'sorely' evident even with all the updates. This game is still unbalanced and broke when you get to fight with giant alien in a powerloader in such a rinse and repeat battle on soldier level and above. It is the most facepalm part of any game I have encountered in along while, and I have been gaming along time too.

Never forgive Sega/Gearbox for basically a initially very poor effort on release and making the game less crappy overtime. A more perfected A.I, more Aliens and less WU forces and this game could of have been great 'ALIEN' game. Plus having to buy the DLC Stasis Interrupted due to a big chunk of the ACM plot missing was a really bad and unfair move by the publishes/developers.
  65. Feb 15, 2013
    Second review... campaign is complete crap.. multiplayer is fun at first but there isn't enough variety.. found out there were things not in the game that were suppose to be...

As a whole it's still not worth $50, more like $15
  66. Feb 15, 2013
    I'm not going to write a long review, all I have to say about this horrid pile of steaming crab has been said before.

False marketing, bait and switch. Everyone involved should have their companies and assets seized.
  67. Feb 21, 2013
    I'd been looking forward to this game for quite a while and my initial reaction to single player was massive disappointment. The AI of both enemies and friendlies leaves a lot to be desired. I'd often lose my AI team mates, or they'd get stuck or even more annoying frequently walk in the way. The team mate damage was pitiful but it's a common thing when you play single player shooters, you are supposed to be the one doing the killing. The single player levels are repetitive, aim down sights is actually fairly inaccurate and the graphics weren't at the quality they were represented in 'gameplay demos'. The story and characters were also lacking in depth, nothing really drew me into the aliens universe.

All that being said the multiplayer gameplay really shines. I enjoyed all game modes and despite a few problems in the days after release with matchup delays in AU I found it a really enjoyable experience and made the pre-order cost worth the money I paid ($35 AU on GMG).

Overall the game is ok, but all of the real aliens feel of the game for me came from the multiplayer. At the time of writing there are still a few glitches with character voices which can be mostly overlooked, often the marines call out when they are dead or just use sound bytes that aren't relevant to the activity.
  68. Jul 28, 2013
    Yes, this game is worthy of all the horrible reviews others have given it. It has a bad single player experience. I won't go on faulting it over the story, this is all how bad the gaming experience is. It is like an arcade game where an alien or copany guy pops up so you can shoot them. Don't worry about them harming you. People have made videos of sidestepping aliens thru a later level without firing a shot. The multiplayer is somewhat redeeming. The biggest problem is they put out a horrible game and without feeling an ounce of shame, they felt they could sell new content. They even have the nerve to sell a single player add-on, really??? This should be the lowest rated game of the year. Maybe Simcity would beat it other then the initial launch, but overall gameplay, this is hands down the worst of the year. There is no way they should charge 50 for the game then charge for the season pass. Give it away to make up for this abomination they tricked people into buying. Expand
  69. Feb 13, 2013
    First off I enjoyed this game to a point, there are however some glaring problems that just should not have made it through to the final product. AI dropping off completely, this happens all the time. A team member will randomly just stand around doing nothing; enemies will walk straight past them as they stare off blankly into space. Aliens will find a spot to zone out and wait for you to shoot them. This can be a problem if you are required to kill everything in some points of the game to progress onwards, it did not happen to me but if it does happen it will be game breaking.

Textures, there are so many bad textures, Gearbox are terrible for this, optimisation is no excuse on a PC version of a game. In 2013 I should not be looking at textures in a game that aren’t even up to par with the original Alien vs. Predator. That is where my complaints end, I didn’t notice any kill streaks or such garbage during my play through, the story had decent pacing and some decent elements and a few good twists to the Alien creature itself that made for some good reference material when thinking back to the movies. There are a few eye roll moments and some small plot holes, that don’t have much of a negative impact on the plot. It is a big fan service, and people who aren’t diehard fans of the franchise will be left feeling a bit ripped off.

The gun play was quite good, the sound assets were brilliant, there could however be a bit more kick to the rifles, all they do is spread. The old pulse rifle needs to have a bit of jump to it and the fact that the grenade launcher by default is the “f” key makes for some frustrating moments as being used to other games that the use key is f will get you killed in a close quarters situation, like trying to open a door. It’s an easy rebinding, but still a pain that it was not really well thought out.
    Overall I give AcM a 6/10, it definitely needs work. Hopefully the modding community will get on top of a texture pack, and Gearbox will patch the godforsaken AI. It’s not going to be for everyone, and I can understand the disappointment in it, saying to go in without expectations for the canonical sequel to one of the best sci-fi movies ever made is stupid, I would say that diehard fans should check it out when at the very least a decent patch comes out. Shame on you Gearbox, you can do so much better.
  70. Feb 17, 2013
    Thus far i've put around 7 hours into this game and like many others i'm very disappointed. I don't think it deserves all of the 1s and zeros it has here but it is definitely not worth the 50 dollars I spent. Imo this is at best a 30 dollar title IF you're a diehard fan of the franchise. The AI is obviously its biggest flaw, some human enemies will literally stand there indefinitely while I stare at them and the xenos don't do a whole lot other than charge directly at you or in the case of the spitters come to a dead stop while spitting long enough for you to kill them without any challenge. The graphics aren't as bad as some people are saying, they are just dated. They would stand out in 2009 probably. On the plus side I think it has some of the best sound effects in recent memory, at least with a 7.1 headset on. I also actually like the story as well as the pacing although I wish they'd have added more areas where you can't fire or rely on your weapons. This game isn't worth $50 and it may be Gearbox's lowest point thus far, but it doesn't deserve a 1 or 0, I think that is just spite and some people default to those scores automatically without thinking about it or in some cases without even playing the game they are reviewing. Expand
  71. Feb 12, 2013
    The first thing that you will notice after paying 60 bucks and booting this thing up is that it is possibly one of the ugliest modern shooters I have seen in a very long time. If you are a graphics enthusiest then this will make your eyeballs bleed. I have a fairly stout computer and was hoping for some meat on this thing, there is none. The first thing that came to mind (an after reading these reviews, many others as well) is Doom 3. and not the BFG edition. Some may argue that it is uglier. Its pretty bad. It is kind of fun though, but that is comming from a guy who is not a serious FPS player. I do enjoy cod series but if thats what you look for in all shooters, dont even come near this. But if you like shooters to a degree and are tired of the hardcore ones, and reminse about the days of return to wolfenstein and the like then this may be something to try. Not for 60 bucks though. 20 at the most. If you buy it now you will feel ripped. Being an aliens fan dosent hurt either but not being one will destroy any enjoyment you hope to have. The only reason it gets a 3 is cause of the alien thing. its not a bad shooter, just not a serious one, and a very very very very very ugly one. Its so ugly you will be floored. My jaw hit the ground. Expand
  72. Feb 12, 2013
    havent played the sp campaign much but the multiplayer has a lot of potential. MP just needs a little bit of tweaking on matchmaking and lag compensation. Host does have a distinct advantage in regards to hit boxes actually registering shots. overall the balance between aliens and marines is very good, neither class feels overpowered. Definitely more fun than black ops 2... not really saying much but what else are you gonna play? Expand
  73. Feb 12, 2013
    Don't believe the trolls, the game is good. I have been playing it for hours. It looks very nice. I play it on a 50" tv at max with a gtx 680..The co op is a lot of fun as well. i took HD screenshots in steam to disprove the lairs calling ti ugly.. Believe me, they are liars.. The co op and the multiplayer is fun. Gearbox is already on DAY 1 patching issues.. Who gives that kind of support? No one.. I am having a blast and if you don't buy it I feel sorry for ya.. Because you let troll cry babies ruing a good game for you. I don't trust meta critic anymore.. Their reviewers are mostly just trolls now a days it seems.. Crying constantly in every forum they can find as if it will save their life.. The game is good.. I like it.. Period.. Expand
  74. Feb 12, 2013
    The campaign doesn't have the most cinematic quality nor does it's story seem genuinely riveting. It suffers from poor facial animations and has some low rez graphics but it is still a lovingly crafted Aliens game which is telling in it's set design, accurate to the movies and it's enemy AI and animation. NPCs are underdeveloped but this still has some of the best Alien animation, AI and avatars I've seen in any official game from the franchise. The bravado of the marines may seem distasteful or unrelated to the franchise at first but for real die-hard fans of the movie it's quite humorous and almost self-referential. The guns in this game are well crafted, compared to previous AVP outings, and feature the original sounds as well as a ton of customization.

The multiplayer looks promising, being based on asymmetrical games Like L4D and allows you the opportunity to play as a Xeno in 3rd person.
  75. Feb 18, 2013
    Visuals are weak, getting better on LV-426, but still bad. It's not about the graphics, it's the atmosphere. And it doesn't feel like an Aliens related game at all. Aliens are weak and they seem to be missing ragdoll physics whatsoever. They get stuck inside walls and they melt like if they were vampires. Stormtroopers attack was a surprise, silencers on pulse rifles were unnecessary.
    Overall it's not a total disaster, the intro sequence was good, Henriksen and Biehn presence was also a good sign, but it all ended before it started. P.S. A good game for 10-15$.
  76. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that had a lot of potential, but ended up terribly. Blame the casual players! This game was supposed to be an awesome survival experience, but to make the game more accessible to a larger public, the incompetent directors of Sega and Gearbox decided to make it a Call of Duty clone. You don't even need to use the motion tracker one single moment on the entire campaign even on the hardest difficulty, because no enemy will ever spawn behind you. But if you can go through the festival of bugs, and the awful ending, you will able to enjoy a somewhat fun shooter with an actually good soundtrack. Expand
  77. Feb 12, 2013
    Well this is a game i have been waiting for a long time. And, truth be told, it's not great. First of all, the grafics are "ok" on the pc version. Not great, but ok. But they are not the problem with this game. First, the campaign is just bad. From the first 10 minutes into the game, it felt really wrong. If this is suppose, to be a direct and legit sequel to aliens, well... It sucks. The characters are all forgetable. I cared for none of them. NONE. They are a generic copy and paste from old school action game characters with no personality. If you liked Hudson, Hicks Vasq, drake, ect... None of the marines in this game come even close to them. You just DON'T CARE!!! The story was meh, the missions on the Sulaco were forgetable, but it gets better once you get to Hadley's hope. And the ending is just terrible. The campain is just 5 hours long give or take. Now... some of you might not care about the story. You just want the atmosphere and tensions from the movie right? Did gearbox pull it off? Well... To be fair, sound is good, music is accurate and yes Hadley's hope is very detailed and looks very accurate to the movie. But here is the thing where GBX messed up... And it's no small issue. The ALIENS... My god... the Aliens! They walk and move around like retards, they don't scare you, they just pop at you in (badly)scripted events. Think it stops there? I am just getting started... The AI is... It's..... I can't describe it. But Half-life 1 had a better AI then this piece of crap. Yes. HL 1, a game that came out YEARS ago, did better. ALIENS ARE RETARDS in this game. And don't think that they get smarter at higher difficulty setting... They don't, they just hit you harder. Like the motion tracker? don't bother using it! Aliens just pop in front you and try to give you a hug. What happened to the most feared monster in the galaxy? They just run at you like retarded zombies. I never felt ANY tension during the campain. (Well, except the stealth level, the only good moment in the campain). The AI is by far the kiss of death of this game. This migh just be a zombie game, it wouldn't make any difference. Co-op is a welcome addition and will definitly spice-up the experience. Provided that you set the difficulty level up, as the game dosen't scale according to the number of players in co-op. Multiplayer is probably the only enjoyable part of this game. Escape mode is fun to play as a marine as FINALLY you are facing Xenos with BRAINS. The motion tracker is usefull again. So yes it's fun and i can see myself playing it for some time... BUT........ playing as a xeno is... HORRIBLE! Wall climbing is by far the worst in ANY alien game i have seen so far. IT'S USELESS! You can't aim properly and perform attacks while you are on the wall. This is THE important part of being an alien, BEING ABLE TO ATTACK FROM ANY ANGLE!!!!! Why choose to make a 3rd person view to avoid people getting sick while wall climbing if wall climbing is broken in the first place? Screw the multiple alien races, an alien that can't climb on the wall properly is a dead alien. In short, they got the alien COMPLETLY wrong. Both in the Campain (Bad AI) and the multiplayer (Wall climbing+ attack is not much of an option). I used to have a lot of trust in gearbox games. But Duke Nukem forever, and now THIS! You have the greatest franchise of all TIME to toy with and this is what you DO with it? I swear, GBX needs to pull itself together. Expand
  78. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I was waiting for this game since last year. I was hoping that this game will be good because there are lots of alien games to be release this year (crysis 3, dead space). I was really disappointed and was hoping a lot more from this franchise.
  79. Apr 11, 2013
    Broken AI. It doesnt have the good atmosphere or the suspense.... Really what a let down!! and like the other reviewers said the Graphics are outdated, animation and blood/acid effects are very poor, sounds effects are very nice but what we have here strikes me as overall unfinished, unpolished, rushed, underdone.
  80. Feb 15, 2013
    1) Atrocious AI; especially the aliens. They just make a beeline for you.
    2) Dated graphics; unlike what was seen in the demos.
    3) First level was great with a great atmosphere and build up. It stops there, at the first level.
    4) "EPIC" boss battle.
    5) This is related to the second point; there's absolutely no sense of dread or "feel". Flip switch, run and gun, flip switch, run and gun.
  81. Oct 11, 2013
    The low ratings on this game are unbelievable. I've been playing the game in campaign coop mode with a friend and it has been a great experience. The gameplay dynamics are solid, with good controls. The graphics are decent with great lighting effects. Progressive weapon upgrades add to the experience. The story augments the play. I can only think that the game was released with too many bugs or something for people to rate it so low. We've not experienced any issues, so can only assume any problems have subsequently been repaired. Playing on Steam, drop-in/out connectivity is superb and well integrated. Good solid aliens fun. If you're a fan of the genre, I don't know how you couldn't find at least the current $20 asking price worth of fun and entertainment. Expand
  82. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is not bad i see that is better on the pc because the pc versions do not have problems whit graphic.The gameplay is ok you will get scared sometimes and if you play it on a harder difficulty the game gets harder and better.My biggest issue is the stupid friendly AI it is just stupid it lets the xenos kill you without helping but they still help sometimes.The game does not deserve 1 and 4 it deserves a 7 or a 6.6 out of 10 if you do not like aliens you will not like this game a lot but if you like aliens and you have friends that have time to play co-op whit you than thee game gets better.My final verdict is a 7/10 Expand
  83. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is not recommended, its a bad PC port for starters, the singelplayer story is neither good nor bad, The AI is broken and not at all challenging, They introduced a expensive DLC pass with content cut from the game, that they expect us to pay for. The multiplayer has some potential, but its not worth it, considering you pay a full price for a game that you finish the singerplayer in less than 10 hours, and a multiplayer thats hardly worth it as a alone light in the darkness. Expand
  84. Feb 12, 2013
    I would rate the first part of the game below average, That part is set on a space ship, and this is where you encounter human enemies besides aliens. The main problem of the game is the DUMB AI. This ruins the fight with human enemies, but ultimately ruins every part of the game where you are teamed up with human npcs. Team mates get stuck frequently, they are left behind, stay in front of you at the wrong times (basically they are useless and annoying...I would rather go alone, than with a marine that is not good for anything...). The second part is set on LV-426 (Aliens took place here). I would rate this part of A:CM average, with some better than average parts. It was fun to encounter the sets of Aliens (especially if you love the universe of the movies). Here the game focuses on the aliens. There is also a mission where you need to rely on stealth (it was a highlight of the game, with creepy lighting and sounds). There are some tense moment in the game, but I never felt scared (There were some intense moments, but I felt the game is lacking tension). The movement of the enemies felt clunchy. This is probably due to the small and closed spaces where most encounters with aliens took place. Many time they are spawned behind the player or just running around. Weapon customisation was a nice addition. The story is average, while characters are very "two dimensional" (with many cheesy dialogues....). Overall the game felt like a generic shooter, set in the Aliens universe, which would deserve a better game than Aliens: Colonial Marines. Collapse
  85. Jun 23, 2013
    WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? This game is pure trash. Broken AI, horrible graphics, terrible story and most of the time you shoot humans??? I give this 1 and not 0 cause i like aliens, but this game is really bad joke
  86. Feb 15, 2013
    The absolute worst game of 2013 so far. The single player is 5 HOURS, FIVE MO******CKING HOURS AND IT IS BORING, REPETITIVE AND PREDICTABLE. The characters are forgettable. The story is forgettable. The AI is they stop and wait for you and forgets that there is Xenomorphs around. And my biggest complain is that you fight Weyland-Yutani soldiers INSTEAD OF XENOMORPHS WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY DO THAT!? THIS IS AN ALIENS GAME! Ok so the story is you are a guy named Winter and you are on a spaceship when it gets attacked by xenomorphs then you find out that guess who is behind it? That is right Weyland-Yutani then the spaceship crashes on the planet then find Hadley's Hope after that the story is BULL****! Expand
  87. Feb 20, 2013
    I love this game, it worth every penny I spent. Seriously people, it's not that bad. Let's look at the problem people are talking about: Graphic Sucks Alright, I can related to this, the graphic is very poor, textures has really low resolution, and no “Real” anti-aliasing options make things looks jaggy at times. But to say it's horrible? I'm sure you guys hasn't played FEAR 3 before, it's graphic is way worst than ACM, it's story is uninspired and makes no sense at all, but it scores 7.5 on gamespot, really? If we apply the standard people enforce on ACM, every game needs to have Crysis level graphics and big-shot writer script to be call a decent game. But since it's obviously we don't judge a game by it's graphics, than why does ACM gets so much more hate for this?

AI is stupid, no challenge unless play the hardest difficulty

I finished the game on Soldier difficulty, I don't even know where is this opinion coming from, the AI is fine in my opinion. Yes sometimes your AI teammates get stuck on some places, but it's not like it never happened to other games before, and for me it only happens 1~2 times so it didn't bothers me at all. Enemy Xenomorph are fairly intelligent, I heard people are complaining about “They only charge at you, they don't flank you or anything.” I have to say from my own experience, the xenos can move very fast and surround you very quickly if you don't have a good aim, also they pounce at you from a distance sometimes, makes you have to keep pressing E to survive, I say they are fairly challenging. Don't forget the Xenos outnumbering the player by a huge percentage, if they all play hide and seek and being very smart, marines won't have a chance! You wouldn't have a game here.

Story makes no sense, bad ending.

I partially agree with this, the game could use a better story, the ending is a bit abrupt yes, but understandable.(sort of) But even though, I don't think the story is THAT bad, not bad enough to warrant all the hate it got anyway.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to the mindset you got when you play the game. If you got all hyped up by the PR, then you probably going to be very disappointed. But when I play this game I walk into it with one simple mindset

”Kill Xenomorph with Pulse Rifle and Smartgun, visit Sulaco and LV-426, experience the scenes from the movie ”

And I got everything I was paying for, so for me, this game rocks, as for people who expected more than this, unless RIDLEY SCOTT and JAMES CAMERON themselves are working on this project, you are expecting too much from Gearbox.
  88. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  89. Feb 25, 2013
    I wasted $60 of my hard earn money and 30 mins of my life.I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator, its way much better than this huge mistake that will sink the aliens franchise Expand
  90. Jun 20, 2013
    This is a painfully average game, the Aliens franchise deserved a whole lot better than this half-assed thing. The graphics are functional, nothing otherworldly, but bear in mind that this is more accurate after the 4GB patch, but an important gotcha, they look nothing, and I mean NOTHING like what they show on the demo footage, it's a ripoff and a trick to get you to buy something that it's not what you're seeing. The storyline is frankly the stupidest and most damaging thing I've seen inflicted on this series, there is a plot hole so freaking huge that the mystery character that appears just says "too long to explain", that's it, that's the explaination for shamelessly raping the movie Aliens.
    There is a pointless cameo of Hadley's Hope, just fan service, which granted, could have been nice, but is so underwhelming that I wish I hadn't played that part, I love the move Aliens so much that playing through that and getting so disappointed was damaging to the soul of a hardcore fan such as me; it's surprising how little damage a thermonuclear explosion caused on the main colony complex.
    The characters are forgettable, honestly I remember more, and had way more fun with the main characters from Aliens vs Predator 2 (great game, btw).
    The action is fast paced, but the enemy AI is the stupidest thing I've seen in a while, these are the most charming, most tame Aliens I've ever seen, they really do their best not to hurt you, adorable! You see hints of good ideas, like sometimes you see them hiding in the shadows, and they fail at leaping at you, or attempting to attack after you shoot them, painfully easy.
    The multiplayer is horrible and boring, I haven't seen an Aliens game with xenomorphs so stiff to move! The marines are far more suited for combat than the aliens.
    Avoid this game if you're an Aliens fan (though if you're one, you'll probably make the same mistake I did and not heed to advice
  91. Feb 13, 2013
    Terrible 2005 era graphics, underwhelming audio, bad dialogue, bugged, uninspiring, unpolished and barely any atmosphere. A review embargo until release day got me wondering what was wrong, and now I know. This is the first game in years where I have true buyers remorse. I want my pre-order money back.
  92. Feb 12, 2013
    I played for five minutes which would normally not count as enough, though this might be the exception. i would have given this a 6-isch if it was 2006 now, but its 2013 and its been in developement since 2006, when i first saw this game i thought finally someone would make a kickass game, but it runs like and my comp is great. i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this, MP might be fun but its so worthlessly done it doesnt deserve your time and money! Expand
  93. Feb 18, 2013
    Not wanting to discuss plot for spoiler reasons, I'll stick to mentioning awful AI, poor level design, baffling plot choices (single player), horrific balance (multiplayer, spitters ftw) and some of the worst scripting and voice acting I've heard, ever.
    The game isn't worth your time, Gearbox should be ashamed.
  94. Apr 1, 2013
    Randy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this game since 2001 and like all things aliens i knew it would suck, and with all the delays from borderlands too Duke we all knew this game would suck. Now this proves Pitchford is a lair. And borderlands is crap. Expand
  95. Dec 19, 2013
    I dont understand why this game gets so much flak. Im not even aliens fan, and having bought the game recently i honetly love it. Capmaign is interesting and its great to visit places from the movie. Weapons feel awesome, squadmates shoot and even sometimes kill, and aliens behave like they should crawlng evrywhere, evading attacks and close distances very quickly. Compared to AVP 2010 its a good game. Much mor dynamic and fast and responsive, great atmosphere too.

It feels to me that most people here give over-inflated negative reviews for some reason, well I decided to do an honest one. So to me the game is 9 and I have barely touched the multiplayer yet.(and its fun!)

1. Graphics 7.5 nice atmospheric and lighting effects
    2. Music 9 totally suitable for aliens game(heroic and tense)
    3. Sound 10 sound effects are just great from pulse rifle hissing
    4. Amosphere 10 very very convincing
    5. Story 7. Good but nothing too special
    6. Voice acting 8 solid
    7. Gamplay 9 fluid and plenty of guns/customisation
    8. AI 8 aliens hav very good ai they are very agile ane bhave like animals should. Humans ai is alright as wll, they even flank you if your not careful.
    9. Multiplayer havnt played long enoght to score. But first feel -about 8.

please take in account that I have bought the game recntly so it is a fully patched version.
  96. Mar 29, 2013
    what is this aliens:colonial marines or human:colonial marines.i loved the first level and i thought why people hate this game so much,now i understand.aliens colonial mariens is a terrible game in the first level the graphics are good after the first level has became one of the worst game i have ever played the desing is horrible the fact that this game called aliens:colonial mariens and you are fighting humans more than half of the game or that the game ending is just horrible and easy or that the game is 7 hours on ultimate bad ass the only thing that lets me give this game a 2/10 instead a zero is the multiplayer its quite fun but its doesnt help this game to be good.aliens colonial marines=one of the top 10 worst game on angry joe list and also my list Expand
  97. Feb 14, 2013
    Pros: Graphics are fitting to the gameplay, Story line is well done and fitting in nicely with the movies story lines. Marines don't move at super speeds so its not a twitch shooter. Hardest setting makes it feel like movies. Running out of ammo and bugs coming out of the walls and you'll dead fast if your not watching your step.

Cons: Multiplayer is a little weak due to no AI aliens
    to help swarm the marines...It would be something nice to see if added... Deathmatch and cap the flag modes are dull.... Seen a few bugs with the AI friendly/foes yet I've seen this in games such as Skyrim and so on... With a few patches should be good.. Is this game worth your time Yes if you like Aliens... Far better than the AVP games Expand
  98. Feb 18, 2013
    An average FPS, all the fun is due to the fact that you can enjoy the nice working radar and the good old pulse rifle.
    If you close your eyes you will feel like you're really into one of the Alien movies, but when reopening them you will be really disappointed by the stupid A.I., the poor storytelling and the bad presentation.
    Gameplay would be fun if not affected by all those bugs, the
    enemies act like they're animals, the strategy that you expect from the creatures just does not exist in this game, the human enemies will randomly leave covering position and your fellow soldiers are more a pain in the ass than an aid (the worst thing is that most of the issues could be corrected by a proper debug phase).
    Graphics are 6.5/10, but the use of lights and shadows is light years far from the 1977 masterpiece and some of textures are so much low res for a 2013 game.
    Sound is good in complex, but some audio effects are missing and the music is simply trivial.
    The weapons upgrade system is nice and the unlockable add-ons are well distributed.
    In conclusion, if you are an Alien fan that can close one eye (or two), you will enjoy shooting some xenomorphs.
    Otherwise just run away without looking back.
  99. Nov 25, 2013
    I can't help but feel sad about Alien fans, who paid the full retail price to play this title. I paid $5 and I feel like that was a waste of money, as I didn't even have the desire to finish it... Library Delete Local Content.... Done. Now I feel better.
  100. Feb 12, 2013
    The people who saw the first 2 movies should NOT play this game. A total disgrace to the amazing movies! I returned DS3 for this, but omg does this suck on PC. Apart from the sad fact that this is as always just a simple conosoleport, it really looks poor. The world is so damn empty..... I mean "tension" and ""suspense"? Where the hell is it? Very low textures, ugly game, way to easy and full of minor bugs as in they rushed this game out. Keep you money in your pocket, because this game is plain and stupid! Expand
  101. Feb 12, 2013