3.4

1. Mar 16, 2013
    This game is below average, no question about it. One has to wonder how to mess up a aliens game, but somehow it happened in this case. The action is boring and repetitive, the aliens are not threatening or scary, the story makes no sense and the characters are uninspired. Not mention bugs and lack polish. The game feels rushed. It manages to surprise at parts with good lighting andThis game is below average, no question about it. One has to wonder how to mess up a aliens game, but somehow it happened in this case. The action is boring and repetitive, the aliens are not threatening or scary, the story makes no sense and the characters are uninspired. Not mention bugs and lack polish. The game feels rushed. It manages to surprise at parts with good lighting and interesting locations from the movie. I would give this game a 3 but as a fan of the aliens franchise I bumped it up to 4. Huge disappointment. Collapse
  2. Mar 18, 2013
    Thats the first and last time I preorder a game. I was never so disapointed like for this game. 49 EUR for a game, that is unfinished and comes with a really lousy graphic.
  3. Apr 27, 2013
    Gearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its theGearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its the only way to be sure! Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2013

I am amazed this even got released in it's current form. There is so much hate and frustration go put in here, but it is covered in the other negative posts. For PC, dont buy this (as of 24/03/13). Patches might make it better, cause I have such faith in Gearbox (and their Borderlands), but in current state it is such a disappointment. In all

For PC, dont buy this (as of 24/03/13). Patches might make it better, cause I have such faith in Gearbox (and their Borderlands), but in current state it is such a disappointment. In all regards.

"2" for somewhat decent encounters and graphics once in a while (very rarely).

(PC)
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    save yourself the frustration and money and buy something else,having pre ordered this i was expecting a reasonable quality game,considering all the hype and pre release videos,needless to say,i was conned.
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle. even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle.
    even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality release should be,and this is just second rate at best.

A:CM to be avoided like the plague
  6. Mar 24, 2013
    Waste of money. DO NOT BUY. Has the story of a fan-fiction, repetitive boring gameplay, annoying bugs, worst A.I ever, and the multiplayer is pretty bad. Entertained me a bit, but not before that experience being ruined by a crappy bug or just getting bored.
  7. May 13, 2013
    Worst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap inWorst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap in the face for all fans. At least Mutliplayer is good, balanced and makes fun. Even the Co-Op is a joke if you compare it to Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead, Payday The Heist. We expected more tension in Co-Op, but what to expect by such ugly graphics which can´t produce enough atmosphere to let the aliens look terrifying. They feel like no danger and they die to easily. The developers threw them against you like they had nothing else to offer as danger in this game, than hordes of aliens and HUMANS! Who wants to shoot humans in such a boring game? It´s getting even more boring. A total fail. There´s one dense scene though, were you have to sneak, but thats no reason to buy it. Take it from the shelf and spit on it. Expand
  8. Apr 7, 2013
    This is a waste of money and (Alien) license: the game fails to recreate the athmosphere of the series.
    Even if the overall gameplay is not too bad, AI of the game seems not good and the graphics disappointing.
  9. May 1, 2013
    I bought this for aliens, why im a sadled against humans most of the time.
    Why is the AI as dumb as a donkey, why isnt this what they advertised it to be.
    I gave no hoot to my fellow marines in this game cause there so uninterestingly boring.
    And the End boss omg, zero but absolutly ZERO inovation whatsoever.
    What a let down.
  10. Sep 7, 2013
    To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up.To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up. Overall it's a bland game in which you shoot weapons that doesn't really feel like weapons, at enemies that merely keep scrambling and charging at you with little AI to speak of.

The gameplay and graphics are both one generation behind. You won't want to play Aliens colonial marines when you could have spent about the same amount of money on other top-of-the-line shooters like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3.
  11. Aug 29, 2013
    I had extremely low expectations going in for this game. After being patched and out for a while, I figured five bucks wasn't a big risk but it was a complete waste. The graphics are horrible, might be passable four or five years ago, but they're really bad and even the art style is bad. The gameplay is worse...The first alien I encountered sort of just sat there with his back turned to meI had extremely low expectations going in for this game. After being patched and out for a while, I figured five bucks wasn't a big risk but it was a complete waste. The graphics are horrible, might be passable four or five years ago, but they're really bad and even the art style is bad. The gameplay is worse...The first alien I encountered sort of just sat there with his back turned to me while I shot him dead. The AI really is awful, your teammates are pretty useless. Aliens swarm at you in massive numbers, die easily, and look they've been hit by paintballs as they lie dead. I love the Aliens setting and thought I would give it a chance, but I can't even bring myself to play it, it's simply not fun at all. Expand
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    Easily one of the most disappointing games of 2013, I am a huge fans of Aliens and I couldn't wait to play this game when it got announced many years ago. When I played this game I was greeted with terrible graphics, boring gameplay, horrible A.I and boring story. I just can't believe that FOX has approved this and made it canon to the film! What a joke.

On the bright side, The

On the bright side, The multi-player was fun while it lasted, Shame really as Gearbox seemed to care more about the online gameplay than the actual campaign.

If you REALLY want to play this... Well you know what to do.
  13. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is Über crap. Pre-ordered the game. Biggest letdown of the year. graphics are outdated and gameplay is boring. No scares at all.. Don't waste money on this..
  14. Apr 16, 2013
    I was so looking forward to this title telling my friends finally there's gonna be an Aliens game sequel showing the footage from E3..Seeing there's co-op on the mission we couldn't wait to be in the boots on the ground finding what happened to the Sulaco marines..I bought the game and the DLC thinking expensive but this so gonna be worth it...Then finally its a piece of crap so let downI was so looking forward to this title telling my friends finally there's gonna be an Aliens game sequel showing the footage from E3..Seeing there's co-op on the mission we couldn't wait to be in the boots on the ground finding what happened to the Sulaco marines..I bought the game and the DLC thinking expensive but this so gonna be worth it...Then finally its a piece of crap so let down man the graphics on AVP 2010 were more better than this pile of stinking crap..Lets see Randy Pitchford carter burke and gearbox weyland yutani now i know how ripley and the crew of sulaco felt when the got back stabbed by burke and weyland and left to die... Expand
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    I'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day beforeI'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day before release and I'm sitting there paying for the preorder through steam, thinking to myself "isn't it odd that there isn't a single actual gameplay video for this game? No teaser no nothing that is relevant to the release candidate?". Well I learned my lesson we can say that. I am not going to sum up everything I thought was wrong about this game, but I think I was one of the few that actually didn't mind the graphics. The worst part was the gameplay itself. It's an aliens game that is actually more difficult during the parts where you fight humans. Which happens roughly 50-60% of the game, or at least feels like it because it's harder. There are WAY too WY soldiers to fight in this game. The aliens in this game are laughably bad at what they do, so much so that it's not even scary to fight the aliens, not even difficult to say the least. They either run straight at you, or are a "spitter" alien (dreamt up by someone who theorized it would make a good game element in multiplayer probably) with a glowing head that you can see from a mile away. The multiplayer while it is somewhat fun, is basically just a back and forth with aliens and marines in a small call of duty arena style battle. Good luck getting into any other game modes beyond team deathmatch because everyone has already moved on from the game. If this game ended up going the multiplayer route of natural selection 2, this game could have actually been awesome. Even if all the other gaping flaws still existed, the natural selection 2 multiplayer model with an aliens theme would have been so so sick.

The worst part about this game is without a doubt the alien melee "pistol" finishers. I have never seen such a waste of animation in my entire goddamn life. Let me put it this way. In an aliens game, if you put your entire hand and pistol in an aliens mouth (and alien with molecular acid blood) and pull the trigger, you better be either pulling a half melted pistol out of it's mouth or be screaming while the bones fall off your hand for me to even START believing the character just did that. But no, your character will jam his pistol and hand into the aliens mouth, pull the trigger, and pull it out completely unscathed. I'm SHOCKED I haven't seen more complains about this, because this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The lack of realistic consequences in this game absolutely kills any potential of fear.
  16. Apr 11, 2013
    Broken AI. It doesnt have the good atmosphere or the suspense.... Really what a let down!! and like the other reviewers said the Graphics are outdated, animation and blood/acid effects are very poor, sounds effects are very nice but what we have here strikes me as overall unfinished, unpolished, rushed, underdone.
  17. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  18. Apr 1, 2013
    Randy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this gameRandy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this game since 2001 and like all things aliens i knew it would suck, and with all the delays from borderlands too Duke we all knew this game would suck. Now this proves Pitchford is a lair. And borderlands is crap. Expand
  19. Mar 9, 2013
    It is not just about outdated graphics, Gearbox presented this game as a OFFICIAL sequel to the Cameron's ALIENS movie which influenced most of the Science Fiction games and some movies for a very long time. The game itself feels like a game made in less than a year by someone who does not give a damm about the outcome. And here it is, everyone is annoyed with Gearbox, Randy Pitchford doesIt is not just about outdated graphics, Gearbox presented this game as a OFFICIAL sequel to the Cameron's ALIENS movie which influenced most of the Science Fiction games and some movies for a very long time. The game itself feels like a game made in less than a year by someone who does not give a damm about the outcome. And here it is, everyone is annoyed with Gearbox, Randy Pitchford does not like to be called a liar and deletes negative feedback on his Twitter.

This game is a lie, the demo that was presented on E3 looks nowhere like the final product. It is just disapointing.

This game is garbage and it is not worth at all.
  20. Apr 3, 2013
    Biggest pile of crap I've seen in a long time, if i could rate it lower than zero I would. Rubbish campaign, laughable AI, the population online is around 200 people worldwide according to some reports I've seen. Don't bother wasting your money on this. screw Gearbox.
  21. Mar 3, 2013
    As a MASSIVE Aliens fan, I was beyond upset with this game (I literally cried because of how bad this game was). Other than the decent multiplayer, some pretty cool environments, and the awesome sounds and music in the game, they did NOTHING right! The Xenos behave oddly and tend to clip into the environment, the story is bland and boring! Not to mention the unbelievably retarded plotAs a MASSIVE Aliens fan, I was beyond upset with this game (I literally cried because of how bad this game was). Other than the decent multiplayer, some pretty cool environments, and the awesome sounds and music in the game, they did NOTHING right! The Xenos behave oddly and tend to clip into the environment, the story is bland and boring! Not to mention the unbelievably retarded plot twist! The graphics are just an eye sore, even for me! I rarely complain about graphics but after seeing the demo, the retail version is just awful. The characters are boring and uninteresting. The A.I. of your marine companions is just down right stupid and the coop is just broken! And then we get to the WORST part of the game. You spend 2/3 of the game FIGHTING HUMANS! NOT the aliens, but the humans! Why would you put human enemies in an ALIENS GAME?!?!?! Even worse these parts feel more like a Call of Duty game than an Aliens game. Avoid this game at ALL costs! If you need an Aliens fix, go get AvP 1, 2, or 3. This game isn't worth your time. If it wasn't for the multiplayer, and even then it's broken and very unbalanced, this game would get a 0 from me. I am SO upset. Expand
  22. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't waste time retreading the same ground everyone else and point out one simple fact, it's made by Gearbox.

Gearbox is and always has been a mediocre game developer. Their big claim to fame is borderlands which is essentially if you put world of warcrafts boring quest system into a wasteland, put it in first person mode, then tout how it has millions of guns but the fact is 1 out of 10,000 are actually an upgrade (repainting the same crummy pistol 5,000 times doesn't make 5,000 different guns) and finally start pimping DLC for the game before it even releases and then keep releasing more to nickel and dime your customers to death by turning a 60 dollar turd into a 100 dollar turd. They also made duke nukem forever which as we all know is a giant steaming pile of you know what and is a god awful abortion from start to finish. The best games they actually made were the brothers in arms games which aren't as terrible as those other two games but its still incredibly sterile, generic and uninspired. BIA is your basic mediocre WW2 shooter and nothing else. They have a few other games under their belt but they are all titles no one really cares about and faded into obscurity as soon as they were released. Bottom line is Gearbox is a terrible game maker and this is a terrible game.

Now for a quickie about colonial marines.

The story is nothing short of fan fiction written by someone who cannot write but still posts to their blog and believes themselves to be a great writer. It's kind of like how a young girl will take pictures of furniture sitting in a shadow in black and white and then think they are really deep and brooding for taking such artistic photographs when in fact it's just garbage. They tried to wink at the fans so hard their eyes have fallen out because of it. Everything about it feels very amateur, boring and forced. It feels more like they did a sci-fi channel original aliens movie, or something that went direct to video.

The game is buggy as you can get. I've flown out the side of things and floated high in the air stuck. I've had allies that would stick in walls. Hell I found out in section you were supposed to be stealthy starting out and I just ran past every alien and once I passed them they forgot about me and I finished a level without firing a shot. I see environmental objects get stuck in things and so on.

All the pretty and cool looking screenshots and videos I've been seeing for over a year from now weren't from the same game they released. You can easily find comparison videos showing the game released looks just awful compared to the "in game footage" they showed in the past.

Multiplayer is very sterile and pretty much what you'd expect. It's so boring in fact that multiplayer will be a ghost town in 2 months.

The game play its pretty much call of duty. It's just a mix of "it's the last stand....again" and "quick run through fast as you can" with some boring corridor stalking in between.

I could go into great depth, I could go on and on naming other things I didn't like but you can read other Amazon reviews and see exactly what I've got to say.

So really if you must play this, wait till its 10 dollars. Trust me it won't take very long before it gets there. And next time, don't pay full price for a Gearbox title.
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    A game that is not that good in overall. I have played at my friend's PS3 and the graphics were even worse that on PC. My deal is, why on earth is the DEMO look even nicer than the original game? Who would pay 49.99 USD for a game that looks like a 2003 one?
    As for the gameplay, it just sucks due to the amount of details not added in the original game from the demo. Weird storyline in overall. All thanks to their ridiculous management by handing the game to a infamous company.
  24. Apr 26, 2013
    When I first heard of the bad reviews in Aliens: Colonial Marines, that's when I actually started watching Aliens the movies. I wasn't even born at the time the movies got released and I never had much interest in that, but since I've been a gamer since I was a kid, I wanted to like Colonial Marines. I watched the movies, to get up to date with the story, and I loved it. The atmosphere,When I first heard of the bad reviews in Aliens: Colonial Marines, that's when I actually started watching Aliens the movies. I wasn't even born at the time the movies got released and I never had much interest in that, but since I've been a gamer since I was a kid, I wanted to like Colonial Marines. I watched the movies, to get up to date with the story, and I loved it. The atmosphere, the sound, the special effect (by the times standards) were amazing. And that is exactly everything what Colonial Marines missed. There is no atmosphere as the Xenomorphs just come running towards you in stead of lurking in the shadows, the sounddesign is sooo poorly done it barely makes me care about anything that is happening, and the graphics are mediocre at its very best. I decided to give it a 4/10 because this game actually made me watch the movies and made me love them. It could have been an okay 6/10 title if they would have released it as an indie game. Expand
  25. Mar 2, 2013
    I could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to beI could not put more than 10min into this! I can forgive week graphics, the lame story, dumb UI design ,and really REALLY bad voice actors who seamed like they were sleep talking...; but I can not get past the fact that this is not even close to finished. The AI does not seem to care if I am even playing. I can walk right up to the aliens and they ignore me because they seem to be perfecting the "harlem shake". Get this, you can play with a buddy in co-op on the same screen... BUT you can not play verses with them on the same screen... WTH I am so pissed at this game I am writing this review.... I am so pissed that I want my $2 dollars and 10mins back from renting this garbage! Duke Nukem was better! Expand
  26. Mar 3, 2013
    Although visually 'pretty' the, the game was let down by over-dramatics and odd musical themes. I would be looking elsewhere, probably minecraft for my next gaming fix. Thanks a lot.
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    The game itself is not THAT bad, i would give it 4/10 compared to other current AAA game releases.
    However, the amount of lies and misinformation from Gearbox should be punished so that other companies will learn the lesson from this. Hence the 0/10 rating.
  28. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a muchThis game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Expand
  29. Mar 8, 2013
    So this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, andSo this is Gearbox and its CEO:s Randy Pitchford dreamproject which they hyped so much. Pile of absolute garbage with full pricetag and deceiving advertising, like that demo they showed before release which actually looked decent. Talk about deception and lying. You had six years time to finish this and we get this, mediocre shooter with five hour campaign, aliens you can ran past, and human opposites. Who wants to shoot humans in Aliens game? Shame on you Gearbox! Expand
  30. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is not all its cracked up to be. pretty let down by this one. average graphics, tedious storyline, substandard weapons, cheesy in game conversations. shame could have been so much better!
  31. Mar 16, 2013