Aliens: Colonial Marines PC

3.5

1. Mar 1, 2013
    Don't even bother. This game looked absolutely amazing in the trailer, but like so many others fell flat on it's face. It's a disgrace to mar the Aliens franchise with this BS.

First of all, the pulse rifle doesn't sound right. Secondly, it's over powered. You can tear an alien to shreds by merely showing it your weapon, yet human opponents can take several hits before they die.. duh, ok.

Aside from that unforgivable oversight, the game is VERY boring. Level design is pish, AI is pish, no tension, no action, BORING!!! That's about as much as I'm going to say, as this title doesn't justify the time I've already wasted on it. Gearbox, srsly.
  2. Mar 21, 2013
    This is NOT a game! Because games are funny and pretty but this game is terrible. Please anyone not buy this game. Sorry Gearbox, not well, so terrible.I think "hah is this a game?"
  3. Mar 18, 2013
    Thats the first and last time I preorder a game. I was never so disapointed like for this game. 49 EUR for a game, that is unfinished and comes with a really lousy graphic.
  4. Apr 27, 2013
    Gearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its theGearbox has really gotten on my bad side lately. They went from great games like Brothers in Arms and Borderlands, to A:CM and Duke Nukem Forever. With the Brothers in Arms Furious Four coming out i think i wanna punch Gearbox in the face. This game was a lying, false advertised piece of sh*t that pisses of die hard Aliens fans like myself. Avoid at all costs, nuke it from orbit! Its the only way to be sure! Expand
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    save yourself the frustration and money and buy something else,having pre ordered this i was expecting a reasonable quality game,considering all the hype and pre release videos,needless to say,i was conned.
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle. even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality
    utter garbage from a top shelf company.
    the best thing about this game was the sound of the pulse rifle.
    even with the patch,its hardly worth playing. Tombraider shows what a quality release should be,and this is just second rate at best.

A:CM to be avoided like the plague
  6. May 13, 2013
    Worst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap inWorst game ever created by Gearbox (TimeGate). Gearbox, you lost 50% of my trust in you. At least Borderlands shows that you have talent. Use your good men and women on only one project and concentrate, don´t hire other idiots to do the job like Timegate. You fools! Terrible AI, ugly graphics, low atmosphere, bad animations, boring and uninteresting story and the boss fight is a slap in the face for all fans. At least Mutliplayer is good, balanced and makes fun. Even the Co-Op is a joke if you compare it to Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead, Payday The Heist. We expected more tension in Co-Op, but what to expect by such ugly graphics which can´t produce enough atmosphere to let the aliens look terrifying. They feel like no danger and they die to easily. The developers threw them against you like they had nothing else to offer as danger in this game, than hordes of aliens and HUMANS! Who wants to shoot humans in such a boring game? It´s getting even more boring. A total fail. There´s one dense scene though, were you have to sneak, but thats no reason to buy it. Take it from the shelf and spit on it. Expand
  7. Sep 7, 2013
    To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up.To give this game justice, if it is released in around 2004-05, it would have gotten a good grade, 7.5-8.5. But this is year 2013 and this game is simply a generation behind. The control is clunky, the firearms feels plastic in a way that doesn't convince you, and the way aliens dies/explodes don't seem to reflect how shots landed on them. Very unpolished in terms of atmospheric build-up. Overall it's a bland game in which you shoot weapons that doesn't really feel like weapons, at enemies that merely keep scrambling and charging at you with little AI to speak of.

The gameplay and graphics are both one generation behind. You won't want to play Aliens colonial marines when you could have spent about the same amount of money on other top-of-the-line shooters like Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3.
  8. Apr 16, 2013
    I was so looking forward to this title telling my friends finally there's gonna be an Aliens game sequel showing the footage from E3..Seeing there's co-op on the mission we couldn't wait to be in the boots on the ground finding what happened to the Sulaco marines..I bought the game and the DLC thinking expensive but this so gonna be worth it...Then finally its a piece of crap so let downI was so looking forward to this title telling my friends finally there's gonna be an Aliens game sequel showing the footage from E3..Seeing there's co-op on the mission we couldn't wait to be in the boots on the ground finding what happened to the Sulaco marines..I bought the game and the DLC thinking expensive but this so gonna be worth it...Then finally its a piece of crap so let down man the graphics on AVP 2010 were more better than this pile of stinking crap..Lets see Randy Pitchford carter burke and gearbox weyland yutani now i know how ripley and the crew of sulaco felt when the got back stabbed by burke and weyland and left to die... Expand
  9. Mar 28, 2013
    I'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day beforeI'm giving this a 2 because I actually got enjoyment out of it. But as far as games go I feel like I wasted my 50$. This game will likely be 5$ on a steam sale in a year for sure. I got sucked in as a die hard aliens fan. Before this game even got released I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Not because of something we were shown, but because of what we WEREN'T shown. A day before release and I'm sitting there paying for the preorder through steam, thinking to myself "isn't it odd that there isn't a single actual gameplay video for this game? No teaser no nothing that is relevant to the release candidate?". Well I learned my lesson we can say that. I am not going to sum up everything I thought was wrong about this game, but I think I was one of the few that actually didn't mind the graphics. The worst part was the gameplay itself. It's an aliens game that is actually more difficult during the parts where you fight humans. Which happens roughly 50-60% of the game, or at least feels like it because it's harder. There are WAY too WY soldiers to fight in this game. The aliens in this game are laughably bad at what they do, so much so that it's not even scary to fight the aliens, not even difficult to say the least. They either run straight at you, or are a "spitter" alien (dreamt up by someone who theorized it would make a good game element in multiplayer probably) with a glowing head that you can see from a mile away. The multiplayer while it is somewhat fun, is basically just a back and forth with aliens and marines in a small call of duty arena style battle. Good luck getting into any other game modes beyond team deathmatch because everyone has already moved on from the game. If this game ended up going the multiplayer route of natural selection 2, this game could have actually been awesome. Even if all the other gaping flaws still existed, the natural selection 2 multiplayer model with an aliens theme would have been so so sick.

The worst part about this game is without a doubt the alien melee "pistol" finishers. I have never seen such a waste of animation in my entire goddamn life. Let me put it this way. In an aliens game, if you put your entire hand and pistol in an aliens mouth (and alien with molecular acid blood) and pull the trigger, you better be either pulling a half melted pistol out of it's mouth or be screaming while the bones fall off your hand for me to even START believing the character just did that. But no, your character will jam his pistol and hand into the aliens mouth, pull the trigger, and pull it out completely unscathed. I'm SHOCKED I haven't seen more complains about this, because this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. The lack of realistic consequences in this game absolutely kills any potential of fear.
  10. Nov 6, 2013
    Crapbox strikes again. many rumors surround the infamous development cycle this game went through. Outsourcing most of the work, stealing funds from this project and putting them into their other games, etc. But one thing is certain. Gearbox never cared at all about this game. It's a complete disaster from start to finish. The only redeeming quality about this game is that it takes placeCrapbox strikes again. many rumors surround the infamous development cycle this game went through. Outsourcing most of the work, stealing funds from this project and putting them into their other games, etc. But one thing is certain. Gearbox never cared at all about this game. It's a complete disaster from start to finish. The only redeeming quality about this game is that it takes place in the Aliens universe, which is awesome. Being a big Aliens fan, my review score is a bit higher than it normally would be if I didn't care about the license (probably a 2 or 3/10). Other than that, Aliens is a stale shooter which offers entirely linear gameplay and uninteresting multiplayer. The story is confusing and nonsensical, the characters are completely forgettable and there is no reason to care for any of them. While the voice acting for some of the characters is actually quite good, the lip syncing is terrible. Graphics and effects and other sounds are well below par. The AI is among the worst I've ever seen. The list goes on and on. The only people that should even think about buying this game are fans of the Aliens franchise. Everyone else needs to stay far away. After three disaster games in a row (Duke Nuke, Borderlands 2, and now this), Crapbox has shown they have no ability whatsoever to make a good modern game. Stay away from this crap developer and anything that they happen to spawn. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2013
    Broken AI. It doesnt have the good atmosphere or the suspense.... Really what a let down!! and like the other reviewers said the Graphics are outdated, animation and blood/acid effects are very poor, sounds effects are very nice but what we have here strikes me as overall unfinished, unpolished, rushed, underdone.
  12. Mar 13, 2013
    This game is the worst game i haved ever wasted my time on. The AI is horrible, graphics are far below average and the story is boring. Don't waste your money on this game, if you are a die-hard aliens fan and absolutely MUST have everything with the brand name on it then at least wait until you can get it used for 10$ or something like that.
  13. Apr 1, 2013
    Randy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this gameRandy Pitchford LIED the whole 7 years to us and put this game off for his other Crap IP that when he made this contract with sega, didn't exist. He stole money from sega to make Borderlands and then didn't even work on this game! Where is the stand off game modes? All the other game features not in there? Where is the Demo!!! ALL A LIE. Do not buy or play this game. I waited for this game since 2001 and like all things aliens i knew it would suck, and with all the delays from borderlands too Duke we all knew this game would suck. Now this proves Pitchford is a lair. And borderlands is crap. Expand
  14. Apr 3, 2013
    Biggest pile of crap I've seen in a long time, if i could rate it lower than zero I would. Rubbish campaign, laughable AI, the population online is around 200 people worldwide according to some reports I've seen. Don't bother wasting your money on this. screw Gearbox.
  15. Mar 14, 2013
    A game that is not that good in overall. I have played at my friend's PS3 and the graphics were even worse that on PC. My deal is, why on earth is the DEMO look even nicer than the original game? Who would pay 49.99 USD for a game that looks like a 2003 one?
    As for the gameplay, it just sucks due to the amount of details not added in the original game from the demo. Weird storyline in overall. All thanks to their ridiculous management by handing the game to a infamous company.
  16. Apr 7, 2013
    The game itself is not THAT bad, i would give it 4/10 compared to other current AAA game releases.
    However, the amount of lies and misinformation from Gearbox should be punished so that other companies will learn the lesson from this. Hence the 0/10 rating.
  17. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a muchThis game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Expand
  18. Apr 1, 2013
    This game is not all its cracked up to be. pretty let down by this one. average graphics, tedious storyline, substandard weapons, cheesy in game conversations. shame could have been so much better!
  19. Apr 5, 2013
    The worst game i have played in the last 2 years. The story is complete Bulls**t and doesn't fully acknowledge the films. The graphics are terrible, even on the PC. The multiplayer is broken and very frustrating to play.

Game Play 3
    Story 1
    Multiplayer 2
    Graphics -1
  20. May 4, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a great game under any criteria.

The game is set in the same universe and location like the original movies, LV-426, a planet which actually isn't a planet, it's a moon, bigger than average ones. The story is set after the events from the original 1986 movie Aliens. In the game you revisit the iconic locations from the original 2 movies, but in a
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a great game under any criteria.

The story is set after the events from the original 1986 movie Aliens. In the game you revisit the iconic locations from the original 2 movies, but in a different way.

The plot is a very simple one, which relatively lacks of originality. You assume the role of a a Colonial Marine called Christopher Winter, and your mission is to check an SOS left by Dwayne Hicks, one of the main characters in the Aliens movie.

From here it's obvious what's next, you find that the place is infested and you must later fight to survive. Very simplistic.

However, even so, the game's chaotic development leaves his mark. The best citation can be ,,The game sounds like Aliens, looks like Aliens, but unfortunately, it doesn't play like Aliens., IGN. This citation captures exactly how the game is, the level design isn't really horrible, but is not ground-breaking like other games from today's standards.

The graphics are as simple as possible, with simple shadows, banal lightning effects and banal textures.

Beyond the graphic design, the story also draws criticism, it lacks of consistency and it takes only @5-6 or 9(on harder/hardest difficulty) to be completed, so is quite short.

Also the story is very chaotic at some parts, like progressing with no sense during the levels, basically just ,,Shoot the bad guys in this room, then continue playing,, .

And also many people(including I at some points) is like a sort of Call of Duty: Weyland Yutani, and I partially agree here, for me is a sort of a Sci-Fi Counter-Strike. Is centered more on shooting humans than aliens, and more on combat than the story itself.

Again, the story doesn't make much sense at many parts, especially when you find that Bishop and Hicks have survived, but rather than make light, it makes you even more confusing. It's reveal that Hicks was captured and interrogated but nothing more abut how he's been captured. Same with Bishop, where is nothing revealed about how it survived.

In game play and value terms the game is mediocre, is based on one of the best sci-fi horror-thriller movies ever made, but the game is a shame. It captures the alien in banal encounters many times, and the tension suffers.

Is also insufficient in value term, we we're promised a far better game in both story and design in the trailers and E3 demos, but the final product is lower in quality and a lot different, and doesn't stand up at the price as well, seriously, it isn't worth 50$, I'd say 15-20$, but not more.

I also greatly dislike the patches, because they fix things that we're not supposed to be there. Improved the AI to be more aggressive and responsive, added many effects and some graphically redesigned places? Fixed some circumstances in where the aliens could've used erratic animations? This all are bugs and glitches which must have never been in a game, doesn't matter this or other and improvements that must have never be cut. It wasn't able to run on consoles? Then where we've seen the game running in some game plays? This is just a lie, haven't we all seen Crysis? It has ridiculous requirements, but somehow it looks and runs well on consoles, and also has a good replay value and design.

Also the iconic weapons are only used a ridiculous amount of time, only max. 10min. to use the Smart Gun and no more ammo to be found for it? Really?

The characters aren't really well developed as well, you can't describe many marine's personality.

The development was very chaotic, and why put others work on your dream? TimeGate Studios for single player and Nerve Software for multilayer? Why? You said it was your dream and you love the franchise.

The coop as well isn't really awesome included, you can play in the campaign with up to 3 more friends, which I find really cool, despite it doesn't feature additional objectives and locations.

In visuals and performance, the console versions were terribly optimized, by having many visual glitches
    , and unbelievable low resolution textures, cut shaders and several bad effects.

This were the bad parts, but there somehow are some good ones. The weapons sound, look and behave exactly like in the movies, the game has a very well made sewer level where you have no guns and you must escape from the explosive aliens. That's aliens! Very exciting and tensioned.

The first DLC and the multiplayer are well made, despite the multiplayer doesn't feature a lot of maps, but they offer lot of fun and are having a great value.

Excluding the coop flaws, is Drop-In Drop-Out so you don't have to restart a level of some annoying things.

So in the end, A:CM has some good stuff inside, but too many problems, however there are 3 more DLCs so who knows, maybe Gearbox is preparing a surprise for us.
  21. May 9, 2013
    I am sure any positive reviews of this game must be fake, it is terrible. I have played it for 90 minutes and every time I try starting it up I am so disappointed that I almost immediately shut it down...
  22. Oct 12, 2013
    I got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay isI got this from sale as a free gift, and I wondered for a while why, because it's only few months old. It's simple: I got this for free because it's garbage, not worth a recommendation even as a free gift. We've got aliens, marines, pulse rifles and Sulaco. And that's about it because somehow the dev managed to deliver one of the worst shooters of 2013, par to Bioshock Infinite. Gunplay is pathetic, why did they add iron sights to... a pulse rifle and shotguns? What? Why do aliens in this game are slowly moving practice targets and most of the game you will play call of duty in space against random WY mercenaries? Why story progression and delivery is so cheesy and terribly annoying, trying to masturbate in your face with "look at that reference! aren't we awesome and nerdy about Aliens the movie?!". Already dead multiplayer without server browser only matchmaking queue you will never get full. I won't even begin with a ton of scandalic alpha- and betalike bugs. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is a masterpiece compared to Colonial Marines. Expand
  23. Oct 30, 2013
    I got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on theI got this game on launch and their was colossal amounts of glitches. for a game centered around co-op their were so many connection issues that i ended up doing the campaign alone. The graphics looked nice i guess the aliens were detailed but everything else was so awful. They should of researched the films a lot more in order to get the atmosphere right. Don't even get me started on the fact that there were human enemies beside aliens. Massive let down for a game that had so much potential. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    Things I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but itThings I liked a lot...the weapon improvement system, the concept of the game is awesome, BUT it lacks of a 'strong materia' there isnt challenge in the game is weak, is empty...the stuff is cool, I enjoyed pump alliens with the shotgun, but you can ran like a ramboo, and kill lot of the enemies..thats not cool, even I play on veteran..Dont get me wrong, dev guys got the concept, but it lacks on effort and work in its game. Expand
  25. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    I played for five minutes which would normally not count as enough, though this might be the exception. i would have given this a 6-isch if it was 2006 now, but its 2013 and its been in developement since 2006, when i first saw this game i thought finally someone would make a kickass game, but it runs like and my comp is great. i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this, MP might be fun butI played for five minutes which would normally not count as enough, though this might be the exception. i would have given this a 6-isch if it was 2006 now, but its 2013 and its been in developement since 2006, when i first saw this game i thought finally someone would make a kickass game, but it runs like and my comp is great. i wouldnt recommend anyone to buy this, MP might be fun but its so worthlessly done it doesnt deserve your time and money! Expand
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    If you compare the final game to the gameplay they showed at E3 im almost convinced that this is just plain robbery ."Some called Duke Nukem Forever the worst FPS ever. That angered me and I wanted to prove them wrong." Gearbox CEO on why they made Aliens
  28. Feb 15, 2013
    Second review... campaign is complete crap.. multiplayer is fun at first but there isn't enough variety.. found out there were things not in the game that were suppose to be...

As a whole it's still not worth $50, more like $15
  29. Feb 12, 2013
    Horrible game from start to finish. From gfx to animation to sound to AI(artificial idiots) to pacing...everything is below average or broken. Gearbox has balls to ask full retail price and then more for "DLC's". Seriously only buy this game if you're an idiot like me who throws money anything that has Aliens in it....or steam has it for $10 or less sometime in the future. AvP 2010 is wayHorrible game from start to finish. From gfx to animation to sound to AI(artificial idiots) to pacing...everything is below average or broken. Gearbox has balls to ask full retail price and then more for "DLC's". Seriously only buy this game if you're an idiot like me who throws money anything that has Aliens in it....or steam has it for $10 or less sometime in the future. AvP 2010 is way better game than this junk. I will officially ignore all games that has "gearbox" written on it...thanks for screwing up DNF...and now Aliens. Expand
  30. Feb 24, 2013
    This Game is a Disaster and a well made Scam. Nothing in this Game looks like the Gameplaydemo´s. Its horrible, but not in the way we want it. Horrible Grafiks, stupid Story and the AI is dumber as a stone.
    I wonder if this is even legal, what Gearbox done.
    Only the Weaponsounds are good. Anything else is just bad bad bad. Dont buy this piece of Trash. EGM give a 90?..Lmao..
  31. May 3, 2013
    I bought the game before the massive 'upgrade' patch if you want to call it that. The graphics were okay, but the AI was very dumb. Aliens would hit you once then run away around a corner and stare at a wall it was that bad. However.......changing the AI so that every single alien on the screen runs straight at you AND only you regardless of how many other marines are standingI bought the game before the massive 'upgrade' patch if you want to call it that. The graphics were okay, but the AI was very dumb. Aliens would hit you once then run away around a corner and stare at a wall it was that bad. However.......changing the AI so that every single alien on the screen runs straight at you AND only you regardless of how many other marines are standing around is even dumber. Plus those said marines still have dumb AI that don't actually help you at all. Then you get up to the first human rivals and they have an uncanny ability to throw grenades directly at you and frequently, all the while ignoring the rest of your marine teams which still stand around scratching their balls. The game is a poor failure. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)