3.4

1. Mar 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is unbelievable that people are rating this game a 9 or 10 it blows my mind don't listen to them im sure the majority of them pre-ordered, unfortunate they are making it worse for us all letting the industry get away with this crap, so shame on them. This is just not a very good game.

The story is just bad and i refuse to acknowledge it as cannon. For one it fails to explain major plot holes, and don't even get me started on the ending. A marine from the first movie survives??? what were these guys smoking when they came up with that. Any true alien fan would be disappointing with this game and I believe we expect a certain amount of quality to be involved when it comes to this beloved franchise. Yes expectations where high and rightfully so. The sound is great, love the sound effects like the pulse rifle and others such as aliens dying. The AI is bad and ruined the immersion for me on more than one occasion. For instance aliens standing in front of my AI squad mate for seconds attempting to kill him or navigating around him to get to me or like on most occasions my squad mate just firing his smart gun for long periods of time doing absolutely nothing. The graphics are bad which is something that caught me off guard. textures are terrible and character animation is amateur. the lighting ,one of the most important features in anything alien is mediocre which is extremely disappointing. i could go on but you get the idea just not much of a game here multilayer is better but doesn't make up for the terrible campaign.
  2. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm only going to talk about the singleplayer/co-op campaign.

What it does right: The game level design, sound and music are all true to the license. It has some really nice references to the movie hidden throughout. The graphics are not ground breaking but are good enough. In other words, they set the scene for an awesome aliens game really well.

What it does wrong: It completely
    removes the atmosphere the aliens franchise is known for. There are no moments when your fighting for you life. There are no jump scares. And the aliens do not behave like a dangerous opponent, in fact they spend most of their time walking at a reasonably slow pace with very little climbing on walls and roofs, and are just simple head straight towards target AIs like Serious Sam and just walk mindlessly towards you. Unlike Serious Sam you don't fight hordes of enemies or need keyboard agility to avoid them. In fact you can kinda half be asleep while in heavy combat in this game. The other thing which brings the game down is the fact you can carry all weapons and ammo at once, this basically turns you into a tank with unlimited ammo and in the aliens franchise ammo conservation is an important part of the fear factor.
    Summary: If you looking for an alien fix and don't mind the other species your best bet is still Aliens Vs Predator (The original one not the new one) and its sequel and play through the marine campaign.
  3. Apr 30, 2013
    This game is absolutely terrible. It's a generic stereotype space marines action shooter. The single player is mindless and boring, the AI is terrible, the sound effects are also terrible. The game is not scary and the voice actors just sound depressed. The online mode is not fun, you'll get bored in minutes because there is no depth to the gameplay.
    One of the redeeming factors of the
    game however is that it has decent music, but that's it. If you're having trouble sleeping, I definitely recommend this game because there is no way you'll still be awake after 30 minutes. Gearbox over-hyped this game and just ended up deceiving Aliens fans. I highly recommend you look at game footage before you commit to buy this game. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2013
    I am very disappointed. The demo looked so good with all the effects and graphics and the final game looks like a bad joke. The KI is horrible, the game is very linear and the Aliens are not scary they are just canon fodder. The game has 11 level. From this 11 level there are 3 or 4 level which repeat, so you play them and later you have to play them again, just in another mission. Last there is the horrible end. This game is a huge disappointment and you shouldn't even think to buy it. Expand
  5. Feb 23, 2013
    I am a huge aliens fan, especially with the demo being shown which looked amazing, that alone made me want to get this but sadly you don't get anything that the demo shown sadly. The quality of the textures especially in some places like the truck in the 3rd level was dumbass designing 101. For gearbox to present themselves with this product is so bad and with the devs blaming each other doesn't help the franchise and IP. The AI is terrible and sadly the only time personally, I find a good AI is in ultimate badass which is the highest level. If you do play at a lower difficulty, prepare for bad AI and the characters stories and how they act are the worse and don't even expect good facial or quality character models.

Although this is negatives, there are some positives Drop in, Drop out works, Some of the levels were enjoyable especially the 5th one in but the main positive is the Modding community actually modding so fast to allow it to look better than what it is. Sadly the devs have been so unresponsive, the modders came in and actually made it look better which is a positive which is why i feel bad for console who can't get these mods....

The story which i won't go into strongly is badly written, badly executed and not good especially within many of the levels.... however there are the occasional good point throughout but its not at all AAA.

However it isn't the best, it is enjoyable to a point and playing a lot of games its not the worst... sadly that still goes to Orion: Dino Crisis and WarZ but sadly this game doesn't show the IP and Gearbox in a good way at all... and i feel bad for sega for allowing gearbox to design this Crap.

Shame on you gearbox!
    Shame on you Randy Pitchford!
  6. Feb 13, 2013
    I do not know about you, but I liked the game, no need to evaluate the game on the schedule, or when she had to get out there, the plot is different, but of course a sort of a multiplayer, but it's not a problem, the cooperative is great, enjoyed it. Thank you very much for developers
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    I have been waiting for this game to come out for a long time and I have to say I am not disappointing one bit. I just wish there were armor upgrades instead of just weapon ones.
  8. Feb 13, 2013
    Wow. I tried to like it I really did. While there are a few scenes that on the PC look 'OK', it's just too hard to ignore the fact you can just run through much of the game, that the demo videos using '100% IN-GAME FOOTAGE' isn't anything like the finished product, and there are just way too many bugs. The one that sticks out the most for me is when I pick up the flame thrower, try to use it, and it disappears. I turn around and it's now laying on the floor, and when I go to pick it back up (I have no idea how I 'dropped' it in the first place), it disappears before I get to it. It wasn't in my inventory and I couldn't bring myself to play back through the stage. Absolutely horrible execution, marketing and game in general. Thanks GBX! Expand
  9. Feb 13, 2013
    In my honest opinion:
    I so far have only played the single player campaign, and I liked it. I enjoyed the game play, and I found myself immersed in nostalgia. Even though the AI was horribly clunky, Marine NPCs were getting caught on the smallest of objects, they would occasionally disappear and reappear and at times they felt like a waste of space who couldn't aim to save their lives,
    this is because they're an NPC, in a shooter. They're not there to do the work for you, they're there to provide minimum backup while you show the world what and ultimate badass really is. Even the Alien AI wasn't all that hot, however basic warriors still didn't make a sound. They still used ambush tactics, would come through vents, grates on the ground, etc. They did as they were supposed to. Even though certain mechanics such as; taking cover, moving over cover, squad commands, and a few other small things could have been added, as a whole. The game was not too bad. The storyline was short, however you have to remember that this is a FPS that doesn't have a direct roleplaying interaction. Linear FPS games are meant to be short. You're not supposed to spend days upon days working your way through the story as if you were playing an RPG like Skyrim. Short, precise plot points telling you were to go, what to do. After all you're a God damn Marine. If you found the game play of the main story wasn't scary enough, turn down the brightness and increase the difficulty. Play in the dark. Use headphones instead of speakers. Don't sit in a room with the light on, don't have your brightness up so that you have perfect night vision, make it so that all you can hear are your own footsteps down a hallway with the small 'blip' sounds from your motion tracker.

But you know... Let's just verbally destroy a game a couple of days after its release. You know, on-release bugs make a game and all.
  10. Feb 15, 2013
    Heres the deal kiddies, im 25 years old. ive been playing pc games fps since doom, quake, descent, wolfenstein etc etc came out. i can assure you do not waste your time and money on this game, lucky for me i picked it up for $50 instead of steam high price of $80. The game AI is terrible, they run around with bad ai decision sometimes even running past your team mates in single player games just to shoot you. the gun sound effects are awful and movement in general feels so unatural and stiff. if you like the feeling of cod s movements, aliens is completely opposite you feel like a robot. MULTIPLAYER IS you cant choose your sides, the matches are about 2 minutes each so once you get the hang of things your automatically playing an alien role and have no clue what your doing... multiplayer can only hold 10 so 5 vs 5 and because the matches are literally like 2 min each round you cant make technical or team work decision its really just a run and shoot whatever moves in your sight. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND BUY A TRUSTED GAME LIKE BLACKOPS NOT THIS GAME TRUST ME. Expand
  11. Feb 16, 2013
    This is one of the worst first person shooters I have ever played its not the worst Gearbox's duke nuken forever takes that title but only just. Both titles are utter crap and gearbox should give up now. I will nerv buy another gearbox title again.
  12. Feb 13, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical when i saw all harsh reviews, but then i played a the game, its true that the graphics are dated, but that's not the straw that broke the camel's back (straws in this case), it doesn't feel like an aliens game, or a horror movie for that matter, the Xenos come at you in plain sight, and you have more than enough ammo to gun them down, the game suffers from broken AI, quirky animations, forgettable characters, You'll find yourself stepping right through some debris, and chunks of alien organic materials found on the ground while walking around like its not there, i haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so i have no opinion on that. if you're a fan of movies, you might tolerate some of the inconveniences that i've mentioned, or you'll just rate it harshly out of bitter disappointment like all the 1's and 2's found on here, as a for me i feel like i flushed my money down the toilet. Expand
  13. Feb 16, 2013
    Just a terrible game, story is a joke, AI is a joke, graphics is a joke, over all gameplay is just terrible. Its sad that Gearbox screwed over game about Aliens, could have been great game if they cared, but unfortunately it looked like they just didn't care at all and put this garbage together few months before the deadline.
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    It's sad when a beloved franchises gets the "EA" treatment. I might be embellishing a bit, but it's understandable since i used to be a fan. The game is, for lack of a better word, "MEH". I didn't get to play much since i did so at a friend's house, but what i did get to play kind of left me wanting. What the hell was i playing? It certainly didn't feel like an "Aliens" game. Somewhat Clunky and Heavily scripted, the purpose of which, i'm guessing, is inspiring suspense, but it doesn't really matter because it fails to do so in any other way except for those moments of eerie silence when you're walking alone And those are nothing new. Outside of excluding the Predators as a playable race, and adding some menial reward mechanisms you see in EVERY OTHER FPS out there, i don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than a dumbed-down AVP3 clone. The optimization itself seems to be horrendous, as the already non-stellar gameplay suffered almost omnipresent lag spikes. IN SINGLE PLAYER. How the hell does that happen? This might be a huge issue with paying customers, since some of them coughed up quite a sum by pre-ordering. One other thing that seems to follow every game of late like the plague, is the over-dramatization of already "dramatic" events. I don't understand what the issue is there, and why does it happen so often, but it sucks to see marines acting as if this is some Aliens soap opera. How, in their right mind, would anyone take this game seriously after that fact is beyond me. I should have known, after seeing Randy Pitchford's smug little face on the trailers, that this game is going to bomb. The AI is pathetic. I've seen better enemy reactions in Wolfenstein. I give it a 5 out of sheer devotion to the franchise, nothing else. If this was any other generic fps, it wouldn't even sell at the bargain bin. My advice is, play something else. Until it gets a couple of well-deserved patches, you should forget that this "thing" even exists. Expand
  15. Feb 16, 2013
    This is the most disappointing game I've played in a very long time. From big to small it fails on almost every level. The immersion promised in the pre-release video was stripped leaving behind the husk of a generic shooter. The dialog is awful with its forced, rehashed lines from Aliens. The corny try-hard attempt to recreate the attitude of the characters from the movie. A boring (DLC READY! :D) story with a... well... I would've called it a cliffhanger ending but truth be told I simply don't care. The game play offers virtually nothing to offset any of the above. It's functional, usually, but that's where the praise ends. The alien AI feels like it was written by some poor intern that doesn't even like FPS games. It's pretty standard copy/paste game play beyond that. With the gratuitous weapon unlocks and totally linear map design.

The worst offenders by far are the lifeless boring levels. The fact they took the source material of aliens and turned it into this is upsetting, if not flat out depressing. The animations are laughable (power loader anyone?) and the textures would make Ray Charles weep. The lighting? Mods to "help fix" the lightning were out in less than 24 hours. At least Duke Nukem Forever won't be lonely at the bottom of the barrel.
  16. Oct 11, 2013
    The low ratings on this game are unbelievable. I've been playing the game in campaign coop mode with a friend and it has been a great experience. The gameplay dynamics are solid, with good controls. The graphics are decent with great lighting effects. Progressive weapon upgrades add to the experience. The story augments the play. I can only think that the game was released with too many bugs or something for people to rate it so low. We've not experienced any issues, so can only assume any problems have subsequently been repaired. Playing on Steam, drop-in/out connectivity is superb and well integrated. Good solid aliens fun. If you're a fan of the genre, I don't know how you couldn't find at least the current $20 asking price worth of fun and entertainment. Expand
  17. Feb 18, 2013
    An average FPS, all the fun is due to the fact that you can enjoy the nice working radar and the good old pulse rifle.
    If you close your eyes you will feel like you're really into one of the Alien movies, but when reopening them you will be really disappointed by the stupid A.I., the poor storytelling and the bad presentation.
    Gameplay would be fun if not affected by all those bugs, the
    enemies act like they're animals, the strategy that you expect from the creatures just does not exist in this game, the human enemies will randomly leave covering position and your fellow soldiers are more a pain in the ass than an aid (the worst thing is that most of the issues could be corrected by a proper debug phase).
    Graphics are 6.5/10, but the use of lights and shadows is light years far from the 1977 masterpiece and some of textures are so much low res for a 2013 game.
    Sound is good in complex, but some audio effects are missing and the music is simply trivial.
    The weapons upgrade system is nice and the unlockable add-ons are well distributed.
    In conclusion, if you are an Alien fan that can close one eye (or two), you will enjoy shooting some xenomorphs.
    Otherwise just run away without looking back.
  18. Feb 17, 2013
    "No. No. No. No. Gearbox, what are you doing?" Sums this game up nicely.
    Aliens: Colonial Marines (read Aliens: Colonial Morons) is the perfect example of why I don't /ever/ pre-order games. The Good:
    + I've been told... Badgered by others insisting that the multilayer is passable, It's playable and competitive. So despite my personal feelings that the Multilayer portion of a game that
    has a singleplayer campaign should ever be a centre-point of a review, I'll let this one slide.
    The Bad:
    - Dreadful attempt at atmosphere. I can tell this game tries so hard to be something it isn't... As an Aliens game, expectation dictates that the atmosphere has to be on par with an expertly directed horror film. With an enemy that surpasses our little human character in almost every attribute- I want to feel hunted and isolated in an almost hopeless situation, fighting for my very survival. Any attempt at the before-mentioned feeling is destroyed the moment one of your companions opens their mouth... and then further trashed when you move through the campaign mowing down hundreds of the Aliens as if they were made from toilet tissue. The AI, frankly, sucks. My Graduate games programming project had better Artificial intelligence than this. You constantly see the human characters getting stuck, taking insane path finding routes. This may just be me however as I have developed an eye for such things.
    - The visuals I am not one to criticise a game based on it's graphical quality. However, I expect a AAA, multi-million Dollar budgeted game to provide a certain degree of graphical quality especially if the marketing material boasts scenes that show off lighting and rendering techniques used by the latest DX11 technologies. But this is a small point... ugly textures and ugly lighting doesn't kill a game but it does not help it ether.
    - The Feel of the gameplay is off. I can't accurately articulate it because it's not really something tangible, but when I play a shooter, I expect the game to provide feedback in a certain way, Aliens: CM, does not provide this feeling.
    To summarize I am disappointed that 7 years of development couldn't produce something better. But, I have a feeling that this suffered from the same problems as Duke Nukem: Forever in that it has been outsourced to so many companies and been messed about with so much over the past 7 years The end result maintains no real identity It's a game that consists of poorly mashed together bits from all kinds of different places and it is a real shame... A perfect example of brilliant marketing on Sega's part to sell a bad game so well though.
  19. Feb 19, 2013
    It is official, Gearbox has taken up 3drealms's bad habits. over-hyping, overselling, and didn't deliver at the end. hell, the demo that they showed was a complete fabrication which i think it should be illegal. If ACM only took 2 years to make it will be understandable for all the poor graphics, coding, crappy game play ect. but this "game" took 6 years to make?...like i said 3Drealms bad habits. only recommended for hard hard fans of aliens, or just wait for the $5 special the steam, ether way. I, personally will never buy a Gearbox game as long as i live. *taking my money else were* Expand
  20. Feb 24, 2013
    Game over, man! The Aliens franchise is as dead in gaming as it is on the big screen. Secure that sh-t, Hudson, and let's go play another game. Even the lackluster Aliens Vs. Predator circa 2010 makes Colonial Marines look like horse meat in place of beef. In fact, if you are dying to play an Aliens game, play that one instead you can probably get it relatively cheap.
  21. Feb 12, 2013
    My collectors edition arrived today when i opened box i was happy. Collectors edition looks very nice but when i installed the game... I started playng with friend and from the begining i had problem is black screen (bug) i sorted out using forum. When we was playng for few hours i decided this game looks boring for me all the time waves of aliens incoming you just shoots them, balistic looks like in COD very close to it and i didnt like it. I used max setting on video but graphic looks like 4 years old comepletly horrible comparing to new games. I didnt try multiplayer atm but what i can say i expected much more from gearbox. Borderlands series is awsome but making aliens and stoping project then continue again.... in my opinion this project isnt finished yet. They also should add more staff or items better costumization. This game will become borring very soon!!! Expand
  22. Feb 14, 2013
    Campaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and the fact that the alien moves like your put a stick up his and now pulling some strings absolutly ruins it. Feeling: (Marine) It's ok. I'm missing some kind of distant radio. I had a guy with his micro not muted and i could hear the dampened gunfire while catching up with the group. It was actually pretty cool. Otherwise the game lacks a proper envoirement sound set. If you spawn after death somewhere you can't hear nothing. It's so peaceful, you may settle down and have a picnic with a nearby spitter. Also the guns feel somehow cheap, like made out of lego bricks. To be honest all the models feel like i bought a 14,99 Indie game. Maps: The maps i played so far are uther rubbish. Sorry envoirement artist and level designers, but did you play your maps once? There's no tatic. It's just "find the best spot to sit on" and stay there and shooting the aliens coming from two directions. Forget vents, they're placed almost randomly without strategic purpose. Season Pass: You expect me to pay 30 bucks for you to maybe fix this, really? There are some things cool about this game but it doesnt compensate the games overall cheap feeling and bad, bad, bad, BAD map design. Just my personal opinion on this.... Expand
  23. Feb 14, 2013
    TL;DR: It was for a variety of reasons and although it had some redeeming features they were not enough to make me not want a refund.

The start of the solo campaign honestly filled me with hope and a little apprehension. It leapt in a little fast for aliens and some of the mood might have been lost but the first 10-20minutes of the game was great.

The problem was, the more I played
    it the less I liked it. The more I progressed the less scary the 'perfect killing machines' became and more irritating as they jumped down onto their prescripted ledges and stood there to be mowed down. Occasionally some would survive and start running at you, slower than a marine I noted. When I got sick of murdering mindless rabbits I let my NPCs invulnerable, almost untargetable and with infinite ammo (not that ammo was ever once an issue during the campaign) mow them down as I ran in circles. Gone are the dismembering of body parts that only slightly slow them down (avp1) and gone is the atmosphere, threat and any real challenge. Where in previous incarnations aliens were something to be feared, in this they are simply fodder to be tediously dealt with as you muddy your way through an increasingly weak story.

This game had an engine that rivaled half-life in clunk and AI approaching, but not outdoing, castle wolfenstien. To date multiplayer has been a graveyard of failure and disheartened souls. The weapon mods were basically pointless, especially when combined with the built in, unremoveable autoaim which over writes the shoulder weapon function. So those braindead mooks starting at you from behind a box are literally invulnerable as you empty clip after clip into the box despite your best efforts to overcome the games desire to aim for you. In the end I found they dropped enough ammo that, with a little weapon cycling you could simply kill them all with grenades.

There are a few redeeming features, the actual maps are, for the most part, beautiful points of nostalgia as long as one can ignore the poorly rendered dodads that have been haphazardly scattered through them and the weapons look and feel (until you actually try using them on real targets) like they should.

The leveling/unlock system feels utterly redundant it is possible to gain several levels in a single mission without trying and there are missions it is possible to farm for the truly die hard. If the game was designed to feel like a high texture version of a mid 90s FPS it has succeeded, if they expect that to make it a great success they have serious issues fast approaching. As a release under the 'aliens' franchise it feels like a cheap knock off designed purely to make money off the past before anyone notices what they have done to it. I cannot honestly believe that any dev looked at the finished product and felt happy with it. Where the blame lies is ultimately irrelevant however, the key point being it was a waste of money and if steam offered a refund I would have turned this in with a package fresh from my cats anus to return to them what they had given to me.
  24. Feb 14, 2013
    If you look at this game entirely by itself it is quite solid. I don't get all the yelling. It is neither "crap" nor garbage but rather solid. The graphics are not top notch but good enough (especially if you don't have a state-of-the-art PC but instead a machine from 2-3 years ago). Running Around with a buddy in coop and shooting Xenos is quite fun and the sounds are accurate to the movie. The music fits the atmosphere well. The Levels closely resemble the look and feel of "Aliens". If you expect a slow "horror-survival" type of game you will probably be disappointed but if you want a solid shooter with a working coop mode in the very cool Aliens setting then I say it is probably worth the about 30 euros I paid for it. The game everyone somehow expected or wanted it to be would be a straight 9-10... what we got is a 7-8ish. Expand
  25. Feb 16, 2013
    I cant believe that mistake. The Ai is bad. the graphic is a disaster. and i pay for this 49 I have waiting for this game. Gearbox have make better games before.
  26. Feb 16, 2013
    There is a lot of controversy surrounding this game most notably the blatant false advertising but let me just focus on the game itself here. Visuals and auditory: The game drags you through poorly modeled drab futuristic enviroments where the 3d assets are re-used far too often. Walking through corridors, corridors and more corridors you'll encounter roughly four types of enemies whose animations were apparently motion captured by a frozen corpse tied up with rubber strings. The textures that cover everything look like something I imagine artists send to each other as a practical joke. Lighting and shadows, probably the most important part of an ALIENS game is sloppily put together. Gearbox tried to sprinkle recognizable objects from the movies into the game in order to distract you from how god awful the game looks but that is a bit like drawing a smiley face on a fist that punched you in the face, it is still going to hurt.

Meanwhile in the audio department we have mediocre voice acting, it is not going to draw you into the game any more than the graphics but perhaps that is a good thing. The iconic tension building motion tracker is in the game but only as a curiosity for movie fans since it servers no purpose whatsoever gameplay wise. Music is the only thing I consider somewhat decent even though there are very few compositions and they are re-used too often. Again, sound design is one of your greatest tools when you are designing a game based on Aliens but the creators miss the mark completely.

Gameplay: When you think of the movie aliens do you conjure up images of pants fudging terror and struggling to survive or do you think of a handful of marines shooting for hours on end at corporate goons? The designers of this game seem to have thought of the latter since all you do is run through narrow corridors spraying everything you see with your pick of fast shooting pulse rifle, normal shooting pulse rifle or slow shooting pulse rifle. At the opportunities where the developers could have differentiated themselves from the rest of the flock in the putrid sea of brainless military shooters, stuff like planting turret defences or welding bulkheads shut they just put a scripted event where the maximum amount of player interaction is Hold E button. It feels as if the developers worked hard to puncture any feel of suspense the game might build up by accident so they added immortal AI teammates and flashing RANK UP exclamations (because nowadays the only way you'll get a sense of accomplishment is through gaining points in an arbitrary rank ladder). Longevity: The campaign will at the very highest of difficulty go on for about 5-6 hours and considering how easy the game is I doubt it is even possible to die at normal setting. Anyway you'll unlock all the additional attachments and pointless twaddle about halfway through the story so there is no incentive to replay it. The multiplayer is another peer2peer that I can't imagine anyone will still be playing two months from now. Conclusion: When you make a game based on a specific franchise your customers expect you to at the very least capture a sliver of the mood presented in the source material. Gearbox Interactive is either made up by a bunch of meatheads that don't understand the movies or they just farted out a failed abortion of a game to make a few quick bucks, avoid a lawsuit from Sega and urinate on alien fans. They failed miserably on every single level when making Aliens colonial marines and it is honestly one of the worst games I've ever played in my life.
  27. Feb 16, 2013
    Poor, dated visuals for this game isn't even half the problem, It has choppy game play that feels broken for the most part, unimaginable story and bad scripting. Don`t waste your money! Gearbox shouldn't be allowed to get away with this, People should check the comparison video on how it was and how it is now.
  28. Feb 16, 2013
    Coming from an Alien/Predator fan, this game is a complete disappointment. I waited 5 years for a game that makes DNF look like a masterpiece. I had to REALLY force myself to finish the campaign. What makes this game so bad, you ask?

1- The AI. That damn AI...the worst I have EVER seen. Enemies can't do anything but run straight at you, your comrades will shoot walls in an (obviously
    futile) attempt to hit an enemy: they can't "see" the obstacle! Of course they will shoot through you as well. Sometimes enemies stand still in the middle of a room. Even at the highest difficulty the bad guys are just too stupid and that results in the game being extremely easy.
    2- The plot makes no sense, the character's reactions are completely off and you're left wondering whether the authors behind this were 5 years old fans. It's that stupid. Oh, the ending makes you want to punch in the face whoever wrote this garbage.
    3- No atmosphere. I remember the old AVP1/AVP2. Those games were terrifying when playing the Marine campaign. In Colonial Marines you feel nothing...well sometimes you get angry over how stupid everything is. It's that boring.

These are just the three main issues with the game, but there's a lot more, for example the bad animations and the mediocre (at best) graphics but that's not really something I look at when judging a videogame. There are a few good things, though, like the guns (they sound really nice), one of the levels (although it doesn't last long) and the MP, which isn't horrible.

Overall, this game is extremely bad, and may very well be the worst game I have ever played. If you're thinking "I'll try it anyway because I'm a fan of the Alien Saga" then listen to me and DON'T do it. You'll be even more disappointed.
  29. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Este juego te lo venden como si fuera una obra de arte, y cuando lo vas a jugar parece un juego en estado Alpha, no llega a ser ni una beta... Pesima calidad en todos sus sentidos. 1/10 Expand
  30. Feb 20, 2013
    This has to be one of the worst games ever released for PC. The most honest and true review I found for this game can be found here at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/ Please do not waste your money, time or effort with this game. The AI is so terrible that the enemies/aliens will run away from you or will stand still and let you shoot them. You take more damage from enemy humans with guns than you do aliens. The level design is horrible, all you are allowed to do is open doors and hit checkpoints. You can literally play this game on the hardest settings and run from checkpoint to checkpoint barely killing anything. This does not feel anything like ALIENS.

The graphics are circa 2005 and use Direct X 9, that's right... the game is very bright, and does not convey any sense of visual moodiness to it, at no point is there anything to shock or awe over as far as eye candy goes.

Factor in that there are terrible bugs found throughout the game, no dedicated servers for a bare bones multiplayer mode and you can easily tell hands down that this is probably going to win WORST GAME OF THE YEAR 2013. But hey dont take my word for it, Youtube a few videos for yourself and see the vast majority of other critics reviews. A lot of good people got fleeced when they bought this game, dont be one of them.
  31. Feb 16, 2013
    PC Version. Graphics looks much much better than console version. Sometimes there are very nice lighting and shadows. Story is good, First time since 1986 we can play proper story in this franchise, Most of all I like multiplayer It is much better than AVP2010, it has nice dynamic and tension, many upgrades and other combination stuff, you can build your own soldier and xenomorph, and it is much better than Natural Selection 2 also, not boring( to me NS2 became boring very soon), it has nice graphics, many ways to play it, in the begining you must uprade your xenos to make them stronger, because they are rather weak on first level. Well if you are fan of Aliens and also wanna play better multiplayer than AVP2010 and Natural Selection 2. This is the game for you. Collapse

1. Jun 10, 2013