3.5

1. Feb 13, 2013
    When I first tried this game, I was appalled by how bad it was. All the hype and promises lead up to this pile of useless garbage? How can this even happen with a 50$ game, it's mind-boggling. It is so bad, unpolished, buggy, cliche... just thinking about it makes me nervous. The graphics are very dated, it's like the developers didn't even care. The textures look like they've been takenWhen I first tried this game, I was appalled by how bad it was. All the hype and promises lead up to this pile of useless garbage? How can this even happen with a 50$ game, it's mind-boggling. It is so bad, unpolished, buggy, cliche... just thinking about it makes me nervous. The graphics are very dated, it's like the developers didn't even care. The textures look like they've been taken from a 2007 game on medium settings. Animations made me want to gouge my eyes out, the way a limping man just glides over the terrain? Aliens who just die into a stiff ragdoll? The way their wounds are just yellow blood textures on the models? Concerning the gameplay, it is nothing but another lame, generic FPS that is exciting for about the first two encounters. It is the same old s**t, clear a room, move on. Hold the button to weld a door. Rapidly press the button to punch an alien and stun it(ridiculous). Multiplayer? Oh look, suicide bomber aliens. How original. The story, you won't even care for. All the shock value of aliens, chestbursters etc. is gone for any fan of the franchise. It is slightly unsettling for the first 5 minutes before your first alien encounter, when you go back to seeing them as cannon fodder that walks up to you and slashes the air, cause that's how they attack, if they don't pounce on you and initiate the same quicktime event for the millionth time. I had that exact quicktime event 3 times during my first encounter with an alien. AvP 3 Marine campaign has better atmosphere than this worthless trash, which says enough. With all things taken into account, this insult to the franchise deserves nothing but a 0. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    I paid 25 quid for this game, and I can't play it. I looked all over the web and could not find a fix for the problem I'm having, the game literally cannot be played on my advanced gaming computer. I can't get a refund either. Well done gearbox, well done!
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Campaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and theCampaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and the fact that the alien moves like your put a stick up his and now pulling some strings absolutly ruins it. Feeling: (Marine) It's ok. I'm missing some kind of distant radio. I had a guy with his micro not muted and i could hear the dampened gunfire while catching up with the group. It was actually pretty cool. Otherwise the game lacks a proper envoirement sound set. If you spawn after death somewhere you can't hear nothing. It's so peaceful, you may settle down and have a picnic with a nearby spitter. Also the guns feel somehow cheap, like made out of lego bricks. To be honest all the models feel like i bought a 14,99 Indie game. Maps: The maps i played so far are uther rubbish. Sorry envoirement artist and level designers, but did you play your maps once? There's no tatic. It's just "find the best spot to sit on" and stay there and shooting the aliens coming from two directions. Forget vents, they're placed almost randomly without strategic purpose. Season Pass: You expect me to pay 30 bucks for you to maybe fix this, really? There are some things cool about this game but it doesnt compensate the games overall cheap feeling and bad, bad, bad, BAD map design. Just my personal opinion on this.... Expand
  4. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't waste time retreading the same ground everyone else and point out one simple fact, it's made by Gearbox.

Gearbox is and always has been a mediocre game developer. Their big claim to fame is borderlands which is essentially if you put world of warcrafts boring quest system into a wasteland, put it in first person mode, then tout how it has millions of guns but the fact is 1 out of 10,000 are actually an upgrade (repainting the same crummy pistol 5,000 times doesn't make 5,000 different guns) and finally start pimping DLC for the game before it even releases and then keep releasing more to nickel and dime your customers to death by turning a 60 dollar turd into a 100 dollar turd. They also made duke nukem forever which as we all know is a giant steaming pile of you know what and is a god awful abortion from start to finish. The best games they actually made were the brothers in arms games which aren't as terrible as those other two games but its still incredibly sterile, generic and uninspired. BIA is your basic mediocre WW2 shooter and nothing else. They have a few other games under their belt but they are all titles no one really cares about and faded into obscurity as soon as they were released. Bottom line is Gearbox is a terrible game maker and this is a terrible game.

Now for a quickie about colonial marines.

The story is nothing short of fan fiction written by someone who cannot write but still posts to their blog and believes themselves to be a great writer. It's kind of like how a young girl will take pictures of furniture sitting in a shadow in black and white and then think they are really deep and brooding for taking such artistic photographs when in fact it's just garbage. They tried to wink at the fans so hard their eyes have fallen out because of it. Everything about it feels very amateur, boring and forced. It feels more like they did a sci-fi channel original aliens movie, or something that went direct to video.

The game is buggy as you can get. I've flown out the side of things and floated high in the air stuck. I've had allies that would stick in walls. Hell I found out in section you were supposed to be stealthy starting out and I just ran past every alien and once I passed them they forgot about me and I finished a level without firing a shot. I see environmental objects get stuck in things and so on.

All the pretty and cool looking screenshots and videos I've been seeing for over a year from now weren't from the same game they released. You can easily find comparison videos showing the game released looks just awful compared to the "in game footage" they showed in the past.

Multiplayer is very sterile and pretty much what you'd expect. It's so boring in fact that multiplayer will be a ghost town in 2 months.

The game play its pretty much call of duty. It's just a mix of "it's the last stand....again" and "quick run through fast as you can" with some boring corridor stalking in between.

I could go into great depth, I could go on and on naming other things I didn't like but you can read other Amazon reviews and see exactly what I've got to say.

So really if you must play this, wait till its 10 dollars. Trust me it won't take very long before it gets there. And next time, don't pay full price for a Gearbox title.
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    Well they ruined another aliens games. After AVP2010 I thought I had surely seen the worst. NOPE. They somehow managed to spend 6 years making a terrible game on par with bargain bin trash from 6 years ago. With an IP this great I don't understand how it's so consistently hard for these morons to make a decent or great game. Hell, they could update AVP1999 with a modern engine and it'd beWell they ruined another aliens games. After AVP2010 I thought I had surely seen the worst. NOPE. They somehow managed to spend 6 years making a terrible game on par with bargain bin trash from 6 years ago. With an IP this great I don't understand how it's so consistently hard for these morons to make a decent or great game. Hell, they could update AVP1999 with a modern engine and it'd be 100 times better than A:CM or AVP2010. Somehow they've regressed in 14 years. The AVP1999 had environmentally deformed explosions. What does this have? Hit markers, non-location based damage, and clunky, BORING gameplay. Good job gearbox, you've managed to make a surprisingly bad game.

As far as all those people rating it 10, or higher than 3 or 4 at the most, they're just self-deluding individuals suffering from a bad case of buyer's remorse. Denial is part of their coping mechanism. Over time they too will progress to anger at how crappy this game turned out.
  6. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is actually worse than Duke Nukem Forever, which has set a new standard for LOW.
    Where to begin?
    Where to begin?
    There is no atmosphere. If you enter a room with an AI team-mate, that team-mate sticks close to you until one or more aliens appear (scripted). Once there are no more aliens that need to be confronted, the AI runs all the way to a waypoint (near a door or something), thus, the thrill of not knowing if an alien will attack is gone.
    Shooting through your team-mates as if they weren't there.
    The aliens pretty much ignoring any of your team-mates, to the point of going past them, or THROUGH them, in order to get to you.
    Aliens literally going through platforms, as if they weren't there.
    No interaction, for example early in the game, in the passageway between two ships or whatever, the passageway breaks and you have to climb your way up to one of your team-mates who extends his arm for you to grab and pull up. All fine and dandy, except that this whole scene is a movie. I would have liked to press forward or SOMETHING, to interact, to feel like I'm struggling, like I'm pulling myself up, like I'm saving my ass, not sit in my chair like a cow and watch a stupid movie. (Yeah, cows don't sit in chairs, but with this game so forked-up, I can't even begin to describe the frustration it sets out).
    The in-game cinematics are a joke, such visual low quality. The voice acting could also do better, but I'm willing to say they're relatively ok.
    The animations have clearly not been finished. All the humans move like robots. There is no feeling in this game anywhere, starting from the aliens and finishing with your team-mates.
    There is also a sequence where you have to hand over to one of your team-mates a clipboard or something. If you don't stay in front of him and watch him from an angle, you will see that he extends his arm into mid air, a clipboard will magically appear in his arm and he will put it in his pocket. WTF?!??! Seriously!?!?
    This game is in pre-alpha stage, just a concept demo. NOTHING is finished, everything is bugged, it lacks any feeling of anything, except frustration that it could have been a LOT better, in every perspective.
    I'm sure I've missed a LOT of other shi(tt)y things, but I'm already tired and this game doesn't deserve the pushing of the keyboard buttons, even to say how ridiculously lousy it is.
    Avoid at any cost. If you've already paid for it, see if you can get your money back.
    Now I'm seriously considering ever buying a game from this publisher ever again.
    Apart from making money because it has the "Alien" word in it, and for the pre-orders, this game is the worst, nobody in its right mind would buy it after seeing the reviews.
    Even if the publishers hurried publishing it because of the deadline (though the smarter thing they should have done was to postpone it), thinking they would come out with patches, fixing what is wrong or missing from the game, the game is so far off from being finished, I would think they need another 5 more years just to polish it here and there. Forshame publishers, forshame!
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    Wow. I tried to like it I really did. While there are a few scenes that on the PC look 'OK', it's just too hard to ignore the fact you can just run through much of the game, that the demo videos using '100% IN-GAME FOOTAGE' isn't anything like the finished product, and there are just way too many bugs. The one that sticks out the most for me is when I pick up the flame thrower, try toWow. I tried to like it I really did. While there are a few scenes that on the PC look 'OK', it's just too hard to ignore the fact you can just run through much of the game, that the demo videos using '100% IN-GAME FOOTAGE' isn't anything like the finished product, and there are just way too many bugs. The one that sticks out the most for me is when I pick up the flame thrower, try to use it, and it disappears. I turn around and it's now laying on the floor, and when I go to pick it back up (I have no idea how I 'dropped' it in the first place), it disappears before I get to it. It wasn't in my inventory and I couldn't bring myself to play back through the stage. Absolutely horrible execution, marketing and game in general. Thanks GBX! Expand
  8. Feb 16, 2013
    I cant believe that mistake. The Ai is bad. the graphic is a disaster. and i pay for this 49 I have waiting for this game. Gearbox have make better games before.
  9. Feb 16, 2013
    Poor, dated visuals for this game isn't even half the problem, It has choppy game play that feels broken for the most part, unimaginable story and bad scripting. Don`t waste your money! Gearbox shouldn't be allowed to get away with this, People should check the comparison video on how it was and how it is now.
  10. Feb 16, 2013
    This is one of the worst first person shooters I have ever played its not the worst Gearbox's duke nuken forever takes that title but only just. Both titles are utter crap and gearbox should give up now. I will nerv buy another gearbox title again.
  11. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Este juego te lo venden como si fuera una obra de arte, y cuando lo vas a jugar parece un juego en estado Alpha, no llega a ser ni una beta... Pesima calidad en todos sus sentidos. 1/10 Expand
  12. Feb 19, 2013
    Pros: You get to shoot Aliens.
    (That's the only pro of the entire game)
    Cons: -Split screen is horizontal only -Co op doesn't allow 2nd person to save their own progress and character for those playing together at home. -Pathing is horrible for mobs AI team mates, they tend to get stuck -AI is poorly developed and doesn't offer challanges -Graphics were not as advertised and seem
    Pros: You get to shoot Aliens.
    (That's the only pro of the entire game)

Cons:
    -Split screen is horizontal only
    -Pathing is horrible for mobs AI team mates, they tend to get stuck
    -AI is poorly developed and doesn't offer challanges
    -Graphics were not as advertised and seem very dated like 6+ years -System was supposed to be built off "experience" idea. However Experience upgrades are limited and not very imaginative. You get a shot gun, now you have a shotgun with a scope...
    -mobs are cookie cutter and even human opponents tend to all look the same.
    -The tracker pinging for aliens when you aren't looking at it isn't very realistic. Being surprised would be nice, isn't that what all of the movies are about?
    -A map would come in handy.
    -Game is dark and turning up brightness doesn't help at all.

Don't buy this game, and be wary of pre ordering Gearbox games going forward.
  13. Mar 1, 2013
    I literally felt obligated to warn other people to avoid this game at all cost. I never felt so cheated from a gaming company as I do now with Aliens: Colonial Marines, everything about this game is bad except the rifle modifications and the gun sounds.. thats it.. I literally forced myself to beat the campaign since I love the aliens franchise, but I thought the story was terrible. The AII literally felt obligated to warn other people to avoid this game at all cost. I never felt so cheated from a gaming company as I do now with Aliens: Colonial Marines, everything about this game is bad except the rifle modifications and the gun sounds.. thats it.. I literally forced myself to beat the campaign since I love the aliens franchise, but I thought the story was terrible. The AI in the game is flipping terrible and the graphics are super outdated. I figured for a PC.. I would be able to turn the specs up, but your left with hardly any options. Lets just say that mass effect 1 on xbox has better graphics than this game and the AI was way better also. I took screenshots of all the horrible game design mechanics.. like the companion being attacked by an alien and some how it bugs out and he just stands straight up with his arms out.. while the alien is stuck between him and it looks like the marine guy has a huge alien pen*s. I have no clue why people love the sewer part.. wasn't scary in the slightest and you're telling me the 6 foot hole it makes is to tight for it to come down and kill you while you don't have any guns?? just stupid stuff like that through out the entire game. Please avoid since Gear Box only touched the multiplayer and they outsourced it to small companies to make the single player. Expand
  14. Mar 1, 2013
    Don't even bother. This game looked absolutely amazing in the trailer, but like so many others fell flat on it's face. It's a disgrace to mar the Aliens franchise with this BS.

First of all, the pulse rifle doesn't sound right. Secondly, it's over powered. You can tear an alien to shreds by merely showing it your weapon, yet human opponents can take several hits before they die.. duh, ok.

Aside from that unforgivable oversight, the game is VERY boring. Level design is pish, AI is pish, no tension, no action, BORING!!! That's about as much as I'm going to say, as this title doesn't justify the time I've already wasted on it. Gearbox, srsly.
  15. Apr 7, 2013
    The game itself is not THAT bad, i would give it 4/10 compared to other current AAA game releases.
    However, the amount of lies and misinformation from Gearbox should be punished so that other companies will learn the lesson from this. Hence the 0/10 rating.
  16. Mar 15, 2013
    This game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a muchThis game is nothing at all what the trailers promised. Weapons to be upgraded and customized in whichever way you choose, programmed by the creators of borderlands 2? This game is nothing but a half-assed piece of I find it hard to believe that this game took 4 years to complete because the creators of minecraft mods are able to create something much more creative and fun in a much shorter amount of time. True minecraft may be easier to work with when you don't have to worry about many things like graphics, but that's what so sad about it, minecraft doesn't need to be a fancy game to be fun. This game is an abomination and will more than likely leave a scar on the face of gearbox's franchise. If they hope to redeem themselves, then they had better work out a large rework of the game as well as some interesting DLCs for those who pre-purcased or purchased the season pass. Sadly this kind of lazy programming isn't exactly something unexpected as in borderlands 2 it runs rampant as well as the fanboy/girl programmers seemed to be too busy making easter eggs to reference other games and t.v. shows that they failed to do things such as perceive that a melee skill tree isn't too viable in a game based on mainly guns or that perhaps they need another use for eridium besides sdu upgrades, which become quickly maxed out, and raid bosses, which i don't understand the point of using eridium for anyways. Anyhow if gearbox isn't willing to give a full refund for all who purchased the game, especially those who pre-purchased it, then they honestly deserve to go under for their horrendous attention to their (once) loyal customers. Expand
  17. May 1, 2013
    I bought this for aliens, why im a sadled against humans most of the time.
    Why is the AI as dumb as a donkey, why isnt this what they advertised it to be.
    I gave no hoot to my fellow marines in this game cause there so uninterestingly boring.
    And the End boss omg, zero but absolutly ZERO inovation whatsoever.
    What a let down.
  18. May 21, 2014
    1st mission was average then the 2nd mission shoot the humans a rip off of call of duty THIS GAME I couldnt even finish it by level 8 i threw the game 3 times level 7 was the worst and for a huge fan of aliens people said this game was bad but i didnt listlen and now look were i am A 0 DONE
  19. Jun 25, 2013
    Another failure after a DNF. Bad graphics, boring gameplay. The game is appalling for its quality, it is strange that the second project after Duke Nukem Forever has such poor quality.
  20. Nov 7, 2013
    This game is Über crap. Pre-ordered the game. Biggest letdown of the year. graphics are outdated and gameplay is boring. No scares at all.. Don't waste money on this..
  21. Jul 5, 2014
    I have tried to like this game on the PC but to be honest I thought it was sub standard. I have the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010 which I think is graphically better, more atmospheric, has higher levels of tension & better level design than Aliens Colonial Marines even though this is a newer game. I have now uninstalled the travesty that is Aliens Colonial Marines. I am hoping that theI have tried to like this game on the PC but to be honest I thought it was sub standard. I have the Aliens vs Predator game from 2010 which I think is graphically better, more atmospheric, has higher levels of tension & better level design than Aliens Colonial Marines even though this is a newer game. I have now uninstalled the travesty that is Aliens Colonial Marines. I am hoping that the new Alien Isolation game is a good one when it's out later this year. Expand
  22. Jan 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh, Gamebox you **** it up, the AI is **** horrible, the friendly AI will **** kill you, and the Aliens literally stay there dancing, or they run right in front of your **** faces, the story is bull **** and now is **** canon for some god damn reason, in the final boss fight you just press some buttons, and it's **** over, and for most of the game you fight **** humans, well the multiplayer is ok, and some missions do have the Aliens feel, but this still a ****ty game, and now in the words of Hudson “Game Over Man". Expand
  23. Dec 12, 2014
    Mission 6: For Bella

Enters this facility with 3 guardians turrets and cant get past it because of a BUG! I saw a walk-through guide and the 2 npc's who is with the player at the time, is suppose to follow the player inside and come up with a solution to get by the turrets. In my game, they stand outside doing nothing. I seen this before in the game and when u reach some point, they
    Mission 6: For Bella

I saw a walk-through guide and the 2 npc's who is with the player at the time, is suppose to follow the player inside and come up with a solution to get by the turrets. In my game, they stand outside doing nothing. I seen this before in the game and when u reach some point, they start moving again and catch up. But this time, u cant go back or forward. U need those 2 inside, but they freeze outside. Game over!

So that said, they AI is broken, running around like chickens with no head, its pure FPS action - no scary elements u would otherwise link with an Alien game or movie. For a 2013 game, the graphic is terrible and a mess. In 1920*1200 resolution, I hit better at range with a red dot indicator, firing from the hib, then taking a aim.

All in all, not recommended and i just un-installed the game since im stocked half way through the game anyways.
  24. Jul 3, 2014
    i love the alien franchise, i always have, even since i was far too young to watch the movies. but this...........
    to be honest i wish i had never tarnished my memories with this game. to start it was virtually unplayable, in fact it just was unplayable. then i did a few recommended tweaks and it went up to the level of highly irritating.
    the brief time i have spent trying to persevere
    the brief time i have spent trying to persevere was seriously disappointing. either it would lag so bad that you die in seconds or the alien just stands there waiting for a bullet.
    then just to top it off, when you just want to close it and forget it ever happened it bugs out and constantly restarts itself until you have to turn off the computer. there is apparently a fix for this but i dont want to know. i paid £6.99 for it and its uninstalled never to be messed with again.
    maybe if it was a couple of tweaks and it was fine i could have enjoyed it. however i spent 6 hours trying to make this game playable. one of those was just trying to get the thing to shut down and stay shut down!
    frankly, i expected more in this day and age. considering AVP2 before this i was expecting something halfway decent, this is not it though. the standard of games these days is pretty good, and to fight for a corner of the market is tough. i think this was just a way to exploit alien fans and their curiosity.
    there is just nothing i can recommend about it. i regret buying it, i regret installing it, i regret trying to make it work and i regret not stopping to find out about it before i paid for it.
    save your money, buy a couple of beers and watch the movies. it would be a much better use of your time and money.

1. PC Master (Greece)