- Summary: In Aliens: Colonial Marines, players are part of a United States Colonial Marine squad and must prepare to face an Aliens assault more intense and horrific than ever before. Driven by an original story penned by renowned writers Bradley Thompson and David Weddle, Aliens: Colonial Marines retains the atmospheric look and feel of the original films while leveraging next-generation technology to create an entirely new interactive Aliens experience. Packing classic Aliens weaponry ranging from pulse rifles to flamethrowers as well as brand-new equipment and skills all within a squad-based combat system, players become an elite United States Colonial Marine. Featuring claustrophobic environments, a brooding soundtrack, and a multitude of surprises and shocks, players battle against menacing alien hordes in levels that include the stark interiors of the abandoned Sulaco and unique environments created specifically for the game. Aliens: Colonial Marines features a story driven single-player mode and an all-new four player co-op mode allowing players to share the chilling experience with three friends. In co-op mode, each player assumes the persona of a United States Colonial Marine and have a distinct role to play in the completion of every mission. [Sega]… Expand
Feb 12, 2013Here's the thing; if we take it as read that this review is simply a lengthy opinion proffered by a thundering nerd, all the score rating rests on is whether or not the person writing consistently enjoyed the game they were covering – and on that scale, Aliens Colonial Marines is a success. It actually feels like a product out of time; one of those scrappy FPS games mid-tier publishers could boot out between Triple-A titles back in the day, when Metacritic didn't exist and a studio wasn't shut down if the game they made failed to sell a bajillion copies.
Jun 10, 2013Judging by the result, Gearbox could not handle the tremendous success of Borderlands 2. On the other hand, there’s this erroneous notion that franchises can exploit their name and are justified to produce mediocre titles for ever. Those two facts were enough to condemn Aliens: Colonial Marines. While it’s true that the console version is even worse, the competition in the PC shooter genre, is relentless. [April 2013]
Feb 12, 2013Despite the game’s best intentions to immerse you in the Aliens universe, the result is a bloody massacre. Relying on dated storytelling techniques and technology, and stretching way too far to provide a plausible link between the second and third films, Aliens: Colonial Marines isn’t able to connect its action to any real sense of drama or terror, completely missing the aspect of psychological horror that gave the film its edge.
Feb 18, 2013Instead of an intense horror-experience with amazing action-scenes, Aliens: Colonial Marines manages to feel like an interactive extra on a bonus-dvd that came with the movie. The game is a horrible disappointment thanks to the Xeno’s lack of ferocity, the absence of an exciting story and many bad design decisions.
Feb 13, 2013Half-cooked, bereft of ideas and technically despicable, this would-be triple-A production is an overblown movie tie-in to a flick you wouldn't want to see. Randy Pitchford once said 'if you've seen the film it's fan service, and if you haven't seen them it's content'. Content it is, but I doubt any fan will deem this a service to their liking. Quite the contrary: When it comes to video games, H.R. Giger's movie-monsters are done for until further notice.
Feb 14, 2013Sometimes a Hollywood studio tries to make a blockbuster, but the end result is so dumb and pathetic that you can’t stop chuckling while watching it. Aliens: Colonial Marines is a game equivalent of that kind of failure. So do yourself a favor – wait until it hits $4,99 on Steam (oh, it will!), buy it, gather your friends, and get ready to laugh for four hours straight.
Feb 12, 2013The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.
Feb 13, 2013I had mega low expectations for this game and so far Screw all the people who pick at every little thing. It is fun and i am gonna rate it a 100 just to offset all the scores it is getting. Like everyone says its a bit easy and its not scary enough just case there is too many lights. its a little easy so far so play on hard. BUT IT IS FUN it has satisfying physics and aliens popping with acid spraying. The campaign definitely brings me back into the classic movie and all the sounds are spot on. So far the multiplayer is surprisingly fun too, not quite as awesome as avp2 survivor mode but definitely comparable to left 4 dead 2. fun and crazy in its own way its just sad the online matches cant host more people. So yes i am glad i got it and if u like aliens half as much as i do i suggest you get it to.… Expand
Feb 13, 2013The trouble I find with a game like this is everyone has such high expectations and only seems to like to pick out the bad bits, completely forgetting the rest.
It's an Aliens game, its going to be limited in what it can do without destroying it's own universe (you may think all the AVP films and games did that, but lets forget those never happened), throw in that any high budget game is nearly always made for the console then ported to the PC and you have another issue, technology limitations. So why expect something that it never will be?
Starting with the good:
- You got to be a fan of the film, not the franchise, just the film. I mean the sort of fan that will watch it a few times a year and can recite most of the quotes. If you're not then you'll probably just think of it as a generic shooter. Which I am!
- Sounds and music are great, it really does sound like a pulse rifle and motion tracker, and lets face it you'll pretty much just be using those the whole game.
- Some nice touches re-creating the Aliens scenery, finding the med bay, the room where Burke let a facehugger loose on Ripley and Newt, and even the trike you see at the beginning of the directors cut.
- First time around it's great to shoot up a load of Aliens, hordes of them and even the single hunters that hide and wait for you. Can get old fast with the AI Marines with you though.
- Fun coop on Ultimate Badass mode, provided you haven't played the single player yet. "You go first", "No YOU go first"
The no so impressive side:
- Buggy AI, seems to get stuck sometimes and teleport in front of you. Not sure what that's about but there has been worse around. Give it a rest.
- Can't use the motion tracker to find enemies in the next room until you open the door and get attacked. Maybe they're just not moving, it is a 'motion' tracker and not a 'stationary' tracker after all.
- Fight too many humans, a little was fine but bleh, it's called Aliens so should have lots of them!
- Checkpoints seem to make things behind you disappear, leaving no reason to watch your six.
Non-Issues, things people whine about because they can:
- Graphics look a bit flat, but it doesn't struggle. The Sulaco and Hadleys Hope wasnt exactly build with textured wallpaper.
- Story and Voice acting. It's not the best but it's about as annoying as being forced to cut your toenails once in a while. It's minimal and you just deal with it.
- Marines get a boost in multiplayer just by playing the campaign making being an alien rather difficult to begin with.
That's all, now please stop whining.… Expand
Feb 12, 2013This game is not recommended, its a bad PC port for starters, the singelplayer story is neither good nor bad, The AI is broken and not at all challenging, They introduced a expensive DLC pass with content cut from the game, that they expect us to pay for. The multiplayer has some potential, but its not worth it, considering you pay a full price for a game that you finish the singerplayer in less than 10 hours, and a multiplayer thats hardly worth it as a alone light in the darkness.… Expand
Aug 31, 2013Easily one of the most disappointing games of 2013, I am a huge fans of Aliens and I couldn't wait to play this game when it got announced many years ago. When I played this game I was greeted with terrible graphics, boring gameplay, horrible A.I and boring story. I just can't believe that FOX has approved this and made it canon to the film! What a joke.
On the bright side, The multi-player was fun while it lasted, Shame really as Gearbox seemed to care more about the online gameplay than the actual campaign.
If you REALLY want to play this... Well you know what to do.… Expand
Mar 13, 2013The marriage of a first-person shooter and the Alien franchise should be a perfect fit, especially from Gearbox, a team rooted in the genre. And yet, the pairing eludes a happy ending once again. Aliens: Colonial Marines isn't disappointing because it couldn't live up to lofty expectations, it's disappointing because it turned out to be such an unfettered disaster.… Expand
- (2 views)