Alone in the Dark PC

5.7

1. CanadianH.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I really don't understand what all the fuss is about; I bought a Logitech Rumble 2 (great product) and had one of the best times in recent history playing through this game. I would highly recommend it if you own a good pad, or invest in one. Console ports are here to stay, and if they're like AITD, I'm more than a happy camper. Good on them!
  2. bioshake
    Aug 31, 2008
    This game is probably the most underrated title in the history of PC games... Apparently the FPS generation just doesn't get it and what I do not get is why a game that in its control scheme is so very similar to Resident Evil 4, why everyone is dumping on it. Like RE4, the controls are set up in easy FPS mode because its a SURVIVAL HORROR game. Take the time to learn them and This game is probably the most underrated title in the history of PC games... Apparently the FPS generation just doesn't get it and what I do not get is why a game that in its control scheme is so very similar to Resident Evil 4, why everyone is dumping on it. Like RE4, the controls are set up in easy FPS mode because its a SURVIVAL HORROR game. Take the time to learn them and you'll find the game is actually fun, very immersive and extremely atmospheric. There is destruction on a level of epicness in a game that I have never experience and I've been playing games for a very long time and it gets pretty intense. Sure you die a lot, but the game does a really good job and creating subtle little 'checkpoints' so you don't get frustrated at having to do everyone over again. The use of the physics and fire and how they play a puzzle role in the game is nothing short of brilliant. There is about 100 different ways you can dispatch enemies, create items and explosives and even trails to them. I also really enjoyed the inventory system, it's real time, looks very cool and keeps the game engaging while in combat. The graphics are amazinging. The fire effects are by far the best I have ever seen in a game and the level of detail on the characters models in jaw dropping. I mean you can see their pores and it looks fantastic. The lighting, shadows and bump mapping are all done extremely well too. And the game runs very well given how it looks. I have no idea about why people are complaining about the bugs, I have yet to find a single one. As far as the 3rd person and 1st person complains they aren't very well grounded. It's a very understandable design decision. The game goes into 3rd person mode automatically to give you a hint that you need to interact with the environment to advance and the transition between the two is seemless - you simply push a button to toggle between them. Why would you complain about having to use first person mode to use your fire extinguisher? It's not a weapon and the only time you need to go into 1st person mode to use it is to extinguish flame (non combat activity) the rest of the time you are using it to bash doors down and that's it. What's to complain about? If you could use the fire extinguisher in 3rd person mode you wouldn't hit a lick of flame because it requires precise use of the analog stick to do. DO NOT play this game without an xbox 360 controller, very frustrating to attempt analog feats in the game with the keyboard. Keep an open mind when you play this game and allow yourself to get into its style and I promise you won't be disappointed. Expand
  3. DanielM
    Oct 8, 2008
    Great game. Controls take a bit of getting used to but if you go through the entire game you'll walk away feeling the experience was worth it. Most people giving these poor ratings haven't played the game from start to finish or have some kind of bias against the game.
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    It's funny that how critic fanboys are discliking this game.
    Seriously dont listen to critic's this game is great!
    If you are listening to critic's then you are not a gamer.
    You should have your own opinion.
  5. CloeteJ.
    Sep 4, 2008
    Although this game has flaws its story line is great. It also has that epic feel to it. So it deserves a good rating.
  6. BellinoP.
    Jul 2, 2008
    It a game that dares to be different and has some bugs, but over all it
  7. JohnnyM.
    Oct 14, 2008
    Right from the beginning of the design of this game it was clear that those responsible were looking to skirt the boundaries of what (not just first-person) gameplay could mean. Far from the point-and-shoot-and-collect-ammo-from-the-fallen, this game forces you to think on your feet. Combining items in your inventory in the split second you've managed to avoid an attack, making quick Right from the beginning of the design of this game it was clear that those responsible were looking to skirt the boundaries of what (not just first-person) gameplay could mean. Far from the point-and-shoot-and-collect-ammo-from-the-fallen, this game forces you to think on your feet. Combining items in your inventory in the split second you've managed to avoid an attack, making quick decisions whether or not this is a fight you could win, for those who insist on interest and challenge in their games this is the real deal. Having played the game with only a mouse and keyboard, I agree to the criticisms of it being awkward... for the first five minutes. Through proper acclimatization (ie. actually taking time to figure out how the game works) it springs out at you from a genre dominated by the same old weapons, the same old regenerative health system, and lack of engrossing situation. As a gamer I looked at it tentatively, having paid too much to the critical feedback. I cannot say enough about this game to those looking for more from their game collection. Expand
  8. Jimmybean
    Jul 7, 2008
    The people who don't like this game are simply those who are new to games. IOW, MTV gamers, people who have no appreciation of where games actually came from. If it was not for alone in the dark and virtua fighter i doubt we would have quite so many 3d games, or at least the 2d ones would have lived a lot longer. Yes, the controls do kind of suck, but so did those in the original. The people who don't like this game are simply those who are new to games. IOW, MTV gamers, people who have no appreciation of where games actually came from. If it was not for alone in the dark and virtua fighter i doubt we would have quite so many 3d games, or at least the 2d ones would have lived a lot longer. Yes, the controls do kind of suck, but so did those in the original. The people who liked alone in the dark will like this remake. Expand
  9. DaveT
    Aug 4, 2008
    10 Rating to offset the 0 from Daniel L who seems ot have a vendetta against the publisher.
  10. AlkaH
    Aug 4, 2008
    This game is a nightmare. gameplay is good. Story is better.
  11. BenoitH.
    Nov 3, 2008
    It's a different game with a different kind of immersion. I'm buying almost all the best games for PC and i have to admit that often the best critical successes are boring - always the same things to do, same control scheme, same graphics... I bought that game for 19.99, a real steal... Use a gamepad, a XBOX 360 controller if you have that hardware.
  12. MarioA
    Oct 26, 2008
    Good game. The controls aren't much of a problem. I played it with mouse and keyboard. MAybe the controls are unfamiliar because the character moves on a 1st person perspective when using the 3rd person perspective. But those experienced gamers might remember, AITD1, 2, and 3 had the same controls. Great story and graphics, some bugs that's why the 8. Worth buying.
  13. BF
    Jun 29, 2008
    I don't know what you all are expecting, but this is not the worst game in the world, as you try to make it seem. Graphics are great, not the best, but great. It does a good job of making you feel like your character, a "normal" man with no knowledge of who he is, waking up in a world that's falling apart around him, and you do whatever you can to survive. I also like that you I don't know what you all are expecting, but this is not the worst game in the world, as you try to make it seem. Graphics are great, not the best, but great. It does a good job of making you feel like your character, a "normal" man with no knowledge of who he is, waking up in a world that's falling apart around him, and you do whatever you can to survive. I also like that you ARE "normal" and don't have "superhuman" abilities. So don't expect to be Bruce Lee, or Marcus Phoenix coming in with fantastic fighting styles or evasive, experienced military moves for combat. Where would be the real sense in danger if you did? It is what it is, fellas. I also love the "healing" factor in the game, and the fact that your inventory is limited to what you can hold in your jacket. FINALLY some inventory realism, and not someone who's able to mysteriously carry 15 different automatic rifles, hiding 120 invisible clips (god knows where), which, even if there was a feasable graphic to show such an inventory, would encumber someone to immobility. Come on now... Voice acting is not the best, but it's by far not the worst. Have you ever played the original Resident Evil? My god... the voice acting on that was good for laughs, and that's it. This is far better than that... I also love the variety of weaponry you can create! Moltaiv Cocktails (however it's spelled), aerosol can and a lighter... now who hasn't imagined using that combo as a useful weapon? The only unrealistic weapon I see is adding fuel to your bullets, but one little thing isn't going to kill the game for me, I simply don' t use it. As far as the usage of chairs, or whatever else you pick up as a weapon... like I said, this is not Bruce Lee or anything, so your average joe will have a bit of difficulty using a chair as a weapon, so don't be expecting to fling it around as though you've been battling off hordes of enemies with a chair your entire life. It SHOULD be awkward at first. The only things I'll give you, are the control system is a bit clunky, and the switch to first and third person view can be disorienting, but you get used to it after a while; and the sound is a bit muted in my opinion. I have to crank my TV up higher than ever to get a satisfying volume from it. You'll especially notice a lack in luster in the sounds while in the driving scenes. All in all, it's not perfect. That I'll admit. But it is by far the best Horror Survival game I've seen since the Resident Evil series (which has taken bad turns in and of itself). So it lives up to it's genre. Replay value may be an issue, so it may end up being better in the "rental" setup... but then again, how different was the Resident Evil experience each time you played through it? That was one of the greats. It's all a matter of how much you can immerse yourself into the game. Also, today's society is spoiled, expecting everything to be easy and handed to them. Thinking the world owes them for the... endless... back breaking... "work"? God, does that even exist anymore? If so, why is the majority of our society insanely obese? Yah, y'all have it hard... Not all games are going to be easy, ladies. Also, if you're running on a PC version, well, all PC's are different, and most people who give games bad reviews are running on sub-standard equipment anyways, and are reviewing unfairly. There's also incompatibility issues which your standard joe-blow gamer out there are never aware of, and end up cursing computers left and right. Again, unfair reviewing. Expand
  14. Aug 21, 2012
    This game is with fantastic graphics, physics, interesting story line and gameplay.
    Two not big downsides is sometimes hard and strange control and not big bugs.
    After I grasp control I just love this game.
  15. Oct 30, 2013
    It may be a bit repetitive at times but it certainly does not deserve the bad reviews it got. I had a good deal of fun with this game. It certainly stands out from other horror titles.
  16. NunoD.
    Sep 10, 2008
    I think the game is not so bad. I think that is a good game and the criticism is anfair. I´ve played games much worst. I spend very good hours whith this incredible game.
  17. DennisT.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This is a good game. I can't understand why some guys and reviews give bad rating... The gameplay is not horrible, maybe you're a noob... yes the gameplay could be better, but it's not horrible. There some really nice ideas... I can write more and more good things about this game, but don't trust the press.
  18. LeeK.
    Jul 13, 2008
    This game is a wonderful once through experience. If you can get your head around the awful controls (that arent that bad once you've mastered them) its a pretty good game. Graphically its outstanding, technically... well... I can see what they were trying to do and it some parts have succeeded. To bad that the overall game isnt very consistent. I purchased this game for £20 This game is a wonderful once through experience. If you can get your head around the awful controls (that arent that bad once you've mastered them) its a pretty good game. Graphically its outstanding, technically... well... I can see what they were trying to do and it some parts have succeeded. To bad that the overall game isnt very consistent. I purchased this game for £20 and I have to say I've loved it (Not every second) but the music, acting (bad in a few places), locations and story (far fetched but worthy) cant really be the reason you point at this game and say... this games shit because of that. The controls I feel have let this entire game down and maybe the combat. Alone in the Dark is innovative, atmospheric and beautiful. If you brush aside the "hard to ignore" glitches and bugs. Expand
  19. DanL.
    Sep 1, 2008
    Brilliant game, i don't understand at all how most people came to think this game was flawed, apart from the drawn out end.
  20. KainK
    Feb 13, 2009
    If judging by "how good the GAME is". But the great game itself is, unfortunately, buried under a pile of bugs, crashes and stupid decisions. It needs a patch, so it will turn into something you have never played before
  21. smyers
    Jul 24, 2009
    it should score higher than its has done. great story and great game play. good dramatic events and lots of interesting ideas. you owe it to yourself to try it. you can buy it for £5 now money well spent.
  22. ShaunM.
    Jun 19, 2008
    A fab game, love everything about it, the problem? Well I completed it in a day.... and theres no multiplayer, but otherwise its 100% one of the best survival horrors I've ever played.
  23. CobusS.
    Jun 27, 2008
    This is not a FPS, so if that is what you were looking for, please read the details on the box. Give a game an honest rating according to it's gatagory.
  24. toms.
    Aug 28, 2008
    I really enjoyed this game, and I think you will too if you are a fan of games like Resident Evil 4, Call of Cthuhlu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and that old Gamecube game Eternal Darkness. If you are expecting a traditional FPS shooter, prepare to be disappointed with the somewhat wonky controls and uneven pacing - but this is a really fun and ambitious action/adventure game despite its I really enjoyed this game, and I think you will too if you are a fan of games like Resident Evil 4, Call of Cthuhlu: Dark Corners of the Earth, and that old Gamecube game Eternal Darkness. If you are expecting a traditional FPS shooter, prepare to be disappointed with the somewhat wonky controls and uneven pacing - but this is a really fun and ambitious action/adventure game despite its flaws. I definitely recommend the console version as I imagine the game's flaws will be amplified more on the PC. Normally an 8.5 but I want to bring the average up a bit since I feel this game has been unfairly rated due to inappropriate expectations. Expand
  25. TrueGamer
    Sep 16, 2008
    I don't know if it played differently on other systems but i played it on PC with a 360 controller.... I LOVE THIS games! Yea the learning curve on the controls was about 30 mins but after you get them down you don't want to go back to the traditional controlling of games... dont put the game down just because your to dumb to figure out how it works.
  26. May 27, 2014
    The game is good I played it 5 hours nonstop and it actually makes me eager to play the game, the graphic is good, Nice story and some of Its features are also very satisfying, I love it

1. It has more than enough good ideas to make a brilliant, must-own game, but features even more bad game design and gameplay issues. As such it's without doubt the biggest disappointment this generation of consoles has seen and a game that's impossible to recommend.
  2. Alone in the Dark proves that with a little time and patience, a good game can be created from innovative ideas.
  3. There are some unique ideas concerning health replenishment and inventory management.