Alpha Prime PC

6.1

1. ShadowHawk81AKADoomsaya
    Nov 8, 2007
    To all FPS fans. Lets face it. These days to find a really unique FPS isn't to look for a FPS at all. FOr the genre to change these days. Its going to have to include some major makovers. And, I am positive more than half of you, not even me, could think of an idea to quench that thirst. Might as well be thirsty for what is good. And this game is an average story with amature voice To all FPS fans. Lets face it. These days to find a really unique FPS isn't to look for a FPS at all. FOr the genre to change these days. Its going to have to include some major makovers. And, I am positive more than half of you, not even me, could think of an idea to quench that thirst. Might as well be thirsty for what is good. And this game is an average story with amature voice acting. But overall, the action is fun. And it brings tactical gameplay for when you are in less of a mood for mindless mass-kill. The best part is, there arent a lot of Sci-Fi shooters without Demons, monsters, and out of this world aliens. This one feels a little more real. Liek a sci fi TV show. Something liek Stargate or Outer Limits Sci Fi. If you like sci-fi and the price seems certainly worth it, dont pass it up. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2011
    Alpha Prime takes what was standard 10+ years ago and throws it all into a 2007 game. Had this come out in 1998 or so it would have earned a Metacritic score of around 80, I'd guess, but its design is almost embarrassingly outdated today. However, I grew up with the evolution of shooters through the 1990s and Alpha Prime is a satisfying throwback for gamers in their 30s, like me. I giveAlpha Prime takes what was standard 10+ years ago and throws it all into a 2007 game. Had this come out in 1998 or so it would have earned a Metacritic score of around 80, I'd guess, but its design is almost embarrassingly outdated today. However, I grew up with the evolution of shooters through the 1990s and Alpha Prime is a satisfying throwback for gamers in their 30s, like me. I give this game a solid 7 because it's now a $5 direct download from Amazon, except that it was part of their 2010 end-of-year sale and I paid literally pocket change for it: $1.25. This game is still worth $5 easily, almost *because* there are plenty of amusingly nostalgic gameplay elements for people who have been around a while. Expand
  3. KyleB
    Dec 23, 2009
    This game is really underrated. It reminds me of System Shock 2 and Unreal 2. It is great for a small company to release. I bought it for $2.70 off steam and it is truly worth at least 10. The physics, graphics and hud are great. AI can be dumb sometimes. Voice acting is par, cut scenes should be shorter. The gameplay is standard but it is still fun to play.
  4. TerryD.
    May 23, 2007
    Tedious and a chore to play puts it pretty well. The main issue is the balance of the game is off, the weapons are mostly ineffective against the bad guys
  5. DuncanM.
    Apr 6, 2008
    I only played the demo, but I found it to be not unlike Half Life 2. It does have some decent graphics, and manages to have levels that DON'T seem like a straight path, but I found the controls to be jerky, and the voice acting sad. If it had been reworked a little I'm sure it could have made a great game.
  6. Shinuz
    Jul 31, 2008
    Well i haven't finished it yet (just started lvl 5) but i can say that i really like it. The graphics are quite good kinda like a mix from fear and doom3 and the environments in which you play are nicely done also it runs perfectly at max setting on my computer (P4 3ghz, Geforce 7800) and the music is really nice as well. (btw you can download the soundtrack from the official Well i haven't finished it yet (just started lvl 5) but i can say that i really like it. The graphics are quite good kinda like a mix from fear and doom3 and the environments in which you play are nicely done also it runs perfectly at max setting on my computer (P4 3ghz, Geforce 7800) and the music is really nice as well. (btw you can download the soundtrack from the official website) As far as the story goes it won't win any awards but its alright for a fps i guess.. Oh and this game is hard even on normal settings.. Prepare to get killed a lot hehe If it weren't for some minor little bugs i'd probably would have given it an 8 out of 10. Anyway im looking forward to Black Element's future projects. Expand
  7. RadekJ.
    Jun 24, 2007
    I was really charmed by this game. A simple but solid shooter, only thing it lacks is more terrain variation and in game candy. The only time you actually get to leave the monotonous "sci-fi-doom3 type of" enviroments is when your supposed to drive this silly little jeep on the planets surface. Bad. However the good part and the really special thing about this game is the storyline. Sure, I was really charmed by this game. A simple but solid shooter, only thing it lacks is more terrain variation and in game candy. The only time you actually get to leave the monotonous "sci-fi-doom3 type of" enviroments is when your supposed to drive this silly little jeep on the planets surface. Bad. However the good part and the really special thing about this game is the storyline. Sure, some bad acting and all that. But still the storyline is a really ambitious attempt at making soomthing more interesting than your average save the earth pc game story. All in all a solid 7, I'm looking forward to the sequel. Expand
  8. TomH.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Was a decent fps if you had nothing else to play. but the ending...the most bogus one in any game ive ever played. still not sure if it was the ending.lol.
  9. Musicrab
    Jun 24, 2007
    Repetitive and hard work. Weapons are puny so you need lots of ammo which there isn't (playing on hard). End up relying on random grenade thows to clear out rooms. And that's all there is. 1 room linked by a corridor linked to another room. Little variety of scenery. And terrible (and long) diallogue bits. Average. Very.
  10. KeaB
    Dec 3, 2009
    Alpha Prime it's a raw game, it doesn't have the care of those AAA blockbusters, but it isn't a bad game. The gameplay is good, at least if you understand that take cover and lean left or right are the way to save your ass from those crazy robots, prospector and company soldier. The story is nice, not the best on the sci-fi genre but nice, but the cinematic scene are a bit Alpha Prime it's a raw game, it doesn't have the care of those AAA blockbusters, but it isn't a bad game. The gameplay is good, at least if you understand that take cover and lean left or right are the way to save your ass from those crazy robots, prospector and company soldier. The story is nice, not the best on the sci-fi genre but nice, but the cinematic scene are a bit too long. The use of the wireless hacking tool is a good thing, but in the final part of the game it is rarely used, that was a shame Expand
  11. HetH.
    Nov 14, 2007
    Nothing new, but I found it a fun game nonetheless...It doesn't aspire to be HL2 or Doom3, but it presents a fun, immersive game in it's own manner, and at the price I thought it was a good buy. It doesn't play like a console port but is a solid, down-to-Earth PC adventure/FPS.
  12. DavinF
    Dec 29, 2009
    If you play this game with the speech off, it's not that bad. The voice acting is the single most detractor from this game. The levels are all fairly decent, with a nice mix of industrial settings and a fair bit of detail. The AI is pretty bad, but that's more or less standard fare for this caliber of shooter. Overall, not a bad game, not a great game - but definitely worth a look!
  13. Oct 3, 2010
    Hell.This game is really hard even on easy difficulty.If you headshot an enemy you wont do much a lot more damage than shooting him in the leg.But they would.You can die a lot especially if youre a beginner.The story is far from new as for the weapons they kinda look a bit old.Almost no vehicles just a rusty buggy and the final boss was far from hard to beat.Even a 5-years old could beatHell.This game is really hard even on easy difficulty.If you headshot an enemy you wont do much a lot more damage than shooting him in the leg.But they would.You can die a lot especially if youre a beginner.The story is far from new as for the weapons they kinda look a bit old.Almost no vehicles just a rusty buggy and the final boss was far from hard to beat.Even a 5-years old could beat him.Lol.Still the gamplay is pretty ok and doesn't have bugs.Many. Expand
  14. Nov 21, 2010
    Great game, especially at the price of $10 that I got it for. This is just a good old school style shooter, no special physics and crazy alien weaponry. The story was interesting and the voice acting was amateur, but charming in its own way. As simple as the game is, it's good that it wasn't overly long and it managed to keep me entertained the entire way through. I'd highly recommend it,Great game, especially at the price of $10 that I got it for. This is just a good old school style shooter, no special physics and crazy alien weaponry. The story was interesting and the voice acting was amateur, but charming in its own way. As simple as the game is, it's good that it wasn't overly long and it managed to keep me entertained the entire way through. I'd highly recommend it, and now it's only $4.99 on Steam. Expand
  15. Feb 16, 2016
    Based on the reviews, I was expecting a really badly made game. However, I was somewhat surprised. Sure, Alpha Prime is nothing extraordinary, but it's not crap by any means either.

It's a standard corridor FPS with a story. If you like FPS games, there is nothing to complain about here, aside from perhaps the difficulty being a bit too high. I've played on Easy and even then some sections were unusually hard and caused me to die many times.

The story isn't bad either. Again, it's nothing groundbreaking, but for an FPS game it's pretty decent. Most FPS games don't make anywhere near the effort in the story department as Alpha Prime does. The cutscenes and the radio dialogue sections between the characters were a nice addition to keep the game interesting. Most characters were developed reasonably well in terms of personality.

The graphics are very nice. Considering the game came out in 2007, those are pretty decent visuals, even by today's standards. The music is also not bad. There are only about 1 or 2 jarring heavy rock tracks, but the rest of the soundtrack is pretty good and gives a nice epic feel to the battles.

The enemy variety could've certainly used some work. You spend a good 80% of the game just fighting spec ops, which gets repetitive eventually. There are some other gameplay sections added too, like hacking, and using a loader to move boxes out of the way, which is a nice change of pace, even if some sections were quite annoying. The loader in particular was difficult to control, and having to move a dozen of boxes out of the way just felt like a waste of time.

In general the game is not as bad as the reviews claim it to be. It's just a standard, above average FPS that will keep you entertained for a few hours. If you are into the genre, give it a try, otherwise pass it up.
  16. Jul 2, 2011
    Classic FPS players will probably love this game. I wouldn't call it average - I think it just stays true to many of the aspects that make a great FPS game. It delivers challenging game-play with excellent graphics, good sound, and maybe not-so-great cut-scenes... but fortunately you can skip right through the voice acting if you dont like it. Its definitely worth a few dollars forClassic FPS players will probably love this game. I wouldn't call it average - I think it just stays true to many of the aspects that make a great FPS game. It delivers challenging game-play with excellent graphics, good sound, and maybe not-so-great cut-scenes... but fortunately you can skip right through the voice acting if you dont like it. Its definitely worth a few dollars for several hours of fun. Expand
  17. Sep 16, 2015
    About as bland as a game gets. The gameplay is smooth, even if nothing notable, the levels are boring, the enemies are dull, the weapons are... there. Seriously, nothing in this game stands out as either amazing or terrible. The voice acting is pretty bad I guess, but that's about it. Oh! One big complaint. Apparently the enemies weren't programmed to miss, so on any difficulty theyAbout as bland as a game gets. The gameplay is smooth, even if nothing notable, the levels are boring, the enemies are dull, the weapons are... there. Seriously, nothing in this game stands out as either amazing or terrible. The voice acting is pretty bad I guess, but that's about it. Oh! One big complaint. Apparently the enemies weren't programmed to miss, so on any difficulty they hit you with every shot, all the time. You've been warned... Expand
  18. Oct 13, 2013
    If you're going to focus a lot on story exposition and cutscenes then I suggest possibly getting a proper writer and voice recordist in. Some of the dialogue seems to have been written by dice and recorded in totally different places. As to the game mechanics. Very average.
  19. Apr 24, 2013
    +Action action action
    +Story was pretty interesting
    +I liked the characters +Visuals are alright, marginally worse than Doom 3 but still pretty good +Fairly middle length at 5 hours -environments don't have much variety even the last cavern styled place but you really can't expect much else from a low oxygen environment on some rock. -Hopping onto the tram feels awkward considering
    +Action action action
    +Story was pretty interesting
    +I liked the characters
    +Visuals are alright, marginally worse than Doom 3 but still pretty good
    +Fairly middle length at 5 hours

-Hopping onto the tram feels awkward considering the jump causes you to bounce off stuff as soon as you so much as nudge the ceiling or edge of something, they really should have turned off that bounce affect to give it smooth movement like half-life
    -falling damage is ridiculous, you can't fall more than 1 meter without taking damage, made me scared to do anything
  20. Jul 24, 2014
    Very, very VERY standard shooter fare without any noticeable highlights. Ok as an in-between, but not quite an experience. Great for playing while watching TV in the background.
  21. Aug 9, 2014
    Alpha prime is a first person sci-fi action game developed by Meridian4. For this review I am not going to spoil anything in this review, even though the story isn't very exciting i will just give a brief summary of the starting story as an exception. It revolves around protaganist who is recruited to rescue a friend from an evil space corporation, while fighting enemies.

Visually, this

Visually, this game's graphics aren't the best around, but they do look OK and do a tolerable job. The art style fits the game's setting and overall story well in my opinion. The particle effects are nice however, like when I shoot a wall it sprays dust everywhere, but there's not much more to it. Graphics are overall OK.

The shooting mechanics are a bit awkward at times, as the enemies take up a lot of bullets before they fall dead and it is hard to tell if you hit your target, as the cross-hair is very thick and wide and blood doesn't fly out of your enemies very far,so long distance shooting is a bit of a chore. But the difficulty almost killed the whole experience for me. I played the game on normal difficulty (Out of Easy, Normal or Hard) and found the game becoming a grind after playing for about 45 minutes. If an enemy catches you before you can react, you can be killed by even the lowest level enemies, taking off lots of health with few bullets. Now, imagine that but times 15 and having to defend someone on however much ammo and health you have. That explains a tedious, grind-worthy defense level, which took multiple attempts for me. My problem with the difficulty is that it's misleading how difficult it actually is, and the unbalanced level design prior to enemy placement. I don't even want to play on hard, after i got my arse kicked on normal difficulty.

The soundtrack for the game isn't too special itself, but fits well and reminds me of the Quake 2 soundtrack a lot, which is a good thing.

After playing for about 4 hours, I haven't come across any really bad bugs, aside from the gaming crashing every time I try to leave.

So to conclude, Alpha Prime is an OK FPS that falls short in gun-play and story, but does a nice job graphically, soundtrack wise and is actually a very stable game. 6 out of 10

1. PC Format
    Pretty but tedious, Alpha Prime is a solid but supremely derivative shooter that's more often a chore than a pleasure. [June 2007, p.60]
  2. PC Zone UK
    Alpha Prime, with a passable storyline and passable gameplay, is a little passable anomaly. [July 2007, p.77]
  3. PC Gamer UK